Statistics

196,780 members
67,417 posts
  • New
    2020-11-16

What can you do with the 16 XLR outputs on the S32?

On some level, this is a dumb question, but I ask because I read this on an ad for the S32 ... "A single Cat 5 cable from front of house to the stage can handle up to 48 channels of audio and deliver all bus outputs, along with 16 separate monitor feeds for Behringer's optional P16-M Personal Monitoring System."

I am a newbie to X32 and neck-deep in training to learn it, but I was a little baffled by the way that the S32 was marketed in this way since you would use Ultranet to connect the P16 instead of XLR, which the P16 has none of. Moreover, you can daisy chain with Ultranet and have 48 P16's if you wanted.

Anyway, it didn't make any sense, and then I thought, "hmmm ... then what would I do with those XLR outputs on the S32?" Given my newbie status in all this, I realized that I have no idea and someone here likely can "take me to school".

read more...
    0 2
    • Clark Vangilder
      Rex Beckett Hi Clark, the ad wording may be a little confusing. I think what it was trying to explain is that a single Cat5 cable can handle 48 bidirectional signals. With the S32 this allows all 32 XLR inputs plus sixteen XLR outputs plus sixteen monitor mixes via Ultranet/P16 along with ADAT, AES3 and Midi. You may not need all the different outputs for one gig but they're available when required.

The XLR outputs would usually be used to feed monitor wedges, wired/wireless IEM and main PA channels at the stage level.
      • Nov 16
      • S32 XLR outputs are for what?!
        Clark Vangilder So each of those 16 XLR outs are "all of the above", or whatever I tell them to be from the FOH X32, which appears to be able to do just about anything that you want. It is insane what these toys are capable of.
        • Nov 16
      • S32 XLR outputs are for what?!
        Rex Beckett Yes the routing in the X32 system is very flexible. You can configure each of the XLR outputs to be fed from a very wide range of possible sources.
        • Nov 16
    • Clark Vangilder
      Paul Vannatto Hi Clark, welcome to the X32 world. The quote you provided is correct. But your interpretation has issues. First of all, the ethernet cable (eg. shielded cat5e/6/7), also called the AES50 cable transfers 48 channels bidirectional (in both directions) between the X32 and stagebox(es) and/or other X32.

The last 16 channels (33-48) is typically used to feed the Ultranet port included in many of the stageboxes (including the S32). This Ultranet feeds P16 personal monitors with 16 individual channels so that the performer can mix their own monitor/IEM mix. Daisy chaining the P16 provide the same 16 channels for all P16. The Ultranet can also feed Ultranet ready speakers, such as the TurboSound iQ line of speakers (which are great BTW).

I'm not sure if anyone has found the maximum P16 that can be daisy-chained and or connected via P16-D distributors. A few years ago, there was 63 P16 used simultaneously for an orchestra.

The 16 XLR outputs of the S32 uses the first 16 channels of the AES50 feed and can be used to provide audio for FOH speakers/subs as well as standard wedges, etc. They can also be used to feed other outputs, such as remote speakers (foyer, nursery, etc.), broadcast, etc.

I personally don't use the P16 since I provide sound for many bands and events. The lack of scribble strips on the P16 make it a bit awkward in using it with multiple bands during a live event. Instead I've provided inexpensive android tablets for the performers to be able to mix their monitor/IEM mixes and use the stagebox(s) XLR outputs to feed the wedges and/or IEM's.

Last year I had the opportunity to beta-test the new DP48 personal monitors and used them with 10 local and 9 tribute bands (Aug - Oct). Because all 48 channels of the AES50 are available that can be grouped in up to 12 groups (each group can be labeled on the display), along with up to 12 presets available, this made the switching between bands a piece of cake. The DP48 are now my preferred monitor mixers.

:edit: Evidently Rex beat me to it
      • Nov 16
  • New
    2020-11-16

Hi, I'm interested in buying a TC Helicon Go XLR Mini for my streaming setup but I've got a question about the optical input of the device. 

