Statistics

241,806 members
118,115 posts
  • AdrianaGarrido
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-11-29

hi, guys

I'm using the morningstar MC6 controller to send midi clock to VL3X and to control other drum machine by footwitch. I followed the setup suggested on a BeatBuddy thread (bellow) but still couldn't get the looper totally in sync. I noticed that you really can't stop and start again the beat generator (BB or any other) because of the downclock, but even when I just let the beat playing along with the loop, it seems to slightly drift from the inicial tempo over a few bars.

any thoughts? that's veeeery frustrating

SETUP>MIDI
    Source: MIDI PORTS
    Midi Tempo: ON
    Input Channel: 1
    Output Channel: Off
    Input Filter: None
    Output Filter: None
    Transpose: O
    Pitchbend Range: 12
    Split Note C-1
    Split Direction: ABOVE
    Vibrato Boost: MANUEL
    SYSEX ID: 0

LOOPER SETUP
    Current Slot: 1
    Mix Looper to NP: Off
    Auto Met On: On
    Auto Met Mute: On
    Odub Decay: 98%
    Queue Odub: Off
    Met Follows Playback: Off

I'm running FW 2.2.00 BUILD 366

Here is a video to demonstrate. Note that after a while, the metronome drifts from the original tempo, but if I stop the loop and start it again, it goes back to sync.

https://youtu.be/MSqq-WKVUxM

read more...
    0 193
    • AdrianaGarrido
      TCH-Spencer

Hey @AdrianaGarrido,
      Sounds like you're pretty close to getting this working.  Which "Sync" setting are you using in the looper?  I'd recommend using the "Quantize" setting if you aren't already.  Page 153 of the manual has some relevant information on this topic too.  Cheers!

• December 5, 2019
  • jkrantman
    Contributor - Level 3
    2019-11-26

Trying to do something odd.  On the preset Buzzin' Fly, it makes my voice sound like a buzzing fly.  Follows pitch, but doesn't sound like a voice.  My questions:

1.  Where is the setting in the menu that turns the voice into buzzing?  I assume the presets involve settings in the regular menu system and not some inaccessible programming level.

2.  Is there a setting by which I can control the sound of the buzzing fly voice?  In other words, can I configure the buzzing effects? (pitch, sound qualities, etc.)  What menu(s)?  

3. Is there a way to get fly harmony?  I can get a 2nd voice there, but it's less fly-like.

4.  The setting suppresses the lead voice (my voice) completely.  Sometimes I use this feature in lowering the gain on the lead voice, but I can't find a way to have my regular voice sing along with buzzing harmony-singing flies. (actually bees in the song) 

By the way, I'm getting some cool swarm effects using delay.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jerry

read more...
    0 158
    • jkrantman
      TCH-Spencer

Hey @jkrantman,

1. The buzzing sound in preset 121 is caused by the "Synth" effect - this is in the "Vocal" menu

2. Same answer as above, all the settings will be here

3. No, you cannot use the Harmony effect on the Synth voice - this is because the Harmony effect is first in the effects chain so it's applied to your lead voice, and Synth is then later down the chain, and this order is hard-coded so you can't have the Synth effect first then feeding into the Harmony effect

4. To bring your lead voice back into the mix I'd recommend using the "Double" effect with the "1 Voice Tight" style

Hopefully that's helpful, cheers!

• November 27, 2019
  • Montxo
    Contributor - Level 1
    2019-11-26

Hello,

I suppose that the audio in the unit goes to the PC via USB? or not?

So can I record the audio comming via USB in my PC windows?

THanks in advance.

Montxo

0 109
    • Montxo
      TCH-Spencer

Hey @Montxo,
      Yes indeed just connect your Touch 2 to your computer via USB and it should automatically detect, you don't have to install any additional drivers.  This Knowledge Base article will have the info pertaining to what to expect from the USB audio channels.  Cheers!

• November 26, 2019
  • BeePee
    Contributor - Level 1
    2019-11-25

I'm still happily using my original Voicelive Touch for gigs and home recording. I link it up via USB to an iPad to get the benefits of the excellent Loopy app, superior in many respects to the looper in the VLT. A question, if anyone's listening: Loopy gets the signal from the VLT fine and returns it without noticeable latency. However it seems only the main VLT signal is being recorded in Loopy via USB, not extras like harmonies etc. I can get them if I take an analogue signal from the main or headphone VLT outputs into the iPad via an iRig headphone input, but I want to retain the clean USB input. Any idea why only part of the signal (pre processing, without harmonies etc) is coming in via USB? Thanks, BeePee

read more...
    0 73
  • AlMorello
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-11-25

I'm using Onsong ipad App with my VL3X plugged into the USB port. When I play a track from the Onsong App, the iPad's volume up/down buttons don't work. Only way I can turn the music up/down is through the VL3X mixer (4 small knobs on face). This isn't very convenient as I have to bend down to twist the knobs. Is there any way to affect the volume with the iPad volume buttons or are they bypassed since I'm plugging into the VL3X via USB?

