Statistics

225,073 members
99,495 posts
  • vszalma
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2020-08-25

Hello, 

Is there a list of compatible USB devices for recording on the Behringer X Air 12 Mixer? Or a list of what the technical specs are?

I've tried several and can only get 2 to work. They are my oldest and smallest thumb drives. If it is a size issue, it is very dissappointing since the largest I can get to work is 4GB.

Thanks for any feedback.

read more...
    0 54
    • vszalma
      DaveMorrison It's a common problem. It only will see certain drives and a usable drive can get old and then stop working. I use a 32GB regularly. The drive has to be formatted with FAT32. It's been reported that using a PC to format it works best. Flash drives that are off brand and/or old can be unstable and unusable in these mixers (X-airs, M-Airs, X32 and M32).
      • August 25, 2020
      • X Air 12 Digital Mixer compatible USB device
        vszalma Thanks. Interestingly it is my oldest ones that work. The other ones I've tried and newer and I did format them with a PC. But I did just try another one that is 16GB and newer and it worked. So it must just be very touchy with what works and what doesn't.
        • August 25, 2020
        DaveMorrison I just formatted a 64GB Samsung on my Mac (Mojave) with Fat32, and it's working fine.
        • August 25, 2020
        DaveMorrison They are.
        • August 25, 2020
    • vszalma
      KellsBells Can't get mine to work. Just bought a brand new 256GB Samsung flash drive. Formatted in FAT32, then tried FAT16, NTSA...nothing works.
      • September 28, 2020
    • vszalma
      DaveMorrison I haven't heard of anyone using a 256GB. 64 and 128 often work (but not always).
      • September 28, 2020
    • vszalma
      lassagne In same way I have some issues to read the USB device in my W air 12. First I had MP3 format and finaly I have find that WAV is the good one. BUT (I am french ...) but only for some of my titles. I would use the USB like reader for my backtrack ... Thanks for your help!
      • October 16, 2020
  • chrisreardon
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2020-08-25

I'm currently mixing a broadcast mix for an online stream and my Aux inputs coming from my video software are great. But when it goes Live to our band, instruments and pastors mic, the volume drops significantly. I'm using 2 XLR outputs on my M32 Live to a Aphex Dominator and into a ATEM HD switcher to online. Are there settings I need to change on the Bus channels I'm using or the Inputs themselves? Our live Gain levels sound great in the house mix. Just online I can't push it up enough. And when I change the output of the ATEM I'll get distortion on the signal. 

Any ideas? Thanks!

read more...
    0 20
    • chrisreardon
      DanielPaine Hi Chris,

There is quite a bit of equipment in the chain that could be causing your issue. Here are a few ideas:
      1. Separate the output sends of the M32. I'd recommend using a Matrix send that takes the mix direct of the LR bus (pre fader). You can do this by selecting the LR bus->Sends then change there. The benefit is that you can adjust the volume for a level independent of the LR bus and add things like separate EQ or Comp. M32 outputs can go loud. Also worth coming the patch by changing the fader volume of the matrix.
      2. The Aphex could be at fault. A simple bypass of this completely will reveal all!!!
      3. ATEM settings. It may be possible that it is set for mic instead of line level. Whilst it's the same connection it may account for the distortion.
      • August 25, 2020
      • M32 Live Bus Send Volumes Not "Level"
        chrisreardon Great suggestions, I'll try them all. Thank you!
        • August 25, 2020
  • chrisreardon
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2020-08-25

So I have Spotify, iTunes and other audio playback coming from one computer connected to AUX inputs 5/6 on my M32. We connected an X32 to use for a "broadcast mix" board, but one thing we still need is that audio from that computer. Any way to get that audio???

Thanks!

read more...
    0 45
    • chrisreardon
      DanielPaine If I understand correctly, the M32 and X32 are digitally linked via Cat5e AES50-A to AE50-A?? if so and also you require a replica of all input channels from the M32 (inc Aux), you can do this by firstly sending channels out of the m32.

