Problem encountered while upgrading to firmware 3.0

by jakster

2009-06-14
I have a new G-System I've been familiarizing myself with and enjoying until this morning, when I attempted to upgrade the firmware in my unit from 2.0 to 3.0 so as to be able to edit presets from my Mac using the Vyzor software.

I downloaded the upgrade software, connected the G-System to the Mac with the USB cable, and initiated the upgrade process. At the end of the upgrade process, the computer displayed a message that the upgrade had failed and that I should try again. The G-System was displaying a message indicating "firmware burning" so I didn't bother it. However, after several hours this message was still displayed, so I repowered the G-System. The G-System is now dead--the display panel on the floorboard lights up, but no message is displayed--and the upgrade utility does cannot detect the G-System when connected via USB. I've tried repowering several times, disconnecting/reconnecting cables, Cat5 connections, etc., but to no avail.

I'm coming to the conclusion that I'll need to have the unit serviced, but thought I'd check in here first to ascertain if anyone (Laird?) might have other suggestions before I pack up the system and ship it off to the service center in Canada.

Thanks for your help and perspective.

J