Midas MR18 AUX Outputs to Behringer HA6000 AUX Inputs

New
2020-11-18

Hey! I have a Midas MR18 digital mixer (similar to the Behringer XR18) and want to connect from its (balanced XLR, mono) AUX outputs to the (unbalanced TRS, stereo) AUX inputs of a Behringer HA6000 headphone amplifier.

Depending on the number of participants (mix-minus feeds for each), I would like to support the following two scenarios:

1. stereo (L/R) headphone monitoring up to 4 people (Midas MR18 limit)

2. mono (R+R) headphone monitoring up to 6 people (Behringer HA6000 limit)

To be sure not to damage anything, I'd rather not start experimenting with different cables. Therefore, I have two questions (and a follow-up question, depending on the answer of the 2nd question):

Question 1: Would a 2x XLR female to TRS male cable (wired as illustrated below) work for stereo (L/R) headphone monitoring (scenario 1), connecting (paired) MR18 AUX outputs to single AUX inputs of the HA6000?

This would accomodate 3 headphones (AUX outputs only), or even 4 headphones (if I use the MR18 Main L/R outputs as well), to enjoy stereo monitoring.

Question 2: Would the same cable also work for mono (R+R) headphone monitoring (scenario 2), when simply not connecting one of the XLR ends and pressing the "MONO R" button on the HA6000, or is leaving the ring (or tip) signal of the TRS cable "floating" like this a really bad idea?

This would accomodate 6 headphones to be able to monitor in mono (mirrored).

Question 2b: In case using the same cable for scenario 2 is not recommended (see above, question 2), would an XLR female to TS male cable be advised?

Thanks a lot for any help with this! I've been searching the internet for hours already, but could not find any definitive answers to these questions. It seems not a straightforward thing, wanting to connect the MR18 to a HA6000, or similar device with unbalanced stereo inputs.

Note: I currently also own the Behringer AMP800 (which has balanced inputs and allows the use of regular XLR to TRS cables) but I want more connectivity options. Unfortunately, it seems headphone amps with more balanced inputs are not that common.