Go to Routing->AES50-A make sure outputs 1-32 (set in 4 columns) are set to your inputs (likely input 1-32).
      The 5th column set to Aux1-6/TB or Mon.

On the X32, Routings->input set to AES50-A 1-32. Auxin should be set to user 1-6 in. Then go to Routing->Patchpoints->User->Inputs and make sure In 1-6 correlate to AES50 33-38 (which are those extra aux sends being sent from the M32. Hope this helps
      • August 25, 2020
      • How to send Aux from M32 to X32 broadcast board.
        chrisreardon Ok great thanks!
        • August 25, 2020
    • chrisreardon
      GaryHiggins Another possible way is by sliding the aes50 blocks of 8 over such that you can use aux remap for the first 6 aes50 ch's. On the M32 use aux in1-6/tb for aes50a out 1-8 then use local inputs 1-32 for aes50a out 9-40. On the broadcast mixer input routing, select aes50a 9-40 in groups of 8 for input ch's 1-32, then in aux remap choose aes50a 1-6. This will replicate the first 38 M32 ch's across the X32. If you are using the latest firmware (since 4.0) the user menus are really great and very powerful and I would choose that method first for sure, this method was used on earlier firmware versions and is still available for people who may be allergic to the "user menus" :-)
      • August 25, 2020
      • How to send Aux from M32 to X32 broadcast board.
        chrisreardon Haha, sweet. I'll try that!
        • August 25, 2020
  • chrisreardon
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2020-08-25

We use a Click, and sometimes it doesn't get unmuted, and we can't hear it in our P16. I can figure out how to leave it unmuted if it is a Direct Out option, but it is currently in a Bus channel. Is there anyway to have certain channels stay unmuted or that whole Bus channel stay unmuted in our P16?

Thanks!

read more...
    0 14
    • chrisreardon
      DavidKnighton Hello chrisreardon,
      You can set the 'tap' for the ultranet signal to be Pre-Fader as opposed to say Pre-Fader + Mute. This means the output signal is taken before the bus fader/channel fader and the mute has no affect.
      • August 25, 2020
      • How to keep certain channels unmuted on P16
        chrisreardon Yeah, I tried that, but still no luck. Do I have to change settings on that specific input (Click) as well? What would I change and where if so?
        • August 25, 2020
    • chrisreardon
      Paul_Vannatto If the click is part of a bus, which is outputted to the P16, there is no way to eliminate the mute issue, since muting the channel also mutes the sends to the buses. If you do want to ensure that the click is never muted, send the direct out of that channel (that the click is coming into the console) with the tap of IN/LC.
      • August 25, 2020
        chrisreardon Ok thanks so much. No other way to combine some channels down in the P16 but leave unmuted?
        • August 25, 2020
        Paul_Vannatto If the sound techs are willing to assign a DCA to those channels and mute the DCA instead of the channels themselves, then yes it is possible. This will work as long as the channel sends to the desired bus(es) are not post-fader or subgroup taps.
        • August 25, 2020
  • broadcastdan
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2020-08-25

Hello,

Looking into Midas' audio consoles for larger broadcast setups. Anyone know if the Midas Pro X series of boards have audio-follow-video capability? Do any of Midas' other boards have that feature?

0 30
    • broadcastdan
      DavidKnighton Hello broadcastdan,
      As far as I know, the Pro Series desks do not have this feature built-in, as there's no interface between the console and a video system. You would need the video system to somehow trigger the muting/unmuting on the desk, however I'm not sure there's any way to actually accomplish that with the current software available.
      • August 25, 2020
      • Consoles for TV Broadcasting
        broadcastdan Hello David and thanks so much for the message,

Our video switchers all have that capability, but we need to determine if the audio mixers we purchase are capable of understanding those signals.

