Statistics

254,456 members
132,143 posts
  • Cimarron
    Contributor - Level 2
    2020-03-16

Hello all,

I just received my M32 mixer, and it came with a DN32-Live card to interface to my DAW.  It seems that this may be the place I might request suggestions on what I might need to do to make that work.  If not, and you can suggest a proper place to ask, I would appreciate that.

So, in general I found some directions for installing the drivers and such for the DN32-USB, which may be part of my issue (or not), though I didn't appreciate that there was a distinction at the time.  I followed the directions to upgrade the M32's firmware to 4.02, and that seemed to complete fine, the M32 is working from what I can tell (I've not tried every option - by far, of course) and sounds great through the mains.

I then installed the ASIO-Driver v4.59 onto my DAW computer.  I can see the DN32-LIVE in the Device Manager under Sound, video and game controllers.  However looking at the Properties, the Device status says that "This device cannot start [Code 10]".  I've tried computer restarting/power cycling (several times), using different USB ports, trying a different USB cable, to no avail.

Also, and probably no surprise here, I've tried the DN32USBAudioDfu.exe, which it appears is intended to update firmware on the DN32-LIVE itself, which pops up a "DN32-USB Firmware Upgrade" window, but it says "No device found.  Please plug in the device you want to upgrade".

In my frustration I even dug out an old Macbook Pro and tried plugging into that (it was suggested that no driver installation would be needed for the Mac - though I wouldn't want to use that computer as my DAW), and that instantly just crashed my Mac upon plugin, and if I powered it up with the DN32 plugged in via USB, it also crashed while trying to boot.  So, some research about that seemed to suggest that my Macbook Pro had "Snow Leopard" on it, which does crash like that, but upgrading to Lion (I think it was - next version up), would make it work.  I haven't yet tried to do the upgrade, since thats not my preferred system for this.  But at least it indicates that some computer can detect and react (by crashing) to the fact that my DN32 is attached - and given the OS installed on that system, it even reacts the way that is expected (though not as desired).

So I guess the main point of this post is to solicit any suggestions or guidance that could get my M32-Live connected to my Computer (and then get the DAW to see it).  Thanks for any help with this.

-- Greg

read more...
    0 2,015
    • Cimarron
      RexBeckett

@Cimarron 

Hello Greg, welcome to the community.

First check that the option card is really a DN32-Live. It should have SD card slots as well as a USB connector. With the console power off, remove the card and reinsert - making sure it fits into the guides correctly.

With the console power on, check on Setup -> Card that the card is being recognized. Also check on Setup -> Global under Firmware that the card firmware is A12. If not, you will need to download the A12 firmware and install it.

With everything connected and on, open Windows Device Manager and display the DN32-Live device. Right-click and select Uninstall. Now disconnect the USB and reboot the PC. When you reconnect the USB, the device should be reinstalled - possibly without errors.

• March 16, 2020
    • Cimarron
      GaryHiggins

@Cimarron 

I think @RexBeckett has hit the main issue-the DN-32 Live latest firmware is required. Pretty sure you need A12 with mixer firmware 4.02. That can't be done via a computer but by a usb stick on the mixer itself. If mixer firmware version 4.02 is installed already you can try to update the card with the mixer ON by using setup/update/firmware (bottom left of the screen) and then it will let you scroll to the proper update file on the usb drive. If that fails or won't work properly you will have to do it with the mixer off. Make sure the A12 card firmware file is then the ONLY firmware at the root directory with the mixer off method. Other type mixer firmware can be in a folder on the drive but not at the root directory. Turn on the mixer while holding down the usb button, the card firmware should update. You can cofirm the card firmware on the setup page by reading the (very tiny) info given there.

I might suggest completely uninstalling the drivers and trying again.

Also perhaps worth a try is usb driver 4.38 which can be found if you check off show legacy versions in the list of available files.

EDIT: There are several known issues with Win7-documented in the pdf.

• March 16, 2020
    • Cimarron
      Cimarron

@GaryHigginsThanks for taking time to reply to my message.

As I mentioned in my reply to @RexBeckett it looks like the M32 (which has 4.02 firmware)  sees the DN32 card, and is reporting a firmware version of A12.  So, I would assume I could move beyond the firmware installation (or re-installation), or would you think that might still be a potental step to take?

