Statistics

242,680 members
119,075 posts
  • DuaneYates
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-04-19

Hi,

i have a questin about using the card for a virtual soundcheck.  I am hoping someone knows a routing trick to be able to use Live Professor or Waves Mulitrack as part of the virtual soundcheck.  I just received my xlive card, but then had to leave town for a few days so I haven’t been able to trial anything.  I understand the routing from the card to the channels to do a virtual recording.  But I would like to be able to adjust the plugins based on the virtual sound playback.  I read that the USB port could be used for playback, and that the USB and SD card can be used at the same time, so hopefully that will mean I can route the “card outs” to the multi rack,  and the playback will come back to the channels if I select the card as the inputs?  Or can I somehow use the P16 ins and outs?  Virtually?   Any help would be great.  For playing live, I am set up to run through the mulitrack no problem with all the inputs going to the card, and all the channels receiving from the card coming back.  That works.  I just want to be able to hear the effects in the sound check.  We are a smaller band playing smalle venues, and I play bass and do sound from stage.  I am fortunate enough to play with a drummer using the Roland D-50 stuff, I run direct, keyboards direct, and just the guitar who has a small amp pointed at himself.  So for the most part, I am very much looking forward to the virtual sound checks.  And I thought I would try some of the awesome waves plugins as well.  

Thanks,

read more...
    0 446
    • DuaneYates
      Paul_Vannatto

Hi @DuaneYates,

I don't think that is possible. The reason is that the X-Live card has a setting for Playback mode: SD Card or USB. If you record the channels to the SD Card for future virtual soundcheck, you would have to set playback mode to SD Card. That will send the tracks to the respective channel strips (if Routing, home (playback mode) are assigned card 1-8, 9-16, etc.). The same signals from the SD card can also be sent out the USB to computer (Routing, card out -> assign card 1-8, 9-16, etc. allowing Live Professor or Waves to input them. But there is no way to get the return from USB, since you are playing from the SD cards. The X-Live can only play from one or the other (SD Cards or USB).

• April 19, 2019
    • DuaneYates
      DuaneYates

Thanks Paul.  I respect your response as I have read many of them on here.  I will look into the DAW alternative.  I was just hoping to keep the computer working as little as possible.  And some concerns with the input gains maybe being different between the virtual sound check and the channels, routed to multirack.

I also had some hope when I saw this in the Q&A section for Xlive:

“Q: Can I use both the USB and sdcard at the same time?
      A: Yes, this is possible. Please note that both the USB and sdcard share the same routing. There is a special function to select if playback should come from USB or sdcard, leaving you with some extra routing functionality.”

So I will play a little when I return home, but my expectations are lower now.  I do know I can get it done with a DAW and software to route things in the computer.  (Jack I think it is?).  Tracks live looks pretty light on the system and was designed just for this kind of thing and for “live” use.  If I have any real breakthroughs I will certainly update here.

Thanks again.

• April 19, 2019
    • DuaneYates
      Paul_Vannatto

Hi @DuaneYates,

The key word is "There is a special function to select if playback should come from USB OR sdcard, leaving you with some extra routing functionality.” Unfortunately that is not AND. What you are wanting to do (virtual soundcheck and external channel processing) requires 2 playback. 

I can think of another alternative to your DAW solution. If you have 2 consoles (X32 and/or M32) you could use one with the X-Live card (using the SD cards) and the other with X-USB card for Live Professor or Waves. With some creative routing, it is possible to accomplish what you want to do.

• April 19, 2019
    • DuaneYates
      DuaneYates

I guess I was hoping that I could send to DAW, and if I set playback to USB it would just magically come back. But I like your idea. I like having a good reason to buy another board!

Do you know much about the X-WSG card?  It looks like that does more routing?  I will look into that. But would be great to have another board for more than just this operation. I was thinking of another unit instead of a digital stage box. I use the rack and 2 rack units would be nice to have. And very useful. 

• April 19, 2019
    • DuaneYates
      Roblof I am not sure of how do you intend to use this setup? You talk about virtual soudcheck and external plugin support. Does this mean that you want to perform VS and that you are using plugins live?