read more...
    0 146
    • AlMorello
      Andreas-Joseph

I do not use or know much about On song, yet with my VL3XI use Aux port for the input if I need a backing track.or  we can record a Backing track with each preset- I personally am looking for someone who has insight to eliminate VL3X "settings" instability-especially during a live performance...totally annoying

• November 25, 2019
  • DennisMilsom
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-11-24

refer here : https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/1288617-tc-helicon-perform-series-forced-use-switch-3-a.html?posted=1#post14341749

After discussions with Mark at the above, I can get a single switch to turn the harmony effect on and off, which is all I needed. To summaraize all of the above thread - using a TRS plug (that must go into the Perform (in my case the Perform-VK), connect the tip and sleeve only (ring is unconnected) to either a on off switch ( https://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Momentary-Effects-Button-Switch/dp/B00W93IWQA ) or a TS jack (if using a Boss FSU for example) or even a standard footpedal switch.

read more...
    0 166
    • DennisMilsom
      DennisMilsom

So now, I can have a simple, almost cost free (instead of $130+ for a 3 switch pedal I'll never use) way to utitlise a simple function of turning an effect on or off.

• November 24, 2019
    • DennisMilsom
      AlMorello

Thanks for this info. I plan on making my own single pedal now too!

• November 26, 2019
    • DennisMilsom
      IHatethisSite

Ideally, it will be a momentary switch like those in the TC switches. You can use both the tip and sleeve and a 2nd switch to switch 2 functions, also.

• December 10, 2019
  • DennisMilsom
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-11-22

Why oh why did TC Helicon (apart from a money grab) decide to change out what footswitch one could use?

I am coming from a Harmony -M that I have had for many years whihc could allow the use of a simple single switch that could just turn harmony on an off! As I already have several pedal units under my keys, I could then mounnt a small switch on top of the sustain pedal that gave me easy and simple access to controlling the harmony.

Now I am forced to buy a 3 switch pedal (the smallest one) that I have no idea how to place in a tight floor space already! and If I don't I ahve no way of turning the harmony on and off when needed, without removing my hand from the keys, reaching over to the mic stand turning on the harmony and then back!

The only reason I can see is to gouge more money from buyers. There is NOTHING in any of the pre-sales hype and advertising that says anything about it is the ONLY pedal that will work! Now, as I have spent over $400 (with no returns - it is NOT the USA here) I now have to spend another $130 just for a switch!

NOT happy! Surely they caould have allowed for a simple switch to control just one function!

read more...
    0 212
    • DennisMilsom
      TCH-Spencer

Hey @DennisMilsom,
      You didn't mention which product you're using now, but you mentioned keys and reaching for a mic stand so I'll assume you're talking about a Perform-VK.  Switch-3 and Switch-6 aren't the only pedals that'll work with Perform-VK, just the only ones we can guarantee will work.  In my experience there are pedals from other manufacturers that work great with our gear, you'll just have to try yours and cross your fingers that your 3rd party pedal works.

• November 22, 2019
    • DennisMilsom
      DennisMilsom

@TCH-Spencer  So that's the only response hey, the official company line! Buy a pedal but then be forced to spend over another 1/4 of the value on a "factory only" pedal to be able to actually use it!

• November 23, 2019
    • DennisMilsom
      kiskadar69

TC-Helicon Switch-3 has 3 Normally Open momentary switches, 2 diodes and a TRS (TIP, RING, SLEEVE) socket. The first switch shortcuts SLEEVE with TIP. The second switch short-circuits the SLEEVE with the RING. The third switch shortens SLEEVE with TIP + RING.

So, with a properly designed short "TRS plug - TS socket" adapter cable and any Normally Open simple foot pedal, you can simulate any switch on the Switch-3.

• December 10, 2019
    • DennisMilsom
      kiskadar69

Sorry, I didn't notice that your issue was resolved.

• December 10, 2019
  • PaulSijben
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-11-21

Looking at Sam Perry's equipment video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfJ14MsMO0U) he is using a guitar tuner to actually make sure his voice is in tune before starting his loops. This seems like a great idea.

I have both the voicelive 2 and the  touch 2, both have a tuner, but on the guitar channel. How would it be possible to have mute & tuner mode on the voicelives?

read more...
    0 108
    • PaulSijben
      TCH-Spencer

Hey @PaulSijben,
      Sorry to say that the tuners in both those products are exclusive to the guitar path - there's no way to get your voice into them unless you're physically plugging your mic into the guitar input.  They do both however have pitch correction in them, so you can use that to be sure you're in tune.  Cheers!

• November 21, 2019
  • LucDeBacker
    Contributor - Level 3
    2019-11-20

Hi all,

Pretty new to this board and if I'm posting something wrong I'm sorry for that.

So we are having the TC Helicon VoiceLive 3 Extreme and love the box.
    We we have a gig (most of the times smalller ones) we connect our Turbosound IQ10's to it.

