Statistics

290,000 members
172,584 posts
  • MartinHesketh
    Contributor - Level 2
    2017-09-02
    Hi All, after many attempts and failing can anyone here give me a step by step guide for setting up a tp link router AC750 travel router connecting to 5g. Please I have tried everything so need help desperatly. I have also purchased cat5e cable but realLy want to use wireless. I am Old School so at my wits end. Would prefer someone with the same router for help rgds Martin
    read more...
    0 931
    • MartinHesketh
      UlfBoettcher Hello Martin,

I tried to find information on your router, but there are several tp-link routers that are labeled AC7500.

Are you talking about this one? http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/cat-9_TL-WR902AC.html

Which operatiing system do you use (ios, android, windows)?

Without this information, it is very hard to help.

Cheers,

Ulf
      • September 2, 2017
    • MartinHesketh
      MartinHesketh Sorry, yes its the tp link wr902AC router. I am running x air edit through windows 10 4gb ram asus 16.5 screen ....
      • September 2, 2017
    • MartinHesketh
      UlfBoettcher Hi Martin,

would you like to join me in a skype session to talk this through?

Cheers,

Ulf
      • September 2, 2017
    • MartinHesketh
      MartinHesketh That would be awesome ! I will try get on skype with my mobile 1st to make sure its all working then reply here let you know all is ok rgds Martin
      • September 2, 2017
    • MartinHesketh
      MartinHesketh Hi Ulf, I just sent a skype freind request rgds Martin
      • September 2, 2017
  • zakhooi
    Contributor - Level 2
    2016-06-05
    Hi,

I use a Roland FC-300 in standard mode with the GMajor 2.
    All is fine, however I want to go to the last chosen preset when I hit a preset for the second time.

So in other words:
    Lets say I'm using Preset 2 and press Preset 3 I want to be able to return to Preset 2 by pressing Preset 3 again.

Can anyone tell me where to configure this? I'm not sure whether this should be done in the Gmajor2 or the FC-300.

Thanks in advance
    read more...
    0 2,311
    • zakhooi
      zakhooi Nobody who knows how?
      • June 7, 2016
    • zakhooi
      Fabione72 For sure that's not something you can do at Gmajor-2 level.

Usually this kind of feature are managed by the MIDI Controller itself (e.g. I'm using a Jad&Freer MidiMeno where I can send specific CC messages by pushing the program switch in a given way).

In your case you need a MIDI controller being able to store the previous Program, and to send it back when the switch for the program in use is pushed for the second time.

Not sure if Roland FC-300 can do it... I really never had the change to use it

ciao
      • July 3, 2016
    • zakhooi
      stantonj I use the Ground Control Pro and what you are desiring is not possible with that equipment. In my case, I assign my presets from left to right for a given song. If I want to return to desired preset, I just slide my foot over and select the previous one. For my application, the way I just described works great.
      • July 27, 2016
  • FelixHomann
    Super Contributor - Level 2
    2015-06-24
    I was playing around with my XR18 and thought it was a good idea to test all the inputs since I usually only use inputs 1-4 plus the line inputs (17/18). Unfortunately I found that channels 8 and 16 seem to be broken! They are over sensitive (if that's a word). Every slightest signal makes them clip. I had never used them before!

Has anyone else seen something like this?
    I've already reset the device to factory settings, reloaded the latest firmware. Is there anything else I can try but sending the XR18 in? Does anyone know how fast I can expect to get it back in Germany?
    read more...
    0 3,240
    • FelixHomann
      Michael_Lapke

Felix Homann;52776 wrote:

I was playing around with my XR18 and thought it was a good idea to test all the inputs since I usually only use inputs 1-4 plus the line inputs (17/18). Unfortunately I found that channels 8 and 16 seem to be broken! They are over sensitive (if that's a word). Every slightest signal makes them clip. I had never used them before!

Has anyone else seen something like this?

I've already reset the device to factory settings, reloaded the latest firmware. Is there anything else I can try but sending the XR18 in? Does anyone know how fast I can expect to get it back in Germany?

Hi Felix,

This is the first time I'm hearing about anything like this. Can you make a short video of what's happening and upload it so we can see your setup and what's happening with your XR18? Would be helpful if you can demonstrate the difference between channels 1-7 and 8-16 with how those channels are set. A scene of your setup would be helpful too you're willing to provide one, thanks.
      • June 24, 2015
    • FelixHomann
      FelixHomann

Michael Lapke;52781 wrote:

Can you make a short video of what's happening and upload it so we can see your setup and what's happening with your XR18? Would be helpful if you can demonstrate the difference between channels 1-7 and 8-16 with how those channels are set. A scene of your setup would be helpful too you're willing to provide one, thanks.

