Statistics

294,240 members
177,324 posts
  • MadDogUS
    Contributor - Level 1
    2020-09-02

Asked this a couple of years ago and no answer and no new products since then either. Should I ditch Midas and go with another brand that actually released new better products lately?

Seen nothing new since M32 (live version was just same as old M32 with a better recording card). Meanwhile there has been many new products from competitors like Allen Heath, SSL etc. all leapfrogging Midas. The new Heritage D is still nowhere to be found. The M32 can't compete with Allen Heath SQ serioes. The Pro 2-3 there are many newer better consoles etc. Did Behringer kill Midas off? The Behringer wing is loosing bad to the Allen Heath SQ series. The Pro series is loosing to Allen Heath 3 new lines and the top is loosing to Avid and SSL. Should I just cut my ties with Midas?

This is important to my company since we are in dire need of updating our Midas mixers. But do we need to change brand too?

read more...
    0 2,350
    • MadDogUS
      Nigel67 Hi Johan, there is an extremely exciting product that is just about to go into full production, the HD96. Please see the links below. This is our new flagship console and has been receiving rave reviews from clients who have been able to demo one. Please advise which country you reside in and I will put you in touch with our local distributor, who if they have a demo console will be more than willing to demo it to you - conditions permitting. You definitely do not want to ditch Midas, this is an amazing console.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLcIKUB08bA
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wFWzKbkU3Y
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4KYW6DX3eY
      • September 2, 2020
      • What is happening with MIdas?
        MadDogUS At first we are looking for something in same class as Allen Heath Avantes 64 channels to replace the 32 -48 channel mixers we have that is running out of channels and processing. Looking for a system that can have a FOH control surface and live/recording mix console from same stage box(es) (in a separate room to mix with the video mixer to feed live or recorded video). Heritage-D seems good, but it will be to large and expensive to replace the current in use mixers. We are in US and the larger venue we had is shut down so the more immediate (next few months) is something for smaller venue since we can't have any audience live, just live feeds and recordings.
        • September 3, 2020
        Nigel67 Hi Johan, Many thanks for the reply, sorry didn't see the notification until now. Yes, I think that the HD is probably a little over the top for your present requirements. Its either the M32 LIVE or the Behringer Wing that we can offer. The Wing is getting some fantastic reviews.
        • September 10, 2020
    • MadDogUS
      GeorgeDougherty The Wing may or may not be adequate for your needs if you're looking for 64 channels. With all the mix channels being stereo capable, you may find you burn fewer mix channels dealing with stereo playbacks and keyboards. You get 40 full-featured mix channels and 8 aux channels. Build quality and operation feels more Midas level despite the Behringer badge and the price point for its capability is killer.
      • September 13, 2020
        MadDogUS We tried the Wing was not impressed compared to even the Allen Heath SQ series. which sounded much clearer. We are looking for a 96k pro board not a 48k recreational board. Although that is also too small for us, so we are currently looking at the size of AH Aventis which should work for us in the next few years for the smaller midsize events/venues. I was hoping for a new version of Pro1 that could compete with Aventis for price and quality but so far the consoles other than AH are either too big or too outdated (Pro1, 2 etc.).
        • September 13, 2020
        GeorgeDougherty Yeah, there's definitely a hole in the Midas lineup currently.

Personally I'd love to see a 64 channel Midas variant of the Wing with 24-36 bus + 8 matrix. Firmware on the Wing keeps improving workflow but it still has some issues for me. Otherwise, I'd hardly call it recreational. It's almost on par with the Yamaha CL series I love in routing and processing, just short on input channel processing.

Most of my gripes are easily software correctable and while I don't discount what you're hearing, with actual Midas stage boxes handling the IO the sound quality is everything I need to put together good and transparent mixes in a live environment. It sounds better than the X32 and I know from experience even an X32 on a D&B J rig sounds damn fine for a touring band and several thousand people.

I was about to pull the trigger on a 32+16 channel DLive C series setup with Dante card prior to my Wing purchase,.
        The tab was pushing $15K, but the Wing + 48 channels of Midas stage boxes did everything I needed out of the DLive at less than half the price.

