Statistics

227,993 members
102,796 posts
  • New
    duliming70
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2021-03-31

Sorry, New to the community. Just bought Harmony singer 2 and MP75 mic. but can not make the Mic to control the pedal. updated firmware as instructed, but still not working. Anybody here can give me a trick?

0 14
    • duliming70
      RexBeckett Hi there, did you try enabling Mic Control?

Quote from the manual: Mic Control allows you to control the effect's on/off status via an MP-75 microphone. Press and hold the footswitch while powering up the unit to toggle Mic Control.
      • Mar 31
  • New
    josephst9
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2020-11-27

Hi

I would like to know how i can use an external volume pedal with my TCH play acoustic? i got a Valeton Surge EP2 but i am not sure how to connect it and use it with the pedal jack on the TCHPA. Thanks in advance

Joe

0 24
    • josephst9
      PetGerbil Do you want to use it as a Volume pedal, or an Expression pedal ? as it looks like that pedal can do both. The socket on the back of the Play-A is expecting an Expression pedal, which you would connect a stereo jack lead from Valeton output to. (leave the input of the pedal empty)

If you want to use it as a Volume pedal, then connect the guitar to Valeton input then the output to the Play-Acoustic input. (not the pedal jack input)
      • November 27, 2020
      • External volume pedal for TCH Play acoustic
        josephst9 Thanks Pet for your response. I am actually looking to use this for controling the volume of the voice part. The scenario is, when i am singing in church, i wanted to control the volume between prayers and singing (higher volume for singing and medium volume for prayers/responses). So i picked this up to see if i could use this for volume control
        • November 27, 2020
    • josephst9
      kiskadar69 To the best of my knowledge, Play Acoustic cannot use the expression pedals plugged into its pedal input. It works with Switch-3 (or compatible) and Switch-6 pedals, and Play Acoustic must be configured accordingly.
      • November 27, 2020
        PetGerbil Aaahhh. Ooops. my apologies then. Thanks for the info kiskadar69. I assumed too much,

In that case....ahem.. Use it as a volume control, Joseph. either in between the mic and the Play-acoustic or Play acoustic and amp/pa/mixer.
        • November 27, 2020
    • josephst9
      PetGerbil I haven't looked at what you can assign the expression pedal to on a Play-A, but I should think Volume should be do-able. Of the two, I think I'd use it as an expression pedal plugged in the back and then set it to control volume.
      • November 27, 2020
        PetGerbil ignore this...see above
        • November 27, 2020
  • New
    jim1425
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2021-01-12

HI IM NEW HERE, IM PLANNING TO PURCHASE A TC HELICON PERFORM V OR A PERFORM VK..JUST WANT TO KNOW IF BOTH DETECT PROPER KEY VIA AUX INPUTS OR ANY FROM ITS INPUTS ON BOARD TO DETECT OR GUESS THE RIGHT KEY IN ORDER TO USE THE HARMONY EFFECTS....I DONT PLAY GUITAR OR KEYBOARD ..JUST LOVE TO SING AND RECORD VIA MINUS ONE OR BACKTRACKS(KARAOKE)

THANKS COMMUNITY FOR ANY HELP OR REPLY.

JIM

read more...
    0 18
    • jim1425
      ChrisEdwards1 Hi jim1425, both the Perform V and VK can detect keys via a backing track via Aux or with the use of the Roomsense feature. The Roomsense feature will use in the built-in Microphone on the unit to listen for chords in the room from a guitar or piano and try to figure out key and scale from that.

The Perform VK is also capable of doing this with a Keyboard connected.
      • Jan 13
      • HARMONY KEY DETECTION BY AUX OR MIC
        jim1425 Thank you for such a pleasant reply.....more power to you and God bless you too..
        • ·
        • Jan 13
  • BRymes
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-08-23

Hello, I have recently purchased a VoiceLive 3 Extreme.

Can the stereo guitar input be used to provide 2 separate inputs from my piezo & humbucker equipped guitar?