Hi Michael,

I'm sure screenshots will suffice.

Setup:

* XR18

* Initialized from "Setup -> Mixer tab -> Initialize

* Stereo linked channels 7/8 and 15/16

* For simplicity of setup: Connected a mp3 player on either 7/8 or 15/16 (doesn't make a difference if connected via XLR or TRS)

Result:

* 8 (16) signal level way higher than 7/15

* => distorted output

* I have made sure it's not the cable connecting the mp3 player or the mp3 player itself by switching the jacks.

* I have connected a mic; as well the result is the same

* I have checked all other inputs; only 8 and 16 are affected (wouldn't be surprised if they are physically/electronically related)

I've attached screenshots and the corresponding scene file.

I'm absolutely sure those inputs are broken and I will call the seller tomorrow.

P.S.: The screenshots are for channel 8 but the situation is exactly the same for channel 16. I just can't upload more for quota reasons. Every other channel besides 8/16 behaves like channel 7 when I feed the same signal in.xr18_issue_on_input8_channel_view.pngxr18_issue_on_input8_mixer_view.pngstereo_link_7_and_8__15_and_16.scn
      • June 24, 2015
    • FelixHomann
      Michael_Lapke Felix,

Thanks for all the info. Have you tried doing a hard reset using a paperclip in the little button on the front of the Mixer in the remote section above where it says Access Point?
      • June 24, 2015
    • FelixHomann
      FelixHomann

Michael Lapke;52785 wrote:

Felix,

Thanks for all the info. Have you tried doing a hard reset using a paperclip in the little button on the front of the Mixer in the remote section above where it says Access Point?

Yes, I have. Twice. I even reflashed the firmware.
      • June 24, 2015
    • FelixHomann
      Michael_Lapke Felix,

I can say with with certainty that channels 8 and 16 are in no way physically/electronically related. However, given the way you explained your issue it appears you very well might be having a hardware issue with those two channels on your mixer. Please reach out to our CARE department so that we can help you with your X AIR. You can reach us by phone at +44 1562 732290 in the UK or send an email to [email protected].
      • June 24, 2015
  • Bread
    Contributor - Level 2
    2015-04-18
    When I increase the volume on of my clean boost on a clean channel it works perfectly but doesn't make any difference on the high gain channel if the amp.

I'm using 4cm

Any help appreciated
    0 1,851
    • Bread
      Laird_Williams

Bread wrote:

When I increase the volume on of my clean boost on a clean channel it works perfectly but doesn't make any difference on the high gain channel if the amp.

I'm using 4cm

Any help appreciated

Where is your clean boost located? If it is before the G input or in one of the G's loops, then that is exactly the behavior that you should expect.

Placing a clean boost BEFORE the input to the preamp section of an amp has varying impacts on the sound, depending on how close to saturation the preamp gain stages are.

1) If the amp is already distorting heavily, then a clean boost will do almost nothing - not tone change and no volume change. You are already overdriving the amp as far as it can be overdriven, and overdriving it more by increasing the input signal level is unlikely to do anything. Try adding water to a saturated sponge. That is what you are trying to do here.

2) If the amp is distorting slightly, then boosting the input signal will add to the level of distortion and will, to a lesser degree, add volume. The cleaner the tone, the more the impact will be on overall volume.

3) If the amp is clean with lots of headroom, (so that adding to the input signal STILL does not overdrive the amp much) then, and only then, will the impact be a pronounced, almost pure change in volume.

This has nothing to do with the G. You would have the same issue if you were running guitar --> boost --> amp.

If you want a clean volume boost that works no matter what channel your amp is on, then you need the boost AFTER the preamp section of your amp. That means, for most people, in the insert loop.
      • April 18, 2015
    • Bread
      Bread Thanks Laird - ill continue to use the G System boost function.
      • April 18, 2015
  • matthieus
    Contributor - Level 2
    2014-05-27
    Hello,

I can't find any firmware for the Flashback Mini, and I can't use the Toneprint Editor.

Can you help me please?

thank you,

Matthieu
    0 1,106
  • MartyCansler
    Contributor - Level 2
    2017-10-22
    When do you use channel EQ Versus the main EQ? I am primarily a solo performer and practice with headphones. I usually EQ the channels in the headphones for my vocal and guitar. Once I plug into my powered speakers, I EQ the mains then. I have used some channel EQ curves I found in this forum - mainly for vocals.

