Statistics

259,806 members
138,224 posts
  • Angelos7
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-07-18

2 M32 + 1 DL32 sharing gain....is there any follow up gain feature that can be used at "slave console" to auto correct any gain changes from the"master console"????

0 364
    • Angelos7
      DaveMorrison

@Angelos7 Yes. There is a trim control for the console not controlling the pre-amps.

• July 18, 2019
    • Angelos7
      Paul_Vannatto

Hi Angelos @Angelos7,

Welcome to the forum. Yes you can enable the HA Gain Sharing (Setup, Preamps screen) that will provide each console with digital trim (+-18 db) on each channel strip. What that means is that the console that has control of the physical preamps (gains, phantom) will have to adjust the physical gains on the Setup, Preamps screen).

• July 18, 2019
    • Angelos7
      KevinMaxwell

Let’s for example say you are talking about a FOH console as the master and the Monitor console as the Slave. I assume that what you are asking for is can the monitor console auto correct what the master console just did. In Other Words if a person on the FOH console just increases the preamp gain on a vocal mic is there a feature that will then decrease the gain (or trim) on the monitor console so that mix doesn’t change.

The answer is no this feature is not in the M32 console system, at least not in an automated sense. It can be done manually but not automatically. This is why people recommend a hard wired or transformer split before the consoles preamps for a 2 console system with one at FOH and another one at Monitor world, so what one mix person does doesn’t affect the other mix person.

• July 18, 2019
  • SonicWave
    Contributor - Level 3
    2020-01-19

Hello Tribers,

I see in Routing where my mix bus feeds are assigned to Analog Outputs.  But, I am not seeing where the 16 Analog Outputs are routed to Main L/R.  The only two physical XLR out feeds are the L/R on outputs 15/16.  All the other mix buses find their way to Main L/R but I cannot figure out where that is configured.

Thanks!

read more...
    0 359
    • SonicWave
      Paul_Vannatto

Hi @SonicWave 

Check the XLR Out screen (for Out 9-16 assignment) if you have the Main LR connected to the back of the M32. If you are using a stagebox to make these connections, check the AES50 screen.

• January 19, 2020
    • SonicWave
      SonicWave

I should be more clear.

Currently, all my Mix Buses somehow end up in the main mix.   I did not configure that but each of my mix buses (with the exception of ones going to XLR 15 and 16) all end up in the main FOH mix. 

@Paul_Vannatto   are you saying those are assigned in blocks of 8 in the XLR Out tab?  If so, I am super confused.

• January 19, 2020
    • SonicWave
      Paul_Vannatto

@SonicWave wrote:

I should be more clear.

Currently, all my Mix Buses somehow end up in the main mix.   I did not configure that but each of my mix buses (with the exception of ones going to XLR 15 and 16) all end up in the main FOH mix. 

@Paul_Vannatto   are you saying those are assigned in blocks of 8 in the XLR Out tab?  If so, I am super confused.

If that is the case, it wasn't evident in your first post. If you have your mixbuses going to Main LR, and you don't want that, select each mixbus master fader, then select the Main screen and disable the LR. 

• January 19, 2020
    • SonicWave
      SonicWave

I am happy that my Mix Buses are going to the Main output but I am confused how they are getting there.

I understand the routing from mix bus to analog out. My question is how is the analog out is getting to L/R.

MixBus-1 -> AnalogOut-1 -> Main L/R

Where is that routing configured?   The only physical outputs from the board are two XLR for L/R and two XLR for monitor mixes.  My IEM's use CAT 5.

Thanks!

• January 19, 2020
    • SonicWave
      DaveMorrison

@SonicWave 

Screen Shot 2020-01-19 at 6.00.32 PM.png

This is the button that Paul is talking about.

• January 19, 2020
  • kozmosound
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-06-01

I am attempting to use an M32r at FOH and an X32 as a stage box. I get everything to connect.  All the green boxes are showing.  However, all I can seem to achieve is for the VU meters on the M32r to show what is on the X32 and nothing more.  If I change the name of a track on the X32 it doesnt effect the M32r.  If i adjust the fader on the X32 it doesnt effect the M32r.  Or vice versa.  Any insight into this and what I may be missing would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. 

read more...
    1 355
    • kozmosound
      RexBeckett

@kozmosound 

Hi Kozmo, welcome to the community.

