Statistics

289,922 members
172,496 posts
  • electricfunk73
    Contributor - Level 1
    2019-09-28

I want to use both the VL3x effects and some of my pedalboard effects that the VL3x doesn't have, at the same time. I am using a mic and playing guitar and/or bass through the VL3x and then it is connected to the PA system via the XLR outs L/R. I would like all the effects from both VL3x and my external pedalboard effects to be heard through the PA system, be able to turn on/off external effects as normal. This setup will be for Church worship service through the stereo PA system. For example, I have an EHX C9 that I like to use for organ sounds, played through my guitar during some parts of the service. I have other pedals that give me different instrument sounds like the C9 that I need to use with the VL3x guitar fx (reverb, chorus, delay, etc...). Some of my external effects are stereo outs like my Mimiq doubler for guitar. How do I connect my external pedalboard of which need a stereo out, so that I can use it with the VL3x's internal fx, and still hear everything through the PA system only. There won't be any amplifier or monitor being used, just straight to the PA system. Thanks!

read more...
    0 448
    • electricfunk73
      TCH-Spencer

Hey @electricfunk73,
      So incorporating a pedalboard with a VoiceLive 3 isn't impossible but it's kinda tricky.  One issue is that the VoiceLive is expecting clean guitar input for reliable chord detection, if you send VL3 a distorted guitar you'll find your vocal harmonies will often pick "wrong" notes.  Another obstacle for your setup is that VL3's guitar input is a mono input only, there's no way to get a stereo signal through its guitar path.  These two things make me want to tell you to put your pedalboard after the VoiceLive, you could run the VL3's stereo guitar output into your stereo pedals no problem, but you said you're using the VoiceLive's guitar effects for reverb and delay - obviously you don't want to be sending an echo-y guitar into your C9...

To have your pedalboard before the VoiceLive, there is a way around the chord-detection thing, but you'll probably have to ditch the idea of using stereo effects on your board.  To be able to use your pedalboard first to alter your guitar signal and then send that into the VoiceLive, and still get reliable chord detection for harmonies, you'll need to split your guitar signal at the source.  Use a 6.5mm splitter (like this) plugged into your guitar to split its dry signal, send one copy through your pedalboard which then goes into the VoiceLive's guitar input, and send the other dry signal copy directly into the VoiceLive's auxiliary ("AUX") input.  Now a couple settings:  In the "Setup" menu on the "System" tab set the "Global NaturalPlay Source" to "Aux/Mon", and also in the "Mix" menu on the "Main Mix" tab turn the "Aux" level all the way down to "Off".  With this configuration, your wet guitar (pedalboard into VoiceLive effects) will be audible out the main XLR outputs, and your dry guitar will be acting as a 'silent' guide through the auxiliary path.

The cons are that you won't be able to have stereo effects from your board, and of course the extra cables, but I believe this is best way to utilize your VoiceLive with a pedalboard and still get reliable harmonies.

• October 3, 2019
  • ToniGruber
    Contributor - Level 1
    2019-11-11

Hi there. Is it possible to get a distorted sound by playing an harmonica trough the voicelive3 ? For me it looks like the frequencies of the harmonica don`t work with the effects of the voicelive. Maybe there is a way to fix this - would be a nice feature. Thanks, and musically regards from austria. datoni

read more...
    0 437
    • ToniGruber
      TCH-Spencer

Hey @ToniGruber,
      I do know that our gear usually doesn't respond well to whistling input, playing a harmonica will likely also yield an undesirable result.  Additionally, all our gear is made to expect a monophonic singing voice, with the harmonica being a polyphonic instrument that can really confuse our effects as well.  If you're looking to apply effects to a harmonica, you're probably better off using guitar pedals (which are inherently built to expect a polyphonic input).  Cheers!

• November 13, 2019
    • ToniGruber
      Roland1

Hi 

Try it trough the guitar layer and use the amp effects.
      It works well, but you have to get a good signal, f.ex. with one of the Shure 520DX microphones (or vintage model).

If you don't use VL3 for voice, it's to expensive only for harmonica. Then you better buy a real good harmonica-amp and maybe some stomp pedals. As I play the VL3 with saxophone on stage, sometimes I use it for harmonica, but normally I play the harmonica over a good little amp to create the real distortion "the natural way".

