Statistics

305,338 members
189,620 posts
  • WagnerGarciaCam
    Contributor - Level 2
    2018-09-26
    Hello,

Please, can you help me choose a digital mixer that suits the needs of our band?
    We have a XR18 and we like it a lot, but the band is big, and we need more in/out ports.

Now we are making sub-mixes in the keyboards, acoustic guitars and drums... so we are still able to use the XR18. The band is 9 people, so we are using the 6 AUX for in-ear, and some people from the band are sharing the same mix with each other.

We need 37 in channels and at lease 9 out channels... we are using the USB port to send playbacks to the mixer... we are using the aux outputs for in-ear monitoring...

We like to have all these functions on the new mixer... and a good bonus is an IPHONE APP as the Xair doesn't have it...

A little search for 40 input channel mixers pointed me to X32 RACK, PreSonus StudioLive 32R, PreSonus StudioLive 24R and Midas M32C.

Please, can you help me choose the best mixer for our needs??

Although they say that these mixers are 40 input channel i can see only 22 channels on the X32, 32 channels on the PreSonus Mixers... so how can we have 40 channels?? Does it require another hardware?

Thanks again for your help.
    Wagner.
    read more...
    0 1,091
    • WagnerGarciaCam
      TylerTrice You can do everything with the X32rack***

as long as you add a S16 or SD16 stagebox to give you 32 mic pres

as long as you add a ADA8200 to make the 6 1/4" aux inputs have a mic pre, and or plug 1/4" in sources into the Aux in, ie pianos samplers etc
      • September 26, 2018
    • WagnerGarciaCam
      CraigFowler There are a few mixers around that can handle 37 in 9 out (though ideally I'd be looking at closer to 24 out so that everyone can be on stereo iems (better IEM mixes generally means the band plays better, and that's good for everyone,) and you have some buses left over for FOH.)

I'd probably go an A&H SQ5\6 + a stagebox to fill out the IO requirement.

A pair of X32-Racks could also work with some adventurous AES50 routing. Spencer Woodford and Paul V are both running a pair of those.

Need to know a few things to give more tailored recommendations:

Do you only need to mix monitors, or do you need FOH+monitors?

Do you actually need 37 preamps, or are there some line-level signals that could go into non-preamp inputs?

How many backing tracks are we talking? Just stereo, or is it multitrack, with some click + cue etc?

Are they included in your input count of 37, or do you need 37 physical (analogue) inputs, as well as some extra digital returns?

Do you (or whoever's actually mixing) prefer physical faders, or are you happy to just mix from a computer\tablet?

Are there space\weight constraints in terms of footprint, rackability etc.

What's your budget?

With the "40 channel" mixers that only go up to 32 channels, in some cases those mixers count their "aux" channels in that 40 channel count. Often these channels will have reduced functionality, eg for the X\M32 series, there are 32 channels with "full" processing (polarity inversion, line delay, hpf, gate, insert point, peq, compressor, pan,) but the remaining "aux" channels have limited processing: polarity inversion, peq, and pan only: no line delay, no hpf, no gate, no insert, and no compressor.) You have to plan ahead and figure out whether you'll be ok running 5 of your channels with only a peq (probably using one band to simulate the HPF.) If you need more processing than that, then the X\M32 series isn't for you.
      • September 26, 2018
    • WagnerGarciaCam
      GaryHiggins A full sized X32/M32 has 32 mic pre’s with 16 xlr outs. Add an SD8 stagebox (and utilize aux remap) and you can get up to 38 mic pre’s and another 8 outs standard from the SD8. You still have 6 aux in/outs to use or combos of each if you prefer. 38 in x 24 out. Can’t imagine needing a heck of a lot more and for not that much of a cash outlay. If you can manage with an XR18 you would be just fine with that.
      • September 26, 2018
    • WagnerGarciaCam
      SpenceWoodford

Wagner Garcia Campagner;152808 wrote:

We like to have all these functions on the new mixer... and a good bonus is an IPHONE APP as the Xair doesn't have it...

