Brand

Behringer

242,668 members
119,064 posts
  • justChapman
    Contributor - Level 1
    2019-11-13

Hi All -

I recently acquired an XR18 for use as an IEM mixer for rehearsals. I'm using X-Air Edit on my laptop. Please bear with me - these are probably very simple questions...

Here's our configuration:

• 4 members of the band, we want independent mixes for each member
    • Aux sends 1-6 stereo linked, creating 3 stereo mixes to individual IEMs
    • Main LR is being used as a 4th stereo linked mix for IEM

What I want to do is create a single "base-mix" at the faders, save it (as a scene?), copy this base-mix to all of the stereo linked aux send mixes. From there, allow the individual to tweak to their needs using their phone/ipad. Then I would want to save those individual tweaked mixes (to a scene?), so we can recall them if need be later.

Question 1: My big issue is that I have not been able to copy the full fader-level 'base-mix' to the individual aux mixes. I'm having to manually change the faders to match the original mix, which is just dumb on my part. How do I accomplish this??

Question 2 - When I'm listening physically to aux 3-4 (linked), If I pull up mix 1-2 (linked) and solo it in X-Air Edit, shouldn't ALL aux mixes be hearing the mix 1-2? Soloing the mixes does not seem to be having any affect.

Question 3 - When we are listening to an individual aux mix, we want to hear ONLY that mix, post fader. It seems like we are hearing both a pre-fader tap and a post fader mix. How do I ensure only the selected mix is being heard?

Question 4 - Are there any gotchas in using the Main LR as a IEM mix? Should I be doing this another way?

Once we get these issues nailed down, we hope to use this as a dedicated IEM system for gigs, using Behringer MS8000 mic splitters to drop to FoH. That way we can maintain our monitor mix perfectly, regardless of venue. Any suggestions or tips here are greatly appreciated.

Again, I apologize if these seem like basic questions but, we're having issues making this work 100% as expected. I greatly appreciate any feedback you can provide.

-cc

read more...
    0 519
    • justChapman
      Paul_Vannatto

Hi Chris @justChapman ,

Welcome to the forum. I'll leave the first question til last, since the answer is the most advanced and takes more to explain it.

Question 2: Soloing a channel only affects what goes out of the headphones output. That bus is called a "monitor" bus. So it will have no affect on the Aux 1-6 or Main LR outputs.

Question 3: Channel sends taps needs to be something other than post fader (on the channel strip, Sends screen). In other words, if you want the IEM 1 independant to what happens to the faders for Main LR, select each channel strip and select the Sends screen. Change the taps to the IEM 1 mixbus pair (eg. bus 1-2) to something like post-EQ).

Question 4: One thing I can think of is, if you mute a channel to the Main LR, it will also mute all sends of that channel to the mixbuses (IEM 1-3) as well. I use Main LR for what it was designed for. If I'm doing sound for a band that needs more than the 6 Aux outs, I would use my X32 Rack.

I'll answer question 1 in the next post

• November 14, 2019
    • justChapman
      madoues

Hi justChapman,

I read your post and if you don't mind I have a question about how you setup your IEM sytem.

You say that you linked the auxes in stereo and I am wondering how you did this. Did you just make 2-to-1 adapters for the XLR outs, or is there some way in Xair edit to do this? Since I haven't found anything in Xair Edit regarding this way of setting up, I am guessing you used adapters at the XLRs, is this correct?

We are planning to go In-ear soon, so your solution will be what I would like to do.

Sorry to hijack your thread, but I figured since you have been answered already, hopefully it shouldn't bother you too much.

Cheers,

Dan

• January 19, 2020
    • justChapman
      madoues

OK,

I have been reading other posts and have made progress. I finally found the way of linking two buses together in stereo.

And I guess that you are sending both aux outs to a headphone amp? I was incorrectly thinking the aux outs could drive earphones directly, like another mixer that I also have.

Dan

• January 19, 2020
  • PatrickGMaillot
    Valued Contributor - Level 2
    2019-11-13
    X32ReaperAutoMate update #2 is available! Besides supporting 4.0, the program now can autoselect the IP used for REAPER and provide a very consistent way of handling catch-up situations when the user jogs or loops back in time. This also applies and works for all other cases during RtZ, Stop or Pause. Go to https://x32ram.com for more information and to download the update, available for licensed users.
    read more...
    2 149
    • PatrickGMaillot
      -mjk- The icon package and Stream Deck setup profile have both been updated on the x32ram.com website. The 4.x icons are slightly different and present something of a challenge to me for the studio. Typically, studio engineers don't waste tracks/channels (on Mixdown) with each Tom on it's own channel. We submix all the Toms to a stereo pair. The old icons had 2 Rack Toms that were mirrored and without text, and could be used for L/R. Now, there is a small Rack and large Rack Tom and they are labeled H(igh) and M(id) making it difficult to do icons for a stereo pair. Also, there used to be mirrored drum kits so they could be used not only for Overheads L/R, but also in cases where we have any other drum tracks in stereo pairs. Now, there is only a single drum kit icon, and the corresponding (what used to be, mirrored) icon is a cymbal. So I had to adjust my Stream Deck setup to reflect these differences.
      • November 13, 2019
  • JanDuwe
    Triber
    2019-11-13

