Statistics

294,768 members
177,897 posts
  • New
    Hiortintexas
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2020-11-23

How would you set up the compression on this channel for speaking voice that sometimes get pretty loud?

i dont really understand how this one work (picture)

0 305
    • Hiortintexas
      DaveMorrison The two basic controls you should focus on are Threshold and Ratio. How you set them depends on what you're doing. You could maybe set the Threshold at -20 with a ratio of 2 for some gentle compression during the louder moments. The threshold controls the level where the compressor starts to work. The graph will give you an idea how it works. If you want the clamp down just the loudest section, you could run it more like a limiter. Try the threshold at -10 and the ration at 6 (or more). Be aware that compression in floor monitors can increase the risk of feedback ( it's less likely when your just limiting with the threshold set to -10 or -5). Use the Gain control to "make up" the gain you lose when the compressor is on (ie. make them the same when it "Active" and then bypassed)
      • November 22, 2020
    • Hiortintexas
      KevinMaxwell A loud speaking voice isn’t really a problem at all unless they are distorting the input. If someone is speaking loud you can just turn down the channel or turn down the trim.

There were some events that I have done where I always had a finger on the channel (fader) of the persons speaking. Actually that was most events because they were high enough profile that it had to be perfect or as close to perfect as is humanly possible. And I usually had a compressor on that vocal subgroup to even out the vocal mics and it was a DBX160 usually set to a 3:1 compression ratio. I would strongly suggest that on the X32 in the channel compressor under the gain envelope (on the page that you included) that you select “Auto Time”. This automatically sets the attack, release and hold times to settings that work better for most things that you want to compress, unless you are looking for some other compression behavior then what I consider normal.

The challenge is if you have a person that is speaking inconsistently. If they go from a whisper to shouting that can be challenging. That style of speaking is usually what the fiery preacher might do and the challenge there is they really want to hear themselves get REALLY LOUD. One way to deal with that if the preacher isn’t a pain about it is to use the channel compressor at about 4:1 and set the threshold to where it is working a little bit all of the time. And set the knee to 5, this makes the point at which the compressor is actually triggering to be smoother and not too sudden.

The use a second compressor to be closer to limiting that is set to keep the really loud parts under control. You can do that by either inserting another compressor on that channel or send that channel to a Mix Bus (and route that Mix Bus to the L/R and make sure the channel isn’t going directly to the L/R) and use the Mix Bus compressor to a more aggressive compression ratio like 10:1 and set the threshold on that to only trigger when the preacher gets really loud. I actually never use the L/R as my output to the house speakers I always use a Matrix outputs. Usually because I have more speakers in the system then just Left and Right. But even if I am using just Left and Right speakers I still use the Matrix outs.
      • November 23, 2020
      • X32Edit - configure compression on a channel with loud speaking voice
        Hiortintexas You have me a great pointer. My biggest problem is the level out to the streaming and as I have that on its own bus, I can then put a more aggressive compression on that one as you suggest.
        • November 27, 2020
        Hiortintexas You mention using matrix outs even just for L/R what is the reading for that ?
        • November 27, 2020
        KevinMaxwell One of the reasons I do that is using the matrix out gives the user the ability to trim the overall output without having to run the L/R so low on the fader that the tiniest movement is too drastic a change, up or down. I did this in a church system that was using an X32 for their youth room so they have more control. They were able to run the inputs hot enough and also the L/R master at around the nominal level and bring the Matrix down so as to not be too loud at the speakers.

For systems I am running I only use the L/R bus as my playback bus and that goes to the Matrix to feed the speaker system. I route my channels to the Mix Bus sends using them as variable sub groups. I set up the system (EQ and processing) for linearity, what goes in is what comes out. And I then EQ the variable groups like the vocals for best gain before feedback. And I can do group processing if needed for the different Mix Bus sends that then go to the Matrix sends. This way you aren’t overly EQing a system for feedback on a vocal mic. Your playback and tightly mic-ed or direct input instruments sound more natural.

I almost always am using more than just L/R even if it is only an additional front fill speaker or speakers. And the Matrix gives me the ability to feed only what I want in each speaker (Matrix) send. For example if the stage level of the instruments are loud enough I would usually not have much of them in the front fill speakers. And if I am using delay speakers for a musical I might put more of the pit band in the delay Matrix.
        • November 27, 2020
  • New
    Hiortintexas
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2020-11-23

Can I change how channels are shown on the iPad in the X32 Software?