It seems a reasonable step to try deleting the DN32 driver in Windows Add/Remove programs (after first removing the device again from the device manager), and then reinstalling it.  I've seen stranger things happen.

Failing that I may look into the 4.38 driver.  Thanks for that information.  And I'll look for the .pdf you refered to.

Thanks again,

-- Greg

• March 17, 2020
    • Cimarron
      RexBeckett

@Cimarron 

It sounds as though the console is happy with the DN32-Live card and the card is running the latest firmware. I cannot say whether it is worth buying a suitable driver to reseat the card only that it has sometimes fixed problems. It has also been known for reinstallation of the card firmware to apparently fix problems. I've seen it on my own console and cannot explain it. Sometimes there can be a sequence of steps that fix a problem and we don't always identify the actual cause.

There can be several reasons why a USB device cannot start. Common ones are defective USB cables, using a USB 3 port instead of a USB 2.0 one, connecting through a USB hub, incorrect drivers or that the device has a fault. I think you have already tried different cables and ports. It would certainly be worth following Gary's advice to reinstall the driver and, if necessary, trying an older version of the driver.

• March 17, 2020
    • Cimarron
      Cimarron

My son brought his macbook down and we connected the USB from the DN32-LIVE to that and he pulled up Logic and it saw the interface and could specify any of the 32 channels as the input device for a channel.  So, it seems pretty apparent that the issue is with my computer.

I had purchased myself the appropriate screwdriver and removed the DN32-LIVE, and re-installed it.  Just to give that a chance, and overall good to have the screwdriver.  No change.

I went to try the older 4.38 driver, and in the folder with the driver there is a PDF file TUSBAudio_KnownIssues_v4.38.0.pdf which I looked into and see a section "10.3 AllSignersEqual Group Policy breaks Driver Installation".  Reading about this it sounds like the issue I'm having.  If this is set to OFF somehow (thrugh Group Policy Editor or something), Windows will not actually install the driver although the driver setup finishes successfully.  When it finds the DN32 on the USB port it installs a built in driver "for the respective device which possibly fails to start".  I had noticed that the device manager page that described the DN32 device did say something about a "Microsoft" driver, but I thought that might have been a result of the other issue I'd had to address to even try to install the driver, which involved installing a Windows Update KB3033929 to resolve.  This was apparently due to an issue that the driver wasn't signed (or incorrectly signed or something).

So, I wanted to check on the setting, but apparently the Windows 7 Home Premium edition on my computer is too lame to have gpedit.msc to start from the run menu (or another thing I saw mentioned gpupdate.msc from an administrator command prompt), which are the tools that are to be used for "Enterprise" versions of Win7, and it did mention that they wouldn't be there if you had Home Premium.  But it didn't mention how to check, or what to do if you do have Home Premium (which I do).

This sounds like exactly what I'm encountering, If anyone knows about Group Policies on Home Premium (does it even have them?), or perhaps an alternate approach to installing the driver (manually copying some files into place and possibly making a registry entry or such)?  Or perhaps this might already have been resolved, if I only knew where to look or what to search for.

• March 23, 2020
  • garypegb
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-05-29

Is the Heritage-D a real thing?

IMG_0259.JPG

read more...
    0 1,983
  • GaryHiggins
    Superhero - Level 1
    2019-12-10

This is originally from another post but I started a new one because I am wondering if other M32 owners have a similar experience with firmware 4.01. Specific to me, this is an M32R. Anyone else tried this yet and had a similar experience?

The back story is with version 4.0 the fader speed on M32's was reduced/smoothed out, it was (and apparantly still is) a permanent change. With this newer firmware 4.01 there is a "fast fader" checkbox that reboots the mixer and was intended to return the faders back to the 'fast' version.

Well there seems to be a BIG bug or something with the new M32 fader speed! I loaded up 4.01 and went right to the config page/fast fader checkbox area to see if I could get my mixer fader speed back the way it was prior to updating to V4. I confirmed I wanted that 'fast fader' option and....it reboots....and it did change BUT It is WAY different than before. Now the faders "snap" in to place (kind of like it used to) but there is this very worrisome fader motor "after spin" sound (more than just sound) that occurs. (a digital mixer's version of grinding gears) I can tell you 100% this never existed before. I went right back to the (since 4.0) slower fader version and that sound (and whatever process this was) went away! Not ready for prime time I think!

