Statistics

261,463 members
140,188 posts
  • FBCS
    Contributor - Level 2
    2020-05-28

Hi, I downloaded Ver 4.1, extracted the zip and ran the X32 Edit. Wonder why it hangs Channel 23 out at the end of Bank 17 after the DCAs? Is it just my PC (MS Surface Pr0, Win 10, 1909)?

I initialized, Mixer, Show Data, & Libraries under Setup>Mixer>Initialize. Still shows the same arrangement.

I loaded up scenes from Posts on this forum, and from our setup and still leaves Channel 23 out after DCA8.

Is this Channel in time-out??

Al

Screenshot (5).png
    read more...
    0 261
    • FBCS
      Paul_Vannatto

Hi Al @FBCS ,

In all likelyhood you have a bank arrangement assigned. On the far left column is an Edit button. Click that and drag ch 23 over to where it is suppose to be. 

• May 28, 2020
    • FBCS
      FBCS

Hi Paul, I clicked on Edit and it shows all in order. See attached

Screenshot (6).png
      • May 28, 2020
    • FBCS
      FBCS

I could not drag any channels in "Edit". They just turn on and off. But I hit "Clear All" and "Init" and all Channels lined up correctly. Thanks!

• May 28, 2020
    • FBCS
      Paul_Vannatto

@FBCS wrote:

I could not drag any channels in "Edit". They just turn on and off. But I hit "Clear All" and "Init" and all Channels lined up correctly. Thanks!

Great to hear that you got it fixed. You are correct that when in the channel config screen, you can't drag them. Click on the Mixer tab (at the top). Then on the left side is a Move button. That is what you use to drag them in different order.

• May 28, 2020
    • FBCS
      FBCS

Thanks Paul. Will arranging them on X32 Edit then syncing with the board change the arrangement there as well? And maintain the routing?

• May 29, 2020
  • FBCS
    Contributor - Level 2
    2020-05-28

First off, thanks Paul for helping us route 2-channels out from X32-Compact USB out, to PC for streaming. Since then I managed to get 2 channels back from the PC to the X32 - can't really say how I did that, but it worked.

We would like the ability to record our channels (plus our streaming outputs) via the X32 USB on to the PC, so we can do virtual sound checks and/or mix a prelude for example so we can play it back during livestreaming. We don't have a DAW yet but was thinking of starting with the Logic Pro freebie for now.

Also, is there a way to arrange the channels so we don't have to keep flipping through the fader banks?

Attached scene file of what we have routed now.

Thanks, Al

5-26-20.scn
    read more...
    0 175
    • FBCS
      FBCS

Ok let me reword this:

How do I route all the channels out the USB card to the PC for multitrack recording? And keep the two live stream outputs unchanged.

• May 29, 2020
    • FBCS
      Paul_Vannatto

Hi Al @FBCS ,

You forgot to attach your current scene file, and I honestly don't remember how it was previously setup. Attach the scene file and I'll have a look and better advise.

• May 29, 2020
    • FBCS
      FBCS

Paul, the scene file is attached in the original post above. 

• May 29, 2020
    • FBCS
      FBCS

I'm trying to attach it again via "smart" phone

5-26-20.scn
      • May 29, 2020
    • FBCS
      Paul_Vannatto

Hi Al @FBCS ,

First I fixed the spread out channels using Scene Parser's channel arranger tool, which generated a snippet that I imported into X32-Edit and applied it to your existing scene. That brought all of the channel strips to the first 14 channel strips (keeping the channel sources intact). 

Since you are already using USB 1/2 for your streaming needs, you will need to start your DAW inputs at USB 9 and go to USB 22 in order to properly map the channels back when you want to do a soundcheck (since input and card assignments are in banks of 8). I used the Routing, Ultranet to individually assign the channel strips (pre-EQ), then assign those to the Routing, card 2nd and 3rd bank of 8 (USB 9-24). 

Not sure why you want to record the streaming output. But it can be recorded in your DAW using USB 1/2. 

Attached is the fixed scene file and the snippet that I used to rearrange the channels.