If 40 channels don't cut it for you that's fine. As for 96K, when I can actually hear the difference between 48K and 96K mixdowns in my studio, and the double-blind studies stop showing other people can't either, I'll worry about that being a bar for "Pro" work in the live arena.
        • September 14, 2020
  • balky
    Contributor - Level 2
    2020-06-19
    Now that I have this m32r Live mixer, I can really see the difference between this and m32r. The buttons do look cheesy - cheap plastic with painted labels - this is eventually going to get erased. I ve seen buttons like that on various portable recorders, etc. NOT long lasting. And I watched a video where a guy is showing how motorized faders work: so fast! On LIVE version it is almost twice as slow (with fast faders enabled). And in that video faders work in sync. On live version, it seems first one group of faders moves, then the other. sort of by turn. Really weird. I feel really cheated that I could not get the real m32r and got this one :(
    read more...
    0 1,635
    • balky
      Paul_Vannatto Hey Pavel, first issue - check assignments to those buttons. They are probably assigned to the time of delays and act as tap tempo buttons (and blink according to the time settings). Second issue - slow faders - upgrade the M32 firmware to latest (4.02). There is now a setting to increase the fader speed.
      • June 18, 2020
      • M32R vs. M32R LIVE
        balky Paul, thank you very much! I knew I would come out stupid. I did figure out why those buttons blinking But as far as fast faders, I do have this option enabled, and I mentioned it. with that in mind, comparing to the m32r on youtube video, it is still not as fast ... oh, well. there is much I can do about it anyway... I wanted to get that version, but it was sold out at every store I 've been to
        • June 18, 2020
    • balky
      GaryHiggins Load up firmware 3.07.
      • June 18, 2020
      • M32R vs. M32R LIVE
        balky Hey, Gary! Thanks so much. I tried this software: the faders moved like crazy LOL. But, there are some things that do not work like scene names turned into some number signs with "go figure out" names. Edit app does not work with that firmware... So, it was cool for the sake of experiment to try. Unfortunately, returned to 4.2 Well, at least I know that it is all in the hands of firmware
        • June 19, 2020
      • M32R vs. M32R LIVE
        GaryHiggins The reason that's true is the Edit v 4.01 wont work with it. Now you are back to 4.02 try fast fader setting. With V 3.07 you need to use the older version of M32-Edit the version of Edit you use is 4.01 and will only work for version 4 mixer firmware and above.
        • June 19, 2020
      • M32R vs. M32R LIVE
        balky I figured that much I've always used Fast faders feature. It was not as fast as in 3.07 though. Oh well. It is not a problem, I am concerned more about these buttons... afraid to touch them so the ink would stay longer LOL
        • June 21, 2020
      • M32R vs. M32R LIVE
        balky You know what I wanted to ask?! 2 things: 1. Does the board switch sample rate automatically? Or it has to be manually set every time? If so, that's really annoying. I have different projects, and every time I open a 48 Hz project it sounds slow LOLL it scares the hell out of me! It does not even tell you CHANGE SAMPLE RATE. Weird. With presonus it would just change the rate. 2. Well, I kind of suspect that the answer to this one will be NO, but I will ask anyway Is it possible to connect to mixer from outside the local area network? It would be very handy for me I could control the board from outside my home... Thx
        • June 21, 2020
  • New
    skipweaver50
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2021-01-04

Hello everyone.

I am trying to find out how to save every single thing on our Midas M32 so that if one day we walk in and all the settings are changed we can load them back to how we had it. Also, we want to have different settings saved for a different service, such as for the individual microphones. Is that called scenes? Can someone walk me through how to save those?

Thank you for your assistance!

read more...
    0 1,520
    • skipweaver50
      Paul_Vannatto Hi Anthony, scenes can save almost all settings on the M32. The only settings it doesn't save are the scene, cue, snippet lists as well as the Library presets and the first 4 screens of the Setup sections. If you want to save the cues, scenes and snippets, you would export (using the Utility button) the show (from the Cues screen. If you also need to save the settings on the 4 Setup screens, there are some 3rd party tools available.
      • January 4, 2021
      • Save Everything On Midas M32 And Changes Scenes
        skipweaver50 So if I save a scene, will it overwrite what is not saved? Does a scene save the output level for each channel?
        • January 5, 2021
      • Save Everything On Midas M32 And Changes Scenes
        Paul_Vannatto When you save a scene, you would go to the Scene screen, select a slot then save it. Anything in that slot will be overwritten by the new scene you are saving (if that is what you are asking). Yes the scene saves all output levels. If you want to see what a scene saves, export the scene (either using the Utility button on the console) or use X32-Edit, then have a look at the file using a text editor (eg. Notepad++).
        • January 5, 2021
  • New
    althea1076
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2021-04-06

Hi folks,

I recently purchased an MR18, and my Macbook (M1 Chip) will not recognize the MR18 as an audio device.  An old 2015 macbook  recognized it no problem, so I think it has something to do with the new M1 architecture. 

