Statistics

285,086 members
166,989 posts
  • Thumbshifter
    Contributor - Level 2
    2011-11-19
    I just bought a V-Twin rackmount on a whim (I have access to a pedal and love it) and I wondered if anyone's running one in a G-System rack. To be honest, now I have the V-Twin Rack, I'm not quite sure what to do with it. I could run it as a home studio preamp I'm sure, but I could also rack my G (which I currently run on the floor with pedals at the moment - and straight into the front of my Lone Star) - or it could sit and gather dust while being quite a fine bit of engineering...

Suggestions/comments welcome...
    read more...
    0 1,264
  • Tebi
    Contributor - Level 2
    2011-11-11
    Hi I have problems with my nova I can not make the update to the version 1.2 Im still in 1.13 can you help me please ?
    0 3,549
    • Tebi
      jwoertz What have you done so far? We need lots more information to be able to help you.

Tebi wrote:

Hi I have problems with my nova I can not make the update to the version 1.2 Im still in 1.13 can you help me please ?
      • November 13, 2011
    • Tebi
      Tebi Hi I use one of this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001LJUVO4/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d2_g23_i4?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-5&pf_rd_r=1532XA0KJSNG013VX56Y&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470939291&pf_rd_i=507846

cable to upgrade the Nova System but could not even update. I downloaded from TC web page but the program still does not work
      • November 13, 2011
    • Tebi
      jwoertz Are the little lights on the USB MIDI device blinking? Again, we need much more information. Don't make us guess, tell us all the necessary info to help you!
      • November 14, 2011
    • Tebi
      Tebi There is two lights one that is red and one that is green when it starts to give the information to the Nova System from the computer both the green blink and red light remains static does not blink, the green starts flashing but does not the light that says midi never blink. when I turn it off again to see if he could download the information to the Nova tells me that are in version 1.13. No update, after I disconnect the power supply for 10 seconds as the instructions say it does not work. I always choose the option that says USB2.0-midi or I choose MIDIOUT2(USB2.0-MIDI) but booth did not working

I dont know If you need more information please do not hesitate to let me know
      • November 14, 2011
    • Tebi
      Tebi My computer has a Windows 7 Ultimate. I have a Line6 Spider amp
      • November 14, 2011
  • dinoman
    Contributor - Level 2
    2011-11-15
    I saved up 80 bucks and went to get my TRS cables for the 4CM I had horrid HUM except when I touched my computer mouse for some reason it lowers the hum if I touch it lol
    ANYWAY
    I plugged in the TRS in 4CM and still got the same hum didn't help at all.

Maybe its my Fender Deville's effects loop that might be wired badly.

I only used the TRS cables not a snake but the guy said it would be the same as if I have a snake IS THAT TRUE?

Maybe I need a EBtech H2 ??? I just have a planet waves guitar cable for guitar to Gsys
    then LIVE-WIRE TRS 1/4 cables doing the other 3 connections for 4CM no pedals

I guess I will try to find an amp with good effects loop to see if it makes a difference Maybe try to buy ebtech H2
    read more...
    0 1,840
    • dinoman
      neilbunker

dinoman wrote:

I only used the TRS cables not a snake but the guy said it would be the same as if I have a snake IS THAT TRUE?

A snake is just several cables all in one bundle. So other than the convenience of having all the cables in one, there isn't much difference.

dinoman wrote:

Maybe I need a EBtech H2 ??? I just have a planet waves guitar cable for guitar to Gsys

then LIVE-WIRE TRS 1/4 cables doing the other 3 connections for 4CM no pedals

I would think that the hum eliminator would most likely help. You should really try following the set-up directions in Laird's White Paper to be sure where the noise is coming from, though. If your pickups are picking up 60 cycle hum from your surroundings, the hum eliminator will not help. Following the directions on configuring the front end and back end of the amp will help you narrow down where your problem is. If the problem is a ground loop between your amp and the G-system, then the hum eliminator will help. If that isn't the problem, it probably won't.
      • November 15, 2011
    • dinoman
      mrr3000gt I am using a G system with a Marshall DSL and sometimes on a Fender Twin. I bought a Guitar Center brand TRS snake and it allowed me to squeeze the last 10% of tone out of my rig. Best 40 bucks I ever spent on making a rig sounding better.

They really do help - the hum has to be a ground loop, ambient noise, power noise, or the amp itself.
      • November 18, 2011
  • pedroandresgome
    Contributor - Level 1
    2011-11-16
    I set up the Doubler like this:
    Delay: 30 ms
    Pitch: 20
    Side: Left
    Outlev: 0dB
    ...And i store it... when i goes to another preset, and return to the doubler one, Pitch is set in 12, not in 20 as i store it.
    Actually sometimes happened in delay too...
    I have just 4 months with my new G-System, so...
    Thanks.
    read more...
    0 946
    • pedroandresgome
      neilbunker Make sure that there is not a pedal assigned to control any pitch or delay parameters in the modifiers menu.

