Statistics

207,634 members
79,731 posts
  • OhG
    Contributor - Level 2
    2020-09-08

Hi All,

My band uses the X32 rack and we record the audio of our gigs directly to the USB on a regular basis.  The issue we've having is that in all of the recordings, the bass guitar is WAY too low in the mix and is barely audible.  This is depsite the fact that none of us use amps on stage and we all (including the bass) run direct to the board and use in-ears.  The mix and volume of the bass out front is perfect.  I'm guessing the bass gets help out front due to the 4 large bass bins.

My question is, is there any way that we can turn the bass up in the recordings to the USB stick, without turning it up in the mains?

read more...
    0 49
    • OhG
      Paul_Vannatto If your gains and routing are setup correctly, you shouldn't be having an issue as you described. I would suggest you export your scene to a file and upload it to the cloud (Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.) and include the link in your post. That way we can have a look and better advise.
      • September 8, 2020
      • Need help with how to record from X32 Rack Version to USB
        OhG Thank you Paul. Here is the link to the .scn file. As I mentioned, everything sounds great out front. And in our in-ears, they sound great (because we can adjust as needed). So if there is a way to bring the bass guitar up more in the recording while not increasing the volume out front, that'd be awesome! https://www.dropbox.com/s/cd5ov4uw5a80cbg/STUPID%20TEMPLATE.scn?dl=0
        • September 8, 2020
        Paul_Vannatto Hi Todd, I had a quick look at the scene and the routing is fine. I did notice that the Bass sends to your IEM's are fairly high. But the gain of that channel is also relatively high for a direct input. Are you using a DI on the Bass? If so, check to see if there is a pad enabled (eg. 20 db) on the DI. Also I would drop the Bass sends to the IEM and to the Main and adjust the gain (if there is no pad enabled on a DI).

Are you recording to a DAW (on a computer) or do you have the X-Live card and recording to an SD card?
        • September 8, 2020
        Paul_Vannatto Hey Todd, I just noticed the Bass EQ, with a significant boost at 1K and above, and the low cut is at 79. Is the bass player playing it as a regular lead guitar? If not, you maybe missing a lot of the bottom end of the instrument.
        • September 8, 2020
        OhG Thanks for all of that info Paul. Our bassist is plugging in to a few pedals and a Voice Live pedal. I don't believe he is using any sort of pad. So I'm going to start with your recommendation of increasing the gain and then bringing down the mains and IEM. So does that mean that the main fader for his channel is AFTER the recording device and the gains are before? We're just recording directly to a USB stick plugged into the front of the X32 rack console.

I'll also take a look at the EQ. Something must have been overlooked on our part because he's playing it like a standard bass, and you're right, we wouldn't want that many frequencies cut out.
        • September 8, 2020
    • OhG
      DavidKnighton Hello Todd West,
      What you'll want to do here is set a stereo mix bus to the recorder, rather than the main LR. The advantage here, is that you can cue up the stereo mix buss in your headphones and mix it to where it sounds relatively decent. The venue you're playing probably has a lot of 'low end' support, which is why it sounds perfect in the FOH mix, but when you take the recording elsewhere, you're all the sudden out of firepower. Better yet, use the on board USB interface and record all tracks separately and mix post to get that rich fine tuned effect.
      • September 8, 2020
        OhG Hi David,
        That sounds EXACTLY what I'd like to accomplish. I tried to find this in the manual and didn't really understand it. Would you be able to explain how I'd go about setting this up (preferably in ultra-dumbed down instructions since my level of knowledge with these things is very low). Thank you so much!!
        • September 11, 2020
    • OhG
      OhG How do I set and monitor the stereo mix bus to the recorder? I’m assuming that’s an option in the USB recording window. But how do I monitor it using a mix bus and headphones as mentioned above?
      • September 17, 2020
        Paul_Vannatto To monitor a mixbus (with headphones), solo the mixbus master channel
        • September 17, 2020
        OhG Hi Paul, I'm still struggling with something here. I've uploaded 3 photos to try and help. The first photo shows the front of our X32 rack with the USB drive recording window configuration tab open. Which settings should I use on this? I'm assuming the category would be "Mix Bus" but I'm not sure about the signal source and tap. Two of the photos shown here are the current Bus view from the X32 app on my iPad. The first shows the 4 different band members' stereo in-ear mixes which are all under the "Bus 1-8" tab in the app. The second one says "Bus 9-16" and on channels 9-12, they each say MixBus.