Is there plans to release a driver to make the MR18 class compliant with current Macs?  Or is there a workaround so I can record via my MR18 to my current gen Macbook?  Would really like to keep this thing 

read more...
    0 1,429
    • althea1076
      Nigel67 Hi althea1076, all our USB USB audio / midi devices are fully UAC2.0 class compliant and do not require drivers under MAC OS and will continue to work under CoreAudio as before. You will need to take this up with Apple. However, we haven't received any complaints from other customers so this could be a set up issue rather than an incompatibility. Make sure the MR18 is running the latest software version.
      • April 6, 2021
    • althea1076
      Anacrousered I already mentioned this in the beginning of this year (CAS-422198-R6R0B2-CRM:0048100004722) ... Both Apple and you say the problem is on the other one's side ... I tried latest Midas version and updated macOS Big Sur to 11.4 in the hope something would have changed but no progression ... it's a pity because I like the MR18 but can't use it anymore as I can't regulate the volume
      • June 18, 2021
    • althea1076
      epeltzman

I was having this same problem, driving myself crazy trying to get audio to send out of CoreAudio and through the M-Air interface running Big Sur 11.4. I did, however just fix it (I think). I reset my MR18 twice and am running 11.7firmware version. transferred it to another machine running the same OS, and got it working there. I transferred back to my work computer, transferred settings from the mixer to the pc, and now everything is working (for now)

• July 20, 2021
  • New
    geronimomitch
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2021-05-23

I've just bought an M32C, after a cup of years using an Behringer X32 Rack. It's really sound like a few step above, except I'm still not able to save or load scenes on USB drive (witch is so easy and convenient with X32Rack). There's a load/export show fonction in the set up menu, but I could'nt get through using it... Yet, it's written in the (very short) manual that USB front port allows to save and load scenes, but no more explanations... Could someone help me please?...

read more...
    0 1,338
    • geronimomitch
      Paul_Vannatto What is the version of the firmware on the M32C? If it is not the latest (4.06), you should update, since this issue (saving/loading scenes) was fixed in one of the updates.
      • May 24, 2021
    • geronimomitch
      geronimomitch Thank You Paul for your answer. I've got the 4.06 firmware version, but I'm still looking for a way to save/load scene to/from USB drive. If you know about that...
      • May 25, 2021
    • geronimomitch
      Paul_Vannatto Supposedly you would do it the same as with the X32 Rack, using the Utility button. The other option is to use the X32-Edit or M32-Edit (for PC, Mac, linux or Raspberry Pi). It has 2 sets of cues, scenes, snippets. The first set is what is on the computer and the second set is what is on the console. Simply load the console scene, switch to the computer scene screen and save.
      • May 25, 2021
    • geronimomitch
      Paul_Vannatto A couple of other options are
      1. Patrick's X32GetScene - https://sites.google.com/site/patrickmaillot/x32#h.p_enUJQysuinNU
      2. Live Toolbox using the Export command - https://sourceforge.net/projects/x32livetoolbox/
      • May 25, 2021
  • New
    Dberry
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2021-04-10

Hi guys. I just got an M32 for FOH. I want to be able to use all 16 buses for stereo sub mixes and effects sends at FOH.

I then want to use the X32 Rack that is on SR as the monitor board, using 1-14 busses for monitors.

I want the gain knob on the x32 Rack to be my master gain for both boards so I can set gain onstage while getting instrument level checks from the band.

I want the s16 by the drums for inputs 1-16 (drums and some back line instrument) and the the x32 Rack inputs for 17-32 (frontline vocals and instruments. 

*EDIT* 
    I want outputs 1-8 to come from the x32 Rack for monitor mixes or L and R
    I want outputs 9-16 to come from the S16 for monitor mixes or L and R
    LEFT and RIGHT can come from either the S16 or the X32
    *END EDIT*

The M32 at FOH will not require any input or outputs except for a talkback mic to communicate with the band and or audiance anouchments and a laptop into a set of Aux's for music playback. All that will be running to FOH will be the talk back mic, laptop and an Eithercon cable.

My main goal here is to be able to use all 16 busses at FOH for 12 sub mixes and 4 FX's. Then have all 16 buses on stage from the X32 rack and s16 for monitor mixes.

I won't have a monitor engineer so I thought I would set gain on stage and setup a quick wedge and IEM mix for the band, then move to FOH for sound check. Since I am running IEMs I want to be able to make EQ, gate, and Comp adustments at FOH without it chaining their IEM mixes. I am not that thrilled about have two Seperate board mixes but I do want all of my FOH buses for sub mixes so I can compress the sub mixes and make group eq changes on the sub mixes. 

Is this possible, or is there a better way. I just don't want to eat up all of my FOH buses on monitors and not have them available for effects and sub mixes. 