It sounds like a problem with configuration or routing. Usually you would route all the local inputs on the X32 (stagebox) to AES50-A and connect this to the FOH AES50-A. Then set the FOH Inputs routing to the same AES50-A blocks to get the inputs from the X32.

The X32 pre-amp gains affect the signal going to the FOH but the X32 channel controls would normally only be used for local monitor mixes.

If you explain how you would like your system to work and where you want to connect the inputs and outputs, we can help you with the configuration. 

• May 31, 2019
    • kozmosound
      kozmosound

Sik thank you for the quick response.  I would like:

- M32r at FOH

- X32 on stage.

- All my inputs go into X32

- All my outputs come from X32

- I stand at M32 and twiddle knobs and it comes out the X32.

- Also would like a stereo pair of outputs at least for a feed for this stream that is happening. 

Both are firmware 3.11.  Currently connected M32r out of AES50A and into AES50A of X32.  I have a QSC chillin that I am using to listen to.  Stereo input into 1/2 of the X32 and out of where I want it to go (output 1/2 via matrix).  Essentially, my M32r is a glorified VU meter.  I can see all the levels that are on the X32 on my M32r.  But once I start moving faders, labeling channel strips, etc. neither effects the other.

Hope this makes sense.  I am on stand by for your response while I smoke more doobs and watch more youtube tutorials. 

• May 31, 2019
    • kozmosound
      RexBeckett

@kozmosound wrote:

Sik thank you for the quick response.  I would like:

- M32r at FOH

- X32 on stage.

- All my inputs go into X32

- All my outputs come from X32

- I stand at M32 and twiddle knobs and it comes out the X32.

- Also would like a stereo pair of outputs at least for a feed for this stream that is happening. 

Both are firmware 3.11.  Currently connected M32r out of AES50A and into AES50A of X32.  I have a QSC chillin that I am using to listen to.  Stereo input into 1/2 of the X32 and out of where I want it to go (output 1/2 via matrix).  Essentially, my M32r is a glorified VU meter.  I can see all the levels that are on the X32 on my M32r.  But once I start moving faders, labeling channel strips, etc. neither effects the other.

Hope this makes sense.  I am on stand by for your response while I smoke more doobs and watch more youtube tutorials. 

@kozmosound 

On the X32, set the routing like this:

X32 I.PNGX32 O.PNG

On the M32R, set the routing like this:

M32 I.PNGM32 O.PNG

You also need to define your outputs 1-16. That would be something like this:

M32 O 1-16.PNG

You need to adjust this to suit your mix and possibly provide your local stereo outputs to XLR or Aux.

It is probably easiest if you use the M32R Aux channels for the local inputs. These could still be through the local XLR inputs if required.

If you want to be able to control the X32 pre-amps from the M32, open the X32 Setup -> Preamps page and check HA Remote AES50 Port A.

Channel strip labels are local to each mixer so will not be reflected on the other device.

• May 31, 2019
    • kozmosound
      kozmosound

Awesome, I got it to work. It seems that I was missing the AES50a routed to AES50b on the Midas.  I dont understand why this AES50b is routed at all since Im not using that port on either device.  Also which unit should be "synchornized" to AES50A technically?  I swapped and have tried with one on AES50a sync and one on internal and vice versa and it seems to lead to the same result.  

• May 31, 2019
    • kozmosound
      RexBeckett

@kozmosound wrote:

Awesome, I got it to work. It seems that I was missing the AES50a routed to AES50b on the Midas.  I dont understand why this AES50b is routed at all since Im not using that port on either device.  Also which unit should be "synchornized" to AES50A technically?  I swapped and have tried with one on AES50a sync and one on internal and vice versa and it seems to lead to the same result.  

@kozmosound 

I'm happy to hear it is working but it cannot be due to the AES50-B routing. That is redundant in your configuration.

I would run the X32 with Internal synchronization and set to M32R to AES50 A. 

• May 31, 2019
  • SonicWave
    Contributor - Level 3
    2019-05-19

I am seeing unusual behaviour on my M32 running firmware 3.09.

