Statistics

259,809 members
138,227 posts
  • New
    DavidAubin
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2020-11-06

Started live streaming our church service a couple of months back and I am not satisfied with the audio over the stream, it's clear, but harsh.  We are still doing our in house service as well.  I have the mix where i want in the house and all I am doing is sending the channels I want for the stream to matrix, before EQ, assigned to a different output.  Some of the lower channels I send to bus then to the matrix to boost that channel.  Micing the room is not an option as it's not an ideal venue(but what is?).  What I have been told is that there is software that can be added with some premixed effects and EQ that i can send from the direct out to one of the aux buses for live streaming.  Is this something from Midas/Behringer or a third party thing? 

read more...
    0 569
    • DavidAubin
      DavidKnighton Hello David Aubin,
      Whatever this added software is would be third party/external. There's no additional software that can be mounted to the operating system of the M32 console. What I can tell you about live stream mix is that most of the time, venues will dedicate a mixer for the venue, and another mixer for the live stream. The reason for this is because as a FOH operator, the inputs are EQ'd to sound good in the room, not through a laptop, phone, or tablet. This is likely why the mix sounds harsh on your live stream. What I would suggest is send all the inputs RAW out of the console to either another console, or to a computer, then mix it to where it sounds good coming out of a laptop or smart phone. Mixing on a pair of reference monitors may get you close, but the real deal here is that laptop speakers and phone speakers are super small and tinny, so you're better off referencing your mix directly off the live stream so you can make real time changes.
      • November 6, 2020
    • DavidAubin
      DavidAubin I know why it sounds harsh, we are a portable site and don't have the room for another mixer. I was going to try mixing it raw on a computer but seeing if there was something else available. Thanks
      • November 6, 2020
      • Midas M32 room mixing and live stream mixing
        DavidKnighton Hello David,
        Have you considered maybe an X32 Rack or M32C? Both units are relatively compact, and you can do most of your mixing from an iPad or laptops. It would be simple enough to daisy chain the main console to a 2nd unit and then you have all the creative processing in your hands for your live mix.
        • November 6, 2020
        DavidAubin Looking into it actually. Just need the budget.
        • November 6, 2020
    • DavidAubin
      KevinMaxwell How many inputs are you presently using on the M32? Do you have any idea if it is particular channels that sound “harsh” to you? Are you sure that you aren’t clipping the signal somewhere in the feed to the live stream. They are very susceptible to being over driven. See below how we dealt with that.

One church I helped set up their X32 for live streaming we took each channel post fader to a Mix Bus (7) and if you needed more or less of that in the live stream they would adjust to taste. This included the vocal reverb that was used for the house mix. They could also send channels to Mix Bus 7 without sending it to the L/R for the house feed. And don’t forget that you have the parametric EQ on the Mix Bus available for shaping the sound.

The way that the system is setup for live helps because the system is tuned for linearity (what go’s in is what comes out) and then vocal mics go thru a Mix Bus before going to the house mix outputs and that Mix Bus is EQed for gain before feedback. This leaves all channel EQs available to deal with making it sound that way you want that mic to sound not having to deal with and feedback issues on the channels. That gives a smoother sound that then translates to a post fader Mix Bus send working for live streaming.

I used the compressor on Mix Bus 7 at about a 7:1 ratio and set the threshold so it was always doing a little something. This was then routed to Matrix 5/6 and the matrix compressor was set to limiting (brick wall limiting) and was set while watching a test live stream and was set to be just under clipping. This was to keep the signal clean and as loud as we could get it but keep it from clipping. Keep in mind that the dynamic range of live sound is not going to work for any kind of broadcasting feed.

It might help you to get the sound you are looking for if you were to insert a Stereo Combinator from the effects rack (FX1-4 can be set to the Combinator) and play with the settings to get the sound you want.

And although it might drive you a little bit craze because of the extreme delay you could have one person with a tablet (hooked up to control the live stream Mix Bus on the M32 over WiFi) mixing the Mix Bus feed while watching and listening to the live stream in another room. I say drive you crazy because any change you make on the Mix Bus you wouldn’t hear right away because of the time it takes for the live stream to reach the person watching and trying to mix it. When we were testing this setup it was around 26 seconds.

