• 2020-08-06

Have a question..

I'm trying to remove the USB card on my M32R does anyone know what size and type of screwdriver I will need? Is it Hex or Touque?

Thanks

0 12
    • Matthew Ross
      Paul Vannatto On my X32, its a Philips (star).
      • Aug 6
      • Midas M32R
        Matthew Ross Interesting I tried a star bit and it didn't work
        • Aug 6
    • Matthew Ross
      Gary Higgins M32’s use Torx, can’t remember the size but it’s a common one. EDIT: It’s a T10, I just tried one.
      • Aug 6
    • Matthew Ross
      Dale Minaker Should be a T10 standard across the range, you can always use an allen key as a workaround if you don't have the torx bits.
      • Aug 7
  • 2020-07-23

I want to try using my MR18 as my interface to get audio into Logic Pro X on my MacBook Pro. It's been a while since I recorded anything, and I discovered by accident that my old hardware... a Digidesign 003 Rack and an Avid Eleven Rack... are not recognized by macOS Catalina, and Avid seems to have no intention of fixing it. I mention that for the benefit of others who may have that hardware, and have been scratching their heads wondering why they no longer work.

Anyway, does anyone have any advice about getting the MR18 up and running with Logic? My MBP sees the MR18 as the input and output device (whereas it no longer sees the 003 or Eleven). Is the MR18 completely controlled by Logic; i.e., are its settings in the M-Air-Edit app completely transparent when using it as in interface for Logic? So, for instance... gain, EQ, faders, whatever... anything I may have set in the M-Air app... are all those settings still in place when I use the MR18 to get into Logic? Is there anything I have to do in M-Air-Edit to turn 100% control over to Logic? Thanks much...

read more
    0 13
    • David Stackhouse
      Rex Beckett The only way for Logic to control the MR18 is via Midi. Normally you would configure and control the MR18 using the MAir Edit app. Logic would see it as an eighteen channel bidirectional audio interface. By default, the MR18 USB Sends would come directly from the preamps so would not be affected by EQ, faders, etc. You can change this, of course,
      • Jul 23
    • David Stackhouse
      Dave Morrison You can control a few parameters via MIDI. If you want channel levels, pans, or scene recalls, Logic can do it. In the studio, I don't. Live, it's handy to have Logic bump up channels levels for solos. I prefer to use a mixer in the studio rather than (or in addition to) an audio interface because I don't get any latency in my monitoring path—the mixer handles that.
      • Jul 23
      • MR18 with Logic Pro X (b/c 003 Rack and Eleven are no longer supported in Catalina)
        David Stackhouse Great tips, Dave... thanks for your input!
        • Jul 24
  • 2020-07-23

Hi, i'd like to know if my X touch controlling the mr18 can be sync with a screen with m air and follow my actions. For ex. If i go to the eq. section with the controller the eq should appear also on the screen not only on the controller lcd

0 18
    • Simone Molla
      Rex Beckett Individual controls will be reflect changes but MAir Edit will not switch screens/tabs as a result of X-Touch operations.
      • Jul 23
    • Simone Molla
      Bart Van Damme There is a solution for this problem. See this video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MuNb3Zs19Cw Originally designed for Raspberry Pi, but works on Mac and Windows also. More info on www.lumisoft.be
      • Jul 23
      • Sync with xtouch
        Luuk van Kuipers Hi Bart, does it work both ways? When I change the settings on the pc, will the X-touch follows??
        • Jul 26
      • Sync with xtouch
        Bart Van Damme It depends on what settings. e.g. if you change a fader level, the corresponding fader on the X-Touch will move.But if you click on the eq tab in X-Air-Edit, the X-Touch will not jump to the eq section.
        What my program does is capture the communication from the X-Touch to the Mixer and when it discovers something that should imply a screen change, it simulates a mouseclick.
        • Jul 26
  • 2020-07-23

Hello... it's been a while since I've been in this forum, and obviously there have been some changes. A while back, as in, maybe a couple of years ago, I posted some questions/started some discussions, and the info contained in those threads was of great value to me. Are all those old discussions lost??? I checked my profile and tried searching for them but to no avail! Can anyone tell me how to find or retrieve them? Thanks!!