Dear X32 fellows,
    We have just released v4.0, a major update to the X32 series firmware and the EDIT desktop apps.

All updates are online now, webpages are being updated currently, and it may take a little while until it is properly reflected on web server caches.For those who can't wait to check it out here are the download links, and a link to Goetz' fantastic 3:42 minutes of info on youtube

If you prefer the old layout, you may of course keep using fw 3.12 with EDIT apps 3.2. But you will miss the many really cool features like point-to-point routing and remote configuration of Midas' recent DP48 monitoring system etc. etc.

See the download links below and have fun as much as we had over the past months creating the new UI. Big kudos to Adam, Andreina, Brunella, Martin, Michael and Thomas for making this possible, and of course to the beta-team for much valued comments!!!

Best regards,
    Jan

read more...
    6 6,018
    • JanDuwe
      MarshallH

We just uploaded it to a few displays in our retail store. Looks really good! I can't wait to play around with the new patch routing. 

Stagesound.com

• November 13, 2019
    • JanDuwe
      GaryHiggins

Updated my M32 and Core so far...very happy about Core/M32C being able to export shows!....long time coming. I don't see a specific area for the DP48 setup, in edit anyway, did I miss it? Love the user in/out routing sections, extremely powerful. Only can guess at the possibilities. Great work all! 

• November 13, 2019
    • JanDuwe
      Paul_Vannatto

@GaryHiggins wrote:

I don't see a specific area for the DP48 setup, in edit anyway, did I miss it?  

No you didn't miss it. The editor doesn't have it yet. But the firmware does, meaning you can access it from one of the other (non-core) X32/M32 models interface. I have Scene Parser almost ready for release and hoping to provide a DP48 tool in Live Toolbox in the near future (yes you can access it via OSC). 

• November 13, 2019
    • JanDuwe
      PerHeldal

I get 404 when trying to download some of the files (X-Edit Linux 32-bit, and RPI)

• November 13, 2019
    • JanDuwe
      FelixHomann

Hi Jan,

can we hope for some "firmware love" for the X Air/ M Air mixers, too, now that the X32 v4 has been done? You once mentioned that internally some of the most wanted features have already been implemented and you just didn't have the resources to update the apps as well. That would be highly appreciated  

• November 13, 2019
  • PeterBailey
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-11-13

I am thinking about putting the neutron and model D in the Arturia 6u rack to use with my Minibrute 2s. What happens to the midi settings once I remove the panel from the box? Currently, I've got the Neutron on midi 2 and model d on midi channel 3. Does it stay on the midi setting that I used previously or does it the default to midi 1?

read more...
    0 138
    • PeterBailey
      Talos

Use the Synthtool to set your Neutron and D to ignore the dip switches before removing from the cases.

Once in the rack if you want to change channels you can use the Synthtool to alter settings on the D but you will have to use Sysex on the Neutron, its a simple procedure see page 27 of the manual for the code.

• November 13, 2019
  • DennisMilsom
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-11-13

So, I have just come across an interesting thing - I have inputs going in to ch 13 and 14 on the XR, but in the PC editing app, under the INPUT tab, the Analog Input shows as OFF?and that is all that is available to select as the input source in the dropdown box.

There is signal going in to the channels and I can hear the audio, it's just they are marked as OFF? All the other channels are available to select under this drop down box....is this a bug in the software or is this manually set somewhere else? And it's the same for channels 13 and 14.

read more...
    0 142
    • DennisMilsom
      KevinAllen

I have an XR16 and the GUI shows the same for me. I had my bass plugged into input 16 (one of the HiZ inputs) and in the channel pane I had to select the "[OFF]" in the channel 16 position to route it.

The X-Air software knows it is an XR16 it's connected to - I can see that in the Setup window. So I think it's just a bug in the GUI.

Kevin

• November 12, 2019
    • DennisMilsom
      RexBeckett

@DennisMilsom 

As Kevin ( @KevinAllen  ) says, it's a bug in XAir Edit. Ignore the word Off and select the required position in the list for the analogue input you want to use.

