Statistics

305,968 members
190,309 posts
  • orion21
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-01-06
    Ok so I've been putting together a new rig in the last 2 months - final wiring will be complete tonight (waiting on 4 last right angle connectors).

    I'll post pics of the new rig, rack, and pedal board tonight or tomorrow - but here's the schematic for now:




    The black switcher (the thing with the A/B/C ins and outs) is something i made that throws the input and f/x loops to either the Mark IV or the Marshall.
    read more...
    0 22,813
    • orion21
      Banenis I like it. I'm curious about how the switching box is going to work for you.



      The only thing I might change would be putting the phase 90 before the nova drive, but that's just personal taste.
      • January 6, 2012
    • orion21
      bucketbot

      Banenis wrote:

      I like it. I'm curious about how the switching box is going to work for you.



      The only thing I might change would be putting the phase 90 before the nova drive, but that's just personal taste.




      +1. I also think the phase 90 sounds best pre distortion.



      Looks very similar to my stereo set-up using the Lehle D Loop to switch the preamps in the insert loop.

      However I have now changed that to only using my Mark V in the insert as I find it really gives me all the tones I need & simplifies things considerably



      BEFORE!











      AFTER!







      • January 6, 2012
    • orion21
      Tritjay

      bucketbot wrote:



      Banenis wrote:

      I like it. I'm curious about how the switching box is going to work for you.



      The only thing I might change would be putting the phase 90 before the nova drive, but that's just personal taste.




      +1. I also think the phase 90 sounds best pre distortion.



      Looks very similar to my stereo set-up using the Lehle D Loop to switch the preamps in the insert loop.

      However I have now changed that to only using my Mark V in the insert as I find it really gives me all the tones I need & simplifies things considerably



      BEFORE!











      AFTER!
















      Hey Bucketbot, just curious why you have your pedals (boss, mxr etc.) at the front of your board when you've got them in the G loop and can control them via that? Don't they get in your way?
      • January 6, 2012
    • orion21
      bucketbot No I don't find they do, I put them there cos I like to be able to easily reach down & tweak the knobs.



      Also I have my G fixed to the pedalboard with bolts thru the bottom with some spacers to raise it up slightly.

      The tops of the pedal knobs are just level with the front of the G so I can hit the G system front row switches with my to no problem without touching the pedals.
      • January 6, 2012
    • orion21
      Tritjay

      bucketbot wrote:

      No I don't find they do, I put them there cos I like to be able to easily reach down & tweak the knobs.



      Also I have my G fixed to the pedalboard with bolts thru the bottom with some spacers to raise it up slightly.

      The tops of the pedal knobs are just level with the front of the G so I can hit the G system front row switches with my to no problem without touching the pedals.






      Cool... It's hard to tell from the photo. I though the G was lower.
      • January 6, 2012
  • itchy
    Contributor - Level 1
    2012-01-06
    Maybe if a few of us users bounce some cool toneprints ideas off of each other, maybe tore and the gang would like one enough to whip one up? That is, until we can design our own...

    Idea no. 1: a ping pong style delay where you can crank the repeats down to zero, and only have the dry signal ping pong for a rotary style toneprint, maybe with a speed control?
    read more...
    0 1,098
    • itchy
      itchy Idea 2: a delay that has a pause in it, say you hit a note, get two echos then pauses for a sec then the delay comes back as triplets until the repeats fade out. With a control for the pause maybe..
      • January 5, 2012
  • MikeQuell
    Contributor - Level 1
    2012-01-05
    Hey guys and gals,

    I just got the Polytune from Amazon.com and it wont start. I've plugged it into my pedal board and the display wont illuminate. I know the power works because I've tried different pedals with the same cables. On one occasion I did have the display flash at me when unplugging the power and plugging it back in. I'm using a 9V power supply to send it power.

    - I've plugged power into the "input" section
    - Guitar cables are connected firmly into the input and output jacks
    - I've pressed the bypass switch multiple times

    Has this happened to anyone else? How often are these things defective?

    Thanks,

    Mike
    read more...
    0 3,176
    • MikeQuell
      Rapollo Mine has a power issue slightly similar, I'm sending it back to be replaced in a couple of days. It basically works and ceases to power at random times, including gigs -.-



      Tried using power adapters and batteries seperately and at the same time. It will load up briefly then immediately shut off, then maybe a few seconds later power up again then switch off. Almost as if it's not being fed enough power for actual use.



      Overall no idea whats wrong, I haven't found anybody else with this issue so I'll just get it replaced and hope all is good.