I'm not sure what you mean by that - I though the XR18 can ONLY be controlled via an app, and that you can use multiple devices to control different monitor mixes. If that is not the case for the XR18, it is definitely the case for X32.

A little search for 40 input channel mixers pointed me to X32 RACK, PreSonus StudioLive 32R, PreSonus StudioLive 24R and Midas M32C.

As others have responded above, the X32 Rack is only one of the available X32 mixers - there is the X32 'Full Size' (not the official name, which is just X32, which has 32 XLR + 6 TRS ('Aux Inputs') + 2 USB. Then there is the X32 Compact, X32 Producer, and X32 Rack. There also used to be an X32 Core, but that has been discontinued. All of the mixers have different controls and form factors (physical layouts), but the internal processing is identical.

Although they say that these mixers are 40 input channel i can see only 22 channels on the X32, 32 channels on the PreSonus Mixers... so how can we have 40 channels?? Does it require another hardware?
      . That is true for the X32 Rack, but the X32 'Full Size' has the inputs I mentioned above. In addition to the physical inputs on the desk, Behringer (and MIDAS) make compatible digital stage boxes that provide additional I/O, up to the S32, which provides 32 XLR in and 16 XLR out.

As has been mentioned above, my band uses 2 x X32 Racks. If you are willing to operate without physical faders (i.e. using just a tablet), then the X32 Rack offers the best value for money. Craig has asked some excellent questions above, and has much broader experience than me with a range of mixers, so I would definitely investigate the options that he has identified. What I would say about the 2 x X32 Rack option is that it would almost certainly provide you with all of the I/O that you would need, and also offers the ability for all band members to have a stereo IEM mix, which will improve the quality of your monitor mix immensely. The clever thing about the X32 'eco-system' is that the mixers and stage boxes can all act as the stage box for another mixer, so each X32 Rack in a 2 x X32 Rack setup acts as the stage box for the other, providing 12 XLR, and 6 TRS inputs (as described by Craig). A single X32 'only' has 16 busses plus the L/R and M/C busses, so if you use at least one of those bus pairs for effects (e.g. reverb), then you are down to 7 bus pairs for monitors. If some people want/prefer monitor wedges, then it *could* be made to work with a single X32 Rack, but you would need to buy at least an SD16 to give you the additional I/O you require.

If this sounds like it could be of interest, then I can provide additional detail on exactly how we use our X32 Racks to achieve a similar number of inputs to what you want to achieve. I would encourage you to answer Craig's questions so that we can be more specific in the advice provided.
      • September 26, 2018
    • WagnerGarciaCam
      WagnerGarciaCam Hello,

Thanks a lot for all the answers.

I'll put more info and answers so that we can choose the best options for us.

Do you only need to mix monitors, or do you need FOH+monitors?

We are trying to achieve all the possibilities, so if we go play in venues thathave FOH, they can do... if we go play in venues with no FOH, we can do with our equipment.

Do you actually need 37 preamps, or are there some line-level signals that could go into non-preamp inputs?

We have some line-level signals as well as some click track and playbacks that doesn't need preamps, i'll put the full input list below.

How many backing tracks are we talking? Just stereo, or is it multitrack, with some click + cue etc?

We are using Ableton Live to make all the click tracks and playbacks like this:

1 channel for click track an cues

2 channel (stereo) for the playbacks

2 channel (stereo) for returning anything else if needed.

Are they included in your input count of 37, or do you need 37 physical (analogue) inputs, as well as some extra digital returns?

Input list:

1 bass

4 acoustic guitars

6 voices

2 electric guitar

10 keyboard (5 stereo keyboards)

1 sax

8 channels for drum

1 click track

2 playbacks

2 spare channel for returning anything else from Live if needed

Do you (or whoever's actually mixing) prefer physical faders, or are you happy to just mix from a computer\tablet?

As we are a touring band, i think the computer/tablet option is better because of footprint and space.

Are there space\weight constraints in terms of footprint, rackability etc.

Yes, anwers above.

What's your budget?

We want to spend as little as possible.

