Statistics

260,765 members
139,394 posts
  • LakeIsleBand
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-01-10
    Hey everyone...

I recently bought the iB Modified and am loving it thus far although I was not thoroughly impressed with the TC delays after having used the Eventide Timefactor. So I am using the Timefactor as well as the Pitchfactor within the loop section. I love having expression for both the Eventides and the G System.

I would like to expand this set up more with having the G System control via Midi in terms of having the G change the banks on the TF and PF.

Although there is extensive information regarding Midi and the G, I seem to be hitting a road block with how to approach setting this up and configuring this to happen.

Currently I am using Midi between the Eventides to control the banks on the PF (slave) from the TF (master) and an aux switch to bank up and down.

The reason is that I would like to run the Timefactor in stereo (because it sounds ridiculous) as I have for the past couple of years which mean I'd have to run it after the G. Controlling it with the G would allow me to turn the unit on or off and change presets and thus not require it be within the loop section. At this point, I can only control whether the TF and PF are present or not.

Changing Eventide banks with G System presets would open up new sonic doors for me. Doors that I would very much like to walk through.

Any ideas?

Thank you!!!!
    read more...
    0 2,704
    • LakeIsleBand
      Laird_Williams

LakeIsleBand wrote:

Hey everyone...

I recently bought the iB Modified and am loving it thus far although I was not thoroughly impressed with the TC delays after having used the Eventide Timefactor. So I am using the Timefactor as well as the Pitchfactor within the loop section. I love having expression for both the Eventides and the G System.

I would like to expand this set up more with having the G System control via Midi in terms of having the G change the banks on the TF and PF.

Although there is extensive information regarding Midi and the G, I seem to be hitting a road block with how to approach setting this up and configuring this to happen.

Currently I am using Midi between the Eventides to control the banks on the PF (slave) from the TF (master) and an aux switch to bank up and down.

The reason is that I would like to run the Timefactor in stereo (because it sounds ridiculous) as I have for the past couple of years which mean I'd have to run it after the G. Controlling it with the G would allow me to turn the unit on or off and change presets and thus not require it be within the loop section. At this point, I can only control whether the TF and PF are present or not.

Changing Eventide banks with G System presets would open up new sonic doors for me. Doors that I would very much like to walk through.

Any ideas?

Thank you!!!!

You need to be VERY careful with the word "bank" in this context. MIDI has the concept of "banks", but that is NOT what the *factor (where *="pitch", "time", "mod", etc.) banks are. You really can't directly select a bank via MIDI on these pedals. You really don't need to switch "banks" anyway. What you want to be able to do is select PRESETS - and there are a couple of ways to select PRESETS via MIDI.

Yes, when you are using the buttons on the *factor pedals, you deal with several banks of 2 presets per bank. But the *factors do not "play" banks, they "play" presets. You just need the G to select presets for you via MIDI. This turns out to be pretty easy - but I need to know something.

Are you already controlling your amp via MIDI too?

BTW - I have a ModFactor working with 3 other MIDI devices (preamp, power amp, and Nova drive) all controlled very nicely by the G. The *factor MIDI implementations are excellent.
      • January 10, 2012
    • LakeIsleBand
      LakeIsleBand Hi Laird,

I kind of thought you'd be the guy who'd know.

But no, I am just playing in stereo with two Vox AC15...keeping that end of things very simple...for now.

Thank you for your help. I really appreciate your expertise on these matters.
      • January 10, 2012
    • LakeIsleBand
      Laird_Williams

LakeIsleBand wrote:

Hi Laird,

I kind of thought you'd be the guy who'd know.

But no, I am just playing in stereo with two Vox AC15...keeping that end of things very simple...for now.

Thank you for your help. I really appreciate your expertise on these matters.

This will be easy then.

The Factor pedals have an inbound MIDI map. Try this:

1) Wire up as follows:

G-System Midi Out --> Factor pedal 1 in

Factor pedal 1 out/thru --> Factor pedal 2 in

2) Configure Factor pedal 1 so that the out/thru port functions as a thru port

3) Put all 3 units (G, both pedals) on the same MIDI Channel

4) On the G, set MIDIrogram Change Out to ON MAP and reset the program map

5) On both factor pedals, turn on the inbound program map.

Ok - let's use factor presets on the Factor pedals for starters.

To associate a G-System preset with a preset that has been stored on the pedals

1) Go into the G program map and LOOK at the midi PC# associated with the G-System preset you want to use.

2) Go into the first Factor pedal and change the inbound program map so that this PC# selects the bank and preset you want to use on that pedal

3) Repeat step 2 (with perhaps a different bank and preset number) on the second factor pedal.

That's it.