So I'm confused on 2 things here. How do I need to configure this so that we can send a stereo mix to the USB stick in the USB drive for recording? And second, how would I adjust the mix for this without adjusting the overall mix in the mains? Ultimately, we just want to be able to record to a USB stick and adjust the mix either before the recording, or using separate tracks after the recording, all without affecting the mix that is coming out of the mains.

If this would be something that would be easier for you to explain via a Zoom call or something like that, I'd be happy to set that up so that I could show you the board and settings. I'd be willing to Venmo you a little cash on the side as well for all your help.
        • September 18, 2020
    • OhG
      OhG Never mind. I figured it out. It’s the exact same thing as setting up an in-ear mix except I’m just telling the recorder to record that mix instead of the mains.

I’m so dumb!
      • September 18, 2020
        Paul_Vannatto Glad to hear that you figured it out Todd
        • September 18, 2020
        OhG Well, I thought I did. But something doesn't sound right. We recorded a bit tonight and for some reason, the guitar sounds almost like it's out of phase a bit. And the drums have half of the kit; snare and some toms on one side of the wav file and the kick and other drums are on the other side of the wav). Wondering if this would be corrected by just using a single Mix Bus channel instead of linking them in stereo. I'll have to check tomorrow, but I don't think I remember having the drums panned (at least not the kick and snare). They certainly shouldn't be panned. And I'm not sure why the guitar would sound out of phase or kind of have a metallic sounding reverb around it. In the mains and in our stereo in-ear mixes, it all sounds great. So I clearly didn't do something right in this Mix Bus for the recorder.
        • September 18, 2020
        DavidKnighton Hi Todd,
        I sent you an email out of our CRM to give you some pointers. Too much for a single forum post here. As for the panning issue, remember that for a stereo bus, send 1 is the master send and send 2 is the pan/balance. There's also a setting in the channel SENDS tab to have the bus panning follow the main stereo mix pan. I.e. if the hi-hat is panned far right in the main mix, it will also be panned far right in the stereo mix bus.

EDIT: the panning follow main LR is in the SENDS tab, not the SETUP menu. My mistake.
        • September 18, 2020
        OhG Thank you for the email David. I received it and will try some of those tips later today to see if it helps. I understand a lot of the concepts you're talking about; I think my issue is I'm just not sure exactly HOW to get it all set up (e.g. what buttons to push, etc.). I'm working through it. Right now, I have Mix Bus 9 & 10 linked, with 9 panned all the way to the left and 10 all the way to the right (9 is linked to the Main front left outs and 10 is to the right). Truthfully, the mix doesn't even NEED to be stereo (although it's preferred). The only thing we're using these recordings for is to listen back to our performances and hear where we made mistakes. So sending the tracks to different tracks in my DAW isn't necessary right now.

In the main mix, my guitar is run in stereo with linked channels 5 & 6. Channel 5 is panned hard left and 6 to the right. But the guitar is barely audible in the recorded mix and is sounding out of phase. So I'm thinking it has to be a pan setting. The vocals and bass which aren't panned, come through on both sides of the WAV file just fine and sound as they should.

I'll take another look and see if I can apply some of the tips you mentioned today. It's weird because when I have the recorder set up to just record the mains, all the instruments sound absolutely perfect. The only issue is that we didn't have a great mix (bass guitar too low).
        • September 19, 2020
        OhG Hi David,
        I'm still not doing something right. I checked all the channels on my x32 and the only channels that are panned at all are my 2 guitar channels. They're hooked up in stereo and are linked on channels 5 & 6 with each panned hard left and right. So I'm not sure why the guitar is sounding thin and only coming out of the left channel, and things like the snare or kick are also only coming out of one channel when they're not panned at all.