I.e, can the first channels on the view be e.g MixBus1 MixBus2 Ch1 Ch2 Ch3. etc ....

0 30
  • New
    Hiortintexas
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2020-11-23

I want to connect a laptop to play music over the system.

How do I route these AUX inputs as input for Channel 1 so we can control the volume out to the FOH ?

(The reason I want it to channel 1 is so the sound person can have it on the fist page on the iPad)

read more...
    0 242
    • Hiortintexas
      Paul_Vannatto Assign Aux 5 to channel 1 strip source and Aux 6 to channel 2 strip source. Of course if you change to Mixing Station, you won't have to do this.
      • November 22, 2020
      • X32 - Routing AUX in (RCA connections to Channel Strip)
        Hiortintexas Mixing Station ?
        • November 22, 2020
        Paul_Vannatto Mixing Station is a 3rd party app that have been used by many of us since 2013 on our android tablet. About a year ago, the developer ported it to the iPad/iPhone (as well as PC and Mac). It is far superior in functionality and features from the official app.
        • November 23, 2020
    • Hiortintexas
      -mjk- Also, note that anything plugged into the 6.5mm TRS jack will break the connection to the RCA I/O jacks. I was hoping I could plug 2 source/destination devices into channels 5 and 6, but it's either/or.
      • November 22, 2020
        Hiortintexas I suspected that, so if 5-6 RCA is used , 5-6 TRS can not be used and vice versa.
        • ·
        • November 22, 2020
        -mjk- Right. I don't know if it helps, but, if you leave the RCA plugs in the jacks, they get cut off by the 6.5mm TRS switching jack as soon as you insert a cable. You don't have to actually remove them. But in order to get the RCA jacks to activate, you do have to remove the TRS plugs.
        • November 23, 2020
  • New
    KeithBrown
    Contributor - Level 3
    2020-11-22

I must admit that I'm puzzled that there has been no mention of the release of a new firmware for the X32 ecosystem in this area. I *think* that it was released on the 17th and this is precisely where I would expect to see the announcement but ...

Also, I believe that there is a new X32-Edit version, 4.2, although whether or not it is new I can't really tell since that sort of thing doesn't seem to rate mentioning here (and I lurk here every day). All I know is that I was running the previous version and have now upgraded to the latest.

Finding the software on the Behringer site is potentially tricky since there are two ways to go. If you navigate to the X32 product page you can either click the Downloads button at the top (which is what I tried because ... that's how everyone else on the planet does it) or on the right side of the page there is a software link. The software link is where to find everything, *not* the Downloads button. I don't know what the Behringer web programmers have been smoking but it must be pretty wild and crazy stuff. But then I guess we all knew that since the introduction of the new and improved forum. ;)

Keith

read more...
    1 111
    • KeithBrown
      Paul_Vannatto Hi Keith, yes the new firmware (4.04) and Edit (4.2) were released this week for both X32 and M32. You are correct that the best way to download these updates is by selecting them from the Software side panel, rather than the (older method of) Download.

The one big thing they added to both is the DCA spill feature. In the Edit, it is the last item in the Utility dropdown.
      • November 22, 2020
    • KeithBrown
      KeithBrown Yes. I have yet to try the DCA spill feature but it looks interesting and potentially a useful new feature.
      • November 22, 2020
    • KeithBrown
      RuneHagen I tried this firmware and when i tried to use the buttons for busses 1-16 on my X-Touch it hanged my X32-rack. Connection lost from both X-Touch and X32-Edit. had to turn the mixer off and on to get it up and running again. Tried different settings, XCTL, XTCL+MCU and XTCL+HUI but same result. I downgraded to 4.03 and now it is working fine again.
      • November 22, 2020
      • X32 Firmware 4.04
        Paul_Vannatto Also make sure you are using the latest X32-Edit (4.2) and latest X-Touch firmware (1.5)
        • November 24, 2020
      • X32 Firmware 4.04
        RuneHagen Really strange!
        yeah, i had the latest X32-edit and latest X-touch firmware. I shall try to export the file next time i am at the mixer.
        • November 24, 2020
      • X32 Firmware 4.04
        Paul_Vannatto Good news Rune. The developers found the bug. It will be fixed in the next release.
        • November 25, 2020
      • X32 Firmware 4.04
        RuneHagen Yes i’ve got a notice from the care portal also!
        • December 2, 2020
  • New
    Hiortintexas
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2020-11-22

I have the X32 Rack new for the church.

