Statistics

223,360 members
97,538 posts
  • wsbcav
    Contributor - Level 2
    2020-05-25

Good Day Everyone!

In my research, I have found tutorials on using 2 32 channel or 2 16 channel stage boxes. I was wondering if the following configuration will be a problem:

Midas DL32 Channel stage box AES-50 A-to FOH mixer A input, AES-50 B to stream/recording mixer A input

Midas DL16 Channel Stage box AES-50 A Ato FOH mixer B input, AES-50 B to stream/recoring mixer B input. 

The 32 channel stage box will recieve all of the physcal inputs on stage. 

Ther 16 Channel stage box located in the sound both will recieve all of the wireless inputs as well as all multimedia. 

All of the tutorials I have seen use either/or but not both together. 

Hope you have a Happy Memorial day and thank you for your time reading my question.

Mike

read more...
    0 56
    • wsbcav
      CraigFowler

No.

The DL32A>FOHA is fine.

The DL32B>StreamA is fine.

The DL16A>FOHB is fine.

The DL16B>StreamB is not fine.  This is because the DL16's B socket is only meant to be used for cascading stageboxes, not connecting to a console (unlike the DL\S32's B socket, which can be connected to another console.)

There might be a workaround it if we knew more about your intended setup.  What console are you using for FOH?  How many inputs (and outputs) on the DL32 and DL16 do you actually need?

Also, although a single AES50 cable can carry 48 signals to a console (assuming X\M32, not a Wing,) only 38 of those signals can actually make it onto channels for processing (32 with full process, 6 with limited processing.)

• May 25, 2020
  • wsbcav
    Contributor - Level 2
    2020-05-25

Good Day!

Looking for some advice. As like many churches have done recently, we have stuck our foot in the 'live stream' door. I set up our M32 Mix Bus (XLR) to go to the ATEM Mini live stream mixer (1/8" TRS).  I supposedly have all the correct cables (Hosa XLRF-3.5mm TRS Rt Ang Cable, 5' ) but I get a hum. I can filter it out using a DI box, but obviously that attenuates the signal way too much. I can use a Zoom recorder as a go between to get rid of it, but that is not ideal as it influnces the quality of the signal. 

The hum is not present on any other perifial that utilizes any of my mix bus outs (XLR). Also, when a mic is connected directly to the ATEM Mini, the hum is not there. My sales rep is baffled by this as so am I. Everything is powered from a power conditioner. Any thoughts?

Thank you for your time and Happy Memorial Day!

Mke

read more...
    0 118
    • wsbcav
      RexBeckett

@wsbcav 

Hello Mike, welcome to the community.

I believe that the 3.5mm audio inputs on the ATEM Mini are stereo so that cable may be part of the problem. I think you would need a cable like this to connect the stereo mixbus through two XLR outputs to the ATEM Mini. 

Edit: Even though the specifications call the audio inputs stereo, I think they are really for mono mics.

I prefer to separate the grounds of audio and video systems. If a DI box reduces the signal too much, you could use a pair of 1:1 line isolating transformers like this. 

• May 25, 2020
    • wsbcav
      wsbcav

Thank you for the suggestion. What is it that I am not understanding about my current setup that is causing the hum? Is it the stereo vs TRS? In this configuration, I would need to designate another mix bus out for live stream. Is that common? 

Mike

• May 25, 2020
    • wsbcav
      RexBeckett

@wsbcav wrote:

Thank you for the suggestion. What is it that I am not understanding about my current setup that is causing the hum? Is it the stereo vs TRS? In this configuration, I would need to designate another mix bus out for live stream. Is that common? 

Mike

@wsbcav 

I questioned the cable because it is described as intended for a microphone. It doesn't specify how it is wired and that can be important when trying to connect between balanced and unbalanced equipment.

Hum is a common problem when connecting audio and video gear together through unbalanced cables. It can be accentuated when connecting a professional line-level output to an input intended for consumer sources. In some cases it may be necessary to include attenuators to match the signal level. Line isolating transformers (linked in previous post) would help by breaking the ground connection.

Looking deeper at the ATEM Mini, I think the audio inputs are for mono mics but use a stereo TRS 3.5mm connector. So there could be a huge difference in signal level (depending on the ATEM setting for Mic/Line input). I would reach for a DI box. If this reduces the level too much it suggests a problem with the cables.