I have a PRS hollowbody that I would like to use for both acoustic and humbucker songs. I have recently purchased a Parker "Y" cable that combines the 2 mono guitar signals into a stereo input jack.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PARKER20--pro-co-parker20-magnetic-piezo-guitar-y-cable-20-foot

Thank you.

read more...
    0 163
    • BRymes
      Boydsongs

I don't see any way to do that, since the VL3 only has a single guitar input. The way to get around it, is to use an A/B box after the VL3, and run to different amps, or channels. I use a similar guitar, and there are enough tweaks in the VL3 to handle acoustic, and electric sounds without running separate amps. [disclaimer} I do NOT use a lot of distotion effects, as I'm mostly rhythm, and surf leads.

• August 23, 2019
    • BRymes
      BRymes

I realize that there is only 1 guitar input, but my understanding is that it's supposed to be a stereo jack. 

The parker "Y" cable assigns the piezo to the to the tip of the sterio jack and assigns the humbucker to the ring of the sterio jack. (essentially 2 mono inputs in 1 stereo jack) 

I would like to be able to set up my acoustic presets to draw from the pan left/tip input and the humbucker presets to draw from the pan right/ring of the sterio input jack.

• August 23, 2019
    • BRymes
      KenMitchell

@BRymes 

Hi Bill, 

The Guitar Input on the VL3X is a TS Mono not Stereo.  The 3.5mm Aux input next to it is a stereo input but that's for line level accessories such as an iPod, etc. 

Ken

• August 23, 2019
  • Cstotland
    Contributor - Level 3
    2020-04-23

Can anyone tell me the maximum supported DC voltage input for a VL3?  I need to run it from batteries.   Can it take a 13.6VDC input and not let the smoke out?  I'm looking to run it off a 12.8 vdc LFP battery,  which can start as high as 13.6 fully charged.  It would be a plus if the VL3 can accept up to 15VDC.

read more...
    0 56
    • Cstotland
      Cstotland

I still need an answer to this.

Someone please respond with answer.

• April 28, 2020
    • Cstotland
      SimonBlakely

I would add a power regulator to the battery to provide regulated 12V DC.

It's the only way to be sure and safe.

• May 1, 2020
  • BigangboBonanno
    Contributor - Level 3
    2019-07-04

I am looking for information on what each parameter means under the Harmony and Double voice choices  ??? For example < Gender , has quite a few choices but no explanation of what each one is suposed to do  ?  Porta ds? Smooth ?  Etc. There are many pages under Harmony as you scroll down and no where do I find explanations of each item I scroll down to > Yes some are self explanitory but quite a few I have no idea what they mean. On The Highs and Lows and Mid range areas it lists certain frequnceys but I I do not know where is a area I should be dialing in for , plus use on an outboard PA these adjustments to EQ mess them up too... . So confusing . Nothing in its booklet or downloads go over any of these parameters.... HELP ????  I tried using the presets given or downloaded but they need fine tuning for my voice. the more I play around and adjust the worse it gets... Does any one know the meaning of these parameters...  Last question is the double part used just to dowble your voice and not create a 2nd harmony for a Duo type song,  for Ex. Think Everly Brothers.  

read more...
    0 614
    • BigangboBonanno
      TCH-Rob

Hi @BigangboBonanno!

I'm going to do my best to list all of the paramaters under Harmony and Doubling and give a brief explanation of what each does. If you have any further questions feel free to ask! I've also attached an eq cheat sheet which might help you to figure out which frequencies you may want to cut or boost. Try using the Voicelive's looper to record your harmonies, and listen to what you want to change about them. Then find that issue on the cheat sheet to determine which frequencies you need to cut or boost. Before changing the eq settings, I would make sure that in the "tone" tab of your Voicelive's setup menu you have the tone parameter set to on, and the shape, compress, and de-ess knobs are set to around 50. This will add adaptive eq and compression to your voice, and you may find that you don't need to add other eq in the harmony menu!

- Lead level: volume of your lead vocal

- Level: volume of harmony effect

- Human Style: determines how the humanize parameter behaves. 

