Statistics

242,672 members
119,068 posts
  • Taavi
    Contributor - Level 2
    2018-10-11
    Hi!

For years I've been running my whole system on early 2011 MacBook Pro, 2.2GHz with 8GB RAM and proper SSD. The system has worked flawlessly. Don't know why but past couple of months it happens so that when I use Powercore Firewire plugins, then the whole sound gets glitchy and nothing really helps. It used to run smoothly but now doesn't. Anything in the setup hasn't changed except monitor speakers, but that's not the cause of the problems. So I've been thinking that I need to change my DAW computer. I use Logic Pro X. Other hardware besides Poco are: Motu 828 mk2 firewire + 8ch over ADAT, Virus TI Snow running audio over USB (this wasn't even connected when problems arised, 6ch of audio), Elektron Analog Rytm (which I wish I could run over USB too - 8ch of audio).
    I have couple of machines in mind: mac pro 5.1, mac pro 6.1 (using with tb-fw adapters) or perhaps new quad core 13" macbook pro. Any idea which system could work fine?
    + I have thunderbolt display, which has firewire ports and extra thunderbolt port, so any machine really suits. It's just that it must handle all the bandwith.
    read more...
    0 793
    • Taavi
      refinery my suggestion? Wipe out your system, reinstall with the OS you have, and disable software updates including Apple's background security updates. Install your software. See if it works right again. Run the software updates and see if it breaks again.

ive had weird problems like this as well, with VSS3 specifically, and I honestly suspect its Apple's background updates causing the problem.

VSS3 has worked fine for me for years, and one day it just started freaking out, I had made no changes to my system in months. Looking into my system details though I saw a lot of background Apple updates... these are NOT system updates delivered via standard software update, but more a mechanism of their "gatekeeper" functionality which does transparently download updates without interaction from the user. Sadly though, Ive never had time to sit down and genuinely test this theory. But back when this happened to me, the only change I was able to find was a Gatekeeper definition update which had been downloaded two days prior.

i suggest this because its entirely possible you could go to all the trouble on the new system and it turns out to do the exact same thing.
      • October 25, 2018
    • Taavi
      refinery and if you want a recommendation for system? Build a hackintosh. Im using a DZ77RE-75K with OSX 10.9 Mavericks. I have a Powercore Express, Two powercore PCIs, and an X8 and Compact, and they work 100% (yes, PCI Powercores will work fine on intel machines) I also have an Apollo 8P and a Focusrite LiquidMix 32, and they all play nice together. Find me a real mac that will do that
      • October 25, 2018
    • Taavi
      Taavi I actually got rid of the problem... my system just kept getting slower and slower and ssd which once write about 500+ MB/s then started to write at speeds of about ~15MB/s. It came out that the SATA cable was malfunctioning. So it's working good again
      • November 8, 2018
    • Taavi
      refinery excellent! glad to hear you got it sorted.
      • November 8, 2018
  • Em1ly
    Triber
    2019-03-14

Here are some highlights of the ULTRAVOICE XM1800S

1 95
  • TomasSorlen
    Contributor - Level 1
    2018-09-17
    Hello!

I just bought a used trirec, is there a manual available for download somewhere?
    0 191
  • MikeNorton
    Contributor - Level 1
    2019-05-01

I'm a recent convert to the XR18 for my five-piece cover band. We're using it for rehearsal but haven't used it live yet. So far, I am loving this amazing piece of kit. 

Apologies if this is a stupid question.

But can I use Logic Pro X effects during live performances by routing the individual tracks through Logic and back to the XR18?

I'm happy to use the XR18 effects like Compressor, EQ etc (although I'm no expert!!) on individual tracks. However, I would like to put some more sound-changing effects on our electric piano - which I have done when post-mixing live multi-track performances already.

Can I do that live? As an example, here is a link to a live performance of Mr Brightside, remixed afterwards in Logic - the intro is the piano made to sound like a guitar (because we have only one guitarist and he's playing rhythm). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jujRNKmMng0

I don't think it's possible to change the sound so significantly with the Behringer guitar amp effect (I haven't been able to anyway). Hence the desire to route the sound through Logic and back. 

Any help would be much appreciated. 

read more...
    0 436
    • MikeNorton
      Paul_Vannatto

Hi Mike @MikeNorton,

Welcome to the forum. There is no such thing as a stupid question - and we rarely have a stupid answer here 

Yes you could use Logic to add desired effects to a specific channel (eg. electric piano). But there may be a certain amount of latency due to the speed of the USB interface and processing power of Logic and the computer. That said, here is how to setup the routing for it. Assume the electric keyboard is on channel 10.