• May 25, 2020
  • jwsandersjr
    Contributor - Level 2
    2020-05-25

Hi All:

I've recently volunteered to work into the role of becoming a sound tech / FOH person for my church, Cornerstone United Methodist in Jonesboro, AR. We use an X32 there. I've always been interested in mixing - I started off back in the 70s with a little TEAC Model 2 (6 in 2 out analog) mixer and did some FOH for a contemporary Christian group that my friends started. That was a much bigger board, but still analog. I never really learned about things like sends/returns, busses, etc., pretty much just straight mixing. I am fairly tech savvy and one of my strenghts is "learner" so here I am.

I want to learn more about the X32 and how to use it and want to become good enough that the current folks can go back to their regular "jobs" (like playing lead guitar rather than mixing). I've printed the X32 manual and I'm studying that, however, I feel that sometimes the manual assumes that you have a better than basic knowledge of some of the concepts, so I'm looking for resources to help me. I've already started watching some of the YouTube videos that Drew Brashler has done from NRCC and enjoy those.

One "problem" that I see with trying to learn this is that it seems that "hands on" is almost a requirement so you can see what you do and what happens when you do it. (I could probably book some time on the board outside of a service, but even then, it would appear that you would need a "source" so you can get that sense of cause and effect.)

I feel pretty good with the channel-strip (although I'm sure that there is more to learn there as well). What I'm looking for is more information on mix busses, mute groups, routing, etc. The last thing I want to do is to mess something up during a live service (which right now are all live stream - maybe a little more forgiving - then again, maybe not).

I've already seen one thing that we are doing that probably needs to change sooner rather than later - we are taking the audio for the live stream off the headphone/monitor jack from the side of the board into the live-stream box. My guess is that I should learn to put the LR main into a mix bus and route that to the AUX out 5-6. Right now, I'm sure if we soloed a channel during a service, the live stream would get only that.

So the TLDR version of this is: can someone point me to some basics, either written or video, that would explain most of the concepts that will help me jump start this learning process?

Thanks in advance. I'm looking forward to this.

Jim

read more...
    0 75
    • jwsandersjr
      FBCS

Hello Jim,

I'm going to jump in and answer this based on my similar level of experience and what I have learned so far in searching for what are requesting.

The short answer is there is not one place to find what you are looking for. The board has so many features and capabilities that one written article or video would not do it justice. But you have come to the right place for answers ... after doing a bit of homework.

Search for video tutorials on the basics, watch many different folks showing the same "basics" and you will soon settle onto a few preferred channels. When you are comfortable with the basics of the board, spend time learning how to save a Scene. Very important.

Then carve out time to spend on the board. First SAVE the scene that is on the board so that you can put it back the way you found it. Very important when learning, failing this you will find yourself in an accelerated course to put the board back as it was before next Sunday (unless you have folks that know the board at your Church), I didn't.

Then play with the board. Its going to take methodical practice, take notes or watch videos while at the board. Focus on getting the basics down first, then move on to the next level. It's like any musical instrument, you can watch or read as much as you like but until you play with the instrument and then practice it will not stick as well.

From your message, my guess is that someone at your location already knows how to setup and mix your service. If so ask them for tips or a hands-on training session when they are working the board. Doesn't mean that's the only way or the correct way to do it but it is one way that already works for your setup. Your learning will help you add to the knowledge base.

Have fun, its a digital board so save the scene and play around listening to what changed and what works. Use your phone as a music source if you have to.  Stay away from routing for now.

• May 31, 2020
    • jwsandersjr
      jpearce

@jwsandersjr wrote:

Hi All:

I've recently volunteered to work into the role of becoming a sound tech / FOH person for my church, Cornerstone United Methodist in Jonesboro, AR. We use an X32 there. I've always been interested in mixing - I started off back in the 70s with a little TEAC Model 2 (6 in 2 out analog) mixer and did some FOH for a contemporary Christian group that my friends started. That was a much bigger board, but still analog. I never really learned about things like sends/returns, busses, etc., pretty much just straight mixing. I am fairly tech savvy and one of my strenghts is "learner" so here I am.