- Humanize: varies the dynamics and pitch of the harmonies to sound more human. Depending on which humanize style you select and what percentage you dial in, this can create anything from subtle variation to an extreme effect. 

- Vib Style: Determines the way that vibrato behaves, e.g. the attack/decay of the effect, the shape of the vibrato, the speed of the vibrato, etc.

- Vibrato: Determines the depth of the pitch and amplitude modulation created by vibrato

- Pan: Determines the stereo spread of the harmonies

- Gender: shifts the formant and register of harmonies without effecting pitch. This control is bipolar; turning the knob left will make your voice sound more "male" and turning it right will make it sound more female. You get seperate control of the gender of each harmony and doubling voice, which is why you see "V1 Gender, V2 Gender, etc."

- Porta (portatempo in double): Effects the amount that harmony notes "glide" between one another. With no porta notes will shift immediately, with porta there will be a glissando between notes. You get seperate control of portatempo on each harmony and doubling voice, which is why you see "V1 Porta, V2 Porta, etc."

- Smooth: Smoothing effects the amount of pitch correction applied to the harmonies. When smoothing is at 100%, harmonies won't be pitch corrected at all, and notes will smoothly transition between one another as they are sung. When at 0%, the harmony notes will be fully pitch corrected and sound autotuned. The downside of 100% smoothing that if a singer is at all pitchy, the harmony notes will be pitchy as well. We've found that the most natural sounding smoothing settings for most singers is between 90-95%. Each voice has individual smoothing control, which is why you see ""V1 Smooth," "V2 Smooth," etc.

Hope this helps!

vocaleq.jpg
      • July 5, 2019
    • BigangboBonanno
      TCH-Rob

@BigangboBonanno , to make simple doubling effects without creating new harmonies, try the "1 voice tight" setting in the "double" tab!

• July 5, 2019
    • BigangboBonanno
      BigangboBonanno

I thought I replied to you when I got this . But apparently it did not accept my reply. I Thank You so much.. I have been using your advice and yes it is getting better.  I have tone off due to when on it gets too distorted when I sing louder even though Green Light on unit stays well below the red , hardly goes into yellow in fact.  and the tone setting on the highs make me sound just too bright and squeaky and a bit of distortion comes in. This is regarless of using Adaptive or not. Yes I tried messing with EQs and I have to almost turn off the highs and bring up lows and mids to get close but still the squeaky ness I cannot get out. Turn tone off and all is better. Yes Tried different Mics. SM 58 , 57 the TC helicon mics and an Audio Technica SM58 Beta type. The shure SM 58 and 57 sound the best to me . I am a tenor but I can go somewhat lower range and can hit some very decent high notes too... I have not messed with the Gender for the ones set on the Harmony I chose are pretty good for me at the moment.  Yes using Natural Play for the guitar chord and my vocal , the pitch on harmony takes a second to catch up for some reason at some very hard times. I  only chose Natural Play for the first vocal and leave the rest alone with nothing on except unison or maybe an octave above.  If I put Natural play on rest of harmonies things go pretty bad.. Yes I tried to dial in the paratmeters , I took off auto tune in main menu , I sing on key prettly well , and left the smooth parameter setting at your suggestions and tried with close adustments there to dial in further but to no avail. Did not mess with Porta , VIb is off, Humanize I try on and off but does not help my issue.   I wiil keep trying. The song I am working on is called Let It Be Me by the Everly Brothers. I have it very very close.... thank you again.   Angelo 

• July 10, 2019
    • BigangboBonanno
      TCH-Rob

Hi Angelo (@BigangboBonanno), 

Let me know how it goes! I'm glad I could be of help. 

Do use the auto mic gain settings on your voicelive? This might help you reduce the distortion you were speaking of. All you have to do is hold the setup button and sing into your mic at performance volume, then press the reverb button. This will set your gain to a level that doesn't clip. 