• December 31, 2019
    • ToniGruber
      Toddyboy

I'm not looking for a "bluesy" distorted sound with harmonica or  wooden flute using the Live Play, but rather the ability to create an assortment of effects that can give a different variety of voices or colors to these instruments...not for playing blues at all. I've been using a TC mic mechanic for a few years that performs OK with these instruments on stage in our group, but would like more sound options. I understand the Live Play is made for voice, but do you think it can add effects to these wind instruments without a bunch of additional feedback or noise?  Don't really need the pitch or adaptive features. Thanks - Tod

• January 16, 2020
    • ToniGruber
      Toddyboy

My experience has been that guitar pedals usually pick up sounds and noise from all over the stage when they are adapted for microphone use, which these instruments are played through...

• January 16, 2020
    • ToniGruber
      BigDogDaddyD

Hello ToniGruber,

I fell ya.  I've been in the same boat for years.  The problem I've experienced is that guitar pickups are not as powerful as a microphone.  So using a harmonica and microphone into a guitar pedal often causes violent feedback and loud distorted sounds.  Same with using the guitar 'IN port' on a vocalizer.  I play classic rock, country, bluegrass & folk, blues, and cajun. And sometimes I even play classical.  So I need different sounds and effects for playing diatonic, chromatic, tremelo, or octave.  I also play the keyboard or guitar with my harmonica.  I can't speak for the VoiceLive 3 (the VoiceLive 3 Extreme is on my list when I decide to upgrade), but I have used a VoiceLive Touch 2 for quite awhile now.  And I have to tell you that I get some really impressive effects with a Shure 57 microphone and all my different harps.  I use separate effects pedals between the VoiceLive Touch 2 and the amp or PA if I need something The VoiceLive Touch can't give me.  But I love the reverb, chorus options, octave shifts, etc...  Some of the vocal effects cause the harmonica to sound more like a synthesizer on acid, so not all are good.  But I simply sat down and walked through all the different options one-by-one.  This took several days to do. And it was different with different types and keys of harmonicas.  And when you add all the different guitar effects on top of the harmonica,  I really get some great sounds.  And the looper really makes a difference as well.  I'm hoping one day the major guitar stores will have more demo units set up to experiment with.  I'm really surprised Music Tribe and TC-Helicon don't have demos with harmonica players.  The great Brendan Power uses his harmonicas, VoiceLive Touch, and a separate effects box, on his stage performances.  Part of his act is showing folks how to loop.  Google "Brendan Power looping", or do aYoutube lookup.  He has quite a few videos using his harps with TC Helicon equipment.  Hope this helps.  Take care and good luck with your journey. 

• January 17, 2020
  • TomHigginsom
    Contributor - Level 1
    2019-06-28

Hi,

Anyone has a good advice?
    I bougth this unit a year ago, and now when I am IMG_20190628_150208.jpgswitching on, it turns off and on again, then shows the window message as on the pic.

What should I do?

IMG_20190628_150208.jpg
    read more...
    0 420
    • TomHigginsom
      TCH-Spencer

Hey @TomHigginsom,
      Please get in contact with our support team, they'll be able to troubleshoot with you and discuss repairs if necessary.  Good luck!

• June 28, 2019
    • TomHigginsom
      lana22

Chuck the device and find a different f/x processor from a different company.

It appears there is no fix for this and Music Tribe has scrubbed all the old forum posts about it.

From my experience with my VoiceTouch 2, this blue/white screen issue is a random occurance. For me, it self-resolved, and now it's happened again and I can't fix it. 

• July 8, 2019
    • TomHigginsom
      DennisDubeau

A very lucky guess is that it looks like a contrast misadjustment... If the unit is out of warranty and if it was very impractical to have it serviced by a certified TC Helicon tech.. Before using the unit as a paper weight, I'd open the unit and try to locate a small potentiometer very close to the display.. I'd turn it a very slight bit, power up carefully and see if anything improves at all...

Good luck.

PS: I am a tech myself but in no way connected to TC Helicon other than owning a unit myself. No issues so far.

• August 1, 2019
    • TomHigginsom
      PureWinter

Hi Tom,

I have been gigging with VL3x for about 3 years now and this has happened to me twice. It's probably that the SD card become unseated. Fortunatly during rehersal or sound check. So the show went on. 

If you unit is out of warrenty and you are somewhat of a handy person there are many video's online that can show you how to fix it. 

video link of many.  blob:https://www.youtube.com/71fe5c17-c850-4251-a5ed-1e2b70a3d62a

I have done it twice. I love my unit but this seems to be a common problem that TC Helicon should be addressing when if they ever update the unit. I hope they do because I'd love them to add midi mix control and more I.O. options. Non the less it has been working great for me so far.