I hope this is of some help to you.
      • November 6, 2020
        DavidAubin Thank you for the reply. This is actually what I am currently doing. Everything is a compromise in this manner and I will never be satisfied with it.
        • November 6, 2020
        KevinMaxwell How many inputs are you presently using on the M32?
        • November 7, 2020
  • Blink180stu
    Contributor - Level 1
    2019-12-06

Anyone experienced this before?  After touching some of the knobs on the Pro2, the values will randomly change as if it thinks someone is turning the knob.  Happens on the gain, eq, compressor and gate.  Only seems to happen after you touch one of the knobs, if you never touch the knobs and use the trackball it doesn't seem to happen.  Any thoughts?

read more...
    1 560
    • Blink180stu
      Ishai

Yes, was warned about it by a sound company that owns a number of PRO consoles. Suggest to contact Midas and send them Log Files.

Ishai

• December 7, 2019
    • Blink180stu
      ChaseMcKnight

We call that "ghosting". This likely means the physical encoders will need replacing. Please fill out the support form and get in touch with our service team and they can assist. 

• December 9, 2019
    • Blink180stu
      zigson

I had this issue on some encoders of my Pro-1 (espacially on eq-encoders)

the Midas-SAV replaced the whole encoder card/pannel without any costs (under waranty)

now, all is fine !!

• December 27, 2019
  • New
    TomCosaert
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2020-11-18

Hey! I have a Midas MR18 digital mixer (similar to the Behringer XR18) and want to connect from its (balanced XLR, mono) AUX outputs to the (unbalanced TRS, stereo) AUX inputs of a Behringer HA6000 headphone amplifier.

Depending on the number of participants (mix-minus feeds for each), I would like to support the following two scenarios:

1. stereo (L/R) headphone monitoring up to 4 people (Midas MR18 limit)
    2. mono (R+R) headphone monitoring up to 6 people (Behringer HA6000 limit)

To be sure not to damage anything, I'd rather not start experimenting with different cables. Therefore, I have two questions (and a follow-up question, depending on the answer of the 2nd question):

Question 1: Would a 2x XLR female to TRS male cable (wired as illustrated below) work for stereo (L/R) headphone monitoring (scenario 1), connecting (paired) MR18 AUX outputs to single AUX inputs of the HA6000?

This would accomodate 3 headphones (AUX outputs only), or even 4 headphones (if I use the MR18 Main L/R outputs as well), to enjoy stereo monitoring.

Question 2: Would the same cable also work for mono (R+R) headphone monitoring (scenario 2), when simply not connecting one of the XLR ends and pressing the "MONO R" button on the HA6000, or is leaving the ring (or tip) signal of the TRS cable "floating" like this a really bad idea?

This would accomodate 6 headphones to be able to monitor in mono (mirrored).

Question 2b: In case using the same cable for scenario 2 is not recommended (see above, question 2), would an XLR female to TS male cable be advised?

Thanks a lot for any help with this! I've been searching the internet for hours already, but could not find any definitive answers to these questions. It seems not a straightforward thing, wanting to connect the MR18 to a HA6000, or similar device with unbalanced stereo inputs.

Note: I currently also own the Behringer AMP800 (which has balanced inputs and allows the use of regular XLR to TRS cables) but I want more connectivity options. Unfortunately, it seems headphone amps with more balanced inputs are not that common.

read more...
    0 540
    • TomCosaert
      RexBeckett Hi Tom, your cable wiring is correct for dual XLR-F to TRS stereo. This should also work for mono if the HA6000 is switched appropriately.
      • November 18, 2020
      • Midas MR18 AUX Outputs to Behringer HA6000 AUX Inputs
        TomCosaert Thanks for the confirmation. Greatly appreciated!
        • ·
        • November 18, 2020
  • DavidStackhouse
    Contributor - Level 2
    2020-03-30

