Statistics

269,930 members
149,695 posts
  • FlavioB
    Contributor - Level 3
    2020-09-25

Hi all.

I'm very new to this great concept of routing and buses, so I'm struggling to get hold of the basics (I guess).

Can anybody assist me or is there any good site where I could start read and learn? If it's be a site, then it should be related to X32 in particular...

Or I could simply pose my questions here?

Let me know!

BR,
    F.

read more...
    0 98
    • FlavioB
      Paul_Vannatto Hi Flavio, feel free to ask questions relating to routing and buses. You could also search YouTube for "X32 Routing". There should be plenty of them there. The ones by Drew Brashler are excellent.
      • September 25, 2020
    • FlavioB
      CraigFowler As a quick primer:

Buses sum and can add processing (eg eq and compression) to a group of channel signals at certain tap points. The buses can then be used internally within the console (eg as an FX send if you wanted to add reverb to a bunch of vocal channels) or can be routed to physical output sockets on the console\stagebox to feed things like monitor and FOH amps.

The X32 has 16 mono buses which can be used for monitors\subgroups\fx sends, which can be stereo-linked in odd\even pairs to create up to 8 stereo buses (useful for stereo IEMs.)

The X32 also has a dedicated stereo LR bus, which is typically used for the FOH mix. There is also mono\centre bus, which would typically be used for feeding either subwoofers or a centre channel (you can set up LCR panning.) It can also be used as an FX send if you run out of regular buses.

Finally, the X32 has 6 mono matrices. Like the buses, they can be stereo-linked in odd/even pairs, and then routed to individual physical outputs to feed various things. Typical uses would be front\side fills, delays, and overflows. Although you can't send channels to matrices, you can send buses there for summing and processing. Matricies are like buses for your buses.

Using the various tabs in the Routing menu, you can determine exactly which signal will appear on which output socket on the console\stageboxes.
      • September 25, 2020
    • FlavioB
      FlavioB Hi guys. Thanks for your replies.
      Let's start with a practical use case: when using a DAW to record multi-track from my X32, I experienced that the FX (I'm using two outboards to add delay / reverb to my channels in a send-return fashion) is not getting recorded. So I just have all dry instruments in my DAW.
      A suggestion I got from a friend is to use 2 channels (or pairs, depending on mono/stereo instruments) for each instrument:
      - instrument (dry) channel
      - FX channel (no instrument)
      This way I would be able to adjust the FX amount for each channel (or channel pair) and also record that channel in my DAW. But here's the point I am stuck at: how can I have the FX return dedicated for each instrument on a separate channel?

I hope my explanation is clear enough... otherwise just ask :-)
      Thanks,
      Flavio.
      • September 27, 2020
    • FlavioB
      CraigFowler I'm presuming you're using the aux IO for the inserts?

By default the X32 records signals straight after the preamps, which is before any insert points, which is why the signals going to your DAW are dry. If you want to keep using the FX as send-returns and record them, you need to either record the wet input at the aux in sockets, (Routing>Card, set a block to AuxIn1-6/T) or use the Routing>Out1-16\Ultranet tabs to set up some direct outs from the instrument channels which tap post insert point, then send that Out1-16\Ultranet block to the cardout tab.

If you want to go with your friend's suggestion, you'd need to stop using the channel's insert point, and instead set a channel direct out to the aux out socket feeding the outboard FX engine's input (routing>aux out.) If you do it post-fader you can use the channel's fader as a send level control. Then you'd need to return the FX signal to the aux input. The you can record the aux input directly using the routing>card>auxin1-6/t option, or you can set a spare channel (or 2) to source their signals from the aux in sockets (select channel>config>source: AuxX) then stage direct outs from those spare channels in the routin>out1-16\ultranet tabs, and then send the Out1-16\Ultranet block to the routing>card tab.
      • September 27, 2020
      • X32 and routing - where should I start from?
        FlavioB So here I am, after some time "off" from my studio...