read more
    0 10
    • David Stackhouse
      Paul Vannatto Hi David,

Welcome back. They have changed the forum engine once again and have promised to port over all of the past posts (eventually). So far most of my posts have either not been ported or the search engine doesn't work (or a combination of both). So I feel the same pain...
      • Jul 22
      • Discussions disappeared
        David Stackhouse Thanks, Paul... I remember you being very helpful at the time... much appreciated. Sounds like this hurts you a LOT more than it does me... I hope they get it done soon. It had been a while since I used my MR18 and one thing I forgot is that there's a TERRIBLE idiotic glitch in the unit where, by default, it does a LOUD power cycle on startup... scared the living crap out of me and my son!
        • Jul 22
        Paul Vannatto That doesn't sound good. There is a "Mute output at power cycle" setting in the Setup, Audio/Midi screen. Try that. It will mean that you will have to unmute after it is on.
        • ·
        • Jul 22
        David Stackhouse Thanks, Paul... yes, I remembered that feature and activated it afterwards. I had initialized the unit prior, which reset that feature to its unmuted default setting, and when the sound sent me almost sent me an my kid through our ceiling I cursed myself for forgetting about it. I don't understand why it's necessary... it's the only mixer I've ever encountered that does it.
        • Jul 23
    • David Stackhouse
      David Knighton Hello David. As is common practice with most PA systems, always allow your console a chance to boot before powering your amps/loudspeakers in order to avoid pops, or in the case of the MR18, a loud laser beam effect.
      • Jul 23
        David Stackhouse David, thank you for your reply. I don't want to seem ungrateful or argumentative, but I've operated PA systems for 40 years, and worked with dozens of consoles, and this is the first and only mixer I've ever used that makes such a sound.
        • Jul 23
        Paul Vannatto Hey David, just a thought. Check your FX returns to make sure you are not sending back to the FX buses, creating a loop (which is easy to do by accident). That might be a source of the loud noise.
        • Jul 23
        David Stackhouse And a good thought, but no, that's not it... the noise was definitely the power cycle. It happens within, what, maybe the first 10 seconds after I power up the MR18. It lasts for a split second, sounds like a laser blast, and it's LOUD as hell, and then it's over.
        • Jul 23
        - mjk - Great point.
        • Jul 23
  • 2020-07-21

I think most mixers allow you to mute a channel in an Aux bus independent of the main mix.  The MR18 seems to have it's mutes coupled together.  When the mute button is used in either the main or aux busses (with the exception of the master slider of either), it carries that change through all of the buses.  Is there anyway to decouple this feature and have independent control of the mute function?  I understand that muting on the main mix layer should carry through to all aux mixes.  But sometimes, we need to mute a channel on an aux bus without having it mute the same channel on the main bus.  Suggestions? Thanks!