Good luck.

• August 1, 2019
  • vavaenvivo
    Contributor - Level 1
    2019-06-02

Hi All,

I have a VoiceLive 3 Extreme adn I've been trying to import backing tracks for a few hours now. I save the tracks as .wav files, made them 24bit at 48000, but when I try to import the track into the VL3X, only the USB drive is reognized and NOT the files. The files don't even show up. What am I doing wrong here? I have a gig in two weeks and really need to make sure the unit works and the set is fluid!

Many Thanks!

read more...
    0 412
    • vavaenvivo
      TCH-Spencer

Hey @vavaenvivo,
      Backing tracks on your USB drive should live on the root of the drive, as in not in any folders.  Loops however should be in a "VL3_Loops" folder, and recordings direct to the drive will end up in a "VL3_Recordings" folder.  So hopefully your backing tracks are on the root of your flash drive.
      Also, "The internal audio file format of VL3X for Backing Tracks is 16 bit resolution and 48 kHz sampling rate" (from page 75 of the manual).  The VoiceLive should do the conversion from your 24 bit to its internal 16 bit, but if you have the ability to export your tracks at 16 bits that might be better.
      There's also the issue that some USB thumb drives just straight up don't work with the VoiceLive 3.  If possible, please try using a different drive.

• June 6, 2019
    • vavaenvivo
      jdp083

I'm actually having the same issue. I've exported a track from my DAW as wav 16 bit and 48kHz and put it on two different flash drives, plug the drives into VL3X and go to track import and there's nothing there. Did a factory reset and reinstalled newest update and it didn't help.

• December 19, 2021
  • JohnShelley
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-06-05

I don't understand why this is not an easy answer to find.  I just hit "Backup All" in VoiceSupport2 which is hooked up to my VL3x... Where does the backup file go????

0 410
    • JohnShelley
      TCH-Spencer

Hey @JohnShelley,
      In VoiceSupport 2 you'll find created backups in the "Presets" tab under "Backups" on the left.backups.png

You can also use the "Import" and "Export" buttons in the top-right to manage backups.

These backups also exist as pairs of files on your computer.  On a Windows machine they live in "C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Roaming\TC-Helicon\VoiceSupport 2\VoiceLive Play GTX\data" and each backup is a pair of files - a ".tch" file and a ".xml" file together create a backup.  The files are pretty useless outside of VoiceSupport 2, but nevertheless that's where they are.  Cheers!

• June 20, 2019
  • Santhos31
    Contributor - Level 1
    2019-10-20

Hello,

I can't find the voiceworks plus editor on the internet, even the old one. Can anyone help me?

1 401
    • Santhos31
      TCH-Spencer

Hey @Santhos31,
      Do you mean this?

• October 24, 2019
    • Santhos31
      frangomat

Hello @Santhos31 

Have you been successfull finding Vysor Editor for Voiceworks Plus yet?

It must have been available for free a while ago: 

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/vyzor_editors_for_tc_helicon_by_tc_helicon

I really don't want to spend $159 on Midi Quest Essentials If this single program used to be freeware.

Regards,

Frank

• November 1, 2019
    • Santhos31
      arlopete1

Santhos31:

I just came across your post while doing a desperate search for a firmware update for my Voiceworks Plus Harmonizer unit. I was just able to find the original editing program that you may have been looking for so maybe there is a way that I can get it to you. I will attach a couple of screen shots of what it looks like on my Mac.  Also, if you have a Voiceworks Plus you might have one of the updates that I am looking for. My unit (which is virtually new and unused in the original box) still has the original firmware version of 1.01. I have not been able to find version 1.21 which I think is the last available update but perhaps you have it. Please let me know. I look forward to your reply!

Pete

Screenshot 2020-02-20 07.01.17.pngScreenshot 2020-02-20 07.02.01.png

Screenshot 2020-02-20 07.02.01.png
      • February 19, 2020
  • TacoZwart
    Contributor - Level 3
    2019-11-01

Hi everybody, Sorry to bug you but I don't know who to contact anymore. I have an issue with my Harmony Singer 2. I have found some people who have similar issues, but apparently nobody got a satisfactory answer/solution. I tried to open a support ticket since a week, but it never works (it simply hangs). My dealer from where I purchased my unit in Geneva Switzerland, never gets any answer for anything regarding TC Helicon . . . So you guys are my last hope. Any suggestion of what and how to do ? Thanks, TAco

read more...
    0 389
    • TacoZwart
      TC-Mike

Hi Taco,

sorry to hear about the issue.