Go to your patch, press "edit", press "pitch", then press "enter" to go to the modifiers menu. All parameters should be set to "None". If there are any set to "exp" or "vol", the G will substitute the position of the pedal for that parameter, which will override any manual settings.
      • November 18, 2011
  • dinoman
    Contributor - Level 2
    2011-11-16
    I have a sinking feeling all my noise is from my effects loop being wired too hot or not matching the Gsys.
    But I need to gig and I wanted to use the amps preamp but I also found that the fender deville switching is not the kind I can just plug and play. So I have noise and no switching. and no more money hehe

I am thinking about using my old LINE6 XTlive and my preamp in the INSERT of Gsys then running it all into my amps power amp IN so it would be

Guitar>Gsys>line6 ampmodel in the INSERT> power amp IN to fender

Thoughts?

ALSO I would try to change LINE6 amp models from the Gsys midi. Possible?
    read more...
    0 1,178
    • dinoman
      neilbunker Theoretically this would work fine, but you may end up with even more noise by adding another device to the rig. You add potential for even more ground loops. That being said, it's certainly worth a try. If you do try this, I would turn off the cabinet models in the Line 6.

Having read some of your previous postings about your noise problems, I would guess that your problem is ground loops, and not loop level or impedance issues. Generally speaking on what I've read on the forum, ground loops cause hum, where impedance mismatches tend to cause hiss. Are you having to use extreme settings in the Global Levels menu to make your rig the same volume with and without the G?

As far as the MIDI switching goes, maybe someone with experience integrating that preamp will chime in, I'm not familiar with it.
      • November 18, 2011
  • TiagoMosh
    Contributor - Level 2
    2011-11-16
    Hi friends, I'm new on this forum.
    I recently bought this rig and can not understand some connections.

1: I want to connect my G Force in the loop of my Mesa Road King 2 (it has a series loop)

2: In the GCX I need to connect all of my pedal stompboxes, the 4 channels switch of Mesa and the G Force.

3: Ground Control (Voodoo Lab) comanding all of it. (the channel switch of Mesa, the stompboxes loops and recalling presets of G Force.

Please, can someone help me with this?

I've read all these topics and found nothing enlightening about this connection.

Could anyone post something step by step, from the cabling to the MIDI configuration of the G Force/Ground Control (this one where I have more questions, I used analog pedals for a long time)

I thank for the help, greetings from Brazil
    read more...
    0 3,594
    • TiagoMosh
      TiagoMosh Nobody?

C'mon brothers...
      • November 16, 2011
    • TiagoMosh
      LegGodt Step by step instructions? That is a tall order. I have a similar set-up and it was built over a few yrs and I was able to get used to each piece one at a time. That being said, I would suggest you start hooking things up one at a time.

I would start with the Road King and G-Force. Get it connected and make sure you are happy with the tone and the effects.

Then add the MIDI controller to make sure you can 'talk' to the G-Force.

After that add the GCX and get it switching channels on the Road King.

Finally add the pedals. This process could take a few hours, up to a few days or more.

Using this method you can learn how to use the gear and pin point problems you are having with getting it all working step by step, one at a time. If you are still having a problem you can look for help on just that one problem.

I don't think asking for a step by step instruction guide on how to hook up all your equipment is going to get you anywhere. Besides, there are several if not hundreds of variations on how to connect all this gear and the final configuration is ultimatley up to the user.

So do some reading, play around with the gear, make mistakes, and learn how to use it all.

Good luck!!!
      • November 18, 2011
  • LaurentJoulzy
    Contributor - Level 2
    2011-11-18
    Dear TC Electronic and Nova System users,

I use the Midi Map Out feature a lot to associate a pre-defined Nova Drive Preset to each Nova System Preset.

Unfortunately, this is a bit boring to configure . Here is what you need to do for one preset :
    - Press Menu
    - Turn a knob to reach the Midi menu
    - Press Menu again
    - Turn a knob four times to reach the mapping table (Map Out)
    - Turn another knob many times to select your current NS preset (if you remember your current preset number, else press Menu and repeast the whole sequence )
    - Finally turn another knob to select the Midi Out value.

I see a few ways to make this feature a bit more user-friendly :

- When the Map Out table is reached, position it directly on the current preset.

- When saving an existing Nova System preset to another location, copy the associated Map Out value for the new location. Would save a lot of time when reorganising your presets, or even creating new ones (who starts from nothing when making a new preset ?...).

- Once the Map Out feature is activated, make the mapping table available higher in the menu hierarchy, without having to press and turn so many buttons...

- any ideas ?...

Please implement at least the first and second one !! Would save a lot of time....
    Thanks in advance !

Laurent
    read more...
    0 1,420
  • crazydave
    Contributor - Level 1
    2011-11-17
    Hi All!

