Statistics

250,906 members
128,125 posts
  • New
    dave7005
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2021-08-24

Greetings!   I am new here.  I run an X-32 mixer for a medium sized church.  We also run a screen system with ProPresenter.  

Last Sunday everything was working fine through sound check, then suddenly, I could not get any selection buttons to light and the faders were not doing anything.  Yet there was still sound going through, the last setting in sound check.  Now comes the wacky part.  I loaded my X32 remote IPad app.  As I moved the faders on the app, they worked on the console as well...  only it was now controlling the sound.  Yet if I went back to the channel on the console and move the slider, no effect.  I had to run the entire service from the ipad, but sitting behind the console.  I am so confused.  I sure hope that some of you guys might have some idea of what is happening here.

Much appreciated!

Dave

read more...
    0 16
    • dave7005
      Paul_Vannatto Hi Dave, did someone inadvertently lock the console when you weren't looking? After the service was finished did you shut down, then restart the console to see if the physical surface resumed normal operations?
      • Aug 24
  • New
    OzMakka
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2021-08-24

Hi all.

First post here and fairly new to the XR18. I have been using it for an acoustic duo for the past 12 months and want to try some multitrack recording to my iPad using Cubasis 2.  I have everything working fine in regards to recording but I'm finding the tracks are a little on the quiet side. Especially when I bring the stems across to Cubase on my PC I actually have to add gain.

My question is (probably pretty dumb) is there an overall master volume for USB output, for instance like there is for Main Out, Bus 1 etc? Which sliders are controlling the output?  

Thanks guys.

read more...
    0 21
    • OzMakka
      Paul_Vannatto No, there is no output level control in the XR18. But there is no reason you can't increase the input gains a bit. I tend to run my gains a bit hotter than recommended and have no issues with the sound quality or clipping.
      • Aug 24
  • New
    JamesCarney
    Contributor - Level 2
    2021-08-23

The update notes to Version 4.06 l;ist one of the improvements as "Matrix, M/C, and LR channels can be assigned to DCA and mute groups."  I have tried a number of differnt ways to accomplish assigning a matrix, and the M/C channel to a DCA without success. Can someone help me out?

Thanks in advance.

read more...
    0 21
    • JamesCarney
      Paul_Vannatto On the console, select the desired matrix (or Main LR or M/C). Then on the Home screen, press the down arrow button to access the DCA's and mutegroup assignments. Using X32-Edit, select the matrix channel strip or Main LR or M/C bus strip (far right), then the Main screen.
      • Aug 23
    • JamesCarney
      JamesCarney

Thank you Paul!

• Aug 23
  • New
    BigFire
    Contributor - Level 1
    2021-08-23

My Wing has worked flawlessly day in and out for about a year, short of a scribble strip outage that somehow fixed itself. I shutdown the mixer on Friday after finishing the mix project I was working on for a client and returned this morning to power it up. When I turn it on, nothing really happens other than the colored lights above the first scribble strip in each bank of 4 flash on twice very rapidly and off, 5 seconds of time pass with nothing lit up or displayed on the mixer then it does it again. The lights flashing are also red in color. I've pulled the plug and waited 10 secs before plugging in again and tried powering it repeatedly only to get the same results.

Anyone else experience this? I use the Wing as a part of my daily workflow and the thought of having to send it in and wait months, as many seem to experience on here, for servicing scares me greatly. I am now regretting having bought this as a key part of my setup. I miss being able to send it to my local authorized repair center as I have with previous Tribe branded gear.

read more...
    1 27
    • BigFire
      Paul_Vannatto Hi BigFire, I experienced a similar scenario about a year ago. I had been updating the firmware the old way (via USB to the OS partition) and archiving the older firmware in a folder. In doing so, I had filled up the partition completely and the Wing would not boot up (with similar indications like the scribble lights blinking). I ended up wiping the OS partition and recreating it using GParted (a linux app) and transferring the latest firmware.