      The strange part is it only started happening after about 10 months of me using it.
      • January 6, 2012
    • MikeQuell
      MikeQuell I found out the issue with mine which was a total user error.



      DON'T USE A BALANCED (TRS) CABLE!



      For some reason I decided to swap out a cable after re-arranging my setup and the TRS cable worked with all of my pedals except the tuner. Long story short. Make sure you are using a guitar (TS) cable.
      • January 17, 2012
  • dci
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-01-05
    Hi,

    i have one problem. Last week i bought g-system. I connected straight to the amp (from GS output L mono to the amp input) and worked fine. On the a GS screen I see the singal is comming into the GS, but i do not hear any sound anymore from the amp. Last week worked fine, but now it doesn't.
    Where is the problem?

    Thanks, dci!
    read more...
    0 1,244
    • dci
      LanBuddha in Global Settings, check Output Level. hope it's that simple.
      • January 5, 2012
    • dci
      dci Thx, it's working now
      • January 6, 2012
  • nealpaul
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-01-05
    i run a tube screamer into the drive and straight to the amp. guitars are prs mccarty and 59 reissue LP. when i follow the manual (ie. turning on tube screamer), i start clipping at 4 but it doesn't at 3 so thats where i've set it. is anyone else have their input gain this low?
    read more...
    0 4,593
    • nealpaul
      nealpaul i'm now up to 11 without clipping - which is a result of going with a less aggressive tone with the tube screamer. i am at 1pm for all three tube screamer settings and taped down the controls. i found my foot changing the controls more than i realized. nothing like a big foot seems to sound a bit better with input gain around 13/14... think i've read where this isn't advised if it shows clipping? thoughts?



      and if you haven't loaded the thorn pedal board - do yourself a favor. i've found that going thru and listening to the youtube limited presets and then loading the ones i like (all manual but not that much time really compared to all the headaches ive seen with people attempting to download) has really helped me get some truly great tones and setups.



      I'm down to 3 presets in pedal mode is easily getting me thru a 36 song, 3 set night.



      and after reading where someone used their clean channel exclusively (and he had a fender supersonic which has a great sounding crunch ch) vice both channels, ive found a distortion setting (limited preset:dirty dry di setting-i think) to where only use the clean channel on my mesa 5:25. The dirty presetit sounds just as good , if not better with the eq settings provided, as my crunch channel.
      • January 10, 2012
  • damcka
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-01-05
    Hi all,

    I'm now starting to put the final equipment into my rack, but I think I may run into a problem.....

    So, in my rack I have a JMP-1, POD XT pro (rack pod), Nova Drive, and obviously the G....among other things. I'm thinking I'll put the pod in loop 2.

    I want to uise the G to control all of the equipment, so that I can use some clean patches from the Pod and some distorted ones from JMP-1....adding the ND wherever and whenever I like.

    Does anyone have clue how I would connect the midi cables in this instance??

    Ps I already have the JMP-1 and ND working via midi.....I just want to include the pod xt pro to my set up.

    Any suggetsions from users with experience of running 2x midi pre amps with the G would be much appreciated!!

    dave
    read more...
    0 4,951
    • damcka
    • damcka
      damcka Thanks man....



      does anyone think this could be achieved without the need for external devices??.........Surely i can't keep shelling out at this rate!!!!!!!!
      • January 5, 2012
    • damcka
      bucketbot If every device you use has a midi thru then yes just...... daisy chain them all...if not...then no!
      • January 5, 2012
    • damcka
      damcka I always thought midi through was the same data as midi out.....anyway, i'm going to have a go this weekend.



      from memory



      JMP-1 = midi in, out and thru



      Nova drive = midi in and out



      G system = midi in and out



      Pod Xt pro = Midi in and midi out
      • January 6, 2012
    • damcka
      bucketbot By my understanding no.

      Midi thru port will transmit exactly & ONLY the data rec'd at midi in with nothing added from that device.



      Mid out will ONLY transmit the data output from that particular device & will not re-transmit the data recd at midi in.



      But i'm no midi expert...that's just the way I have gleaned it to work.