I've tried your first suggestion, Craig: "record the wet input at the aux in sockets". It seems to be working, but I don't understand how and why. Can you help? :-)
        So I have now the configuration you can see in the attached screenshot.
        For some reason, after fiddling a bit around, I discovered by pure luck that channel pair 31+32 is the pair I need to record in my DAW to also record the FX coming from my 2 outboard FX units.
        How is this possible?
        Thanks!
        F.
        • October 9, 2020
    • FlavioB
      CraigFowler [QUOTE]"record the wet input at the aux in sockets". It seems to be working, but I don't understand how and why.[/QUOTE]

By setting one of the blocks in the Routing>Card section to AuxIn1-6/T, You're taking the signals that appear at the console's auxIn sockets (where the outputs of your outboard are plugged in; your FX returns) and passing them to the card interface to be output into your DAW, where you can record them.

[QUOTE]For some reason, after fiddling a bit around, I discovered by pure luck that channel pair 31+32 is the pair I need to record in my DAW to also record the FX coming from my 2 outboard FX units.
      How is this possible?[/QUOTE]

Ch31-32 probably have their sources set as aux1+2, so they're taking signal from those aux in sockets where your ourboard returns. Select ch31 (and 32,) config tab, and check what the source is.

If you can upload your whole scene file we can have a look at how you've got it set up. If you're managing to record wet signals using the settings in the screenshot, you've done some extra work with the aux out tab, which is confusing things.
      • October 10, 2020
  • matthiasremes
    Contributor - Level 1
    2020-09-25

Hi. Im realy impressed with the 1.08.1. The soul extractor is just what i needed. ps nameles company:"the 545 is realy difficult to model"  :D

I am currently using the sd card recorder for virtual soundchecks and it works nicely as long as my input sources stay the same. If the input sources change i find it cumbersome to rerout SD card inputs and outputs. I have found myself turning my brain into knots doing this. The user signals are a nice workaround but my channel count is often more than 24.

So i was wondering if there is a way to somehow copy aes50 source routings to the recorder? Then i could just do my source setup and "copy" the assignemnts to the sd recorder so that the sd play ins the alt input.

read more...
    0 48
    • matthiasremes
      Nigel67 Hi Matthias. I have been talking to a few people regarding this. Could you give us more detail on how/why you would want to use this function. We are trying to understand if there is a work around for how you want this to work. One specific question that did come up, was if you stored your patching with the audio, and then changed channels on the surface, when you re-imported the patching, the surface channels would still be in the wrong place as you are only changing the patching. How were you intending to get round this problem? If you could supply as much information as you can and we will take another look at it. Many thanks
      • September 29, 2020
  • tominator83
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2020-09-24

My team uses an XAir18. We have our in house mix, monitor mix from bus 1 and online mix from bus 6. I can of course adjust the level of FX (reverb/delay in my case) but it evenly gets adjusted accrossed all mixes. Is there a way to adjust the fx in each mix independently? Thank you in advance! 

read more...
    1 47
    • tominator83
      jwp525 I am looking for this solution as well
      • September 24, 2020
    • tominator83
      KyleJohnson Hello, Kyle here with Music Tribe. You can control the contribution from the FX return to each Mix Bus just as you can do with a channel (Using the SOF mode or the Sends menu). But you are sending the same FX Return to each bus (unless you only use the FX Send for one bus) meaning that you send a handful of channels to the FX Send, the effected signal comes back into the return and that FX Return mix will be the same mix of signal wherever it is sent.
      • September 24, 2020
      • I doubt anyone can answer this...
        tominator83 Oh wow. OK so I'm using an android interface and get what your saying but from my sends menu it only seems to give me the option to adjust the effects for that certain channel
        • September 25, 2020
    • tominator83
      GaryHiggins You might also try using the same effect assigned to a different fx slot such that 2 versions exist, say Vintage Reverb in slot 1 and then also Vintage Reverb in slot 4.
      • September 25, 2020
    • tominator83
      tominator83 Wait I figured it out!! I can change where the effects go from the effects rack!
      • September 25, 2020
    • tominator83
      StephenEvans The fader shown in the above picture is the amount of signal going TO the reverb. This will hence equally affect anything that the reverb is sent to. To adjust the amount of reverb going to each bus, first find the FX returns tab in your channel list. Then if you go to "sends on fader" for your different bus mixes, you can adjust the amount of reverb going to each. Or if you go to the "sends" tab of the reverb FX return then you should be able to adjust how much goes to each mix there.
      • September 30, 2020
  • TheHaven
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2020-09-24