I am tempted to try it once more to see if maybe it was just a quirky firmware update and I may do so later in the day. 

EDIT: I just tried the fast fader reboot again with the same results. I am told this is normal and expected however it's a normal I can't live with. I will again say that noise was never there for me before this. I can live with the slower version so there it will stay. 

read more...
    2 1,220
    • GaryHiggins
      KevinMaxwell

I will be setting up a system this afternoon for an event this weekend and we will be using one of the M32s (still on V3.07 of the firmware) for this. I will try and pay attention to the fader behavior and report back later today. 

• December 10, 2019
    • GaryHiggins
      GaryHiggins

@KevinMaxwell Well, I finally located firmware version 3.07 myself and when I loaded it up, my nice, snappy and essentially noise free faders returned!! Yippy! NOW the question is if I reload 4.01 from here if it will return them to this fast version when I do so. At least I know how to get them back to what was my normal now. 3.08 did not, 3.11 did not. And I now know I am not crazy (well sort of know) I wil also report back.

EDIT: Loading 4.01 again puts the faders at the slower, smoother speed and the fast fader option makes them fast again but with losts of extraneous "after" noise NOT like version 3.07 at all. I made some short videos of all 3 and when I figure HOW to post them, I will.

• December 10, 2019
    • GaryHiggins
      KevinMaxwell

I listened very carefully and on the M32 I was setting up (that has V3.07 on it) there was no weird noises like you were experiencing with the console running 4.01 and the faders set to fast. I agree with you that it sounds like there is a bug in the 4.01 fast fader firmware.

• December 10, 2019
    • GaryHiggins
      GaryHiggins

@KevinMaxwell Thanks Kevin, my experience exactly. I can't seem to upload my little videos so I'm trying to post them via dropbox link instead. These show the differences quite clearly (though video is NOT my thing). Hope they will be up soon.

• December 10, 2019
    • GaryHiggins
      GaryHiggins

@KevinMaxwell or anyone else interested: Video 3 is the "new" fast fader version Again the news for anyone wanting the faders back the way they used to be prior to firmware 4.0 or 4.01 Load version 3.7 (it's still availble if you choose to include the archived version in search on the Midas page) In my case it brought back the fader speed to what it was the day I bought it. BUT 4.01 puts them right back to slow or (noisy) fast. I am choosing to use the slower faders and stay on 4.01 due to its awsomeness in other areas and until such time as the old fast and noisefree version returns. And.....just like the recent US Congressional hearings, The gentleman recognizes himself as to the solution

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5ru6bwfno5fcg5k/AAA9ugBcV-Se8L7YtteR35uYa?dl=0

EDIT2: I re-loaded firmware 3.7 to see what fader version it is that runs across the bottom of the screen-it appears to be fader version r/R .12 or r/R 1.2 

EDIT: As an aside I noticed in this process of loading different firmware versions that if you use the console global setup page (bottom left) for updating firmware, you can have several firmware files at the root directory at once, and pick which one to load. I always made sure there was only 1 in the past as that was the specifried way to do it. FWIW

• December 10, 2019
  • MAPsound
    Contributor - Level 2
    2020-02-20

I'm working with a school who had a bunch of salespeople come in and install a TON of stuff they don't need over this rather involved Dante network. Originally all Yamaha-based audio gear (CL3 board and two RIO 1608-d digital snake heads). They didn't care that the board they sold them was INFINITELY too complicated for the volunteers (read: students) to run, they just wanted their commission.
    I come in and convince them to get an M32 with a Dante card. They love the board and aren't afraid to actually use it now. However, my issue is that the head amp knob on the board is only functioning as a digital trim, not actually adjusting the gain on the still-installed RIO stage boxes. (I'm not here to rewire the entire system. Just make what they have usable).

So how can I get actual head amp control of the stage boxes directly from the M32? I don't want it to be just digital trim. Or is it possible to tie the AES50 directly into the Dante system? I believe it is compatible with AES67. Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

read more...
    0 1,207
    • MAPsound
      Paul_Vannatto

Hi Trevor @MAPsound 

Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately the AES50 is a proprietary protocol by Klark Teknik (based on their SuperMac protocol) and is not compatible with AES67. It actually only uses layer 1 of the ethernet protocol. Currently it only works with Behringer and Midas stageboxes (and some Klark Teknik devices such as KT9630).

