Statistics

285,086 members
166,989 posts
  • yogurtboy
    Contributor - Level 2
    2011-01-29
    i got a RS210 the other day. Sounded good, but I really found it awkward to carry. It definitely requires its own trip from the car, and I'd much prefer to make one trip (at least for rehearsals). I returned it for an RS112. Now I can carry everything in one trip from the car again.

But for gigs, I'd consider getting a second RS112, but here's the thing...

The 2x10 and 2x12 cabs are rated at 400w @ 8 ohms

The 1x12 is 200w @ 8ohms

If I run the RH450 into TWO RS112s, is it technically capable of pushing more wattage? Or am I just going to get the same volume through 2 cabs?
    read more...
    0 3,831
    • yogurtboy
      yogurtboy TC's support confirmed my guess that more air being moved = more volume. ie:

"If you add a RS112 you will double the sound pressure and will be much louder than using only one. "
      • January 30, 2011
    • yogurtboy
      MatsD Sorry for hijacking your thread but a related question is if there is any difference in sound if i choose two RS112 instead of a single rs212 apart for the impedance that makes the former alternative able to sound louder.

What I fear though is that having two smaller cabinets doesn't allow for as deep frequency response as having one larger, although the total volumes are equal. If this is a neglectible difference, I'd rather go for two RS122, not primarily for being able to play louder but because of weight and portability. I have a bad back and being able to split the weight between more units is a big plus.
      • March 25, 2011
  • funkfingers
    Contributor - Level 1
    2010-11-01
    Hello. This is my first ever post on this forum. (I also use this ID on the Seymour Duncan User Group Forum but nowhere else.) I have just bought a Staccato'51 amplifier. I am trying to decide on the best cabinet(s) to go with it.

My question is this. Are there any published statistics on the frequency ranges claimed for each of the tc electronic RS series loudspeaker enclosures?

I realise that the RS212 is likely to produce more low end than the RS210. How does the RS410 compare? Would I be better served by a third party 15, 10, HF horn array?

Thanks in advance for any information and/or constructive comments.
    read more...
    0 5,860
    • funkfingers
      funkfingers After seven days, I have given up hope of any reply. I bought an RS210 anyway. Might eventually buy a second amp head and an RS212 for Billy Sheehan-style dual channel effects. TTFN.
      • November 6, 2010
    • funkfingers
      snowleopard

funkfingers wrote:

After seven days, I have given up hope of any reply. I bought an RS210 anyway. Might eventually buy a second amp head and an RS212 for Billy Sheehan-style dual channel effects. TTFN.

I've posted similar requests for info and got nothing, but by digging around I found the probable reason why TCE will not publish any detailed specs or graphs on the Speaker Cabinets:

It's due to the relatively small dimensions of the cabinets and the speakers used, in order to get any decent bottom end and to offset a mid-range hump the TCE Bass amps are electronically compensated to work specifically with the TC Speaker Cabinets inherent limitations and defects (which probably also involves the crossover network too). So that anyone using the TC speaker cabinets with another vendors amplifiers would not get the same performance and sound stage that would be delivered by a complete TCE Bass rig setup (Amp & Cab combination).

The only way TCE can refute my contentions is to publish the specs and graphs, something they are normally very good with vis-a-vie their studio and broadcast equipment (though again very noticeably absent from their new guitar toys), so it''s absence here is quite telling. There is obviously techy stuff they don't want to talk about, and so let the marketing and endorsers do the sales pitch grunt work for the products. This however should not detract from what most reviewers and musicians (pro and amateur alike) consider a really great piece of kit.

Ergo dead silence from the sales & support people, as this works in TCE's favor to promote their package over the competition ("it's about the sound, not the numbers" approach).
      • February 2, 2011
  • mjdyson
    Contributor - Level 1
    2011-01-30
    Hello everyone.. just picked up an RH450 at my local shop - I'm hugely impressed with what has been accomplished with the amp!

I've got a question regarding the foot controller port.

I already have a midi controller in my setup and wondering if it can be used to switch the channels on the amp?

