Statistics

196,504 members
67,106 posts
  • New
    2020-11-23

How would you set up the compression on this channel for speaking voice that sometimes get pretty loud?

i dont really understand how this one work (picture)

0 13
    • Christer Hiort
      Dave Morrison The two basic controls you should focus on are Threshold and Ratio. How you set them depends on what you're doing. You could maybe set the Threshold at -20 with a ratio of 2 for some gentle compression during the louder moments. The threshold controls the level where the compressor starts to work. The graph will give you an idea how it works. If you want the clamp down just the loudest section, you could run it more like a limiter. Try the threshold at -10 and the ration at 6 (or more). Be aware that compression in floor monitors can increase the risk of feedback ( it's less likely when your just limiting with the threshold set to -10 or -5). Use the Gain control to "make up" the gain you lose when the compressor is on (ie. make them the same when it "Active" and then bypassed)
      • Nov 22
    • Christer Hiort
      KevinMaxwell A loud speaking voice isn’t really a problem at all unless they are distorting the input. If someone is speaking loud you can just turn down the channel or turn down the trim.

There were some events that I have done where I always had a finger on the channel (fader) of the persons speaking. Actually that was most events because they were high enough profile that it had to be perfect or as close to perfect as is humanly possible. And I usually had a compressor on that vocal subgroup to even out the vocal mics and it was a DBX160 usually set to a 3:1 compression ratio. I would strongly suggest that on the X32 in the channel compressor under the gain envelope (on the page that you included) that you select “Auto Time”. This automatically sets the attack, release and hold times to settings that work better for most things that you want to compress, unless you are looking for some other compression behavior then what I consider normal.

The challenge is if you have a person that is speaking inconsistently. If they go from a whisper to shouting that can be challenging. That style of speaking is usually what the fiery preacher might do and the challenge there is they really want to hear themselves get REALLY LOUD. One way to deal with that if the preacher isn’t a pain about it is to use the channel compressor at about 4:1 and set the threshold to where it is working a little bit all of the time. And set the knee to 5, this makes the point at which the compressor is actually triggering to be smoother and not too sudden.

The use a second compressor to be closer to limiting that is set to keep the really loud parts under control. You can do that by either inserting another compressor on that channel or send that channel to a Mix Bus (and route that Mix Bus to the L/R and make sure the channel isn’t going directly to the L/R) and use the Mix Bus compressor to a more aggressive compression ratio like 10:1 and set the threshold on that to only trigger when the preacher gets really loud. I actually never use the L/R as my output to the house speakers I always use a Matrix outputs. Usually because I have more speakers in the system then just Left and Right. But even if I am using just Left and Right speakers I still use the Matrix outs.
      • Mon at 8:39 AM
  • New
    2020-11-23

I want to connect a laptop to play music over the system.

How do I route these AUX inputs as input for Channel 1 so we can control the volume out to the FOH ?

(The reason I want it to channel 1 is so the sound person can have it on the fist page on the iPad)

read more...
    0 10
    • Christer Hiort
      Paul Vannatto Assign Aux 5 to channel 1 strip source and Aux 6 to channel 2 strip source. Of course if you change to Mixing Station, you won't have to do this.
      • Nov 22
      • X32 - Routing AUX in (RCA connections to Channel Strip)
        Christer Hiort Mixing Station ?
        • Nov 22
        Paul Vannatto Mixing Station is a 3rd party app that have been used by many of us since 2013 on our android tablet. About a year ago, the developer ported it to the iPad/iPhone (as well as PC and Mac). It is far superior in functionality and features from the official app.
        • Mon at 4:31 AM
    • Christer Hiort
      - mjk - Also, note that anything plugged into the 6.5mm TRS jack will break the connection to the RCA I/O jacks. I was hoping I could plug 2 source/destination devices into channels 5 and 6, but it's either/or.
      • Nov 22
        Christer Hiort I suspected that, so if 5-6 RCA is used , 5-6 TRS can not be used and vice versa.
        • ·
        • Nov 22
        - mjk - Right. I don't know if it helps, but, if you leave the RCA plugs in the jacks, they get cut off by the 6.5mm TRS switching jack as soon as you insert a cable. You don't have to actually remove them. But in order to get the RCA jacks to activate, you do have to remove the TRS plugs.
        • Mon at 2:41 AM
  • New
    2020-11-18