* Setup, USB Send - assign Channel 10 (analog tap) to USB 1

* Setup, USB Return - assign USB 1 to Channel 10

* Channel 10 strip, Input - select USB and adjust the trim.

• April 30, 2019
    • MikeNorton
      GaryWeller Or just use a distortion pedal on the piano.
      • May 1, 2019
    • MikeNorton
      MikeNorton

Thanks for your reply. Really helpful.

Do you mind if I ask another question? I'm not entirely confident that my compressor/EQ settings are right on the XR18, simply because I'm a real newbie in terms of sound engineering. Is there a thread where I can post my settings file for feedback from people who know a lot more about it?

And finally, one more question... can I run virtual soundcheck from Logic to the X Air App on my MacBook Pro WITHOUT the Behringer XR18 being connected? ie routing through the internal sound settings of the MB Pro from Logic to the X Air app? The box is in our rehearsal room and it would be easier to do it at home without it. 

Thanks again for your help and sorry for all the questions.

• May 1, 2019
  • Ruksacbob
    Contributor - Level 1
    2019-05-03

I recntly purchased the X32 and just added a single P16M for use in my small home studio.  However, I have tried everything I can think of to achieve a signal at te P16M during playback from Pro Tools through the X32, or when recording to Pro Tools via the X32.  I'm concerned that the used P16 I acquired may be faulty.  The unit powers on, seems to outwardly respond with lights and knob movement, but no signal to headphones plugged into the rear of the P16M. Although the unit was  sold to me with no Ultranet "Through" connector, the previous owner assured me that hte unit did function when last used a couple years ago (wondering if this might be my issue, but hioping he was correct - I've only spent $50 on it, so I think worth the chance).  Using X32 Ver .11

Setup is:  ROUTING / ULTRANET / P16 Output 1-16 - Direct Out 1-16

read more...
    0 85
    • Ruksacbob
      Paul_Vannatto

Hi Bob @Ruksacbob,

Welcome to the forum. What taps are you using? If it is IN/LC, it will be the preamp level of the actual XLR inputs, not what is the source of the individual channels (such as the card in channels). What do you have assigned on the Routing Inputs for both recording and playback mode? I would suggest you export your scene to a file, zip it and attach it to your next post (click on Choose File below). That way we can have a look and better advise.

• May 3, 2019
    • Ruksacbob
      Ruksacbob

Thanks for the quick response Paul. Sorry for the delay gettin back to you - I had a flight to Europe and just returned last night. Before I left I connected another musicians P16M to the Ethernet port on my X32 and he did receive a valid signal, so it appears the $50 P16M I bought used will be a future “parts investment”. All set now. I have had a chance to read a number of the interactions here in the Music Tribe Community and have to say I’m quite impressed - very good reference material for the X32 user, especially valuable as the documentation from Behringer is pretty sparse. Thanks again Paul. 

• May 5, 2019
  • Psalm_144
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-05-19

Is it possible to change the volume of the samples higher or lower? I have some samples that are loud and some that are too quiet. Thank you.

0 2,066
  • PrinceAcquaye
    Contributor - Level 1
    2017-11-08
    Hi, am a new user to the Midas product. I just got 2 Midas pro 2 with the dn9650and ktdante 64. How do I hook them up for stage and FOH. And how do I also connect the dn9650 and ktdante 64. So I can record 64tracks
    0 551
  • WesAkin
    Contributor - Level 2
    2018-05-10
    So I'm looking into getting into Dante after reading up on what's it's actual capabilities are after years of hearing about it but never really investigating it. I'm looking to set this up for a HOW. We currently have a M32 at FOH with channels 1-8 being local with my Wireless units receivers utilizing those channels, 9-32 are assigned to AES-50A and run to the DL32 at stage as a stage box. I also use the Ultranet to send 16 channels to my p16's on stage for additional monitor mixes. In addition to mixing FOH i also mix 4 IEM mixes for my vocalists (transmitters are at FOH and utilizing Aux 1-4 outputs) and I mix Audio for video from AUX 9 which is sent to a Roland video switcher and then to live stream all located at FOH. Mains are routed to the Aux 15-16 outputs of the DL32 back at stage and over to the QSC KLA line Arrays.

Now that you can see my routing here is where Dante comes in. I'm currently in the process of adding a protools studio to our campus. I'm wanting to be able to send my 32 channels of inputs currently being utilized on the M32 over Dante to the Protools studio to be recorded. Possibly in the future this would also be mixed real time in the protools studio and the 2-track out routed back to the M32 and over to the Roland unit for live streaming to take a little strain off me mixing everything at FOH. Mixes could also possibly used in overflow areas and cry rooms.