I'm not sure what you mean by that - I though the XR18 can ONLY be controlled via an app, and that you can use multiple devices to control different monitor mixes. If that is not the case for the XR18, it is definitely the case for X32.

X Air doesn't have an Iphone APP, only Ipad and Android

That is true for the X32 Rack, but the X32 'Full Size' has the inputs I mentioned above. In addition to the physical inputs on the desk, Behringer (and MIDAS) make compatible digital stage boxes that provide additional I/O, up to the S32, which provides 32 XLR in and 16 XLR out.

I still didn't find 32 inputs on the X32 RACK... there is 16 preeamps input and 6 aux input... it's 22 inputs... where is the other 10 inputs?

About the IEM system, i was considering a mono system, but all of you are sugesting stereo IEM system... is it better than mono?? So we'll need 18 outputs for IEM (9 people on the band).

Thanks again,

Wagner.
      • September 27, 2018
  • SimoneGiusti
    Contributor - Level 3
    2018-09-12
    Hello,
    would you suggest the right Cat cable to connect X32 and S32 ?? (75 mt)
    I am a little bit confused ...

Thanks ...
    0 1,128
  • JimIngraham
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-02-15

I'm trying to find the x32 general forum...can someone guide me there please... this new forum upgrade is least intuitive internet forum I have ever come across.  thanks

1 520
    • JimIngraham
      Roblof

The community is no longer sub-section based. It is based upon tags instead.

So you can just enter the old subsection as a search criteria instead.

C23E7467-BB6E-49F8-9A28-C5F5A6197FD3.jpeg

• February 15, 2019
    • JimIngraham
      Paul_Vannatto

Hi Jim,

Yes this is a very different forum than what we've been use to over the past few years. It does not have product specific sections like the previous forum. But each post can be tagged by product and topic. And from what we've seen so far, the search engine does work better than the old one (which has been a gripe of many of us for some time). I would suggest you give this new "experience" a bit of time - it may just grow on us eventually (I already miss our beloved emoticons - Robert found them for me).

• February 15, 2019
    • JimIngraham
      DanRichardson

@Roblof wrote: 

So you can just enter the old subsection as a search criteria instead.

So I just have to remember exactly what the old forums were called, search on that, possibly sort it, and scroll through the messages that now take half a page instead of a few lines each? And of course, that will only work for old messages, because the new messages will get whatever tags they get, if any?

This is my delighted with the new forum face.

• February 15, 2019
    • JimIngraham
      Roblof

@DanRichardson It is kind of confusing for me as well. But I am as new to this as you are. I need to readjust to a different workflow. I’ve been with the old forum since 2013 so some things do feel odd with this new platform. 

However, it is now possible to do so much more here and will become the central hub for all MusicTribe related content.

User feedback will help us streamline the experience.

• February 15, 2019
    • JimIngraham
      DanRichardson

I have seen a list of tags in some views, and for a minute I had a view that was more an index of topic titles. Need to figure out how to see that all the time. They could also lose the forum header that fills an entire screen above everything.

Perhaps I can end up with bookmarks that point me at what I want.

• February 15, 2019
  • PeterNguyen
    Contributor - Level 2
    2018-10-31
    I remember seeing someone playing music (mp3) from their laptop connecting to X32 via USB.
    The software display all the songs in order they play. The good part was that when a song is played, it changed color and automatically highlight the next song. All the sound guy does was to hit enter on his laptop. Also, the fonts of the song names are big so they are easy to see in a dim lit situation.

Do you know of or have any recommendations for your favorite playback software that I can use on my laptop to play music to my X32 via USB as such?

Thank you in advanced for your help!

Peter Nguyen
    read more...
    0 1,084
    • PeterNguyen
      LucHenrion There are soooooo many of them ! What is the goal ? Just background music ? Playback for performers ? Theatre cues ? Etc... There are better solutions for each purpose.
      • October 31, 2018
    • PeterNguyen
      Vasco_Romijn As Luc already wrote, what is your goal?

