Behringer

Brand

Behringer

261,070 members
139,742 posts
  • VadimMaptih
    Contributor - Level 3
    2019-10-13

It will be extremely useful for live situations to find problematic frequencies that need to be cut without disturbing the audience and performers:

to have an eq sweep feature that's only heard in solo mode in headphones.

Put on headphones sweep for the bad frequency, than cut it with channel eq.

read more...
    0 166
    • VadimMaptih
      KevinMaxwell

@VadimMaptih wrote:

It will be extremely useful for live situations to find problematic frequencies that need to be cut without disturbing the audience and performers:

to have an eq sweep feature that's only heard in solo mode in headphones.

Put on headphones sweep for the bad frequency, than cut it with channel eq.

The challenge to doing what you want is that the input channel headphone Solo sends are usually pre all channel processing. And this is the way that all of the mixers that I can think of work. I don’t have a mixer handy to check this recommended trick out on, so I don’t know if there is a simpler way to do this.

So you need to get the signal post EQ. The one way to do what you want that comes to mind is to use a spare channel and a spare Mix Bus send setup for this. If you have a spare channel and Mix Bus send. Have this spare channel assigned to only feed the spare Mix Bus and make sure that this Mix Bus isn’t assigned to anything.   Then you just need to assign the channel you are trying to EQ also to this spare channel. So you have the input double assigned. Then you only solo this spare Mix Bus and you will hear a feed that is the same feed as the channel you want to EQ and you can play with the EQ on the spare double assigned channel and the changes you make will only be heard in the headphones (if you have set it up correctly). Then after you make the EQ changes you want you can do the same to the live channel or you could copy and paste the EQ from the spare channel to the live channel. This would need to be done with care as to be sure you are only pasting in the EQ.   

I was thinking you could skip the channel double assigning method and just assign the channel to a spare Mix Bus because you can setup a Mix Bus to have the solo be AFL (After Fader Level) and you could play with the EQ on the spare Mix Bus. This might work better for you but the Mix Bus EQ is a 6 band EQ and the channel is a 4 Band EQ so you probably can’t copy and paste it. And I don’t know if there are any other differences between the EQs. You could always try it. And after a while of doing this you might actually train your ear to be able to pick out the needed EQ changes without having to do this trick.

• October 13, 2019
  • AlanMu
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-10-13

I have an AudioTechnica System 10 wireless handheld mic that I use each week in a school cafeteria as a podium audio source for our church.  We're temporarily in there while our church is under construction.  Lately something has changed with it so that it rings easily, but doesn't amplify the audio very much.  I assume someone was messing with one of the physical gain adjustments during the week when we don't have control over access.  

I mix the microphones with a Behringer X-Air XR12.  There's a gain built in to the mic, also on the back of the mic receiver, also on the Behringer X-Air.  Then there are the XR12 mixer levels for the main output bus and the speaker output bus.  Then there is a level knob on the amplified loudspeakers that I use. 

I purchased a Shark FBQ100 to try to help with the feedback, and it's installed on the output of the mixer and sends output to the loudspeakers.  I'm not sure it does much, although I did run it through the auto-tune function.

What should be the strategy for all of those separate gains and levels to try to get the most out of the audio, but limit feedback?  I'm not an audio engineer, but know how to set things up and plug things in to each other. 8)

read more...
    0 180
    • AlanMu
      SethUldall

@AlanMu

Hi Alan.  Purely my opinion and others may differ.  There's a couple points

The fact that it's not amplifying the audio very much yet is also feeding back easily leads me to believe you may have a feedback loop in one of your FX busses.  Open each FX buss and verify that all of the FX channels are all the way down in each of the FX busses. The only place you should add FX is on the main or aux busses.

As far as the "gain structure" goes, having not used your wireless microphone system before, I'd start with the mic all the way up, receiver all the way up, and adjust for proper input signal in the XR12, roughly -20 dB on spiritted "test test" in the mic.  If there's any distortion, I'd try turning down the receiver output a little, then readjust input gain.  If that doesn't solve it, put it back and try the same with the output adjustment on the mic.

Things that traditionally contribute to feedback are reverb, compression/makeup gain, and excessive EQ anywhere in the signal chain.  Keeping the microphone as far away as is practical and behind the speakers helps minimize feedback too.

I hope some of this helps Alan.

• October 13, 2019
  • mixerking
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-10-13

No menu tabs showing on android 8.1 or 9.

0 148
    • mixerking
      mixerking

HI , had same problem with newer tv boxes , download Mixing Station Air , free , Google PLaystore , with additions around £5.

Same as xair  but laid out different , few minutes to work it out. Very good.

