Behringer

Brand

Behringer

241,813 members
118,124 posts
  • GaryHiggins
    Superhero - Level 1
    2019-11-17

While looking about the user in/out options for use in the 'card out' column, It almost looks to me like the ability to overdub or replace tracks with the X-Live card might be an unintended (or maybe intended) perk with the new 4.0 firmware? See the attached user out patch. Does this not make that user bank of 8 card outs only actually replace local track 6? Card out 1-8 has user outputs 1-8 which is setup for card playback tracks 1-5, 7 and 8 and local input ch 6 as the assignment. Wouldn't this replace 1-5,7 and 8 with a copy of themselves adding (replacing) only the material on local input 6 to track 6?Screen Shot 2019-11-17 at 6.44.18 AM.png

read more...
    0 275
    • GaryHiggins
      RexBeckett

@GaryHiggins 

You're right, Gary, it looks as though it could work. I'm sure you'll find the time to give it a whirl...

• November 16, 2019
    • GaryHiggins
      OliverStein

It will not work! You can't playback from the card while you record. When you hit record every time a new session will be created.

• November 17, 2019
    • GaryHiggins
      GaryHiggins

@OliverStein  Thanks. Yup, I was able to give it a shot and it appears to be a no go. Too good to be true and a big case of wishful thinking I guess! You can seperate the USB card playback and the SD section record (or the reverse) but not SD play and SD record within itself. It's one or the other, once in record as you said it's a new session overwritting all tracks not selective tracks, routing be damned. I guess it's back to the old SD to DAW and DAW to SD with track replacement for me. A tad more tedious but not a total deal breaker.

• November 17, 2019
  • trunkfunk
    Contributor - Level 1
    2019-11-16

I'm confused how the Slew rate limiter works or if it's working correctly. In theory, adding a slew rate limit to a square wave can turn it into a triangle wave. If I try that as a simple patch OSC 1 (w/ square wave) into SLEW IN and SLEW OUT into DELAY IN, the slightest turn on the knob kills the sound.

Now, the manual says the slew rate controls is from 1ms to 3s.  So maybe that explans it.  Makes it seem like not the best for audio ranges?  If this is the case, then what is a good way to use this?

read more...
    0 329
    • trunkfunk
      TC-Mike

Think of slew function rather as a lag processor/signal smoother that is most commonly used eg for playing gliding pitches (glide time /portamento ) when playing overlapping notes, so instead of of the CV for pitch changes to new value it takes the slew time to reach new parameter value. it can also be used to turn a Gate signal into a very simple envelope.

slew limiter.png

• November 17, 2019
  • wclangenberg
    Contributor - Level 1
    2019-11-16

Just wondering if anybody else has had issues with the transpose switch on the Odyssey?  Mine works in the upper and middle position, but there is no difference between middle and lower positions.  Not sure if this is user error or if the switch is faulty.  It worked when I first got it, then intermittently and now not at all.  Thanks 

read more...
    0 122
  • JimIngraham
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-11-16

Just updated my board and I use the iQ network system and I can't find the page to set it up.

Nevermind...I found it...under P16

0 229
  • Gerrard
    Contributor - Level 1
    2019-11-16

Hello all,

I'm relatively new to synths, and I'm trying to learn from a very basic intro level. Been happily lost for hours this past week since the Odyssey arrived.

I'm not sure if I've experienced an issue with the Odyssey or my lack of knowledge. When I switch the Audio to LF Keyboard Off, I get pulsed clicks and find it difficult to generate a tone. From the manual, 'adust using the VCO-1 frequency faders'. I just can't seem to get rid of the clicks even if I manage, with luck, to generate a tone.

Is this just part of what's to be found at these frequencies, and something to play around with?

Very grateful for any info or knowledge shared, as basic as you like. Thanks, Gerrard

IMG_20191116_120419755.jpg

read more...
    0 245
    • Gerrard
      Starsky

When VCO 1 is in LF mode (low frequency) it's acting like an LFO, so it will only produce very slow clicking - it's not meant to be heard in isolation but used as a modulation source.