But to start;

For theater I'm using the number #1 favorite of all techs in Europe, QLab. Disadvantage, only for Apple. For most users here the free version will do I guess.

For Windows I found something in the past called MultiPlay but they stopped with this software and it was bad with MP3 so you had to convert all your audio to WAVE before using it. MultiPlay cutted the high frequencies from the MP3 audio and that sounds horrible. The software was nice but by far not QLab.

These days I do not know if there is something like QLab for Windows, so far I'm aware of not.
      • October 31, 2018
    • PeterNguyen
      KevinMaxwell

Vasco Romijn;154514 wrote:

As Luc already wrote, what is your goal?

But to start;

For theater I'm using the number #1 favorite of all techs in Europe, QLab. Disadvantage, only for Apple. For most users here the free version will do I guess.

For Windows I found something in the past called MultiPlay but they stopped with this software and it was bad with MP3 so you had to convert all your audio to WAVE before using it. MultiPlay cutted the high frequencies from the MP3 audio and that sounds horrible. The software was nice but by far not QLab.

These days I do not know if there is something like QLab for Windows, so far I'm aware of not.

SCS Show Cue Systems maybe. Probably more complicated then the OP is looking for.

https://www.showcuesystems.com/cms/
      • November 1, 2018
    • PeterNguyen
      PeterNguyen Thanks all for the comments.

The goal is to do backtrack playback with cue.

Also great if the app can mark tracks as played, so at a glance, I can quickly see what has been played and what next (it's sometimes hard to see during dimmed lighting situations).

Thanks,

Peter Nguyen
      • November 1, 2018
    • PeterNguyen
      LucHenrion Uncompressed WAV files are of course to be prefered to mp3... so Multiplay is still a viable option.

But any DAW should do the job too (Reaper, Cubase, etc.) Just put some markers at the right place
      • November 1, 2018
  • RonniSantmyer
    Contributor - Level 2
    2018-10-21
    I used my card I just installed the other night.. Wanted to do a virtual soundcheck.
    But use the tools I use.. Which I use live Professor for plug-ins on my kick, snare, vocal buss, then 2 more chains I have inserted on busses for verbs..

But I wasn't thinking about this until after I did this if course.. If i route the SD card to mixer for playback then I can't route my 5 plugin inserts thru laptop...

Any work arounds I'm missing?
    read more...
    0 1,040
    • RonniSantmyer
      LucHenrion I'm afraid there is no workaround... if you choose SD playback, you can't use USB playback simulatneously, it's a global choice. You could make a virtual soundcheck from your laptop however... as it was already possible before the "X-Live".
      • October 21, 2018
    • RonniSantmyer
      RonniSantmyer Thanks I should have known better.. but wasn’t thinking..I liked the idea of being able to fire tracks from my tablet for control while at front of house.. but using my Rack and laptop it’s usually on stage so hitting play off Reaper isn’t as easy..

Plus not sure how that works either... Yesterday when I was firing a song from Reaper and had the X32 routed for it I couldn’t use Live Professor for plugs as same time either..

And then for some reason i couldn’t get Reaper just to send 2 channels off it’s 2buss to channels 31/32 on X32.. it could send the 23 tracks I had in Reaper to the X32. But the when I changed it to just stay summed in Reaper but send the master out to X32 to monitor wouldn’t send not sure why..

But all and all now that I got myself with starting points for live saved with these plugins which I like can’t use them with the card.. so still have to do live sound checks.. funny I was hoping I guess when I got it.. thought doing virtual soundcheck would help me figure out latency before I check the band live.. but no go...
      • October 21, 2018
    • RonniSantmyer
      LucHenrion Well... a virtual sound check from Reaper is possible, and you can even use immediately what you've recorded on your SD card(s), but sure it's more routing work, and Reaper is not the most simple DAW I know, regarding routing...

If you are using a Windows laptop, did you try Bandlab "Cakewalk" (= Sonar)? 100% Free... until now!
      • October 21, 2018
    • RonniSantmyer
      RonniSantmyer Well Reaper is not a problem I use it full time as my job in my studio..