The question is really, does the foot controller use a standard midi interface (by means of signals)? Or is it some proprietary signal that uses MIDI ports out of convenience?

Cheers,

Mark
    read more...
    0 2,675
  • yogurtboy
    Contributor - Level 2
    2010-06-22
    I just got a RH450, and of course, I need to make sure it's safe while getting to practices and gigs

However, I'm not interested in TC's gig bag... I need to haul around too much other stuff and TC's bag won't accommodate these other things, ie:
    - Folding bass stand
    - Binder of charts
    - Cables
    - microphone
    - etc

Can anyone recommend a larger bag to safely transport the RH450 _plus_ other stuff?

Thanks
    read more...
    0 6,550
    • yogurtboy
      BASSically I understand your dilemma only wanting one bag but you may just have to use two.

I do not carry my bass stand in a bag. It usually gets transported with no protection so it fits where ever I have room for it.

I do however use the TC bag. Is great protection for the head. I've been using the TC bag now for over a Year and the head looks mint..

I get all my cords, extra strings, and small tuff in it along with the head and floor foot switch.
      • August 15, 2010
    • yogurtboy
      staccato67 Try Gig Skinz, they are pretty good.
      • September 18, 2010
    • yogurtboy
      dmckee I agree actually. I just got the bag and I'm disappointed it neither big enough to hold all my gear, nor small enough to be a neat fit for the amp. Seems like a lot of wasted space around the sides of the amp when I was looking for something tight and compact. Hmm. I wonder if anyone has seen any smaller bags that might fit the amp on its own?
      • December 13, 2010
    • yogurtboy
      yogurtboy I broke down and got the TC gig bag.

dmckee wrote:

it neither big enough to hold all my gear, nor small enough to be a neat fit for the amp. Seems like a lot of wasted space around the sides of the amp

The thing is, it has a velcro divider that is intended to *also* store the RC4 pedal. Also, there's a pocket in the main section that sits "under" the head (if you were to lay the bag down, logo up)

Personally, I put a binder of charts in that pocket. Once the binder is there, with the RC4 in that little divider, the head is quite snug and safe

Before you close the flap, there are other pockets; one big enough for cables, and another for little bits

Yes, it's not big enough for *everything* I'd take to a gig (say, a folding bass stand), but I personally think it's perfect for the bare essentials when going to a rehearsal; bass in one hand, RS112 cab in the other, gig bag over the shoulder - PERFECT
      • January 29, 2011
  • br
    Contributor - Level 2
    2010-02-02
    I recently purchased in Toronto 2 rs112 speaker cabinets and a classic 450 amp.
    This combination gives me the sound, portability and flexibility that I was after.

My one concern is - why is the handle installed such that the cabinet nose dives
    when carried.
    It seems that if the handle was reversed that cab would balance better.

In the video on the TC web site the handle appears to be reversed such that the
    cab would balance when being carried. Also I do not have the 1/4" inputs mentioned
    in the video. So the cab has changed but why change the handle?
    read more...
    0 6,028
    • br
      br After doing a short experiment where I did an A/B comparison of two rs112 cabs, one with the handle reversed, I came to the conclusion that the cab with the handle situated such that the cab nose dives sounds better. My test was not done with the rigors of scientific exactness of environment or measurement so maybe someone else's conclusion would differ.

Since the nose dive is only a few inches and could be considered negligible it makes even more sense to have the handle in the better (to me) sounding position.
      • February 4, 2010
    • br
      BASSically br

Very good questions and one I would have thought would be answered by TC by now.

SO How about an answer TC ELECTRONIC.. Is a legitimate question as I see it.

Regards

BASSically
      • July 25, 2010
    • br
      yogurtboy I, too, own the RS112. I'm not terribly concerned about the nose dip issue, but I've got another gripe, when it comes to its handle design...

The handle runs parallel to the face of the cab... WHY? The wrist would be in a MUCH more natural position if the handle ran *perpendicular* to the cab face.