• November 12, 2019
  • DennisMilsom
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-11-13

Hey all,

I have got Mxing Station on the iPhone and read through the manual, but I cannot see where I can select and load snapshots?

Is it even possible? And if not would that mean the only way to select one, when using Mixing Station is via MIDI?

read more...
    0 105
    • DennisMilsom
      RexBeckett

@DennisMilsom 

I don't have an iPad so I can't give specific instructions but I'm pretty sure Mixing Station on iOS can load/save snapshots. On the Android version, you do this by clicking on the folder icon in the top bar of the mixer view and then selecting Snapshots. This shows a list of snapshot slots. A long-press on a slot gives you options to Save, Load or Delete the snapshot. 

Screenshots on the Apple store suggest that the same operation should be possible on the iOS version.

• November 12, 2019
    • DennisMilsom
      DennisMilsom

@RexBeckettThanks Rex - yeah it's there now, but yesterday when trying this, I ws sure that was not available....oh well must be brain fatigue haha!

• November 12, 2019
  • nielsvanleeuwen
    Contributor - Level 1
    2019-11-13

Dear all, I've seen multiple messages about driver error with Behringer X-touch when connecting USB to PC/laptop. It sais "driver error". Is there a solution for this issue? Thankx, Niels

0 198
    • nielsvanleeuwen
      KenMitchell

Hi Niels ( @nielsvanleeuwen ), 

Welcome to the community.  Do you happen to be using an AMD Ryzen based system.  There's been smoe reported problems with that platform.  Not long ago a community member posted a solution that he found.  I seem to recall he had to go into the BIOS and make a settings change regarding USB and "handoff" of some kind, but I don't remember the details. 

If it is a Ryzen, you may want to search the forums to find that fix. 

Hope this helps, 

Ken

• November 13, 2019
  • jdrukman
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-11-12

Just got the Pro-1 and it sounds amazing. I would like to sync its internal sequencer with some MIDI gear, and it does respond to clock, which is great, but it doesn't seem to respond to stop/start, which makes it nearly useless, because there's no way to get the sequence to line up perfectly with another device. If I hit play on my Electribe, it triggers my other pattern based gear to start playing, but the Pro-1 is free-running, so the beats don't line up perfectly. I have to flip the sequencer on/off switch on the Pro-1 and even then it's nearly impossible to get it bang on the money. Am I missing something?

read more...
    0 226
    • jdrukman
      Herr_Satz

From what i see after a few hours, you can sync the internal arp only using an external CV signal clock

• December 25, 2019
  • DennisMilsom
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-11-12

It neither finds the xr in search nor connects via IP's ending in .0 thru .4 External router is seen by iPhone and is working..XR is in DHCP mode under the LAN tab

Not sure what else I can do??

0 212
    • DennisMilsom
      KenMitchell

Hi @DennisMilsom , 

If you log into your external router there should be a page that will show you the connected devices and what IP address they've been assigned.  That is the address you want to use.  I can't explain why it isn't being found by a scan. 

Ken

• November 12, 2019
    • DennisMilsom
      RexBeckett

@DennisMilsom 

An external router normally acts as a DHCP server so it issues IP addresses to all connected devices. The range of addresses it will issue are usually controlled by settings on one of its web server pages. Typical ranges are: 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.99 or sometimes 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.199 but there are many other possibilities. The router will also have its own IP address which is what your browser should open to view the settings. This could be 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254 etc and is often shown on a label on the router. This address must be outside the range used by the DHCP server.

One thing you can do to make finding your mixer easier is to give it a fixed Static IP address. This should be outside the range used by the DHCP server and not one used by the router for its own control (some routers reserve more than one address for their own use). 

For example: If the router's IP address is 192.168.1.1 and the DHCP range is 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.199, you could set the XR's static address to 192.168.1.16 - easy to remember and enter if necessary.

XR16 Static.PNG

There is another potential benefit to running a static IP address on the mixer. If the router failed, you could connect a PC with a direct Ethernet cable, set the PC to use an appropriate fixed IP address (say 192.168.1.10) and get control without the need to change anything in the mixer settings.

When using an external router, I recommend turning it on and leaving enough time for it to complete its startup before switching on or connecting the mixer. Thirty seconds is usually enough - or when its LED indicators show it is ready. If the mixer tries to connect before the router is ready, it will sometime self-assign its IP address - usually something weird - and then not be reachable through the router. Changing the network mode switch for ten seconds should cause it to request, and be granted, a new IP address.