Im now trying to set it up for my rather simple setup but I want to make notes as I do ir for busses and sub groups.

Anyone have a routing sheet template that they use that they care to share ?

Thanks

Christer

read more...
    1 327
  • New
    Dango1964
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2020-11-21

I dont have the default password or factory default for the X 18 console by friend bought and I was wondering if anyone had it to help me out so we can actually use the thing, thanks

0 47
    • Dango1964
      Paul_Vannatto Hi Randy, don't bother with the internal wifi. We are all recommending using an external wifi (dual or tri band) router. Switch to ethernet on the console.
      • November 21, 2020
    • Dango1964
      DavidKnighton Hi Randy Harmon,
      On the rear of the X 18 near the REMOTE port is a small reset hole for the network card. Use a paper clip to depress the switch for 2-3 seconds and the network card should reset. Wait a few more seconds and do a power cycle. If you hold the switch for 10 seconds or longer, you will factory reset the entire mixer. Follow the steps in the video link below to gain access again via the ACCESS POINT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CpcZbRrGvk&t=64s
      • November 23, 2020
  • New
    madoues
    Contributor - Level 3
    2020-11-20

Hi,

I own several of the Behringer gear and generally like all of them.

So when I found out about the Flow 8, I was at first almost blown away.

Looks like exactly what I need for one of the groups that I am in.

Then I saw the specs for channel Eq; not good!

Please tell me this is a typo; Lo shelf eq preset at 20Hz and Hi-shelf eq preset at 20Khz!!

Who would use this? I can see 100, 80 or maybe 60 Hz for lows and 8K, 10K or 12Khz for highs, but 20Hz and 20Khz????

Does this make any sense at all?

Sincerely,

Dan

read more...
    0 132
    • madoues
      RexBeckett Hi And, I agree that filters at 20Hz and 20 kHz do not make much sense. I am hoping it is a misprint in the specifications. I shall measure the actual values once I get my unit.
      • November 20, 2020
    • madoues
      madoues Much thanks Rex. I will also wait until you come back with feedback on this after you get your unit. My guess is that it is not 20 and 20Khz, but some other values. If someone from Behringer could chime in would also be a nice way to straighten this out. :)
      • November 20, 2020
    • madoues
      RexBeckett Hi Dan, my Flow 8 finally arrived. The hardware is good but the Android app needs a lot of work. It is usable though. The shelving EQ in the channels does operate at the specified frequencies (20Hz, 20kHz) but, because they have quite shallow slopes, they can be used to shape the bottom and top ends. I have measured the -3dB points for each of the settings.

Low Shelf
      0dB: 18Hz, -3dB: 31.5Hz, -6dB: 100Hz, -9dB: 125Hz, -12dB: 140Hz, -15dB: 180Hz

High Shelf

0dB: >20kHz, -3dB: 20kHz, -6dB: 8kHz, -9dB: 6.3kHz, -12dB: 5.6kHz, -15dB: 5kHz

I think the bottom end of the Low Shelf is affected by the channel's Low Cut filter. This cannot be turned off so is set to the lowest frequency of 20Hz.