What happens here this:

1) The G's program map says "when preset
      is selected, send MIDI PC

"

2) Then the first factor pedal says "when I get MIDI PC

, select bank

preset

3) Then the second factor pedal says "when I get MIDI PC

, select bank

preset

• January 10, 2012
    • LakeIsleBand
      LakeIsleBand Thanks for the info. I'll give it a shot. It sounds relatively straight forward. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again sir.
      • January 10, 2012
  • nealpaul
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-01-10
    Curious as to what the updates provide. I recently purchased one and it has the original operating system 1.13 maybe? if this has been addressed already, please point me in that direction. thanks in advance.
    0 1,047
  • LordRiffenstein
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-01-10
    Am I going nuts or do I have to hit the tap tempo button about 6 times before it gives me the real tempo? Anybody else experiencing this?
    0 1,733
    • LordRiffenstein
      nealpaul your nova may be nuts. are you seeing the display show in BPM? 3x usually does it for me to ensure i'm on it but i normally keep tapping until it feels right. reason being is we're human and not metronomes. the bpm display will show you how far off you can be between taps.
      • January 10, 2012
  • PeterNorthcote
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-01-09
    I like the feel of the BOSS 500 series. http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=697
    But do i want a HIGH or LOW Impedance one?
    Thanks
    Peter
    read more...
    0 20,243
    • PeterNorthcote
      bucketbot

Peter Northcote wrote:

I like the feel of the BOSS 500 series. http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=697

But do i want a HIGH or LOW Impedance one?

Thanks

Peter

I has generally been found that the FV500H connected by a Y Insert cable will give the best results.

Do a forum search & you will find a lot of discussion re this.
      • January 9, 2012
    • PeterNorthcote
      Banenis ^ Ditto. High impedance pedals will work better for you.
      • January 9, 2012
    • PeterNorthcote
      krubel54 Make sure you get the Y cable with the the TRS to "Dual TS". Also make sure you have the latest firmware installed on you G-System before you hook up your exp/vol pedals, otherwise you may encounter some bugs.
      • January 9, 2012
    • PeterNorthcote
      PeterNorthcote Thanks for the info folks

Pete

www.peternorthcote.com
      • January 10, 2012
    • PeterNorthcote
      PeterNorthcote where can i get the Y cable with the the TRS to "Dual TS? and the Midi Y cable for the Nova Drive?
      • January 11, 2012
  • zaidcrowe
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-01-09
    Hi All,

So I'm considering adding the Nova drive to my rig to give me some more flavours.

If I do this - it looks like I'm also going to have rework my voodoo labs power supply into my rig because of the 12v power requirements.

So - simple question - is it worth it?

Are there other drive pedals I should consider that intergrate well with the g system?

Thanks all
    read more...
    0 15,633
    • zaidcrowe
      realestatetrai1 Convey that you know the answers and you know how to get answers. Also, make sure to share with them if you're pre-foreclosure or short sale certified.This can be in an email or phone conversation by saying,
      • January 9, 2012
    • zaidcrowe
      Banenis I'm always up in the air with the nova drive. I've got a few sounds that I really like on it but I feel like I'm always just about to sell it and just use dedicated od/dist pedals again.

The fact that it gives 18 sounds of your choosing is awesome and the fact that you can edit those sounds from the g system is awesome. I just haven't been really dazzled by its tone the way I am by a Surh Riot pedal or Butler Tube Driver or an Xotic AC Booster.

Just my $0.02
      • January 9, 2012
    • zaidcrowe
      bucketbot

Banenis wrote:

I'm always up in the air with the nova drive. I've got a few sounds that I really like on it but I feel like I'm always just about to sell it and just use dedicated od/dist pedals again.

+1 Exactly! I did in fact sell mine & just stuck with my trusty modded Boss SD-1.
      • January 9, 2012
    • zaidcrowe
      damcka I guess the ND is worth it based purely on flexibility.

you can have 18 separate stomp sounds

it's an OD and DS pedal all in one

You can go through all configurations of running OD->DS etc etc.

It's programmable and switchable from the GS.
      • January 9, 2012
    • zaidcrowe
      Banenis The only reason that I still have mine now is that I keep my eventide modfactor in loop 1 and an OD808 in loop 2. If I got rid of my nova drive, I'd only have 2 loops open for OD/Dist boxes which isn't really enough different sounds for me and my band. So I keep my nova in loop 4 and switch loop 3 with a few different pedals depending on my mood.
      • January 9, 2012
  • Colinboy
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-01-09
    Howdy folks

New user of the G system here.Just looking for advice from you guys on where to buy decent TRS-TRS cables to connect the G system to my amp.
    Im living in Ireland can someone recommend a dealer somewhere in Europe or in the UK to buy these.I was looking at the mogami cables.any other brands you guys would recommend?
    read more...
    0 19,862
    • Colinboy
      zaidcrowe Hi Colin,

I went through these guys: http://www.bulletsound.com/ (ask for barry - also irsh and tell 'em I told you to call em)
      • January 9, 2012
    • Colinboy
      zaidcrowe or - I got a couple pre made (mogami) from here: http://www.langtoninfo.co.uk/showitem.aspx?isbn=0801813076196&loc=GBP

or - google "lava cable" - another great company for custom stuff
      • January 9, 2012
    • Colinboy
      Colinboy Thanks Zaid i actually just sent ya an email there mate asking you where you got yours.Need to get these cables sorted asap so i can get the G up n running!