Hello... I have an MR18 that I can use in conjunction with my MacBook Pro or iPad Pro (or Android phone or Kindle Fire, but for this purpose I wouldn't use either of those). My goal is to stream live video of a performance using a mix off the MR18 in place of the audio from the mic on whichever device I choose to capture the video stream. Simultaneouosly I wish to:
    - have live sound in the performance space over my PA system from the MR18
    - record BOTH the audio and video of the event (I realize I shouldn't expect video recording tips on this forum, but if you have any, that'd be awesome)
    - preferably multitrack as I record, rather than just get a main L-R mix.
    I have Logic Pro X on the MacBook Pro. I don't have recording software on the iPad Pro, but I do have an USB to lightning adapter it that helps. If all I can do is record the main mix, then so be it. But optimally it would be nice to have the tracks isolated so that I can clean them up in case afterwards I want to upload the video (and I probably will). It's likely to be only 2 tracks (guitar and vocal), but there may be a few more inputs as well.

Thoughts and suggestions? Many thanks... stay healthy and safe, everyone!

read more...
    0 521
    • DavidStackhouse
      RexBeckett

@DavidStackhouse 

On the MacBook Pro, you should be able to record up to 18 channels from the MR18 over USB. The channel sources are set using M-Air Edit on the In/Out -> USB Sends tab. Depending on what streaming software you use, it should be possible to select a pair of the USB channels as audio source.

I believe some users have been able to record multi-channel on iPads but I don't know what software is required.

• March 30, 2020
    • DavidStackhouse
      DavidStackhouse

Thanks so much for your input, RexBeckett!

• March 30, 2020
    • DavidStackhouse
      PaulSinkovich

I use an iPad mini to record. I think it's an iPad mini 2. I've used Auria Pro or MTDaw or AUM apps to record. I've been recording 4 hour live sessions every Friday for a year. 16 channels recorded.  All apps have worked flawlessly. I prefer Auria Pro because I get an AAF which I then import into Protools for mixing. 

• March 30, 2020
    • DavidStackhouse
      DavidStackhouse

PaulSinkovich... and you're capturing your video as you live stream as well as recording the video, as well as mixing on the MR18 software to mix as well as tracking in Auria Pro... all simultaneously on the one iPad mini???

• March 30, 2020
    • DavidStackhouse
      PaulSinkovich

I'm using the iPad mini exclusively to record the audio from the xr18. I use GoPros to record the video. Then sync them up with the audio from the xr18 which is recorded on the iPad mini in Auria Pro. I export the AAF file from Auria Pro to my Mac.

• March 31, 2020
  • billh2020
    Contributor - Level 1
    2019-08-28

Greetings!

I am still learning my way around a digital mixer and hope that I can get some advice on the best way to configure our MR18 mixer. In a nutshell, I want to route non-EQed audio post-fader to the USB interface and am not sure the most efficient method.

Our Application

We work with corporate clients to produce company meetings. These can take place in a variety of spaces, including very reverberant venues like breweries.

We provide the local sound reinforcement and broadcast audio and video to remote locations using web conference or live streaming. When web conferencing, remote locations may present (using audio, video and screen sharing) to the local audience.

Here is our audio routing: 

• We have a combination of wireless lav/headworn/handheld microphones coming into the MR 18.
    • We are using PEQ’s on the channels and a TEG/GEQ on the LR mains. We also use the auto-mix feature on the microphone channels.
    • The MR18 LR mains feed a local sound system for sound reinforcement. 
    • The Midas USB interface is configured for 2 channel operation connected to a computer workstation running a video switcher application (i.e. the Video Switcher).
    • The web conferencing remote audio feed is routed from the Video Switcher to the MR18 using the USB interface for in-house playback. This allows remote presenters to address the in-house audience.
    • To avoid a feedback loop, on the MR18 we create a mix-minus aux-send feed using Bus A. This mix-minus routes all local microphone audio less the web conferencing remote audio via the USB interface to the video mixer. The tap point is post-fader since individual microphones are muted when speakers are off-stage. This audio is broadcast to all the geographically remote locations.

The Problem

Depending on the event space, we use PEQ/TEQ/GEQ on the microphones to suppress feedback. I would like to send the “fuller” sounding non-EQ’ed microphone audio to the remote audience while maintaining a tap point that allows us to mute individual mic channels for both local and remote audiences.

On a side note, I've learned alot reading through these postings and appreciate the knowledge shared on these boards. Thanks in advance for your advice!