Hey! I have a Midas MR18 digital mixer (similar to the Behringer XR18) and want to connect from its (balanced XLR, mono) AUX outputs to the (unbalanced TRS, stereo) AUX inputs of a Behringer HA6000 headphone amplifier.

Depending on the number of participants (mix-minus feeds for each), I would like to support the following two scenarios:

1. stereo (L/R) headphone monitoring up to 4 people (Midas MR18 limit)
    2. mono (R+R) headphone monitoring up to 6 people (Behringer HA6000 limit)

To be sure not to damage anything, I'd rather not start experimenting with different cables. Therefore, I have two questions (and a follow-up question, depending on the answer of the 2nd question):

Question 1: Would a 2x XLR female to TRS male cable (wired as illustrated below) work for stereo (L/R) headphone monitoring (scenario 1), connecting (paired) MR18 AUX outputs to single AUX inputs of the HA6000?

This would accomodate 3 headphones (AUX outputs only), or even 4 headphones (if I use the MR18 Main L/R outputs as well), to enjoy stereo monitoring.

Question 2: Would the same cable also work for mono (R+R) headphone monitoring (scenario 2), when simply not connecting one of the XLR ends and pressing the "MONO R" button on the HA6000, or is leaving the ring (or tip) signal of the TRS cable "floating" like this a really bad idea?

This would accomodate 6 headphones to be able to monitor in mono (mirrored).

Question 2b: In case using the same cable for scenario 2 is not recommended (see above, question 2), would an XLR female to TS male cable be advised?

Thanks a lot for any help with this! I've been searching the internet for hours already, but could not find any definitive answers to these questions. It seems not a straightforward thing, wanting to connect the MR18 to a HA6000, or similar device with unbalanced stereo inputs.

Note: I currently also own the Behringer AMP800 (which has balanced inputs and allows the use of regular XLR to TRS cables) but I want more connectivity options. Unfortunately, it seems headphone amps with more balanced inputs are not that common.

read more...
    0 35
    • Tom Cosaert
      Rex Beckett Hi Tom, your cable wiring is correct for dual XLR-F to TRS stereo. This should also work for mono if the HA6000 is switched appropriately.
      • Nov 18
      • Midas MR18 AUX Outputs to Behringer HA6000 AUX Inputs
        Tom Cosaert Thanks for the confirmation. Greatly appreciated!
        • ·
        • Nov 18
  • New
    2020-11-17

Hello,
    I recently upgraded from the XR12 to the XR18. Is there a way to easily record to a USB stick if I use an adapter like this?

Thank you.

0 14
    • Matthew z
      Dave Morrison No. You have to connect it to a host device like a computer, tablet, or phone.
      • Nov 16
    • Matthew z
      Matthew z Ah! That's so dumb! That's one of the best features of the xr12.
      Ok. let's say I record it to a phone. What would be the simplest way to do that?
      • Nov 16
    • Matthew z
      Matthew z I'm just looking to record a simple stereo or even mono. To documents live performances/practices. Don't need multi track necessarily.
      • Nov 16
    • Matthew z
      Dave Morrison Your phone needs to have the ability to use a USB class compliant audio device and your software needs to be able see that driver. iPhones can with the Apple Camera Connection Kit. I don't know with any Android phones. I'm sure other users will give you some ideas.
      The X32 can do both computer connection and flash drive (and SD card) recording. Of course the only model that is even close in size to the XR18 is the X32 Rack.
      • Nov 17
    • Matthew z
      Pedro Rodrigues Hi Matthew z, please be aware that the XR18 allows multitrack recording therefore if you wish to use the USB connection you will have to do it exclusively by connecting to a computer and using a DAW that will allow you to input any kind of track such as stereo or multitrack showing to be more versatile and at the same time providing the user with more tools. Thank you
      • Nov 17
  • New
    2020-11-16

