Statistics

242,598 members
118,992 posts
  • PetMonster
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-02-06
    When I'm calibrating the maximum value of my volume pedal (a passive Jim Dunlop pedal) in the pedals menu, the toe down position gives me a reading of 0.
    To get the maximum reading (29 appears to be the highest), the pedal is only at around 85% of the way pressed into the toe down position.
    As you go further beyond this point, the reading decreases back down again until it is again at 0% in the full toe down position, making the volume pedal almost useless as you have to guess the maximum volume level position rather than having the comfort of knowing a full depressed pedal will give you that response.

Is there a way of rectifying this or is it an issue with the pedal?

Thanks in advance.
    read more...
    0 2,263
    • PetMonster
      Banenis How is your pedal connected? What type of cable are you using. (I don't care what brand it is, I want to know what kinds of connections is the cable making, and where is it making them)
      • February 5, 2012
    • PetMonster
      PetMonster Hi, I'm connecting the output of the volume pedal to the volume pedal input on the back of the G system. I've tried using a mono instrument cable and a TRS cable.

Cheers.
      • February 5, 2012
    • PetMonster
      Laird_Williams

PetMonster wrote:

Hi, I'm connecting the output of the volume pedal to the volume pedal input on the back of the G system. I've tried using a mono instrument cable and a TRS cable.

Cheers.

Get a TRS-Dual TS cable (commonly called an "insert cable" or "stereo to mono split cable").

Read pp. 69-70 of the following for wiring instructions and G-System parameter settings:

http://www.guitaraffair.com/pdfs/g-system-configuration-and-troubleshooting-guide.pdf

If you still have problems after that, I would suspect the potentiometer on the volume pedal.
      • February 5, 2012
    • PetMonster
      PetMonster Thank you again. I'll print out your manual.
      • February 7, 2012
  • askorp
    Contributor - Level 1
    2012-02-05
    Hi all, not sure if this is the correct forum to ask Recently i bought a usb audio interface (native instruments komplete audio 6) to do some recording while practicing Problem is i have no idea how to do it
    My current rg consists of a TC electronic rh450 plus a 2x10 cabinet. So, as i don't have the money yet to buy a pair of monitor speakers, i would like to know if it's possible to connect the usb audio interface with my computer's soundcard (auzentech prelude) and my current speakers (creative 5.1) for audio listening.

bass->rh450->komplete audio 6->computer soundcard (through s/pdif)

Thanks in advance
    read more...
    0 3,879
    • askorp
      slawie Hello,

You might find this link helpful.

http://hansrune.net/bass/gear/

slawie
      • February 11, 2012
    • askorp
      joeglow So are you saying that you can connect a stomp box, say an octave pedal to the"In" on thepedal to the "In"on the rear panel and from the "Out" on the pedal to the "out" on the rear panel and use the effect at will? I apologize for the dumb question but I have always been a tube amp guy and just got this thing and I'm trying to understand how the rearpanel works. I cannot find any videos on YT on the subject and there's nothing in the manual that really explains the procedure.
      • February 22, 2012
    • askorp
      slawie Consider the signal path like water flowing through a hose.

The signal goes from the out on the

Rear panel of the amp to the in of your stomp box

then from the out of your Stomp box to the in

on the rear panel of your amp.

Hope this helps.

slawie
      • February 22, 2012
  • Floydish
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-02-05
    The common problem G-System users have with noise is a ground-loop power issue.
    Here's my simple solution to eliminate ground-loop noise from your G-System.

I connected my G-System and was happy to hear No noise from my amp.
    I switched on my LED track lighting in my studio and a very loud continuous “hum” was present.
    I added a two-prong AC adapter to the G-System's power cable and the noise was eliminated.
    The two-prong adapter seemed to break the ground loop and correct the problem.
    Two-prong adapters can be hazardous so I considered buying the Ebtech Hum X but they cost $70.
    I discovered if I plugged the G-System directly into the same "power strip" as my amp the “hum” was eliminated.
    Once the G-System and amp shared the same ground circuit the problem was solved.
    Try it and see if it solves your noise problem.
    read more...
    0 2,297
    • Floydish
      Floydish I also discovered the G-System patch cables aren't good to use to power your external pedals.

Most Manufactures require their own power supply or you will hear a hum.
      • February 5, 2012
    • Floydish
      BlueSpecial

Floydish wrote:

I also discovered the G-System patch cables aren't good to use to power your external pedals.

Most Manufactures require their own power supply or you will hear a hum.