• October 13, 2019
  • mixerking
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-10-13
    0 143
  • mixerking
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-10-13
    0 134
  • straina
    Contributor - Level 1
    2019-10-13
    I record to the thumb drive and it plays back thru XR 16 LR Mains nice, clear, and loud but when I play the thumb drive thru my laptop the gain is very very low. All volume settings in laptop are full tilt. Any ideas? Ive tried diff thumb drive.
    0 139
    • straina
      RexBeckett

@straina 

Hi Sam, welcome to the community.

Make sure that the USB recorder source is set to a pre-fader signal tap. This will give a higher recorded level than a post-fader tap if the fader is below 0dB. If the recorded level is still too low, you may need to raise the channel gains to give a better gain structure.

Try setting the channel gains so that, during perforance, the input meters peak at between -18 and -12dBFS. Set the channel faders so that the Main LR mix output peaks at around -12 to -6dBFS with the Main LR fader at 0dB. Adjust your power amplifier gains so that you have the required live volume. You could lower the Main LR fader if necessary but don't raise it above 0dB. Recording from Main LR (pre-fader) should give a reasonable level for playback on a PC. 

• October 13, 2019
  • matthewhon
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-10-11

I have an issue that I lost all my inputs on channel 1-16. If I turn on phantom power it works for about a minute and then stops. I have turned off the unit. Initialized it. I have downgraded and upgraded the firmware also. Currently running firmware 1.17 with a Windows 10 pc. Same issue with connecting from Ipad.

X18.scn
    read more...
    0 184
    • matthewhon
      KenMitchell

Hi Matthew ( @matthewhon ), 

Welcome to the community. When you say inputs 1-16, do you mean the analog channels on the mixer or the USB inputs on the PC?  How we troubleshoot depends on this answer. 

Ken

• October 11, 2019
    • matthewhon
      matthewhon

So I am guessing the only option is to send it in for service. Already tried the factory reset.

• October 14, 2019
  • MichaelStreck
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-10-10

This may be of interest for anyone currently using Daniel Appelt's Capiture to record the XR18 with a Raspberry Pi. I added a Pimoroni ButtonSHIM and wrote/rewrote/hacked up some code and now have a very compact handheld multi-track recorder for the XR18. If anyone is interested in the modifications, let me know and I'll post what I did here.

NOTE: This is dependent upon having a working Capiture setup. Otherwise, it'll probbaly be pretty useless to you.

read more...
    0 444
    • MichaelStreck
      lennertk

Hi Michael,

I'm interested to see what you've done!

I'm personally looking for a way to do headless recording but also place embedded time cue markers on the .wav file. In my band we used to record our rehearsals using the Zoom F4 fieldrecorder (which I already owned for my freelance filmmaking) and we would just let it run but set a timecode marker to mark the important bits so we would end up with a multitrack of a few hours long but we were still able to quickly go to the important parts. This allowed us to not pay too much attention to the hardware and focus on playing instead of constantly starting/stopping recording, missing good stuff because you aren't recording everything but also having to search through hours of audio when you are recording everything. I'm figuring out how to do the same with Jack/CaPiture but I'm not the best programmer and I would like it to be as seamless as possible (not a separate file, I know that would be quite easy to make basically a 'stopwatch' app. It's the embedding part that's confusing me, especially when large files get split when they reach 2GB). I also haven't put in a lot of time as I only have a Pi Zero for now which isn't even powerful enough to actually record without issues.

But even if you don't feel the need for that and had no interest in implementing such a feature I would like to see where you've taken it

• November 4, 2019
  • TommBuzzetta
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-10-10

After hearing some online "demos" of Behringer's ( new ) "PRO-1" Synthesizer we're considering it for a "starring role" in "The Synthesist".

( https://locallegendfilms.jimdo.com/upcoming-projects-1/ *Scroll down to find it ).

"The Synthesist" is a new sci-fi thriller about a synthesist/ sound-designer who becomes involved in a dangerous conspiracy. Not only will the "PRO-1" serve as the movie's primary "onscreen prop" -we hope to also use it to score the movie's soundtrack ( -and use it to provide many of the movie's sound-effects ). "The Synthesist" will, in-essence, be a feature-length "demo" of the PRO-1's sonic capabilities ( -wrapped inside a rivetting sci-fi movie ). "The Synthesist" is slated to start production in 2020. If you're a sci-fi fan or a fan of Behringer synths -check out the link above for more details!  

read more...
    0 218
  • TommBuzzetta
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-10-10

Check out my new review of Behringer's QX1832 USB mixer. Just Google "Creative Tech Nerds". Then click on the "jimdo" listing shown to bring up the site. Then click on the ( left ) side bar icon: "Behringer Xenyx QX1832 USB" to read the review. 

read more...
    0 127
Go to page