Is there a maximum size SD card that the XLive Card accepts? I have a 2 - 64 gig cards inserted and they are being recognized as inserted but none of the specs about the card are displayed. Further more I am not able to creat/start a new session.

read more...
    0 76
    • TheHaven
      KyleJohnson Hi Geoffrey, Kyle here with Music Tribe. SD cards up to 2 GB and SDHC cards up to 32 GB are officially supported, for use with FAT32 formatting.
      • September 24, 2020
    • TheHaven
      Paul_Vannatto Hi Geoffrey, even though the official limitation is 32Gb, there have been many reports of successfully using 64Gb and 128Gb, when they are reformatted to Fat32. I use GParted on my linux laptop without issues.
      • September 24, 2020
  • AlaB
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2020-09-24

Hi, did any one tried to work out OSC control for wing. I know there is documentation for that, but I've tried to use it and I can't work it out.

Did any of U used OSC with succes.

can U show me how should look like whole code line for muting chanels.

read more...
    0 90
    • AlaB
      Paul_Vannatto HI Ala, I have recently released an update to my Live Toolbox for the Wing (using the OSC protocol). Also included is a list of all of the OSC commands. Here is the link to Live Toolbox (the OscTxRx.pas is the OSC engine unit).
      https://sourceforge.net/projects/wing-live-toolbox/
      • September 24, 2020
    • AlaB
      Paul_Vannatto If you program in C, Patrick has released a Wing OSC unit here
      https://github.com/pmaillot/wapi
      • September 24, 2020
    • AlaB
      AlaB Ok, so I will try to define it more precisely. I’m using show cue system for sound in the play, and I need to integrate it with the changes on my console, muting chanels, fx etc. Software can send OSC but the commands I’m sending aren’t working. So I’m looking for error in the code I’m inputing
      • September 24, 2020
      • Behringer wing OSC control
        Paul_Vannatto Hi Ala, are you using UDP port 2223? If you provide an example of a command you are trying to send, I will help you with it.
        • September 24, 2020
      • Behringer wing OSC control
        AlaB yes I'm using UDP on port 2223, I'm trying command :/ch/1/mute, i 1
        • September 25, 2020
  • nrasnake
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2020-09-24

I bought a certified refurbished XR-18 with a 1yr warranty, registered it, and after hours of setup, tuning, and preparation our band managed to record one songe before input 13 became distorted.  I requested a warranty repair and received an RMA promptly (thank you), however, I did not receive a return shipping label.  Over the last 2.5 days, I've sent two emails to the case representative and one submission to the Behringer Support link and I've received zero response.  I'm trying to understand how this is living up to the customer care policy:

Care Policy - Behringer

At Music Tribe we genuinely care about our customers and are passionate about providing life changing customer experiences.

We want you to enjoy using our products as much as we enjoy making them. So, when you need our help we have it covered and you can count on us.

Can someone please help me out here so that I can get back to making music instead of spending more time and money on a product that worked for an hour?

Thank you

Case #  CAS-140491-S4N1G2

read more...
    2 82
    • nrasnake
      KyleJohnson Hi Nicholas, Kyle here with Music Tribe. I have located your case and will make sure someone gets back to you as soon as possible. If you have any questions regarding the warranty policy, you can find details at: https://www.behringer.com/service/service-warranty.html?modelCode=P0BI8
      • September 24, 2020
    • nrasnake
      nrasnake Hey Kyle, appreciate you responding to me. Unfortunately, another 24hrs has come and gone and I'm still waiting on a response. I guess I'm getting ignored because I'm asking for a shipping label to return a defective product that I bought "certified refurbished with 1yr warranty" and used for an hour. If I had got some use out of this unit, I could understand, but when someone takes a risk to buy something ALREADY refurbished (meaning its true status is unknown/not factory) and it has issues within an hour, the company
      • September 25, 2020
    • nrasnake
      nrasnake 's customer service needs to step in and work with the customer.
      • September 25, 2020
    • nrasnake
      KyleJohnson Hi Nicholas, very sorry for the delay. Someone will be getting back to you within the hour.
      • September 25, 2020
    • nrasnake
      nrasnake Kyle, thanks for your help, I did receive a courtesy shipping label within the hour. Much appreciated.
      • September 25, 2020
  • MattiaCarrara
    Contributor - Level 2
    2020-09-23

Hello, 

I'm tryng to send the output of a bus (delay fx) to another bus (reverb fx). I can't do this: on the send page there are only the first 8 busses and the 8 matrixes. I can't find a way to scroll to the next bank of busses. 