Thanks,
        Dan
        • August 25, 2020
        KevinMaxwell What video switcher are you using? I used to do a lot of audio for video but it has been a while and that was before digital consoles. Obviously how the studio is configured makes a big difference in how you want this all to work. Audio Follow Video (AFV) to me only makes sense for video roll-ins (Playback) or remotes.

If the switcher can be setup to send specific MIDI commands when the Playback or remote source is switched to Program you could use a Midas M32 or a Wing. I really like the capabilities of the Wing. And you can use some of the Midas Stage boxes with the Wing.

Back when I used to do Sound for Video I was usually doing acquisition. But the times I was involved with a show in the control room it was all analog. So the playback Eng. would have to scrub the tape to be sure they were at the right starting point. So you really had to be sure that the audio from that wasn’t going to the Program feed. Also if the audio had to be up before the video was switched to then AFV wasn’t going to work. That must be considered in how the system is configured or you will have problems. With a digital console and someone that knows what they are doing it could be worked around relatively easily.

I have no experience with any of the Midas Pro-X consoles. I know someone that has some of them but they only do Live sound. If there was or is an off line software other than just for a Mac I would have checked out the capabilities because I like to learn.
        • August 28, 2020
        broadcastdan Thank you Kevin for your reply. We use primarily Grass Valley Kayenne or Kahuna switchers. Unfortunately the M32 or Wing would be too small for our projects. We are mainly looking at using Pro X.
        • August 28, 2020
    • broadcastdan
      CARLOSPER Hi. I did not understand the query well.
      But you can control a video unit from any MIDAS via MIDI.
      Editing the scenes and inserting MIDI between scenes to send or receive and be able to control or be controlled by another device.
      I have put together shows that MIDAS controlled lighting and video when we changed scenes.
      You can also link devices by word clock.
      Well I hope I have been useful
      regards
      • August 25, 2020
        broadcastdan Hello Carlos and thank you for your reply. This is the definition of the feature we're referencing:

Audio-follow-video (AFV)
        An operational mode in which audio and video switchers are tied together so that when the operator selects the video source, the audio simultaneously and automatically switches to the same source.
        https://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs/rtp/glossary.htm
        • August 25, 2020
        CARLOSPER Hello
        What I do not quite understand is how the audio and video devices are connected
        It is a Broadcast equipment in which the audio and video travel on the same signal.
        Sorry but i don't understand well
        • August 25, 2020
    • broadcastdan
      Nigel67 Hi, I have spoken to the Design Team regarding the implementation of audio -follow-video for the HD96. A specification for it has been written, however it is not implemented yet. It is in the pipeline, unfortunately not in the short term. We did some modifications to the XL4 many years ago for Broadcast purposes and there was a black box that could be retrofitted to the rear of the console which would automatically open and close faders as different cameras were switched to. Would you mind if I sent you an e-mail so I can get more information from you. Maybe your requirements and quantity of console could persuade the designers to implement the feature sooner than expected. Many thanks
      • August 28, 2020
        broadcastdan Thank you Nigel. Feel free to email. We were advised to reach out to Chase McKnight, which we did but haven't heard back. Chase has my info. However, we are not looking at any large quantities but still most likely more than one. Thanks
        • August 28, 2020
  • NSomerville
    Triber
    2020-08-24

UPDATE: Sign-up now closed!
    Thanks to everyone who signed up. We will review your applications shortly!

Sign-up, join the Music Tribe Community Development Program and become a beta-tester!
     Become part of the team, help with testing upcoming products, tell the world about them in a video and receive a free unit as a reward! You must meet these criteria:

• great knowledge of Digital Mixers 

• willing to test a beta product

• willing to produce a video about the product

In return we reward you with a free finished product! If you want to help with creating the next big thing, please sign up here.

If you have questions, please let me know. You can sign up for multiple product categories at once (for example loudspeakers, amplifiers and mixers).

Looking forward to working with you! 