read more
    0 5
    • KarlMarz
      Paul Vannatto No, there is no way of "decoupling" the mute feature. But there is a workaround. Assign a DCA to the various channels and mute the DCA. As long as the channel sends (to buses) taps are not post fader or subgroup, the DCA mutes will not affect the sends to the buses.
      • Jul 21
  • 2020-07-19
    Our M32 mixer suddenly started producing loud interference noise through the mains and the signal metering lights on channels 9-16 shot up to clipping. We pulled the mains down to save our ears. This lasted for about 20-30 seconds, gradually decreasing in volume after about 15-20 seconds. After this, channels 9-16 were not indicating signal from the band. The instrument playing when it happen was the keyboard. Note: I can route the signal coming into the local inputs 25-32 to channels 9-16 and everything works fine as far as the channels go. However, when I route the signal coming into local inputs 9-16 to channels 25-32 I get nothing. Any thoughts, suggestions...
    read more
    0 8
    • James Chavis
      Craig Fowler The preamps on the rear of the console are on PCBs of 8. It sounds like there's a hardware issue with the one that does preamps9-16. It could be a loose internal cable, it could be that something is fried. (Unplug any mics first,) and go into the setup>preamps page and see if you can enable +48v on each of those preamps, and see if the red LEDs on the rear of the console illuminate. Try plugging in active DIs into each of the preamps and see if the DI indicates it's receiving +48V. If neither of those things works it's pretty much confirmed a hardware issue.
      • Jul 18
    • James Chavis
      Nigel Turner As Craig has mentioned above, it is probably a hardware issue. If none of the 8 inputs are working, one of the rails has possibly failed on that input card. I think that your best option would be to go to the support tab at the top of the page and submit a ticket and we will be able to help you further.
      • Jul 19
      • M32 channels 9-16 not working
        James Chavis Thank you. I submitted a ticket.
        • ·
        • Jul 20
  • 2020-07-16
    is it possible to save the setup and channel settings directly on the internal memory of the MR18 or do I always have to save them on a remote device
    0 8
    • freekings
      Dale Minaker if you are talking about custom layers, then this data is only stored on the remote device.
      • Jul 16
      • MR 18
        freekings Yes i'm talking about self arranged scenes in the practice room and live-stages. Thanks for the Answer Dale
        • ·
        • Jul 16
      • MR 18
        Rex Beckett You can save the scene settings on the MR18 as Snapshots. These are stored in internal memeory so can be recalled by any control device (tablet, phone, PC) with one of the XAir apps. When the mixer is turned on, it will have the same settings as when powered off - provided the Setup -> Audio/Midi -> Safe Levels option is off.
        • ·
        • Jul 16
      • MR 18
        freekings ah ok with Snapshots. Just one Scene or more scenes and the all the single channels as well? thank you Rex
        • Jul 16
      • MR 18
        Rex Beckett You can save upto 64 Snapshots in the mixer. A Snapshot stores all the same settings as a Scene. You can apply optional filters to limit the scope of Snapshot recall to specified channels, buses and parameters. The recall filter settings are stored with each Snapshot and can be changed as required. The filter only affects Snapshot recall - each Snapshot stores all non-global mixer settings.
        • ·
        • Jul 16
      • MR 18
        freekings got it ! Thank you Rex
        • Jul 16
    • freekings
      Dale Minaker No problem, if you want a console that can recall scenes/shows etc, it needs a navigatable window and jog wheel at the least which means more cost, the MR18/X18 are a compromise and it is reflected in their price hence why you always need a tablet with the MAIR app to do the business end of the operation, I hope this helps.
      • Jul 16
      • MR 18
        freekings Ok thanks. I thought the MR18 might have some internal memory for that kind of stuff. but in that case it will just save the last used scene on reboot. all right. I always make backups on my MAC Book via RJ-45 interface. I just thought of a situation where maybe a new FOH guy mixes us up and he can just call up the saved scenes on the MR18. OTHER QUESTION: Do you know if I can record on an iPad with Garageband as easily as I can on the MAC Book via USB. 18 channels in? is there an extra adapter from USB to lightning with additional power supply?
        • ·
        • Jul 16
      • MR 18
        Dale Minaker Sorry missed this new question at the bottom. There is an interesting feed on Reddit regarding this where someone has had success doing it however we are unsure how many channels garageband will allow (you need to contact them) but we know it works wth Auria. I hope this helps. https://www.reddit.com/r/livesound/comments/dukclp/behringer_xr18_and_ipad/
        • Aug 6
  • 2020-07-13
    I want to create a snippet that just saves mute group settings and it doesn't seem like that is possible. I don't want to select individual channels because the MUTE settings, although changed by the snippet, don't update the mute group status. This is very annoying because I want to set up a snippet to change my sub woofer send level, change my multiband compressor threshold and change the status of two mute groups. The sub woofer send level and multiband compressor threshold is easy enough to get it to work but where are the mute group statuses recorded in a snippet?
    read more
    0 20
    • Waldy Duester
      Rex Beckett The OSC command for Mute Group status is /config/mute/n state where n is the group (1..6) and state is ON or OFF. ON means that the group is muted. e.g.

