Statistics

254,887 members
132,631 posts
  • AntiguaProd
    Contributor - Level 1
    2019-07-07

I am training a set of good volunteers on their Midas Pro2C system and I would like to know if I can either lock the gain and dynamics section.  While they understand the signal flow of the board, they still need to train their ear and in order to avoid making mistakes during service.  The Pastor has asked me for a way to lock the console which is something we did back when they had the Yamaha M7CL48; however, after reading the manual, I don't think such feature is available for the pro2.  I can't even find a section where you have "user" profiles and manage what one can and cannot do.  If this is indeed not available today in the latest firmware, how do I go about putting in a feature request? 

read more...
    0 208
    • AntiguaProd
      ChaseMcKnight

Hi AntiquaProd,

There isn't a way to 'lock' features on the PRO Series consoles. A potential solution could be to utilize the console's Automation and create Scenes. Now if something happens they can reload the Scene, effectively resetting the console to the desired settings prior to the mistake. You can also lock Scenes so they can't be overwritten. Hope this helps.

• July 8, 2019
  • jon9max
    Contributor - Level 3
    2019-07-04

Hello, I'm new. Very new. I don't even have the equipment yet.

I am going to have an M32C with a DL32. I am having it all racked up so we can use it for stereo IEM's, with a split for FOH.

This is a large band, 11 people, and there will be 6-7 stereo IEM's and just about all 32 inputs will be filled.

I am doing all I can to learn about the unit so we can get to work right away when I get this next week. 

It seems if you use all of the Physical outputs you can't use the effects? (I know the mix busses, but...)What does one have to do with the other? Am I missing something? There are 16 phys. outputs and 16 "mix busses" Did they not think people would not use up the physical outputs and the mix busses to go with them and Not want some reverb?

As I said, I don't know. Is there something I'm missing totally? Is there a workaround?

Thanks in advance! 

read more...
    0 378
    • jon9max
      Paul_Vannatto

Hi John @jon9max,

Welcome to the forum. Yes you are misunderstanding how the M32 engine is designed. Physical outputs are separate entities from the mixbuses. What I would suggest you do is to download the M32-Edit app (PC, Mac, linux and/or Raspberry Pi) and have a look at how everything is laid out.

There are 16 mixbuses that can be used to mix channel sends and output to various destinations, including physical outputs. Typically it is setup to use the first 12 mixbuses for monitor mixes or 6 mixbus stereo pairs, or a combination thereof. The last 3 mixbuses are typically used to mix channel sends to be sent to the first 4 Fx slots (side-chain) as the dry signal inputs. The wet signals are returned in stereo pair channel inputs (on the Aux layer channel strips 9-16), which can then be sent to the Main LR and/or any of the monitor mixes.

Assignments to the physical outputs are done in the Routing section and is accomplished in a 2 step process. First individual outputs are assigned to individual physical outputs on the Out 1-16, Aux Out or Ultranet. Then these outputs are assigned to the AES50 in banks of 8 of those individual assignments.

The best thing to do is play around with the M32-Edit, then ask questions here as they come up. That's how I got started back in Dec 2012 when my church got their X32. Because I was new to the digital mixing world, I ended up asking lots of questions.

• July 3, 2019
    • jon9max
      jon9max

Thanks so much Paul! 

I do have the M32 edit program and I am setting up as much as I can prior to getting the unit. That’s what brought me here with my question. You basically restated my question with your solution. When you said “typically” it is used in such a way...

What I’m asking, is if I use the mix busses to control the stereo IEM’s, can I use effects? 

• July 3, 2019
    • jon9max
      Paul_Vannatto

@jon9max wrote:

Thanks so much Paul! 

When you said “typically” it is used in such a way...

That is the way it is setup from the factory and I normally leave it that way. Fortunately it does give the ability to change that. For example, if you need 7 stereo IEM capability, you could use mixbuses 1-14 and use only the last 2 (15 and 16) for sends to 2 of the FX slots.

What I’m asking, is if I use the mix busses to control the stereo IEM’s, can I use effects? 

Yes of course you can. There are 2 ways of using the effects - sidechain or insert. Reverbs, delays, etc. work best using the side chain method, which requires a mixbus to feed them.