Nathan 

read more...
    2 23
  • TwinTurboz
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2020-08-24

Just picked up an M32 and its been a learning curve.  My previous interface was a Mackie 1640i (16 channel).  I occasionally record bands in my home studio and needed additional preamps (yes more than 16).  Plus the additional options for monitor sends to musicians is a blessing.   So the Midas hit the spot.  I was hoping there was an option to tap the USB signal after the low cuts, comp., eq, etc.. of each of the 32 preamps. But that is not possible :(  .   But I found a way to somewhat do it.  But with that option, 16 channels is the limit.  Which is what I could do with the Mackie.   My question is and maybe Im way off base.  But could the X32 and M32 be programmed (bios/os) as a stand alone "Studio Console" ?   Option to tap all 32 channels after the eq section.  The Mackie 1640i had a button on each channel strip to tap before or after eq.  Maybe Music Tribe needs to do a couple Bios settings.  One for "FOH" work and a strictly "Studio" system.  Yes I know one can send all 32 channels back into the mixer and then record a stereo mix.  But I want to use the M32/X32 eq sections during the recording.  Are there any "Mods" out there ?  Just want all 32 card signals to be after the eq's.  Maybe a new bios version to add that option ?  Thanks.

read more...
    1 20
    • TwinTurboz
      Paul_Vannatto Why are you double posting? I answered your other one
      • August 23, 2020
    • TwinTurboz
      TwinTurboz Sorry since the Midas and Behringer basically use the same bios/os i figured i would post on the Midas part of forum and behringer part
      • August 23, 2020
  • TwinTurboz
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2020-08-24

Just picked up an M32 and its been a learning curve.  My previous interface was a Mackie 1640i (16 channel).  I occasionally record bands in my home studio and needed additional preamps (yes more than 16).  Plus the additional options for monitor sends to musicians is a blessing.   So the Midas hit the spot.  I was hoping there was an option to tap the USB signal after the low cuts, comp., eq, etc.. of each of the 32 preamps. But that is not possible :(  .   But I found a way to somewhat do it.  But with that option, 16 channels is the limit.  Which is what I could do with the Mackie.   My question is and maybe Im way off base.  But could the X32 and M32 be programmed (bios/os) as a stand alone "Studio Console" ?   Option to tap all 32 channels after the eq section.  The Mackie 1640i had a button on each channel strip to tap before or after eq.  Maybe Music Tribe needs to do a couple Bios settings.  One for "FOH" work and a strictly "Studio" system.  Yes I know one can send all 32 channels back into the mixer and then record a stereo mix.  But I want to use the M32/X32 eq sections during the recording.  Are there any "Mods" out there ?  Just want all 32 card signals to be after the eq's.  Maybe a new bios version to add that option ?  Thanks.

read more...
    0 56
    • TwinTurboz
      Paul_Vannatto Yes you can setup a routing to have signals to the DAW after channel processign (gate, EQ, comp, etc.) and you can do it for all 32 USB signals. You would route 16 channels through the Routing, Out 1-16 and another through the Routing, Ultranet, adjusting each channel's taps on those screens. Then assign those banks of 8 to the Routing, Card Out screen.

But why would you want to do that? The thing is that doing it that way, whatever you adjust in the EQ, comp, etc. will be part of those tracks and cannot be changed in the future. For example, if you have a bass track with a various EQ settings, if later you realize that the EQ is not the best, it will mean that you will have to redo that track (have the bass player return to re-play that track).