WING Firmware UpdateVersion 1.09

The console 1.09 firmware update offers some functional improvements and new features. The highlights of this update are the new Midas Sub Monster Effect and new assignment screens for DCAs and MGRP. Besides a new Tab-View, the routing screens provide new features like indication of all connected AES50 and StageCONNECT devices. This update also offers some UI improvements like PRE-Tap indication on the channel home screen or metering for the WING Live Recorder/Player and some general Bug fixes.

It is sensible to periodically check for new firmware updates. New features and bug fixes will be released regularly. Our development team is eager to react to customer suggestions and to amaze you with improvements and new features. Visit the WING product page on behringer.com to download the latest firmware, install the update and enjoy the full potential of your WING.

This new WING Firmware version contains: New Features

• Quick channel select from touchscreen (touch the channel number in the upper left corner)
    • PRE-Tap indication and setup on channel home screen
    • Midas Sub Monster Effect
    • Optional channel metering for WING Live Recorder/Player• Indication of connected AES50 and StageCONNECT devices (ROUTING)
    • Enable DCAs to control monitor levels (rename DCA to ‘MON A’, ‘MON B’, or ‘MON LVL’ (both))
    • Advanced Source-Scope for channel presets
    • Tap-View for customization, naming and tags
    • Delay for 48V switch (hold for on/off)
    • New DCA/MGRP assignment screen (touch assignment overview)
    • Option to disable jogwheel during playback

Improvements

• New StageCONNECT configuration (ROUTING)
    • Indication of available USB Streams (ROUTING)
    • Fixed issue with fader recall in SoF Mode
    • Fixed low frequency distortion wth SOUL 9000 Gate and EVEN 88 GATE
    • Immediate switch for different USB Audio configurations (No enumeration on boot)
    • Fixed routing enable switch

Update Process:

1. Connect a USB cable to the rear panel USB port and to your computer.
    2. Either hold the blank button on the main display during power-up or open the SETUP/GENERAL Edit page in order to enable WING OS.
    3. A drive icon will appear on your computer, like connecting a flash drive or external hard drive. Double click the drive to open.
    4. Extract the firmware zip file and drag/copy the new firmware file into the WING OS drive.
    5. After copying is completed, please eject the WING OS drive from your computer.
    6. WING should reboot automatically a few seconds after ejecting the drive. If it doesn’t, please power cycle the console, and verify the correct firmware version on the left of the SETUP/GENERAL screen.

Alternative Update from USB Stick:

1. Download any future FW updates from behringer.com and store it on a FAT formatted USB stick.
    2. Connect the USB stick to the top panel USB port of WING.
    3. Open the SETUP/GENERAL page and tap on the UPDATE icon on the left of the screen.
    4. A file browser will appear on the screen, and you can navigate to where the fw update is located.
    5. Select the correct FW update file and tap on UPDATE.
    6. After installing the update is completed, you will be prompted to reboot the console.
    7. The console can be rebooted by power cycling, or by selecting SETUP/SHUTDOWN and holding the SETUP button while pressing the HOME button.
    8. Verify the update was successful by comparing the firmware version on the left of the SETUP/GENERAL screen.

Note, WING will always boot using the most recent firmware in the OS drive. However, it is recommended to delete older firmware files or move them to a subfolder

Download here: https://www.behringer.com/behringer/product?modelCode=P0BV2

read more...
    0 555
  • New
    2020-11-13

Midas DP48 Firmware UpdateVersion 1.7  

This update introduces a wealth of new features that help simplifying setup, improve overview and provide new means of communication for all live performance and studio production applications, where musicians are in control of their own monitor mix.Midas is constantly adding new features and making enhancements to this extremely stable ecosystem of digital mixers, I/O boxes and personal monitoring mixers. This means you always experience the best possible performance. Visit midasconsoles.com and check for updates of your products regularly. Download the latest firmware for DP48 and HUB4, and make sure the latest versions will be installed to both.