I find I have an enormous amount of mid cut in both the channel and the main. I have a powered speaker and a sub. Am I hearing too much from the sub and this is why I feel I have to cut the mids so Much? It just seems muddy if I don’t. I usually turn the sub to about 5 (on the sub output) and the powered speaker about 5 as well (on the powered speaker output). I then adjust the volume per the xr12. Not sure how to adjust the sub since I never had one. I feed the powered speaker with left out and the powered speaker has a crossover when the sub is plugged in.

Any ideas?
    read more...
    0 1,100
    • MartyCansler
      CraigFowler Channel eq to fix (eg if a sound is too tubby, woody, nasally, boomy, shrill etc) or enhance the sound of individual channels. If you've got a decent set of cans, then what you're already doing is fine. BTW, I cannot overstate the importance of a high quality source signal, sensible mic choice, mic placement, and mic technique. Getting these things right generally means a whole lot less work for any sort of DSP to do.

Sometimes I also use a channel\bus eq to make different groups of vox\instruments sit nicely together. eg if there are vox and guitars all occupying the same frequency band and stomping on each other, I'd run all the guitars to a bus, notch out 2-2.5k a couple of dB on that bus, and suddenly the vocals become a lot clearer (obviously have to route bus>lr and unassign the original guitar channels from LR.) On some consoles I might use a side-chained deq or multiband comp, it depends how long I've got to get it sounding right.

LR\bus output eq used for 3 different things.

1: Making subs and tops play nicely together, and get as close as possible to flat frequency response over the full range. Obviously this is used in conjunction with whatever XO is present (or not.) It's easier if you're using subs and tops from the same manufacturer that are made to work well together, as normally they're tuned to play nicely together, which takes some load off the FOH eq, however that's not always the case. If you're using amps with no DSP and passive speakers with no protection, it might be worth using the eq to rolloff frequencies above and below what the drivers themselves can handle so they don't try to over-exert themselves.

2: Dealing with room acoustics\feedback.

^Normally I have some downstream speaker management (eg a Driverack) to handle 1&2 (and limiting\delays,) however if you don't then the FOH eq is the best you can hope for.

3: "Shaping" or "colouring" the mix, eg adding some treble in if you want it "brighter."

Don't use presets for the mains (unless they're manufacturer presets for your PA, as the manufacturers know what needs to be adjusted with their own speakers.) Normally a "vocal" preset will boost the mids anywhere from 1k-5k to make vocals clearer (that's where human hearing is most sensitive, google Fletcher Munson curves,) but it comes at the expense of cuts in other places, which might not affect a spoken voice, but can affect other instruments. These kind of presets really only work well if a spoken voice is the only signal that is ever going to be put through the PA. Chances are your mid cuts and vocal preset are fighting each other, and summing close to 0 anyway.

A few general eqing tips:

Cut rather than boost.

Less is more: the less you mess with the signal the more natural it'll sound.

Don't forget to use the hpf.

When trying to get rid of a "bad" sound (or feedback) start with the lower frequencies. If you start wasting bands notching out higher frequencies, chances are you're only notching out that bad sound's harmonics, and you still end up left with the fundamental, and no eq bands left to fix it. If instead you start with the fundamental, knocking that out that will mean the harmonics disappear too, without you needing to waste extra bands.

All that said, they're just my recommendations. At the end of the day, if what you've done sounds good, and you've not broken anything, then it doesn't matter what process you've followed, what your eq curves look like, or what you've used each eq for.

Re your gain structure:

What I'd recommend doing is starting with no eq on LR, the sub plugged in but not turned up at all (plugged in so that the top thinks it's there and will engage its own XO, rather than the top trying to output full range, not turned up so that the top can be listened to in isolation,) and some pink noise coming out of the console at -18dBFS.

Slowly turn up the top until it's comfortably loud in the room. It may not be anywhere near 5 o'clock.

Once the top is comfortably loud, start bringing the sub up until the bottom couple of octaves are at a comparable (acoustic) level to the top. Again, it might not be at 5 o'clock.

If you were to put a mic up to listen to the pink noise in the room and monitor it (make sure the mic's channel is muted\un-assigned from LR,) you'd probably notice a "hump" around the XO zone. This is because even if the XO point is set at 100Hz on both sub and top, it's not a cut, it's just a rolloff, and the rolled-off frequencies of one speaker will sum with the same frequencies produced by the other speaker at the normal (non rolled-off) level, giving you a higher-than-normal output of those frequencies. Some manufacturers have tuned their sub+top combos to try to take this into account, but it's not always perfect. Of course if you're mixing and matching different subs and tops, the manufacturer's preset configuration might be hindering more than helping anyway.

Either way, you'll probably be left with some sort of non-flat response, and this is when you start playing with your LR eq to try to smooth it out (and any other areas that have dips or humps.) Also listen out for room modes and notch them out too.