LiveProfessor and MultiRack are quite different in that MultiRack only supports Waves own plugins while LiveProfessor can use any vst-plugin it likes. X-wsg makes more sense using Waves soundgrid servers than standalone. Without the server the x-wsg will act as a networked audio interface, similar to dante. But, depending on your application and money an extra x32-rack or similar would make more sense, I think.
      • April 19, 2019
  • RickyThomas
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-01-14
    What are the differences between the x-live and the dn32-live and why would music tribe make 2 of the same card under 2 different daughter companies. Is one better than the other?
    0 815
    • RickyThomas
      GaryHiggins They are the same, can't say why they make 2, perhaps some people prefer one name over another. In some cases I have noticed, where 2 versions of the same card exist, there is a price difference, but not so here, both are $199 in the USA.
      • January 15, 2019
    • RickyThomas
      Roblof I think that the KT branded card has a 10yr warranty compared to up to 3yrs for the behringer branded card.
      • January 15, 2019
    • RickyThomas
      CrookStewartIII I installed an X-Live in my M32 and it isn't showing up on the screen of the M32 but shows up in the iPad app and is functional.
      • November 4, 2020
      • x-live vs. dn32-live
        GaryHiggins I have an X-Live in my M32 and it shows up as far as I know? Perhaps a setting in the mixer itself is not quite right? I will double check it tomorrow. Latest firmware for both?
        • November 4, 2020
  • Em1ly
    Triber
    2019-03-14

Here are some highlights of the ULTRAVOICE XM1800S

1 95
  • Em1ly
    Triber
    2019-03-14

1 100
  • jterps
    Contributor - Level 1
    2020-05-06

We have a very simple setup and I am a complete amateur.  I haven't been able to find a definitive answser for my question..

We have an XR18 mixer located in a room behind the pulpit.  We have ethernet cables connecting a workstation at the back of the church to run the sound - and it works well for us.  

We are wanting to get sound from the XR18 to the sound station at the back of the church to connect to a laptop with OBS and to record services. Plus we are considering an X-Touch for a little more tactile feeling for our volunteer sound people.

Is there an easy way to do this?  It's 50', so USB doesn't seem like a good idea.  Can a 50' Midi cable get sound to the back?  Will i need to get another long XLR cable and a sound card adapter?

I'm sure the answer is out there somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it..

Thanks!

read more...
    0 67
    • jterps
      DaveMorrison

@jterps 

You want to connect the X-Touch (located behind the audience) to the XR18 (behind the stage/pulpit). Ethernet is the best choice. The full sized X-Touch has Ethernet and it works very well with XR18. The other models of X-Touch are much harder to connect (and they don't work as well, if at all). MIDI at that distance sometimes works (and sometimes not); plus you would need two cables for in and out. 

• May 6, 2020
    • jterps
      KyleJohnson

@jterps 

Kyle here from Music Tribe. One other thing to note here for your broadcast. A 50 foot USB cable will be an issue. USB 2.0 has a recommended maximum cable length of about 12 feet. Any longer and you will have dropouts/distortion or just no connection at all. I recommend trying to put the recording/broadcast computer closer to the XR18. 

The MIDI ports on the XR18 will not pass audio over any distance. 

• May 6, 2020
    • jterps
      HartmutLeyendec I run a similar arrangement in a seminar room. I have used a USB to Cat5 converter from ATEN. You will need to look for a model that supports a higher data rate if you want to transmit 18 channels. I do not remember the part number.
      • November 4, 2020
  • JeffClarke1
    Contributor - Level 3
    2020-10-03

Using an X32 in a church, the on-desk USB Socket for service recording is very useful!

Prior to the Covid-19 lockdown we simply needed the sermons to be uploaded to the church website, after processing to .mp3.

Now that something like "nearly-normal" services are being resumed, there are a number of members who, for various reasons, still feel uneasy about returning to church.  As a result the decision was made that the (already-shorter) complete service would be recorded and then uploaded to the website.

Al recordings prior to the lockdown, were "perfect" and only failed through operator-error, e.g. forgetting to Stop the recording before the console was switched off, so producing a 0 byte file! 

Since the resumption of services a problem has manifested itself: specifically, the recording stops, randomly, without any operator action or intervention and any file is reported as 0 bytes.  Sometimes this will happen once, e.g. last Sunday the recording was started deliberately early, within less than two minutes it had stopped, a subsequent restart  was initiated and the recording continued successfully to the end of the service.  On other occasions, e.g. the music group rehearsal last Thursday evening, there were at least three times when the recording stopped, each time with a 0 byte file.

I raised this as a support issue with Behringer, asking for suggestions to avoid this random stopping of the record process, only to receive a link to a page where the process to retrieve a 0 byte file is given.  I pointed out that I did not want that particular information, helpful as it might be, but guidance on how to avoid a full service recording being puctuated by gaps where the recording stopped and being dependent on the operator noticing the stop and immediately restarting the recording.

I have verified that this is not an issue with the particular USB Memory Sticks being used.  Both are 32 GB, different manufacturers and both have passed a soak test of writing test data to completely fill them and then verifying the recording by playing back and reading the data.  (I used a very usefull utility called "h2testw" for this.)

So, after a somewhat lengthy preamble (sorry about that): does anyone have any similar experience or advice to offer how this problem may be corrected and/or avoided?

