Statistics

289,869 members
172,435 posts
  • New
    vaehaaland
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2021-08-01

Hi!

Recently got our HD96-24 and brought it out for a musical this week.
    88 inputs with wireless mics, orchestra and band.
    Show file with 70+ scenes
    All of this connected through a DL251 and two DL153 on stage.

It's a wonderful and powerful mixer, and we do really love working on it. But several problems have made the production difficult. Surface randomly crashing and rebooting, but still putting sound out.
    Show file that randomly cannot be loaded unless you reboot the whole thing.

Have been in contact with Midas and our "local" distributor, but haven't been able to figure a solution out yet.
    We are running the newest console firmware, 1.16.0 and the newest surface update 0.9.11. Plus our stageboxes are updated aswell.

We have even brought a new basically unused HD96-24, form a concert hall 4 hours away. And the problems seem to carry over. Starting to wonder if it can't handle a show of this size, but that wouldn't make any sense..

In the middle of producing a musical with premiere a few days away, this isn't what we had hoped for.

read more...
    0 177
    • vaehaaland
      KevinMaxwell Was the show file written and then the console firmware updated? I don’t know anything about this mixer so I am just making suggestions from experience with other mixers. Can you find any consistency as to where and when it starts to act up? Did you update the borrowed mixer or was it already on the same firmware?

Just the other day I was having problems with communication with a mixer that I just took it out of the box it came in, it was brand new. I turned it on and looked to see what firmware it had in it and then immediately updated to the latest firmware and I tried to set it up with a commuter communicating with it and it wasn’t communicating at all. And I have a lot of experience with this setup and know how to setup the IP addresses in the console and computer. After about an hour of trying everything I could think of I did a factory reset. And it started communicating with the computer. I had remembered someone saying to always do a factory reset after updating the firmware. The factory reset didn’t revert to an older firmware on this mixer.

Some mixers will change everything when doing a factory reset some will only change some things. So be sure to back up everything that you can and write down all of your settings. Have you tried to revert to a previous firmware? And do you have all of your scene settings written down.

After backing everything up I would try a factory preset and then try loading the show file again. Can you copy the show file and break it up into smaller (fewer scenes) show files and see if it only crashes in a certain section of the show file. Divide and conquer.

Worst case scenario after a factory reset can you rewrite the show from the beginning and pause about every 10 scenes and step thru the cues and see if there is a point where it no longer works correctly. Or if you are doing anything really out of the ordinary in a scene or 2 try to simplify those scenes and see if it then works ok. This is assuming that you may have found a bug in the software and if you can find the combination that causes the crash maybe you can avoid it and at least get thru the show.

Is there a file that the console saves that will show where the problem is? I hope you can talk to someone at Midas and send them any files that they would need (including your show file) to test this on a mixer at their facilities.
      • August 1, 2021
    • vaehaaland
      babyfood I had that problem in the beginning before all the new updates. I was using the redundant on the DL251 later i was told by Midas there’s no redundant assign on the HD96. After I stopped using the redundant and did the updates it hasn’t crashed on me again.
      • Mar 2
  • New
    joshmooresound
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2021-07-07

Feature Request: To be able to have 2 (or more) Mackie Control protocol control surfaces to control M32-Edit/X32-Edit.

I have a Waves FIT contoller, which has 16+1 faders. I can control the M32C via OsiMIDI, as I can add more than one contoller at a time (the Waves FIT uses a lot 8 and 8+1 fader configuration for Mackie Control). It'd be great if I could use the controller to fully integrate with the Edit software.

I can also see that this would be of use to connect 2 seperate controllers together.

The Waves FIT controller would be a fantastic way to control the M32C, and I could quite see that it'd be a good competitor setup to the Waves LV1.

read more...
    0 175
  • New
    Midas76
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2021-05-25

Hello, I am looking for the part number for bus send encoders for the Midas M32. Something got dropped on the encoder knobs and I would like to get a replacement. They still work but when turned they spin funky.  If I need to replace the whole section that would be great too. Can anyone tell me if these are available and price? Thank you

read more...
    0 174
    • Midas76
      WilliamR Hello, William from musictribe here. If you could click on the support link above and open a parts ticket, someone can get the process started for you asap.
      • May 26, 2021
  • New
    dgstudio
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2021-03-22

Hey guys,

I'm using my MR18 as an audio interface paired with Pro Tools. In Pro Tools, when using hardware inserts in the mixer, it apparently is required to match the number of the output / send channel with the number of the input / return channel. Is this in any way possible with the MR18?