This is my first message on the forum but I have been lurking getting a lot of good information.

I am interested in getting some ideas on how I can run a mesa boogie dual rectifier (older model) and a matchless independence at the same time as a stereo rig while still being able to channel switch from the G-System.
    Matchaboogie? Mesaless? I think the second one happens when I keep spending money on gear!

Would be interested in hearing from anyone running their G-System with two amps. Should I run one wet and one dry? Or run both wet? I am using a 4x12 cab to run both at the moment but will look to add another cab in the future

Also regarding channel switching my ultimate goal is to switch both amps channels with one click. From the look of the hook up guide on the tc site it looks like the older model recto causes an issue with its 1/4j jacks and hence only two relays from the tc can be used. I am considering something like the Voodoo Lab Control Switcher to run the system ... 1,2, and 3 into the mesa 1/4 jacks on the back and 4 into the matchless footswitch jack on the front and then control switching with midi?

Any advice will be most helpful

From the hook up guide:

The current Multi Watt Rectifiers (Reborn series) have been simplified when it comes to the external switching layout. You can now utilize a Y-cable connection. The same applies to other newer Mesa Boogie amps. Double check with Mesa Boogie to confirm whether this is the case for your specific amp.

The following answer applies to these models: (older)Dual and Triple Rectifier, Rectoverb, Lone Star and Lone Star Special, Solo 50, Roadking, Express.

According to Mesa Boogie Tech dept, these units require an isolated ground connection for each of the rear panel 1/4
    read more...
    0 1,479
  • dinoman
    Contributor - Level 2
    2011-11-16
    Did I read somewhere you can use a TRS cable as a midi cable too somehow?
    I would have bet money I did but cant find it.

I would think you had to have some converter since they jack is not compatible.
    0 2,307
  • dinoman
    Contributor - Level 2
    2011-11-16
    I am new to MIDI but I was wishing that I can send a patch change to a midi preamp in my INSERT but it seems like I can not do this PER preset its either on or off. I just want one Gsystem patch to change my preamp channel. Can I do this?
    0 1,928
    • dinoman
      Laird_Williams

dinoman wrote:

I am new to MIDI but I was wishing that I can send a patch change to a midi preamp in my INSERT but it seems like I can not do this PER preset its either on or off. I just want one Gsystem patch to change my preamp channel. Can I do this?

yes - you can do this. You need to understand the G-System MIDI configuration and MIDI in general.

Start with section 3.2 of the G-System configuration white paper - which can be found here:

http://www.guitaraffair.com/g-system-support.php
      • November 16, 2011
    • dinoman
      dinoman Thanks!

I did read that but it was not clear Sometimes it takes me reading something 3 or 4 time LOL

I plan on reading it more for sure!

I am glad to know that I will be able to set ANY Gsys patch so it will change to ANY preamp patch I want.

As I was playing with it it looked like it was only going to shadow me on every patch as in

00-1 made my preamp change to 1A since my preamp only has 4 patches per bank and G has 5 it started getting off pattern but thats OK

I just need to figure out how to tell gsys patch 00-5 to change preamp unit to 33A lol

I will get it I plan on keeping this thing I love a good puzzle I just cant wait till I get a better AMP so I dont have to use this digital preamp

Thanks for your time AND all the great paper you made!

Dino
      • November 16, 2011
    • dinoman
      Laird_Williams

dinoman wrote:

Thanks!

I did read that but it was not clear Sometimes it takes me reading something 3 or 4 time LOL

I plan on reading it more for sure!

I am glad to know that I will be able to set ANY Gsys patch so it will change to ANY preamp patch I want.

As I was playing with it it looked like it was only going to shadow me on every patch as in

00-1 made my preamp change to 1A since my preamp only has 4 patches per bank and G has 5 it started getting off pattern but thats OK

I just need to figure out how to tell gsys patch 00-5 to change preamp unit to 33A lol

I will get it I plan on keeping this thing I love a good puzzle I just cant wait till I get a better AMP so I dont have to use this digital preamp

Thanks for your time AND all the great paper you made!

Dino

A few things to help you out.

1) Footswitch banks on the G-System and on your amp have NOTHING to do with MIDI banks. You need to understand how Program Change numbers are converted to and from presets and banks in your amp and in the G-System.

2) You can (and probably should) put the G-System "MIDI - Program Change Out" setting to "On map" and then edit the MIDI map. This will give you more control of how the program change numbers relate to the G-System presets at least, since you will be able to manually set the right program number for each G-System preset by editing the MIDI map.

If you turn on the MIDI map in the G, then here is how it will work.

1) Figure out what MIDI PC corresponds to preset 33A on your amp.

2) Go into the G-System MIDI map

3) Scroll until you see preset 00-5

4) Enter the PC number from step 1 as the value.

5) done.
      • November 16, 2011
Go to page