read more...
    0 1,227
    • Dberry
      Paul_Vannatto Hi Danny, for the most part, most everything you listed that you want can be done, except for the following:
      * "outputs 15 and 16 to come from the X32 Rack for Left and Right to the mains". The X32 Rack does not have physical outputs 15/16. It has 8 XLR outputs and 6 Aux (1/4") output levels.
      * The Main LR from FOH should not be routed to the X32 Rack Aux Outs, due to a slight drop in outputs.
      * Also the 4 IEM's should be stereo. Those that use IEMs prefer stereo rather than mono.
      * What about outputs for subs?
      Looking at those requirement, I would suggest you consider adding another stagebox, such as the SD8 that would provide more physical outputs.
      • April 10, 2021
      • Need routing assistance for m32 FOH, X32 rack stage monitor mixer and S16 digital snake
        Dberry Yes your right. I said 15 and 16 meaning 7 and 8 because of the outputs. As you know, I have 8 on the s16 and 8 on the x32 so i just misstated the number. So really from the x32 it would be better to have 1-4 got to IEM in the rack the 5-8 going to Front line monitors (4 mixes). Then I could use 1-4 from the s16 for drum monitor and 3 other wedge mixes. 7 and 8 from the S16 could run to the main L R.
        • April 10, 2021
    • Dberry
      CraigFowler Need some clarification. In the first sentence you say you want to use the M32's 16 buses for stereo submixes and *FX* sends at FOH. That's fine.
      Later on you say that your main goal is to use all 16 buses at FOH for 12 submixes and 4 *monitor* sends. If you're doing this, presumably you want to output those monitor sends on stage. Given that you've only got 16x XLR on stage, and you're already using 14x of them for the Rack's buses + 2x of them for LR from the FOH console, where were you planning to output those extra 4x monitor sends from FOH?

Presuming you meant FOH buses only get used for FOH things, as Paul mentions, 14x monitors from the X32Rack + LR from FOH can fit on the 16x XLR sockets between the X32Rack and the S16. However you've said that you only want to use 4x outputs on the S16 for bus 9-12, which means trying to fit 12x signals on the X32Rack's 8x XLR outputs, which doesn't fit. You could use the X32Rack's TRS sockets for the other 4x signals, however personally I'd prefer to not use the X32Rack's TRS outputs, as they have 5dB less headroom than the XLR sockets. A patricularly hot mix may be fine on the XLR sockets, but might clip on the TRS sockets. If you don't want to buy any additional hardware like an SD8 to get extra output sockets, you may have to use more than 4 outputs on the S16, or make sure that the mixes you're outputing on the X32Rack's TRS sockets aren't too hot.

As Paul also mentions, you mention using outputs 1-8 on the X32Rack for 4x IEMs + 4x wedges. This indicates that the IEMs will be mono. If you can save buses at all, try to get IEMs stereo. Musicians find it a lot easier with IEMs if you can give them a stereo band mix and run their own channels straight up the middle. If the X32Rack is only being used for monitors, you can use its LR bus as a separate stereo mix (if you can make the physical output for it.)

Re the gain; if you're not going to have a Monitor Engineer, you may as well set the FOH console to control gain, then once it's set enable HA gain split on FOH so that further gain changes won't affect monitors. You could also control the X32Rack from the Laptop @ FOH using Edit if you can run an extra Ethernet cable from the stage to FOH and have a router. Either of these solutions mean you don't have to actually set gain on the Rack; you can do everything from the FOH mix position. If you are going to dial in quick wedge mixes from stage, I'd recommend you involve a wifi router and a tablet so you can stand in front of the wedges as you dial it in, instead of trying to do it from sidestage.

If you are going to be trying to mix monitors from the FOH mix position, I'd recommend routing the X32Rack's solo bus back to FOH, and using Edit on the laptop\tablet @ FOH connected to the X32Rack so you can solo the monitor mixes from the FOH mix position and hear your changes.

PS, If you don't have a Monitor Engineer, running FOH for a 32 channel show + 14+ monitor mixes all from FOH is a lot of work for one person... Good luck with it.
      • April 10, 2021
      • Need routing assistance for m32 FOH, X32 rack stage monitor mixer and S16 digital snake
        Dberry Yes sorry, I meant sub mixes and *FX* at FOH. Also, yes the x32 rack will will be ran from an IPad to ring out monitors and walk around the stage.
        • April 10, 2021
        Dberry I would love the gain control at FOH but I usually set gain when I am on the stage. When I sound check, I normally stand on stage with the band so I can talk to them. I set gain on every line then while standing with the members in front of their monitors, I set their monitors where I can hear what they are getting. I normally go through level settings with the faders down, then set monitors. Then I have them go back around each input and set FOH EQ, gates, comp, levels. I have always just used a x32 rack and S16 for everything but I am doing a new club install and bought an M32 live board and bought four sets of IEM since a lot of band are using IEMs in conjunction with monitors these days. Because of this FOH won’t use inputs and outputs, just cat 5. I also needed more busses, wanting to keep the 16 FOH for sub mixes and FX and use the stage buses for monitors and IEM. So I am needing help with the routing because I am not real familiar with routing.
        • April 10, 2021
    • Dberry
      Dberry Let me try to make this easier.