New Features 1.7

• Mirror Mix A on Mix B output in singlemode.

Improvements
    • Fix for saving master parameters if powering off while remote controlling.
    • Fix for stereo link assignment and indication on booth channels in a pair, while working remotely.
    • Fix for passing on wrong AES50 information of connected devices in a chain.
    • Fix for pre fader reverb send when using MY GROUP in singlemode.
    • Refresh assign page after being remote controlled by master.

Firmware Update Process

1. Download the update file from midasconsoles.com and extract the archive
    2. Copy the dp48m_xx.upd file onto an SD card, into the following path inside SD-root \DP48M
    3. Make sure the DP48 is turned off
    4. Insert the SD card into the SD card slot on the rear panel of your DP48
    5. Hold the SETUP button while turning the DP48 on
    6. Wait until the update procedure is completed and the DP48 has booted again
    7. Do not turn off the device and do not remove the SD card before the update has finished
    8. The device will boot automatically and briefly indicate the new firmware version

Note: SD Card must be FAT or FAT32 formatted for use in DP48Visit midasconsoles.com and check for updates of your products regularly.

Download: https://www.midasconsoles.com/product.html?modelCode=P0BMX

read more...
    1 146
    • Midas Midas
      MarcVangrunderb Is it possible to connect a DL153 stagebox on the AES50 thru port of a DP48. I have two DL153 stage boxes connected to my X32 rack and would like to know how I can integrade the DP48.
      • Mon at 4:29 AM
    • Midas Midas
      Paul Vannatto Hi Mark, I would suggest you also get the Hub4 and use the AES50 Thru port to connect the DL153.
      • Mon at 6:01 AM
      • DP48 Firmware Update 1.7 Now Available!
        MarcVangrunderb Hi Paul,
        Do you want to say that it only works with the Hub4 or can it also be done via the thru port of the DP48?
        • Mon at 6:16 AM
        Paul Vannatto Well, it will "sort of" work. The problem will be the upstream (stagebox to console) channels, since the first AES50 channels (banks of 8) will be used by the DP48. The Hub4 has a switch to setup for the DP48 return OR pass thru the AES50 signals from the Thru port.

Here is a link to the Hub4 Routing Diagram
        https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HJJuoNh3QE7iK-daR7PFiV7mvytSEeSM/view?usp=sharing
        • Mon at 6:49 AM
        Paul Vannatto The downstream signals should work fine, since the DP48 Thru port is meant to be used for cascading DP48 providing all 48 AES50 channels to subsequent DP48 and therefore the same to the stageboxes. It is the upstream signals that are the issue.
        • Mon at 6:53 AM
        MarcVangrunderb OK thanks. That's clear. Is the latest firmware of the HUB4 provided to work with Pro stageboxes like the DL153 because I always assumed this was not compatible?
        • Mon at 7:18 AM
        Paul Vannatto Yes as long as the stagebox is set for 48K samplerate (not 96K), the latest Hub4/DP48 firmware is designed to work with the Midas stageboxes.
        • ·
        • Mon at 7:28 AM
    • Midas Midas
      Tatsuya Nakamura I am a DP48 user.
      Used in v1.7

I'm curious about something.
      If you press the group button, then the PAN button, and when the display is in PAN, press the MIX A/B button, the display changes to Reverb.

When I press the group button again afterwards, it is very difficult to use, as it keeps moving to the Reverb button instead of going back to the PAN button.

The behavior of the MIX A/B button when you were pressing the PAN button just before is described as "The MIX A/B display appears in the lower right corner of the screen with the screen in the normal 1-12 display state. Or, "The screen returns to the state in which the PAN button was pressed. or "return to the state where the PAN button is pressed"?