Bill

read more...
    0 510
    • billh2020
      GaryHiggins

@billh2020 It seems like you have got your local feed under control with post fader room compensated sends to FOH. You can set your usb sends at a different tap and by using the +M version of that tap, still maintain your mutes as desired. You might want to try the pre eq plus mute tap (solid yellow in M32-Edit) for the usb ch sends. It would be best if you post your scene here to get a clear picture of what you have set up.

EDIT: In the setup/GUI Prefs section, if you make sure "Apply changes to all channels" is NOT checked, you can even send every ch at a different tap point if that works out better for some usb ch's.

• August 28, 2019
    • billh2020
      Vasco_Romijn

In the routing setup by the USB sends tab you can set those channels to Pre EQ+Mute. I think you lost fader control on the USB sends this way because it is not post fader anymore. You have to try yourself because I do not own a MR18. Just have the software installed for offline configurations when I know there is one at a veneu where I have to work.

• August 28, 2019
  • RichardGregory
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2020-05-26

Can anyone provide information on obtaining a replacement fader for the Midas M32 console?  I can find them on the internet, but those that I find appear to be the the correct fader (ProFader 100mm), but have the mounting studs and not the longer bracket with the screw holes at each end.  Apparently the motor has gone out on mine.  Tried reseating the connectors to no avail.

Thanks, 

Richard.

read more...
    0 510
    • RichardGregory
      KevinMaxwell

Have you tried contacting Midas service on this? If you registered your M32 when you got it the Warrantee is extended but I am not sure for how long. May by they will send you a replacement so you can put it in yourself.  

• May 27, 2020
    • RichardGregory
      RichardGregory

Yes, I did, if submitting an online case to the support counts.  I received the automated response from MT Care, but nothing further to date.  If I could determine proper part number and souce, I would be happy to purchase and replace it myself.

Richard

• May 27, 2020
    • RichardGregory
      KevinMaxwell

@RichardGregory wrote:

Yes, I did, if submitting an online case to the support counts.  I received the automated response from MT Care, but nothing further to date.  If I could determine proper part number and souce, I would be happy to purchase and replace it myself.

Richard

Is there a part number om it. I am pretty sure that Midas makes their own faders.

Is it this one? https://www.midasconsoles.com/Categories/Midas/Mixers/Accessories/PRO-FADER-%28200-mm%29/p/P0AHW#googtrans(en|en)

• May 27, 2020
    • RichardGregory
    • RichardGregory
      RichardGregory

@KevinM32 Fader Mount (full view)M32 Fader Mount (full view)M32 Fader mount (note screw hole)M32 Fader mount (note screw hole)Well, yes and no.  That is the correct fader.  However, the mounting arrangement is not the same (at least on my M32.)  The fader shown (which I actually purchased earlier off the internet based on a salesperson assurance and internet reviews (which I guess I should go correct)) has the "M3 threaded pillar fixings on 120.0 mm (4.7") fixing centres" mounting arrangement.  The failed fader (which I have removed for documentation) has a longer top frame and two screw holes on each end.  I have attached two photos as examples.  I considered disassembling the orignal fader and putting the required frame on the replacment one (as shown by you), but determined that was not optimal as I was unsure I could successfully replace the plastic gear and decided against it.  I'm not going to "duct tape and bailing wire" a perfectly good mixer (yet.)

Hopefully someone from Midas will come along with the correct part, or my support ticket will provide the correct answer.  But thanks for trying.

Richard

• May 27, 2020
  • iTheAlterEgo
    Contributor - Level 3
    2019-12-03

M32-R Panning in DAW Remote mode.

Hello all. 

I am using my M32-R In DAW Remote mode, how do I get the pan knob and solo buttons to work with the selected channel I am using? I have no idea how to solve this, as there is only a dedicated main bus Pan/Bal knob and no pan for each channel. I am using Cubase 10.5 Pro on a Mac with OS Mojave.

Thanks in advance.

Please help.

read more...
    0 497
  • LHUFF121
    Contributor - Level 1
    2020-01-24

I have v3.12 scenes on a USB drive, will they load into v4.0?

