Statistics

187,696 members
57,642 posts
  • 2020-10-21

Hi There

I am fairly new to the entire topic. I bought two Behringer A800 Amplifier with the idea in mind to power my two passive speakers. One I thought to use for the left and another one for the right speaker. My Question now is: How can I set up the A800 in bridged mono mode? Do I simply use Output A, leave Output B empty and use input A for either right or left? I am aware of the bridge mono switch. 

I am also a bit stuck on the cables as I read that I have to switch one end of the speakon cable from 1+ to 2+ and 1- to 2-. Sadly I can find nothing on this in the instructions manual.

I am thankful for any input that might help.

Cheers!

read more...
    0 8
    • James Smith
      David Knighton Hi James Smith,
      If you focus on the rear of the amp, it is actually very clear how to connect the bridge outputs. Simply take the positive terminal of channel A and channel B, flip the unit into bridge mode, power cycle the unit, and plug your input into channel A. It also tells you that channel A positive is bridge positive, and channel B positive is Bridge negative. If you intend to use the speakon outputs, the silkscreen says to use channel B pins 1+/1-. If you're not sure what this means; almost every speakon has 4 terminals inside. A single amp channel only needs two, pin 1+/1- and pin 2+/2-. You'll need to ensure your NL4 speakon cable is properly wired for bridge operation on this amp by removing the connector sleeve and inpspecting the lead wires. Most speakons will be wired 1+/1- if they are 2 conductor cable.
      • Oct 21
    • James Smith
      Paul Vannatto Hi James, if you are planning on connecting 2 passive speakers to the A800, you shouldn't change the amp to bridge mode. The reason is that the minimum impedance for bridge mode is 8 ohm. Most passive speakers are typically 8 ohm impedance. If you daisy chain the 2 speakers, the amp will see 4 ohms, which it is not designed to power.

If you intend to power only one speaker, then you would wire the speakon end (plugged into the A jack) with + on 1+ and - on 2+.
      • Oct 21
    • James Smith
      James Smith Thanks for both your input!
      However, I am a bit confused now. I intend to use Speakon cables as output and I only intend to power one speaker with one amp. No daisy chaining. Paul Vannatos comment seems to contradict what David Knighton wrote regarding the wiring of Speakon outputs to the speakers. David also mentions to use channel B and Paul is telling me to use A. What is correct now? Can I use standard wiring 1+/1- or do I have to change the output wire - from 1- to 2+?

As in these instructions? (change the output wire)
      https://www.crownaudio.com/zh/site_elements/stb-gen-speakon-bridge-configuration-0001

Or as in the screenshot attached from the back of the A800 (use standard wiring 1+/1-)

FYI: I currently have a two conductor cable (two wires) wired to 1+/1-.
      • Oct 21
      • Behringer A800 Bridged Mono Mode setup
        David Knighton Hi James Smith,
        Many amps on the market would in fact utilize pin 1+/2+ for bridge operation, but not this amp specifically. So while Paul is correct in a sense, I don't believe he is correct regarding this particular amp.

EDIT: I retract my statement a bit. Paul is not wrong. I believe you can indeed rewire the speakon for 1+/2+ but only for speakon A output in bridge mode. Speakon B output is wired 1+/1- specifically for bridge mode operation so that you don't need to rewire the cable.
        • Oct 21
        Paul Vannatto Hi David, I definitely don't read the silkscreen that the bridge mode uses the B speakon jack. The top block shows that the 1+/1- is used on the A jack when using it in stereo mode. The bottom block shows the 1+/1- is used on the B jack also when using it in stereo mode. That is the standard for all amps that I've ever come across. The second section of the top block shows how to use the A jack for the dual side configuration (1+/1- for left, 2+/2- for right), which is also the standard configuration (industry wide). The B jack on this particular amp does not have this dual side configuration. Therefore the bridge mode (1+/2+) will only work using the A jack (also industry standard).
        • Oct 21
        David Knighton Hi Paul, it's possible I'm reading the silk screen incorrectly then. I'm looking at the literature to the side and making a correlation. Between bridge mode and output B. The user guide is not very clear on the subject.
        • Mon at 9:01 AM