For your scenario, since you probably didn't do what I did (fill up the OS partition), it is possible that the OS partition has become corrupted and unreadable. I would suggest you find someone who is experienced with computer partitions to have a look at your Wing OS partition, by connecting a computer (preferably with linux) to the Wing via USB and enabling the OS Partition in the Wing's Setup, General screen. If it is corrupted, it may need to be rebuilt as I explained above.
      • Aug 23
      • Wing Power-up issue
        BigFire Thanks, Paul. Unfortunately, I have no way of getting into the Setup screen to enable that as there is no display of anything on the mixer. It would have to be able to boot to do so, which it can not do.
        • Aug 23
    • BigFire
      Paul_Vannatto Oh forgot to mention that the OS partition enables by default if the Wing doesn't boot. Just connect the computer via USB.
      • Aug 23
      • Wing Power-up issue
        BigFire So I turned on the power while pushing the select button and was able to get the Wing drives. I cleaned out all firmware files except the previous version it was on, ejected the WING_OS drive on my computer, powered the Wing down and powered it back on. Same thing... no boot, no screen, no moving faders, no scribbles - lifeless except the 2x blink of light above the first scribble in each bank as described above. Could this be a bad power supply issue even though I am able to access the drives when powering with "SELECT"?
        • Aug 23
    • BigFire
      Paul_Vannatto When you had the OS partition up, did you check the free space of the partition after you removed the firmware files? The reason I ask is that, depending on how you removed the files, the actual space used by those files may not be released (and available) and the partition may still be full. I know from my experience, that if there is no room available, the Wing will not boot. That is why I had to delete and recreate the partition. But I had to get the partition details before doing so (FAT32, but don't remember how many bytes).
      • Aug 23
      • Wing Power-up issue
        BigFire Hi Paul - The partition had over 300MB free, but I did remove my archived firmware file folder and it now show up with the majority of the volume free. I also left the 1.10 file in the root (the mixer was on 1.11). When I boot it still does nothing. I am now willing to entertain rebuilding the OS volume assuming it may be corrupt. I do have a Ubuntu VM I can see the OS volume on, however I am completely oblivious as to how to rebuild the partition as you have previously described. Any chance you have a step-by-step process I can follow. I am afraid I will mess things up worse if I go blowing away partitions and not do it all correctly. I greatly appreciate your help thus far and hope there is a process I might be able to use and get things running again. I've got another 6 songs coming in for mixing from a client tomorrow that I have to turn around by the weekend and this is killing me! Thank you thank you!
        • Aug 24
  • New
    hamiltdf
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2021-08-22

I am relatively new user of the digital mixer.  I have most things set up well but can only get sound to come out the phone output, nothing from the mains or the bus.  I have watched videos and learned quite a few things but none of them have solved this problem.  THis is for a small chruch setup that has a couple microphones and a few instruments.  I have save a scene and attached to this.  If anyone has a suggestion or can see what i am missing (i am sure it is simple) please let me know.

Thanks!

Dan

View Attachment
    read more...
    0 23
    • hamiltdf
      Paul_Vannatto Hi Dan, thanks for attaching your scene file - makes troubleshooting so much easier. The reason why you are hearing only out of the headphones and not out of the Main LR and buses is that all 8 inputs (inputs 9-16 are off in Routing, Inputs screen) are muted and headphone solo is set to pre-fader (before the fader and mute).
      Also
      * channel mutes mute both the sends to the Main LR and to the buses.
      * channels 1, 7, 8 do not go to any of the 3 buses (Floor L, Floor Ctr, Floor R)
      * channels 1-3 main faders are all the way down.
      * all routing seems to be correct.
      • Aug 22
  • New
    NeilForker
    Contributor - Level 2
    2021-08-21

Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place. It's been a while since I've been here. I seem to recall there was a specific forum for enhancement requests, but I can't figure out how to get there. Senior moment!