Can you PM me  the data you fill into the support form, so i can escalate this to our care team. 

Do you get any error messages when trying to submit your support request? 

Spencer from TC helicon is very active in the community and since you posted in the TC helicon brand tribe, he will answer you

Best regards,

Mike

• October 31, 2019
    • TacoZwart
      TCH-Spencer

Hey @TacoZwart,
      Yes indeed I do remember there being issues with the Harmony Singer 2 pedal a couple years ago.  The problem was that the Harmony Singer 2 would randomly start to distort its output making the user sound boomy and robotic and just... broken.  We were fortunately able to fix the issue with a firmware update after enlisting the help of the Community to track down the bug.

If you install our free VoiceSupport 2 application and connect your Harmony Singer 2 pedal via USB, you'll be prompted to update the firmware on your pedal.  With that update, the noise/distortion issue should be solved for you.  Good luck!

• November 4, 2019
    • TacoZwart
      TacoZwart

Thank you very much Spencer,

I'll try the Firmware Update option tonight and keep you posted.

Taco

• November 4, 2019
    • TacoZwart
      TacoZwart

Hi @TCH-Spencer and Hi @TC-Mike,

Thank you very much for all your help. I managed to do the required FW update on my Harmony Singer 2, and will be trying it over the next weeks hoping there won't be any further issues.

A bit tricky to post my support ticket, but finally a great support !

Taco

• November 5, 2019
  • Adventurer
    Contributor - Level 3
    2020-03-01

I have a switch-3 footpedal connected to my voicelive 3 footpedal jack and only button 2 of the Switch 3 (center button) works. Buttons 1 & 3 do nothing. I am using a TRS plug that came with the Switch-3. I have run through the setup and attempted to change function of button 1 & 3. Nothing works. Performed factory reset of the VoiceLive-3 and updated firmware (2.2.00 build 366). Still buttons 1 & 3 of switch do not work. Need help, folks!

read more...
    0 379
    • Adventurer
      PetGerbil

If you press the "Setup" Button, in the "Input" Tab, have you got the "input type" set to either "Dynamic Mic" or "Condenser" (Depending on what mic you've got ?) The other types might be overiding the footswitch.

If everythings fine there, Tab right to "Mic Control" and make sure they're set to  "Off"

Tab right again, And you say everythings set right in the "Footswitch" Tab ? set to "Switch 3" etc...?

And the footswitch is plugged into the top "Footswitch" Jack.?

If it's nothing from above, then I dunno.

Might be the lead... 

If all else fails,you could maybe find a shop that sells Switch 3's and ask if you could take you're VL3 in to try it with a different one.

• March 1, 2020
    • Adventurer
      TCH-Rob

@Adventurer this could be an issue with your unit. If you haven't already, create a care ticket under the "support" tab on www.musictribe.com!  

• March 2, 2020
    • Adventurer
      ChrisF

Have you tried a different cable? Is there a way you can try the Switch 3 on a different device, like a 3-channel switching amp maybe? Hopefully it's the cable or the Switch 3 and not the unit itself.

• March 2, 2020
    • Adventurer
      Adventurer

Yes, I tried a different TRS cable.  I also checked out the TRS cable and there is continuity between all 3 contacts (tip-to-tip, ring-to-ring & sleeve-to sleeve) on both ends of the cable and there is no short between any of the TRS contacts. IO have no other foot-contolled device to test the Switch-3 and I would be hesitant to do this anyway as I do not have a schematic for the Switch-3 and I wouldn't know what it would do to other systems if a attempted to connect it there.

• March 2, 2020
    • Adventurer
      ChrisF

Switch 3 schematic is here. https://branchonmaybe.wordpress.com/2012/02/25/using-digitech-fs3x-footswitch-with-t-c-helicon-harmony-m/. I doubt that's the issue though, since it's a pretty simple circuit.

• March 5, 2020
  • Soulfood
    Contributor - Level 1
    2020-03-25

Hi Guys,

I own the TC Helicon Voicelive Rack.

I would like to perform a FACTORY RESET to the hardware and return it to its natural state when it was shipped.