When I load a scene, make modifications, and try to save it as a new scene, it brings along the name and notes from the originally loaded scene.  This was not the case for the past 8 months and I am unsure how to reset the behaviour.  It requires that I now backspace and change the name and notes.  Not very efficient and prone to error by having multiple scenes with the same name.

I plan to upgrade to firmware 3.11 this week but nothing about scenes is mentioned in the release notes and the behavior is not what is used to be.

Thoughts?

Skye

read more...
    0 353
    • SonicWave
      Paul_Vannatto

Hi Skye @SonicWave,

Welcome to the forum. Are you by chance seeing this issue when saving on the console itself? I haven't done it that way for some time, since I use M32-Edit most of the time. The console scene naming interface has got to be "worse case scenario" IMO.

• May 19, 2019
    • SonicWave
      SonicWave

Yes, on the console itself.  I can normally make a save quickly when the console behaves.

Is there a place I can open a ticket for this as it is clearly a bug?  I never encountered it until about a month ago.

Skye

• May 19, 2019
    • SonicWave
      SonicWave

Is this the correct place to discuss the M32?  It seems awfully quiet...

• May 21, 2019
    • SonicWave
      Ssgrumman

Good afternoon,

What seems to be happening with the scenes? If you could describe in some detail plz.

Sam

• May 22, 2019
    • SonicWave
      Ssgrumman

I had the same problem. Well, it’s more of a inconvenience. Any scene, before 3.09, would bring all the notes, stuff with it. Now, in 3.09, which had a couple of bug fixes, it also was the new design for X-Live. 3.11 would be a real smart direction to go. Since all 4 of my console are already on 3.11, I’m not sure if the, lets call them “unusual scenes”, will act the same, I've never tested it. 

Sam

• May 22, 2019
  • JRita
    Contributor - Level 1
    2020-04-06

I spend all day testing the mixer Dynamic settings to emulate transient responses of particular microphones, it works to a point as a transient emulator, and can be usefull.
    EQ lines of particular microphones are very easy to transpose.
    I used impulses and pink noise to get an accurate mic image, next I tested the best settings I could achieve with the Gate, Comp, Low Cut and EQ, and the result is very interesting and similar to the original mic, some better, others worse.
    I could achieve better results by using a transient designer on the FX section, but I don't want to use an FX slot for this purpose, to have the freedom to mix with all effects available, and without limits for channel use to mic modeling load.

Pros:
    It is easy to store and very quick and easy to load Mic Model settings, even from a USB pen.
    It provides interesting EQ and Dynamic settings from popular mics
    Low Cut can be adjusted to work as the real mic
    It is possible to load on diferent channels the same profile of an expensive mic
    By reversing the gain settings of EQ bands it is possible to flatten the original mic source, for example by pluging a SM57, then loading a SM57 profile, next reversing the EQ curve it is possible (to a point) to get a flat signal from the source.
    It can be usefull for decisions of what mic to purchase by experimenting with different instruments, vocals etc.

Problems:
    It uses channel dynamics and EQ section; but it can be changed anyway, or use FX slots for additional EQ or Dynamics.
    Proximity effect can be adjusted as the real mic behaviour but it takes an EQ band, reducing mic EQ resolution, of course proximity effect will never work real time as a mic.
    Polar patterns can be added but will never emulate room, ambient reflections, unless reverb is added.
    It can duplicate frequencies of some mics, by pluging in an D112, and using the D112 profile the mic characteristics will double.
    To work at best, the sound source must be captured as neutral as possible.

I am working of some rare RCA mics, when I finish them I will put the profiles available for download.

read more...
    0 352
    • JRita
      RexBeckett

@JRita 

Hello José, welcome to the community.

That's an interesting project. I shall look forward to seeing your finished profiles. I am reminded, though, of a saying from the world of signal processing: There are no adjustments that can make a donkey perform like a race-horse. 

• April 6, 2020
    • JRita
      JRita

I've finished 3 models for testing.
      Two classic mics: RCA 44, AKG C12; and the common Shure SM57.

I'm very happy with the results, after extensive testing, they sounded not exactly the same, but very close and definitly have the same frequency spectrum.
      The transient response is very difficult to emulate, and it is very far from the original, but it is as close as I could get, and it certainly defines more character and realism to the profiles.