As I related here: http://forum.tcelectronic.com/topic/11443/external-ac-adaptor-my-experience/

Powering my pedals using an external power supply solved all my problems...
      • February 5, 2012
    • Floydish
      zaidcrowe +1 - didn't solve all my issues - but it helped ALOT
      • February 5, 2012
  • Thepedalmaster
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-02-04
    I just bought a g system off eBay and want to have everything ready for when it arrives . I have a Mesa boogie triple rectifier and I read all different types or things about they work and then they don't work . Should I use the 4 Cale method ? What kind of cables should I use ? I use George l instrument Calbles normally will they work ? Should I mod my triple rec to serial or should I just play around with it and adjust the mix level ? How should I set the g system up with the triple the 4 cbm or ? Sorry for all the questions it just seems crazy complicated.
    read more...
    0 1,846
    • Thepedalmaster
      Banenis If you haven't already, download and read the Laird Williams White Paper about configuring and understanding your g system. It will answer all of your questions. There is a sticky post for it near the top of the forum.
      • February 4, 2012
    • Thepedalmaster
      Thepedalmaster Ok so that answered most of my questions . execpt what kind of cables I should get it like brand wise and trs or not ?
      • February 5, 2012
    • Thepedalmaster
      Banenis The white paper advises you as to where to use TS or trs cables. Depending on your rig you will have to get as many cables, of the appropriate type, as you will need. Every rig is different so you'll have to work this out for yourself but you will definitely need both TS and trs cables.

As far as the brand of cable, get one that you think sounds good. I use a mixture of cheap and expensive cables, depending on which connection the cable is making.

Good luck.
      • February 5, 2012
    • Thepedalmaster
      Thepedalmaster Ok I just bought a roll of George l's off 1k last year so it kinda sucks I have to use trs cables. Are seismic any good I have looked online and they seem to have good reviews
      • February 5, 2012
  • petermerlot
    Contributor - Level 1
    2012-02-04
    Hi All,
    Have any of you paired the Behringer FCB1010 with the TCN

Regards, Peter
    0 2,312
    • petermerlot
      skull_stjohn Yes, tried it briefly, and it works!
      • March 29, 2012
    • petermerlot
      thesnue Did that too but Tap Tempo wouldn't work akurately. NS didn't read out the slower tempi properly.

The rest worked
      • March 29, 2012
    • petermerlot
      slippyB yep. works well. though havent got around to getting the expression pedals working with it. Anyone else have experience with the exp pedals for vol etc?
      • April 2, 2012
  • zaidcrowe
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-02-04
    Hi all,

I know enough about midi to hook my gear together an a cohesive way - but not enough to know how to establish if the G carries it's own MIDI clock.

I've been looking at alot of time based effect lately - and this has come up repeatedly for temp syncing.

Does the G do this? If not - whats the solution?
    read more...
    0 3,308
    • zaidcrowe
      TC-Mike Hi, the G-system cannot send out it's own midi clock signal, but can easily sync modulation speeds and delay times to an incoming midi clock.
      • February 5, 2012
    • zaidcrowe
      zaidcrowe Great - thanks.
      • February 6, 2012
    • zaidcrowe
      Banenis Bummer. Too bad the slicer doesn't accept tap tempo via CC#. Sorry dude.
      • February 6, 2012
    • zaidcrowe
      zaidcrowe yup - kinda sucks but its been such a cool thing to add to my rig I just had to keep it - highly recommend
      • February 6, 2012
    • zaidcrowe
      Banenis hey, Zaid, Do you happen to use any of the Eventide "factor" stomp boxes? They accept tap tempo in via MIDI CC from g sys' tap function but they can also SEND Midi clock. I'm not positive this will work, but it might. Just a thought I had.

-Jake
      • February 8, 2012
  • Doyler
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-02-04
    Way back when I owned a single rectifier, I chopped the end of my footswitch cable off and attached it to two TS guitar leads thusly creating a pseudo Y cable that functioned in the following manner: both cables plugged into the G systems relays and fed into the footswitch jack of my amp. This worked! I know this worked because I did it. I just had to find out which pin controlled which action, and solder it correctly.