The X32, M32 and the new Wing can only control preamps (gain and phantom) of both local and AES50 inputs. All card inputs will be digital trims. The only way to have preamp control in a dante environment is to use the Dante Controller app on a computer. 

• February 20, 2020
    • MAPsound
      GaryHiggins

@MAPsound I am not sure how (or if) the M32 gain controls can control the RIO headamps over dante. Not faniliar with those boxes. The M32's were meant to be able to control the Midas and Behringer stagebox preamps or those of another KT based aes50 device. Not saying it can;t for sure though. You might check the setup and make sure HA Gain split is turned of as that would force the M32 to use trim.

• February 20, 2020
    • MAPsound
      MAPsound

This is the part where I would normally say something like "then what's the point of having a Dante card? If you can't set the proper gain at the source, then what is the purpose?" But I'm getting used to everything being annoyingly proprietary, even over a more global system like Dante.

So you're saying there's no way to send a HA control signal, either via Dante or the Ethernet port or anything? That it will ONLY work with the matching stage boxes (S16/DL16, etc.)?

• February 20, 2020
    • MAPsound
      Paul_Vannatto

@MAPsound wrote:

This is the part where I would normally say something like "then what's the point of having a Dante card? If you can't set the proper gain at the source, then what is the purpose?" But I'm getting used to everything being annoyingly proprietary, even over a more global system like Dante.

Well I think you need to understand what you currently have. The M32 is a product made by Midas (part of the Music Tribe group of companies). The RIO-1608-D is a product made by Yamaha - a totally separate company (and fierce competitor of Midas). Dante is a product of Audinate that is simply a standard medium that connects devices and provides routing, etc. control via their software. The actual preamps are located in the RIO-1608-D stagebox. Therefore the control of those preamps will have to be accomplished remotely. But if one company is unwilling to provide control interface technology with its competitor, the medium (Dante) cannot be blamed. 

So you're saying there's no way to send a HA control signal, either via Dante or the Ethernet port or anything? 

Not from the M32 console - at least probably not until Uli buys Yamaha and adds it to the Music Tribe group of companies. 

• February 20, 2020
    • MAPsound
      GaryHiggins

@MAPsoundI ran acoss this software that might allow you to adjust the RIO preamps using a laptop. I only mention this because you made it seem like the M32 could already access the stagebox inputs and that adjusting gain was the only issue. This could be the bridge. Thought I would share it, did not read it closely.

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/proaudio/software/r_remote/index.html

• February 21, 2020
  • vita
    Contributor - Level 2
    2020-04-08

Midas, can you solve the pro2 offline editor compatibility issue with catalina O.S? Please!

I need this app very mutch, to work at home.

I am a Portuguese soud engeneer.

Thank you.

0 1,159
    • vita
      ChaseMcKnight

Hi @vita 

While the Pro2 & Pro1 Offline Editors are currently not compatible with macOS Catalina, the ProX OLE is. I would suggest using it. Because of our console showfile compatibilities, you can import/export show files to/from a Pro2 using the ProX Offline Editor -- just know anything past the Pro2's input count and FX slots won't populate in the desk if exceeded in the editor. 

• April 10, 2020
    • vita
      vita

Tested. The proX offline editor doesn't work either!

• April 10, 2020
    • vita
      ChaseMcKnight

Hi @vita 

Updating my post:
      It seems the G3.4.6rel-9 OLE for ProX isn't compatible with macOS Catalina. Until we have an update that is compatible with macOS Catalina, users should stay or roll back to macOS Mojave. 

• April 13, 2020
    • vita
      Derric_West

It has almost been a year since Catalina was released.  There should be compatable version by now!!!  Please update soon.

• May 12, 2020
    • vita
      cpc1981

Any chance of an indication when this might be made available for Catalina? Obviously not a pressing matter while the world is broken, but a rough idea/indictaion that this is being worked on would be very helpful.

cheers

• May 13, 2020
  • MikeEsonic
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-11-14

Hi.