I just bought an X32 Producer for our church to use for popup outdoor events. The Producer's lack of scribble strips is a problem, and unfortunately, an omission I didn't catch when I purchased it (used). I can totally understand why they're missing, whether it's building to a price point or lack of deck space. But it pretty much forces us to use a PC and X32 Edit, which we were doing with an X32 Core. The problem is: in daytime outdoor events it's just too hard to see the PC (or tablet) screens, regardless of screen brightness or how we try to shade them. Plus, occasionally we have wireless connectivity issues outside, and that of course is a BIG problem when using a remote connection. Lastly, a lot of people want to move faders on a deck and not a device. Even the younger crew seems to prefer real faders.

A "simple" (at least in concept) fix would be to have a new tab on the console display under HOME that displayed virtual scribble strips associated with the active layer. And as far as brightness issues (because of course it's still an LCD screen like any other device), I think we can more easily fabricate an effective sun screen/hood for the 5" display compared to a tablet or laptop.

Anyway, that's my request: a tab showing the current layer's scribble strips

read more...
    0 37
    • NeilForker
      Paul_Vannatto Hi Neil, welcome back. Yes this "new fangled" forum interface is drastically different that the older one (and not for the better IMHO).

It is unfortunate that you got the Producer without realising the missing scribble strips on that particular model. I told them when they first released it that the Producer was a very poor design. Even indoors its a PITA.

Unfortunately, because all X32 models and M32 models share the identical firmware and DSP, I doubt they will add virtual scribble strips to the display.

Regarding the bright outdoor sunlight, what I have done (since I use the X32 Rack and rely on my tablet and laptop) is to use Mixing Station Pro with the High Contrast background and a couple of 3D printed sides that hold the tablet's cover at 90 degrees from the surface. With that, I can mix even in bright sunlight. I also have printed sides for my laptop and the Wing's display and used pieces of masonite (painted black) for the covers.
      • Aug 21
    • NeilForker
      NeilForker

Thanks for the response, Paul. My God, you've been doing this a long time, and it's good to see you're still at it. I hear what you're saying, but I still hope Behringer will consider it. You and I both know this is a product/model detect in the code and the menu can be different for the Producer as opposed to other models, yet the same code can be present in all models. But heck, the feature would be useful on all the models, even if there are scribble strips. Those things can be hard to read sometimes for older folks, and especially if the color is blue. Being able to pop them up on the built-in LCD could be one of those features you never really knew you needed until you have it.

• Aug 22
  • New
    DanO1963
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2021-08-21

Hi, I just bought a X18.. I'm blown away with all the effects available.. and somewhat overwhelmed by the ability to have most anything available without a piece of hardware in a rack!! 

So I have two questions for the professionals out there: 

1. what's the absolute best, must use vocal effect for rich vocals? I know the basics, some kind of reverb and maybe a delay and possibly a light chorus.  What's the best ones to use on the X18 and what settings? 

2.  Is there a way to send the vocal effects to the P-16??  Or assign the effects to one channel and use that channel like an effects loop..  

I also bought several of the P-16M's which after digging into the mixer software I could have probably gotten away with using the sub-buses for monitor and get total control.. but of course that would require each band member to have a tablet and be connected and know how to use the bus sends..  so I think the P-16M is still the best solution for us.  

read more...
    0 30
    • DanO1963
      Paul_Vannatto Hi Dan, here is a compilation of presets someone put together a few years ago
      https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HZD8eAjo3tJHk_5DQV5xa1voYp6Xa9W3/view?usp=sharing

My favorite vocal effects are the
      /EFX Presets/Plate Reverb/Vocal Plate 2.efx
      /EFX Presets/Vintage Reverb/36-BBM Female Vox.efx

Recently Kevin Maxwell tweaked these 2 fx and are in those folders (with the KM prefix)

