Statistics

285,084 members
166,987 posts
  • ando
    Contributor - Level 1
    2020-06-04

I wonder if its possible to set up a time schedule for scenes or snippets on a x32 rack. My customer wants the audio to change automatically on a specific time. Anyway to do this directly via x32 or is there any 3rd party that will work with for example midi?

// Ando

read more...
    0 76
    • ando
      RexBeckett

Hello @ando , welcome to the community.

The X32 does not have any timer functions for changing scenes/snippets. You could do it with Midi messages through the DIN Midi input or with OSC commands over the network. You would need a time-scheduled task to run a program or script on a PC. e.g. On a Windows PC, you could use the Task Scheduler to run a scipt with Midi-Ox to send Midi messages.

• June 4, 2020
  • AG137
    Contributor - Level 1
    2020-05-29

Hello I have a Midas M32, and am having trouble with operations.

1. Main Feed to far right on the console:    We have set up 12 inputs ( 10 mics and 2 music feeds)) and 6 outputs (bussed properly) to 6 sets of speakers.   All is well with the throughput however, the MAIN slider to the far right is a problem.  It seems that it overrides the bussing of the inputs to outputs.  ie    If we turn of the sliders on all 6 output channels, the main overrides them.   Is this proper?  Also,  the main seems to be necessary to bring all 6 output channels to play sound equally.  In other words without it being up some of the outputs do not produce enough sound.  

2.Effects:  We were able to set up a vintage reverb through #13 for each mic,  but we cannot seem to make 14, 15, nor 16 produce and effected sound.

Note:  We purchased the course video, but it seems to leave out key details. If we watch which buttons are pushed on Davidn's console we can see he is adjusting things but not mentioning them. We have been through the video several times with no success.  

read more...
    0 135
    • AG137
      Paul_Vannatto

Hi Denis @AG137 ,

Welcome to the forum.

For your first issue, the channel sends to the 6 bus pairs are probably post fader (to the channel faders). Change the sends taps to pre-fader, post-EQ etc. 

For your second issue, check that the FX2L to FX4R Main LR are enabled. 

If you are unsure what I'm talking about, export your scene to a file (using the Utility button on the console or Export feature in M32-Edit) and attach it to your next post (Choose file below). That way we can have a look at your setup and better advise.

• May 29, 2020
    • AG137
      AG137

Thx Paul, but unfortunately we have enuf technical expertise to understand your solution.  

For your first issue, the channel sends to the 6 bus pairs are probably post fader (to the channel faders). Change the sends taps to pre-fader, post-EQ etc. 

How is that done?  

For your second issue, check that the FX2L to FX4R Main LR are enabled.    And, this as well? 

If you are unsure what I'm talking about, export your scene to a file (using the Utility button on the console or Export feature in M32-Edit) and attach it to your next post (Choose file below). That way

• May 29, 2020
  • JuliusDawson
    Contributor - Level 1
    2020-06-02

Just purchased XR18. It hasn't arrived yet, but I wanted to make sure I had all the necessary cables/connectors for things to work as smooth as possible. Our church currently uses PMP6000. We have a CD player connected to it via RCA connection. Is it possible to connect the pmp6000 to the XR18?  If not, would I connect a RCA connected device to the XR18? 

Extreme newb, but thanks for your help. 

read more...
    1 91
    • JuliusDawson
      Paul_Vannatto

@JuliusDawson wrote:

We have a CD player connected to it via RCA connection. Is it possible to connect the pmp6000 to the XR18?  If not, would I connect a RCA connected device to the XR18?  

Welcome to the forum Julius. It would be far better to connect the CD player directly to the Line 17/18 using either a couple RCA to 1/4" mono adapters or a dual RCA to 1/4" cable. Once you start using the XR18, you won't want to go back to using the PMP6000.

One thing I noticed is that the PMP6000 is a powered board, meaning that the outputs are for passive speakers. The XR18 outputs are designed to connect to an amp or powered speakers. Do you have those?

• June 2, 2020
  • jwsandersjr
    Contributor - Level 2
    2020-05-25

Hi All:

I've recently volunteered to work into the role of becoming a sound tech / FOH person for my church, Cornerstone United Methodist in Jonesboro, AR. We use an X32 there. I've always been interested in mixing - I started off back in the 70s with a little TEAC Model 2 (6 in 2 out analog) mixer and did some FOH for a contemporary Christian group that my friends started. That was a much bigger board, but still analog. I never really learned about things like sends/returns, busses, etc., pretty much just straight mixing. I am fairly tech savvy and one of my strenghts is "learner" so here I am.