      By your device listing I would say you will need something along the lines of what I suggested. :/



      However these can be had fairly cheap & once bought is obviously useful for any midi gear.
      • January 6, 2012
  • wuyang110
    Contributor - Level 1
    2012-01-04
    hi guys i'm the new for TC major 2 so please help me about how to use harmonizer..thank you very much
    0 1,131
  • paradoxdin
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-01-04
    Hello, My name is D'in, from Singapore. I used to use line 6 pod x3 live, and I probably think it as junk cos its sounds too digital ,until I heard the delays from TC , the built quality, so I am about to purchase Nova System, but I have worries and I hope you can answer my questions. I have 2 bands, One pop rock, the other is metal. I know the inbuilt overdrive/distortion is not going to work on the metal band, are there anyway to use it with my external pedals?
    Example: Presets 1~ Clean + reverb + slapback delay
    Presets 2 ~ External Distortion + NS Compression +NS Whammy
    Presets 3 ~ External Distortion + Delay (Which can spillover to either presets 1 and 2)

    I know the G system can do all these effects, but its too expensive and bulky for me.

    hope the users here can solve my problems, sorry if my english is bad.

    here's my playing with metal style http://youtu.be/26WfRox6Xa0

    and my pop music http://youtu.be/4g8C7QVNIN8
    read more...
    0 5,783
    • paradoxdin
      paradoxdin it is really tht hard?
      • January 5, 2012
    • paradoxdin
      paradoxdin i think either you or me are in the wrong page,hahaha.awesome
      • January 6, 2012
    • paradoxdin
      re hey there!

      what exactly is your question?!

      cheers
      • January 6, 2012
    • paradoxdin
      paradoxdin Hello, basically i need to loop(s) for my analog pedals, any way i can do that with the NS? G system is too ex and bulky for me. Thanks for helping!
      • January 6, 2012
    • paradoxdin
      re there are no loops for external pedals on the nova system. you would have to use any drive pedal in front of the ns. as far as i know, nova drive connected via midi would be the only way to include a drive pedal into a preset, if that is what you need!

      cheers
      • January 6, 2012
  • Colinboy
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-01-03
    Hi Guys

    Well ive hit my first obstacle with the new IB modified G system.I have followed Lairds white papers to the letter except when i come to page 32-33 hooking up the G with my amp.The amp is a Blackstar series one 200 head by the way
    I dont have any TRS-TRS cables only mono instrument cables and i dont have any of the ISO boxes that he mentions to prevent ground loops.All i did so far was connect a cable from the left output of the G directly to the amp fx return then another cable from the fx loop send to the insert return like the instruction say.When i take the amp off standby for the first connection and the second with the preamp back in the signal chain there is the same noise level for both which is very low and hardly noticeable being honest.
    When i plug the guitar in to the amp and take the amp off standby there is a very loud humming noise even when the guitar volume is turned off.Ive tried switching cables,taking my laptop out of the room and there is still the same noise.Ive also tried changing guitars just incase.I have two top quality musicman guitars both with dimarzio humbucker pickups.
    Any ideas on what could be wrong here?Its seems like the amp is fairly quiet but it must be the guitar?

    Thanks in advance for the advice as i know you guys are probably sick of us newbies coming in asking the same old questions.

    Cheers
    Colin
    read more...
    0 9,236
    • Colinboy
      Laird_Williams

      Colinboy wrote:

      Hi Guys



      Well ive hit my first obstacle with the new IB modified G system.I have followed Lairds white papers to the letter except when i come to page 32-33 hooking up the G with my amp.The amp is a Blackstar series one 200 head by the way

      I dont have any TRS-TRS cables only mono instrument cables and i dont have any of the ISO boxes that he mentions to prevent ground loops.All i did so far was connect a cable from the left output of the G directly to the amp fx return then another cable from the fx loop send to the insert return like the instruction say.When i take the amp off standby for the first connection and the second with the preamp back in the signal chain there is the same noise level for both which is very low and hardly noticeable being honest.

      When i plug the guitar in to the amp and take the amp off standby there is a very loud humming noise even when the guitar volume is turned off.Ive tried switching cables,taking my laptop out of the room and there is still the same noise.Ive also tried changing guitars just incase.I have two top quality musicman guitars both with dimarzio humbucker pickups.

      Any ideas on what could be wrong here?Its seems like the amp is fairly quiet but it must be the guitar?



      Thanks in advance for the advice as i know you guys are probably sick of us newbies coming in asking the same old questions.



      Cheers

      Colin


      And there is no noise in the amp with the guitar plugged in and no G-System in the loop?