Is it possible to send the output of my DAW from an external sound card (RME) through the optical input of the Helicon ?

Or is it only meant for gaming devices ? 

read more...
    0 11
    • Francesco Loppoli
      William Reichling Hello Francesco, You can go from the optical out at 24 bit 48Khz from a separate device. If you are going from the computer sound card, it can't be the same PC that GO XLR is running on.
      • Nov 16
  • New
    2020-11-16

My name's Pablo. 

I'm very interested in 

Behringer Xenyx X2442 USB

I'D LIKE TO KNOW IF THE INPUT (XLR o TRS) for a electric guitar has or not an ID box to level up the impedance near 20000 Ohm.

And the secon question is if I'd like to use the mixer witw a DAW, can a use a subgroup to send multi tracks to the pc instead using the usb por to send altogether in two channels  

Thanks a lot  Regards

read more...
    0 8
    • Pablo Machado
      Rex Beckett Hi Pablo, according to the specification, the XLR inputs have an impedance of 2.6K Ohms (balanced) and the TRS inputs are 20K (balanced) and 10K (unbalanced). I would use a DI box with an input impedance of at least 220K to connect a guitar with a passive pickup.

You could record multi-tracks by using the Direct or Sub outputs. You would need a multi-channel analogue interface to connect these outputs to a PC for recording. e.g. UMC1820 for eight channels.
      • Nov 16
    • Pablo Machado
      Pablo Machado Thanks a lot Rex. Your comments for are me are very helpful. THX
      • Nov 16
  • New
    2020-11-13

Midas HUB4 Firmware UpdateVersion 2.5

This update introduces a wealth of new features that help simplifying setup, improve overview and provide new means of communication for all live performance and studio production applications, where musicians are in control of their own monitor mix. Midas is constantly adding new features and making enhancements to this extremely stable ecosystem of digital mixers, I/O boxes and personal monitoring mixers. This means you always experience the best possible performance. Visit midasconsoles.com and check for updates of your products regularly. Download the latest firmware for DP48 and HUB4, and make sure the latest versions will be installed to both.

New Features 2.5

• Talkback support for X/M32Improvements
    • Submit all connected AES50 devices in chain to X/M32
    • Fix for USB bootloader issues on newest AMD processors

Firmware Update Process with SimplyPUT

1. Download SimplyPUT from midasconsoles.com (available for OSX, Windows and Linux)2. Extract the archive and follow the on-screen instructions to install software3. Connect HUB4 to computer via USB4. Hold button 1 below ‘PORT 1-4 TO OUTPUTS’ while turning on HUB45. Keep pressing until all buttons 1 - 4 turn green6. Open SimplyPUT and select most recent Firmware-Version from the drop-down menu7. Press Update-Button to update firmware8. Do not turn off the device before the update has finished(active Update is indicated by flashing Buttons 1 - 4 )9. After successful update restart HUB4 and detach USB-ConnectionVisit midasconsoles.com and check for updates of your products regularly.

Download here: https://www.midasconsoles.com/midas/product?modelCode=P0DM1

read more...
    2 147
  • 2020-10-16

I can't officialy locate the most recent mode chart for the DL/S16. It seems we also could use a manual update to reflect those modes or minimally some link to the changes made? The current manual only shows 10 modes. The newer chart is better IMO for the first 10 older modes as well. The new modes (11 and 12) have been around for quite a while now (maybe 2 years?) but no documentation is findable these days. I found it once a long while ago (and made a copy) but am unsure from where-perhaps an older firmware file? There is but ONE firmware file available today so nobody can check past versions unless they saved the old files themselves. I do have a copy I saved (pic attached) and there is some wiki info available from back then but the most recent chart (not my creation) appears to no longer exist anywhere others might find. At best it is VERY well hidden.

read more...
    2 14
  • 2020-10-16

I discovered quite by accident that all these stageboxes: SD8/16, S/DL16 and S/DL32 had new firmware updates as of September 30! Perhaps I am the only one who missed this but since I visit here so often and was unaware of it, I figure maybe some other users may also have missed it. If you use DP48's (or ever will) it's pretty important. The latest version enables them to "forward DP48 Messages via AES50 when daisy chaining multiple devices."

read more...
    1 2
  • 2020-10-14

Hi Folks,

Would you please advise if we can insert the Klark Teknik DN 32 USB to Midas Pro 3 for multitrack recording?