I want to learn more about the X32 and how to use it and want to become good enough that the current folks can go back to their regular "jobs" (like playing lead guitar rather than mixing). I've printed the X32 manual and I'm studying that, however, I feel that sometimes the manual assumes that you have a better than basic knowledge of some of the concepts, so I'm looking for resources to help me. I've already started watching some of the YouTube videos that Drew Brashler has done from NRCC and enjoy those.

One "problem" that I see with trying to learn this is that it seems that "hands on" is almost a requirement so you can see what you do and what happens when you do it. (I could probably book some time on the board outside of a service, but even then, it would appear that you would need a "source" so you can get that sense of cause and effect.)

I feel pretty good with the channel-strip (although I'm sure that there is more to learn there as well). What I'm looking for is more information on mix busses, mute groups, routing, etc. The last thing I want to do is to mess something up during a live service (which right now are all live stream - maybe a little more forgiving - then again, maybe not).

I've already seen one thing that we are doing that probably needs to change sooner rather than later - we are taking the audio for the live stream off the headphone/monitor jack from the side of the board into the live-stream box. My guess is that I should learn to put the LR main into a mix bus and route that to the AUX out 5-6. Right now, I'm sure if we soloed a channel during a service, the live stream would get only that.

So the TLDR version of this is: can someone point me to some basics, either written or video, that would explain most of the concepts that will help me jump start this learning process?

Thanks in advance. I'm looking forward to this.

Jim

I'd recommend Kade's collaborate worship X32 mastery course.  Our church purchased the one time unlimited users access course for few hundred bucks total teaches everything and all our team hit the ground running.  It has concise video tutorials in a very nice portal where it saves your progress.  It's a great way to keep track of people who want to join tech team to see if they've finished the course yet. We have been very happy with it and Kade responds to direct messages with any specific questions as well.

Here's the link:

https://academy.collaborateworship.com/courses/x32-course

• May 31, 2020
    • jwsandersjr
      ac6sx1

Just a comment about your live stream situation.

You're right, taking the phones jack out to the live stream box is not a good solution.

But using the main mix (FOH) for live stream is a bad idea too. What you hear FOH is a combination of what you hear from the stage along with what you add with the mixer. Since it's likely that you have live guitar amps and acoustic drums on the stage, you're probably going to get an extremely vocal heavy mix if you just bus the mains to your live stream box.

The best solution is to use a second mixer connected via AES50 running in another room that is acoustically isolated from the sanctuary. That second board would feed the live stream with a completely different mix tailored for on-line listening. Different effects, EQ, compression, panning, etc.

You're likely running FOH mono or very narrow stereo since you don't want people on one side of the room hearing a different mix than the other side. An on-line mix should be stereo. It sounds so much better. A good second engineer with a dedicated mixer will make your live stream sound great!

At my church, we don't have the budget for a second board. What we do is mix the live stream off a stereo linked pair of bus channels. We run audio cables from those bus channels into the live stream mixing room from a pair of aux outs, and another pair of aux outs with the same bus signal is routed to the live stream box. Our live stream engineer is connected via WiFi with a laptop running the X-32 Edit software, and he/she mixes the live steam using only that bus layer in the software. Our live stream engineer must be careful to never do anything that affects other layers. You don't want the live stream engineer changing the FOH mix!

The main drawback to this technique is the live stream is purely a volume balancing mix. The individual channels must use the same EQ, Gate, and Compression as the FOH mix. But you can pan the channels in the bus independent of the FOH panning, and the stereo field will give you a lot of room to do a decent mix. We're even running different vocal effects in the live stream bus signal since we don't have the acoustic sound of the sanctuary coming in to our live stream to color the sound.

I'm self trained, so I figured all this stuff out through trial and error. It's working pretty well though. Good luck with yours.

--Mike

• May 31, 2020
    • jwsandersjr
      jwsandersjr

I'm fairly new to this church, but I'm also fairly certain that we don't have the resources for a second mixer. I did think that creating a LR MixBus and then routing that Bus to the Aux out.

I don't think that the mix will be too heavy on vocals as our drum kit is electronic and the guitars (bass, acoustic, and electric) are all going through direct boxes - i.e., there is no amp that the guitars are using, so those instruments are already in the mix.

