Statistics

305,628 members
189,948 posts
  • New
    Swansound
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2022-09-30

I've got Mida Pro 1 , Pro2, M32, and now M32R, I , made all my cat cable following the Midas specification with Belden cavle UTP, but now I see on the back of my new M32R that I MUST ise STP...

Why?

Can I use my Belden Cat5E UTP?

Thanks

Enzo

read more...
    0 10
    • Swansound
      Paul_Vannatto The answer to your second question is no. The answer to your first question (why?) is that Brian Wynn proved to us (back in 2013) that ESD (electrostatic discharge) will cause dropouts to the AES50 digital signals. It is imperitive to use STP (cat5e, cat6, cat7) with ethercons on each ends and that there is continuity between the ethercon shells.

Here is the link to his various videos
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1TL5FTs8ZD-gTOYtJdKytA
      • Sep 30
      • Cable Cat for Midas M32R
        soundman222222222 Hi Paul ! Do you know how to reach Esteban Meyer ?
        • Sep 30
        Paul_Vannatto No I don't, sorry
        • Sep 30
    • Swansound
      GaryHiggins I will add that Cat8 works fine as well. I have been using it for well over a year (closer to 2 years) with zero issues. I have personally tested over 300 feet (3 100+ foot rolls interconnected) which worked perfectly as well. All Cat7/8 is shielded btw, doesn't come any other way. Of note the new warning stickers that come on the backs of newer Music Tribe devices now all say 'use STP only' but conspicuously omit the Cat version number-finally, small victories imo. That said the Cat5e wars continue to rage on. II should add that the standard Cat8 rj45's will not fit in an Ethercon without trimming. I usually replace them.
      • Oct 1
    • Swansound
      Swansound I'd tried with Adam hall: K3NCAT5 200
      Adam Hall Cables 3 STAR N CAT 5 - Cavo di rete Cat.5e S/UTP cavo LAN flessibile, BUT DON'T WORKS... Can someone in Midas Help me?
      • Oct 27
        KevinMaxwell Can you provide a link to the exact cable that you tried? I don't see a cable that matches the number that you wrote on Adam Halls Website.

Is this a pre-made cable assembly or is it raw cable that you put connectors on? When you say it didn't work do you mean that you didn't get connection between the mixer and the stage box. If that is the case then something it not connected or configured wrong or you got a bad cable. If you hook it up with the other UN-shielded cable and it works and then you just swap to the new cable and it doesn't work then you have a bad cable or a cable that was not wired correctly .

The UN-shielded cable will work until you have a really bad problem usually due to static and then it will put a VERY LOUD pop thru the system that may damage your speakers. And it you have someone on IEMs they will be VERY mad when you potentially damage their hearing.
        • Oct 27
  • New
    Dukegwary1284
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2022-07-31

problem with Midas stage box. the mute all automatically goes off and on my DL32. Please how do I fix this

0 19
  • New
    Cabral13
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2022-05-02

Hi I am new on Musictribe, can you help me? I need work with stage box of Midas M32 more than 100 meters apart how can I do it? 

0 13
    • Cabral13
      Paul_Vannatto You have a choice of either using a device (eg. Klark Teknick DN9610, any stagebox such as a SD8, any console such as an M32C) as a repeater, or convert AES50 to fibre using a couple of Klark Teknik DN9620 or DN9680 (not cheap).

Before the pandemic hit, one of my yearly events that I provided sound for was the finish line of a runathon (5K and 10K) where they needed 750 feet of speakers (from entrance to parking lot). I used a combination of 2 X32 Racks and stageboxes to cover this distance without any issues.
      • May 2
    • Cabral13
      Cabral13

Thank you, my service bought a klark teknick, I don't know exactly what model, but the Klark Teknick only work at 96 kHz and Midas work at 48 khz

• May 2
    • Cabral13
      GaryHiggins As Paul said, use another stagebox (S/DL16, SD8/SD16) or an X32Rack/Core/M32C in between to break up the 100M into a smaller workable distance. An SD8 is not that expensive and is also extremely useful for other duties after this work problem is over.
      • May 2
    • Cabral13
      Paul_Vannatto I just checked the DN9610 and it does indeed work at either 96 kHz or 48 kHz. I almost bought one a few years ago. Instead I bought an SD8 since it was more versatile.
      • May 2