Once the Mix app is sorted out, the Flow 8 will be a really good mixer for streaming,, solo performers or small bands.
      • December 18, 2020
    • madoues
      Jerrylee1 Just wondering if any other Flow 8 owners (using iOS app) have found the channel eq (especially the mid and low mid) pretty ineffectual?
      • January 22, 2021
      • Flow 8 channel Eqs?
        Jerrylee1 Oops, that ended too soon! Given that it has an indicated 15db of cut and boost I could hear very little difference on a vocal mic I was testing it with. Btw, I’m a 35 year veteran of sound engineering with several XAir units and A&H Qu series mixers. I’m delighted with the form factor and the mixer in general. For livestream work there’s usually only a little top and tail eq I need, but the mid eqs were virtually useless. Perhaps it’s an app flaw, I know it’s early days. If the eq was more effective I could definitely see lots of use for this little mixer for live work - when it returns!
        • January 22, 2021
      • Flow 8 channel Eqs?
        RexBeckett I'm using the Android Flow Mix app but that should not change how the EQ works. I think the channel EQ does a similar job to that on many small analogue mixers. I do find it rather limited but that may be because I have been spoilt by the parametric EQ on X-Air and X32 consoles.
        • January 22, 2021
      • Flow 8 channel Eqs?
        RexBeckett You may be getting issues with the app. I have found several places in the Android version where settings either do not stick or do not display correctly. I have reported these problems through Technical Support Care tickets.
        • January 22, 2021
    • madoues
      Jerrylee1 Thanks for the reply Rex!
      • January 22, 2021
  • New
    mletalien
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2020-11-20

Hello,

I recently purchased and installed the X- Live expansion card and installed into a the X32 Compact. Seems to be working fine (although I have yet to put it through a 'real world' test). My question is this: to conserve SD card space, I selected 16 channels as the option for recording inputs (as opposed to 32, which given that I don't have a 32 channel board, wouldn't make sense). HOWEVER, I realized that I had a few aux input channels being used, and want to capture them as well. My question is: Is it possible to record aux inputs (I would think it would be) and if so, do you have to select the 32 channel recording option, so you can inclued the aux inputs for recording? Hopefully that question makes sense, and thanks! 

read more...
    0 118
    • mletalien
      RexBeckett Hi Mark, the tracks recorded on the SD card are set on the Routing -> Card tab. Using the User Out patching in console firmware V4.xx, you can select Aux inputs along with other local or AES50 inputs. You would only need to record 32 tracks on the SD if you have more than 16 active channels (normal + Aux).

Let us know if you need help setting this up.
      • November 20, 2020
      • X-Live Question
        mletalien Hi Rex, First off, thanks for the quick reply. So, here is where I am confused, and not sure how configure. What I would like to do is record the first 14 XLR inputs and then aux inputs 1 and 3; however, I cannot see how I could do that given the options in the Routing>Card screen. It seems like users only have the option to select 8 channels from column 1-8 and 8 channels from column 9-16, which would take all 16 channels, not allowing the ability to select the two desired aux inputs without selecting 32 tracks from the SD REcording menu in the SETUP>Card screen. Does that make sense? Thanks for your time! ML
        • November 20, 2020
      • X-Live Question
        mletalien So to make a long story short, I think I will need help doing this....sorry and thanks!! ML
        • November 20, 2020
    • mletalien
      RexBeckett This is where the User patching in firmware V4.xx comes into play. It allows you to circumvent the restrictions of the block-of-eight routing. I have attached screenshots (from X32 Edit) of the patching to achieve what you want. It can also be done directly on the console.The User Out patching creates two eight-channel blocks of signals consisting of local inputs 1-14 , Aux 1 and Aux 3. These blocks are then used in the Routing -> Card tabs.
      • November 20, 2020
      • X-Live Question
        mletalien Thanks Rex! Okay, stupid question: Will doing this in any way affect the output of channels tp the mains? I need to be careful that I am not inadvertently causing an issue come show time. I don't want to any way affect the routing in regards to how the sound is coming from channels to the mains/FOH. Thanks for your help and patience!
        • November 20, 2020
      • X-Live Question
        RexBeckett There are no stupid questions, Mark. Routing in the X32 world can be very confusing. I can assure you that the routing I have suggested will not interfere with the console channel inputs or main outputs. If it would help you to be sure, export your current scene and upload it to a file share site (e.g. Google Drive) and post a sharing link.
        • November 20, 2020
    • mletalien
      mletalien Thanks Rex, here it is! https://www.dropbox.com/s/x4gp0rui8rf9llk/scene1.scn?dl=0 So, speaking of no stupid question :), when you save the routing like you showed me, it is saved per scene? So each scene could have its own level of routing even at that level? Also, as an FYI, based on your instructions, i changed it up a bit.....aux 1 is going to 5 and aux 3 is going to 16....please let me know if you think this is right. Thanks!
      • November 20, 2020
      • X-Live Question
        mletalien Hi Rex, after making the changes, I can see on the board itself that these changes have taken place. Pretty cool. I guess one the things I don't understand, especially looking at this, is how does the board know to send this routing to the card? Should 'Category' have 'Card' selected? Not sure how that works....great board, but LOTS under the hood. Thanks! ML
        • November 20, 2020
    • mletalien
      RexBeckett Hi Mark, I can see from your scene file that you have set up the User Out patching. What you have not done is to route the patched blocks to the Card. On the console, this is done on the Routing -> Card page. Encoder 1 selects the source of Card outputs 1-8 so scroll down and select User Out 1-8. Use encoder 2 to scroll down and select User Out 9-16 for Card outputs 9-16.