But I can do a playback as I've done in the past with Reaper.. But just like the SD card.. if I'm playing back.. the routing you have to change kills the idea of having that routing setup for Live Professor in the Laptop running all my plugins..

The hope was to do virtual sound check and hear tracks.. but doesn't do my much good to hear the raw tracks from SD or Reaper if I can't hear the plugins they add to much to the mix layout I use every weekend.. and I have so Fly dates coming so wanted to be able to do some tweaking..

Guess it's fine I have the card now for future recording.. if I ever need to track a tune at a show..
      • October 22, 2018
    • RonniSantmyer
      GaryHiggins

Ronni Santmyer;154064 wrote:

I use live Professor for plug-ins on my kick, snare, vocal buss, then 2 more chains I have inserted on busses for verbs..

How do you normally rout your card outs? Do you use 'local' as the source or do you use a staging menu to get other tap points? How do you normally insert the plugins in your audio chain? Wondering where the results of what the plugin does occurs in your normal mixing path. A Waves Multirack type setup or something similar comes to mind.
      • October 22, 2018
  • nothingness
    Contributor - Level 1
    2019-02-28

Hi, I got UMC22 recently and tried to find a driver, but I was able to find only Asio4All driver. I installed it, but my DAW, Studio One 4, doesn't recognize the device. 

My laptop spec is below:

CPU: i7 6700HQ

RAM: 16GB

SSD: 128GB

HHD: 1TB

read more...
    0 76
  • AndreasBaumecke
    Contributor - Level 2
    2016-09-15
    Hallo!

One week or so until Apple releases its latest OS.

Since it took ages to update the Firewire driver on the Venice F series consoles when Apple changed to El Capitan, I was wondering if macOS Sierra will be supported from the start this time.

I do want to update to the latest OS quickly but of course I don't want to lose the ability to work in the studio either.

Thanks for letting me know.
    read more...
    0 12,630
    • AndreasBaumecke
      ChaseMcKnight Hi Andreas,

Just as a general practice, it's best to not upgrade operating systems if your current system is working properly. You'll find many studio owners tend to not be early adopters of the latest operating systems for this very same reason -- if the console firmware isn't a conflict, it could be the DAW, or third-party plugins within the DAW, etc.

With that prefaced, I will reach out to our software team and see if and when Sierra will be supported for VeniceF consoles. This will likely take some time so we strongly recommend staying at El Capitan until further notice.
      • September 15, 2016
    • AndreasBaumecke
      MichaelTMoore Hi, can you please let us know if there has been any updates regarding Mac OS Sierra compatibility? I bought a Midas F16R about two months ago and am hoping to use it with one of my band members Mac laptop that shipped with Sierra already on it. Thanks
      • December 9, 2016
    • AndreasBaumecke
      MichaelTMoore Hi, I actually just tested it again and the current driver (4.2.1) actually does work with Sierra! What doesn't work is the firewire to Thunderbolt adaptor I just bought. It works when I run the F16R into my Apple Thunderbolt Display's FW port, and then to the MacBook, but when I put the Firewire to Thunderbolt adaptor in the chain (regardless of if I plug directly into the MacBook or Thunderbolt Display) it doesn't work. Anyone know if I just got a bad adaptor? Or is this a known issue, and if so do any 3rd part adaptors work with F16R? Thanks!
      • December 9, 2016
    • AndreasBaumecke
      PhilBolland Hi Michael

Just bought an f16 and having exact same problem. Device not found when connecting to thunderbolt with an apple converter on my mac book pro. Really frustrating! Did you get yours to work?

Midas - is there a workaround?

Thanks!
      • January 3, 2017
    • AndreasBaumecke
      JesseCoutu

Chase McKnight;84816 wrote:

Hi Andreas,

Just as a general practice, it's best to not upgrade operating systems if your current system is working properly. You'll find many studio owners tend to not be early adopters of the latest operating systems for this very same reason -- if the console firmware isn't a conflict, it could be the DAW, or third-party plugins within the DAW, etc.