Gear
      M32 Live FOH (16 busses for 6 stereo sub mixes and 4 FX)
      FOH will have a talk back for announcements and a laptop for playback music through a couple of AUX.
      Router and IPAD for X32 Rack
      X32 Rack - Stage
      S16 Digital - Snake Stage
      4X4 analog snake to run to front of stage for front line monitors and vocal mics.
      6 Wedge Mixes
      4 IEM - Shure PSM 300 (mono or stereo) 4 or 8 outs
      2 outputs (Left and Right)
      So I need 16 Outputs on stage
      I don't run subs on a bus - I have a BSS Blu-100 that runs my mains, so I just run L and R out.

I like to set levels on stage with the band, then set monitors after line check.
      This is why I like the gain coming from the X32 via the IPAD.
      Then I go to FOH and set EQ, Gates, Comp, and FOH mix.
      I have been running monitors and FOH many years by myself so I have a process as mentioned above. Most players can adjust their monitor mixes as needed during the show from iPhones etc..
      I provide the drummer an IPAD as well for his mix since most drummers use IEMS.
      I can make adjustments as needed from the iPad or X32 edit via router to the X32 rack from FOH during the show as needed for monitor mix changes.
      Is it possible to do the gain split and still have control of gain while at FOH after setting the stage gains?

With this in mind, I am new to the physical console. I have always just used a X32 Rack and S16 because I have always been a mobile sound guy. I just bought the M32 Live because I am doing a house install in a really nice club.

With this information how would you setup routing so that I can have these busses as stated above and be able to make FOH changes on the channel strip without it affecting IEM mixes?

I am a very seasoned sound engineer, just new to the routing of these boards so I am asking for advise on the best way to set it up and some help setting it within all the routing tabs.
      • April 10, 2021
        Paul_Vannatto Thanks Danny. That looks much better. The only snag I see now is if you have the 4 IEMs in the same rack as the X32 Rack and dedicate the 8 XLR outputs for the stereo feed for those 4 IEMs, that would force you to use the S16 outputs for all wedges and Main LR. If the S16 is to be place beside the drummer (ideal for the inputs), it would make it awkward for the 4 front wedges and Main LR. For that reason I would highly suggest you invest in an SD8 stagebox (8 XLR inputs, 8 XLR outputs, 2 Ultranet) and place it front-center to provide for the 4 front wedges and Main LR.

I also work as a mobile sound guy with my 2 X32 Racks (one as backup), 2 SD8 and 1 SD16 and find that the flexibility of the added stageboxes is worth its weight in gold. It really reduced the cable spaghetti onstage.

I can provide the routing for both scenarios (with X32 Rack/S16 and X32 Rack/S16/SD8) if you so wish.

Regarding the preamp control (gains and phantom), by default, the console closest to the preamps (preamps are an integral part of the XLR jacks) control the preamps and only one console can control the preamps at any one time. Since in your case the X32 is closest to the S16 (connection-wise), if you wish the M32 FOH console to gain control, you would relinquish control on X32 Rack (Setup, preamps, HA Remote, AES50 A or B) to what is connected to the appropriate AES50 port. If you wish a split gain control, you can enable the HA Gain split (Setup, preamps) which will provide all consoles with a digital gain (+-18 db). With that enabled, the console controlling the physical gain would have to do it on the Setup, preamps screen (instead of on the channel strip, config screen).
        • April 11, 2021
        Dberry I need to buy a few more things for the install so an additional stage box is not on the list currently. I have several analog snakes, one is a 4x4, that I run to the front of the stage for the monitors and vocal mics. Since this is an install, and the snake is 50 foot, I can run it under the stage then up under the drum stage for a clean install and just leave it connected to the S16. Same for the Left and Right Out. I also have various other snakes I can put around the stage as needed.

In a perfect world I would have everything digital but its not all cheap. Since I am eventually wanting to get a Midas DL32 for the better pre-amps, I would rather save up to buy that then the SD8, but I would still have to run analog snakes to various locations on the stage. Just he nature of the beast I guess.

I am still not understanding the gain split so for now let keep the gains on the X32 Rack since I set gain on stage with an Ipad then set monitor mixes with the band. I can always use the ipad or M32 edit at the sound booth to make adjustments as needed. Once gain is set, I don't normally make changes because it affects the monitors as well.

If you can send me the routing for the Midas M32, X32 and S32 setup that would be great.