All routing is saved in the scenes. As long as your original scene has been saved on the console or exported to a USB stick, you can always reload it if you inadvertently change something that stops it working.

We have not discussed how you are going to use the SD card recordings. Most DAW software can import the files directly from the SD cards. If you want to play the files back through the console, it will require some tricky routing. This is because the Aux channels are not as flexible as the normal ones.
      • November 21, 2020
    • mletalien
      RexBeckett Hi Mark, the attached screenshots (X32 Edit) show how to set the routing to allow the SD recordings to be played back through the console.

I have used the Routing -> User In patching to shift most of the tracks up eight places. The first block is used to position tracks 5 and 16 for use by Aux In Remap which only works on the first block. I have fed track 16 to both sides of the Aux 3/4 pair. The second picture shows how to set Routing -> Inputs (Play) to use this patching.

The console can be configured to switch between Record and Play routing automatically when using SD cards. This is done on the Setup -> Card tab.
      • November 21, 2020
  • New
    DanLibeert
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2020-11-19

Hi there,

Does anywone know how it comes that de usermanual for the X32 does not follow the firmware updfates.

I can't find een actual manual, containing the latest changes on the Music Tribe site!

tia

read more...
    0 54
    • DanLibeert
      Paul_Vannatto The X32 manual hasn't been updated since firmware 2.x. This forum (community) has become the current manual. Anything you need to know, we can answer.
      • November 19, 2020
      • X32
        JeffRusin Evidently one more problem this website has since they changed over Wayback when when it was a beautiful website. I am about ready to sell all this and just get something different
        • November 20, 2020
      • X32
        JeffRusin I also found out there’s no place to tell them about it
        • ·
        • November 20, 2020
      • X32
        Paul_Vannatto I wouldn't sell my X32 stuff, no matter how bad the forum is. Just my 2 nickels. I do agree that we had a great forum a few iterations back and I really miss it. But I'm committed to the X32 community (and X-Air, M-Air and Wing as well).
        • ·
        • November 20, 2020
    • DanLibeert
      JeffRusin Well Paul thanks for your help and I was going to send you a file but what I ended up doing was went to set up and reset my scene data and then immediately after I initialized my console. then I reloaded my scenes and everything works again it’s just a computer probably had a little glitch I guess . I get to keep my stuff after all LOL
      • November 21, 2020
      • X32
        Paul_Vannatto Great to hear that an initialisation reset fixed the issue. Wouldn't it be great if certain political problems could be solved that way? (LOL)
        • November 21, 2020
  • New
    Ronmahreimad
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2020-11-19

I need help!!! I have 2 X32 consoles 1 in the Church and 1 in the media center( another room )  I also have 2 s16 stage boxes and a p16d I'm trying to multitrack from the Media console using MacBook Pro 10.15.xxx and Studio One 3 I've tried everything and console won't record to my laptop funny enough l am able to connect and see Xusb in the daw software but routing seems to be a challenge  please help, I will give more info as needed

read more...
    1 45
    • Ronmahreimad
      DaveMorrison Routing is the most difficult aspect of the X32. The "Routing:Card Out" menu is the place to make the changes. If you want the Church console's signal, then the AES-50 bus needs to be selected. If you upload your scene to Dropbox (or equivalent) we can take a look—just post the link.
      Another thing to check is the Mac's security settings. "Security and Privacy:Microphone" needs to allow sound in for each program that want the signal.
      • November 18, 2020
      • Multitracking
        Ronmahreimad i will upload soon as i get to church Friday morning, Oh, I'm running firmware 4.03 on X32. I wish i had never changed, the old 3.0.X was working fine
        • November 18, 2020
Go to page