You can send the FX returns to the P16 by simply assigning the desired FX returns (stereo, which will require 2 P16 channels for each FX returns) to the Ultranet channels of your choice.
      • Aug 21
      • Best vocal effects - must haves
        KevinMaxwell I am not seeing the Vintage under the EFX Presets.
        • Aug 22
    • DanO1963
      Paul_Vannatto Google's zip extractor seems to have an issue - stops at Stereo Flanger. If you click on the download button (top right corner), the downloaded file has all of the folders.
      • Aug 22
  • New
    TURON
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2021-08-20

Bonjour à tous la communauté X 32

J'apprends à utiliser la Behringer X32 et j'arrive pas à remettre en POST FADER mes 6 groupes. Du coup dans le vu Meter Canal mes 6 sont allumés en rouge "PRE".

Merci pour vos lumières précieuses à mon stade d'avancée.

A très vite !

read more...
    1 22
  • New
    audiodef
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2021-08-19

Due to being a klutz, I accidentally overwrote my default studio scene, in which audio from my computer was played through my X32 without taking up any of the main channels. I finally figured out I can route computer USB audio to a pair of aux channels, but I see that in the AUX IN/USB/FX RETURNS section there's actually a pair of channels labelled USBL and USBR. How do I route incoming USB audio back to these channels so I can free up Aux1 and Aux2?

read more...
    0 37
    • audiodef
      Paul_Vannatto It is always best to backup your scenes by exporting to scene files. Regarding your question, those USBL and USBR are inputs from the built-in USB player, not the USB from the card. The most efficient way to bring in a pair of USB channels from the computer is by using the Aux In Remap, as you have probably already did. If you are needing more channels, consider getting a Wing.
      • Aug 19
  • New
    RichOrdell
    Contributor - Level 2
    2021-08-18

Hi all, this is a 2 part question regarding a Behringer X32 rack.

We have had a few strange things happen in the last couple months.  One time the mixer's AES connection to the S16 was not working.  Power cycling the mixer fixed that.  Last gig, the volume of the mains was going up and down, almost like there was heavy compression on the main outputs, but no such dynamic was set.  Would this sound like a general electonics faulire in the works where it's time to discontinue use of that mixer?  It's 8 years old, having been used over 100 times per year.

Anyways, we do have a 2nd one as a backup and we just need to save out the show to stick and load it into the backup.  However, it's my undertanding that the AES routing settings do not copy over when doing this, and the owner of the mixer does not know off the top of his head how to set that up.  Last time he followed a youtube video to do it, but he has to set everything up in his garage to do that.  It would be so much easier to just save the entire contents of the X32 to stick to load it into the backup mixer and be ready to go.  Is this even possible?

Thanks for any help 

read more...
    0 29
    • RichOrdell
      Paul_Vannatto Hi Rich, whoever told you that the AES50 routing "do not copy over" had no clue what he/she was talking about. If whoever told you that didn't get the routing changes, a safe (or safes) was probably enabled that prevented the loading of the routing settings. All routing is included in scene files. If you export the show, all scenes and snippets will be included.

Regarding your issue with your original X32 Rack with the S16, I would first suspect either a setting or the AES50 cable. If you export the scene (you used when it happened) to a file, then save to the cloud, then share the link in your next post, I'll be glad to have a look and better advise.

I have 2 X32 Racks, one of them being the same age as your original (came off the first boat load to the US) which has been used for 60+ events per year (until the pandemic - 6 per year for the last 2 years).
      • Aug 18
    • RichOrdell
      RichOrdell

• Aug 18
    • RichOrdell
      RichOrdell

Well, when we had the problem with the S16, we tried a different cable and it made no difference. When we power cycled the X32, it was back to normal and has been fine since, but then there is the other issue we had last week which was really strange, and another thing that probably won't happen again. Thanks for the info

• Aug 18
    • RichOrdell
      Paul_Vannatto Are you up to date with the X32 Rack and S16 firmware?
      • Aug 18
Go to page