0 492
    • LHUFF121
      Paul_Vannatto

@LHUFF121 wrote:

I have v3.12 scenes on a USB drive, will they load into v4.0?

Yes you can. I would suggest that you re-save and export the scenes after you have upgraded to 4.02 so that the new scenes will include the new features (DP48, User In and User Out).

• January 24, 2020
    • LHUFF121
      GaryHiggins

@LHUFF121 I hope you meant 4.02 and not 4.0, 4.0 is loaded with (well at least it has many) issues. 4.02 is where you want to be. @Paul_Vannatto has mentioned 4.02 in his post, I just wanted to add the part about 4.0 having issues in case that was your plan.

• January 24, 2020
    • LHUFF121
      TonyVenables

Thanks for the note Gary about 4.02. I have had many issues with 4.0 and now have lost syc with the iPad. I lost routing and many settings plus all my saved library files. How did it go moving to 4.02? do you loose stuff again?

• January 27, 2020
    • LHUFF121
      GaryHiggins

@TonyVenables my update was very smooth, do it from the mixer/setup/global page while mixer is ON. If so it will offer a back up option...

• January 28, 2020
  • New
    Dberry
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2021-04-10

Hi guys. I just got an M32 for FOH. I want to be able to use all 16 buses for stereo sub mixes and effects sends at FOH.

I then want to use the X32 Rack that is on SR as the monitor board, using 1-14 busses for monitors.

I want the gain knob on the x32 Rack to be my master gain for both boards so I can set gain onstage while getting instrument level checks from the band.

I want the s16 by the drums for inputs 1-16 (drums and some back line instrument) and the the x32 Rack inputs for 17-32 (frontline vocals and instruments. 

*EDIT* 
    I want outputs 1-8 to come from the x32 Rack for monitor mixes or L and R
    I want outputs 9-16 to come from the S16 for monitor mixes or L and R
    LEFT and RIGHT can come from either the S16 or the X32
    *END EDIT*

The M32 at FOH will not require any input or outputs except for a talkback mic to communicate with the band and or audiance anouchments and a laptop into a set of Aux's for music playback. All that will be running to FOH will be the talk back mic, laptop and an Eithercon cable.

My main goal here is to be able to use all 16 busses at FOH for 12 sub mixes and 4 FX's. Then have all 16 buses on stage from the X32 rack and s16 for monitor mixes.

I won't have a monitor engineer so I thought I would set gain on stage and setup a quick wedge and IEM mix for the band, then move to FOH for sound check. Since I am running IEMs I want to be able to make EQ, gate, and Comp adustments at FOH without it chaining their IEM mixes. I am not that thrilled about have two Seperate board mixes but I do want all of my FOH buses for sub mixes so I can compress the sub mixes and make group eq changes on the sub mixes. 

Is this possible, or is there a better way. I just don't want to eat up all of my FOH buses on monitors and not have them available for effects and sub mixes. 

read more...
    0 483
    • Dberry
      Paul_Vannatto Hi Danny, for the most part, most everything you listed that you want can be done, except for the following:
      * "outputs 15 and 16 to come from the X32 Rack for Left and Right to the mains". The X32 Rack does not have physical outputs 15/16. It has 8 XLR outputs and 6 Aux (1/4") output levels.
      * The Main LR from FOH should not be routed to the X32 Rack Aux Outs, due to a slight drop in outputs.
      * Also the 4 IEM's should be stereo. Those that use IEMs prefer stereo rather than mono.
      * What about outputs for subs?
      Looking at those requirement, I would suggest you consider adding another stagebox, such as the SD8 that would provide more physical outputs.
      • Apr 10
      • Need routing assistance for m32 FOH, X32 rack stage monitor mixer and S16 digital snake
        Dberry Yes your right. I said 15 and 16 meaning 7 and 8 because of the outputs. As you know, I have 8 on the s16 and 8 on the x32 so i just misstated the number. So really from the x32 it would be better to have 1-4 got to IEM in the rack the 5-8 going to Front line monitors (4 mixes). Then I could use 1-4 from the s16 for drum monitor and 3 other wedge mixes. 7 and 8 from the S16 could run to the main L R.
        • Apr 10
    • Dberry
      CraigFowler Need some clarification. In the first sentence you say you want to use the M32's 16 buses for stereo submixes and *FX* sends at FOH. That's fine.
      Later on you say that your main goal is to use all 16 buses at FOH for 12 submixes and 4 *monitor* sends. If you're doing this, presumably you want to output those monitor sends on stage. Given that you've only got 16x XLR on stage, and you're already using 14x of them for the Rack's buses + 2x of them for LR from the FOH console, where were you planning to output those extra 4x monitor sends from FOH?

