Statistics

299,763 members
183,540 posts
  • New
    tobes2208
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2022-04-25

Hi

Would be grafetul if anyone could assist me with this issue.

I have an X32 Compact and an S32 stage box. 

We are a 7 piece band, that uses iems and so we use up 1-12 mix buses, 13 and 14 are delay and reverb and 15/16 are for the main LR out. 

The X32 Compact goes to front of house with our engineer. The S32 is in a rack, which is on stage with the band.

When there are stageboxes already at venues, we usually take a left and right XLR from their stagebox and insert them into 15/16 outputs on the S32 to be able to be fed back to FOH.

However, there are occasions when we want to use the physical outputs on the X32 Compact to be our main LR out, (there is no feed from stage or there are patching issues within the venue) so we can patch to FOH directly next to it. The issue is there are only 8 physical outputs on the X32 Compact, with 7 and 8 patched as the main LR out. Is there a way to use the user routing to repatch the outputs so the physical 7 and 8 out on the back of the X32 Compact are being used as Main LR out and the s32 is using 1-14 as outputs?

Ive fiddled around in the routing menus, but tbh i feel like i keep confusing myself! 

read more...
    0 17
    • tobes2208
      Paul_Vannatto The Routing, XLR Out screen is where you assign the desired signals to the physical XLR-M jacks (outputs) on the back of the Compact. If you have already assigned the Main L/R to Outputs 15/16 on the Routing, Out 1-16 screen (in order to make up the blocks of 8 required for the AES50 assignments), then assign Out 9-12 to the Routing, XLR Out outputs 1-4, and Out 13-16 to outputs 5-8. That will send the Main LR outputs to both the Compact XLR outputs 7/8 and the S32 outputs 15/16.
      • Apr 25
    • tobes2208
      Deleted Member

Thank you for coming back to me, Paul. I tried out what i think you explained, but i was still unable to get the main L/R to come from Outputs 7 & 8 on the X32, without losing my mix buses that are coming from the S32.

• Apr 29
  • New
    EliezerZelaya
    Contributor - Level 2
    2022-04-07

Hey everyone.

I have 3 S16s daisy-chained. I physically re-routed some of the inputs (meaning that the inputs do not correspond to the channels, 1 to 1, 2, to 2, etc.). I routed the Wing Live to the AES50 port that I'm using. Then, I routed the CARD outputs to the ALT inputs. However, when I playback a session, some signals are not playing back on the correct channels. Specifially, those inputs that are not in order on the S16. Can someone explain how the Wing Live routing actually works? 

read more...
    0 17
    • EliezerZelaya
      Paul_Vannatto Make sure that the W-Live inputs (in the Routing, W-Live, Inputs screen) are the identical order to the channel strip Main sources. Then when they are played back, they will be in the correct order. That is the easiest way to solve your problem. Another alternative is to make sure the channel strip Alt sources are selected in the same order as the Main sources.
      • Apr 7
      • Behringer Wing - Wing Live (SD card) routing
        EliezerZelaya Thanks Paul! I didn't think of mirroring the W-Live inputs to the Main sources. I'll try that.
        • Apr 7
  • New
    forestraven
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2022-07-03

Hi Everyone

Love the WING. 

Ont thing that would make it even better is integrated AFS, eg. as an Standard/Premium FX.

Not that I don't want to buy an external device for this (FBQ, or from DBX) but having it in the Desk would solve a lot of a/d-d/a delay issues.

Any toughts on this?

Greets

Raven

read more...
    0 17
    • forestraven
      KevinMaxwell You asked for thoughts. Here is something I wrote about this a while ago.

My experience and opinions of feedback destroyers or feedback eliminators. I first have to say that I make my living doing sound and I have been doing this for a long time. These devices are not feedback eliminators, you will still have feedback but the device will hear it and react to it and put a filter in to eliminate that frequency. Depending on how they are set up they can really mess with the sound of a system. Relying on them for system tuning will usually result in a less then optimal sounding system. But if someone doesn’t know how to properly tune a sound system an anti-feedback device might help them.