The only other thing I can think of is if I could run the talkback to an AUX then somehow feed it to the X32 rack as a talkback into the monitors to talk to the performers as needed from front of house, that would be optimal. I am sure this can be done in routing but as I say, I don't understand the routing as well as mixing and running a stage.
        • April 11, 2021
    • Dberry
      Dberry I am not set on having a separate monitor mix to deal with but I need the busses because I like to run compression on the sub groups as well as the channels so I can go with light compression on the channels and more aggressive sub compression on the sub mixes. Then I can use DCA's running 1-32 to one DCA and the sub mixes to another DCA. This allows me to change the DCA mix as need to give more dynamics on softer songs then more compression on heavy songs. I use DCA for solo instruments such as turning up guitar solos or lead vocals and effects so I can work on one set of faders, but again this comes from always running an IPAD and wanting to sit on the DCA page once a good mix is set. Im sure I will change my thinking once I start using a physical board. I just don't see enough busses just using the M32 since I have added IEM units for the bands to use in this new club. I looks like i need 16 busses FOH and 14 for stage mixes.
      • April 10, 2021
    • Dberry
      KevinMaxwell Do you already have the M32 and the X32 rack and the S16? If not I would do it differently. It seems like a waste to use a Behringer stage box and have the Midas pre-amps going to waste in the M32.
      • April 11, 2021
        Dberry I already had the X32 and S16. I bought the M32 because of its better build and warranty/. I understand that the preamps are better but again, I have what I have. I will have to live with the X32 pre-amps until I have the money to buy a Midas DL32 stage box.
        • April 11, 2021
        KevinMaxwell I understand so I won’t write up my suggestions then.

But I will make a different suggestion and I am not sure if you have spare inputs to makes this work. I did this with a setup with an X32 in the broadcast control room and an X32Rack behind stage for the IEM mix and at FOH is an Avid console. I had a bunch of analog lines not being used so I took the Monitor outputs (balanced ¼” TRS) on the X32Rack and feed that back to the Avid console. Those inputs on the Avid aren’t routed to go anywhere but to enable you to solo (on the Avid) so you can listed to what you solo on the X32Rack controlling that function with a computer or a tablet. This enables you to listen to (solo) the MixBus sends on the X32 rack so if one of the musicians needs help with their mix you can hear what their mix is and help them out.

This might be able to be routed on the X32Rack by using ¼” TRS to XLR cables from the monitor outputs to a couple of spare channel inputs or maybe even to a couple of aux inputs. You just need to be sure to mute the MixBus sends to avoid someone sending that monitor signal to somewhere it shouldn’t be.

To anyone else following along unless you really know what you are doing don’t do this because you could wind up with a nasty loop.
        • April 11, 2021
  • DavidStackhouse
    Contributor - Level 2
    2020-08-22

Hello... I had heard/read that connection from the M Air app to the MR-18 via external router is more reliable than via its internal router, so I bought an external router - a Linksys EA8300.

First, just to be thorough, I tested it conventionally with my Xfinity internet router, found that the Linksys router functions as intended, and updated its firmware. Then I plugged it into the ethernet jack on the MR-18 and set its Remote switch to Ethernet.

I set my Android device to connect to the Linksys router wifi, which it does, and says "Connected, no internet" (which makes sense).

I open the M Air app, and the connection window appears. Strangely, in the lower left it says...
    "Wifi connected to <unknown ssid>
    1.0.3"
    Then, whether I touch Search or Connect, either way the window that appears says...
    "Searching...
    Wifi connected to <unknown ssid>"
    ...but never connects.

I've tinkered with the IP address, and also with the Wifi lock, but still with no success.

One thing of note: Apparently, both the MR18 and the Linksys router assign themselves by default the IP address 192.168.1.1. I don't know if that's the issue, but I don't know how to change that for one or the other.

Bottom line... can anyone help me get this external router working right? If not, do I really even need it? So far the MR-18's internal router has worked just fine. Thanks for your help.

read more...
    0 1,142
    • DavidStackhouse
      GaryHiggins You need to make your XR18 settings for the ethernet (or wifi) while you are still actually connected via the built in router. Once saved you can then put the switch in the ethernet position and connect via the direct connection. Settings otherwise do not get saved.
      • August 22, 2020
      • M Air app not connecting to MR-18 via external router
        DavidStackhouse Thanks for replying, Gary.... and what exactly would this settings be, and in what screens? Thanks much...
        • August 22, 2020
      • M Air app not connecting to MR-18 via external router
        GaryHiggins Setup/network pages in M-Air
        • ·
        • August 22, 2020
    • DavidStackhouse
      GaryHiggins I might try a static ip, try something like 192.168.1.18 for ip, use 255.255.255.0 for mask and use the router ip for gateway 192.168.1.1 or leave gateway blank. There are other options if that’s a no go. Maybe dhcp next.
      • August 22, 2020
    • DavidStackhouse
      john0121 Hi David, You can find the detailed steps of connecting with an external router in the following FAQ:

https://musictribecommunity.powerappsportals.com/en-us/knowledgebase/article/6886
      • August 24, 2020
    • DavidStackhouse
      DavidStackhouse Thanks, Gary and John... I'll give it a try!
      • August 24, 2020
    • DavidStackhouse
      DavidStackhouse Gary and John, I finally got around to trying your suggestions, but still have no connection via this router.

I know the router works, because I tested it with our home network before trying to use it with the MR-18.