• November 12, 2019
    • DennisMilsom
      DennisMilsom

@RexBeckettHi Rex, tyring to get this setup  for a gig on Staurday so it's up early for me to try and get it sorted haha! It's 12.30 am here at the mo!

OK so according to the router webpage setup program, the routers' IP is 192.168.0.1 so would that mean I could set the Static of the XR to 192.168.1.1 (which IIRC is the factory default?)

I cannot find anywhere on the router page where it lists a range of IP addresses? Although I could be missing it as it's under some wierd name??

Dennis

• November 12, 2019
    • DennisMilsom
      RexBeckett

@DennisMilsom wrote:

@RexBeckettHi Rex, tyring to get this setup  for a gig on Staurday so it's up early for me to try and get it sorted haha! It's 12.30 am here at the mo!

OK so according to the router webpage setup program, the routers' IP is 192.168.0.1 so would that mean I could set the Static of the XR to 192.168.1.1 (which IIRC is the factory default?)

I cannot find anywhere on the router page where it lists a range of IP addresses? Although I could be missing it as it's under some wierd name??

Dennis

@DennisMilsom 

Good morning, Dennis.

Normally you want the XR16 to have an address in the same subnet as the router. So that means it should be 192.168.0.x I would try using 192.168.0.16. If that doesn't work try 192.168.0.116 or 192.168.0.216.

• November 12, 2019
    • DennisMilsom
      DennisMilsom

@RexBeckett  Sorry Rex, none of that worked. And further even the search function in Mixing Station does nothing! It just sits there with Searching.... at the top of the page.

• November 13, 2019
  • DennisMilsom
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-11-12

@RexBeckett  Hi Rex, still having issues with this ethernet!

Trying to connect up to my laptop (windows 10) which only sees it as ["Unidentified Network" No Internet access]

Tried the windows diagnostic and tries to fix something, not sure what, but the ethernet is still not working as the X Air app can not connect...it is set to DCHP as instructed on a previous thread.

Any ideas?

read more...
    1 188
    • DennisMilsom
      RexBeckett

@DennisMilsom 

"Unidentified Network" No Internet access flagged on a Wifi network is not a problem as long as your PC stays connected to it. Unfortunately PCs will often drop the Wifi connection in favour of one that does have a path to the Internet and is set to connect automatically. Sometimes it is necessary to turn off the connect automatically option for your home Wifi router.

What make/model of router are you using?  

• November 12, 2019
    • DennisMilsom
      DennisMilsom

@RexBeckettits an Intel Gigabit 82579LM on the laptop...an intersting thing I found ws that when connected via wi-fi the address is 192.162.1.1 but when the ethernet (from the XR) is connected that connection shows the address as 192.162.1.2 and windows keeps saying no default gateway available...I wonder if the change in the address could be the culprit?

• November 12, 2019
    • DennisMilsom
      RexBeckett

@DennisMilsom wrote:

@RexBeckettits an Intel Gigabit 82579LM on the laptop...an intersting thing I found ws that when connected via wi-fi the address is 192.162.1.1 but when the ethernet (from the XR) is connected that connection shows the address as 192.162.1.2 and windows keeps saying no default gateway available...I wonder if the change in the address could be the culprit?

@DennisMilsom 

Are you connecting the Ethernet directly between the PC and the XR16 - i.e. without using a router? If so, you should set the XR16 network to be a DHCP Server like this:

XR16 Server.PNG

• November 12, 2019
    • DennisMilsom
      DennisMilsom

@RexBeckett  yay! That was it...thx again Rex! Reason I am looking at this is even at home here, the internal router on the XR dropped out, three times actually. So now I am convinced hahaha! It's an external router for sure! Short term I'll try and get the netgear one up and running, but I am now looking at a couple of dual band ones - these ones looked ok (I think???)  TP Link  and this one Aiport Express 

• November 12, 2019
    • DennisMilsom
      RexBeckett

@DennisMilsom wrote:

@RexBeckett  yay! That was it...thx again Rex! Reason I am looking at this is even at home here, the internal router on the XR dropped out, three times actually. So now I am convinced hahaha! It's an external router for sure! Short term I'll try and get the netgear one up and running, but I am now looking at a couple of dual band ones - these ones looked ok (I think???)  TP Link  and this one Aiport Express 

@DennisMilsom 

I've used that TP-Link unit. It works well for short range. External antennas are better for longer range. I also prefer a router with at least two LAN sockets so I can connect a wired Ethernet in emergencies.

I don't recommend the Airport Express - several people have had problems using them with XR mixers. It also only supports 2.4GHz Wifi.

• November 12, 2019
Go to page