Statistics

173,759 members
41,214 posts
  • 2020-08-08

Hi all,

Thank you so much for the efficient help I've found here.

Here is another question I have for you.

In order to get the XAir 12 connected to a computer as an USB entry of a DAW (Garageband on MacBook Pro), I have added this Behringer box UMC202HD, connected as shown in the attached picture.

When I play 1 chord on my guitar, XAIR Edit shows a signal level of -30 db on the main LR output.

The signal I get as a result in Garageband is all the way right on the red clipping zone.

I have a ton of ways to get this signal to the right level, and this is my problem; from thebeginning to the end :

- reduce the volume on the guitar (at the max right now to reduce the noise and parasites)

- reduce the gain in XAIR Edit (at +20 right now because when all the faders are at 0, this is the best balance between all the devices connected to the XR12 - mic, others guitars)

- reduce the fader of the channel in XAIR Edit (at 0 right now)

- reduce the fader of the main output in XAIR Edit (at 0 right now)

- reduce the volume of the output channels on the UMC202

- reduce the volume of the main output on the UMC202

- switch from line to instrument on the UMC202 (no effect anayway)

- push the pad switwh on the UMC202

- reduce the entry level of the channel in Garageband (at -5db right now)

- reduce the volume of the master track in Garageband (at -5db right now)

- a combination of the aboves

Sorry for this long post. Thank you for reading.

read more
    0 1
  • 2020-08-07

I would like to use my ethernet connection to send outputs from my mains to a PC on the network.

Has anyone done that?  Also, what cables and interfaces do you need to hook up the X USB card to the network?

Thanks!

0 3
    • joehooli
      Paul Vannatto The X32 ethernet port is for control only using the OSC protocol (via UDP). No audio is passed to it.

The X-USB card provides 32 channel audio (bidirectional) via USB only. If you want audio on a network, you need to invest in an X-Dante card.
      • Fri at 2:12 PM
    • joehooli
      joehooli Thanks! So I need a square USB to rectangular USB cord to connect to a PC, yes? Is it a special cable or generic? I have one left over from an older HP printer that might work.
      • Fri at 2:21 PM
      • Assigning outputs to x32 ethernet port
        Paul Vannatto Yes a printer cable should work
        • Fri at 2:46 PM
  • 2020-08-07

Hi all. I know theres been a shakeup of the forums here so I thought I would just post and see if there was a good answer to my question.

I have seen various things on Youtube and other places of people using small microcontrollers like Arduinos and others to both send and receive commands from X32s. I have of course seen Patrick Maillot's site but it seems to be down now (404 from site.google when you try to go). 

My question is: where can i see the full documentation and code of one of these projects? Its proving difficult to find. Specifically, I need to rig up an Arduino that can react to different signals sent out by the X32, such as turning on a light when a certain channel is opened, or shutting off another. I am well versed in the GPIO side of it, I know how to write scenes for the Arduino, but I have yet to find any example code of one that controls or can read signals from an X32. I'd also like to make one that can serve as a trigger for the Talkback button, as the X-Touch controller does not have one.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

read more
    0 5
    • servo386
      David Knighton Hello Servo 386. While I'm not well versed in Arduino at the moment, I have seen various Arduino MIDI projects that could potentially fit your application. You can use the console's MIDI interface to send control commands out to the Arduino, and then the Arduino can be programmed to trigger alternate functions depending on which command is received. From what I have heard, you can MIDI map almost every control on the console, although I've never actually done so. There might be a forum or video on the web that can help with that. I'm sorry to say I don't have any links to provide you, but I will suggest a Facebook group called SYNTH DIY. The people on that page have come up with some surprising builds to control their synths. Also you might want to check out LOOK MUM NO COMPUTERS, as he's built some whacky MIDI devices using Arduino over the past few years. He keeps Arduino codes and build information up on his site if anyone fancies to try and build something similar. Hope this helps.
      • Fri at 7:20 AM
      • Controlling X32 with Arduino or other microcontroller
        servo386 This is very useful indeed, I had thought about MIDI too but im even less well versed in that but you're right, it might be the answer. Thanks!
        • Fri at 7:39 AM
    • servo386
      - mjk - Patrick's new site is https://x32ram.com/ He can be reached there.
      • Fri at 8:18 AM
      • Controlling X32 with Arduino or other microcontroller
        servo386 Thanks for the info. Seems Patrick has gone commercial now, though my use case doesn't involve Reaper so maybe not.
        • Fri at 8:31 AM
    • servo386
      Paul Vannatto Hi, a few corrections on some facts.