I connected the same cable as I used during that test from the Ethernet port on the MR-18 to the Internet port on the external router. The remote switch on the MR-18 is set to the left for Ethernet.

I have named the external router network "StackLinksys". The attached picture is of the screen of my Android tablet, showing I am successfully connected to the external router via wifi. (Available networks listed are obviously other networks in range, like my home network and my next door neighbors.)

But, having tried all the methods you suggested, the M Air app still does not see the MR-18 via the external router and thus cannot connect as such. If I switch the MR-18 to Access Point, my tablet sees and connects to it just fine without the help of the external router, just as it always has.

Have you any more thoughts and suggestions on how to get this external router working?

But really, what's the point? What am I gaining by getting this external router working, other than putting another piece of equipment into the signal chain that could potentially fail when I need it most?

Thanks again for all your help. Quite frustrated...   - DS.
      • August 29, 2020
  • New
    DavidAubin
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2020-11-06

Started live streaming our church service a couple of months back and I am not satisfied with the audio over the stream, it's clear, but harsh.  We are still doing our in house service as well.  I have the mix where i want in the house and all I am doing is sending the channels I want for the stream to matrix, before EQ, assigned to a different output.  Some of the lower channels I send to bus then to the matrix to boost that channel.  Micing the room is not an option as it's not an ideal venue(but what is?).  What I have been told is that there is software that can be added with some premixed effects and EQ that i can send from the direct out to one of the aux buses for live streaming.  Is this something from Midas/Behringer or a third party thing? 

read more...
    0 1,002
    • DavidAubin
      DavidKnighton Hello David Aubin,
      Whatever this added software is would be third party/external. There's no additional software that can be mounted to the operating system of the M32 console. What I can tell you about live stream mix is that most of the time, venues will dedicate a mixer for the venue, and another mixer for the live stream. The reason for this is because as a FOH operator, the inputs are EQ'd to sound good in the room, not through a laptop, phone, or tablet. This is likely why the mix sounds harsh on your live stream. What I would suggest is send all the inputs RAW out of the console to either another console, or to a computer, then mix it to where it sounds good coming out of a laptop or smart phone. Mixing on a pair of reference monitors may get you close, but the real deal here is that laptop speakers and phone speakers are super small and tinny, so you're better off referencing your mix directly off the live stream so you can make real time changes.
      • November 6, 2020
    • DavidAubin
      DavidAubin I know why it sounds harsh, we are a portable site and don't have the room for another mixer. I was going to try mixing it raw on a computer but seeing if there was something else available. Thanks
      • November 6, 2020
      • Midas M32 room mixing and live stream mixing
        DavidKnighton Hello David,
        Have you considered maybe an X32 Rack or M32C? Both units are relatively compact, and you can do most of your mixing from an iPad or laptops. It would be simple enough to daisy chain the main console to a 2nd unit and then you have all the creative processing in your hands for your live mix.
        • November 6, 2020
        DavidAubin Looking into it actually. Just need the budget.
        • November 6, 2020
    • DavidAubin
      KevinMaxwell How many inputs are you presently using on the M32? Do you have any idea if it is particular channels that sound “harsh” to you? Are you sure that you aren’t clipping the signal somewhere in the feed to the live stream. They are very susceptible to being over driven. See below how we dealt with that.

One church I helped set up their X32 for live streaming we took each channel post fader to a Mix Bus (7) and if you needed more or less of that in the live stream they would adjust to taste. This included the vocal reverb that was used for the house mix. They could also send channels to Mix Bus 7 without sending it to the L/R for the house feed. And don’t forget that you have the parametric EQ on the Mix Bus available for shaping the sound.

The way that the system is setup for live helps because the system is tuned for linearity (what go’s in is what comes out) and then vocal mics go thru a Mix Bus before going to the house mix outputs and that Mix Bus is EQed for gain before feedback. This leaves all channel EQs available to deal with making it sound that way you want that mic to sound not having to deal with and feedback issues on the channels. That gives a smoother sound that then translates to a post fader Mix Bus send working for live streaming.

I used the compressor on Mix Bus 7 at about a 7:1 ratio and set the threshold so it was always doing a little something. This was then routed to Matrix 5/6 and the matrix compressor was set to limiting (brick wall limiting) and was set while watching a test live stream and was set to be just under clipping. This was to keep the signal clean and as loud as we could get it but keep it from clipping. Keep in mind that the dynamic range of live sound is not going to work for any kind of broadcasting feed.

It might help you to get the sound you are looking for if you were to insert a Stereo Combinator from the effects rack (FX1-4 can be set to the Combinator) and play with the settings to get the sound you want.