How to use:
      Download the Zip, extract it to a USB pen.
      You should have a Microphone folder with 3 profiles inside.
      Plug the USB pen to your X32/M32
      Press Library, Utility, USB Drive Import, select (Microphones) Folder, Press All, Import; profiles are now loaded.
      (CAUTION It will erase your own Library profiles)

How it works:
      Press Library, you should see the 3 profiles on the channel tab.
      Press SELect on the channel you want to load the mic profile, and press Load Preset. You can load to various channels very fast by pressing Sel and then Load.
      VERY IMPORTANT - Adjust you signal level input to -18dB for optimal performance.
      Low Cut - Simulates the original mic Low Cut switch, if it is not present it wont do anything.
      Gate & Comp simulate the mic transient response, you can turn it off or adjust it to you taste.
      EQ - Press LOW and adjust the LOW GAIN to simulate the Proximity Effect, it reacts as the real mic, default is as far as possible with no proximity effect. The rest of the EQ settings simulate the mic frequency response.

Trick - To neutralize the mic frequencies of a real mic plugged in in order to get an aproximate flat response, reverse the image of EQ settings.(Change + to - and vice versa of every setting). You will have to choose the same profile of the mic your connecting.

ANOTHER TRICK -  try to use this as a master stereo EQ, very nice results as if the whole image is captured by a stereo pair.

Microphones Test.zip
      • April 8, 2020
  • NelsonVega
    Contributor - Level 1
    2019-07-23

when trying to update pro2. this error appears. Which may be? error #52 - Failed security check ... thanksWhatsApp Image 2019-07-22 at 13.21.02.jpeg

read more...
    0 339
    • NelsonVega
      ChaseMcKnight

Hi @NelsonVega 

Typically this is due to a corrupt firmware, likely it just downloaded incorrectly. Try downloading the update file again from the website and if you can connect to the internet via landline, even better. 

Re-format your USB drive (FAT or FAT32) and create a folder '  DL2Upgrades ' - then place the unzipped .tar file in the folder and try upgrading the console firmware again. 

Let me know if you have any other issues.

• July 25, 2019
  • AlexShostak
    Contributor - Level 2
    2020-04-18

Hi, we just got a used Midas PRO1 not to long ago and it came with a firmware version G3.4.6-(Build-10), today I download and installed the latest firmware from Musictribe website, and now the console shows G3.4.6-(Build-9), did I just went a firmware back? It is kind of confusing because the firmware we just installed added the new features that we didnt have before (VSS4 Reverb...), so does Midas go back on numbers when it comes to firmware builds? or was there some custom firmware installed in the console before we got it?

read more...
    0 338
    • AlexShostak
      Ishai

Alex- while that new reverb is AWSOME- do NOT use it in a show or at the minimum do Not edit it live- you will loose audio as there are not enough computing resorces in the console.  I lost audio for about 3 seconds attemting to edit the reverb during a show and it was confirmed by other users calling in to the music groop as it happened to them. (You can no longer call in, it realy sucks!)

Ishai

• April 18, 2020
    • AlexShostak
      KevinMaxwell

@Ishai wrote:

Alex- while that new reverb is AWSOME- do NOT use it in a show or at the minimum do Not edit it live- you will loose audio as there are not enough computing resorces in the console.  I lost audio for about 3 seconds attemting to edit the reverb during a show and it was confirmed by other users calling in to the music groop as it happened to them. (You can no longer call in, it realy sucks!)

Ishai

When you say you lost audio are you talking about losing all audio or just the audio that was going thru the reverb?

• April 19, 2020
    • AlexShostak
      Ishai

I lost all audio. 

Ishai

• April 24, 2020
    • AlexShostak
      Nigel67

Hi @Ishai , I saw your post on the webinar yesterday regarding the issue with the VSS4.  Personally I have not heard of this issue, however I think you were on the late webinar which was aimed at the USA audience, so maybe you have been in contact with the Vegas Team.  I will send you a private message so that I can get your e-mail address and we can start discussing the loss of audio you mentioned.  We may also need a video from you so that we can re-produce the drop out.  I will update this post for other watchers when we identify the issue.