All the best,

Rob

• July 15, 2019
  • Pauldritsas6
    Contributor - Level 1
    2020-02-03

Hi Guyz Im just wondering how to completely remove my imported backing tracks from the unit. I know how to remove a bt from preset. im just wondering if the bts can be removed entirely without a factory reset. Cheers

0 92
    • Pauldritsas6
      TCH-Rob

Hi @Pauldritsas6 ,

You should be able to do this by pressing store, going to "manage track", and selecting track # "all" (to the left of track #1) and deleting it. This should remove all backing tracks from the Voicelive without requiring a factory reset. 

• February 5, 2020
  • New
    GreggCagno
    Contributor - Level 1
    2021-02-11

Trying to use VL2 as interface to Ableton Live 10 Lite via USB, and record guitar and vocal simultaneously into 2 separate tracks.

I have Digital In set to USB: Vox L / Instru R and Ableton tracks set as shown here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgOFQMRrH1M

Not getting a signal....If I switch Digital In to USB: Stereo, it works but then it combines both signals in one track.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

G

read more...
    0 21
    • GreggCagno
      PedroRodrigues Hi,GreggCagno,please consider that there are a few common methods of using VoiceLive 2 with a USB-connected computer and an audio application (DAW):
      Capturing a full mix of your performance
      Processing vocals from your DAW 3. Recording dry vocal and guitar tracks We assume you are familiar with configuring your audio application for input and output and that you understand connection of VoiceLive 2’s inputs and outputs.
      Method 1 - Capturing a full mix of your performance: Set VoiceLive 2’s I/O parameters as such:
      DIGITAL IN:USB:STEREO
      DIGITAL OUT:FULL MIX

Connect your mic and headphones to VoiceLive2 and pick a preset you like. VoiceLive 2 will send the fully processed sound to your DAW and you’ll be able to monitor through your headphones or the analogue audio outputs of VoiceLive 2.
      In order to set VoiceLive 2’s sample rate, play a little bit of audio from your DAW before recording your vocal track.
      Method #2 - Processing vocals from your DAW:
      To use VoiceLive 2 as an effects insert, set the I/O parameters as such:
      DIGITAL IN:USB: VOX L / INST R 2.
      DIGITAL OUT:FULL MIX
      Configure an aux send in your DAW to send the vocal track to VoiceLive 2’s left input and the instrument track to the right. You can monitor through VoiceLive’s headphone or main outputs. When playing back using VoiceLive 2 as the output audio device, don’t forget to set the
      DIGITAL IN back to USB:STEREO

Method #3 - Recording dry vocal and guitar tracks:
      You’ll need a fully dry mono vocal track and optionally, a dry instrument track (guitar or keyboard) or midi performance if you plan to use harmony. Set the I/O parameters as such:
      DIGITAL IN:USB:FULL MIX
      DIGITAL OUT:VOCAL & GUITAR
      Connect your mic and a guitar to VoiceLive 2 and your headphones to the headphone out. Even though you’ll hear fully processed vocals and guitar (with Guitar FX) in the headphones, the output feeding your DAW will be separate dry vocal and guitar that you can process later with Method #2. Digital Input Notes:
      Sample rate is synchronized automatically to the incoming digital audio stream.
      There is no independent configuration of sample rate in VoiceLive 2.
      When processing an analogue input such as the MIC and sending to VoiceLive 2’s digital out, sending a short bit of audio from your recording application to either Digital in will set the sample rate.
      When DIGITAL IN is set to USB:
      - Or SPDIF:VOX L / INST R, the MIC and GUITAR IN are disabled.
      When DIGITALIN is set to USB (or SPDIF): STEREO, harmonies will follow the stereo audio coming from the selected digital input on presets where NATURALPLAY is set to AUX INPUT.
      Digital Output Notes:
      USB audio output will not function when either of the SPDIF: options is chosen for the DIGITALIN parameter.
      SPDIF digital output is always available regardless of DIGITAL IN or OUT settings.
      USB Audio And ASIO Applications
      PC-based ASIO apps such as Cubase may require you to install a WDM to ASIO “wrapper” such as ASIO4ALL which is available at www.asio4all.com in order for VoiceLive 2 to be recognized as an audio device.
      To select the audio device In the Mac and Windows operating systems, you can select VoiceLive 2’s audio device in your workstation program by name.
      In some Windows XP DAW apps, however, the name of the audio device may be “USB Audio Device”.
      To use VoiceLive 2’s MIDI IN jack for harmony, preset change or realtime control while USB is connected, enter the I/O tab in the SETUP menu and set USB CONTROL to OFF.
      USB audio will function normally but MIDI will only be accepted by VoiceLive 2’s through its MIDI IN port.
      To re-enable VoiceSupport’s features and reception of MIDI from your DAW, turn USB CONTROL to ON
      I hope this helps.
      • Feb 12
  • Jikairui
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2020-07-14
    I’m curious about the midi control on this. My band uses backing tracks, but we play them through a cymatics lp16, which does midi control out....I love how the vl3x can have a programmed set of harmonies and such to go along with a backing track, but if the backing track is coming off something else... and the vl3x does midi control in... I’m wondering if there’s a way to use this to start the playback on the vl3x (presumably using an empty backing track), thereby having all my harmonies and fx be in sync with my media player
    read more...
    0 17
  • New
    PhilipBest
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2021-03-01