• July 3, 2019
    • jon9max
      jon9max

Ok, So can I insert them, then?  (I do know how they work best, but it looks like I'm not gonna be able to do it that way. It just seems wacky that the outputs are kinda tied to the mix buses, well, that there aren't more mix busses if you are using them to control the outputs for Iem's/monitors.) But It's so we can get a little reverb in the IEM's just so vocals and drums won't be completely dry. I haven't found a way to insert them.  Inserted to a subgroup an input channel? (subgroup would be great) 

thank you,

John

• July 4, 2019
    • jon9max
      BillHood

Hi @jon9max . Paul is the expert so you have the right person helping you out. Just thought I would chime in, as you asked about any workarounds... but I will note the DL32 has ADAT out for 17 through 32. I have often wondered if ADAT out to an ADA8200 wouldn't provide more physical outputs, but I don't need them so have never tried.

Alternatively, with 11 folks and 6-7 stereo IEM's I figure you are anticipating some shared mixes or wedges or similar? If you can work it with your group, using a couple of mix bus for compiling/grouping several channels like to a 'drum' L 'drum' R, you might be able to get away with using a couple of the P16 system in addition to the 16 physical outs. Downside is P16 only allows 16 assignments, which I find a real drawback. 

Idea might be mix bus 1-12 are individual L-R mixes and go to 12 of your physical outs for 6 stereo IEM, and you have 4 physical outs for Subs and Mains

Bus 13 and 14 then are 'drum' LR, bus 15 and 16 are for effects send. Or some combination of the above, whatever fits your need. Then for the P16 system you can assign the 'grouped' mix bus 13 and 14, where you can also mix in some of your effects returns to add reverb, then 14 other individual channels.

Not ideal I know, but maybe useful... also note the M32C has 'Monitor Out L and R' - I use those physical outs for my IEM as well. Still uses 2 mix bus, but is 2 more physical outs... just have to use some creative routining.

• July 4, 2019
  • DwayneAasberg
    Super Contributor - Level 1
    2019-06-30

Hello all.  Working with a new M32 in our church.

We have a pretty good handle on scenes, snippets and library entries.

But how about things like mixer settings under Setup and the Assign sections.  How can these settings be recorded in case somebody really mucks things up?

Thx in advance.
    Dwayne A

read more...
    0 303
    • DwayneAasberg
      Paul_Vannatto

Hi Dwayne @DwayneAasberg,

The assign settings are included in the scenes (lines 23-30). For the global settings, I thought Patrick had made a tool to backup and restore these settings. But looking on his website, I don't see it. You can backup these settings using Live Toolbox, MX Terminal, or LT_Command. 

To save the settings you would use he following tidbit commands (or create a tidbit file):

Store 1

Store 1 allconfig

Recall 1 tid "M32 Global Settings.tid"

To restore these settings, use the following tidbit command

Launch tid "M32 Global Settings.tid"

• June 30, 2019
    • DwayneAasberg
      DwayneAasberg

Good morning Paul and happy Canada Day.

Okay.  Assigns are included in scenes.  Good to know.

Since I don't see a way to manipulate them with snippets on the board I assume the only way copy assigns from one scene to another is with an off-board script editor.  Correct?

I will download the other tools you mention to capture and save the global settings.

Thx again for your help.
      D

• June 30, 2019
  • Giancarlo0901
    Contributor - Level 1
    2019-06-24
    0 122
    • Giancarlo0901
      CARLOSPER

Hola Giancarlo, como estas.

En que parte calienta el DL371, L

Le hicieron algun service de mantenimiento , limpieza de polvo, reciduos, etc que se acumulan en los fan?

Y como estan los powers supply? 

Cuando estas en la pagina de STATUS marca alguna parte amarilla?, Tambien chequea como estan las tensiones y temperaturas de trabajo cliqueando sobre el diagrama de DL371 

Espero ser util, Cualquier duda podemos seguir investigando

Saludos  y gracias 

Carlos M Perrone

• June 28, 2019
  • dendong
    Contributor - Level 1
    2019-06-23

Hi,

We are currently setting up Midas M32 and Mackie DL32R connection using Dante card. However, we do not clearly understand routing of M32 and DL32R. We would like to have M32 to control all inputs and outputs from DL32R. The routing will be like this, Inputs (mic) > DL32R > Midas > DL32R > Outputs (monitors, main L/R). Below is our current routing configuration for M32 and DL32R where only inputs 1-32 of DL32R can be controlled at M32. Meaning, we can only adjust gains of DL32R inputs thru input faders of M32 but the DL32R outputs cannot be controlled thru M32 ouput faders.

