Behringer

Brand

Behringer

235,570 members
111,338 posts
  • KenMartin
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-06-11

Okay just to clarify my finding using Samplitude 4 Pro.

I have two X Touch controllers running with Samplitude 4, according to the Magic help file the second controller must be a signed to Mackie XT  this is not correct. By trial and error the second controller must be a signed to Mackie Alternate Scale. Once a signed you will see two midi assignments for the X Touch. In my configuration the top is the master he is 1-8 and the bottom is the slave 9-16. Also please remember that when you open Samplitude you will need to always asign the second unit if you are using more than 8 tracks. Samitude does not save the config automatically, but this only takes a few second to setup so there no hardship. All fuctions work perfectly in sync and you can add up to for units if required.

read more...
    0 127
  • dv
    Contributor - Level 1
    2019-06-10

First of all, if this is the wrong place to post this, let me know.

I recently acquired a Behringer Xenyx X1204USB mixer. However, the USB Audio output seems to be extremely quiet. Audio does come through, but I need to turn the main outs as well as the headphones volume control most of the way up to hear it. Even with these all the way up, it still is quieter than a whisper.

I do not believe this is a problem with the computer or any other hardware, because I used an identical setup before, but with an iTrack Solo instead of a X1204USB (I use the 2-track outputs).

The unit seems to be otherwise completely functional. Audio from other sources, including the XLR and line inputs, as well as the returns is outputted perfectly.

I am going to try using a different USB cable to connect the mixer to my computer as soon as I get a chance, but I have used the cable currently in use with no problem before.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much,

read more...
    0 341
    • dv
      RichardYClark

@dv wrote:

However, the USB Audio output seems to be extremely quiet. Audio does come through, but I need to turn the main outs as well as the headphones volume control most of the way up to hear it. Even with these all the way up, it still is quieter than a whisper.

The unit seems to be otherwise completely functional. Audio from other sources, including the XLR and line inputs, as well as the returns is outputted perfectly.

Don't quite understand where the problem is. I am confused by the two statements 'USB Audio output seems to be extremely quiet' and ' as well as the returns is outputted perfectly.' They seem to contradict one another. Where are you listening that is so low level?

• June 10, 2019
    • dv
      dv

@RichardYClark 

I apologize for the confusion. Hopefully this clears things up.

When I use the returns in conjunction with the sends on the mixer, everything seems to work fine. I often use the sends and returns to use miked instruments with pedals, and this works fine. However, when I connect the mixer to my computer, and play audio from the computer, the audio is outputted very quietly from the mixer. I did make sure that the volume was turned up on the computer.

Again, sorry for the confusion. Thank you for the help.

• June 11, 2019
  • jackduk
    Contributor - Level 1
    2019-06-10

After sitting on my desk for just a few weeks, I've noticed dust building up on my Deepmind 12D which I'm worried about as their are gaps in the sliders where dust is obviously going to gather. 

Headed over to Decksavers as Facebook must have heard me mention it and then advertised it on my feed and their covers are tip top. Only thing is, they don't do any for Behringer! 

Anyone know why? Or if any alternatives are out there that look just as good? 

read more...
    0 710
  • isaacmaestro
    Contributor - Level 3
    2019-06-09

Hey guys, I'm kind of new here and I'm just wondering how I should maybe go about doing this; I've seen some other posts on the topic but I am having a hard time figuring what the best course of action would be for us.

So long story short I'm in charge of upgrading the sound in our church building and implementing an in-ear system since right now we are only using wedges and it's limiting us a decent amount.

We have an X32 Producer in the back and an analog snake on stage with only 16 inputs and 4 outputs. I think I've decided on using the Presonus HP60 (2 of these) as a headphone amp and using the X32 app to mix individually. This will still be a much cheaper option than the p16s and we can still have good quality. We have nine or ten members on stage that would be using a stereo iem.

So obviously we're limited by our current outs so I was thinking about getting an S32 and getting rid of the analog snake on stage, this would provide us with more inputs (which we are needing as well) and close to enough outputs for what we would need. Any thoughts? How would I go about setting this up with the Cat 5 cable? I understand we could also get an X32 Rack but I fear we would not have enough outs for the in-ears. 