I have now sent the output of one track to channel 9 of the MR18, which is set to "USB input", this channel then sends a signal to Aux 1 which goes to the hardware and the output of the hardware is connected to channel 8 of the MR18, which I then record in Pro Tools. The downside of this, is that I cannot use the insert i/o functionality in Pro Tools which can be really handy if you're also using plug-ins on the channel.

Is there any option deep in the MR18 that can be used to make Pro Tools think that the return signal is also coming from channel 9?

Thanks!

read more...
    0 173
    • dgstudio
      Paul_Vannatto Using M-Air Edit, make sure the the assignments in In/Out USB Returns and USB Sends screens are one-to-one correlated (eg. Chan 1 -> Input 1, Chan 2 -> Input 2, etc.). Then they should line up in the DAW.
      • March 22, 2021
  • New
    evancgrimes
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2020-11-11

So I'm looking to upgrade the firmware on my ProX, DL231 and Neutron, but I have Dante cards and DN9650 linked up. If I were to upgrade the firmware would there be complications with Dante like a firmware mismatch. My concern is that my board would be out till Dante or Klark Teknik matched their firmwares with Midas. Sorry if this seems like a dumb question but I've had issues like this arise with Dante before and I'd rather avoid these problems in the future. 

read more...
    0 172
    • evancgrimes
      DavidKnighton Hello Evan Grimes,
      When it comes to the ProX, Dante card, and 9650, each have different firmware releases. They do not need to be matched in order to work together. The biggest concern would be to ensure the Pro X and Neutron firmware are matched, as well as any stage boxes, as they are form the bulk of the system. The Dante card and 9650 are subsystems which are more or less 1 trick ponies, so there's never a need to release updates to them. I.e. if it ain't broken, don't fix it. Rest assured, you can update the console, dsp, and stageboxes and still maintain functionality with the Dante cards and 9650. We've been on firmware 3.4.6 for quite a while now and no reports of issues with Dante and 9650 that I can speak of.
      • November 11, 2020
      • upgrading firmware on a ProX with Dante integration
        evancgrimes Thanks so much!
        • November 11, 2020
  • New
    nnw522
    Newcomer - Level 1
    2021-01-31

This is my setup for our church, Crossroads Church in Victor, Montana

2 169
    • nnw522
      GaryHiggins Nice! Welcome aboard!
      • January 31, 2021
      • I'm excited to become a new member!
        nnw522 Thank you
        • January 31, 2021
    • nnw522
      KevinMaxwell Is that M32edit stretched out over the 2 monitors? Now do you see over them to see the stage? Are you in a balcony tech area with no congregation seating behind you? And is that an EV635 plugged into the Talkback XLR?
      • January 31, 2021
        nnw522 Yes it stretched across both monitors. I'm planning on dropping the monitors down, as the stand for them is adjustable. I'm also planning on experimenting with dual touch screens at some point. Yes a balcony tech area with stage media, streaming station, and of course the audio desk. As for the mic you are correct. I need to get a proper boom mic for it at some point, but for now it works.
        • January 31, 2021
        GaryHiggins You might at some point perhaps consider:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E06JSI4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A19F97KYDWNFQQ&psc=1

These are very nice, the touch screens work perfectly, "Helium" stand lets them fold to almost flat if you like...or nearly straight up. I have 2 and am very happy with them...and not too hard on the wallet.
        • January 31, 2021
    • nnw522
      MarkNorgren Welcome! Two words, "Mixing Station." A great low cost app, MHO. Have fun and enjoy!
      • February 1, 2021
  • Blinky
    Contributor - Level 1
    2020-08-18

Hi All,

On a Midas Pro2, we have drums coming in over six channels, and grouped into a VCA for FoH mixing.

The desk does double duty for monitors too.  The musicians use MixTender2 on iPads to manage their IEM mixes.

I would like to have a pop group set up for them with all the channels they need, but can't work out a simple way to create a drum mix and let them adjust its volume with a single fader from within the pop group.  Any ideas?

MCAs are no help as I can't assign an MCA fader to a pop group as far as I can tell.

The only workaround I can think of is to create a send with the drum mix, and hard patch it with a cable back into an input, and add that to the IEM pop group.