As it is now, the response is not good by the time you try to adjust the PAN.
      I hope the operation response will improve in the future.
      • 5 hours ago
        Paul Vannatto Hi Tatsuya, I'm not sure where you got that last explanation. But it is no longer correct. It might have been that way a few firmware revisions ago. The Mix A/B button changes the screen to the overall mix (A or B) settings (limiter, reverb, etc.). When you select a group, then the pan, you will have both Pan A and Pan B. To change between them press the Select/Edit encoder. When you want to return to the group list on the screen, press the same group button you initially pressed.

Btw, a new firmware (1.8) has just been released.
        • 3 hours ago
  • 2020-11-10
    With two Midas microphone preamps and internal 32 VFP-Processing, FLOW 8 joins the X32, X-Air and WING series of
    digital mixing consoles.

Whether you’re a singer, songwriter, small ensemble, teacher or presenter, gamer, podcaster or video blogger, producing at home or playing live in bars, café houses or in the streets, when practicing or performing… FLOW 8 will ensure impeccable audio quality and help you create amazing sound with ease.

Best of all – FLOW 8 Digital Mixers are available in our partner stores around the globe as of today!
    All for an amazing list price of 199 Euro.

read more...
    0 30
  • New
    2020-11-05

2 consoles

0 71
    • Milton Koprosky
      Gary Higgins Do you mean which is preferred...I'm more proficient on the M32 (which I love) but I think the Wing may be my #1 choice, it sounds amazing and gets better with each new firmware update. It is a GREAT mixer IMO. You can't go wrong with either though. The Wing uses the same preamps (Midas Pro) and outputs as the M32.
      • Nov 5
      • M32 or Wing?
        Milton Koprosky OK Gary, excuse-me... I from Brazil and I don't understand "IMO". Do you help me?
        • Nov 5
      • M32 or Wing?
        Gary Higgins Sorry, it means “in my opinion”
        • ·
        • Nov 5
      • M32 or Wing?
        Milton Koprosky Oh, ok Gary... thank you very much!!!?
        • Nov 5
    • Milton Koprosky
      David Knighton Really depends what you're up against. WING has tons of input capabilities compared to the M32. But then again, M32 has a full compliment of inputs right on the back. You'll need I/O to supplement the WING. I'd say both have their niche, really depends what kind of production you're running on any given day.
      • Nov 5
      • M32 or Wing?
        Milton Koprosky okay, depends of the job, 32 or 48 chanels...
        • Nov 5
      • M32 or Wing?
        David Knighton The 48 channels on the WING are stereo capable though. This translates to 96 possible inputs. For inputs like stereo keys, stereo playback, stereo guitar mic, stereo audience mics, etc. this is where the WING shines.
        • ·
        • Nov 6
    • Milton Koprosky
      Kurtis Walsh Really depends on the event. The M32 is great for hitting the ground running without a show file. It has a well defined work flow and easy to get from and initialized console to a working show file. The Wing on the other hand can take a bit more time to setup, but has so much flexibility with the source -> channel -> layout / bank design. I really love both these consoles. The M32 was my go to console, however now that the Wing has multi-band compressor my M32 is back in the road case (for now). You can't go wrong with either of these consoles. In the end it really comes down to personal preference. If you like to have a defined work flow the M32 is for you. M32 is also great for users who are not familiar with this console as it is very self explanatory. The Wing is very flexible, however that flexibility comes at a cost. It is not as easy to walk up to a Wing as a noob and get going with it. However I must say the later firmware releases for the Wing are improving this.
      • Nov 5
    • Milton Koprosky
      Paul Vannatto Why not get one of each :)
      • Nov 5
      • M32 or Wing?
        Milton Koprosky but if you would choose any, Which one would you choose?
        • Nov 6
      • M32 or Wing?
        Paul Vannatto As others have mentioned, it depends on the events you are planning on supporting with sound. The majority of events I do, I use my 2 X32 Racks that I've had for over 6 years, since it provides a much quicker setup. The events I had lined up this year for the Wing were cancelled due to the pandemic. Since March I've done 3 events: one with my X32 Racks and 2 with my little MR12.
        • ·
        • Nov 6
      • M32 or Wing?
        Milton Koprosky Great Paul!!!
        • Nov 9
    • Milton Koprosky
      - mjk - I'm waiting for WINGReaperAutoMate :)
      • Nov 5
  • New
    2020-10-30