And although it might drive you a little bit craze because of the extreme delay you could have one person with a tablet (hooked up to control the live stream Mix Bus on the M32 over WiFi) mixing the Mix Bus feed while watching and listening to the live stream in another room. I say drive you crazy because any change you make on the Mix Bus you wouldn’t hear right away because of the time it takes for the live stream to reach the person watching and trying to mix it. When we were testing this setup it was around 26 seconds.

I hope this is of some help to you.
      • November 6, 2020
        DavidAubin Thank you for the reply. This is actually what I am currently doing. Everything is a compromise in this manner and I will never be satisfied with it.
        • November 6, 2020
        KevinMaxwell How many inputs are you presently using on the M32?
        • November 7, 2020
  • New
    lp11
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2021-06-14

I am attempting to record a speaker via thumb drive through the M32, but I am having trouble with recording the whole session. I learned I didn't have the usb formatted to FAT, so I took care of that and the problem was solved short-term, but it started doing the same thing as before. At some point during the speaker's sessions, the system will just stop recording on its own and when I look at the file, it says there is no data on it and it was created December 31st, 1969 at 7pm. I have over 100 free gigs on the usb, so storage isn't an issue and I'm hesitant to say the issue is the size of the recording since the time it shuts off varies and I have the usb properly formatted. 

Any ideas and help would be greatly appredciated. 

Thank you!

read more...
    0 916
    • lp11
      Paul_Vannatto The date/time issue of the file is because the date/time on the M32 is not set. The best way to do that is by using the M32-Edit. Go to Setup, Mixer, bottom right corner - press Sync Mixer button. If the M32 doesn't keep the time, select the OnConnect checkbox.

If you have 100+Gb free on the USB stick, it means that you are using a 128Gb or bigger. I would suggest using a 32Gb or smaller formatted to FAT32 (since that size is the official max size). With a 32Gb USB stick, you should have room for about 40 hours of recording time available.
      • June 14, 2021
    • lp11
      DavidKnighton Hello Ip11,
      Check the time/date on the mixer to start. Generally speaking, if the recording shows anything but the actual time/date, then there may be a problem with the system battery. As for recordings, I would forego a large thumb drive in place of a smaller one. 32GB should be more than sufficient for any recording. The FAT32 format will store files up to 2GB (roughly 2 hours of record time) before creating a new file automatically. I would suggest that whatever thumb drive you're using is probably not up to the task. I recommend using the Patriot Supersonic XT 32GB thumb drive. I've tested these in many scenarios, and have recorded upwards of 30 hours overnight without issue.
      • June 14, 2021
  • New
    TomCosaert
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2020-11-18

Hey! I have a Midas MR18 digital mixer (similar to the Behringer XR18) and want to connect from its (balanced XLR, mono) AUX outputs to the (unbalanced TRS, stereo) AUX inputs of a Behringer HA6000 headphone amplifier.

Depending on the number of participants (mix-minus feeds for each), I would like to support the following two scenarios:

1. stereo (L/R) headphone monitoring up to 4 people (Midas MR18 limit)
    2. mono (R+R) headphone monitoring up to 6 people (Behringer HA6000 limit)

To be sure not to damage anything, I'd rather not start experimenting with different cables. Therefore, I have two questions (and a follow-up question, depending on the answer of the 2nd question):

Question 1: Would a 2x XLR female to TRS male cable (wired as illustrated below) work for stereo (L/R) headphone monitoring (scenario 1), connecting (paired) MR18 AUX outputs to single AUX inputs of the HA6000?

This would accomodate 3 headphones (AUX outputs only), or even 4 headphones (if I use the MR18 Main L/R outputs as well), to enjoy stereo monitoring.

Question 2: Would the same cable also work for mono (R+R) headphone monitoring (scenario 2), when simply not connecting one of the XLR ends and pressing the "MONO R" button on the HA6000, or is leaving the ring (or tip) signal of the TRS cable "floating" like this a really bad idea?

This would accomodate 6 headphones to be able to monitor in mono (mirrored).

Question 2b: In case using the same cable for scenario 2 is not recommended (see above, question 2), would an XLR female to TS male cable be advised?

Thanks a lot for any help with this! I've been searching the internet for hours already, but could not find any definitive answers to these questions. It seems not a straightforward thing, wanting to connect the MR18 to a HA6000, or similar device with unbalanced stereo inputs.

Note: I currently also own the Behringer AMP800 (which has balanced inputs and allows the use of regular XLR to TRS cables) but I want more connectivity options. Unfortunately, it seems headphone amps with more balanced inputs are not that common.

read more...
    0 913
    • TomCosaert
      RexBeckett Hi Tom, your cable wiring is correct for dual XLR-F to TRS stereo. This should also work for mono if the HA6000 is switched appropriately.
      • November 18, 2020
      • Midas MR18 AUX Outputs to Behringer HA6000 AUX Inputs
        TomCosaert Thanks for the confirmation. Greatly appreciated!
        • ·
        • November 18, 2020
Go to page