• May 12, 2020
    • AlexShostak
      Nigel67

As promised, I am updating everyone regarding the report of the VSS4 audio drop out.  I have checked the console logs that the customer kindly sent over.  The issue was found to be that the wireless router (Mixtender app) was connected to the console and powered, but the server on the console had not been started.  The console therefore thinks that the router is part of the system i.e an IO box and sends messages to it trying to identify what the unit is.  The router however is on a totally different network and also cannot send messages back to the console (it is a 'dumb' unit).  The MC continues to send out messages which eventually start to swamp it.  What tipped the MC over the edge was when the adjustment of the VSS4 was made.  This sent more messages to the MC to change the parameters which caused the application to restart and a loss of audio for 2 -3 seconds.  When switching the server on, it switches the ethernet port on the MC into another state where it isn't sending out message to identify the unit connected.  A customer support notification was sent out, however with people buying consoles second hand, etc, it has probably not been seen by a lot of people.  I have attached the notification here.  To sum up, if you have a wireless router connected and powered, then the server should be started.  Otherwise, we advise that if the wireless router is not being used, then to either switch it off or unplug it.  I would advise that if you do use the mixtender app, then best practice would be to switch the server on everytime the console is powered.  This issue is quite random, it doesn't happen that often.  Many people work with the router switched on but the server off and have never experienced the issue.

Midas_PRO SERIES Ethernet Control Port Connection Service Support Document.pdf
      • May 27, 2020
  • genesisaudiopro
    Newcomer - Level 2
    2020-07-09
    Few months ago i buy a mixer from someone on ebay, he state that the board was a unit return from midas, i use it on my home studio and wasworkinggreat but 3 weeks after start to have some problems, suddenly start to make a pop sound and all the input meters star to go crazy and all the. Output reproduce the same pop sound even after disconnecting everything from the board, i have to turn off to make the problem go away but after couple times is just making the sound. Does anyone having this problem.
    read more...
    0 338
    • genesisaudiopro
      genesisaudiopro I get the board from individual seller on ebay, what i notice is that the box have a rma number on it wich tell me that the board was send out sometime before. I took the board to a local service center and they is a psu problem but they have that board for a almost 2 months now and still waiting from them to call me back.
      • July 9, 2020
    • genesisaudiopro
      DavidKnighton Hi Manuel. I would recommend retrieving the console from the 3rd party service center and sending to Music Tribe Las Vegas for service. They will be able to turn your repair around within a week or two. The only caveat is that the console was purchased 2nd hand, so there is no warranty. You can still have the console repaired, but they will assess a fee. You'll want to navigate to the support tab on the community page and submit a request for service. Someone should be able to get you an RMA.
      • July 9, 2020
    • genesisaudiopro
      DavidKnighton Hello Manual. If the PSU is dropping out, then it will cause pops. There could be an issue with the input board as well. Did you buy the console from MusicFactoryStore or Music Tribe US eBay store?
      • July 9, 2020
    • genesisaudiopro
      ChrisMoyles

As of 5/28/21 -Just an FYI that this is a power supply issue and one of our m32s has been out of commission for more than two months due to a delayed, then botched repair by MusicTribe Las Vegas. There are currently no replacement units available to trade out and replacement power supplies are in short supply. The unit just went back in and Music Tribe promises it will be a couple day turn around. They ate the shipping on this go-round, which amounts to $150 or so. I also called the parts department and backordered an extra power supply. Be wary. I had hopes for Midas retaining some of it's previously stellar customer service, but it looks like MusicTribe/behringer customer service has...well, behringer quality levels.

• May 28
  • tnguyen5166
    Contributor - Level 1
    2020-01-16
    0 337
    • tnguyen5166
      RexBeckett

@tnguyen5166 

Hello Tam, welcome to the community.

Firmware V4.00 has many problems. V4.01 fixes some of them but is still flawed. V4.02 is expected shortly. I suggest you re-install V3.12 until it is available. Use this method: copy the firmware file, on its own, to the root folder of a USB stick. Connect this to the console and hold in the USB button while turning on the power switch.

You can download V3.12 firmware from the M32 downloads page  if you check the Show Legacy Versions option.