On the other hand, if you record the bass track with no processing, you can use VST plugins to process (EQ, compress, etc.) post recording. Then later if you don't like that particular sound, you can change the VST or any of the settings.
      • August 23, 2020
    • TwinTurboz
      TwinTurboz I use out 1-12 for my 6 iem feeds to my live room (stereo). So using the xlr outs will not work. Every routing option, I found online, not utilizing the Aux 1-16 connections will be limited to 16 tracks. Even using the new "user" settings will end up at 16 processed tracks. Yes I realize any processing will be permanent. Bass guitar I always DI. But having the option for the USB card to "tap" after processing is a nice option. Now is the USB tap after the low/hi-cut ? From what I read it taps preamp before cuts. I have not tried recording anything using the low cut to see. I just need an option to tap signal before or after channel processing (pre-fad). Maybe Music Tribe could easily make it an option in another update ? Thanks for the reply.
      • August 23, 2020
      • Midas M32 / Behringer X32  for Studio only use.
        Paul_Vannatto Having more tap options has been requested numerous times in the 8+ years of the X32/M32 product life and the response has been consistently the same that it is not possible, due to the limitations of the (aging) DSP design. Since you are using the Outputs 1-12 for IEM, I would suggest that you consider getting an X32 Rack to add to your eco-system - either to handle the IEM requirements or the recording requirements. Another option is to consider the new Behringer Wing.
        • August 23, 2020
    • TwinTurboz
      GaryHiggins Looks like you maybe still have the aux out routing menu free so that and the Ultranet out menu will get you up to 22 usb ch with full ch processing. You have out 13-16 left too so perhaps a few more there? Using all those as part of a user out menu could get you close to 26 ch’s routed in any order you choose, not 32 ch’s but pretty decent. Another thought is get some DP48’s to use for your in ear monitors and free up more or all of the outputs 1-16 menu.
      • August 24, 2020
    • TwinTurboz
      TwinTurboz If I had an extra $1,000 I would look at the DP48's. Would need 3 DP48's, seeing how each can process 2 independent mixes. Do you need the "Hub4" also ? Or can you daisy chain the DP48's without the hub ? If the hub is needed, that would drive the price up even more.
      • August 24, 2020
        Paul_Vannatto Yes you can daisy-chain the DP48
        • August 24, 2020
        GaryHiggins I won’t say you won’t benefit from the hub. (Not available to buy here in the US yet anyway) But you should be able to work around it with the thru ports and daisy chain. Perhaps the main issue, which may not be effect a studio as much as a live stage, is without the hub or some Poe injector setup, you need to plug a power supply for each DP48.. That is not a deal killer but can be a pain and harder to keep organized. True they are not cheap but work very well and in your case would free up the output assignments needed for post ch processing. As Paul suggested, an x32 rack would be another option or a used x32 producer/compact to handle the monitors.
        • August 24, 2020
    • TwinTurboz
      TwinTurboz Good deal. Thanks Paul. I should have researched this issue before I started using the 16 xlr outs to feed my headphone amp. I had to rework one of my old snakes to have xlr female connections, plus I bought another snake to replace the one I converted. Spent about $400 on all the connections and hardware. Cheaper than buying 3 DP48's, but I didn't realize I couldn't tap after processing. I will use what aux outs I have left and the 13-16 xlr's to at least get a few channels to be post eq. Set up channel 29-32 to be pre fader. Then I will start saving up for 3 DP48's. Never ending :) But I got the Midas for a heck of a deal and couldnt pass it up. Thanks again Paul and Gary for the help.
      • August 24, 2020
  • Severt
    Contributor - Level 3
    2020-08-23

I upgraded my x32 firmware today.  Grabbed the latest firmware, 4.02,  from the support page as well as the  latest x32 edit app which is version 3.2.  

Tried to connect to the x32 from my Windows 10 PC and no love.  x32 edit said it was incompatibe with the x32 firmware and said I needed to upgrade.  I am at the latest version of both though.  