Here's where it gets tasty. We have a lot more switching options available on the mark V, EQ in or out, boost, reverb, 3 channels. At the moment I am using two TS cables from the G system relays to switch between the three channels on my Mark V. But I want more, we always want more! I think most people who want to control all of these parameters will be considering an amp gizmo. However theoretically we should be able to fashion a cable that does this all for us, given that the G system relays are TRS! I imagine it as below:

Mark V Footswitch cable ->

Relay 1 open: Channel 1
    Relay 1 tip to ground: Channel 2
    Relay 1 ring to ground: Channel 3

Relay 2 open: No effects
    Relay 2 tip to ground: EQ on
    Relay 2 ring to ground: Solo boost on
    Relay 2 tip and ring to ground: Reverb on

If anyone has any ideas / criticisms let me know. Otherwise I am going to try and get a schematic from Mesa and see what I can whip up. Would be good to hear about stuff like this that other people have done.

Matt
    read more...
    0 5,297
    • Doyler
      CodyCass1 I think mesa should make midi controlled amps. This would put their value up, and may make it harder to buy, BUT it would a very thankful accommodation not only to G users, but for gear heads. I use a gizmo for my triple rec, but my hughes and kettner triamp mkII is midi and it makes life easy. But if you can whip something up, and show us it works, that would be rather amazing. You would just have to make it so it can be fully switchable and the only thing I can think of that would do it, would be to have midi involved but im no tech guru when it comes to splitting cable controls on such big options.
      • February 3, 2012
    • Doyler
      Colinboy Yes alot of the guys here who play use mesa amps are using the amp gizmo now which enables them to channel switch via midi.I definitely think at this stage the guys at Mesa should have this feature on all their amps.That was a factor I took into consideration when I purchased my last amp.I went with a blackstar series one because of the midi switching and it works like a charm with the GS.
      • February 4, 2012
    • Doyler
      bucketbot

Doyler wrote:

Way back when I owned a single rectifier, I chopped the end of my footswitch cable off and attached it to two TS guitar leads thusly creating a pseudo Y cable that functioned in the following manner: both cables plugged into the G systems relays and fed into the footswitch jack of my amp. This worked! I know this worked because I did it. I just had to find out which pin controlled which action, and solder it correctly.

Here's where it gets tasty. We have a lot more switching options available on the mark V, EQ in or out, boost, reverb, 3 channels. At the moment I am using two TS cables from the G system relays to switch between the three channels on my Mark V. But I want more, we always want more! I think most people who want to control all of these parameters will be considering an amp gizmo. However theoretically we should be able to fashion a cable that does this all for us, given that the G system relays are TRS! I imagine it as below:

If anyone has any ideas / criticisms let me know. Otherwise I am going to try and get a schematic from Mesa and see what I can whip up. Would be good to hear about stuff like this that other people have done.

Matt

Don't think it's that simple with the Mark V as even the custom cable for the amp Gizmo has a small box in the middle of it with some circuitry inside.
      • February 4, 2012
    • Doyler
      DaveDaveDave

Doyler wrote:

Matt

Your relay 1 options are fine, and I use my the same way with my G-System and Mark V - but you can't control more than two things with the Relay 2. Pick any two, only two, and that's all you get. Think of this way: you've got tip open or short, ring open or short; and ground is always what you short to. I.e., your last idea of tip and ring to ground is really EQ on and SOLO on. Of course, if you wanted to build your own box with your own relays, you could map each of the 4 states to any number of relay outputs - but it's prolly easier to buy something like that (footsim, MIDI Octopus or Amp Gizmo)...

FWIW, I just use the G's boost and reverbs, and I leave the Mark V's EQs on all the time. I have a few programs set up with a fixed EQ on the G to do the scoop thing.

Hope this helps!

Dave
      • February 7, 2012
  • planetvee
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-02-03
    I just got a restock Silver G ( Ireally wish i would of been able to of purchased a Limited or iB so i wouldnt of asked this ques) 1)Can I use the Valvulator as the buffer between guitar and G input? and will this solve the signal buffer problem that is talked about? 2) Does the output of the G require or prefer a balanced cable? 3) will an ebtech hum E work to convert the balanced cables from the g to the unbal inputs of the amp? Thanx, Vee. Gear: Evh Wolfgang specials, Les Paul classic, Marshall DSL 2000 Vht Valvulator, Hendrix purple wah, Line6 Uber metal.
    read more...
    0 6,317
    • planetvee
      elcap420 1) Yes, though many opt for the Lehle Sunday Driver 2)does not require balanced cable ...always better if running long cables though 3) Yes check Lairds White paper for full hook up need to knows