TIA

Jeff

read more...
    0 134
    • JeffClarke1
      JeffClarke1 Thought I would update this thread, with the solution to the problem, found after several email messages with Behringer Support UK.

Although Support never actually confirmed this, it would seem that, with the introduction of v4 Firmware, there is now a requirement to use a USB 3 Memory Stick. Doing so has enabled us to successfully record recent services without problem.

Jeff
      • October 29, 2020
      • X32 USB Record Socket failing?
        VictorRusso Hey Jeff, are you still having this issue? Seem to be having the same issue, regardless of usb 2 or usb 3 (using usb 3 today and it failed mid sermon, subsequent restart seems to go for at least a good amount of time). Music Tribe, is there a fix for this issue or do we need to work on an alternative?
        • Feb 7
  • rclh57
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2020-10-07

Can I use my XR16 to connect to an SD-8 or SD-16 that I want to put remotely by our church's old sound panel where the mics come in and the amps are?

Many thanks, 

Robin

0 52
    • rclh57
      RexBeckett Hi Robin, the XR16 does not support AES50 so cannot connect to an SD8 or SD16 stagebox. It may be better to consider an X32 Rack for this project.
      • October 7, 2020
  • Lake
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2020-09-28
    Mercedes Me Store Hong Kong - Audio powered by Music Tribe brand partners Lab Gruppen and Tannoy
    Mercedes-Benz created a brand new retail and dining concept in the heart of Hong Kong's Central district. Sound is delivered by Tannoy. Power is provided by brand partner Lab.gruppen

Precision Control at Your Fingertips.

read more...
    1 49
  • jwsandersjr
    Contributor - Level 2
    2020-09-14

I'm running an X32 with the V4.02 firmware. I have a question about the display on the home screen when a channel is selected. On "home" there are small graphic versions for Gate, Dynamics and EQ. I thought I had seen these smaller graphs actually work (or be active, i.e., the "square" would move along the graph line in the gate display, similar to what is shown on the Gate tab). Recently these don't seem to be moving. I thought I had seen a post from someone else that might have mentioned such an issue but I cannot find that anywhere? Is this a known issue and is there a solution, or am I incorrect on the display?

read more...
    0 68
    • jwsandersjr
      john0121 Hi Jim, I just checked this on my M32R and the smaller graphics on a Channels home screen do reflect the processing. Could you fill out a tech support case via the Support button and go through some troubleshooting with the team?
      • September 14, 2020
      • Home Screen display of Gate, Dyn and EQ
        jwsandersjr Thanks, John ... will do. I usually only have access to the board on Wednesdays and Sundays, so it might be a while. Other than the serial number, what else should I grab while I'm there? Any files needed and if so which ones?
        • September 15, 2020
        john0121 If you could send a video showing the problem and a copy of the scene/show file your using that would be fine thanks
        • September 16, 2020
        jwsandersjr Thanks, I'll get a video on Sunday, but will open the ticket today. Can you suggest a "title" or "subject line" for my request that would best help tech support understand what I'm asking?
        • September 17, 2020
        john0121 just use the title and description from your original post and a team member in your region will pick it up Monday
        • September 17, 2020
  • hppygo
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2020-09-09

Designing a system for a bar restaurant.  Have a totol of 9 zones with 6 fixed inputs and a snake for band performances.  Can I use the X32 as both a sound board for the band and setup output zones with remote zone controllers (tablets in each location to selcect source and volume level) for the restaurant and multiple bars?  

I haven't worked with the X32, but am guessing I can program the output Zones, just don't know if I can program mutliple tablets to control only certian functions such as selectiing source and controlling volume for each zone. 

How many different tablets can control the X32 at the same time?  

Can the tablets be programed or locked into specific function of the X32? 

read more...
    0 47
    • hppygo
      KyleJohnson Hello, Kyle here with Music Tribe. Short answer, yes. The X32 has 16 mix busses as well as 6 matrix busses, so you can easily setup outputs for different zones. There are multiple apps you could use, the X32 app for iPad gives you full control over the console for mixing FOH. You could also use the MX-Q app for your zones, MX-Q is designed for performers to mix their monitors, but at it's core it really gives the user control over 1-2 bus mixes. So you could send busses to your zones and have an iPad or iPhone setup to control that zone with the MX-Q app. You could also control the separate mixes for each zone using the main X32 app from FOH.

It's a fairly easy setup, just creating bus mixes and routing them to outputs. Or sending your main LR mix to Matrix channels, and routing those Matrix channels to outputs.

You would need a wireless router connected to the X32, and then connect your mobile device(s) to the router as well.
      • September 9, 2020
Go to page