Just updated to the new FW on M32. The faders now move much slower when changing layers.. Is that part of the new software update?

0 1,154
    • MikeEsonic
      GaryHiggins

@MikeEsonic It is part of the update. See second to last line below.

new features:

- point to point user routing, 4 input and 6 output banks (32 in / 48 out)

- DP48/HUB4 remote configuration support

- DP48 setup page with preset library

- send pan optionally follows LR pan function

- full backup export/restore function

- new keyboard with channel name suggestions/history and keyboard layouts

- X32Core/M32C: Export Show function

- M32/M32R: V.1 Fader option (forces update of faderboards, requires reboot)

- option for coloured RTA bars

• November 14, 2019
    • MikeEsonic
      nicholi

"M32/M32R: V.1 Fader option (forces update of faderboards, requires reboot)"

This is not very clear.  So are we supported to enable this setting?  What exactly is its functuon whether enabled or disabaled?

• November 14, 2019
    • MikeEsonic
      GaryHiggins

@nicholi I think the word option here is meant more like 'feature'...not really a user option or choice, in other words updating the faders for the Midas boards is part of the update period, it comes with the package, no matter...BUT this is only my opinion. I had the same experience and saw no option to update or not update the faders.  

• November 14, 2019
    • MikeEsonic
      nicholi

Hi Gary,

Hmm.  I am not at the board now but under System there is an option to enable or dsable the "feature".  The mixer will reboot.  It does not change change the fader speed howwever from what I can tell.  So I am trying to figure out if it should be enable or not and what is the benefit.  I guess the questions should be.  What is V.1 Fader? What versions of the boards does this affect M32 with black buttons or rubber?

• November 14, 2019
    • MikeEsonic
      MikeEsonic

@nicholi Yes I did the same thing. I enabled V.1 Fader option and I thought it would change the speed but it did not. Still trying to figure out what it does, and if you can change the back to original speed. Also, I’m thinking they changed the speed to save the motors so they last longer. 

• November 15, 2019
  • danhennings
    Contributor - Level 1
    2019-11-13

I have an RMA for an M32. Have any of you found a shipping box for your console, and if so, where?

0 1,057
  • RikRayner
    Contributor - Level 3
    2019-06-10

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to move up from my XR18 to either an X32 rack or a Midas M32C and the simple question is are the Behringer SD8/SD16 stageboxes compatible with the M32C or do I have to get the Midas DL stageboxes?

Thanks in advance

Rik

read more...
    0 1,038
    • RikRayner
      Paul_Vannatto

Hi Rik @RikRayner,

Yes the SD8 and SD16 will work with the M32C. But you don't gain much of the "Midas" touch that way. The M32C has the identical DSP engine as the X32 models. The difference is in the Midas preamps and outputs, which in the case of the M32C would be in the stagebox(s). You would be far better ahead to get an X32 Rack with an SD8 (or 2) or an SD16 IMO.

• June 10, 2019
    • RikRayner
      RikRayner

Hi Paul,

thanks for the confirmation.  I'm attracted by the ultra-compact form factor of the M32C and the ability to expand the array of inputs available, using both the DL and SD series stageboxes.  I can definitely see the use of an SD8 for a stagefront stagebox for monitor wedge and L/R outputs plus vocal mic inputs.  Just a shame that there is no Midas equivalent of the SD8

• June 10, 2019
    • RikRayner
      Paul_Vannatto

@RikRayner wrote:

I'm attracted by the ultra-compact form factor of the M32C and the ability to expand the array of inputs available, using both the DL and SD series stageboxes.  I can definitely see the use of an SD8 for a stagefront stagebox for monitor wedge and L/R outputs plus vocal mic inputs.  Just a shame that there is no Midas equivalent of the SD8

Yes its also a shame that they discontinued the X32 Core (the Behringer equivalent of the M32C). But to me the real shame is that they didn't produce a Midas equivalent to the X32 Rack. The reason is that there is a significant difference with the Midas Pro preamps and outputs (over the Behringer Midas designed).