For me, the difficult part of this is not getting enough opportunity to "play" with the board in a real/live situation. Currently the praise band is only rehearsing the hour before the service time, so that's all the time I have to try and figure things out. I have downloaded the X32-edit app, which does allow me to see how the current board is configured, but it is hard to understand some of the things I need to learn without a source and real board in front of me. Still it is a fun challenge. I'm glad to have found this community as I can see it will be a great source of help and ideas.

• June 1, 2020
  • dlefever
    Contributor - Level 2
    2020-05-25

We have two issues with the main LR outputs:

1) soloing a channel is routed thru the mains

2) the monitor level knob now controls the main lr output

I cannot find the configuration to resolve these issues.  Another congregation rents our sanctuary and this past weekend made *many* changes that were an unpleasant surprise early Sunday morning.  

read more...
    0 67
    • dlefever
      GaryHiggins

@dlefever 

Hello, do you have a copy of your old scene(s) Try reloading them. The correct routing should re load. Sounds like someone changed your output routing for you main L/R to Monitor L/R. If you look in routing/out 1-16...look for where it MIGHT now say Monitor L and Monitor R and change them back to Main L and Main R. Still if you have your saved scene, that would be best.

• May 24, 2020
    • dlefever
      dlefever

Thanks.  I always reload our scene on Sunday morning, but that did not help here.  I'll check out the routing settings.

• May 24, 2020
    • dlefever
      GaryHiggins

@dlefever 

Also possible someone physically moved your XLR cables that output from the Mixer or stagebox. That would be rude and very forward to say the least. Hope it just a scene thing. Make sure no scene safes have been engaged, that would prevent some things from being loaded. Also very rude...if set and it wasn't you.

• May 25, 2020
  • ajhill2
    Contributor - Level 1
    2020-05-22

Hello,

If the are using the AES50 A buss with a P16 plugged into a stage box on that A buss, is there any way to add a second P16 back at the console to have a place to mix the broadcast audio from.  I.E. can I plug into the Ultranet port in the back of the x32, if I do will the 16 channels be the same as the other P16 on the AES50-A buss?  Can the second P16 be used somehow with the AES50-B buss without additional hardware?

Thanks for any help.

Alan

read more...
    0 77
    • ajhill2
      Paul_Vannatto

Hi Al @ajhill2 ,

Welcome to the forum. Yes you can plug a P16 into the Ultranet on the back of the X32 console. What is assigned on the Routing, Ultranet screen will go to the P16 connected to that port. What is assigned to the Routing, AES50 A33-40 and A41-48 will go to the P16 connected to the Ultranet on the back of the stagebox. The same with the AES50 B port. So in essence, you can have up to 3 Ultranet zones in an X32 eco-system.

• May 22, 2020
    • ajhill2
      GaryHiggins

@ajhill2 

Paul's info is !00% correct, 1 additional point. By default all 3 zones will have the SAME assignments because both aes50a and aes50b 33-48 are set to "p16 1-8" and "p16 9-16" The 'hidden' power in this arrangement is that for a stagebox, aes50a and b 33-48 can be changed to a whole host of other assignments making it possible to have each zone send something different to a connected p16m (or IQ type speaker systems). However you can't utilize the aes50b port assignments without a stagebox actually being plugged in there. To get 3 full zones you need 2 stageboxes (1 in port A and 1 in port B) and the mixer itself. It wasn't exactly clear in your post if you wanted the sources to be the same or to be different but either way you can be happy. By default, they will be the same.

• May 22, 2020
  • MALLYHODSON1
    Contributor - Level 2
    2020-05-22

Hi where can I get a fues for the back of my VMX1000USB mixer

0 60
    • MALLYHODSON1
      RexBeckett

@MALLYHODSON1 

That depends where, in the world, you are. Amazon and Ebay are good sources. Make sure you use the right fuse for your mains voltage:

Fuses.PNG

For 200-240V supply voltage, the correct fuse would be this one. 

For 100-120V supply voltage, the correct fuse would be this one. 

• May 21, 2020
  • jx10
    Contributor - Level 1
    2020-05-21

Hello, my church is about to clean and sanitize our sactuarary and we have a x32 producer board which is used by several volunteers at our church.  And I'm wondering what's the best way to clean and sanitize our board.