• January 16, 2020
    • tnguyen5166
      DaveFletcher

Would you be so kind as to put version 3.12? back on the available firmware list. I'd dance at your next wedding!

Dave

• January 16, 2020
    • tnguyen5166
      RexBeckett

@DaveFletcher wrote:

Would you be so kind as to put version 3.12? back on the available firmware list. I'd dance at your next wedding!

Dave

@DaveFletcher 

Hi Dave, welcome to the community.

Do you not see it on the M32 downloads page or X32 downloads page if you check the Show Legacy Versions option?

• January 16, 2020
    • tnguyen5166
      Paul_Vannatto

@RexBeckett wrote:

Do you not see it at the bottom of the list on the downloads page if you check the Show Legacy Versions option?

That is the X32 firmware. The M32 firmware is a bit different. 

@DaveFletcher What exactly is the issue with the USB drive? It is working fine on my X32 Rack and the church's X32? Are you certain it isn't a routing issue?

• January 16, 2020
    • tnguyen5166
      RexBeckett

@Paul_Vannatto wrote:

@RexBeckett wrote:

Do you not see it at the bottom of the list on the downloads page if you check the Show Legacy Versions option?

That is the X32 firmware. The M32 firmware is a bit different. 

@tnguyen5166 @DaveFletcher @Paul_Vannatto 

A slip of the mind, Paul. Thanks for pointing that out. The M32 downloads page is here and also has V3.12 if you check the Show Legacy Versions option.

Robert, when you update the console firmware, it sets some of the global settings to default - including the sample rate. If your problem is with playing wav files from the USB, check the console sample rate matches that used for the recorded tracks.

• January 16, 2020
  • ChukGleason
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-08-30

Church sound tech here, we have a Midas M32R, about 15 months.  

I for one (and maybe it's only me) have been struggling to really understand the routing ideas in the M32R; I know there are some defaults, like inputs 1-16 default to the 16 XLR Inputs, etc.   Plus, I've got 16 channels of vocalist & instruments coming in thru AES50-A, as inputs 17-32.  

But is there any documentation the defines the default routing, and how do a quick startup & get music coming out for the FOH?  I see in the M32R Manual that it calls out that XLR outputs #15 &6 default to being the main stero pair.  Or XLR Jack #7&8, in another piece of documentation. (combing the Quick Start Guide and the Main Manual I've found a couple discrepancies between them) 

read more...
    0 334
    • ChukGleason
      DaveMorrison

Hi @ChukGleason 

On 16 output mixers, 15&16 are the LR main bus. On 8 output, 7&8 are the default outputs. Routing is one of the most confusing aspects of this mixer. Because it's powerful, it's a little harder to understand the concepts. The output assignments are generally done in two stages. Output 1-16 is main "staging" area to assign individual outputs from the many different sources (Aux Out and Ultranet can do the same). Output 1-16, however, is only an intermediate stage; these assignment go nowhere until they are then assigned to Card Output, AES50 A/B, or XLR Output.

If you have questions about input, output, and routing, this is the place to ask. You can upload a scene file for us to analyze or fix, send us a description of your system and requirement, and we can give you a hand.

The forum members are a great resource and will gladly help.

• August 30, 2019
    • ChukGleason
      ChukGleason

Dave - 

You've made a classic understatement about the complexity of the routing. 

So here's what I've worked out so far:

1) Define all your inputs; whethere Local, (1-8, 9-16) and whatever you're bringing in thru AES-50-A (and of cours -B, if you're using it)  Write them down, one by one.

2) Define your main output, Mono-Center or Main L-R, and if it goes out thru AES50-A to the amp, write that down; #8 for Mono, and #7 & 8 for stereo, route it from (whichever it is) to that AES-50A output

3) Standard input signal operation;  Solo it to get its initial level, adjust the input gain to your standard level (0 dB or -10 dB, or whatever is your common), adjust the channel slider to your comfortable level (again, 0 or -10)

4) Assign that channel to your  Main Output, with the Main Bus control portion on the upper control surface, adjusting Pan/Balance control as necessary if you're using Stereo. 