I have been able to tune the monitors to the point that you can wave a mic at them and it won’t feedback and the musicians are happy with the sound and the level, unless they are deaf. And some musicians are deaf. Now a lot of monitoring issues is really a musicianship issue on stage, they play too loud and want too many things in their monitors but that is another subject. That comes under stage noise control. I have had hapless singers bend down on stage for some reason or other and stick the mic directly into the monitor. There is no way to tune them so that won’t feedback. This hardly ever happens to me, I think I had it happen only a couple of times over 4 years. And when it did happen I am not sure that an anti-feedback device will kill it faster than the musician realizing their dumb mistake and moving the mic very quickly out of the monitor. But those times I wished I had an anti-feedback device that would clamp it down quickly and then release it after a few seconds. And that is the way you need to set up one of these devices. Only have a few filters set to clamp down under extreme situations and have them then release after a few seconds.

I have used the anti-feedback part of some DSPs when setting up an unmanned system but there are some tricks to making it work and then only leaving a few filters to hunt for feedback and release relatively quickly.
      • Jul 4
    • forestraven
      Paul_Vannatto I would highly recommend instead of relying on the automatic FBQ to control feedback that you learn to use the built-in PEQ of each channel strip to properly EQ both inputs and outputs. I did that when I switched from my analog gear setup to the X32 (in 2014) and it has made a world of difference in the quality of the resulting sound.
      • Jul 5
    • forestraven
      forestraven

The WING - to my knowledge - has no EQ with notch filters, which makes it fairly useless when it comes to pulling specific frequencies. Also, I'm trying to avoid using an extra DSP between the desk and the monitor amps for delay reasons.
      Also - of course I can go ahead, look at problematic frequencies on the waterfall and pull those by hand. But I just ain't got time for that in a 30 min changeover.

• Jul 5
      • Wing Feature Request: AFS / FBQ as virtual effect
        KevinMaxwell The thing that stuck out in your reply was “Also - of course I can go ahead, look at problematic frequencies on the waterfall and pull those by hand. But I just ain't got time for that in a 30 min changeover.”

Why are you doing any EQ during a change over? I handle all of that before the show ever starts, once the system is set up and turned on I handle system EQ. And with digital systems a lot of that is saved in the equipment from previous show and I just recall it. I explain below why I am not doing anything related to system tuning on the input channels.

After I edited the information below and wrote most of this I reread your last reply and only then noticed that you mentioned monitor amps which I assume means you are referring to floor wedges. Everything that I wrote below still applies because if you don’t have the system setup and EQed properly first then you will be fighting that when dealing with the monitors. There are 2 ways to EQ them using the WING and those 2 methods can be layered. There is a 6 band parametric EQ on each Mix Bus output that also has Hi and Low shelving filters on it. An inserted Graphic EQ (according to my tests with Smaart adds just .66ms (that is less then 1foot) of delay to the monitors. That isn’t at all noticeable. If you do use the Graphic EQ be sure to try the True Curve setting. The monitors should be EQed before the band shows up and if done properly there should be no need to change that when changing bands. We always supply the Mics so we aren’t dealing with someone bringing a cheap piece of junk that no matter what you do with EQ in the monitors it will still sound and act like a piece of junk. I am also assuming that you are providing the monitors. And I will add here that the better the monitor the less EQ it usually takes to get good gain before feedback and they will sound better.

Below is an edited version cut and paste of something I wrote before to answer the same basic question.

The technique that I use for EQing a system is – I EQ the system for linearity, in other words what goes in is what comes out. Or as close to that as I can get. I use a software program called SMAART. This can be done by ear also but not as quick and as accurate as when using SMAART. With a program like Smaart there is a learning curve so it isn’t a quick program to learn and it isn’t cheap.