I want to learn more about the X32 and how to use it and want to become good enough that the current folks can go back to their regular "jobs" (like playing lead guitar rather than mixing). I've printed the X32 manual and I'm studying that, however, I feel that sometimes the manual assumes that you have a better than basic knowledge of some of the concepts, so I'm looking for resources to help me. I've already started watching some of the YouTube videos that Drew Brashler has done from NRCC and enjoy those.

One "problem" that I see with trying to learn this is that it seems that "hands on" is almost a requirement so you can see what you do and what happens when you do it. (I could probably book some time on the board outside of a service, but even then, it would appear that you would need a "source" so you can get that sense of cause and effect.)

I feel pretty good with the channel-strip (although I'm sure that there is more to learn there as well). What I'm looking for is more information on mix busses, mute groups, routing, etc. The last thing I want to do is to mess something up during a live service (which right now are all live stream - maybe a little more forgiving - then again, maybe not).

I've already seen one thing that we are doing that probably needs to change sooner rather than later - we are taking the audio for the live stream off the headphone/monitor jack from the side of the board into the live-stream box. My guess is that I should learn to put the LR main into a mix bus and route that to the AUX out 5-6. Right now, I'm sure if we soloed a channel during a service, the live stream would get only that.

So the TLDR version of this is: can someone point me to some basics, either written or video, that would explain most of the concepts that will help me jump start this learning process?

Thanks in advance. I'm looking forward to this.

Jim

read more...
    0 109
    • jwsandersjr
      FBCS

Hello Jim,

I'm going to jump in and answer this based on my similar level of experience and what I have learned so far in searching for what are requesting.

The short answer is there is not one place to find what you are looking for. The board has so many features and capabilities that one written article or video would not do it justice. But you have come to the right place for answers ... after doing a bit of homework.

Search for video tutorials on the basics, watch many different folks showing the same "basics" and you will soon settle onto a few preferred channels. When you are comfortable with the basics of the board, spend time learning how to save a Scene. Very important.

Then carve out time to spend on the board. First SAVE the scene that is on the board so that you can put it back the way you found it. Very important when learning, failing this you will find yourself in an accelerated course to put the board back as it was before next Sunday (unless you have folks that know the board at your Church), I didn't.

Then play with the board. Its going to take methodical practice, take notes or watch videos while at the board. Focus on getting the basics down first, then move on to the next level. It's like any musical instrument, you can watch or read as much as you like but until you play with the instrument and then practice it will not stick as well.

From your message, my guess is that someone at your location already knows how to setup and mix your service. If so ask them for tips or a hands-on training session when they are working the board. Doesn't mean that's the only way or the correct way to do it but it is one way that already works for your setup. Your learning will help you add to the knowledge base.

Have fun, its a digital board so save the scene and play around listening to what changed and what works. Use your phone as a music source if you have to.  Stay away from routing for now.

• May 31, 2020
    • jwsandersjr
      jpearce

@jwsandersjr wrote:

Hi All:

I've recently volunteered to work into the role of becoming a sound tech / FOH person for my church, Cornerstone United Methodist in Jonesboro, AR. We use an X32 there. I've always been interested in mixing - I started off back in the 70s with a little TEAC Model 2 (6 in 2 out analog) mixer and did some FOH for a contemporary Christian group that my friends started. That was a much bigger board, but still analog. I never really learned about things like sends/returns, busses, etc., pretty much just straight mixing. I am fairly tech savvy and one of my strenghts is "learner" so here I am.

I want to learn more about the X32 and how to use it and want to become good enough that the current folks can go back to their regular "jobs" (like playing lead guitar rather than mixing). I've printed the X32 manual and I'm studying that, however, I feel that sometimes the manual assumes that you have a better than basic knowledge of some of the concepts, so I'm looking for resources to help me. I've already started watching some of the YouTube videos that Drew Brashler has done from NRCC and enjoy those.

One "problem" that I see with trying to learn this is that it seems that "hands on" is almost a requirement so you can see what you do and what happens when you do it. (I could probably book some time on the board outside of a service, but even then, it would appear that you would need a "source" so you can get that sense of cause and effect.)

I feel pretty good with the channel-strip (although I'm sure that there is more to learn there as well). What I'm looking for is more information on mix busses, mute groups, routing, etc. The last thing I want to do is to mess something up during a live service (which right now are all live stream - maybe a little more forgiving - then again, maybe not).

I've already seen one thing that we are doing that probably needs to change sooner rather than later - we are taking the audio for the live stream off the headphone/monitor jack from the side of the board into the live-stream box. My guess is that I should learn to put the LR main into a mix bus and route that to the AUX out 5-6. Right now, I'm sure if we soloed a channel during a service, the live stream would get only that.

So the TLDR version of this is: can someone point me to some basics, either written or video, that would explain most of the concepts that will help me jump start this learning process?