5) In the Routing screen of the main display, figure out how to assign Main L/R or Mono Center to AES50-A #7 & 8 or just #8; 

6) Assuming you've already got everything connected properly end to end, both incoming from the stage box to the mixer, and going out of the mixer back to the stage box & an amplifier & speaker, should be able to bring up your Main Level slider, and get some sound.  

7) Continue with each input, in turn, getting  a decent level going out to the Main Output.  

8) Each new output, such as Monitor speakers, or feeds to the other building or being sent to a PC for recording, is done similarly, but routed thru the MIX BUS sets; and you can route up to 4 at a time on one screen.

Here's my example:

1) Pastor's wireless  with lapel mic:  her mic gets routed everywhere (Main, Overflow, via MIX BUS2, Hearing Assist system, via MIX BUS 3, and  Recording, via MIX BUS 4 ) EXCEPT to the Monitors, which have routed thru MIX BUS 1, out the the AES50-A, #1 up to the stage box & to the monitor amp; 
      2) Associate pastor's mic, with lapel mic, exactly the same; because neither need to be heard in the monitor speaker for the praise band.  
      3) Next inputs, wireless headset mics for the vocalists, again, same except they DO get sent to the Monitor circuit. 

4) Next, instruments like the guitar, the Clavinova, the mic for the Grand Piano, each get the same input trim treatment routing to Main Output(s), and then to the correct MIX BUS outputs, except probably don't need any Grand Piano mic in the Monitor mix; we do want it in the Recording feed.

5) Output to other places can be sent out thru the #1 thru whatever XLR outputs, or maybe thru the AUX Outputs (again, my example, I round anything to be recorded, out thru AUX 5 & 6 as a stereo pair to a PC running Audacity). 

So, that's a rough draft of how to go thru setup & routing.  It does seem to be kind of daunting because you have to decide early on where things are going and how to get them there, without having made other decisions first, so it's a little 'recursive' ; you define some things, run your setup routine for levels & routings, then have to do it again, 

I'm reminded of my dad's story about his own mother, who married late at the age of 41 in 1915, a comparative old maid.  Her  new mother-in-law was trying to teach her to cook husband's favorites, and would often say 'Well, how much of this? Use your judgement!'   To which my grandma G would respond 'I am new to this, I don't have any judgement to fall back on! I need it spelled out concisely.  If I try to use my own judgement now, I'll probably fail, and not know exaclty where I've failed' 

So, does that make sense, as to what I've been struggling against?  Now I have to take that general (VERY general) setup routine, and boil it down to a step-by-step procedure that a newby could follow if ALL the experienced members of the sound crew were to (for example) fall off a cliff.

Further discussion requested here.  

Further apologies if I've already borked some description here; it's been a long day & the brain cells are shutting down.    

• September 20, 2019
    • ChukGleason
      DaveMorrison

@ChukGleason 

I think you have a pretty good grasp of the system. Sometimes it's the little things that can trip you up. For me, it's some of the labels and terminology that Midas uses—some of it seems backwards to me. Anyway—You can post your scene file if you ever get stuck. And we can always answer your questions. 

The matrix function may be of interest to you if your overflow and/or Hearing Assist system (maybe even the PC feed) is similar to the Main output. The matrix outputs could be a copy of the main output with separate Level, compression and EQ applied to it. This could reduce your five independent mixes down to two or three.

• September 20, 2019
    • ChukGleason
      ChukGleason

Dave -

Thanks for the offer to look at my file; here it is.  It's kind of a hodge podge of some different setups, combined non-linearly.  So there are a few disconnects and dead ends in a couple of the routings.  EX:  the way this is set up, the Main PA output is sent thru the Matrix 6 to the Recording output; altho I also have a MIXBUS #3 is supposed to go to the record output, instead. That way, the record output level can be independently controlled, separate from the Main Output.  Currently, if we make any adjustment to the Main Output slider, it also adjusts the record level.  

I've also only just realized another problem I have, not that it can be solved here.  The Main Screen of the M32R is just at the wrong distance for either pair of my glasses; either the short-distance readers, or the distance/driving glasses with a nearsighted bifocal.    Must be time for a new Rx for the eyes.  

Thanks.

Chuk

Midas M32R Scene Moderately standard.scn
      • October 22, 2019
Go to page