First of all, Patrick has not "gone commercial". The X32Automate app is one of his commercial apps. His other website that has provided his many free apps to us all went down due to a Google glitch and he is now in the process of rebuilding that site from scratch.

Secondly, The X32 midi implementation is very limited in scope, particularly with the X32 triggering external midi devices. As far as I know, only cues can be setup to trigger midi events. Going the other way (external devices sending midi to X32), it is also very limited in what can be controlled on the X32 using midi.

:Edit: I just came across the X32_Midi_Implementation document and I stand to be corrected. The X32 can transmit midi when fader, mutes, mutegroups and pans are changed.

From what you describe, you need the OSC protocol, not midi. Fortunately, we have developed some OSC sketches for the arduino and other similar devices. Here is a link to one that a fellow forum member (and a friend of mine) developed from the OSC sketch that I provided.

https://community.musictribe.com/discussions/84347/264519/osc-fx-control-pedal-connected-over-ethernet-for-xair-mixers
      • Fri at 10:18 AM
    • servo386
      servo386 Exactly what I was looking for, thanks!
      • Fri at 10:40 AM
    • servo386
      - mjk - Thanks Paul. The reason that I mentioned his site so the OP could contact Patrick about a solution (which I thought would be OSC in the end). Patrick can make his WING turn on the coffee machine, hehe.
      • 7 hours ago
  • 2020-08-06

How long does it take to hear anything about a ticket for warranty repair?

0 2
    • axeslinger1
      Rex Beckett It may take a few days in the current situation. You should have received a confirmation email within a day or two. If not, check your email spam/junk folder.
      • Thu at 2:45 PM
    • axeslinger1
      Nigel Turner What was your ticket number and I can check for you
      • Fri at 12:45 AM
  • 2020-08-06

Have a question..

I'm trying to remove the USB card on my M32R does anyone know what size and type of screwdriver I will need? Is it Hex or Touque?

Thanks

0 9
    • Matthew Ross
      Paul Vannatto On my X32, its a Philips (star).
      • Thu at 11:27 AM
      • Midas M32R
        Matthew Ross Interesting I tried a star bit and it didn't work
        • Thu at 11:30 AM
    • Matthew Ross
      Gary Higgins M32’s use Torx, can’t remember the size but it’s a common one. EDIT: It’s a T10, I just tried one.
      • Thu at 11:45 AM
      • Midas M32R
        Paul Vannatto Thanks Gary
        • Thu at 11:46 AM
      • Midas M32R
        Matthew Ross Thanks as well Gary
        • Fri at 9:19 AM
    • Matthew Ross
      Dale Minaker Should be a T10 standard across the range, you can always use an allen key as a workaround if you don't have the torx bits.
      • Fri at 5:59 AM
  • 2020-08-05

First, are the F1, F2 and F3 keys on the upper right corner of the Wing Console programmable like the user keys?  And if so, how would I access the programming functions?

Thanks very much

0 7
    • Jan Williams
      Paul Vannatto No they are not, Jan. They are context sensitive to the selected function.
      • Wed at 1:05 PM
      • Programming the F1, F2 and F3 keys on Wing Console
        Jan Williams Thanks Paul. Seems like that could be expanded so that user functions could be programmed.
        • Wed at 1:31 PM
    • Jan Williams
      Dick Straathof Hi, from what I found out the F1, F2, and F3 display views correspond with the first three pages of the Custom Controls.
      I have four reverb/delay effects in my first custom control layer programmed and I like the convenience that delay times and reverb length are visible at all times without touching the rotary knob first.

DickS.
      • Wed at 11:38 PM
  • 2020-08-05

Hi all,

I have a Fender Strato connected on a Hi-Z input of a XR12 via a PRO DI box removing a big part of the noise but not all of it.

I could remove almost 100% of what was remaining with a noise gate.

All good except when the sound of the guitar fades out, the sound kind of breaks and is not a nice continuous fading out sound.

I have uploaded a screen shot of the noise gate.

Any suggestion ?