Hi,

Trying to come up with the easiest way to change vocal pitch a few notes ... For example, I want to sing an E and have the output be a G.  Using this for recording parts I have trouble reaching vs. live performance.  I suspect HardTune is the answer, but every time I try it, the vocal return is weird.

Thanks,

Phil

read more...
    0 31
    • PhilipBest
      PedroRodrigues Hi PhilipBest please consider if you are a singer without an instrument, you may not want to rely on some external input. Instead, we’ll set the Key/Scale for your song manually.
      For simplicity, let’s sing “Happy Birthday” in C using our Major 2 scale.
      You will need to find C as your starting note (unless you have perfect pitch – then you are awesome).
      To set the key/scale:
      If it isn’t selected, select the Vocal Layer by pressing the Layer footswitch.
      Press and HOLD the Harmony footswitch until the Set Key/Scale screen appears.
      Press the Preset up/Preset down footswitches until the key reaches C.
      If the scale is not already “Maj 2”, tap the Step button repeatedly until the display shows Maj 2.
      Let the Key/Scale screen “time out” and disappear (by not doing anything for a few seconds).
      Checking the Double effect block / tab tool, the HardTune effect and other effects may be also useful.
      • Mar 2
    • PhilipBest
      PhilipBest Mil gracias, Pedro !
      • Mar 2
    • PhilipBest
      PhilipBest Well, not quite perfect pitch ..
      • Mar 2
    • PhilipBest
      PhilipBest I usually lay down a simple back track in drums and guitar or keyboard in the alternate key and sing to that. Does the key/scale affect the primary vocal or the harmonies or is that selectable ? Again, thanks for getting me on track.
      • Mar 2
      • VLX3 Pitch Change
        PedroRodrigues Hi PhilipBest please consider that it depends how you set up the key/scale, you can use the Natural Play, the Global Key/scale or setting up Key/Scale manually. as this matter is a broad subject and to access specific set up I would suggest to follow the link below and check page 49 and 50 of the guide for this unit by following the link below: https://www.tc-helicon.com/tchelicon/product?modelCode=P0DEG
        • Mar 3
      • VLX3 Pitch Change
        PhilipBest Thanks again, Pedro. I took a look at key / scale yesterday and I think it does exactly what it's intended to do ... but for the harmony notes vs. the root. Then I looked for the key / scale chart via the the link in the manual and that link goes nowhere. Searched the internet for it and also not much save a page from ManualsLib that they want money to access or download. Not thrilled with TC Helicon product support. Lots of decent YouTube videos, but every time I look for my topic I end up in pitch correction vs. pitch change land. Guess I'll keep wandering along.
        • Mar 3
Go to page