I can post how I recommend doing that by ear if you would like. DO NOT EQ to pink noise (trying to get it FLAT) with an RTA. Flat is not linear. In my opinion pink noise with an RTA is useless no matter how flat you might think it is. I have looked at many different Pink noise generators and most of them (it not all) are not FLAT. And FLAT is not what I am talking about here. Years ago before Smaart existed I used to use an RTA and I never used pink noise with it. When I had one to use I used it to confirm or tell me what frequency I was hearing by seeing it react on the RTA.

I then insert an EQ (on the vocal Mix Bus) and EQ that Mix Bus for gain before feedback. I can also post how I recommend doing that by ear if you would like. This is to give your vocal mics the best GBF (Gain Before Feedback) that you can reasonably expect. I find most mic’ed instruments don’t usually have a problem with gain before feedback and playback (CD) and instruments don’t need the additional EQ that the vocals do. If you try to do a best gain before feedback EQ on the whole system you take the life out of playback and a lot of instruments.

This all saves the input channel EQ for you to use to deal with anything you need to do to make that particular input sound better. And you generally don’t know that until they start singing. It might be that the person singing has a particular sound to their voice that needs a little help one way or the other. You need to get good enough to handle that quickly (without any one realizing it) while you are mixing. They may need a frequency range cut to make their voice more pleasant. I am a big proponent of cutting frequencies to fix things because I feel that boosting can cause more issues then it fixes. At a church recently the pastor who is a musician was concerned about how certain vocal mics were sounding and he had boosted the frequencies that he thought were missing. I showed him that if I cut the offending frequencies the sound cleared right up and the frequencies that he thought were missing were really there just kind of hidden by the offending frequencies. And I did that EQ on a Mix Bus that those mics were put thru.

This doesn’t even take into consideration on how to EQ the monitors. That will cost extra. Just kidding. If you want me to post how to do that by ear I can do that. I already posted what I think of feedback suppressors.
        • Jul 6
    • forestraven
      Paul_Vannatto The Wing's channel strip PEQ can notch any frequency range. The Q will adjust the width of the range from wide to very narrow. Rarely do I have to use anything more than the channel strip PEQ for feedback control. Granted, there is also the element of proper speaker placement/alignment that will also affect feedback control.
      • Jul 5
  • New
    Soccerman58
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2022-06-09

Hi

Please see picture.

I have the Leisure Compressor as an insert on my vocal mics but I do not want compression in my vocal monitors (or so I have been told anyway).

Should I select Input as the pick-off point for the monitor send as shown in the picture please?

Thanks

Phil

read more...
    0 17
    • Soccerman58
      Paul_Vannatto Input is tapped immediately after the preamp (thus no channel processing). If you want the channel's gate and EQ processing in your monitor, but not the Leisure comp insert (or the built-in comp), make sure the Insert and Dyn are not set to Pre (on the channel's "Channel" screen). Then set the channel send to the monitor bus to post EQ.
      • Jun 9
      • X32 Edit question about monitor pickoff point
        Soccerman58 Hi Paul. OK thanks. Why are the Mix Busses in pairs like this please? I can't select Bus 1 without automatically changing Bus 2 to be the same as Bus 1. Same for the other pairs. I don't think this will affect me, but I would like to understand the reasoning. Presumably it is done for a reason. Thanks much.
        • Jun 10
    • Soccerman58
      Paul_Vannatto Only the taps are in pairs. That is by design. If you want to use a different tap, use one of the next paired mixbuses.
      • Jun 10
  • New
    sridhar2021
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2021-10-15

Hi

i puchased a Behringer Q1202USB mixer from the US and realise it takes only a 110 V input.

As I live in Asia which has 230 volts power, what step down transformer should I look for. What should be the specifications in terms of voltage and wattage? This has a power consumption of 20 W.

read more...
    0 17
  • New
    pilgrims1
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2022-02-17

Now I have another idea for WING.

1. AUTO FOLLOW LABEL & CONFIG(M/S/M.S) from IN to WLIVE REC & PLAY when it assigned.
    2. AUTO ASSIGN WLIVE PLAY CH (WLIVE REC ASSIGNED) TO ALT CH.