Thank you for your help

read more
    0 9
    • Saleya
      Rex Beckett It can be difficult to tune a Gate so that you don't hear it operate. I would try either turning off the Side Chain Filter or setting it to a wider bandwidth. For high-frequency noise (hiss) you could try setting it to HC12 with a higher Frequency. If the noise is low-frequency (hum), you could try LC12 with a lower Frequency. You want the gate to be triggered open by any note but not noise. It may also help to extend the Release time.
      • Wed at 2:31 AM
    • Saleya
      Saleya Thank you Rex for taking the time. I will try that this evening and let you know.
      • Wed at 6:36 AM
    • Saleya
      Saleya Rex, definitely some improvements playing with the Side Chain Filter, but, as you mentioned, no 100% perfect when the sound fades away, but at this level, it might not even be audible in real life. Anyway, playing with the frequencies I found this essential website : https://www.zytrax.com/tech/audio/audio.html One must know where to cut (gate, equalizer, ...) according to the instrument on the channel.
      • Wed at 5:35 PM
  • 2020-08-04

Hi,

I have not been able to find any detailed documentation on the enormous amounts of buttons and feature in the Wing. Bot for all settings in the Setup menu and all other options and parameters on the console. Like the "EQ-Band/Key" Listen button?

thor

read more
    0 3
    • thormilde
      Paul Vannatto A Wing users manual has not yet been released. The best documentation is either posts here on the forum or instructional videos on YouTube.
      • Tue at 6:37 AM
  • 2020-08-03

Sorry if this posted twice.

Still a newbie on the X32 mixer I recently misplaced channels 9 - 16 and after much hunting found them misrouted to local instead of AES50.(That's a long story cut very short!)  During the search I noticed that channels 1-8 have an `A` in the channel LCD screen which seems to mirror a setting in the home screen `auto mix X Y`.  I can't seem to find this in the manual and am now curious to know what it is and why it is ony on channels 1-8

read more
    0 4
    • Wildtech
      Rex Beckett On the X32, the automix function is only supported on channels 1-8. Automix can be useful for managing panel discussions but doesn't help in most music applications.
      • Mon at 3:17 PM
    • Wildtech
      Wildtech Thanks Rex. As probably 99% of my use will be music I can consider this function as perhaps an appendix then. It just happened to be one of a few red herrings in my search for my missing channels . :)
      • Mon at 3:21 PM
  • 2020-08-02

I've had this mixer up and running without any problems for about 3 months but in the last few weeks it's intermittently dropping the connection via ethernet. At first it was random but today it would stay connected for about 2 minutes or so. It stayed connected one time for about 5 minutes. Once the reconnect dialog box pops up you can reconnect without any problems until it drops again. Quite frustrating to say the least

The ethernet cable it a 50ft (factory made) cable that has not given any problems for several years. Both ends of the cable have been re-seated several times to hopefully take away a bad connection possibilty.

Any thoughts on the possible promlem(s) would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Glen

read more
    0 9
    • Glen Buerky
      Paul Vannatto Good chance it is one of the ends of the ethernet cable. Yes cables do go bad. I would suggest that you either re-terminate both ends or try another cable.
      • Aug 2
    • Glen Buerky
      Glen Buerky You are correct sir cables can and do go bad. And that could be the problem though I didn't really consider it as it is in what I think would be called a static situation. It goes from point A to B and does not get moved at all. As a stop gap measure I connected via wireless today until I can get a new ethernet cable to see if that fixes the problem. Thanks for your input sir.
      • Mon at 6:09 PM
    • Glen Buerky
      Saleya If the problem remains with a new cable, try to turn the wifi of your computer off. I cannot connect my XR12 with ethernet when the wifi is on. Once connected, I can turn the wifi back on. But there might be a sort of conflictual situation with x-air trying to use wifi when it is available, even when already connected via ethernet.
      • Tue at 6:14 PM
      • Behringer XR18 intermittent ethernet connection problems
        Glen Buerky An interesting idea to say the least. The wifi on the computer has been on all this time and I didn't suspect it as a possible culprit in this situation. It was not used for connecting to the mixer at any time previously. I will check on this before I connect the new ethernet cable as the routing of said cable is a very difficult one as it has to up into the attic of the church and forward about 40ft and then back down to the mixer location. I'd like very much to not have to do that. Thanks for your input.
        • Tue at 7:27 PM
        Saleya No garanties GLEN, just a thought. Let us know how it goes.
        • Wed at 6:38 AM
        Saleya Another thought : such a long cable might be disturbed by the electric lines and lights if any. Make sure it does not run close and in parallel to any electric line ; it must cross the electric lines perpendicularly and travel as far as possible from them.
        • Wed at 6:42 AM