5-26-20-fixed.zip
      • May 29, 2020
  • RaymondCronin
    Contributor - Level 1
    2020-05-28

Hey guys,

We bought an audio interface so our church could have quality livestreams and whenever I used the UMC202HD with my Mac in conjunction with Ecamm Live it makes both audio and video skip and cut out. This doesn't only happen on livestream but it happens on the recording files as well. I tested Ecamm with only the camera and my internal mic and the issue is gone when I stop using the interface. I'm thinking there's a miscommunication between the Mac and the interface. In addition I wanted to check to see if it was a soundboard issue, so instead of running the main out into the interface I used one of the microphones to see if the issue would persist and it did. So I've narrowed it down to my audio interface and my Mac having problems. Anything would be helpful. We've triple checked the audio interface and it is not clipping. Phantom power is on and I've yet to test if that's the issue, but I'm not near the audio interface at this time. Some help would be greatly appreciated. The interface is halting our ability to livestream at the moment.

read more...
    0 52
  • roxy
    Contributor - Level 1
    2020-05-27

Hello:

I would like to know if this UMC204 hd is compatible with mac? 

0 82
  • JKPCAHSC
    Contributor - Level 1
    2020-05-26

Our sound board stopped working can someone from tech support call me 

0 82
    • JKPCAHSC
      RexBeckett

@JKPCAHSC 

Hello John, welcome to the community.

You are more likely to get help from Technical Support if you raise a Care ticket. This is done by clicking on Support at the top of the page and then clicking the Create a Care Ticket button. This is only possible if you have completed all the required fields in your profile. Make sure that you fill-in every required field on the Care form.

• May 26, 2020
  • AlexLane
    Community Manager
    2020-05-26

Midas What goes on tour... Part 1 - with Chris Braun

read more...
    0 87
  • dan_eli7
    Contributor - Level 1
    2020-05-25

Hi there,

My church has a X32 Rack mixer for our broadcast mixer. We currently have an X32 as a FOH mixer with two SD16s connected to the X32, daisy chained to one another, on port A of the X32.

Now, we are sending the signals from the X32 to the X32 rack from Port B of the X32 to port A of the X32 Rack. Is this the right way to do it?
    Right now, I'm getting a "digital trim" as my gain instead the regular gain on the X32 RACK. Is that normal? Or should I send a CAT 5 Cable from Port B of the SD16s To Port A of the X32 RACK?

Thank you for your time.

read more...
    0 118
    • dan_eli7
      DaveMorrison

@dan_eli7 wrote:

Now, we are sending the signals from the X32 to the X32 rack from Port B of the X32 to port A of the X32 Rack. Is this the right way to do it?

Yes. That is one of the correct ways.

Right now, I'm getting a "digital trim" as my gain instead the regular gain on the X32 RACK. Is that normal? Or should I send a CAT 5 Cable from Port B of the SD16s To Port A of the X32 RACK?

Yes. Only one console can control the preamp gain. The other(s) will have digital trim. 

The S16 can not be connected to a console through it's AES50-B port. That's only for other stage boxes.

If you need help with routing, give us a shout.

• May 25, 2020
    • dan_eli7
      ScottyFPOB

I am about to set up the same. My question; what is digital trim and how does that work?

• May 25, 2020
    • dan_eli7
      CraigFowler

It gives you -+18 dB of attenuation/boost at the top of the channel.  It’s a digital trim, so it doesn’t affect the preamp behind the channel.

• May 25, 2020
    • dan_eli7
      ScottyFPOB

Is that controlled with the gain know or is it at the top of the fader slide?

• May 25, 2020
  • wsbcav
    Contributor - Level 2
    2020-05-25

Good Day Everyone!

In my research, I have found tutorials on using 2 32 channel or 2 16 channel stage boxes. I was wondering if the following configuration will be a problem:

Midas DL32 Channel stage box AES-50 A-to FOH mixer A input, AES-50 B to stream/recording mixer A input

Midas DL16 Channel Stage box AES-50 A Ato FOH mixer B input, AES-50 B to stream/recoring mixer B input. 

The 32 channel stage box will recieve all of the physcal inputs on stage. 

Ther 16 Channel stage box located in the sound both will recieve all of the wireless inputs as well as all multimedia. 