/config/mute/1 ON
      /config/mute/6 OFF
      • Jul 13
    • Waldy Duester
      Waldy Duester Thanks Rex. I was more interested as to which of the snippet selection prameters the mute group status lives under. Here is a screen shot from m32 edit.
      • Jul 13
      • Midas M32 - Where are the mute group settings 'stored' in a snippet?
        Paul Vannatto Actually they are selected using the Groups Param. Filter. But that also includes the DCAs as well. If you need just mute groups, you will need to edit the snippet file (exported) with a text editor (as Rex suggested) to remove the unwanted DCA's, then import that modifed scene file back into the snippet list. The advantage of using Scene Parser is that a scene can be exported to a file, loaded into Scene Parser, parsed with desired filters, then fine tuned in the Results editor to make the snippet do exactly what you want, no more, no less.
        • ·
        • Jul 13
        Waldy Duester Thanks Paul. When I tried using the Groups Param Filter in the snippet, the mute groups did not respond at all. I will explore editing the snippet file in a text editor.
        • Jul 13
    • Waldy Duester
      Rex Beckett I have never found a combination of Snippet filters that captures the Mute Group status. I just add the OSC commands to Snippets using a text editor. Alternatively, you could use Paul Vannatto's X32 Scene Parser to build Snippets from Scenes. See: https://sourceforge.net/projects/x32sceneparser/ The problem with this approach is that the Mute Group status in Scene files is a block command for all six groups rather than a command for each one.
      • Jul 13
        Waldy Duester Just out of curiosity, what other software tools do you guys use to help automate things on the m32 or m32 edit? I find that the platform is lacking in the ability to create macro's to help automate things. I've experimented with xfade (for automating fade outs and fade in of channels) but I haven't found anything that can tie all the 'needs' together: Needs being -smooth fade in/fade out, mute group activation/deactivation, fader position on certain channels, start recording, stop recording etc .... The m32 is a nice piece of kit but is still lacking for automated show control.
        • Jul 13
        Rex Beckett Take a look at some of Patrick Maillot's X32 tools here: https://sites.google.com/site/patrickmaillot/x32 Paul also has created several excellent tools. See: https://sourceforge.net/u/pvannatto/profile/
        • Jul 13
        Paul Vannatto Hi Waldy, as Rex mentioned Patrick has lots of various tools that he has developed for the X32/M32 consoles. He also wrote the X32 OSC Protocol document that has become the developers OSC bible. One thing to note is that the OSC protocol (mother tongue of the X32/M32) uses absolute values and is not time related. Therefore scenes and snippets are point-in-time absolute settings of the console. I developed Live Toolbox to enhance the capabilities of snippets in a new snippet-like function called tidbits (snippets on steroids). These include time-based commands such as fade, xfade, etc. and relative commands such as increase, decrease, etc.
        • Jul 13
        - mjk - I use X32ReaperAutoMate for mixing with full automation. It's Patrick's latest creation. https://x32ram.com/
        • Jul 14
    • Waldy Duester
      Waldy Duester Thanks Rex and Paul. I have not explored editing snippet files in a text editor.
      • Jul 13
  • 2020-07-10
    Hey guys! Anyone have a clue when Midas is going to release compatible offline editors on the PRO series for macOS Catalina? I've got some shows coming in a while and i can't create my show files. Thanks!
    0 15
    • GeorgeKoleve
      Dale Minaker I am afraid there are no plans to create OLE for catalina as it is 64bit
      • Jul 10
    • GeorgeKoleve
      GeorgeKoleve It is a bit odd to have OLE for M32 and X32 but not for the PRO series... I can't understand it. Is there any good reason not to do it???
      • Jul 10
    • GeorgeKoleve
      Dale Minaker The M32 edit and Offline editor are for two very different software platforms and are not related to each other. The PRO series OLE was built on 32bit and would require as massive resource to rebuild to be usable on 64bit.
      • Jul 10
    • GeorgeKoleve
      GeorgeKoleve Ok understood! But come on.. It's 2020.. And this is a product for professional use. They must have our backs covered at anytime. Anyway i emailed them and i hope they answer and better off i hope they come up with a solution. Frankly i really like the pro series console due to ease of use and in terms of sound quality. But not being able to create my file pre show is quite a problem for me. Hope they make it!
      • Jul 10
    • GeorgeKoleve
      George Dougherty Could you run parallels and the Windows editor?
      • Jul 27
  • 2020-07-09
    Few months ago i buy a mixer from someone on ebay, he state that the board was a unit return from midas, i use it on my home studio and wasworkinggreat but 3 weeks after start to have some problems, suddenly start to make a pop sound and all the input meters star to go crazy and all the. Output reproduce the same pop sound even after disconnecting everything from the board, i have to turn off to make the problem go away but after couple times is just making the sound. Does anyone having this problem.
    read more
    0 17
    • Manuel Pineda
      Manuel Pineda I get the board from individual seller on ebay, what i notice is that the box have a rma number on it wich tell me that the board was send out sometime before. I took the board to a local service center and they is a psu problem but they have that board for a almost 2 months now and still waiting from them to call me back.
      • Jul 9
    • Manuel Pineda
      David Knighton Hi Manuel. I would recommend retrieving the console from the 3rd party service center and sending to Music Tribe Las Vegas for service. They will be able to turn your repair around within a week or two. The only caveat is that the console was purchased 2nd hand, so there is no warranty. You can still have the console repaired, but they will assess a fee. You'll want to navigate to the support tab on the community page and submit a request for service. Someone should be able to get you an RMA.
      • Jul 9
    • Manuel Pineda
      David Knighton Hello Manual. If the PSU is dropping out, then it will cause pops. There could be an issue with the input board as well. Did you buy the console from MusicFactoryStore or Music Tribe US eBay store?
      • Jul 9