A question for "br"...

br wrote:

I recently purchased in Toronto 2 rs112 speaker cabinets

How do you like to TWO 112s? I'm tempted to get a second one
      • January 29, 2011
  • paddybass
    Contributor - Level 2
    2011-01-24
    Hi all, i recently posted on this forum looking for padded covers for my BH500 amp and BC410/BC212 cabs. I found a site where i had to submit the dimensions and have received my covers today. I'm very pleased with them and the company have added some tcelectronic items to their range. Very reasonable prices, check them out.

AmplifierCoversOnline.com

Thanks.
    read more...
    0 2,471
  • ursus
    Contributor - Level 2
    2010-08-01
    I know I can chain 2 Staccatos together for increasing the output. On my EBS there is a line out for this purpose but I can´t get it to work with my Staccato. Is there anybody who knows how to connect a EBS HD 350 to a Staccato for increasing the output?
    read more...
    0 5,740
    • ursus
      CAW You need to connect the line out of the EBS to the effects return input on the Staccato. The only control that will then work on the Staccato is the master volume knob.
      • August 1, 2010
    • ursus
      MidnightHourBas Using Staccato 51 and 2xRS210 - Sadowsky NYC 5 PJ configuration

Looking for suggestions on how I can increase presence (specifically for the G string .45 gauge).

From B to D I get amazing tonal clarity, punch, and definition; however notes played on the G are very thin, and faint. If I snap the note, it comes through fairly even with the other strings, but still lower in volume.

I have check sting to pick-up spacing on the bass and its a perfect 3/32.

Any ideas or settings I can try would be much appreciated.
      • January 16, 2011
    • ursus
      CBrown Assuming there is nothing wrong with the bass, I would suggest starting from scratch with your EQ and gain. Set the master volume on the S51 to max and the gain to zero with EQ flat and no TubeDrive or compression. Turn your Sadowsky volume to full and the bass and treble to zero with the passive tone to full. Now figure out how loud you need to be by turning the S51 gain to the level you need. This may not be your ideal tone but it will establish the volume you need. Next, try lowering the frequencies you don't like rather than boosting the ones you do. A little boost in the low end is fine, but too much can make the lower-tuned and more massive B E and A strings overwhelm the poor little G string. I've noticed that the tone I love when I'm alone is never the tone that works in a band or recording mix situation. Midrange is usually what suffers the most in a live situation, so I wouldn't lower too much of that. The G string has less mass and,therefore, less volume on most basses. So concentrate on finding the most appropriate mid to low-mid frequencies to maintain the balance on your bass.

Also, fresh strings usually helps the G speak clearly.

Hope this helps.
      • January 18, 2011
    • ursus
      MidnightHourBas Thanks Chuck. I did reset the EQ settings, and started from scratch.

I can definitely hear a lot more string when rolling off the tube tone, and compression.

Ultimately I set the bass frequency as low as it would go, mid hi freq to to @3 o'clock, and hi freq as high as it would go; from there I rolled the bass down 4 clicks, and turned up the mid hi 4clicks, mid bass 2 clicks, and hi rolled down 4 clicks.

I noticed extreme tone change from string to string. Using headphones the highs seem a lot more present, and clear. I then went back and added a small amount of compression, and set tube tone to 1 o'clock, with intensity set to zero.

The tone still gives a very nice punch, but with a lot more highs, clear and defined.

Still need to hear it in a live setting, but over all I'm very pleased with what I was able to accomplish with some tweaking.

PS. I agree, regarding new strings, and have them on order.

Cheers!
      • January 19, 2011
  • newlin83
    Contributor - Level 1
    2011-01-01
    Although I've been recording through the line out of the amp just fine, I wanted to try out the digital output because I guess I have nothing else better to do. I first purchased a short XLR to coaxial cable. I then ran the output from the RH450 through my Tascam FW-1804 audio interface. I finally set up the clock and set the RH450 as the master to record into Ableton Live.

When I went to record in Ableton, the input level was low. Usually input is adjusted through a trim knob on the audio interface for analog audio, but the audio interface manual says the following about digital audio: "The digital inputs are passed to your DAW application at unity gain; their level must be regulated at the digital source".