M32

Routing > Inputs (card 1-8, 9-16, 17-24, 24-32)

Routing > Card out (Out 1-8, 9-16), since DL32R has 14 outputs only with 13 & 14 as Main L/R

Routing > Output (DirectOut Ch 1-16), post fader

DL32R

Routing > Dante (Dante 1-32 > Mic Pre 1-32)

Routing > Input A (Ch 1-32 > Dante 1-32)

Routing > Output (XLR 1-14 > Dante 1-14), 13 & 14 as Main L/R

We hope someone could help us regarding the basic routing as we are newbie to digital audio networking. 

Thank you.

read more...
    0 382
    • dendong
      DaveMorrison

@dendong 

If I understand your question correctly, wouldn't you want the outputs from the M32 to be Bus 1-12 and LR on 13&14?  If this is the case, then set Routing 1-16 to be Mix Bus 1....12 to Output 1....12 and Main L&R to Output 13&14 (all post fader).

The Card Out routing looks correct if the Routing 1-16 is set to the above. 

If you need more help, Upload your scene file.

Here are (older) instructions for saving a scene. Remember to ZIP the file or it won't upload. https://behringerwiki.musictribe.com/index.php?title=Uploading_files_to_the_forum

• June 23, 2019
  • hughesaudio
    Contributor - Level 3
    2019-06-14

Hi,

I have a DL32 and 2 X32's. In the past I have used the 2 consoles as FOH and Monitor consoles. I have an upcoming festival style event and I was wondering if anyone has succefully linked 3 X/M32s. I think it should work but I would need to rent a 3rd console so I would like to know it works before having to rent it and finding out it doesn't.

The concept is DL32 split to FOH and MON console 1, then Monitor console 1 connected from AES50B to AES50A on Monitor console 2. The reason is to have Monitor console 1 for mixing floor monitors and Monitor console 2 for mixing in-ears. I just want to make sure I can route all of the inputs. Output can be routed from the consoles themselves.

Thank you!

read more...
    0 267
    • hughesaudio
      DaveMorrison

Hi @hughesaudio 

You can. You're better off not using the AES50-B port on the DL32 though. Routing is tricky and limited (although you maybe aware of this isue). Daisy Chain them; DL32(A)>Mon1>Mon2>FOH.

• June 14, 2019
    • hughesaudio
      GaryHiggins

I think it should work ok, the main issue (imo) would be that the B side of the DL will not have preamp gain control, only trims and will also not be able to dictate the DL outputs. If that's not an issue or is well considered you should be good. +/-18 db trilm per ch is usually enough if the gains are set up well initially. Routing in general needs to be carefully considered. Sounds interesting. My 2 cents.

• June 14, 2019
    • hughesaudio
      hughesaudio

Thanks for your help guys! It makes sense in my head I just wanted to see if anyone else has done the same to make sure it was possible. 

My preference would be for the FOH console to control Preamps. The digital trim will be plenty. 

I will let you know how it goes.

• June 16, 2019
    • hughesaudio
      hughesaudio

Hey guys,

Everything worked out as planned.

I ended up with this setup:

DL32 > S16 > X32 (FOH) > X32C (Mon1-Wedges/Sidefills) > X32C (Mon2-IEMs)

I ended up running it this way so the FOH console would have head amp control (all consoles were on the side of the stage so the cable runs were not an issue) and because I needed to use the S16 for inputs that I remaped to the Aux Ins. That required the S16 to be first in line after the consoles.

• July 7, 2019
  • drice
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-06-13

We have an M32 in our Broadcast TV station and the features are excellent, but we hate having to use up two faders for every stereo source input. I'm wondering if controlling a linked pair of inputs with a single fader might ever be a feature in a future firmware/software update?

read more...
    0 467
    • drice
      AnthonieHunter

Did you consider controlling the pair with a DCA?

• June 13, 2019
    • drice
      drice

Using a DCA to control a stereo input is a great idea and I’m using four of them for that purpose currently. We’ve got about 10 stereo sources we’d like to have on single faders. The console has enough inputs for all of our sources, just trying to get the most frequently used ones on the top fader layer. And trying to get my sound ops used to a console that is not our analog 32 channel Verona!  Thanks for the input!