I will check out the links and let you know how i get on.

Also how many hum eliminators do you think i should get?
      • January 9, 2012
    • Colinboy
      zaidcrowe If you can afford it - get 2, it's a great bit of kit to "have around" even if its not an immediate requirement.

From my experience with the g sys and black star amps - I only use the one, but kept the other in my rack jet incase
      • January 9, 2012
    • Colinboy
      Colinboy

zaidcrowe wrote:

If you can afford it - get 2, it's a great bit of kit to "have around" even if its not an immediate requirement.

From my experience with the g sys and black star amps - I only use the one, but kept the other in my rack jet incase

Will do mate thanks for the advice.I hope all this extra money is going to be worth the tone!
      • January 9, 2012
  • milleramt
    Contributor - Level 1
    2012-01-09
    I've had my NS (limited) for 2 weeks and noticed the clean bleed right away on the OD settings. Since have joined forum and found out this has been addressed on the forum alot. Has anybody contacted TC about this and received any feedback? Wonder if they'll fix in the new generation of NS? Or an upgrade? They addressed it when they came out with the NDR-1. I have (2) G-System's and (1) NDR-1 and thought the NS would work as a small gig setup but the OD/Clean Bleed is a real set back.....
    read more...
    0 2,420
    • milleramt
      elfredoo the clean bleed in the overdrive is wanted since it replicates the tubescreamer. the overdrive bleed in the clean is not wanted and not yet been adressed
      • January 9, 2012
    • milleramt
      rickms

elfredoo wrote:

the clean bleed in the overdrive is wanted since it replicates the tubescreamer. the overdrive bleed in the clean is not wanted and not yet been adressed

Not that I want it ,but I have a new NS Limited and have not heard the distortion bleed into the clean. My understanding is that to create the situation you need to have the overdrive gain up and the overdrive unselected. Not that I want it but it is strange that it is not occurring?
      • February 22, 2012
    • milleramt
      yes2matt

rickms wrote:

Not that I want it but it is strange that it is not occurring?

No, I have an older one, it doesn't "bleed" od signal into the clean tone either. I'm glad for that Do you think your SansAmp really helps your sound? I currently play my NS direct-to-PA. I don't use the NS overdrive, don't like it. I use a Tim boost/crunch pedal in front instead.
      • February 25, 2012
    • milleramt
      rickms

yes2matt wrote:

rickms wrote:

Not that I want it but it is strange that it is not occurring?

No, I have an older one, it doesn't "bleed" od signal into the clean tone either. I'm glad for that Do you think your SansAmp really helps your sound? I currently play my NS direct-to-PA. I don't use the NS overdrive, don't like it. I use a Tim boost/crunch pedal in front instead.

I think it does make a huge difference. I could not find a good sounds with the ns speaker emulation. I am happy with the overdrive and distortion with this combination.
      • February 26, 2012
  • sergio74
    Contributor - Level 1
    2012-01-09
    How to set-up a marshall jmp-1 into a gmajor into a marshall el84 20/20 power amp into a midi pedal? HELP!!! Thank you!!
    0 1,878
    • sergio74
      guitarded plug the gmajor in the fx loop of the jmp.

on the back of the jmp run a cable from the fx out of the jmp into the input of the gmajor.

then run a cable from the out of the gmajor into the fx return of the jmp.

plug guitar into the input of the jmp. run a cable from the output of the jmp into the input of the 20/20 power amp.

now, depending on your midi pedal, you will have to decide the best way to set up your midi.

I would run a midi cable from my midi board into the gmajor and the run a midi cable from the gmajor midi thru into the midi in of the jmp. Set the gmajor to listen on chan.1 and the jmp to listen on chan.2, then program my board with switches to operate the two seperately by programming some switches to send info on chan.1 (to the gmajor) and some on Chan.2 (to the jmp). but there are tons of options when it comes to this kind of thing so you are the only one who can decide what is right.

good luck!
      • January 8, 2012
  • orion21
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-01-08
    So I know I have a ground issue because it is driven by the USB cable (if i unplug it, all is silent and well.) the noise is only in the amp effects loop (a bit on the send, most on the return). I got a Behringer hd400 and run that in the loop and it makes ZERO difference. Any thoughts??

