Statistics

249,352 members
126,353 posts
  • New
    SteveWalker
    Contributor - Level 3
    2021-08-23

I use X-Air Edit to control my XR-18 from a Windows 10 tablet with touch screen mounted to the mic stand.  In-between songs to speak to the audience, I need to mute the effects by touching the screen, but it is too slow and difficult.  Instead, I want to have an external switch assigned to mute effects. Is it possible to connect a device to the USB port of the tablet to mute effects in X-Air Edit?

read more...
    0 17
    • SteveWalker
      Paul_Vannatto Unfortunately not Steve. The X-Air cannot be controlled via USB. What some have done is to make a DIY project with push buttons and an arduino and connected to the X-Air via midi or ethernet. If that interests you, I can provide some arduino code to make it happen.
      • Aug 22
    • SteveWalker
      SteveWalker Thank you, Paul, for replying to my question. I hope you are doing well; it's been a long time. I have been using the XR-18 for about 6 years now. After my post today, I found a software that uses the X-Touch Mini with USB port. Please watch this video and comment with your opinion: XR18 controlled with OsiMIDI Stage + X-Touch Mini
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc_4z08PWrE
      Thank you, Steve
      • Aug 22
    • SteveWalker
      Paul_Vannatto Hi Steve, yes it has been a long time. OSIMidi is software that works in parallel to the X-Air Edit (or X32 Edit) to act as a translator between the X-touch Mini (via USB) and the X-Air/M-Air/X32/M32 (via ethernet using OSC commands), just like my Live Toolbox or any of Patrick's apps would do. They don't directly control the X-Air Edit. Rather they control the console and X-Air Edit responds in turn by commands of the changes from the console.

Software could be developed to function in a similar manner of the OSIMidi. But it would be quite an effort, due to the fact that each OS handles USB control very differently. I see on their website that their software is available for Windows, Mac, linux and Raspberry Pi. Kudos for that and their licence prices aren't that bad. I'm not prepared to tackle such a project at this point, since I've already got a few I'm currently developing (Wing to X32 converter, Wing Snapshot Parser, etc.).
      • Aug 22
    • SteveWalker
      SteveWalker I'm glad you confirmed my understanding of OSIMidi and I'm sure it would work well. My main goal was just limited to muting the effects while speaking to the audience. I have been able to mute on the touch screen mostly in the beginning of my show but not easily between songs. So, without mute many listeners may have trouble understanding because of reverb and delay. I use the full X-Touch in my recording setup giving me 100% compatibility with Logic Pro X and about 50% with Pro Tools. So, I don't need the X-Touch Mini except in my live performances for muting effects. Thanks for your expert advice for this.
      • Aug 22