Behringer

Brand

Behringer

261,082 members
139,755 posts
  • SamsMusicFactor
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-08-08

Hi! I bought the X-Touch Extender and I am planning to use it exclusively for the cc midi controllers spaecially CC#1,7,11,21 . I tried my best to let it work but with no luck. I am using Logic pro x and I don't have any other x-touch controllers.

Please advice!

Thank you

read more...
    0 292
    • SamsMusicFactor
      DaveMorrison

Hi @SamsMusicFactor 

The extender is not programmable. You'll have to make your assignments in Logic. I would try Ctrl mode first.

• August 8, 2019
    • SamsMusicFactor
      SamsMusicFactor

Thank you! @DaveMorrison! It worked on kontakt with libraries but not yet with Logic on CC midi controllers. When using MC mode it works with logic.

• August 9, 2019
    • SamsMusicFactor
      DaveMorrison

@SamsMusicFactor 

The Extender is a weird beast. The only thing it seems to do well is MC (at least in logic). The reason I think Ctrl mode might work is that the Faders transmit CC in this mode as opposed to PitchBend when in MC mode. I think you would have to assign every Knob, Button and Fader in Logic to do what you want. @KenMitchell's advice is very sound as the compact is more versatile.

• August 9, 2019
    • SamsMusicFactor
      DaveMorrison

@SamsMusicFactor 

Nothing on the Extender can be changed (apart from the operating mode).

Have you tried something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm77G15H6zo

• August 11, 2019
    • SamsMusicFactor
      SamsMusicFactor

@DaveMorrisonYes! I tried this and it works on instruments or any knotakt library, you can easily assign faders or encoders to already programmed libraries or intruments inside Logic. But I can't find a way to program midi controllers CC#. Maybe there is a way OR AS YOU GUYS SAID IT'S NOT RE-PROGRAMMABLE !!

• August 12, 2019
  • DKDiveDude
    Contributor - Level 1
    2019-08-08

I don't know about my fellow musicians, but having already 13 keyboards, 12 of them synthesizers, but all MIDI capable, I do not really need, let alone want anymore keyboards.

I already own the Behringer Deepmind D12, and I am planning to buy Model D and Neutron.

I absolutely love to also purchase desktop versions of MS-1, VC340, and Odyssey, but not really as keyboards versions. Main reason for this is that I am simply out of space, and can much easier fit in desktop versions. Also why buy a synth with just three octaves, when I am going to hook it up to a 5 or 6 ocatve keyboard anyways. Yes I am aware that some of you products only support a limited octave range, but still, I rather save the space for a desktop version, and play them on my top notch MIDI keyboard.

Anyone else feel the same or is it just me?

Anyways Behringer keep up the great work, and will absolutely buy when Jupiter 8 and DS80 eventually come out in a few years.

read more...
    0 138
    • DKDiveDude
      KenMitchell

@DKDiveDude ,

Welcome to the community.  This is a good suggestion.  I'd like to add Desktop/Rack-mountable version, if possible.  I could certainly see someone wanted to rackmount several synths in a road case for easy transport and setup. 

Ken

• August 9, 2019
    • DKDiveDude
      DKDiveDude

Oh yeah, even though I have 4 rack mount synths, I totally forgot to include that.

So to clarify, Desktop or rack-mount versions of your synths is much preferred by me, and actually most likely will not purchase anymore keyboard synths due to lack of space, and that I already have some great 5 and 6 octave keyboards.

• August 9, 2019
  • DanielBecker
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-08-07

I am trying to understand the difference between the FX 1-4 stereo return faders and the FX 1-4 faders as seen in the Aux/FX tab of X32 Edit 3.2. 

I see that when in the Master bus mode, they are all up to unity and have mutes.  Click on one of the bus' and the FX 1-4 stereo are all down and have On/Off buttons, but the FX 1-4 are at Unity.  Click on an FX bus and it's the same.

I get the Sends for a channel sending to the FX unit.  Thank's for the help.

read more...
    0 396
    • DanielBecker
      Paul_Vannatto

@DanielBecker wrote:

I am trying to understand the difference between the FX 1-4 stereo return faders and the FX 1-4 faders as seen in the Aux/FX tab of X32 Edit 3.2. 

The FX 1-4 are the mixbuses that feed the first 4 FX slots (by default). These are the dry signals in a side chain FX setup. The FX stereo returns (FX1L, FX1R, etc.) are the FX stereo returns (wet signal) from the FX engine. Both have to be up and enabled/unmuted in order to have the resulting FX in the main mix.

• August 7, 2019
    • DanielBecker
      RexBeckett

@DanielBecker 

The Fx1L, Fx1R, Fx2L .. Fx4R faders are the returns from the FX processors in slots FX1 to FX4. The rightmost faders Fx1 .. Fx4 (or Bus 13 ..Bus 16) are the Master faders for the sends to the slots.