Which software you prefer in this case?

Many thanks!

0 17
    • Diem Tran
      John Matthews Hi Diem, the DN32USB is only compatible with M and X series consoles not Pro Series. You should take a look at the DN9630 if you want to record from Pro 3 to computer via USB.
      • Oct 14
      • Dn 32 USB & Midas pro 3
        Diem Tran Many thanks John
        • Oct 15
    • Diem Tran
      Joe Brindley Just got one of these and looking forward to putting it to use with our Pro2.
      • Nov 13
  • 2020-10-09

Hey guys, 

i just realized that channel 1-8 does not work properly with my s16 stage box when I plug headphones in the phones output. It sounds as if the sound there is extremely overdriven. 

Channel 9-16 work but without problems.

What could be the reason for this? Configuration error or warranty case?

Thanks in advance!

Lukas

read more...
    0 4
    • Lukas Jost
      Jason Brewer Hello Lukas - It sounds like there are many variables that could be causing the issue. I would click the support tab above and create a tech support case so we can deep dive on a few options here. There could be a bad cable connection with your cables but more than likely there could be an internal issue we would need to address. Let me know if you have any trouble creating a ticket and we can go from there.
      • Oct 9
  • 2020-10-08

I am considering purchasing the Behringer WING but was curious if it was compatible with all AES50 stage boxes? We are considering the Midas DL251 stage box as a companion but just wanted to confirm that these two would work properly together.

0 20
    • christopher Fair
      Paul Vannatto Hi Chris, yes firmware 1.02 added Midas stagebox (DL251, DL15x, DL231) support. So any firmware newer than that should support those boxes. Current firmware is 1.07
      • Oct 8
      • WING compatible stage boxes?
        christopher Fair Thanks Paul for the update. Appreciate it.
        • Oct 8
    • christopher Fair
      Gary Higgins Also I would hope the Stage Connect boxes will be released sometime soon (before I die).....and also the Hub4 here in the US.
      • Oct 8
  • 2020-09-29

Hello Everybody,
    I am searching for a solution including Driver to use my Midas Venice F24 with my new laptop. The Drivers on the Midas homepage are not compatible with the latest OsX version 10.15.6. It is also hard for me to find an adapter from firewire to thunderbolt 3.

Does anyone have any suggestions, tipps or solutions?

Thanks

read more...
    0 56
    • Florian Scheibein
      Nigel Turner Hi Florian. Yes, I am afraid that the VF will not work with Catalina. The only option that I can suggest, however I do not know if anyone has tried it, would be to have a dual boot on the MAV where you can try running a much older version of OSX that originally worked with the Venice F. I have no idea whether this will work, I only found out that you could dual boot two versions of OSX on a MAC a couple of months ago. If you do try it, please let me know the outcome as it may make a lot of other Venice F owners extremely happy.
      • Sep 29
    • Florian Scheibein
      Sebastian Rothermel He Florian, I haven't tried it so far but the attached link looks promising. Just got a Venice F16 but first it needs some service before it will go into the studio. https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/1278805-midas-venice-f32-catalina-64bit.html
      • Oct 15
      • Midas Venice F24 firewire on a MacBook Pro 2019 (Thunderbolt3)
        Nigel Turner I had heard of this working in Mojave, but not Catalina. This is great news. Thank you for highlighting it.
        • Oct 19
Go to page