Presuming you meant FOH buses only get used for FOH things, as Paul mentions, 14x monitors from the X32Rack + LR from FOH can fit on the 16x XLR sockets between the X32Rack and the S16. However you've said that you only want to use 4x outputs on the S16 for bus 9-12, which means trying to fit 12x signals on the X32Rack's 8x XLR outputs, which doesn't fit. You could use the X32Rack's TRS sockets for the other 4x signals, however personally I'd prefer to not use the X32Rack's TRS outputs, as they have 5dB less headroom than the XLR sockets. A patricularly hot mix may be fine on the XLR sockets, but might clip on the TRS sockets. If you don't want to buy any additional hardware like an SD8 to get extra output sockets, you may have to use more than 4 outputs on the S16, or make sure that the mixes you're outputing on the X32Rack's TRS sockets aren't too hot.

As Paul also mentions, you mention using outputs 1-8 on the X32Rack for 4x IEMs + 4x wedges. This indicates that the IEMs will be mono. If you can save buses at all, try to get IEMs stereo. Musicians find it a lot easier with IEMs if you can give them a stereo band mix and run their own channels straight up the middle. If the X32Rack is only being used for monitors, you can use its LR bus as a separate stereo mix (if you can make the physical output for it.)

Re the gain; if you're not going to have a Monitor Engineer, you may as well set the FOH console to control gain, then once it's set enable HA gain split on FOH so that further gain changes won't affect monitors. You could also control the X32Rack from the Laptop @ FOH using Edit if you can run an extra Ethernet cable from the stage to FOH and have a router. Either of these solutions mean you don't have to actually set gain on the Rack; you can do everything from the FOH mix position. If you are going to dial in quick wedge mixes from stage, I'd recommend you involve a wifi router and a tablet so you can stand in front of the wedges as you dial it in, instead of trying to do it from sidestage.

If you are going to be trying to mix monitors from the FOH mix position, I'd recommend routing the X32Rack's solo bus back to FOH, and using Edit on the laptop\tablet @ FOH connected to the X32Rack so you can solo the monitor mixes from the FOH mix position and hear your changes.

PS, If you don't have a Monitor Engineer, running FOH for a 32 channel show + 14+ monitor mixes all from FOH is a lot of work for one person... Good luck with it.
      • Apr 10
      • Need routing assistance for m32 FOH, X32 rack stage monitor mixer and S16 digital snake
        Dberry Yes sorry, I meant sub mixes and *FX* at FOH. Also, yes the x32 rack will will be ran from an IPad to ring out monitors and walk around the stage.
        • Apr 10
        Dberry I would love the gain control at FOH but I usually set gain when I am on the stage. When I sound check, I normally stand on stage with the band so I can talk to them. I set gain on every line then while standing with the members in front of their monitors, I set their monitors where I can hear what they are getting. I normally go through level settings with the faders down, then set monitors. Then I have them go back around each input and set FOH EQ, gates, comp, levels. I have always just used a x32 rack and S16 for everything but I am doing a new club install and bought an M32 live board and bought four sets of IEM since a lot of band are using IEMs in conjunction with monitors these days. Because of this FOH won’t use inputs and outputs, just cat 5. I also needed more busses, wanting to keep the 16 FOH for sub mixes and FX and use the stage buses for monitors and IEM. So I am needing help with the routing because I am not real familiar with routing.
        • Apr 10
    • Dberry
      Dberry Let me try to make this easier.