We are looking at making a gradual transition so I'm contemplating what to change first.

Thanks for any help guys, I really appreciate it.

@Paul_Vannatto 

read more...
    0 93
    • isaacmaestro
      Paul_Vannatto

Hi Isaac @isaacmaestro,

Welcome to the forum. From what you describe of what you want to accomplish, I don't think two Presonus HP60 are going to provide an acceptable solution, particularly for multiple IEM (stereo) application. Each HP60 only provides 2 stereo (balanced) inputs for all headphone outputs and a stereo (unbalanced) for each headphone outputs. What I've learned is that IEM users will have difficulties sharing stereo mixes with others, meaning that each will want their own customized stereo mix. 

The P16 (Ultranet) eco-system provides an alternate solution for up to 16 individual signals using the Ultranet bus (which can also be sent down the AES50 cables to stageboxes). The downside is that it is limited to 16 signals. 

If you don't plan on using the P16's (due to its limitations or cost factor), you will need to use mixbuses (2 per stereo mix) within the X32 console. Each console has 16 mono mixbuses available. Typically the last 4 are used for sidechaining to the first 4 FX slots. If not all 4 FX are needed, then those mixbuses can be repurposed for IEM mixes. If you plan on having 9-10 stereo IEM, that still leave the mixbus capability short a few. Therefore you will need 18-20 outputs, but also 18-20 mixbuses to provide the desired IEMs. Add to that, you will need more outputs for FOH speakers, subs, foyer, nursery, etc.

My suggestion is to get an X32 Rack and an SD8 or SD16. This will not only provide sufficient outputs but also sufficient mixbuses (between the 2 consoles). For the IEM's, if the musicians are relatively stationary (eg. keyboard, bass, drums, etc.), you could provide the Behringer P1 wired headphone amps for each musician. For those who move around and require wireless, I just got a Carvin EM900 and it seems to be a very nice unit and it is "church budget compatible". I won't know how it works in a live event until August. But it does have excellent reviews.

• June 9, 2019
  • RexBeckett
    Superhero - Level 3
    2019-06-09

People sometimes ask how they can control their XAir or X32 mixers using a footswitch. Usually they just want to switch FX on/off or perhaps load a Snapshot/Snippet. These simple actions can be achieved over Midi and enquirers are directed to threads that explain how to build suitable footswitches. That's fine for DIY electronics enthusiasts but sometimes people want an off-the-shelf solution. I decided to test some of the ready-made products.

I only investigated products that were capable of sending Midi Control Change messages to toggle mutes or mute groups. This excluded many small Midi footswitches that can only send Program Change messages. I also excluded devices that did not have built-in DIN Midi outputs. Products designed for USB Midi could be used with USB/DIN Midi converters but that adds another box so it isn't an ideal solution.

One option is the Midi Solutions Footswitch Controller. This is available in single, dual or eight-switch versions. All versions can be powered by the Midi output from an XAir or X32 mixer. The units can be programmed to send various Midi messages in response to inputs from simple momentary or latching footswitches. Programming is done with free software but does require the use of a USB/Midi interface or cable.

These controllers support a wide range of Midi messages. The most useful, for use with XAir/X32 mixers, are Control Change messages for toggling mute groups. The controllers can also send two different System Exclusive messages when a footswitch is toggled. This can be used to send XOSC commands to load Snapshots or Snippets for more complex switching requirements.

The single switch version works well for toggling one mute group - to disable FX sends while talking - or to switch between two Snapshots/Snippets. The larger models could be used for more complex switching.

The MeloAudio MIDI Commander is a much more comprehensive footswitch. Although primarily designed to control guitar processors, it provides two custom layers that can be programmed to generate Control Change and Program Change Midi messages in response to the various switches. This is a very well-constructed device that can be powered by two disposable or rechargeable AAA batteries or with a USB power supply. Programming is performed using the footswitches and OLED display.

The MIDI Commander can be used to control some XAIR/X32 functions but there are restrictions.
    Each custom layer uses the same Midi channel for all the switches and optional expression pedal. Using Midi channel 2, this allows mute groups to be operated with Control Change messages and it can load X32 Snippets with Program Change but the expression input is not usable. It would not be able to load XAir Snapshots on the same layer as mute groups.