The other strange issue is that this is only with my DSL100 and not my mark iv.
    read more...
    0 14,224
    • orion21
      Laird_Williams

orion21 wrote:

So I know I have a ground issue because it is driven by the USB cable (if i unplug it, all is silent and well.) the noise is only in the amp effects loop (a bit on the send, most on the return). I got a Behringer hd400 and run that in the loop and it makes ZERO difference. Any thoughts??

The other strange issue is that this is only with my DSL100 and not my mark iv.

1) Others have reported that the behringer unit did not work for them. I can't say why - or whether they were using the unit properly.

2) If the loop is between the G and your laptop, then putting isolation between the G and your amp won't do much. That would be kind of like damming the Volga River when you want to create a lake on the Dneiper River
      • January 8, 2012
    • orion21
      orion21 Ugh......I'm really running out of money.......

Kinda weird how it doesn't affect the boogie though? My setup is here:

http://forum.tcelectronic.com/topic/11239/new-rig-and-schematic-to-match
      • January 8, 2012
    • orion21
      Banenis Yeah I've only heard bad things about the behringer one. You should use the ebtech one that the rest of us use.

Behringer makes the worst stuff on earth. Some of it is enticing because it's cheaper but it's just always a piece of junk.

I bought a tuner from them because I figured, "they can't screw up a tuner, right?" Wrong. The worst tuner I've ever used in my life.

I will never use anything from that company ever again. Especially in my guitar rig.

If you've already invested all the $$ in a nice amp and a g system, just go buy a real hum eliminator to go with and throw your behringer in the trash where it belongs.
      • January 8, 2012
    • orion21
      orion21 I had a 15 yr old mpx-g2 in the same configuration and I never had any of these issues. I got this because of the extra relays, faster switching, spillover and harmonizer. I lost a ton of functionality with the G2 and I am beginning to wonder if I made a mistake......

I have solved the hum issue on the marshall by unpluggin the USB from my computer. I still have a noise issue (not hum) on the front-end of my Mark IV that I haven't solved yet.
      • January 9, 2012
    • orion21
      zaidcrowe

Banenis wrote:

Yeah I've only heard bad things about the behringer one. You should use the ebtech one that the rest of us use.

Behringer makes the worst stuff on earth. Some of it is enticing because it's cheaper but it's just always a piece of junk.

I bought a tuner from them because I figured, "they can't screw up a tuner, right?" Wrong. The worst tuner I've ever used in my life.

I will never use anything from that company ever again. Especially in my guitar rig.

If you've already invested all the $$ in a nice amp and a g system, just go buy a real hum eliminator to go with and throw your behringer in the trash where it belongs.

Amen - this company SUCK.
      • January 9, 2012
  • webstersp
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-01-08
    I have always been a guitar straight into a tube amp type of guy!
    Never used any pedals beside a tuner and vary rarely an od to tight the gain.

Long story short, I bought an imac with logic 9and started a small recording studio.
    Played with some amp sims and tried few effects and would love to use some with my band!

Now, the nova system is in my price range ( but not the G sysyem). I know that you can't use
    the 4 cable method wit it so, my question what is the best way to use the nova system?
    In the loop or in front of my amp? In the loop so i have to say goodbye to the OD, compressor etc???
    And in front same thing for delay, reverbs etc??
    read more...
    0 4,025
    • webstersp
      Shiner It sounds great in front of an amp on the clean channel, even the reverbs, delays and stuff. I have been using the G-system for two years i a 4 cable set up, but I just got me Nova System as well because I needed smaller rig from time to time. I run the Nova System i front of both my amps (Hiwatt Hi-gain 50 and my old Roland Bolt 30) , and it sounds great on both. As long as you have a good clean channel with some headroom your fine.
      • January 8, 2012
    • webstersp
      webstersp I would use this with a blackstar HT 40 combo +2x12blackstar artisan cab.

I won't use the distortion an overdrive to get my sound but only to use it as a boost or

to tighten my sound (like I did with my old ts808).

But I want to use delay, compression, eq, gate, pitch shifter and I'm 90% on the drive channel

and not on clean.
      • January 8, 2012
    • webstersp
      chopshop777 depending what type of music you play, if you play metal like me and use a high gain amp like Engl Invader 100 the best way is to go through the effects loop, but if you play clean, in front of the amp is the best way.

hope this helps.

www.myspace.com/guitarmessiah7
      • January 8, 2012
    • webstersp
      webstersp By going into the effecf loop, what are the effects that you can't use? (beside od, distortion and compression)
      • January 8, 2012
    • webstersp
      Shiner You can use everything but the od and distortion. You can even use the compression, but I guess it is more common to put the compression before the the preamp - and not in the loop.
      • January 8, 2012
Go to page