• June 13, 2019
    • drice
      drice

While playing around with the great options that everyone has been suggesting, I stumbled upon another possibility (provided you aren't concerned with keeping stereo separation on a particular input). This solution could also work as a kind of internal router, and works around the "routing in banks of eight only" limitation by allowing the placement of any single input on any fader. 

Here's the theory (I have't actually tried it yet). Physically patch a cable between an available Aux Output and an XLR input in the 1-16 range (to put it on the first fader bank). Now you can internally route any one of your inputs to that Aux, and it will be available on that first bank's fader. Be sure to send that input prefader and pre-mute, then mute the actual input, so it does not feed the Main output from there. You'll now have full control of that input on the fader you chose, without having to change fader banks to get to it. You could send a stereo pair to that Aux and control it with that single fader (it will be summed mono of course), without burning a DCA or two top bank faders. 

In our TV studio, we have to occasionally use different sources for different shows, and the mix can be unpredicatable, so having 1 or 2 "route-able" inputs can be really useful to keep the frequently used faders for that show on the top page/bank. We've got a lot of possible inputs from audio clip playback devices, graphics SFX, in-studio guest mics, phone callers, Skype guests and satellite guests, so it's not possible to keep them all on the first fader bank, and the mixer's installation makes it impractical to physically repatch before each show. I can save a scene for each possible scenario and just load the correct one once I know where all my sources are coming from for a particular show. 

Thanks for all the great advice everyone, and I hope this idea can work for someone who might have been struggling with a similar issue (if it actually works and does not create some kind of audio black hole). 

• June 15, 2019
    • drice
      KevinMaxwell

@drice wrote:

While playing around with the great options that everyone has been suggesting, I stumbled upon another possibility (provided you aren't concerned with keeping stereo separation on a particular input). This solution could also work as a kind of internal router, and works around the "routing in banks of eight only" limitation by allowing the placement of any single input on any fader. 

Here's the theory (I have't actually tried it yet). Physically patch a cable between an available Aux Output and an XLR input in the 1-16 range (to put it on the first fader bank). Now you can internally route any one of your inputs to that Aux, and it will be available on that first bank's fader. Be sure to send that input prefader and pre-mute, then mute the actual input, so it does not feed the Main output from there. You'll now have full control of that input on the fader you chose, without having to change fader banks to get to it. You could send a stereo pair to that Aux and control it with that single fader (it will be summed mono of course), without burning a DCA or two top bank faders. 

In our TV studio, we have to occasionally use different sources for different shows, and the mix can be unpredicatable, so having 1 or 2 "route-able" inputs can be really useful to keep the frequently used faders for that show on the top page/bank. We've got a lot of possible inputs from audio clip playback devices, graphics SFX, in-studio guest mics, phone callers, Skype guests and satellite guests, so it's not possible to keep them all on the first fader bank, and the mixer's installation makes it impractical to physically repatch before each show. I can save a scene for each possible scenario and just load the correct one once I know where all my sources are coming from for a particular show. 

Thanks for all the great advice everyone, and I hope this idea can work for someone who might have been struggling with a similar issue (if it actually works and does not create some kind of audio black hole). 

I am not understanding what this will give you unless you are talking about using a Mix Bus to mearge each pair of inputs.

• June 16, 2019
    • drice
      drice

Merging (summing) the stereo inputs to one fader is one possible use, the other is that this allows me to internally route any one of my inputs to the top bank of faders. Sure, I could do this by simply connecting that device to an input that already appears on the top layer, but the connections on the back of our mixer are not easily accessible, and depending on what sources we are using for a show, I might want to quickly place something on a top level fader that does not usually appear there. Some other mixers allow you to do this on an single input basis, but the M32 locks you into routing inputs to faders in banks of eight. 

• June 17, 2019
  • saterl
    Contributor - Level 1
    2019-06-11

I don't know why the clip LED turns on when we playback through the usb card on the X32 and M32.

The Clip LED turns on at the level meter on the input channel even though the input level is low enough. 

When played, the actual input and output levels are within the normal range, but... ( - 6 dBFS? )

I don't think it's going to crush the sound. 

Why is that?