When a switch is set to generate Control Change messages with a toggle, the on action sends value 127 and off sends 0. The nearby LED indicates when the switch is on. This can be confusing when used with an X32 - when switching a channel/bus mute, the LED indicates that the channel/bus is muted but when switching a mute group, the LED indicates that the group is unmuted.

When a switch is set to send a Program Change, the program number is determined by the bank switching so is not freely assignable. Sending a Program Change turns off the LEDs on Control Change switches so, although the actual mutes don't change, the footswitch no longer displays the current status.

There is no provision for setting the starting state of the switches. After switch-on, it is necessary to click any Control Change switches one or twice to synchronize the mixer and footswitch.

These restrictions reduce the functionality of the MIDI Commander as a controller for XAir/X32 mixers. It works well enough for controlling mutes and mute groups but the other functions are not really usable.

The Source Audio Soleman is a highly configurable footswitch. It only has four switches but their actions are individually programmable with a wide range of options. Up to 64 named panel layouts can be programmed. On each panel, the LCD displays the panel name and the user-defined three-character name of each switch. Panels can be selected by pressing two of the switches simultaneously - or with an optional external footswitch. The Soleman includes an input for an expression pedal and can be calibrated to suit most pedals. The unit can be powered with the included 9V power supply or via the USB port. I power mine with a USB power-bank so I don't need to run a mains cable. Programming is done over USB using the free editor software.

The actions of each of the four switches in a panel can be programmed with few restrictions. Each switch has a name, a default state, a latched/momentary/radio-button mode, an on action and an off action. The actions can be one of the commonly-used Midi messages on any channel and with any data values. Actions can also trigger macros - sequences of Midi messages. This is a very powerful feature that can be used to achieve complex switching. Macros can include System Exclusive messages so support XOSC commands. A simple example is to use macros so that a switch mutes one group and unmutes another - and the reverse when toggled. As the on and off actions are programmed individually, the meaning of the status LED can be set as required.

The Midi channel and controller for the expression pedal can be programmed for each panel layout. It is possible to set minimum and maximum controller values so an expression pedal could be used, for example, to operate a channel/bus fader between, say, -30dB and 0dB for gentle level control.

Setup macros can be defined for each panel layout. These will be run when the unit is turned on or a different panel is selected. These macros can be used to synchronize the mixer and footswitch so that the status LEDs reflect the actual mixer state.

The Soleman includes support for Midi Tap Tempo but not, unfortunately, in a way that works with XAir/X32. On these mixers, setting tempo over Midi requires calculating the delay time, constructing an OSC command to set the appropriate time parameter for the required FX slot, encoding the command as an XOSC hex string and sending it as a System Exclusive Midi message. This is so specialized that it is unlikely to be supported by any general-purpose Midi footswitch.

The Soleman is not a low-cost Midi footswitch but it has the flexibility to provide good control of XAir/X32 mixers over Midi in a small, well-constructed package. The only way to get better control would be to build one of the DIY designs that use OSC commands over a network connection.

read more...
    1 967
    • RexBeckett
      Paul_Vannatto

Hey Rex @RexBeckett,

Very good and comprehensive summary of commercial solutions to the age old question of midi footpedal control of the X-Air/M-Air and X32/M32 consoles. Thanks so much for doing all that research and taking the time to provide this summary. Wish we could sticky it like we could in the old forum.

• June 9, 2019
    • RexBeckett
      Moamen

thank your for sharing your experience
      If I want to use control change messages of the MIDI Solutions controller, X-live card has to be installed or it isn't necessary?
      (because I will replace it with X-Dante card)
      thanks

• May 30, 2020
    • RexBeckett
      RexBeckett

@Moamen wrote:

thank your for sharing your experience
      If I want to use control change messages of the MIDI Solutions controller, X-live card has to be installed or it isn't necessary?
      (because I will replace it with X-Dante card)
      thanks

@Moamen 

No you would not need to change the option card. The Midi Solutions controller connects to the DIN Midi sockets on the console. It needs to connect to both as it gets power from the console's Midi Out.