If you're really new to the synth this might prove useful.  It's a walkthrough of the Odyssey for beginners I made a couple of months ago.  I can't ost the lionk but if you google starsky carr ARP ODYSSEY:Tutorial and Demo you should be able to find it.

Hope that helps

• November 16, 2019
  • McLoud
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-11-16

Got my Crave a few hours ago and i´m experiencing ghost trigs on rest steps.

Means even if you do a pattern with only rest steps, you get tiny trigs which trigger the envelope. 

Makes the sequencer useless for programming the simplest patterns. 

On top the Mix (Noise / External Audio) is bleeding into the signal path. Both, external audio an noise will be in the signal path slightly, even when turned of. 

I´m on 1.0.6 and somehow i think this could be solved though firmware ... 

I´ve done a ticket to get a proper answer for this trig issue. 

read more...
    0 347
    • McLoud
      Edi4

I'm in the exact same situation!

Ghost triggers under 1.06 on the rest steps. I have two Craves, both have the same issue.

Please help!

• November 16, 2019
    • McLoud
      microbug

Hi there,

I reported that as bug already, although I returned my Crave yesterday.

You should do that too, since lowering decay time decreases the effect as Eduard said in the facebook group.

• November 18, 2019
    • McLoud
      McLoud

• November 19, 2019
  • RayMontreal
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-11-15

GET DELAY SYNCED TO TEMPO ON MY MIDAS MR18 and other *R CONSOLES. This should work on XR!

Today I stubbornly learned Max 4 Live basics in order to send sync to the TIME knob of my Midas FX 2 rack, have a look. I'm sharing the file here, edit it, make it better, share the better one, just please keep it FREE.

This device is as simple as : 

1- Drag it into Ableton

2 - Set your mixer's IP

3 - Set FX rack location

4- Set TIME knob location

5- Hit Start.

When I learn more about Max4Live I plan to have a sleek interface to input all three but for now I wanted to share it and get your comments, be gentle this is my very first work in "coding".

Enjoy!

How I did it:

1. Get bpm from Ableton
    2. Convert to miliseconds using: 60 000 / bpm=ms 
    3. Convert ms to OSC Value between 0 and 1 to spread from 1ms to 3000 ms with this formula:  ms/3000
    4. Get FX Rack location ( fx 1,2,3,4) 
    5. Get TIME knob parameter location (par/01 02 03 04 05 or 06)
    6. Get IP of the MR18 mixer and OSC port.
    7. Assemble an OSC message using:  fx par OSC Value:  ex:   /fx2/01 0.3333
    8. send it via OSC anytime the tempo changes
    9. Keep Mixer alive by sending regular osc messages to it.

PS: The port might differ on XR18 (10023)?, check your manual and have fun!

PS #2 send me a message to get the M4L Device Smiley Happy

read more...
    0 139
  • DennisMilsom
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-11-15

I just want to make a separate thread to thank Rex Becket for all his invaluable help over the past days. He showed a lot of patience and wrote very clear tips and instructions on how to get started on this beast (XR16).

It is without a doubt, without that help, I'd still be kicking the walls, yelling at the screen and all manner of other things hahaha!

Rex, much MUCH appreciated, and if I could hit the kudos tab 100 times I would

Dennis

read more...
    2 233
    • DennisMilsom
      RexBeckett

@DennisMilsom 

Thanks for the kind words, Dennis.

It's a shame all our exchanges were not in the same thread. It would have made a handy reference for other new XR users. 

If it makes you feel any better about your trials over the last few day, you have gone through the same process as most people do when first moving from analogue mixers to a digital one - just a lot quicker. The main stumbling blocks are: Network settings; Control layers; Effects and Routing. These things are quite different from usual analogue practice. The good news is that most digital mixers follow similar concepts.

• November 15, 2019
    • DennisMilsom
      KenMitchell

@RexBeckett , 

Sounds like we may have the major topics for an updated tutorial series?  I wonder if we can get Phil Gates to do them for us, although it looks like he's relocated from LA to Switzerland now?