Am I missing something?

Thanks

read more...
    0 253
    • MattiaCarrara
      Paul_Vannatto You can send bus to bus to the first 8 buses only. I would suggest you rearrange your bus assignments accordingly.
      • September 23, 2020
      • WING Send Bus to Bus
        MattiaCarrara Ok, it doesn't make much sense... Anyway, I'll swap efx busses with monitor busses.
        • September 24, 2020
      • WING Send Bus to Bus
        Paul_Vannatto Actually it does make sense, when you consider that before firmware 1.08 we couldn't send any mixbus to mixbus. This is the best the developers could do at this point.
        • September 24, 2020
      • WING Send Bus to Bus
        MattiaCarrara Don't get me wrong, just saying that it is complicating the workflow w.r.t the X32. I'm always appreciating your help, thanks.
        • September 24, 2020
    • MattiaCarrara
      GeorgeDougherty A few options:
      Auxes and channels can take any mixbus as an input and then route back to any mixbus.
      I wouldn't mind seeing a delay/reverb combo processor that has a parallel/serial option..
      Mixbuses have both a pre and post insert option and spatial effects have a wet/dry mix. With proper tweaking you can build a serial delay->reverb chain on one mixbus

I'd find it handy to have both a pre/post insert on aux channels since that's where I patch all my lead effects fed from a single lead fx mixbus. I could use an input channelbut I'm running short of those and have plenty of aux channels.
      • September 27, 2020
  • JohnShepherd
    Contributor - Level 3
    2020-09-23

I have 2 RCF Subs and 2 RCF HDM45A's for tops. I use the 110hz crossover in the subs and connect the tops to each sub output.

What other ways can I set this system up that may offer me more flexibility for level/eq/compression control? Thanks, Shep

read more...
    0 38
    • JohnShepherd
      RexBeckett You could send the Main LR buses to Matrix buses and use the EQ in the Matrix buses to perform the crossover. The bus EQ includes Linkwitz-Riley 24dB/Octave filters which are good for crossovers. You could use a pair of stereo-linked Matrix buses for the tops and one or two mono Matrix buses for the subs. I use a single Matrix for subs so it sums the bottom end from both sides of Main LR.

Using Matrix buses in this way allows separate level, EQ, dynamics and delays for the top and sub outputs. Overall level and EQ can still be controlled using the Main LR bus controls.
      • September 23, 2020
      • Sub signal flow
        JohnShepherd If the signal is eq split at the board, how do i get the separate signal to the sub/top separately?
        • September 23, 2020
      • Sub signal flow
        RexBeckett You select the Matrix buses as the source for required slots on the Out 1-16 table and route the blocks to local or AES50 outputs. You would need three or four outputs in place of the two you are currently using.
        • ·
        • September 23, 2020
  • JohnShepherd
    Contributor - Level 3
    2020-09-23

On my venue's stage, I use 2 S16s on opposite sides of the stage. I use out 8 for stage R mains and out 16 for stage L Mains. Setup says I have to use 7-8 for LR as they are default. Unless I run a cable from my stage L (outs 9-16) all the way around to Stage right backline, I have to plug into an alternate output.

I guess the obvious is that I don't have FX 7-8 in stereo anymore. Beyond that, I don't know what else is affected. What is recommended I do to make my routing fully functional, if it's not by the way I've done this? 9 months later and I still feel like I don't get this console whatsoever.