My wife, the singer, and a mate of mine, the guitarist, complain lately of not hearing themselves enough when we are playing at a gig where they for sure are behind the IQ's. When the guitarist can't join us we packed the VLX with backing tracks.

So we got ourselves the TurboSound TFX122M-AN floor monitor.

The main reason is the ultra net possibilities these IQ's and monitor has as I'm running also a X32 Core and the big boy X32 together with the S32 when playing with the complete band.

Now for our issue. The only way connecting the monitor is by using the headphone out. I got myself a cable that supposedly turn the 3,5 stereo jack into the male XLR mono. This is for some reason giving a kreepy end result where it looks like the two channels are canceling each other out now leaving only the differences coming out of the monitor.

What would your guys advice be? I can't imagine someone did not face the same problem. Is there maybe some kind of box available with 2x XLR in for the separated  Left and Right, having a pass through XLR out Left and Right and also a XLR out having the signals correctly merged into mono?

All advice is highly appreciated

Regrads from my wife

and me

read more...
    0 223
    • LucDeBacker
      LucDeBacker

A bit weird to reply to myself but I think I have found the best solution.

I'm going to connect the (MONO) left towards a Klark Teknik PRO SPLITTER 5 DS 50 passieve splitter and from there I can split it to the floor monitor and directly to the IQ

Should be good. The order is out and tomorrow it will be delivered.
      I'll post another reply with my findings.

Regards, Luc

• November 21, 2019
    • LucDeBacker
      TCH-Aaron

Hi LucDeBacker,

That sounds like a great setup! I believe the TRS to Mono XLR cable is likely the issue.

To connect to a PA or monitor using the headphone out you will need either:

1) Stereo TRS 3.5mm (1/8") to Dual Mono 6.5mm (1/4") cable 

2) Stereo TRS 3.5mm to Dual XLR-Male cable

By keeping the signal stereo you won't run into the cancellation you're experiencing. You can use either the left, right, or both outputs to connect to the wedge as I believe the Turbosound has two inputs. 

The most flexible and recallable setup would be to run the VL3's main outputs AND the headphone outputs to the X-32 - so four channels - then send only what you need back to the wedge using one of the X-32's mix buses. Food for thought. I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Aaron

• November 21, 2019
    • LucDeBacker
      LucDeBacker

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for the feedback.

Of course using the X32 would mean no issues at all anymore but this was not the intention for playing a small gig (sometimes even a family room performance). In such a case I only bring the VLX3, 1 or 2 IQ10's and from now on the Floor monitor as well.

By the way this Turbosound Floor monitor has only 1 input (well, 1 ultranet and 1 XLR).

While I think the box will help me out I missed 1 thing. The left output will be the mono output when not using the Right channel output as well. Regardless the monitor will be the left channel only in a two speaker setup it will be much better than canceling out

I just got confirmation the box is coming tonight, I'll report back tomorrrow.

Luc

• November 21, 2019
    • LucDeBacker
      TCH-Aaron

Nice! If you're not bringing the X-32 that's a great way to do it. I ran an identical setup for years when playing solo shows. I'd use one or two main speakers running straight off the VL3 main outputs and either a wedge or IEM's fed by the headphone output.

If you do end up wanting to keep things stereo in the mains and have separate control of the wedge using the VL3 as the "mixer", a cable such as the Digiflex HIN-1K-2XM-15 would be all you'd need.

Cheers!

• November 22, 2019
  • godsfingers
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-11-19

Hi second newbe question. Is there a way to get my voice out of the wet feed? I want to be able to set up 3rd track descants on songs or be able to create punch tracks. Any help appreciated. Thanks, Dan

0 137
    • godsfingers
      godsfingers

oops, forgot to include this question is for the Live Harmony G XT

• November 19, 2019
    • godsfingers
      TCH-Spencer

Hey @godsfingers,
      Are you trying to separate your wet and dry vocals?  If so, check out this article in our Knowledge Base, it has the info you're after.  Cheers!

• November 21, 2019
    • godsfingers
      godsfingers

Ya, I've done that and all it is is the difference between a stero and mono feed. The main vocal stays isolated on the dry track but is still in the stereo track. So when the harmonies drop the main vocal is on that track still. The intention is to do the panning on the workstation. When I cut the third track with descants or echos the main vocal included in the echos or descants will be a distraction. I suspect I can't get away from that, yes. Otherwise, I'm thus far pleased with the quality. I'm simplying and replacing my ancient Digitech Studio Vocalist.

• November 21, 2019
    • godsfingers
      TCH-Spencer

Hi again @godsfingers,
      Ah see what you mean...  The left XLR does indeed only carry the harmony voices, but only if they're turned on, and when the harmony voices are disabled the lead voice is present again on that channel.  I can see your problem now if you're applying echos and whatnot to this channel... The only thing I can think of would be to put some kind of XLR mute pedal (like this) between Harmony G-XT's left XLR output and your workstation, then leave the harmonies always on in the G-XT and toggle them in and out with the mute pedal.  Kind of janky to have to use extra hardware, but it's the only solution I can think of.

• November 22, 2019
Go to page