Statistics

294,687 members
177,809 posts
  • kevonavitch
    Contributor - Level 1
    2020-07-23

Hi,

I have a few MIDAS DP48s for the band members. Running them from X32/M32 mixers. Been able to import group names and manually program groups. But I have not been able to figure out how to use the Auto Assign by group or color features. Do you need a HUB4 to use this capability?

Also, I found an AES50 Group name assignment feature in the Library section of the X32-Edit software. I can input the information there but don't know how to push it out to the DP48. Does it also require a HUB4 to allow this feature to work?

Thanks!

Kevin

read more...
    0 440
    • kevonavitch
      Paul_Vannatto Hi Kevin,

Are you getting the channel names and colors in the DP48 via AES50? If so the auto assign by color should work (based on those channel colors). I haven't used that feature for over a year now.

The AES50 section of the library should work (as long as you are using X32 firmware 4.02 and DP48 firmware 1.4). You need to put the DP48 in slave mode (in the Setup). Then in the AES50 library (of X32) select broadcast to A or B (depending on which AES50 port you are using for the DP48)
      • July 22, 2020
    • kevonavitch
      kevonavitch Thanks, Paul. I really appreciate the quick answer. I had firmware 4.01 on the M32C and the new 1.5 on the DP48. Update the first. My issue might have been that I forgot to turn on the internal clock on the M32C (usually it is slaved to the X32 as a monitor mixer). I was able to get it to both pick up the auto assign and the library broadcast features. Worked beautifully!

I had another question about where to tap the signal but I'll start another thread to create a separate headline.
      • July 24, 2020
      • MIDAS DP48 Auto Assign Groups by Name/Color
        Paul_Vannatto Ah yes, 4.01 had issues. Updating to 4.02 will help. Glad to hear you got it working. I'll watch for your other thread.
        • ·
        • July 24, 2020
        kevonavitch Another thought came to mind. When I first tried it, it was from my X32. But I had the DP48 daisy-chained after our SD16 stage box. Does the stage box potential strip out the channel messages from the X32. I think I recall reading that the DP48 should be wired first (which seems risky). And if that is the necessary to allow the channel messages to reach the DP48, how much latency would each box add to the signal in the chain (we have 3)?

Sorry for all the questions! I'm finding it hard to get clear answers online since the product is so new.
        • July 24, 2020
        kevonavitch I'm back in the practice room testing. It seems the stage boxes are the problem. When I put the AES50 directly in to the DP48, the broadcast works. With my two SD16s in between, the message does not reach. I notice the latest DP48 firmware talks about allowing name commands to go through stage boxes (I have 1.5 installed). I suspect I may have to update the firmware for the SD16s. Will give that a try and report back.

Thanks again for your help, Paul.
        • July 25, 2020
  • New
    Johnnyh64
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2021-07-02

Want to purchase a Midas DP48 monitor system because our band uses the M32r.  However, personally I also own a Behringer XR18 that uses Ultranet instead of AES.  I see in the marketing info that it says that the DP48 works with all Midas and Behringer digital mixers, being that the XR18 is a Behringer digital mixer, I wonder if this is true.  Does anybody have a definite answer to this question as I'd love to use the DP48 with my Behringer XR18 as well.  Thank you!

read more...
    0 626
    • Johnnyh64
      Paul_Vannatto No the DP48 does not work with the X-Air or M-Air consoles, since they do not have the AES50 (which the DP48 requires)
      • July 2, 2021
  • New
    DouginAlaska
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2021-03-11

I have a HoW installed M32R connected to a DL16 stagebox thru AES50-A.  How do I configure AES50-B on the DL16 to send to the daisy-chained DP48s used as IEMs on stage? Currently, the DP48s are connected directrly to the M32R on AES50-B on a CAT5 mess along the floor edge. If I could run the DP48s off the AES50-B from the DL16, I would be able to avoid running cable thru the ventilation system, crawl spaces, walls, and drop ceiling to get to the DL16 in the rack at FOH. Will the Hub4 do this or is there a more economical solution?

read more...
    1 70
    • DouginAlaska
      Paul_Vannatto Hi Doug, you can daisy-chain the DL16 and the DP48, understanding that the first 8 outputs from the M32 will be assigned for DL16 outputs. These will also pass through (downstream) to the DP48. It also means that you will only have AES50 9-48 available for the DP48.