Assuming that you originally achieved the -18dBFS output with the faders at unity, then you can dial any other signal (vocal, guitar etc,) run it with its fader close to unity, and be sure that it'll be comfortable loud in the room.

HTH
      • October 22, 2017
    • MartyCansler
      TimPadrick As this is the response of a typical vocal mic, it would make sense to have a lot of low mid cut on your channel EQ. http://padrick.net/LiveSound/Proximity.jpg

Headphones tend to have a scooped midrange, and a lot of lows and low mids, which will adversely affect your home tweaking.
      • October 22, 2017
    • MartyCansler
      PhilToler

Marty Cansler;133667 wrote:

I am primarily a solo performer

Am I hearing too much from the sub and this is why I feel I have to cut the mids so Much? It just seems muddy if I don’t.

Any ideas?

If it is just you and a guitar the lowest frequency you need to amplify is 82Hz (the guitar E string) - well within the flat part of the frequency response curve of most full range speakers. The sub is only amplifying the unwanted sub-harmonics which is causing the muddiness. Personally I would simply not use a sub at all. Even a good pair of 8" full range speakers such as ZXA1's would be perfect for your needs without the need for subs.
      • October 22, 2017
    • MartyCansler
      MartyCansler Thanks Craig. I went through your experiment today with the pink noise. Never heard this before. This did work well. Could the xair iEQ app take me a step farther?

Phil,

I will try to take the sub out of the picture. After I read your post, I went back to the owner’s manual of the powered speaker. It does say the speaker range is down to 60hz. If I still have some muddies there, should I work with the high pass filter to roll some of that off?
      • October 23, 2017
    • MartyCansler
      MartyCansler

Tim Padrick;133673 wrote:

As this is the response of a typical vocal mic, it would make sense to have a lot of low mid cut on your channel EQ. http://padrick.net/LiveSound/Proximity.jpg

Headphones tend to have a scooped midrange, and a lot of lows and low mids, which will adversely affect your home tweaking.

Thanks Tim. Not sure I understand your graph. I am new to this stuff. Maybe the scooped midrange in the phones is what my ears are so accustom to hearing therefore I am trying to adjust this out on my EQ when playing through the powered speakers.
      • October 23, 2017
  • samaylwin
    Contributor - Level 1
    2015-10-14
    Hi, I need to know how to make the conections for change between chanels (clean/overdirve) from a Randall RX120RH
    0 646
  • FIRAS
    Contributor - Level 1
    2020-04-11

Hello everybody 

i want to use the x32 as a 5.1 sound card
    - the mixer is connected to the laptop with usb cable
    - i instaled the X USB DRIVER

- i have a problems in the laptop's configuration to select each channel ( L / R / C / SL / SR )

any help please

read more...
    0 158
    • FIRAS
      RexBeckett

Hello @FIRAS , welcome to the community.

You will need to use a media player that supports the ASIO sound interface. This would allow you to select the USB channel for each of the six sound sources.

• April 11, 2020
    • FIRAS
      FIRAS

How can I  do that ?? 

I don't know how I do a 5.1 setup on my laptop

• April 11, 2020
  • CraigGarnett
    Contributor - Level 2
    2018-04-09
    Do you use the inbuilt mic, an old beat up SM58 or something in particular to try and get the attention of the noisy folks on stage?

Craig
    0 1,087
    • CraigGarnett
      Roblof I use some cheap pg58’ish mic with a switch.
      • April 9, 2018
    • CraigGarnett
      CraigGarnett Thanks, I'd not considered an option with a switch.
      • April 9, 2018
    • CraigGarnett
      Vasco_Romijn Here we use JB Systems JB30 microphones. The switch is never used because on mixing consoles we use talkback buttons or the channel fader configured for talkback functions.
      • April 9, 2018
    • CraigGarnett
      Paul_Vannatto When I need to talk to someone onstage, I go there and talk to them (no on/off switch here)
      • April 9, 2018
    • CraigGarnett
      RichardYClark Then possibly the onstage crew wish that there was an on/off switch Paul?
      • April 10, 2018
  • zeppelin822
    Contributor - Level 1
    2020-04-17

XR18 is setup to output on USB but only channels 1 and 2. How do I route all 16 channels out usb 1and 2.

0 105
    • zeppelin822
      RexBeckett

@zeppelin822 

Hello David, welcome to the community.

Do you want to send the Main LR mix through USB Sends 1/2? This is done using XAir Edit on the In/Out -> USB Sends tab:

In/Out, USB SendsIn/Out, USB Sends

• April 17, 2020
Go to page