All of the tutorials I have seen use either/or but not both together. 

Hope you have a Happy Memorial day and thank you for your time reading my question.

Mike

read more...
    0 83
    • wsbcav
      CraigFowler

No.

The DL32A>FOHA is fine.

The DL32B>StreamA is fine.

The DL16A>FOHB is fine.

The DL16B>StreamB is not fine.  This is because the DL16's B socket is only meant to be used for cascading stageboxes, not connecting to a console (unlike the DL\S32's B socket, which can be connected to another console.)

There might be a workaround it if we knew more about your intended setup.  What console are you using for FOH?  How many inputs (and outputs) on the DL32 and DL16 do you actually need?

Also, although a single AES50 cable can carry 48 signals to a console (assuming X\M32, not a Wing,) only 38 of those signals can actually make it onto channels for processing (32 with full process, 6 with limited processing.)

• May 25, 2020
  • wsbcav
    Contributor - Level 2
    2020-05-25

Good Day!

Looking for some advice. As like many churches have done recently, we have stuck our foot in the 'live stream' door. I set up our M32 Mix Bus (XLR) to go to the ATEM Mini live stream mixer (1/8" TRS).  I supposedly have all the correct cables (Hosa XLRF-3.5mm TRS Rt Ang Cable, 5' ) but I get a hum. I can filter it out using a DI box, but obviously that attenuates the signal way too much. I can use a Zoom recorder as a go between to get rid of it, but that is not ideal as it influnces the quality of the signal. 

The hum is not present on any other perifial that utilizes any of my mix bus outs (XLR). Also, when a mic is connected directly to the ATEM Mini, the hum is not there. My sales rep is baffled by this as so am I. Everything is powered from a power conditioner. Any thoughts?

Thank you for your time and Happy Memorial Day!

Mke

read more...
    0 287
    • wsbcav
      RexBeckett

@wsbcav 

Hello Mike, welcome to the community.

I believe that the 3.5mm audio inputs on the ATEM Mini are stereo so that cable may be part of the problem. I think you would need a cable like this to connect the stereo mixbus through two XLR outputs to the ATEM Mini. 

Edit: Even though the specifications call the audio inputs stereo, I think they are really for mono mics.

I prefer to separate the grounds of audio and video systems. If a DI box reduces the signal too much, you could use a pair of 1:1 line isolating transformers like this. 

• May 25, 2020
    • wsbcav
      wsbcav

Thank you for the suggestion. What is it that I am not understanding about my current setup that is causing the hum? Is it the stereo vs TRS? In this configuration, I would need to designate another mix bus out for live stream. Is that common? 

Mike

• May 25, 2020
    • wsbcav
      RexBeckett

@wsbcav wrote:

Thank you for the suggestion. What is it that I am not understanding about my current setup that is causing the hum? Is it the stereo vs TRS? In this configuration, I would need to designate another mix bus out for live stream. Is that common? 

Mike

@wsbcav 

I questioned the cable because it is described as intended for a microphone. It doesn't specify how it is wired and that can be important when trying to connect between balanced and unbalanced equipment.

Hum is a common problem when connecting audio and video gear together through unbalanced cables. It can be accentuated when connecting a professional line-level output to an input intended for consumer sources. In some cases it may be necessary to include attenuators to match the signal level. Line isolating transformers (linked in previous post) would help by breaking the ground connection.

Looking deeper at the ATEM Mini, I think the audio inputs are for mono mics but use a stereo TRS 3.5mm connector. So there could be a huge difference in signal level (depending on the ATEM setting for Mic/Line input). I would reach for a DI box. If this reduces the level too much it suggests a problem with the cables.

• May 25, 2020
  • jwsandersjr
    Contributor - Level 2
    2020-05-25

Hi All:

I've recently volunteered to work into the role of becoming a sound tech / FOH person for my church, Cornerstone United Methodist in Jonesboro, AR. We use an X32 there. I've always been interested in mixing - I started off back in the 70s with a little TEAC Model 2 (6 in 2 out analog) mixer and did some FOH for a contemporary Christian group that my friends started. That was a much bigger board, but still analog. I never really learned about things like sends/returns, busses, etc., pretty much just straight mixing. I am fairly tech savvy and one of my strenghts is "learner" so here I am.