With that prefaced, I will reach out to our software team and see if and when Sierra will be supported for VeniceF consoles. This will likely take some time so we strongly recommend staying at El Capitan until further notice.

Any news on Sierra? How about Windows 10 and Thunderbolt3 compatibility?
      • January 25, 2017
  • LinaGreyfall
    Contributor - Level 1
    2016-01-29
    Hello, id like to start off by saying i have practically no experience with audio equipment and a lot of the terms will go straight over my head, i know just barely enough to use my audio mixer for the purposes i have been using it.

I am currently in the process of upgrading my Live streaming set-up and am getting a bit confused as to how to handle my audio set-up with my mixer due to some changes in equipment.

for those not aware of the live streaming scene; i basically review an discuss live game-play of video games on a variety of platforms, think radio but with video..

To make things easier i am going to give a rough idea of how my set-up used to be:

I have an se2200a ii condenser mic wired up to my Behringer Xenyx QX1204USB. i use the Audio mixer to manage the volume levels of my microphone pc game-play, console game audio and music individual while i am streaming. i also had my Aux sends 1 hooked up to my speakers, so i can send just my game audio.. or game audio + Skype chat (if i'm streaming with a friend) to my speakers for me to hear. my Aux sends 2 was leading back into the computers microphone port so i can send just my voice from the mic to Skype.
    When combined with all my console video cables etc this becomes a mess of wires that is difficult to keep track of.

The problem i am now having is that i have got my hands on a 7.1 Surround sound speaker system for gaming and a 7.1 sound card for my pc. this connects to the speakers using 5-6 3.5mm jacks for left right front and back speakers + sub-woofer. To further confuse myself my pc has been moved to a different room with extension cables running through a hole i drilled in the wall( this was so that my microphone would no longer pick up vibrations from my pcs cooling system, allowing me to stream games with the graphics at max), so i am also concerned about the loss of sound quality over the longer 2m-5m extension cables i am using.

What i want to do is preserve the surround sound so that while playing games i hear enemy's and events behind me from the rear speakers, things in front of me from the front speakers etc, but i also need to output all my audio to the mixer so that my stream will still hear it.
    As the mixer is not a 7.1 multichannel 'whatever' type of sound, my old set-up (using aux sends to output game audio to the speakers) no longer works for this.

In addition 90% of my Games consoles output their surround sound audio in the format of a Digital optical cable, which the speaker system does not accept. they need to send sound both to the speakers and to my mixer for the live stream to pick-up. in the past i had been using independently powered conversion boxes to turn my optical out to a stereo audio and then into my mixer. as this compresses all the different speaker directions into one audio channel this is no longer viable with a 7.1 speaker set-up.

In short i am completely lost,
    I appreciate any help or advice on this issue as the sooner i work out what i need the sooner i can get back to my live streaming schedule.

Lina Greyfall
    read more...
    0 941
    • LinaGreyfall
      FlorianGerstenl If you are fine with 5.1 you could use a XR18 + Teufel Decoderstation 5.

This will give you the full flexibility of routing, recording and mixing.

With some tricks you could even generate a ProLogic Surround compatible stereo mix for the stream.
      • January 30, 2016
  • CristianUngur
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-04-04

Hello .. I have a X Touch One.

I deleted in Logic Pro X/ Controllers Assigment/ Channel Strip/ Ch 1 Fader Volume and the fader isn't working any more. I tried copying the settings from Ch 2 but no succes. Can anyone tell me parameters I should have or post a picture  to make it work again?

Thank you very much!

Cristian

read more...
    0 166
    • CristianUngur
      DaveMorrison

@CristianUngur 

If you just want to go back to default. 

Logic Pro X > Control Surfaces > Rebuild Defaults

OR

Logic Pro X > Control Surfaces > Setup

and select your device and delete it. (it will come back).

• April 4, 2019
  • AaronCarey
    Contributor - Level 2
    2018-12-02
    Is there someplace at a glance that I can see how solo affects which paths? I wasn't 100% clear from the block diagrams
    0 108
Go to page