Good luck!!!
      • February 3, 2012
    • planetvee
      planetvee Thanx elcap420. Im reading Laird's G Bible now lol! I know the balanced cables are needed for the inserts and are better for noise. thanx again.
      • February 3, 2012
    • planetvee
      LanBuddha Hi planetvee, Have a look at my post here,

http://forum.tcelectronic.com/topic/9285/egnater-renegade-users-please-read/

I use a Valvulator and you might find it useful if you end up getting one, give it a read.
      • February 3, 2012
    • planetvee
      planetvee Thanx. Lan Buddah. I do have one currently . And I will replace the valve .I probably should replace the tube as well.
      • February 3, 2012
    • planetvee
      planetvee I meant light not tube!!! Lol its broke.
      • February 15, 2012
  • bucketbot
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-02-03
    Extract from Manual:

EQ Lock
    This parameter locks the settings of the EQ section.
    When you activate the Lock feature, the EQ settings for
    the currently recalled preset will be used on all presets.

Sounds simple enough...however it doesn't seem to work for me. :/
    I have engaged the EQ lock in the Utility section whilst using a patch in which I have modified the EQ but when I change to another patch the EQ seems to still be the default setting for that patch & not as per the previous patch that I have just modified ?
    read more...
    0 6,248
    • bucketbot
      Flumungus I think i remember having a similar issue with the relay lock. Something about locking it would use the last known config for all patches. The key was to unlock it ... edit settings ... save the patch while its unlocked. Relock it! and save it again. Edditing it with the lock allready enabled just defaulted to the previous state.
      • February 3, 2012
    • bucketbot
      utterlyguitarde Why lock it?

It's an effect that I like to change from time to time, depending on what guitars I'm using...keeping my options open.
      • February 3, 2012
    • bucketbot
      bucketbot

Flumungus wrote:

I think i remember having a similar issue with the relay lock. Something about locking it would use the last known config for all patches. The key was to unlock it ... edit settings ... save the patch while its unlocked. Relock it! and save it again. Edditing it with the lock allready enabled just defaulted to the previous state.

Yep....tried all that...same result. :/ Maybe a bug?
      • February 4, 2012
    • bucketbot
      Flumungus I'm not sure Bucketbot. That was just a suggestion. I dont use the eq myself but i'll see if mine works sometime this weekend.
      • February 4, 2012
    • bucketbot
      CozmicDebris The FAQ knowledge base says the following:

Question

If I store a preset with the EQ switched 'OFF', and subsequently edit it, I find the EQ has snapped back to 'ON'. What's going on?

Answer

That's perfectly normal.

When you store a preset with EQ set to 'OFF', the preset is stored as EQ 'OFF'.

However if you go in to 'check', the G-System turns the EQ back to 'ON' in order to help you, assuming when you wish to edit the EQ settings, you're like to wish to hear any changes you make - immediately - without having to actually spend time turning it 'ON' first.

I haven't checked it with locked EQ but maybe this (or something similar) is what happens to you.
      • February 4, 2012
  • Cpelaez1
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-02-03
    I have my g brains in the rack. I want to get the crybaby rack wah and use that. But I don't want two long cables from my rack to the board just for the wah pedal (I like the clean look with one cat5 cable to the board and using the two jacks under the floor controller.). Anyway can I somehow connect the rack wah to the g brains so that my expression jack on my controller board can use the crybaby rack? Pretty much i want to use the rack cry baby by connecting a pedal to the expression jack on the floor board, but it would be using the rack wah instead of the g system wah.

Thanks a lot
    Regards,

Cristian Pelaez
    read more...
    0 2,352
    • Cpelaez1
      orion21 Have you not been able to dial in a good wah sound with the G? I just sold my classic crybaby and 535Q because I think you can get really good results from the G-system. And the rack crybaby is a boatload of $.......
      • February 2, 2012
    • Cpelaez1
      Tritjay I'm pretty sure it can't be done. Does the rack wah have midi? Even if so, the g can't send cc messages via the expression pedal,i tried controlling my whammy with it but it didnt work. I was in the same boat as you (didn't want to run cables just for a wah). Now I'm using the G system wah and I'm in love with it! Set to 5, 45, 85

I used it live for the first time last night in my Pantera tribute band www.facebook.com/cowboysfromhellau and it sounded amazing!! Plus it's soooo easy to use. I even combined wah and delay control for the Solo in "this love" using the one expression pedal. When the toe was down it increased the delay level and slows the speed. Heel down reduced the delay level but sped up the delay all controlling the wah at the same time. It sounded great and if you know the song then you'll probably understand why the delay is set that way.

Give the G wah a good crack before you make a decision
      • February 4, 2012
Go to page