Thanks in advance. I'm looking forward to this.

Jim

I'd recommend Kade's collaborate worship X32 mastery course.  Our church purchased the one time unlimited users access course for few hundred bucks total teaches everything and all our team hit the ground running.  It has concise video tutorials in a very nice portal where it saves your progress.  It's a great way to keep track of people who want to join tech team to see if they've finished the course yet. We have been very happy with it and Kade responds to direct messages with any specific questions as well.

Here's the link:

https://academy.collaborateworship.com/courses/x32-course

• May 31, 2020
    • jwsandersjr
      ac6sx1

Just a comment about your live stream situation.

You're right, taking the phones jack out to the live stream box is not a good solution.

But using the main mix (FOH) for live stream is a bad idea too. What you hear FOH is a combination of what you hear from the stage along with what you add with the mixer. Since it's likely that you have live guitar amps and acoustic drums on the stage, you're probably going to get an extremely vocal heavy mix if you just bus the mains to your live stream box.

The best solution is to use a second mixer connected via AES50 running in another room that is acoustically isolated from the sanctuary. That second board would feed the live stream with a completely different mix tailored for on-line listening. Different effects, EQ, compression, panning, etc.

You're likely running FOH mono or very narrow stereo since you don't want people on one side of the room hearing a different mix than the other side. An on-line mix should be stereo. It sounds so much better. A good second engineer with a dedicated mixer will make your live stream sound great!

At my church, we don't have the budget for a second board. What we do is mix the live stream off a stereo linked pair of bus channels. We run audio cables from those bus channels into the live stream mixing room from a pair of aux outs, and another pair of aux outs with the same bus signal is routed to the live stream box. Our live stream engineer is connected via WiFi with a laptop running the X-32 Edit software, and he/she mixes the live steam using only that bus layer in the software. Our live stream engineer must be careful to never do anything that affects other layers. You don't want the live stream engineer changing the FOH mix!

The main drawback to this technique is the live stream is purely a volume balancing mix. The individual channels must use the same EQ, Gate, and Compression as the FOH mix. But you can pan the channels in the bus independent of the FOH panning, and the stereo field will give you a lot of room to do a decent mix. We're even running different vocal effects in the live stream bus signal since we don't have the acoustic sound of the sanctuary coming in to our live stream to color the sound.

I'm self trained, so I figured all this stuff out through trial and error. It's working pretty well though. Good luck with yours.

--Mike

• May 31, 2020
    • jwsandersjr
      jwsandersjr

I'm fairly new to this church, but I'm also fairly certain that we don't have the resources for a second mixer. I did think that creating a LR MixBus and then routing that Bus to the Aux out.

I don't think that the mix will be too heavy on vocals as our drum kit is electronic and the guitars (bass, acoustic, and electric) are all going through direct boxes - i.e., there is no amp that the guitars are using, so those instruments are already in the mix.

For me, the difficult part of this is not getting enough opportunity to "play" with the board in a real/live situation. Currently the praise band is only rehearsing the hour before the service time, so that's all the time I have to try and figure things out. I have downloaded the X32-edit app, which does allow me to see how the current board is configured, but it is hard to understand some of the things I need to learn without a source and real board in front of me. Still it is a fun challenge. I'm glad to have found this community as I can see it will be a great source of help and ideas.

• June 1, 2020
  • garygarris
    Contributor - Level 1
    2020-06-01

Here's my challenge. I would like to use Protools to tune my singers vocals live. While I know that latency is an issue (we are using one console for FOH and monitors )I want to know how to route certain channels from the x32 (ie 17, 18 and 19) into Protools and back to the console tuned.  My plan is to leave the pretuned vocals on the console for the monitors and route the output of Protools with tuned vocals back for the house on the aux ins of the x32. I've got the outputs routed but how do I assign channel 17 to input 1 on Protools, etc? 

Thanks

read more...
    1 129
    • garygarris
      RexBeckett

@garygarris 

The USB Sends are configured on the Routing -> Card tab. By default local inputs 1-32 are routed to USB 1-32. You should be able to select the required channels in Pro Tools. You could change the routing to have specific console inputs  on different USB ends if required.

If you need help with the console routing, export the current scene and attach the .scn file to your post (see Choose File button below).

• June 1, 2020
  • LeoJMorales
    Contributor - Level 1
    2020-06-01

Hello everyone! 

Our church recently upgraded to the Waves Impact Server for the M32. 

How do we control panning when using card 1-32 inputs? 

I am unable to change the panning on the console when using Waves Super Rack. 

I am able to change the gain using the pre-amps tab but no control of panning. 