So my question: How do I regulate the input level from the digital output of the RH450? The volume knob has no effect on the digital output. I have a passive bass and the volume is all up and EQ is set flat.

Furthermore, what's the purpose of the digital out anyway? I'm just noodling around with this at home, but the few studios I've recorded in have always had me run my bass through a pre-amp or a direct box. What's the ideal situation in which to be using the digital out?
    read more...
    0 6,393
    • newlin83
      thereturnfc have u try that little pre-post switch at the corner right at the back of your unit?

digital out suppose to be use for recording...

"Use the DIGITAL OUT jack to connect the RH450’s digital output

stage directly to a digital audio device, such as a computer’s

audio interface. This way, you can record your bass sound

straight into Pro Tools, Logic or any other DAW application. The

digital output signal is in 96 kHz/24 bit AES/EBU format. This

ensures the highest possible resolution and quality of your

recorded bass signal."

but i think it could be the cable compatibility since u likely want to plug XLR to XLR not coaxial( i have no knowledge on this issue,but it likely be this)
      • January 2, 2011
    • newlin83
      newlin83 The pre-post switch is used to determine where in the signal chain the signal for the digital output should be tapped. I should be able to record either way, pre or post EQ.

Also, I've read the manual and I understand that the digital out is for recording, I just don't understand for what type of a recording situation this would be ideal since in no recording situation have I used a digital output like this, it's always been an analog connection.

Also, I can't run from XLR to XLR because that would be running from a digital output on the RH450 (XLR) to an analog input (XLR) on the interface. The XLR to coaxial cable is used to run from a digital output on the amp (XLR) to digital input on the interface (coaxial).

I still need to know how to set the level since digital inputs don't have any trim knobs. I have different basses with different outputs and the signal going to my DAW will be different depending on how I set the EQ and volume on my bass.
      • January 2, 2011
    • newlin83
      CBrown I've been using the digital output of my RH450 for a few months now. I purchased a digital cable kinda like this one but a little longer:

http://www.vintageking.com/Lynx-Studio-Technology-CBL_XFDR18?sc=46&category=39267

The female XLR end obviously goes to the RH450. The RCA end goes into the S/PDIF RCA digital input of my MOTU 828MkII audio interface. I use Digital Performer and the level of the digital signal is controlled using the software that came with the interface.

I use the digital output because when I record, I prefer to bypass the A/D converter in my MOTU interface and use the built-in A/D converter in the RH450 (which sounds better to my ear). Hope this helps.

Chuck Brown from Bass Emporium
      • January 18, 2011
  • lofijunkie
    Contributor - Level 1
    2011-01-14
    Hi Guy´s,

i´m using a SWR Goliath III 8 Ohm with my brandnew RH450, but now i´ve got some questions:

- Power Rating is 450 watts/4 ohm, but how much is the power rating with 8 ohm cabs?
    - How can i achieve 4 ohm?
    - Is there a big (Sound) difference between 4 and 8 ohm?

What do you think?

Thanx for your reply,
    lofijunkie
    read more...
    0 4,708
    • lofijunkie
      CBrown Hi Lofijunkie,

I own and love the RH450. I use one 4 ohm 4x10 cab. I don't know what the output at 8 ohms would be. Since the SWR has parallel jacks, you can achieve 4 ohms by hooking another 8 ohm speaker to the other jack of the Goliath in parallel. The head "sees" the two cabs as a single 4 ohm load. I work at Bass Emporium and I've put 4 and 8 ohm versions of the same brand's 4x10's side by side. No noticeable increase in volume. Two 8 ohm 4x10's will always be louder than one equivalent 4 ohm. Hope this helps.

CBrown from Bass Emporium
      • January 18, 2011
  • paddybass
    Contributor - Level 2
    2011-01-10
    Hi All, anyone on here got any info on makers of soft covers in UK for TC bass gear?

Many thanks.
    0 1,939
Go to page