Is there a better solution?  How would you acomplish this use case?

read more...
    0 167
    • Blinky
      DanielPaine Hi Blinky, I have a couple of suggestions. Firstly, when an aux (flip) is selected on mixtender, the entire VCA section turns into MCA's. In theory, not only could you group things like drums etc, but all 8 VCA faders could be used for independent control of selected vca groupings like bass guitar keys vox - All specific to the selected Aux only. I would leave the vca page open as standard on the iPad for each musician. If they feel the need to tweak further, they can select the vca and it will unfold just like a pop group

One other possible suggestion is 'collapsed flip' found in preferences. Please bear with me with this as it may not work on mixtender. I unfortunately do not have a console present at home to set, so this may not apply on the app. With this engaged, the idea is that when in flip mode, only Auxes that are turned on are revealed. Any aux send that is switched off is hidden. this means that a concise channel list of used channels is the only thing visible. i.e. if an Aux just has Kick Bass and vox, on the console when you flip to that aux, only those channels are shown. I was hoping this would translate to the mix tender amp!! I'll ask my colleagues to verify. Maybe someone else can confirm.

Other outside the box thinking ideas , if you want to group channels for monitors is to bump the chain down. so, use the matrix as a monitor send to the artist. that way you can do channel direct to matrix or a group of drums to matrix. this group CAN be assigned in a pop. Downside is you'll use up Aux/groups very quickly if people want different level settings. MCA therefor would be the way to go. Hop this helps
      • August 18, 2020
      • Midas Pro2 HowTo: drum mix as single fader in pop group
        Blinky Thankyou for your ideas. I appreciate you taking to time to respond. My thoughts in response to your suggestions:

1. Many VCAs are being used for non band FoH requirements, so unfortunately can't monopolise them. Additionally, each instrument needs to be listed individually, as the ability for each musician to adjust their own instrument/VOX in relation to the band is paramount.

2. "Collapsed flip" won't really give me anything that I can't set up with a standard pop group that I can see, and also doesn't solve my issue of a single drum fader. I think I have a clear understanding of how collapsed flip works, but may have missunderstood what you're saying.

3. I had considered using a matrix just for a drum mix, as I can assign a matrix to a pop group, but just seemed like a sledgehamer solution.

On another note, do you know if I can soft patch an aux send to an input, or does it need to be via a physical cable?
        • August 18, 2020
      • Midas Pro2 HowTo: drum mix as single fader in pop group
        DanielPaine Hi Blinky. Fair enough! it's hard having 1 layout to suit all.

You are correct in that you can achieve in pops what you can in C-Flip. It's just more dynamic, meaning if you add or take away channel, it doesn't have to be replicated/updated in the pop group.I'm not convinced it works on mixtender yet. If it does, may free up pops for other things.

RE: Matrix - it would be the drum group(aux) that would be assigned to pop. not the matrix. And that group need not have anything to do with foh. Agreed, it's a messy solution though.

RE: Softpatch... absolutely! yes you can keep in the digital realm. but this is kind of what of I was describing with using Matrix above.

I'll pass on the suggestion of 'vca/mca to pop' to the r&d team. I think that's a useful idea.
        • August 19, 2020
  • WDuester
    Contributor - Level 3
    2020-07-13
    I want to create a snippet that just saves mute group settings and it doesn't seem like that is possible. I don't want to select individual channels because the MUTE settings, although changed by the snippet, don't update the mute group status. This is very annoying because I want to set up a snippet to change my sub woofer send level, change my multiband compressor threshold and change the status of two mute groups. The sub woofer send level and multiband compressor threshold is easy enough to get it to work but where are the mute group statuses recorded in a snippet?
    read more...
    0 167
    • WDuester
      RexBeckett The OSC command for Mute Group status is /config/mute/n state where n is the group (1..6) and state is ON or OFF. ON means that the group is muted. e.g.