Two above would be great easy way for virtual sound check in Live Sound Operations.

Thanks...

read more...
    0 17
    • pilgrims1
      PatrickGMaillot As mentioned on the FB thread too:

AUTO FOLLOW LABEL & CONFIG(M/S/M.S) from IN to WLIVE REC -> This is already the case, assuming your INs have correctly be setup prior to being assigned to WLIVE REC. You acyually can modify the INs after they have been assigned to WLIVE REC and WLIVE REC will follow what the INs says

AUTO FOLLOW LABEL & CONFIG(M/S/M.S) from IN to WLIVE PLAY -> doesn't make sense, it would actually be the other way around (WLIVE PLAY -> channel strip). There is no recording of whatever track customization (label, icon, etc.) in recorded sessions. So impossible to restore that when playing back the session through WLIVE Play. *This* could be an addition to sessions log files. What you can do today is automatically set the WLIVE Play customization according to channel strips (use the CH->SRC button in the routing screen top right)

AUTO ASSIGN WLIVE PLAY CH (WLIVE REC ASSIGNED) TO ALT CH: Not sure I understand this one... See above w.r.t setting WLIVE Play from rec data (not possible today). You can use +1auto to setup your ALT ch strips with WLIVE play, but customization doesn't seem to follow as it does when using MAIN (could be a bug, or a missing feature)
      • Feb 18
      • [WING] new idea for WING is here.
        pilgrims1 Above Idea options is my own wish and hope.
        and....
        In other words in one sentence.....
        AUTO SETUP for WLIVE VIRTUAL SOUND CHECK.
        SETUP ==> IN label config to WLIVE REC PLAY.
        Auto assign WLIVE PLAY ch to ALT In when WLIVE REC assigned from IN.
        • Feb 19
      • [WING] new idea for WING is here.
        PatrickGMaillot Of course, and I respect that.
        • Feb 22
  • New
    RossMiller
    Contributor - Level 2
    2021-09-27

So Doing a large concert over the weekend Several bands, 32 channels used, 8 hour show.
    X32 w XLive card and 2 midas DL16s. firm 4.06 2.5. I have been using this system fore over six years and I have NEVER seen anything like this.

I run the console for the live show
    we send a 32 channal USB to a separate person who is multi recording on pro tools, we also send a stereo buss feed for redundancy and to capture the overall mix. Been doing this for years with no hiccup (pre 4.0 firmeware)

This year we added a thumb drive on top for an extra stereo record FAT formatted

Show starts and I push record for the thumb drive and see the cassette display working and input meter.

about four hours in, we noticed that the red indicator light for the thumb drive was off. I went the USB window and nothing was moving. I did not even see input meters.

I pushed Cancel but nothing happened. I pulled the drive out and then.......

The main sceern started flickering and glitching then at about ten seconds it came back but now the console was frozen. We had screen and lights but nothing was responding. It was still passing audio.

So I prepared the crew to shut the amps off so we could restart the console and snake heads and not fry speakers. ( this was a casual enough gig so we could do this)

While waiting for the song to finish. (about 30 seconds). the console completely shuts off. Blank screen, no lights, no audio. About 15 seconds later it rebooted. Fortunately softly, with no pops or bangs, and we were running again.

We had to restart the pro tools record since it lost sync. but the rest of the day went fine.

So what happened? Again fortunantly this was a casual enough gig so no harm, but what caused this and how do I prevent this in the future? The soft restart was a blessing but, I have used this system on many really high profile and high pressure shows. Having a failure like this would be horrible.

the thumb drive only showed a 3kb file but 3gb of usage so certainly it was corrupted

read more...
    0 17
    • RossMiller
      KevinMaxwell Every time I hear about a console freezing it seems like there is a USB thumb drive involved.

I have also heard that some IEC cables don’t fit as tightly as others so be careful and make sure it feels nice and tight when you plug and unplug it from the mixer.