• May 30, 2020
    • RexBeckett
      Moamen

thank you for your help 

Actually I plan to purchase  MIDI solutions  F8 to control M32C but I want to ensure that I can mute/unmute by sending CC message from a toggle switch.
      Are there any considerations that I have to take care of it 

I will assign
      -a switch to mute/unmute BUS 

-a switch or more to mute/unmute Chanel

-a switch or more to mute/unmute "mute group" or "DCA group'
      Is this device capable to do that?
      Thanks again

• May 30, 2020
    • RexBeckett
      RexBeckett

@Moamen wrote:

thank you for your help 

Actually I plan to purchase  MIDI solutions  F8 to control M32C but I want to ensure that I can mute/unmute by sending CC message from a toggle switch.
      Are there any considerations that I have to take care of it 

I will assign
      -a switch to mute/unmute BUS 

-a switch or more to mute/unmute Chanel

-a switch or more to mute/unmute "mute group" or "DCA group'
      Is this device capable to do that?
      Thanks again

@Moamen 

Yes that should all be possible with the F8. All the mutes are simple Control Change messages. You can program the unit (with the free, downloadable tool) to be triggered by mometary or latching switches.

• May 30, 2020
  • DanGallant
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-06-09

Hi People

Can someone tell me the settings so I can adjust the E Q  on my X Air 18 .

I want to set the F O H settings ...then the Monitor E Q ....

Right now when I use the Channel E Q    the F O H   and the monitor E Q   settings have the same build....

Thanks

Dan

read more...
    0 250
    • DanGallant
      RexBeckett

@DanGallant 

Hi Dan, you can set EQ separately for the Main LR and monitor bus mixes. For Main LR, click the Main LR button to the left of the main fader, click the scribble-strip above the main fader and then open the EQ tab. For the monitor buses, click on the appropriate bus button to the left of the main fader, click the scribble-strip above the main fader and open the EQ tab. 

EQ for Main and buses can be set to Parametric (PEQ), Graphic (GEQ) or True (TEQ) with the radio buttons on the EQ tab.

• June 9, 2019
  • SavantSingh
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-06-08

Need some help

Top row of the Behiringer X Air 16 inputs work fine, so the do the below ones

I tried using a condensor mic on the bottom row. Test on both mics I have. The input volume was too low.

The bottom row on the Xair16 has no phantom power 48v as the above row.  So I get that.

I purchase two new Sennheiser E835 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal mic.

I got better results but the input volume is still very low. The gain level on the bottom row of this unit only goes to 20. I cannot get more to improve the volume on the mics

Tried EQ and other set up. Not much difference.

Are there special microphones for this unit for the bottom row to work right?

read more...
    0 202
    • SavantSingh
      RichardYClark

No. The bottom row of jacks on an XR16 is intended for line inputs such as keyboards or playback devices. It is not intended for microphones. That is why Behringer also make the XR18 which has sixteen rather than just eight mic inputs on XLR connectors if you need more mic inputs.

• June 7, 2019
    • SavantSingh
      KenMitchell

Hi @SavantSingh ,

By the bottom row on the XR16, you mean the TRS connectors?  Phantom power cannot be provided on a TRS connector, only on an XLR.  You have to use a condenser mik with an XLR cable or you need to add an  extra phantom power supply between the mik and the TRS connector. 

Hope this helps, 

Ken

• June 8, 2019
    • SavantSingh
      SavantSingh

Hi there

yes bottom row TRS connections. Using any I am having funny issues.

I finnaly got the Phantom power using XLR cables etc.

I  have two condenser mic's using the phantom power supply between the mic and the TRS connector. 

The issue I am having is now is no matter which Mic I use its seems to cliping at times and low and the audio is struggling. The levels are much better with the power connected. When I connect the mic's direct without the Phantom power they just do not function. I thought by having this phantom power supply the Condenser mics should work and work as normal mic's should.

Question can the xr16 TRS use MIC in those lower row at all?

The mics work fine on the above XRL row. Sort of lost here.

• June 26, 2019
  • DougAlexander
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-06-07

What is an example of a scenario where the "AES50 A" source would be routed to the "AES50 A" output. It seems strange that that is even an option.

I am right to think that would really never happen (even though it is an option)? Any comments might help my understanding of x32 routing. 