Thank you.

read more...
    0 102
  • RikRayner
    Contributor - Level 3
    2019-06-10

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to move up from my XR18 to either an X32 rack or a Midas M32C and the simple question is are the Behringer SD8/SD16 stageboxes compatible with the M32C or do I have to get the Midas DL stageboxes?

Thanks in advance

Rik

read more...
    0 1,048
    • RikRayner
      Paul_Vannatto

Hi Rik @RikRayner,

Yes the SD8 and SD16 will work with the M32C. But you don't gain much of the "Midas" touch that way. The M32C has the identical DSP engine as the X32 models. The difference is in the Midas preamps and outputs, which in the case of the M32C would be in the stagebox(s). You would be far better ahead to get an X32 Rack with an SD8 (or 2) or an SD16 IMO.

• June 10, 2019
    • RikRayner
      RikRayner

Hi Paul,

thanks for the confirmation.  I'm attracted by the ultra-compact form factor of the M32C and the ability to expand the array of inputs available, using both the DL and SD series stageboxes.  I can definitely see the use of an SD8 for a stagefront stagebox for monitor wedge and L/R outputs plus vocal mic inputs.  Just a shame that there is no Midas equivalent of the SD8

• June 10, 2019
    • RikRayner
      Paul_Vannatto

@RikRayner wrote:

I'm attracted by the ultra-compact form factor of the M32C and the ability to expand the array of inputs available, using both the DL and SD series stageboxes.  I can definitely see the use of an SD8 for a stagefront stagebox for monitor wedge and L/R outputs plus vocal mic inputs.  Just a shame that there is no Midas equivalent of the SD8

Yes its also a shame that they discontinued the X32 Core (the Behringer equivalent of the M32C). But to me the real shame is that they didn't produce a Midas equivalent to the X32 Rack. The reason is that there is a significant difference with the Midas Pro preamps and outputs (over the Behringer Midas designed).

Yes there is a space advantage of the 1U form factor, but at the expense of the flexibility of the inputs/outputs. As you probably know, I use a dual X32 Rack with and SD8 and SD18 setup. A couple of years ago (this Aug) I was setting up for a Chicago tribute band when we got hit with 4 downpours during setup/soundcheck. I had the SD16 at the back of the stage to handle the drums and backline and it got a bit wet (due to the horizontal driving rain). The results was that it was showing signals where there was nothing plugged in. Their sound engineer shared his concern and I quickly wheeled one of the Racks to the back of the stage, configured it as an S16, repatched - and we were back in business in about 10 minutes. The other Rack was used as the main mixer, situated at one end of the stage and took care of the MC wireless mics and and opening act (since we were using all 24 inputs of the stageboxes for the main act). If I had a choice between an M32C and X32 Rack, I'd still choose the Rack.

• June 10, 2019
    • RikRayner
      RikRayner

Hi Paul,

I can see that by taking the X32 rack I have a backup option of hardwiring into the desk in the event of a stagebox failure.  We've never exceeded the 16 inputs on the XR18 so a pair of SD8s would handle everything connectivity-wise, plus give me the flexibity of stage positioning and additional inputs if the need arises, albeit not as conveniently connected.  Perhgaps that SD16 might be a good option ??

• June 10, 2019
    • RikRayner
      Paul_Vannatto

@RikRayner wrote:

We've never exceeded the 16 inputs on the XR18 so a pair of SD8s would handle everything connectivity-wise, plus give me the flexibity of stage positioning and additional inputs if the need arises, albeit not as conveniently connected.  Perhgaps that SD16 might be a good option ??

You've never exceeded because you didn't have a choice  Just wait...

If I had only a choice between an SD16 or 2 SD8's, I'd choose the 2 SD8's. It gives you 8 more outputs, plus it gives more flexibility of positioning at stage front/back or left/right, reducing the cable spaghetti.

• June 10, 2019
  • Mrizzo94
    Contributor - Level 1
    2019-06-06

I prefer using matrixes. However, unless I link them together I can't send Main left to Matrix Left. If there a way to mute just the left or just the right channel without un linking them?

0 158
    • Mrizzo94
      RexBeckett

@Mrizzo94 

Hi Michael, welcome to the forum.

You cannot normally mute one side of stereo linked channels or buses. Why do you want to do this? There may be another way to achieve what you want.

• June 6, 2019
Go to page