Why does my Behringer output at a quiet level?

New

Problem : I don't appear to be able to record a full 'waveform'. Recordings are clipping much earlier than it should when using the Behringer Audio interface

info: I have an Audio Tehnica 2020 mic going into a U-Phoria UMC204HD going straight into my PC via USB, and into Audacity.

When I was recording my waveforms weren't that large (or loud). I therefore decided to see what the maximum levels i could record to see how much headroom i was able to play with

Test1 - Mic levels at 100% on the Behringer: PC record level at 100%, shouting into mic (maxed out/ hot/distortion to be expected)

Result: Clipping and distortion occours at the 50% mark on the waveform - Image 1

This makes me wonder my clipping wasn't happening at a much louder level? Should it not clip when the waveform is fatter/louder

This makes me wonder why when I record normally, things are quiet. I don't appear to have the full headroom to play with. as clipping happens much sooner than expected.

Test2 - used my BOSE headphone microphone, NOT going through the Uphoria, straight into Audacity - image 2

Here I seem to have a much bigger dynamic range as the waveform is fatter and almost to the full.

As this test was not going through my Behringer I am wondering if that is the problem

The Behringer is only a couple of months old, and hardly used. Could anyone give me some ideas for further testing? or options, or could the Behringer be faulty