Thank you!

read more...
    0 207
    • DougAlexander
      DaveMorrison

@DougAlexander  How about a mic spiltter? Send 16 mics in from a s16 and send those 16 mics directly back out to it's 16 outputs. Maybe not practical because it's not tranformer isolated and post pre-amp, but...

• June 7, 2019
    • DougAlexander
      DougAlexander

So, you agree it would be rare, if ever, that there would be a need to use the option to route "AES50 A" source to "AES50 A" output? Right?

• June 7, 2019
    • DougAlexander
      GaryHiggins

It's probably used more than you might initially think right off the bat. If you use aes50a inputs in your 'home' 1-16 mixer ch slots and you use direct outs for "out 1-16", Stagebox input ch's 1-16 will come out the xlr outs (8 or 16 depending on the stagebox or mixer). It's a common mistake in routing to choose Local or aes50 1-16 instead of "out 1-16", it happens here often. But using direct out of a stagebox ch is often a deliberate outcome too  Aes50a 1--48 are also fixed on the stage boxes. Aes50a 1-16 is always for the xlr outs (remember the first x32 was a full desk with 16 xlr outs)-adat always uses aes50a 17-32 and the ultranet port always uses aes50a 33-48. Whenever aes50a (or b) is referenced in the output routing menu's (card, aes50a/b and xlr out) it refers to a mirror of what is incoming on those very same ports.So aes50 out=aes50 in is used alot.

• June 8, 2019
  • DavidPlunkett
    Contributor - Level 3
    2019-06-05

I have had a B-2 Pro Condeser Mic for a few years and the elastic bands have stretched and are pretty much useless. Does anyone know where I can get replacements that will fit? I can't see any on offer on the Behringer site.

0 279
  • SCastle
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-06-05

I'm setting up a small church system with X32 and FOH amps at rear of sanctuary and S16 on stage with outputs to a powered sub and an amp with 2 monitor wedges -  pretty basic.

The mics and instrument inputs are all working through the S16 but only 2 of the output channels (7&8) on the S16 have signal. I currently have the sub on output 8 and it works and one monitor amp channel works on 9 but channel 7 has no signal. 

I thought I followed the set up tutorials and the house sound works fine but I can't seem to get the monitors and sub to operate correctly apart from the FOH main fader. I want the output to the sub to be post fader but I need the monitor channels (which I have tried unsuccessfuly to configure on mix bus 1 & 2) to be set up as prefader.

I've uploaded one of my recent scenes in a zip file here. (It wouldn't let me upload the .scn file). Any help would be appreciated.

Scene.zip
    read more...
    0 425
    • SCastle
      RexBeckett

@SCastle 

Hello Steve, welcome to the community.

There does not seem to be a file attached to your post. As you discovered, the forum will not accept .scn files unless they are zipped. Try again and we should be able to help you with the routing.

• June 5, 2019
    • SCastle
      SCastle

The zip file should have been attached. Try it now. 

Scene.zip
      • June 6, 2019
    • SCastle
      RexBeckett

@SCastle wrote:

The zip file should have been attached. Try it now. 

@SCastle 

Hi Steve, the zip file is empty. How did you create it? On Windows, you can right-click on the .scn file and select Send to... Compressed (zipped) folder.

• June 6, 2019
    • SCastle
      SCastle

I just recreated the .scn file and zipped it agiain. Hopefully it works this time.

scene.zip
      • June 6, 2019
    • SCastle
      RexBeckett

@SCastle wrote:

I just recreated the .scn file and zipped it agiain. Hopefully it works this time.

@SCastle 

Yes the file is good. If your S16 is set to mode 1, you should get mixbuses 1-6 on S16 outputs 1-6, Main L on output 7 and Main R on output 8. The master faders for mixbuses 1-6 are all right down but on Routing -> Outputs 1-16 you are using pre-fader taps for buses 1-3 so they should be at full level.

XLR Outputs 1-4 on the X32 are being routed from AES50-A 1-4 - which would be direct inputs from S16 inputs 1-4. Is that intentional? The same four inputs are also being mapped to Aux inputs 1-4 using Aux In Remap. Is that also by design?

Which buses do you want sent to each of the S16 and X32 outputs?

• June 6, 2019
Go to page