Gear
      M32 Live FOH (16 busses for 6 stereo sub mixes and 4 FX)
      FOH will have a talk back for announcements and a laptop for playback music through a couple of AUX.
      Router and IPAD for X32 Rack
      X32 Rack - Stage
      S16 Digital - Snake Stage
      4X4 analog snake to run to front of stage for front line monitors and vocal mics.
      6 Wedge Mixes
      4 IEM - Shure PSM 300 (mono or stereo) 4 or 8 outs
      2 outputs (Left and Right)
      So I need 16 Outputs on stage
      I don't run subs on a bus - I have a BSS Blu-100 that runs my mains, so I just run L and R out.

I like to set levels on stage with the band, then set monitors after line check.
      This is why I like the gain coming from the X32 via the IPAD.
      Then I go to FOH and set EQ, Gates, Comp, and FOH mix.
      I have been running monitors and FOH many years by myself so I have a process as mentioned above. Most players can adjust their monitor mixes as needed during the show from iPhones etc..
      I provide the drummer an IPAD as well for his mix since most drummers use IEMS.
      I can make adjustments as needed from the iPad or X32 edit via router to the X32 rack from FOH during the show as needed for monitor mix changes.
      Is it possible to do the gain split and still have control of gain while at FOH after setting the stage gains?

With this in mind, I am new to the physical console. I have always just used a X32 Rack and S16 because I have always been a mobile sound guy. I just bought the M32 Live because I am doing a house install in a really nice club.

With this information how would you setup routing so that I can have these busses as stated above and be able to make FOH changes on the channel strip without it affecting IEM mixes?

I am a very seasoned sound engineer, just new to the routing of these boards so I am asking for advise on the best way to set it up and some help setting it within all the routing tabs.
      • Apr 10
        Paul_Vannatto Thanks Danny. That looks much better. The only snag I see now is if you have the 4 IEMs in the same rack as the X32 Rack and dedicate the 8 XLR outputs for the stereo feed for those 4 IEMs, that would force you to use the S16 outputs for all wedges and Main LR. If the S16 is to be place beside the drummer (ideal for the inputs), it would make it awkward for the 4 front wedges and Main LR. For that reason I would highly suggest you invest in an SD8 stagebox (8 XLR inputs, 8 XLR outputs, 2 Ultranet) and place it front-center to provide for the 4 front wedges and Main LR.

I also work as a mobile sound guy with my 2 X32 Racks (one as backup), 2 SD8 and 1 SD16 and find that the flexibility of the added stageboxes is worth its weight in gold. It really reduced the cable spaghetti onstage.

I can provide the routing for both scenarios (with X32 Rack/S16 and X32 Rack/S16/SD8) if you so wish.

Regarding the preamp control (gains and phantom), by default, the console closest to the preamps (preamps are an integral part of the XLR jacks) control the preamps and only one console can control the preamps at any one time. Since in your case the X32 is closest to the S16 (connection-wise), if you wish the M32 FOH console to gain control, you would relinquish control on X32 Rack (Setup, preamps, HA Remote, AES50 A or B) to what is connected to the appropriate AES50 port. If you wish a split gain control, you can enable the HA Gain split (Setup, preamps) which will provide all consoles with a digital gain (+-18 db). With that enabled, the console controlling the physical gain would have to do it on the Setup, preamps screen (instead of on the channel strip, config screen).
        • Apr 11
        Dberry I need to buy a few more things for the install so an additional stage box is not on the list currently. I have several analog snakes, one is a 4x4, that I run to the front of the stage for the monitors and vocal mics. Since this is an install, and the snake is 50 foot, I can run it under the stage then up under the drum stage for a clean install and just leave it connected to the S16. Same for the Left and Right Out. I also have various other snakes I can put around the stage as needed.

In a perfect world I would have everything digital but its not all cheap. Since I am eventually wanting to get a Midas DL32 for the better pre-amps, I would rather save up to buy that then the SD8, but I would still have to run analog snakes to various locations on the stage. Just he nature of the beast I guess.

I am still not understanding the gain split so for now let keep the gains on the X32 Rack since I set gain on stage with an Ipad then set monitor mixes with the band. I can always use the ipad or M32 edit at the sound booth to make adjustments as needed. Once gain is set, I don't normally make changes because it affects the monitors as well.