The other issue is the upstream signals (see page 6 in the DL16 User Manual). These are shifted one bank over when passing through the stagebox. This will be important if you plan on using the talkback functionality of the DP48 for the musicians to communicate with FOH, because the talkback on the DP48 is on AES50 channel 48. Therefore when passing through the DL16 to the M32, the talkback will disappear. This is why it is recommended to either have the DP48's fed by the other AES50, or get a Hub4 which has a true pass through.
      • March 11, 2021
      • Routing DP48s thru DL16
        GaryHiggins Very helpful advice! Makes perfect sense when I think more about it. I have not used them in a stage box daisy chain but I am going to note this for future reference.
        • March 12, 2021
  • New
    GregWarren
    Contributor - Level 3
    2021-07-19

I have 6 DP48s and they've been rock solid until last Sunday when we used them. I had some completely drop all signal coming into them. It seemed like 1 worked and the rest dropped out. They eventually reconnected but that's a no-go when you're using a click track. Suggestions?

My signal chain: Midas M32>AES50B>DP48>DP48>DP48>DP48>DP48>DP48

read more...
    0 70
    • GregWarren
      GregWarren I did some digging around and found that my firmware was woefully behind on the dp48s. It was 1.5 and I updated to 2.2. My 2 DL16s were 2.4 and I update to 2.5 and my Midas M32 is 4.02 so I think we're good there. I will have practice Wednesday and update if I have more signal loss.
      • July 19, 2021
    • GregWarren
      Paul_Vannatto Hey Greg, are you using proper AES50 cable (shielded with ethercon ends)?
      • July 19, 2021
      • Dropout on DP48
        GregWarren I'm running shielded cable but it's not ethercon.
        • July 20, 2021
    • GregWarren
      Paul_Vannatto Hey Greg, Brian Wynn proved to us (back in 2013) that the ethercon ends are very important in shielding the cable from ESD (electrostatic discharge) which results in AES50 dropouts. So if you have low humidity, this may be the source to your dropouts.
      • July 21, 2021
  • New
    joshtew
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2020-12-26

There is currently no way to assign a name to the saved preset slots(FW v1.9), from a management point of view this is a problem as musicians may not remember which slot they saved their preset to and slots will get used up pretty quickly and things get messy when musicians end up overwriting another's preset slot.

Please do add in a feature to name the preset slots for easy identification, and to edit the name as well.

read more...
    0 108
  • New
    ecfsanjose
    Newcomer - Level 2
    2021-06-17

On WING + DL32, how many DP48s can be daisy chained without issue? I could use the second AES port  off the WING or the through connection from the DL32 stagebox.

Thanks

Matheos

0 73
    • ecfsanjose
      Paul_Vannatto I think the answer is the same as to how many P16 can be daisy chained - we're not sure.
      • June 17, 2021
    • ecfsanjose
      DavidKnighton Hello ecfsanjose,
      I'm not sure if there is an exact number, but I know at some point there was a class full of X32/M32 that were all daisy chained, between 30-40 mixer without issue. That being said, you should probably make use of a HUB4, because 1 bad cable link can disrupt the whole AES50 stream. A HUB4 will distribute up to 4 separate streams for better management.
      • June 17, 2021
    • ecfsanjose
      ecfsanjose Thanks Paul, David
      • June 17, 2021
    • ecfsanjose
      joshtew Do note that talkback function doesn't work between daisy chained DP48s.
      • July 7, 2021
  • mrbrettclark
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2020-07-12
    I have a Midas Pro2c and my musicians use the new DP48. I want to be able to talk to my musicians dp48s. Suggestions on how to make that happen? We used to be able to do it through our line 6 in-ear packs.
    0 124
    • mrbrettclark
      Paul_Vannatto If you are using the latest DP48 firmware (1.4), you can use AES50 chan 48 (both directions) as talkback. At least we can with the X32/M32 and Wing.
      • July 12, 2020
    • mrbrettclark
      Nigel67 Hi Brett, the DP48 only works at 44.1 or 48K whereas the PRO2C is 96K. You would need a DN9650 with an AES50 card to downsample from 96 to 48K. The channel info (LCD scribble colour/name/icon) from Pro Series is not shared to DP48 via AES50.
      • July 13, 2020
    • mrbrettclark
      ramagochi Unfortunately there is not a Pro version of the DP48 (A poor fix as Nigel wrote), a shame
      • September 10, 2020
  • New
    WDuester
    Contributor - Level 3
    2021-02-09

I'm wondering if anyone has used, or could comment, on using CAT5e or CAT6 unshielded cable for a DP48 daisy chain system.

I've already read the 'recommended shielded' information and don't need posts re-iterating the same.

This post is to solicit real world installations where end users may have used unshielded CAT cable and I'm interested in the results and learnings of doing that.

I have an existing CAT network from the M32 mixer to the rack and from the rack to stage boxes that is all unshielded CAT6.  I'm stongly leaning toward migrating to the DP48 personal monitor system.

I'm trying to figure out if I really need to replace all the CAT6 unshielded cable with shielded. Does unshielded really affect the performance of the system?

read more...
    0 291
Go to page