/config/mute/1 ON
      /config/mute/6 OFF
      • July 13, 2020
    • WDuester
      WDuester Thanks Rex. I was more interested as to which of the snippet selection prameters the mute group status lives under. Here is a screen shot from m32 edit.
      • July 13, 2020
      • Midas M32 - Where are the mute group settings 'stored' in a snippet?
        Paul_Vannatto Actually they are selected using the Groups Param. Filter. But that also includes the DCAs as well. If you need just mute groups, you will need to edit the snippet file (exported) with a text editor (as Rex suggested) to remove the unwanted DCA's, then import that modifed scene file back into the snippet list. The advantage of using Scene Parser is that a scene can be exported to a file, loaded into Scene Parser, parsed with desired filters, then fine tuned in the Results editor to make the snippet do exactly what you want, no more, no less.
        • ·
        • July 13, 2020
        WDuester Thanks Paul. When I tried using the Groups Param Filter in the snippet, the mute groups did not respond at all. I will explore editing the snippet file in a text editor.
        • July 13, 2020
    • WDuester
      RexBeckett I have never found a combination of Snippet filters that captures the Mute Group status. I just add the OSC commands to Snippets using a text editor. Alternatively, you could use Paul Vannatto's X32 Scene Parser to build Snippets from Scenes. See: https://sourceforge.net/projects/x32sceneparser/ The problem with this approach is that the Mute Group status in Scene files is a block command for all six groups rather than a command for each one.
      • July 13, 2020
        WDuester Just out of curiosity, what other software tools do you guys use to help automate things on the m32 or m32 edit? I find that the platform is lacking in the ability to create macro's to help automate things. I've experimented with xfade (for automating fade outs and fade in of channels) but I haven't found anything that can tie all the 'needs' together: Needs being -smooth fade in/fade out, mute group activation/deactivation, fader position on certain channels, start recording, stop recording etc .... The m32 is a nice piece of kit but is still lacking for automated show control.
        • July 13, 2020
        RexBeckett Take a look at some of Patrick Maillot's X32 tools here: https://sites.google.com/site/patrickmaillot/x32 Paul also has created several excellent tools. See: https://sourceforge.net/u/pvannatto/profile/
        • July 13, 2020
        Paul_Vannatto Hi Waldy, as Rex mentioned Patrick has lots of various tools that he has developed for the X32/M32 consoles. He also wrote the X32 OSC Protocol document that has become the developers OSC bible. One thing to note is that the OSC protocol (mother tongue of the X32/M32) uses absolute values and is not time related. Therefore scenes and snippets are point-in-time absolute settings of the console. I developed Live Toolbox to enhance the capabilities of snippets in a new snippet-like function called tidbits (snippets on steroids). These include time-based commands such as fade, xfade, etc. and relative commands such as increase, decrease, etc.
        • July 13, 2020
        -mjk- I use X32ReaperAutoMate for mixing with full automation. It's Patrick's latest creation. https://x32ram.com/
        • July 14, 2020
    • WDuester
      WDuester Thanks Rex and Paul. I have not explored editing snippet files in a text editor.
      • July 13, 2020
  • DaveMorrison
    Rock Star - Level 2
    2020-09-14

Can we just upload .SCN files randomly or do we need to start a new post to upload a file?

I tried to post from the "Files" area. FAIL —Wouldn't let me fill in the required catagory boxes.

I like the text editor when we start a new post. Why can't we have it when we reply? And why can't we reply with an upload? Sorry to complain again, but it's vital to upload X/M32 and X/M-Air files (in a reply) to help the users of digital mixers. It's been missing for over 3 month now and the number of Digital mixer users has plummeted in that time. Where are they getting help? The hostile Facebook group?

I've attached a (mostly) "Zeroed" .SCN file for test purposes.

View Attachment

read more...
    0 164
    • DaveMorrison
      AlexLane Hi Dave, The files section is basically a deposit for any files uploaded to discussions. Currently you can just upload any file to the main discussion but this will be improved moving forward. In the meantime for comment uploads I would suggest using wetransfer or another upload site.

I have forwarded your comments to the dev team also. Hopefully we can improve the comments section soon!

Thanks!
      • September 15, 2020
    • DaveMorrison
      Alone how to download the software for the behringer dx2000 usb
      • September 19, 2020
      • How is the new "Files" area supposed to work?
        PedroRodrigues Hi Jose,this unit uses a USB Type B and allows a Stereo IN/OUT at 48 Khz sample rate.
        To download the drivers please follow the link below:

http://www.asio4all.org/
        • ·
        • September 21, 2020
  • New
    GaryHiggins
    Superhero - Level 1
    2021-01-26

DP48 POE power supplies and injectors summary 012621

Original MT forum post link

https://community.musictribe.com/discussions/62367/307197/dp48-poe-supplies-and-injectors-update

I tried to simplify everything below (I hope) from the original posts from May/Aug 2020. I also now own a Hub4 (they exist in the USA finally!) but these will still function as intended and can be used with DP48's. A less expensive way to remotely power the DP48's perhaps. The Hub of course has many other features. It was also next to impossible to find my old post which is the biggest reason I'm reposting this here today.