If you can send me the routing for the Midas M32, X32 and S32 setup that would be great.

The only other thing I can think of is if I could run the talkback to an AUX then somehow feed it to the X32 rack as a talkback into the monitors to talk to the performers as needed from front of house, that would be optimal. I am sure this can be done in routing but as I say, I don't understand the routing as well as mixing and running a stage.
        • Apr 11
    • Dberry
      Dberry I am not set on having a separate monitor mix to deal with but I need the busses because I like to run compression on the sub groups as well as the channels so I can go with light compression on the channels and more aggressive sub compression on the sub mixes. Then I can use DCA's running 1-32 to one DCA and the sub mixes to another DCA. This allows me to change the DCA mix as need to give more dynamics on softer songs then more compression on heavy songs. I use DCA for solo instruments such as turning up guitar solos or lead vocals and effects so I can work on one set of faders, but again this comes from always running an IPAD and wanting to sit on the DCA page once a good mix is set. Im sure I will change my thinking once I start using a physical board. I just don't see enough busses just using the M32 since I have added IEM units for the bands to use in this new club. I looks like i need 16 busses FOH and 14 for stage mixes.
      • Apr 10
    • Dberry
      KevinMaxwell Do you already have the M32 and the X32 rack and the S16? If not I would do it differently. It seems like a waste to use a Behringer stage box and have the Midas pre-amps going to waste in the M32.
      • Apr 11
        Dberry I already had the X32 and S16. I bought the M32 because of its better build and warranty/. I understand that the preamps are better but again, I have what I have. I will have to live with the X32 pre-amps until I have the money to buy a Midas DL32 stage box.
        • Apr 11
        KevinMaxwell I understand so I won’t write up my suggestions then.

But I will make a different suggestion and I am not sure if you have spare inputs to makes this work. I did this with a setup with an X32 in the broadcast control room and an X32Rack behind stage for the IEM mix and at FOH is an Avid console. I had a bunch of analog lines not being used so I took the Monitor outputs (balanced ¼” TRS) on the X32Rack and feed that back to the Avid console. Those inputs on the Avid aren’t routed to go anywhere but to enable you to solo (on the Avid) so you can listed to what you solo on the X32Rack controlling that function with a computer or a tablet. This enables you to listen to (solo) the MixBus sends on the X32 rack so if one of the musicians needs help with their mix you can hear what their mix is and help them out.

This might be able to be routed on the X32Rack by using ¼” TRS to XLR cables from the monitor outputs to a couple of spare channel inputs or maybe even to a couple of aux inputs. You just need to be sure to mute the MixBus sends to avoid someone sending that monitor signal to somewhere it shouldn’t be.

To anyone else following along unless you really know what you are doing don’t do this because you could wind up with a nasty loop.
        • Apr 11
  • New
    skipweaver50
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2021-01-04

Hello everyone.

I am trying to find out how to save every single thing on our Midas M32 so that if one day we walk in and all the settings are changed we can load them back to how we had it. Also, we want to have different settings saved for a different service, such as for the individual microphones. Is that called scenes? Can someone walk me through how to save those?

Thank you for your assistance!

read more...
    0 480
    • skipweaver50
      Paul_Vannatto Hi Anthony, scenes can save almost all settings on the M32. The only settings it doesn't save are the scene, cue, snippet lists as well as the Library presets and the first 4 screens of the Setup sections. If you want to save the cues, scenes and snippets, you would export (using the Utility button) the show (from the Cues screen. If you also need to save the settings on the 4 Setup screens, there are some 3rd party tools available.
      • Jan 4
      • Save Everything On Midas M32 And Changes Scenes
        skipweaver50 So if I save a scene, will it overwrite what is not saved? Does a scene save the output level for each channel?
        • Jan 5
      • Save Everything On Midas M32 And Changes Scenes
        Paul_Vannatto When you save a scene, you would go to the Scene screen, select a slot then save it. Anything in that slot will be overwritten by the new scene you are saving (if that is what you are asking). Yes the scene saves all output levels. If you want to see what a scene saves, export the scene (either using the Utility button on the console) or use X32-Edit, then have a look at the file using a text editor (eg. Notepad++).
        • Jan 5
Go to page