Hey guys,

The far left scribble strip on my new WING console is not working. The backlight is showing but I cannot see channels names and input numbers. It looks like a bad cable to me. Does anyone have any insight to this or a way to easily check to see if it's a bad connection on the inside?

read more...
    0 11
    • Dwight Theaker
      Kyle Johnson Hi Dwight, Kyle here with Music Tribe. I replied to your case that you submitted. I recommend that you do not try to open the console. This could result in damage or voiding of the manufacturers warranty.
      • Oct 30
  • New
    2020-10-29

Hi everyone,

I have a Behringer x32 Compact mixer with two SD16 units but have always been a bit overwhelmed by it's possibilities. The x32 mixer is connected to my PC running Ableton live via the X-USB interface.

When making music in Ableton, in order to achieve a tight synchronisation between the software & the hardware part of my home studio I have purchased the E-RM Multiclock.
    The multiclock uses audio sync that is being generated by a VST/UA plugin that comes with the Multiclock and is loaded in Ableton on a midi channel. The audio signal being generated in Ableton needs to be routed through my X32 compact mixer and into the audio input on the E-RM Mulitclock itself.

On my x32 I have the Aux Out 3 available that I would like to use to send the audio from Ableton out to the E-RM MUlticlock. I have several channels that are not in use on the x32, for instance channel 30 that I selected for the VST to send it's audio signal to (see below - screenshot 1).

So what I'm trying to achieve: send the audio signal generated by the VST in Ableton out to channel 30 of the x32 and forward that to the Aux Output #3. From there I will pick-up the signal with a jack cable and connect it physically to the E-RM Multiclock input.

I tried to configure the aux out 3 as pictured (see below - screenshot 2) to achieve this but the audio signal is not reaching aux out #3.

Can anyone help me to figure out which setting I need to change to route the audio signal successfully?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help.

Patrick

read more...
    0 20
    • Patrick Esch
      Kyle Johnson Hi Patrick, Kyle with Music Tribe here. The Aux Out routing you have set will work as long as the signal is actually getting to Channel 30 on the mixer. Are you seeing the signal on channel 30? It could be input routing that is giving you trouble. On the Routing>Home menu, make sure the 4th column is set to Card 25-32 in order to get the signal from USB Out 30 from Ableton into Channel 30 on the X32. Then Select channel 30, and open the Home>Config page to ensure the Channel source is Card 30.
      • Oct 29
    • Patrick Esch
      Paul Vannatto Hi Patrick, in addition to what Kyle mentioned, that X32 Routing, Aux Out screenshot seems to be an older firmware screen (late 2.x or early 3.x firmware). There was a bugfix regarding the Direct Outs in one of the firmware updates, but don't recall when. I would suggest you update your firmware to the latest (4.03).
      • Oct 29
    • Patrick Esch
      Patrick Esch Hi Kyle & Paul, thank you both for your feedback. I do not think channel 30 is reaching the mixer so will be looking into the input routing like you suggested. I also checked my firware version: it's 3.07 atm so will be updating that as well. Once these are done I will report back any findings or questions.
      • Oct 29
    • Patrick Esch
      Patrick Esch Hi Kyle & Paul, thanks to your tips I now have a clock signal coming out of the Aux Out 3. Thanks a lot!
      • Oct 31
      • How to route audio from Ableton to the x32 Aux Out 3 channel?
        Paul Vannatto Good to hear that you got it working Patrick
        • Nov 1
Go to page