I'm going to brainstorm with my colleagues on Monday regarding "Networking for Musicians". 

Ken

• November 16, 2019
    • DennisMilsom
      RexBeckett

@KenMitchell wrote:

@RexBeckett , 

Sounds like we may have the major topics for an updated tutorial series?  I wonder if we can get Phil Gates to do them for us, although it looks like he's relocated from LA to Switzerland now?

I'm going to brainstorm with my colleagues on Monday regarding "Networking for Musicians". 

Ken

@KenMitchell 

Yes - you can't do much with today's technology in any field without a basic grasp of networking. I used to run courses on it for projectionists when Digital Cinema first hit the streets. It generally took practical workshops to get the concepts to stick.

• November 16, 2019
    • DennisMilsom
      KenMitchell

@RexBeckett ,

Agreed.  One of my colleagues already replied that we should consider scenario based tutorials with suggested setup "recipes".  He went on to say that it might be a good idea to set up a GNS3 test environment online somewhere for people to try out. 

Ken

• November 16, 2019
    • DennisMilsom
      DennisMilsom

@RexBeckett  Rex, when/if I get time I am going to try and pull all the info from my threads re this whole getting started thing, and collate them into some sort of understandable reading order!

Dennis

• November 16, 2019
  • Keyos
    Contributor - Level 1
    2019-11-15

Hi, I was trying lot of ways, but still don't know.

How to sync LFO to external MIDI clock, or at least sequencer tempo on Behringer Crave?

0 707
    • Keyos
      NilsG

Hi Keyos,

AFAIK, you can´t sync the LFO. However, you can use the "assign" patch point as a second LFO. See page 41 in the quick start guide.

• November 15, 2019
  • DennisMilsom
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-11-15

1. Can a different setting on one effect be used on monitor and main? IE having EQ as effect 4, but having a different setting for main and monitor - or does the effect set (and settings) for #4 apply to BOTH main and monitor?

2. I am trying to get my head around how the whole send to efx works here - I looked at some tutorials and think I followed them, BUT - under FX main tab the FX sliders (bottom right) seem to have little affect, unless the slider (far right is activated) and further, I am not seeing any signal from the channel into the four grouped sliders (bottom right)...if I start turning these up I get feedback (heaps!) but ther is still no signal LED action.

3. At this stage all I amd wanting to do is get PEQ over the main, and a separate one over the monitor.

4. Why is there only one Aux slider, when the XR16 has 4 AUX outs?

OK, that's about all for now - I am hoping any replies will lead me to further questions...I mean, I understand how an analogue desk works, but these digital sends and returns and how you actually do it is doing me in at the moment hahaha!

read more...
    0 226
    • DennisMilsom
      RexBeckett

@DennisMilsom 

Hi Dennis.

1. Can a different setting on one effect be used on monitor and main? IE having EQ as effect 4, but having a different setting for main and monitor - or does the effect set (and settings) for #4 apply to BOTH main and monitor?

Each of the four FX slots (FX1 .. FX4) can only have one configuration. In Send/Return mode, each slot can be fed from multiple channels. In Insert mode, each slot can be inserted into one stereo or two mono channels/buses.

2. I am trying to get my head around how the whole send to efx works here - I looked at some tutorials and think I followed them, BUT - under FX main tab the FX sliders (bottom right) seem to have little affect, unless the slider (far right is activated) and further, I am not seeing any signal from the channel into the four grouped sliders (bottom right)...if I start turning these up I get feedback (heaps!) but ther is still no signal LED action.

When you select the FX Send buses by clicking on the FX1 .. FX4 buttons, the channel faders become sends to that FX bus. This is called Sends-on-Faders (SoF). This allows you to set which channels feed the FX Send bus. If you raise any of the FX Return faders, you can create a digital feedback loop - not recommended. In expert hands it is possible the use this to serialize effects. If in doubt, avoid it. The far right fader in the SoF mode is the FX Send Master - which controls the overall level of the mix send to the FX slot.