I want to learn more about the X32 and how to use it and want to become good enough that the current folks can go back to their regular "jobs" (like playing lead guitar rather than mixing). I've printed the X32 manual and I'm studying that, however, I feel that sometimes the manual assumes that you have a better than basic knowledge of some of the concepts, so I'm looking for resources to help me. I've already started watching some of the YouTube videos that Drew Brashler has done from NRCC and enjoy those.

One "problem" that I see with trying to learn this is that it seems that "hands on" is almost a requirement so you can see what you do and what happens when you do it. (I could probably book some time on the board outside of a service, but even then, it would appear that you would need a "source" so you can get that sense of cause and effect.)

I feel pretty good with the channel-strip (although I'm sure that there is more to learn there as well). What I'm looking for is more information on mix busses, mute groups, routing, etc. The last thing I want to do is to mess something up during a live service (which right now are all live stream - maybe a little more forgiving - then again, maybe not).

I've already seen one thing that we are doing that probably needs to change sooner rather than later - we are taking the audio for the live stream off the headphone/monitor jack from the side of the board into the live-stream box. My guess is that I should learn to put the LR main into a mix bus and route that to the AUX out 5-6. Right now, I'm sure if we soloed a channel during a service, the live stream would get only that.

So the TLDR version of this is: can someone point me to some basics, either written or video, that would explain most of the concepts that will help me jump start this learning process?

Thanks in advance. I'm looking forward to this.

Jim

read more...
    0 105
    • jwsandersjr
      FBCS

Hello Jim,

I'm going to jump in and answer this based on my similar level of experience and what I have learned so far in searching for what are requesting.

The short answer is there is not one place to find what you are looking for. The board has so many features and capabilities that one written article or video would not do it justice. But you have come to the right place for answers ... after doing a bit of homework.

Search for video tutorials on the basics, watch many different folks showing the same "basics" and you will soon settle onto a few preferred channels. When you are comfortable with the basics of the board, spend time learning how to save a Scene. Very important.

Then carve out time to spend on the board. First SAVE the scene that is on the board so that you can put it back the way you found it. Very important when learning, failing this you will find yourself in an accelerated course to put the board back as it was before next Sunday (unless you have folks that know the board at your Church), I didn't.

Then play with the board. Its going to take methodical practice, take notes or watch videos while at the board. Focus on getting the basics down first, then move on to the next level. It's like any musical instrument, you can watch or read as much as you like but until you play with the instrument and then practice it will not stick as well.

From your message, my guess is that someone at your location already knows how to setup and mix your service. If so ask them for tips or a hands-on training session when they are working the board. Doesn't mean that's the only way or the correct way to do it but it is one way that already works for your setup. Your learning will help you add to the knowledge base.

Have fun, its a digital board so save the scene and play around listening to what changed and what works. Use your phone as a music source if you have to.  Stay away from routing for now.

• May 31, 2020
    • jwsandersjr
      jpearce

@jwsandersjr wrote:

Hi All:

I've recently volunteered to work into the role of becoming a sound tech / FOH person for my church, Cornerstone United Methodist in Jonesboro, AR. We use an X32 there. I've always been interested in mixing - I started off back in the 70s with a little TEAC Model 2 (6 in 2 out analog) mixer and did some FOH for a contemporary Christian group that my friends started. That was a much bigger board, but still analog. I never really learned about things like sends/returns, busses, etc., pretty much just straight mixing. I am fairly tech savvy and one of my strenghts is "learner" so here I am.

I want to learn more about the X32 and how to use it and want to become good enough that the current folks can go back to their regular "jobs" (like playing lead guitar rather than mixing). I've printed the X32 manual and I'm studying that, however, I feel that sometimes the manual assumes that you have a better than basic knowledge of some of the concepts, so I'm looking for resources to help me. I've already started watching some of the YouTube videos that Drew Brashler has done from NRCC and enjoy those.

One "problem" that I see with trying to learn this is that it seems that "hands on" is almost a requirement so you can see what you do and what happens when you do it. (I could probably book some time on the board outside of a service, but even then, it would appear that you would need a "source" so you can get that sense of cause and effect.)