Any information or guidance will highly be appreciated.

Thanks

TC VLIVE.jpg

read more...
    0 371
    • Soulfood
      TCH-Rob

Hi @Soulfood ,

All the information on how to perform a factory reset on Voicelive Rack are on page 13 of the manual. I've copied and pasted it here: 

"This can be performed to initialize all presets and
      system parameters back to their factory defaults.
      To perform a global reset:
      1. Power up the unit.
      2. When the first text is displayed in the LCD
      window, hold the 4 buttons listed below and
      continue to hold until the reset prompt is
      displayed:
      • µMod
      • Delay
      • Reverb
      • Tone
      This procedure can take up to 2 minutes."

• March 25, 2020
  • BenPearce
    Contributor - Level 2
    2020-08-18

I have my Voice live 3 plugged into my computer via USB. I have Ableton open with the VoiceLive 3 set to both the input and output device in Ableton preferences. I have tried all the different USB input/output settings on my VL3 and the USB volume is turned up in the VL3 mixer. My computer is recieving audio from the VL3, but I am unable to hear the computers audio through the VL3.

Any ideas of what I might be doing wrong?

read more...
    0 362
    • BenPearce
      PedroRodrigues Hi Ben I’m sorry in advance for the extensive reply but I think is best for your to have the full picture of your unit when it comes to interface with a computer and to be honest I think that matter is more a routing issue on your DAW .Please be aware that the USB audio in VoiceLive 3 only supports 2 channels, this means you unfortunately cannot do crazy multitracking with simultaneous separated auxiliary, backing track, stereo vocal, and stereo guitar channels. But we have included multiple modes for different uses to make the most of these 2 channels.
      There are three different input modes for VoiceLive 3 to receive USB audio from your computer, which are selectable in the Setup menu on the Input tab under the USB Mode parameter:
      STEREO USB audio from your computer is received with its panning intact, as a stereo signal. Incoming USB audio competes with the backing track player (Extreme only), and levels can be edited in the VoiceLive 3's "Mix" menu. USB output back to your computer is locked to a full stereo mix (wet vocals and wet guitar together)
      DAW TRACKING Incoming USB audio is stereo and one-way, as in VoiceLive 3 does not return the USB audio coming from your computer back into the computer
      DAW INSERT For applying VoiceLive 3's effects to dry audio from your computer. USB audio received from your computer is expected to be panned - audio panned left will go through VoiceLive 3s vocal path, and audio panned right will go through VoiceLive 3s instrument path
      There are also a couple output modes for how your VoiceLive 3 sends its audio (your vocal and guitar signals) into your computer, which are selectable in the Setup menu on the Output tab under the USB Output Mode parameter:
      STEREO USB audio output to your computer is a stereo mix of wet vocals and wet guitar
      SAME AS XLR The two left and right USB audio channels (1 and 2 respectively) sending to your computer mimic the two main XLR outputs from the VoiceLive 3
      DRY VOX L / GUITAR R Mono dry vocals are sent to your computer on channel 1, and mono dry guitar is sent to your computer on channel 2
      If you want to essentially use your VoiceLive 3 as a USB hardware plugin with your DAW, we recommend using the DAW INSERT input mode and the SAME AS XLR output mode, with the XLR Output Mode set to Dual Mono.
      With this setup, audio from your DAW panned left will be fed through VoiceLive 3s vocal path and back out wet in mono to channel 1, and audio from your DAW panned right will be fed through VoiceLive 3s guitar path and back out wet in mono to channel 2.
      • August 19, 2020
    • BenPearce
      BenPearce Thanks for your response Pedro. I have read the above documentation on VL3's USB modes, and I have tried switching through them. I don't think the issue is with routing in my DAW, because when I switch Ableton's output device to my normal audio interface I hear the output audio as expected.
      • August 19, 2020
      • Can't hear USB Audio Input on the Head Phone Output - Voice Live 3
        PedroRodrigues Hi Ben, that is exactly what I mean the routing of your DAW when operating with the VL3 as a audio interface, please have into consideration that when you do use it it has the limitation stated above
        • August 19, 2020
        BenPearce But on "Stereo USB" and "DAW Tracking" input mode the DAW's output should be routed through the VL3 headphone output, right?
        • ·
        • August 19, 2020
        PedroRodrigues Hi Ben Pearce Please go to the Main Mix Menu and please confirm how you have set up the Headphones Mix
        • August 20, 2020
Go to page