Please help! 

read more...
    1 68
    • LeoJMorales
      GaryHiggins

@LeoJMorales 

Hello, sounds like maybe your tap points are pre everything, perhaps using "local" as the output source? I am unfamiliar with how the Waves server works but it sounds like that's what is happening, or similar.

• June 1, 2020
  • Dasato
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2020-05-31

Is there a way to have completly seperate mixes to mains and bus?

I would like to have mains go to our live house sound and Bus1 over usb to our live stream. It seems that if I lower the volume of the main mix, it also lower the volume in the bus. Any way to completly seperate these two? Any other ideas how to set this up?

Thanks

read more...
    1 77
    • Dasato
      GaryHiggins

@Dasato 

Hello, this should work. Perhaps some more details on what is being sent on your bus and how it is being routed to usb? Are you sending a different independent mix using the bus? Is the bus set pre fader? Perhaps you could post a copy of the mixer file (snap file) for us to look at, it might be easier to sort out. 

• May 31, 2020
  • LPLuisSilva
    Contributor - Level 1
    2020-05-30

I've updated my Beringher X32 and didn't saved my scenes, honestly didn't know... If I downgrade will it restore to my last setting? Pls let me know asap 

1 93
  • FBCS
    Contributor - Level 2
    2020-05-28

First off, thanks Paul for helping us route 2-channels out from X32-Compact USB out, to PC for streaming. Since then I managed to get 2 channels back from the PC to the X32 - can't really say how I did that, but it worked.

We would like the ability to record our channels (plus our streaming outputs) via the X32 USB on to the PC, so we can do virtual sound checks and/or mix a prelude for example so we can play it back during livestreaming. We don't have a DAW yet but was thinking of starting with the Logic Pro freebie for now.

Also, is there a way to arrange the channels so we don't have to keep flipping through the fader banks?

Attached scene file of what we have routed now.

Thanks, Al

5-26-20.scn
    read more...
    0 177
    • FBCS
      FBCS

Ok let me reword this:

How do I route all the channels out the USB card to the PC for multitrack recording? And keep the two live stream outputs unchanged.

• May 29, 2020
    • FBCS
      Paul_Vannatto

Hi Al @FBCS ,

You forgot to attach your current scene file, and I honestly don't remember how it was previously setup. Attach the scene file and I'll have a look and better advise.

• May 29, 2020
    • FBCS
      FBCS

Paul, the scene file is attached in the original post above. 

• May 29, 2020
    • FBCS
      FBCS

I'm trying to attach it again via "smart" phone

5-26-20.scn
      • May 29, 2020
    • FBCS
      Paul_Vannatto

Hi Al @FBCS ,

First I fixed the spread out channels using Scene Parser's channel arranger tool, which generated a snippet that I imported into X32-Edit and applied it to your existing scene. That brought all of the channel strips to the first 14 channel strips (keeping the channel sources intact). 

Since you are already using USB 1/2 for your streaming needs, you will need to start your DAW inputs at USB 9 and go to USB 22 in order to properly map the channels back when you want to do a soundcheck (since input and card assignments are in banks of 8). I used the Routing, Ultranet to individually assign the channel strips (pre-EQ), then assign those to the Routing, card 2nd and 3rd bank of 8 (USB 9-24). 

Not sure why you want to record the streaming output. But it can be recorded in your DAW using USB 1/2. 

Attached is the fixed scene file and the snippet that I used to rearrange the channels.

5-26-20-fixed.zip
      • May 29, 2020
  • spareroomstudio
    Contributor - Level 2
    2020-05-30

Hi folks. Having a new issue with X32.  let me explain and see if you can help out. We are using the X32 console for FOH, and the X32 rack on stage for IEM's.  We also have the S16 stage box for all instruments and mic's coming back to the main console.  The Main Console is setup on Bus 1-11 for all the IEM's.  We recently had to do some stage work and had to power everything off and move some cables around.  So even though we believe everything is plugged back in correctly there seems to be no communication for the Buses back to the X32 rack.  The B section also is not showing the box checked/green, and every so often flashes n/n (which I presume is no communications).  We ran several cables directly from the console to the x32 rack to make sure it was not a bad cable. Still no communications to the rack.  We have not changed any of the scenes on the main console (at least that we are aware of).   We are at a loss in what to do next.  Without the X32 rack, our worship team has no IEM's.  Any information on steps we can take to get the two talking to each other again would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. 

read more...
    0 113
    • spareroomstudio
      Paul_Vannatto

Hi Chuck @spareroomstudio ,

Check the X32 Rack (Setup, config screen) to make sure that the syncronization is not on Internal. It should be set to the  AES50 port that is being used on the Rack to connect to the X32 FOH.

• May 30, 2020
Go to page