When you select a Bus, the faders show channel sends to that Bus (aka Sends on Faders). In this view you would not normally want any of the FX Return faders raised. If an FX slot is sent its own return, unpleasant digital feedback can occur. Even though the FX Master faders are shown on the Aux/FX layer in Sends-on-Fader mode, they are not actually sends to the selected Bus. 

• August 7, 2019
    • DanielBecker
      DanielBecker

Thank you Paul and Rex.

To make sure I have this correct: When I send a signal from a channel to the FX, I'm actually sending it to the Bus 13 - 16 that goes to the FX engine but there is a Fader before the FX. So, the Master fader controls the signal of the combined channels sent to that FX. This is as an analog board then. 

I get side chaining as it relates (for example) to triggering a gate from another channel, but did not understand it as an FX routing.  Is it refered to as side chain because the bus can be used as a MIx Bus that also to send off to the FX?

I can thus, send the Bus 13 - 16 somewhere else via routing, say out one of the board XLR outputs and at the same time it going to the FX? The signal to both being controlled by the Master.

I understand you don't want the Returns up when in Sends on Fader in the FX.  Putting the Returns up in a Mix Bus 1 - 12 would send what ever was sent to that FX to that Mix Bus.  This would not be the same as having the FX acting on the Mix Bus as when one wants to have reverb/delay in a monitor mix.  For that I would Insert an FX on the Mix Bus?

Thank you again.

• August 7, 2019
    • DanielBecker
      RexBeckett

@DanielBecker wrote:

Thank you Paul and Rex.

To make sure I have this correct: When I send a signal from a channel to the FX, I'm actually sending it to the Bus 13 - 16 that goes to the FX engine but there is a Fader before the FX. So, the Master fader controls the signal of the combined channels sent to that FX. This is as an analog board then. 

Yes that is correct.

I get side chaining as it relates (for example) to triggering a gate from another channel, but did not understand it as an FX routing.  Is it revered to as side chain because the bus can be used as a MIx Bus that also to send off to the FX?

It is called side-chained because it operates in parallel to the dry signal from the channel to the mix bus. It is also sometimes called send/return FX to distinguish it from an inserted FX - which does not operate in parallel to the dry feed but replaces it.

I can thus, send the Bus 13 - 16 somewhere else via routing, say out one of the board XLR outputs and at the same time it going to the FX? The signal to both being controlled by the Master.

Yes you can route the FX Send Buses (13-16) to outputs or Matrix Buses if required.

I understand you don't want the Returns up when in Sends on Fader in the FX.  Putting the Returns up in a Mix Bus 1 - 12 would send what ever was sent to that FX to that Mix Bus.  This would not be the same as having the FX acting on the Mix Bus as when one wants to have reverb/delay in a monitor mix.  For that I would Insert an FX on the Mix Bus?

You can add FX Returns to monitor mixes in the same way as you would for the Main mix. The catch is that FX Sends are normally post-fader so the FX level will depend on the channel's fader while the dry monitor signal is normally pre-fader. Most reverb/delay FX processors are not suitable for use as inserts as they do not have a Mix control to set the wet/dry balance. The exception is Modulation Delay. Inserted effects are normally used where the processed signal replaces the original. e.g. De-Esser, EQ, Pitch Shift...

@DanielBecker 

• August 7, 2019
    • DanielBecker
      DanielBecker

Ok, so going further.

I click on the FX1 stereo return.  I go to the Sends tab and see that I can send to any of the Mix buses plus the FX bus.  I realize I would not want to send to the FX bus.  I would get that loop thing going.

If I send to a mix bus, am I only sending 1 side of the stereo return to the bus?  Is there really a difference in that the stuff going into the FX did not go in stereo, can't be panned going in so I assume it does not matter?

• August 7, 2019
  • bcrooms
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-08-07

I know there are similar threads on here about USB playback, but I don't believe I've come across one addresing what I am looking to do if its possible at all.

I am able to playback a stereo return from my DAW (Presonus Studio One 4) over the ultranet to P16 modules...

What I am really wanting is to multi track playback from the DAW, having all 16 channels independent in the USB return playback from what was just recorded in the DAW for listen back for the full band via the P16 modules and not have to listen back just on stereo.

If that scenario isn't possible with the XR18, I can deal with it, but it would be nice. 

Any help is appreciated.

-Brandon

read more...
    0 686
    • bcrooms
      RexBeckett

@bcrooms 

Hi Brandon, welcome to the forum.