read more...
    0 47
    • JohnShepherd
      RexBeckett I don't understand your problem, John. There should be no difficulty routing the Main L and R outputs to different S16s. This is done by staging on Out 1-16 and routing the Out blocks to the required AES50 lines.
      • September 23, 2020
    • JohnShepherd
      JohnShepherd How does the 7-8 Eq/Comp (whatever is inserted) hit both sides if I reroute one side to 16?
      • September 23, 2020
      • 2 S 16s
        RexBeckett FX can be inserted into channels, Mixbuses and Matrix buses. Stereo FX inserts require adjacent odd/even pairs of these. On the Out 1-16 routing tab, you are free to select any of the channels or buses for each output slot without regard for order.
        • ·
        • September 23, 2020
      • 2 S 16s
        JohnShepherd I am sorry i do not follow the signal path. Can you please detail the path? I have read the manual, watched dbb videos til I'm blue. I have a recording studio I can do routing even especially internally in the daw with easily. I have never seen anyone do a video where the main LR are not 7/8 (X32 compact) or X32 15/16 with V4. Again, I apologize that these concepts do not compute to me.
        • September 23, 2020
      • 2 S 16s
        Paul_Vannatto Hey John, maybe I can help (thanks for the gift BTW). You need to separate in your mind the channel strip processing (gate, EQ, compressor, sends, pans, etc.) with the physical output assignments. Channel strip processing (including channels, mixbuses, matrixes, mains, etc.) are done in the digital realm and can be setup either mono or stereo. The physical output assignments (done in the Routing section) simply assigns these mono signals to a physical output. A stereo signal, such as Main LR is actually to mono signals of left and right. The left can be assigned to output 7 (on the Routing, Out 1-16) and the right can be assigned to output 16.

If you have 2 S16's, one needs to be configured as mode 1 (no LED's lit on front panel) and the other configured as mode 2 (Out+8 LED lit). That would make the second S16 output as 9-16. Hope that helps
        • September 23, 2020
      • 2 S 16s
        RexBeckett Console and stagebox outputs may be connected to a wide range of signal sources within the mixer by routing. This is done in two or three stages:

First the signal source is selected on one of the sixteen slots in the Out 1-16 table. Sources can be the Main buses, Mixbuses, Matrix buses or direct channel outputs. In each case, there are optional signal taps within the signal paths. When more than sixteen output slots are required, the Ultranet and Aux Out tables can also be used.

The signals staged on the Out 1-16, Ultranet and Aux Out tables can now be routed to physical outputs. Basic routing handles the signals in blocks. The block size is four for the console's local XLR outputs and eight for stagebox outputs via AES50 or USB (Card) sends. Console firmware V4 added patching tables that allow User blocks to be assembled with individual signals from the basic blocks - thus overcoming the four or eight block-size constraints.

The bottom line is that, with V4 firmware, any console signal can be sent to any local or stagebox output.
        • September 23, 2020
    • JohnShepherd
      Hobbes002 As an alternative, if you don't need more than 8 outputs: you can assign Out 1-8 to both S16s.
      • September 23, 2020
    • JohnShepherd
      JohnShepherd Hi Paul, I sent you a text yesterday. Please advise at your leisure. Thanks everyone!
      • September 24, 2020
  • Hobbes002
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2020-09-23

on the Behringer website, X32-Edit is now listed as a 'legacy' product. Does this mean it will be replaced with something else?

0 111
    • Hobbes002
      Paul_Vannatto I just checked on the X32 product page and the X32-Edit is not listed as a legacy product (under the Software section on the right). Where are you seeing this? I can assure you that it is not legacy status, since we are currently beta testing the next update.
      • September 23, 2020
    • Hobbes002
      Dale_M If you search in this manner it is flagged as Legacy, I will see if I can find out for you
      • September 23, 2020
      • X32-Edit replacement?
        Paul_Vannatto Dale, look at the screenshot. That is the old X32-Edit interface (for firmware 1.x and 2.x) and is definitely legacy status. That page either needs to be updated with the current interface that was introduced with firmware 3.0 or that page should be removed. In the description, it also mentions XControl, which was the name of the app for firmware 1.x
        • ·
        • September 23, 2020
    • Hobbes002
      Dale_M It appears it is still current, the legacy tag is incorrect.
      • September 23, 2020
      • X32-Edit replacement?
        Paul_Vannatto That version of X32-Edit is not still current. The GUI interface is version 2.5 or older. X32-Edit needs to be version 4.1 in order to function correctly with current firmware (4.02).
        • September 23, 2020
    • Hobbes002
      Hobbes002 Thanks for getting to the bottom of this so quickly
      • September 23, 2020
    • Hobbes002
      Dale_M @Paul_Vannatto confirmed thank you I will ask the team to deal with it
      • September 23, 2020
Go to page