      What happens when you have the noise and then touch the guitar strings?
      • January 3, 2012
    • Colinboy
      Colinboy

      Laird_Williams wrote:



      Colinboy wrote:

      Hi Guys



      Well ive hit my first obstacle with the new IB modified G system.I have followed Lairds white papers to the letter except when i come to page 32-33 hooking up the G with my amp.The amp is a Blackstar series one 200 head by the way

      I dont have any TRS-TRS cables only mono instrument cables and i dont have any of the ISO boxes that he mentions to prevent ground loops.All i did so far was connect a cable from the left output of the G directly to the amp fx return then another cable from the fx loop send to the insert return like the instruction say.When i take the amp off standby for the first connection and the second with the preamp back in the signal chain there is the same noise level for both which is very low and hardly noticeable being honest.

      When i plug the guitar in to the amp and take the amp off standby there is a very loud humming noise even when the guitar volume is turned off.Ive tried switching cables,taking my laptop out of the room and there is still the same noise.Ive also tried changing guitars just incase.I have two top quality musicman guitars both with dimarzio humbucker pickups.

      Any ideas on what could be wrong here?Its seems like the amp is fairly quiet but it must be the guitar?



      Thanks in advance for the advice as i know you guys are probably sick of us newbies coming in asking the same old questions.



      Cheers

      Colin


      And there is no noise in the amp with the guitar plugged in and no G-System in the loop?

      What happens when you have the noise and then touch the guitar strings?




      Thanks for the quick reply Laird.Yes there is aloud humming noise when i plug the guitar directly into the amp even with the volume pot turned down fully.There is no noise when the guitar is plugged directly into the amp with no G connected.When i turn up the guitar and pluck the strings then the guitar is perfectly audible but that humming noise is still there and ive tried two different guitars.Im plugging the guitar into the amp with a good quality 20ft planet waves instrument cable.
      • January 3, 2012
    • Colinboy
      Laird_Williams

      Colinboy wrote:



      Laird_Williams wrote:



      Colinboy wrote:

      Hi Guys



      Well ive hit my first obstacle with the new IB modified G system.I have followed Lairds white papers to the letter except when i come to page 32-33 hooking up the G with my amp.The amp is a Blackstar series one 200 head by the way

      I dont have any TRS-TRS cables only mono instrument cables and i dont have any of the ISO boxes that he mentions to prevent ground loops.All i did so far was connect a cable from the left output of the G directly to the amp fx return then another cable from the fx loop send to the insert return like the instruction say.When i take the amp off standby for the first connection and the second with the preamp back in the signal chain there is the same noise level for both which is very low and hardly noticeable being honest.

      When i plug the guitar in to the amp and take the amp off standby there is a very loud humming noise even when the guitar volume is turned off.Ive tried switching cables,taking my laptop out of the room and there is still the same noise.Ive also tried changing guitars just incase.I have two top quality musicman guitars both with dimarzio humbucker pickups.

      Any ideas on what could be wrong here?Its seems like the amp is fairly quiet but it must be the guitar?



      Thanks in advance for the advice as i know you guys are probably sick of us newbies coming in asking the same old questions.



      Cheers

      Colin


      And there is no noise in the amp with the guitar plugged in and no G-System in the loop?

      What happens when you have the noise and then touch the guitar strings?




      Thanks for the quick reply Laird.Yes there is aloud humming noise when i plug the guitar directly into the amp even with the volume pot turned down fully.There is no noise when the guitar is plugged directly into the amp with no G connected.When i turn up the guitar and pluck the strings then the guitar is perfectly audible but that humming noise is still there and ive tried two different guitars.Im plugging the guitar into the amp with a good quality 20ft planet waves instrument cable.


      This is going to sound weird - I need you to just mute the strings with your hand. Don't "pluck" or play - just be sure your hands are touching the strings and then hold them there. Does the noise level change?
      • January 3, 2012
    • Colinboy
      Colinboy Laird really appreciate your help.i will put my hands on d strings like you said and report back to you tomorrow.need to get sleep now as I have work early in d morning.

      Thanks

      Colin
      • January 3, 2012
    • Colinboy
      krubel54 honestly if you want to get the G up and REALLY rocking you're not gonna be sleeping much and be ready to spend at least a couple hundred bucks on MORE gear to get the beast under control! That's what it was like for me. I'm broke as a joke, but my tone's getting there... =D
      • January 3, 2012
  • krismael
    Contributor - Level 1
    2012-01-03
    hello,

    how many pedals (that runs on a 9v battery) you can power with the output comin out of the Polytune?
    0 1,701
    • krismael
      Laird_Williams

      krismael wrote:

      hello,



      how many pedals (that runs on a 9v battery) you can power with the output comin out of the Polytune?


      Not many - and it will kill a battery - but if you power it from a DC power supply, it will pass 9V power to other devices quite nicely.
      • January 3, 2012
Go to page