I've attached some photos of my settings on the x32 iPad app. Can you please tell me what I'm doing wrong here? If you click on the photos, I've made a comment in each photo giving you a description of what you're looking at to make it easier.
        • September 19, 2020
    • OhG
      DavidKnighton Hi Todd,
      Not sure what to make of all that because the iPad app doesn't show much of what's going on. If you could export your scene and email it back to me, I can investigate on my computer/console to see what's what. Just send an email reply to that message I sent you with the scene attached.
      • September 21, 2020
        Paul_Vannatto I would agree with David that the best way to troubleshoot your issue is by having a look at your scene file. You will need to export the scene (to a file) either by using the Utility button on the console (to a USB stick) or using X32-Edit.
        • September 21, 2020
        OhG Hi David & Paul, here is a link to the .scn file. At this point, if either of you are able to set it up so that everything is being sent to the MixBus properly, I'd be thrilled. I can't figure it out why the guitar sounds so weak and certain things (like some drums or guitar) are panned to one side of the wav file. https://www.dropbox.com/s/4b8q02hbwpt55ep/STUPID%20TEMPLATE.scn?dl=0
        • September 21, 2020
        Paul_Vannatto Try this scene. The USB recorder source was tapped post-EQ when it should be post-fader (to the mixbus master fader). The Kick and Snare was sent to the mixbus 9/10 panned hard left and right (respectively). Since everything else was down the middle, I changed the kick and snare the same. And I adjusted a few of the levels. Here is the link
        https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ql_T18Uz1MdBdAUqYAl_BWfgNd0VwSlF/view?usp=sharing
        • September 23, 2020
        OhG Thanks Paul. I’ll download this and give it a try tomorrow. What’s really weird is that tonight during practice, I made one single change to the original template. I changed the recorder’s source from MixBus 9 and MixBus 10, to record instead from MixBus 1 & 2. For some reason, everything sounded absolutely perfect there in terms of things being planned correctly and the guitar not sounding out of phase. So I went through all the settings on MixBus 9 & 10 and made sure they were all identical and the recording then again still produced things being panned.

Where do I go to see where things were panned as you had mentioned? I looked at the drum channels and it looked to me like they were both right down the center (no panning). From what I was able to find, the only thing that had any panning was the guitar. So I’m wondering if there is another place that has panning options and I just missed it.

I wish there was an easy way to just copy my MixBus 1 & 2 settings and paste them into MixBus 9 & 10.

I’ll let you know how the scene works out. Thank you! I really appreciate your help!
        • September 24, 2020
        OhG Hi Paul, I think this is working now. Thank you so much!
        • September 25, 2020
  • fraticen
    Contributor - Level 1
    2020-09-08

Will there be an avilable PC software for the Behringer Wing?

0 39
    • fraticen
      GaryHiggins Mixing Station, wing version for PC is available. Works very well, costs a few dollars but worth it. If you mean a Wing-Edit version like M32-Edit, I can only hope as it has been my favorite for a while for X/M32.
      • September 8, 2020
    • fraticen
      Paul_Vannatto I have just released a Wing version of Live Toolbox (https://sourceforge.net/projects/wing-live-toolbox/) as well as an update of SysexOscGen (https://sourceforge.net/projects/sysexoscgen/) to include the Wing. Now that the OSC server has been included in the latest firmware (1.08) I would think that there will be more software coming for the Wing.
      • September 8, 2020
      • Behringer Wing
        GaryHiggins Thanks for your continued and always sterling efforts! I often wonder where we might be in the X/M32/Wing evolution without you and Patrick (and a few others) helping to forge the way.
        • ·
        • September 8, 2020
    • fraticen
      PatrickGMaillot I'm starting to add (slowly, when time permits) to WING with OSC doc and simple programs. (see: https://sites.google.com/site/patrickmaillot/wing). For those who have used x32_command, there's wosc , the equivalent for WING. A few wapi programs are also available along with the WING API.
      • September 14, 2020
  • GordonWaugh
    Contributor - Level 2
    2020-09-07

I want to tap an input channel post-dynamics pre-EQ for the Send to a monitor bus. Based on the diagram on the mixer screen, it looks like that's not possible. Is that correct?

I record the weekly church service using a USB stick in the X32's built in USB recorder. The recorder's input is monitor Bus 9. I send the Bus 9 signal to Matrix 1 which is mapped to Analog Output 1 which goes to a computer to live stream to the internet.

I use a lot of EQ and Compression (dynamics) for the pastor's mic input channel. The compression is needed because the pastor's speaking volume varies widely--about 35 db--from a whisper to a shout. Because the pastor's mic is in front of the speakers, the EQ has narrow but large notches to eliminate feedback. Therefore, I would rather bypass the EQ, but keep the compression, for the signal that goes to the recording and live streaming.

Some of the options for the signal tap location for the SEND bus  from the pastor's mic input channel are Pre-EQ and Post-EQ. By default, Dynamics follows EQ. In that case, Pre-EQ goes before the EQ and dynamics. If I swap the order so that Dynamics precedes EQ, then Pre-EQ goes before both the dynamics and EQ and post-EQ goes after both the dynamics and EQ. Unfortunatel, I want the tap location to be after the dynamics but before the EQ. 