I feel pretty good with the channel-strip (although I'm sure that there is more to learn there as well). What I'm looking for is more information on mix busses, mute groups, routing, etc. The last thing I want to do is to mess something up during a live service (which right now are all live stream - maybe a little more forgiving - then again, maybe not).

I've already seen one thing that we are doing that probably needs to change sooner rather than later - we are taking the audio for the live stream off the headphone/monitor jack from the side of the board into the live-stream box. My guess is that I should learn to put the LR main into a mix bus and route that to the AUX out 5-6. Right now, I'm sure if we soloed a channel during a service, the live stream would get only that.

So the TLDR version of this is: can someone point me to some basics, either written or video, that would explain most of the concepts that will help me jump start this learning process?

Thanks in advance. I'm looking forward to this.

Jim

I'd recommend Kade's collaborate worship X32 mastery course.  Our church purchased the one time unlimited users access course for few hundred bucks total teaches everything and all our team hit the ground running.  It has concise video tutorials in a very nice portal where it saves your progress.  It's a great way to keep track of people who want to join tech team to see if they've finished the course yet. We have been very happy with it and Kade responds to direct messages with any specific questions as well.

Here's the link:

https://academy.collaborateworship.com/courses/x32-course

• May 31, 2020
    • jwsandersjr
      ac6sx1

Just a comment about your live stream situation.

You're right, taking the phones jack out to the live stream box is not a good solution.

But using the main mix (FOH) for live stream is a bad idea too. What you hear FOH is a combination of what you hear from the stage along with what you add with the mixer. Since it's likely that you have live guitar amps and acoustic drums on the stage, you're probably going to get an extremely vocal heavy mix if you just bus the mains to your live stream box.

The best solution is to use a second mixer connected via AES50 running in another room that is acoustically isolated from the sanctuary. That second board would feed the live stream with a completely different mix tailored for on-line listening. Different effects, EQ, compression, panning, etc.

You're likely running FOH mono or very narrow stereo since you don't want people on one side of the room hearing a different mix than the other side. An on-line mix should be stereo. It sounds so much better. A good second engineer with a dedicated mixer will make your live stream sound great!

At my church, we don't have the budget for a second board. What we do is mix the live stream off a stereo linked pair of bus channels. We run audio cables from those bus channels into the live stream mixing room from a pair of aux outs, and another pair of aux outs with the same bus signal is routed to the live stream box. Our live stream engineer is connected via WiFi with a laptop running the X-32 Edit software, and he/she mixes the live steam using only that bus layer in the software. Our live stream engineer must be careful to never do anything that affects other layers. You don't want the live stream engineer changing the FOH mix!

The main drawback to this technique is the live stream is purely a volume balancing mix. The individual channels must use the same EQ, Gate, and Compression as the FOH mix. But you can pan the channels in the bus independent of the FOH panning, and the stereo field will give you a lot of room to do a decent mix. We're even running different vocal effects in the live stream bus signal since we don't have the acoustic sound of the sanctuary coming in to our live stream to color the sound.

I'm self trained, so I figured all this stuff out through trial and error. It's working pretty well though. Good luck with yours.

--Mike

• May 31, 2020
    • jwsandersjr
      jwsandersjr

I'm fairly new to this church, but I'm also fairly certain that we don't have the resources for a second mixer. I did think that creating a LR MixBus and then routing that Bus to the Aux out.

I don't think that the mix will be too heavy on vocals as our drum kit is electronic and the guitars (bass, acoustic, and electric) are all going through direct boxes - i.e., there is no amp that the guitars are using, so those instruments are already in the mix.

For me, the difficult part of this is not getting enough opportunity to "play" with the board in a real/live situation. Currently the praise band is only rehearsing the hour before the service time, so that's all the time I have to try and figure things out. I have downloaded the X32-edit app, which does allow me to see how the current board is configured, but it is hard to understand some of the things I need to learn without a source and real board in front of me. Still it is a fun challenge. I'm glad to have found this community as I can see it will be a great source of help and ideas.

• June 1, 2020
Go to page