I can't live with x32 edit so suggestions appreciated!

read more...
    0 13
    • Severt
      DaveMorrison The latest X32-Edit version is 4.1 . Every type of X32 uses the same X32-Edit. It's not under the "app" section. It's under "Software".
      • August 22, 2020
      • x32edit not working after firmware upgrade
        Severt LOL, thanks Dave for helping me solve this problem! it turns out that the I was looking under X32 as the product and there is no version 4.1 listed there. However, when I went to the X32 Compact downloads, it had both 4.1 and 3.2 available. Thanks for the tip!!!
        • August 24, 2020
    • Severt
      DaveMorrison Glad you found it. With this new website, you can never be sure where (or when) anything might be.
      • August 24, 2020
  • DavidStackhouse
    Contributor - Level 2
    2020-08-22

Hello... I had heard/read that connection from the M Air app to the MR-18 via external router is more reliable than via its internal router, so I bought an external router - a Linksys EA8300.

First, just to be thorough, I tested it conventionally with my Xfinity internet router, found that the Linksys router functions as intended, and updated its firmware. Then I plugged it into the ethernet jack on the MR-18 and set its Remote switch to Ethernet.

I set my Android device to connect to the Linksys router wifi, which it does, and says "Connected, no internet" (which makes sense).

I open the M Air app, and the connection window appears. Strangely, in the lower left it says...
    "Wifi connected to <unknown ssid>
    1.0.3"
    Then, whether I touch Search or Connect, either way the window that appears says...
    "Searching...
    Wifi connected to <unknown ssid>"
    ...but never connects.

I've tinkered with the IP address, and also with the Wifi lock, but still with no success.

One thing of note: Apparently, both the MR18 and the Linksys router assign themselves by default the IP address 192.168.1.1. I don't know if that's the issue, but I don't know how to change that for one or the other.

Bottom line... can anyone help me get this external router working right? If not, do I really even need it? So far the MR-18's internal router has worked just fine. Thanks for your help.

read more...
    0 118
    • DavidStackhouse
      GaryHiggins You need to make your XR18 settings for the ethernet (or wifi) while you are still actually connected via the built in router. Once saved you can then put the switch in the ethernet position and connect via the direct connection. Settings otherwise do not get saved.
      • August 22, 2020
      • M Air app not connecting to MR-18 via external router
        DavidStackhouse Thanks for replying, Gary.... and what exactly would this settings be, and in what screens? Thanks much...
        • August 22, 2020
      • M Air app not connecting to MR-18 via external router
        GaryHiggins Setup/network pages in M-Air
        • ·
        • August 22, 2020
    • DavidStackhouse
      GaryHiggins I might try a static ip, try something like 192.168.1.18 for ip, use 255.255.255.0 for mask and use the router ip for gateway 192.168.1.1 or leave gateway blank. There are other options if that’s a no go. Maybe dhcp next.
      • August 22, 2020
    • DavidStackhouse
      john0121 Hi David, You can find the detailed steps of connecting with an external router in the following FAQ:

https://musictribecommunity.powerappsportals.com/en-us/knowledgebase/article/6886
      • August 24, 2020
    • DavidStackhouse
      DavidStackhouse Thanks, Gary and John... I'll give it a try!
      • August 24, 2020
    • DavidStackhouse
      DavidStackhouse Gary and John, I finally got around to trying your suggestions, but still have no connection via this router.

I know the router works, because I tested it with our home network before trying to use it with the MR-18.

I connected the same cable as I used during that test from the Ethernet port on the MR-18 to the Internet port on the external router. The remote switch on the MR-18 is set to the left for Ethernet.

I have named the external router network "StackLinksys". The attached picture is of the screen of my Android tablet, showing I am successfully connected to the external router via wifi. (Available networks listed are obviously other networks in range, like my home network and my next door neighbors.)

But, having tried all the methods you suggested, the M Air app still does not see the MR-18 via the external router and thus cannot connect as such. If I switch the MR-18 to Access Point, my tablet sees and connects to it just fine without the help of the external router, just as it always has.

Have you any more thoughts and suggestions on how to get this external router working?

But really, what's the point? What am I gaining by getting this external router working, other than putting another piece of equipment into the signal chain that could potentially fail when I need it most?

Thanks again for all your help. Quite frustrated...   - DS.
      • August 29, 2020
Go to page