Yes there is a space advantage of the 1U form factor, but at the expense of the flexibility of the inputs/outputs. As you probably know, I use a dual X32 Rack with and SD8 and SD18 setup. A couple of years ago (this Aug) I was setting up for a Chicago tribute band when we got hit with 4 downpours during setup/soundcheck. I had the SD16 at the back of the stage to handle the drums and backline and it got a bit wet (due to the horizontal driving rain). The results was that it was showing signals where there was nothing plugged in. Their sound engineer shared his concern and I quickly wheeled one of the Racks to the back of the stage, configured it as an S16, repatched - and we were back in business in about 10 minutes. The other Rack was used as the main mixer, situated at one end of the stage and took care of the MC wireless mics and and opening act (since we were using all 24 inputs of the stageboxes for the main act). If I had a choice between an M32C and X32 Rack, I'd still choose the Rack.

• June 10, 2019
    • RikRayner
      RikRayner

Hi Paul,

I can see that by taking the X32 rack I have a backup option of hardwiring into the desk in the event of a stagebox failure.  We've never exceeded the 16 inputs on the XR18 so a pair of SD8s would handle everything connectivity-wise, plus give me the flexibity of stage positioning and additional inputs if the need arises, albeit not as conveniently connected.  Perhgaps that SD16 might be a good option ??

• June 10, 2019
    • RikRayner
      Paul_Vannatto

@RikRayner wrote:

We've never exceeded the 16 inputs on the XR18 so a pair of SD8s would handle everything connectivity-wise, plus give me the flexibity of stage positioning and additional inputs if the need arises, albeit not as conveniently connected.  Perhgaps that SD16 might be a good option ??

You've never exceeded because you didn't have a choice  Just wait...

If I had only a choice between an SD16 or 2 SD8's, I'd choose the 2 SD8's. It gives you 8 more outputs, plus it gives more flexibility of positioning at stage front/back or left/right, reducing the cable spaghetti.

• June 10, 2019
  • FlorianScheibein
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2020-09-29

Hello Everybody,
    I am searching for a solution including Driver to use my Midas Venice F24 with my new laptop. The Drivers on the Midas homepage are not compatible with the latest OsX version 10.15.6. It is also hard for me to find an adapter from firewire to thunderbolt 3.

Does anyone have any suggestions, tipps or solutions?

Thanks

read more...
    0 772
    • FlorianScheibein
      Nigel67 Hi Florian. Yes, I am afraid that the VF will not work with Catalina. The only option that I can suggest, however I do not know if anyone has tried it, would be to have a dual boot on the MAV where you can try running a much older version of OSX that originally worked with the Venice F. I have no idea whether this will work, I only found out that you could dual boot two versions of OSX on a MAC a couple of months ago. If you do try it, please let me know the outcome as it may make a lot of other Venice F owners extremely happy.
      • September 29, 2020
    • FlorianScheibein
      SebRoth He Florian, I haven't tried it so far but the attached link looks promising. Just got a Venice F16 but first it needs some service before it will go into the studio. https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/1278805-midas-venice-f32-catalina-64bit.html
      • October 15, 2020
      • Midas Venice F24 firewire on a MacBook Pro 2019 (Thunderbolt3)
        Nigel67 I had heard of this working in Mojave, but not Catalina. This is great news. Thank you for highlighting it.
        • October 19, 2020
  • hollywood
    Contributor - Level 3
    2020-03-25

I just purchased a used Midas DL16...

I have a Mac, how would i go about updating the firmware on the DL16?

Secondly, when i hold down the Config button, and power up the unit; It does NOT display the current firmware version....is there a different way to do this?

read more...
    0 765
    • hollywood
      GaryHiggins

@hollywood 

Hello, you need a pc to update, you will not see the firmware version unless connected to the pc via the usb connection.

Update Process:

1. Download and unpack the latest updater zip file from midasconsoles.com on your Windows PC

2. Connect the DL16 USB port to your PC using a standard USB cable (type A -- type B)

3. Hold the CONFIG button depressed while switching the DL16 on

4. The DL16 display will show the current firmware version on its display

5. Make sure you have started your Windows session with Administrator access, then start the updater executable

6. The terminal window will inform you about the update progress. Wait approximately 1 min until it shows completed.

7. Disconnect the USB link and switch the DL16 power off / on

8. If you wish, you may check if the update has successfully been loaded by holding the CONFIG button while power cycling the DL16, again.

9. Note, that the display will only show the firmware version while being connected via USB.

• March 25, 2020
Go to page