How was the power to everything? We use an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) when the show is critical even with an A/C tie in. For a beach concert series we do we are tied in to an A/C panel and since it isn’t as critical we don’t use the UPS there. But I would really prefer to have a UPS even there, but it isn’t my call for those shows. I always recommend a UPS, the pure sine wave type where it is constantly working and there is no switchover time at all.
      • September 27, 2021
  • New
    DonSealer
    Contributor - Level 2
    2022-02-01

How do I send my fx and eq settings to my daw?   I'm sending from xr18 to Reaper.

Thanks,

Don.....

0 17
    • DonSealer
      Paul_Vannatto On the In/Out, USB Sends screen assign the desired FX (1-4) to one of the outputs. Which EQ are you wanting to send?
      • Jan 31
      • Send fx eq to daw
        DonSealer Not sure what you mean, which eq
        • Feb 1
    • DonSealer
      DonSealer Paul, thanks for the reply. However, I'm not sure what you ask, which eq are you wanting to send.
      • Feb 1
    • DonSealer
      Paul_Vannatto Hi Don, you asked "How do I send my fx and eq settings to my daw?" and I asked which EQ. Are you asking about the channel strip EQ?
      • Feb 1
    • DonSealer
      DonSealer Yes the channel strip eq
      • Feb 1
    • DonSealer
      Paul_Vannatto On the In/Out, USB Sends screen change the taps to Post-EQ
      • Feb 1
  • New
    jimkeaney
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2022-08-09

When I monitor "LR+M/C" in my X32 compact's Monitoring/Headphone section, if I pull down the Main Fader (LR), I still hear everything. Is this a bug? I see the "LR AFL" option (which I believe is the factory default), but I want to hear the Mono Bus alongside the LR Mix because I run a Comm system return through an X32 channel feeding *only* the Mono Bus, so it is in my headphones but not present in the actual (LR) broadcast mix. Monitoring LR+M/C in my headphones, I also cannot not hear the Stereo Limiter (inserted on the LR) having any affect when inserted on my LR Mix. Some colleagues suggested that I had my LR tap point wrong, but I can confirm it it Post Fader. So either this is a bug, or... should I be requesting a "LR+M/C AFL" headphone option?

Can anyone confirm if this is normal/expected and any workarounds to what I'm trying to accomplish? Thanks

read more...
    0 16
    • jimkeaney
      KevinMaxwell What you are looking for it’s the default position of the Monitor send, in this case it seems like you are using headphones. And I don’t see that as a choice there.

If you aren’t constantly soloing other things you could just solo the L/R and the Mono. To get the L/R after all inserts if you have 2 matrix sends available you could link 2 matrix sends and then send the L/R and the Mono (M/C) to those 2 Matrix sends.

I tried the following that I had posted and I couldn't find a way to do that in a snippet. If that can be done Paul V. would know how to do it. >>>You could probably also configure a snapshot to just enable the Matrix solo and you should have the ability to recall that on a user button if that is what you are looking for.<<<
      • Aug 9
  • New
    lhill1palm
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2022-06-19

I have submitted two tickest to have my x18 repaired but have not received a response from anyone.  I looked up both tickets and they both read resolved. How can that be when noone ever contacted me. ticket number was CAS-607449-C5H2K2. I just submitted a third ticket maybe i can get some action. There is no way to contact anyone except through a ticket is there?

read more...
    0 16
    • lhill1palm
      Nigel67 Hi lhill1palm. I have been checking back through your cases and it looks like a colleague was discussing your unit problem with you back on 17th May and advised that you needed to send it off for repair and gave a link to the repair centres. This was case CAS-600610-W4Z9X3. I also just noticed that the same colleague has picked up one of the duplicate tickets that you have sent in and replied to you yesterday. Its case CAS-608677-W4N7J5. Please can you check your spam and junk folders if his e-mail is not in your main inbox. Many thanks
      • Jun 19
Go to page