Therefore, it looks like I have to compromise. I can put the tap location either before or after both the dynamics and EQ. Is that correct?

Of course, I could ask the speaker to use a much narrower dynamic range when he speaks, but I don't want to cramp his style.

By the way, I put a limiter on the matrix 1 output (i.e., to the live stream) to ensure the audio signal to the computer won't cause clipping. 

read more...
    0 18
    • GordonWaugh
      Paul_Vannatto Hi Gordon, do you have a spare channel strip? If so, assign the Pastor's mic to it's source, unable the Main LR, adjust the compressor as desired for the recording, leave the EQ flat and send that channel to bus 9, instead of the other channel strip.
      • September 6, 2020
      • Signal tap Post-Dynamics pre-EQ send to monitor bus
        LarsDamkjaer Paul - Have you seen my question about "control the level for our subwoofers with the M/C fader in the "matrix main C" section." further down (2020-09-06) and can you maybe help? I attached the scene in the discussion
        • September 7, 2020
        Paul_Vannatto Hi Lars, I'm looking at it right now
        • September 7, 2020
        LarsDamkjaer Thx Paul. It is not urgent - just wondered if you had seen my request :-)
        • September 7, 2020
    • GordonWaugh
      GordonWaugh Brilliant! Yes, I have plenty of spare input channels.
      • September 6, 2020
  • LRCOGSOUND
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2020-09-07

I updated my firmware to my Behringer X32 and the board came up blank after rebooting. Are the scenes earsed. Very new to this board.

0 12
    • LRCOGSOUND
      Paul_Vannatto What firmware did you go from and to? If you had 2.x or 3.x and upgraded to 4.x, the scenes are erased by the new firmware
      • September 6, 2020
    • LRCOGSOUND
      LRCOGSOUND Had 2.x and went to 4.x. Looks like a reconfigure
      • September 6, 2020
      • Are your scenes erased if you update Firmware? Behringer X32
        Paul_Vannatto Yes, we've been warning everyone to backup their scenes, snippets and library presets when updating to 4.x
        • September 6, 2020
  • bjamestx
    Contributor - Level 1
    2020-09-06

Behringer of course offer the S32 and DL32 series stage boxes that can be added to the Wing to increase the number of analog inputs, however, they come with mic preamps.  I don't have the need for mic preamps in an extension box because I'd be running only line level signals into it from synths.  Does anyone have suggestions for extension boxes for line level signals that would be compatible with the Wing?  Or experience in running synth line level signals into the S or DL series stage box preamps, and whether they add anything to their sound quality?  Thanks.

read more...
    0 13
    • bjamestx
      Paul_Vannatto I would suggest either the SD8 or SD16 stagebox. I have both and use them with keys, guitars, etc without issue.
      • September 6, 2020
    • bjamestx
      LarsDamkjaer We also use SD8's and a SD16. They work perfectly
      • September 7, 2020
      • Suggestions for line level input extension boxes for the Wing?
        bjamestx Thanks, Paul and and Lars. That’ll likely be what I use (2 x SD16s). Has anyone used the DL32 with synth signals and seen any benefit in going through its MIDAS preamps?
        • September 7, 2020
  • 12Indeed
    Newcomer - Level 2
    2020-09-06

How do I record an instrumental? Then go back and lay the vocals for verses and choruses on individual tracks, on a Midas M32, for one song without using a DAW?

0 20
    • 12Indeed
      Paul_Vannatto Why aren't you using a DAW? What you want to do is the purpose of a DAW.
      • September 6, 2020
      • How to record songs on an Midas M32 in the studio, without a DAW?
        12Indeed Well I just spent thousands of dollars on equipment and accessories and my last recorder(Tascam 2488) allowed me to record and mix so I assumed this would provide me with the same capabilities. Besides, spending an extra grand or 2 for a Mac or PC will set me back in recording.
        • September 8, 2020
      • How to record songs on an Midas M32 in the studio, without a DAW?
        Paul_Vannatto Different designs of consoles (Tascam and M32). The M32 is a live console that has a 32/32 USB interface for DAW processing. You can change the DN32-USB card with the newer DN32-Live card that allows recording to 1 or 2 SD cards. But it does not have takes, punch-in etc. that a full-fledge DAW provides. I'm not sure why it would cost so much to implement a DAW. I paid $150 for a used commercial grade HP laptop and use Reaper ($60 for 2 major updates) and have produced 2 CD's for a local group, and had no issues.
        • September 8, 2020
  • kevinsiegel
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2020-09-05

Hey guys, 

i have a problem with phones, monitor and talkback on my x32 compact. These functions are not working.