With the Midas M32 routing design is this possible without affecting my current use of the AES50 and Ultranet configurations? I'm trying to learn Dantes capabilities and I'm sure this is easy for Dante to handle but not sure in regards to the M32 routing capabilities.

I greatly appreciate your input.
    read more...
    0 1,318
    • WesAkin
      Roblof Is it possible for you to draw the intended setup?
      • May 10, 2018
    • WesAkin
      WesAkin I'm not the best artist in the world but i gave it a shot.Scanned Image.pdf
      • May 10, 2018
    • WesAkin
      Roblof As far as I can tell your setup should work. My only question is why the roland receives mono and not stereo?

Also, due to the blocks of eight and x-dante is limited to 32ch there might be an issue to record the pesentation mac through the x32 so protools need to record the 32ch from x-dante and also the 2ch dante stream from the presentation mac.
      • May 10, 2018
    • WesAkin
      WesAkin That's my plan is for protools to grab the 32 channels off of dante entirely so long as i can get all 32 channels on the network. Presentation Mac would be sending audio over dante to be picked up by channels 7/8 on my M32 for FOH mix and video stream mix down, while Protools grabs it straight from dante and combines it with the other 30 channels coming over dante from the M32.

I really haven't thought about the stereo feed going to the Roland until you brought it up. Currently my video feed is mixed on AUX 9 using sends on faders so i can jump between it and FOH quickly since i do all of it at the same times currently. Not sure if you can link two subgroups together in a stereo pair like you can with normal channels. But if i canl, and control their mix by still using a one touch sends on fader, i would just have to run one more cable from Aux 10 to one of the open XLR inputs on my Roland unit and then pan hard left/right on the roland. Just not sure how stereo pairing will work on Aux sends. Guessing there is a way for those that use stereo IEM setups for musicians. Would just need to play with it.
      • May 11, 2018
    • WesAkin
      WesAkin Sorry i keep saying Aux 9/10.... I mean Mix buss 9/10
      • May 11, 2018
  • Zephyr737X
    Contributor - Level 1
    2019-06-10

Help! I cant get my UMC1820 to talk to my apollo over ADAT. My understanding is this should be very simple and straightforward however there is no good procedures online for this. I need help fast. Each item (UAD and UMC) work fine individually so there is no fault with the devices nor is there an issue with the optic cable as I have tested several.

read more...
    0 71
  • chrisdrane
    Contributor - Level 2
    2014-12-12
    Hey All! I've been using the gsys for a couple years now and I have recently started playing with an acoustic group as well. We are experimenting with some different sounds and ideas. I am using the G-Natural and on about half the songs I am playing electric and about half of those are with overdrive and/or distortion. In my electric rig I have the Nova Drive controlled by the gsys...I am wondering if I can use the G-Natural in the same way? Right now I am just running the ND in the fx chain like a normal pedal. What I am hoping is that the gnat can control the presets tru midi. Anyone know if that'll work? The only reason I haven't just plugged in and tried is because I'm afraid that I might mess something up with the midi channels or something that would mess up my other rig...IF that gnat can do this, can I make the ND run on the same midi channel so all I'm doing is swapping out the pedal between rigs?

A side topic but has anyone used electric with acoustic simulator AND od/dist? I can't seem to get a good sound and I wonder if it's just not going to work that way. There's no bass or drums in this group so I'm trying to get a big full acoustic sound but using electric so we can play lead and stuff...if that makes sense! lol

Thanks for the input and info...I really appreciate it!
    read more...
    0 2,946
    • chrisdrane
      chrisdrane What I have figured out so far is that I can use the gnat with the ND but now I have a new issue. After I set everything up I tried to change the MIDI mapping to assign the ND presets to the few gnat presets that I am using OD/DS...it seems that the default mapping cannot be changed like it can in the Nova System. For example, the factory mapping looks like 1--》F0-1, 2-》F0-2, etc. (with 1--》F0-1, 2-》F0-2, etc. with "1" and "2" being the Nova Drive preset in this case). Like most I'm sure, I don't use the factory presets I tried to change the mapping to something similar to ... 1--> U1-1, 2--> U1-2, 3--> U1-3, etc. etc. but it's not working. I'm trying to keep it short but what I am describing above works perfectly on the Nova System. Anyone have any ideas?
      • December 27, 2014
Go to page