3. At this stage all I amd wanting to do is get PEQ over the main, and a separate one over the monitor.

You have a six-band PEQ available for the Main LR and each monitor mix bus. This built-in EQ can also be switched to graphic EQ if you prefer. Select the Main or monitor buses and open the EQ tab. You can insert additional EQ into the Main LR and monitor buses if required.

4. Why is there only one Aux slider, when the XR16 has 4 AUX outs?

The Aux channel is an input. On the XR16 it is the USB Player input. The Aux outputs are usually fed from the monitor buses - as set on In/Out -> Aux Out.  Each monitor bus has a Master fader which is at the extreme right when the bus is selected.

• November 15, 2019
    • DennisMilsom
      RexBeckett

@DennisMilsom 

Additional info on XR effects, Dennis.

Each FX slot can be used either in Send/Return (aka Sidechain) mode or Insert. This is similar to analogue desks where there are usually FX Send and Return connectors but also Insert connectors for each channel and sometimes buses.

Send/Return effects are usually used where the processed signal is added back to the mix along with the original. These are frequently time-based effects like Delay, Reverb, Chorus, etc. Channel sends to an FX slot used this way are mixed on the FX1..FX4 Send bus, controlled by the individual FX Bus Master and sent to the selected FX processor. The FX Send buses are mono - a send from a stereo channel pair will sum both sides. The processor output becomes the FX1..FX4 Return - stereo channels each with a fader. These can be added to the Main LR and/or monitor mixes.

Channel sends to the FX buses can be adjusted using the Sends-on-Faders layers by selecting the required FX Send bus. This changes the channel faders into the the Send controls for the selected bus. Alternatively, if the channel is selected and the Sends tab opened, the Sends for the four FX slots and the six monitor buses can be seen and adjusted. Sends to FX buses should normally be Post Fader so they track the channel's level in the Main LR mix.

Inserted effects are normally used where the processed signal replaces the original. Examples would be De-Esser, Compressors, EQ, etc. Each FX slot can be used as a two-channel insert. Some FX processors are available as Stereo or Dual versions. The stereo form can be inserted into Main LR or a stereo-linked pair of channels or monitor buses. The dual form can be inserted into two individual channels or monitor buses. When an FX slot is used in Insert mode, the FX Send and FX Return faders have no effect on the process - even though the FX slot input and output meters show the presence of signal.

Because an Inserted effect replaces the original signal, it is not normally used for time-based effects. Most of the XR's time-based effects do not have a Mix control which is necessary to adjust the wet/dry mix when the effect is Inserted. The Modulation Delay processor is an exception - it does have a Mix control.

• November 15, 2019
    • DennisMilsom
      DennisMilsom

@RexBeckett  Thanks heaps Rex! So to have a different PEQ on the Monitor and on the Main, I really need to to have EQ set as the effect in two effect slots, is that correct? So main would use, say, FX 4, and monitor would use FX 3.

For some reason, and i'm not sure where I got it from, I thought there were 4 FX slots for main, and then under the Bus (1-6) they had a separate set of 4. But , and if I have this correct, there are only 4 in TOTAL for the whole XR operation, yes?

Dennis

• November 15, 2019
    • DennisMilsom
      DennisMilsom

oh, a supplementary question - if I have an effect set with the Insert tab highlighted, does this mean the effect is then no longer available for anything else?

• November 15, 2019
    • DennisMilsom
      DennisMilsom

the problem I am having, is that I have the slider for a channel, while having the FX 4 box highlighted, up to 0, the effct in 4 (EQ) has all of the bottom end taken out, (just so it is an audible thing while testing) I then move the slider (far right) whcih I assume is the amount of efx and I still get nothing?? If I move the slider in the 4 efx sliders section for FX 4 I get, as you predicted, huge feedback.

I mean, as far as I can see, I have the channel sending to the effect, the effect slider set to 0 as well, but nothing! Unless the effect itself has to be "turned on" somewhere else?

• November 15, 2019
Go to page