0 87
    • jx10
      GaryHiggins

@jx10 

Mild soap and water to a dampened cloth for surface area, soap and water is known to be effective for Covid19. Dry cloth lightly over the surface after. You can also use 70% isopropyl alcohol to dampen a clean cloth for wiping down the knobs and fader caps etc if you wanted to get crazy. It probably wont hurt the surface either but I am not 100% sure there. my 2 cents! 

• May 22, 2020
  • jhonoso10
    Contributor - Level 1
    2020-05-21

Hola.

Necesito configurar mi x32 de tal manera q mi mezcla LR sea enviada via USB a uno de estos programas. OBS- Facebook-YouTube-Zoom, ETC.

La idea es usar los 32 canales de la consola y tambien hacer mezcla de monitor In ears a los musicos. ta,bien usar los FX de la consola y poder darle un toque de masterizacion  en el LR.

Como puedo hacer todo esto.
    Muchas gracias.

read more...
    0 91
    • jhonoso10
      RexBeckett

@jhonoso10 

Hello John, welcome to the community.

We can advise you better if we can see your current configuration. Export your current scene (Scenes -> Utility on the console or by using X32 Edit) and attach the .scn file to your post (see Choose File button below).

• May 21, 2020
    • jhonoso10
      jhonoso10

Hola, Gracias x la respuesta, 

te adjunto la scena con la cual trabajo, alli se puede evicendiar que estoy utilizando casi todos los recursos de la consola.

Gracias x la ayuda

STREAMING X32.scn
      • May 24, 2020
    • jhonoso10
      RexBeckett

@jhonoso10 wrote:

Hola, Gracias x la respuesta, 

te adjunto la scena con la cual trabajo, alli se puede evicendiar que estoy utilizando casi todos los recursos de la consola.

Gracias x la ayuda

@jhonoso10 

What version of firmware are you running on the X32? It looks quite old. I don't know if you would be able to load a scene if I modify it using X32 Edit V3.2. Do you use X32 Edit? If so I could show you the settings instead of modifying your scene.

I see you have already set Matrix buses 5/6 for the streaming output. These can be routed to USB Sends 1/2 after being assembled into a block. Are you using Ultranet for monitoring?

• May 24, 2020
    • jhonoso10
      jhonoso10

Hola, Muchas gracias.

Te adjunto una nueva scena con la version actual del X32 Edit. 

Con respecto a ¿Estás utilizando Ultranet para monitorizar?  la respuesta es no, solo los mix bus fisicos que son  in ears.

y con respecto  a esto // --  Si es así, podría mostrarle la configuración en lugar de modificar su escena. Seria estupendo, y asi poder aprender mucho mas.

De ante mano muchas gracias

STREAMING X32 V2.scn
      • May 25, 2020
    • jhonoso10
      RexBeckett

@jhonoso10 wrote:

Hola, Muchas gracias.

Te adjunto una nueva scena con la version actual del X32 Edit. 

Con respecto a ¿Estás utilizando Ultranet para monitorizar?  la respuesta es no, solo los mix bus fisicos que son  in ears.

y con respecto  a esto // --  Si es así, podría mostrarle la configuración en lugar de modificar su escena. Seria estupendo, y asi poder aprender mucho mas.

De ante mano muchas gracias

@jhonoso10 

First we stage the Matrix 5/6 outputs on the Routing -> Ultranet tab using post-fader signal taps:

Routing, UltranetRouting, Ultranet

Then we can route the first Ultranet block to the USB output on Routing -> Card:

Routing, CardRouting, Card

This will result in Matrix 5/6 outputs being routed to USB Sends 1/2. 

• May 25, 2020
  • lifemission
    Contributor - Level 1
    2020-05-21

Hello, 

I'm with LifeMission church in Olathe, Kansas and we're considering a new Wing console for one of our venues. It seems to say on the Wing product page that it has capability for a Soundgrid card to be put in it, but there isn't a specific card that is made for the Wing console, yet. Would the X32 Soundgrid card work in the Wing console?

Appreciate the help!

-Gabe 

read more...
    0 87
    • lifemission
      Paul_Vannatto

Hi Gabe @lifemission ,

Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately the Wing cards are narrower than the X32 cards. So they will not fit. There is a Wing version planned, but no ETA at this point.

• May 21, 2020
  • AlexLane
    Community Manager
    2020-05-21

Midas Pro Series Part 1 - Managing show files for Festivals & Tours Webinar

read more...
    0 70
Go to page