On phones and monitor there is no output signal, and on talkback there is no input signal shown.

I tried everything on settings and routing out, but nothing worked. I don't know if thats a hardware or software issue. Anybody with the same struggles?

Thanks a lot!!

read more...
    0 22
    • kevinsiegel
      Paul_Vannatto If by "phones" you mean headphones plugged into the headphone jack on the side of the console, it gets its signal from the monitor bus. Do you have the phones level turned up (top section)? What is assigned to the monitor source, or is it muted (press View button of the Phones section)? For the talkback, do you have a dynamic mic plugged into the Talkback XLR on the back of the console? Is the Talkback level up?
      • September 5, 2020
    • kevinsiegel
      kevinsiegel Yes i mean headphones. Of course, i turned up the phones level. And nothing is muted.
      For the talkback, i tried the integrated mic, but also plugged in a dynamic mic. Level is up
      • September 7, 2020
      • X32 Compact Phones, Monitor, Talkback don't work
        Paul_Vannatto OK for the headphones, what is assigned as the default source? Is it muted?
        For talkback, what are assigned as outputs? As far as I know the Compact does not have an integrated mic (only the full console). Are the respective talkback buttons set to latch or momentary?
        • September 7, 2020
  • MikeDrennan
    Contributor - Level 3
    2020-09-05

Has anyone successfully done this?  I recorded some multi tracks with my band to the Wing live card.  Playback was as expected in the Wing.  I wanted to pull them into a DAW for mixing, so I popped the card into my laptop.  I was confused by the file system.  A single .wav file per folder or session, averaging 2GB in size.  When I preview the file, it's only drums, kick on the left and snare on the right.  How do I access the multi tracks?

read more...
    0 20
    • MikeDrennan
      Paul_Vannatto Hi Mike, most modern DAW's (including Reaper, Audacity) can explode multi-track wav files to the individual tracks. Another option is to use Patrick's X32XLive_Wav app (found here https://sites.google.com/site/patrickmaillot/x32#h.p_xqsqjMb-o-3m).
      • September 4, 2020
      • Pulling Multitrack Wavs off of the Wing Live card
        MikeDrennan Paul, thank you so much. It’s always a coin flip whether you or Gary Higgins will answer my question first!
        • September 4, 2020
      • Pulling Multitrack Wavs off of the Wing Live card
        MikeDrennan Hmm...appears no such luck in Ableton Live. I guess I'll try Patrick's route.
        • September 4, 2020
    • MikeDrennan
      Indiana Yeah I drag the single file into Reaper and then expand it into the individual tracks. Only weird part is the wing creates a new WAV file like every 14 mins.
      • September 8, 2020
  • Spanky55
    Contributor - Level 1
    2020-09-04

I guess I missed a day in X Air School,  How can additional FX and signal processors be added to my X18 Air.

Thank you 

Scott C. Dyar

[email protected]

0 8
    • Spanky55
      Paul_Vannatto If you are asking about plugin type FX/processors, that is not possible. If you are asking how to use external FX/processor unit, you could setup a mixbus to feed the external unit, then return to the Line in stereo inputs.
      • September 4, 2020
  • maryjoan77
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2020-09-04

Hello, 

I am using the Behringer XENYX Q502USB mixer to feed into an internet radio station and Zoom.  Can you provide a detailed description of the COMP 1 dial; i.e. what exactly it does COMP 1 do to the signal and what the segments on dial represent?  What does the red light indicator mean.  How much or how long is it "okay" for it to be on (or flash). 

Thank you

read more...
    0 41
    • maryjoan77
      Nigel67 This is a very basic compressor. It is used to reduce the dynamic range, i.e between the softest and loudest range. It controls the loudest levels and makes the overall sound if used correctly more 'comfortable' to listen to. In this case, the loudest parts of the signal are attenuated downwards starting with the peaks. The red light will mean that some compression is going on. Intermittant flashes will mean that some compression is happening but permanent on and you are probably using to much compression and the audio may sound a little dull. A good write up is at this link
      https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/compression-made-easy
      • September 9, 2020
Go to page