Update Jan 2021 

Device 1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IZAQJG0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For use with inexpensive power/data splitters like:

Device 2

https://www.amazon.com/Passive-Injector-Splitter-Connector-Ethernet/dp/B07F82YK6P

These will work with a DP48 by using the powered device (1) for the power source for the injector. These are VERY handy because they are compact and they plug into any outlet directly. Connect the power out section to the injector device (2) then connect your aes50 data cable to the injector, POE out port from the injector can now power the dp48, data cable from elsewhere (like a mixer aes50 port or second DP48 thru port) provides the data. Adding more DP48's up to Ia fairly high number (guessing 7+ like the P16's but I am not 100% sure of just how many exactly) You would need one of each for each DP48 line.

Link for for some background info on power ranges (and much more).

https://pinoutguide.com/Net/poe_pinout.shtml

Device 3 

https://www.amazon.com/Cudy-POE300-Injector-1000Mbps-Compliant/dp/B07VMCN87B

Works perfectly fine for both power and data, best perhaps for a single or a few DP48's

Device 4 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CAKJRTW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Worth considering IMO for the power supply part ONLY. The price is fair enough just to use for power injector and store the other pieces for another day. The other parts DO NOT work for DP48’s. I originally was going to return it but kept it just for the power supply itself.

***It appears POE SWITCHES do not work AT ALL for passing AES50 data***            (thanks to Rex Beckett for confirming this)

Passive Injectors:

Device 4

https://www.amazon.com/Ethernet-Injector-Combines-PoE-Connector/dp/B00EBCGJVW/ref=dp_prsubs_1?pd_rd_i=B00EBCGJVW&psc=1

It's a small passive device and works perfectly with the correct power supply, (wide ranges supported!) it comes without any power supply but works with the ones mentioned above or similar. These will also work with a 12V power supply and P16M’s

There are several other injector choices out there (and splitters) that supply power using 10/100 (no data on pins 4,5, 7 or 8) which will work for Ultranet (P16) devices ok but NOT DP48's. Important note for P16M: ONLY use a 12V dc power supply for P16 use!!! P16 is in one directional only. The ultranet appears to apply to only pins 1,2,3 and 6 OR it at least does NOT use pin 4,5,7 and 8 for P16 data.

Best POWER adaptor imo:

Device 5

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015NI5UG2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

My injector of choice, 8 port:

Device 6

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077PDRLLL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Summary. You need a power supply that gives at least 48v dc. The Midas Hub sends 52V. I suspect 48-60v is fine. 48v worked for me as did 60,54 and 51v. The injector needs to be Mode B (positive power to pins 4 and 5, negative to pins 7 and 8) and passive. Use the 802.3at spec (capable of providing higher power). For AES50 the injector needs to have all pairs "in" connected to all pairs "out" such that both data AND power are shared on pins 4,5,7 and 8. *AES50 and DP48's need all 4 twisted pairs connected in and out to work properly in both directions.

Thanks also to Josh Gibson (? Indiana) for the following 2 additional choices! Josh had a great post on how he wired these up in his system which I can't locate but I did copy a summary way back when: 

DP48 Poe  (Josh Gibson)

"So what you need to do is put a POE injector before each DP48. We did this by installing a 12 Port POE injector in our system rack behind the stage. Then I ran (2) Cat5E shielded cables to each floor pocket under the stage. So I run from Wing FOH to the POE injector Data port 1, then from POE port 1 out to the DP48 via floor pocket. Then back from the DP48 to POE injector Data port 2, and then just follow that pattern. This allows me to power up (4) DP48's and have just (2) Cat5E cables to each unit. No power supplies at unit, and no output cables. I get my output back from the DP48 to the Wing then route it so the D32 stagebox output, then route that output to my Wireless IEM transmitters for a stereo IEM feed. Its been working great. Total cable length is over 700ft. Longest single length is 205ft from FOH to rack. Then about 65-75 ft to each floor pocket."

Device 7

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PR9CBGL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Device 8

https://www.amazon.com/WS-GPOE-12-48v60w-gigabit-passive-Ethernet-Injector/dp/B00EQBR7M8/ref=pd_ybh_a_104?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=2Y8RPP96FR8WJRH5R6SM

This info is correct to the best of my knowledge, although anyone who chooses to use any of it should do so completely at their own risk. Correctly described and explained or not, the above devices worked or did not work for me as stated.

read more...
    1 161
    • GaryHiggins
      DanielPaine Note to All.

There is no denying it is possible to POE DP48's using 3rd party devices, However ** Please be Warned ** if an incorrect Unit is used, it could possibly damage the DP48 and would likely not be covered by warranty. Therefor, Midas will ONLY recommend the Hub 4 or included Power supply. Using external POE adaptors is used at your own risk.
      • February 16, 2021
Go to page