Yes you can do this. If you are running Windows on your PC, you need to install the ASIO drivers for the XR18. Then set your XR18 into 18/18 ch mode on Setup -> Audio/Midi. You should then be able to route your DAW tracks to the USB outputs. You may need to select the ASIO device in your DAW preferences.

To send the USB returns to Ultranet, open In/Out -> Ultranet and scroll to the right to select the USB Return channel for each Ultranet output. There is a preset button USB Return that selects the first 16 USB returns.

• August 7, 2019
    • bcrooms
      bcrooms

I do have the ASIO drivers for the XR18 installed on my Windows PC...but I can't seem to get this to work properly. 

• August 7, 2019
    • bcrooms
      RexBeckett

@bcrooms wrote:

I do have the ASIO drivers for the XR18 installed on my Windows PC...but I can't seem to get this to work properly. 

Did you make the other settings I mentioned? In what way does it not work?

• August 7, 2019
    • bcrooms
      KenMitchell

Hi @bcrooms , 

In Studio One, you also have to set each track output to the corresponding USB Return going to the mixer.  Optionally, you can remove the tracks from the Master Buss or you can just mute it when you only want to send the individual tracks.  I don't use Studio One but I'll see if I can give you some guidance on setting the track outputs to the USB Returns. I think I have the free version somewhere. 

Hope this helps, 

Ken

• August 7, 2019
    • bcrooms
      bcrooms

I tried again to set the outputs in Studio One to relate to each channel return, but it still will not return audio through the ultranet interface to my P16s.

• August 15, 2019
  • DougDeMarche
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-08-06

Why am I having difficulty uploading and/or emailing a scene file that can be opened?

Paul Vanatto?

0 178
  • StueyLewis
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-08-06

I am new to this interface, so forgive me if these are basic questions.

I've followed all the advice I've been able to find, and checked some of the limited resources on the Behringer web site.  Here's my issue.

I have both Audacity and Mixpad (another cheap DAW) and the same problem occurs with both programs.  With my guitar plugged in to one input and my microphone plugged into another, no matter what I do, both programs want to record both inputs on the same track.  I've tried changing every setting  can think of, reinstalling drivers, troubleshooting using different instruments and different inputs, and the same problem always occurs.

I've been able to playack through my bluetooth speakers, so I know it's recording something, but I would like it to record on separate tracks so I can mix them properly and add more tracks with other instruments (I"m a solo singer/songwriter type).

I run Windows 10 64 bit.

thanks

read more...
    0 567
    • StueyLewis
      StueyLewis

Update: I just notice there is a UMC control panel icon that says, among other things, ASIO is not active and the Input is greyed out and not editable, although the outputs are.

• August 6, 2019
    • StueyLewis
      RichardYClark

The only way to record both in Audacity is to record them as a single stereo file with the mic on the left track and the guitar on the right. Audacity doesn't do mutitrack recording or work with ASIO drivers I'm afraid. Don't know about Mixpad. Probably need to ask on their forum.

• August 6, 2019
    • StueyLewis
      KenMitchell

@StueyLewis wrote:

Update: I just notice there is a UMC control panel icon that says, among other things, ASIO is not active and the Input is greyed out and not editable, although the outputs are.

Hi @StueyLewis . 

Welcome to the community.  You need to be using the ASIO drivers in order to access each input individually.  Audacity can only use MME drivers so you are limied to a Stereo Pair input. 

Mixpad does support ASIO so you should be able to create 2x MONO tracks and assign an input to each.  I'm not familiar with Mixpad but I just downloaded a trial version so I'll see if I can help out. 

Ken

• August 6, 2019
    • StueyLewis
      KenMitchell

Hi @StueyLewis ,

I had no problem getting Mixpad to record individual mono tracks using the ASIO UMC driver.  Let me know if you need a hand getting it setup. 

Ken

• August 6, 2019
    • StueyLewis
      StueyLewis

So if I understand correctly, I clicked on the audio options for each track. Changed the recording device to ASIO UMC Driver, then changed the drop down to Mono, then used input 1 for track one, input 2 for track two, and so on down the line.  Is this correct?

You don't by any chance have eperience with the TC Helicon Play Acoustic do you?  It has two outputs, one for guitar and one for vocals.  If I change the ouptut on the Play Acoustic to Mono, then it should send each output to a different track n MIxpad, does that sound right?

Thanks!

• August 7, 2019
  • Sverker
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-08-06

Hi! I'm still trying to learn my XR18, and tonight I had a problem. I was only listening through headphones, no speakers or monitors connected. I connected my bass guitar to channel 1, since it's hi-z, and I can see all the meters moving, but there was no output. When I tried channel 2, also hi-z, I heard my bass loud and clear. I'm quite sure I hadn't muted the channel.

Does anyone know what might have caused this, and how do I resolve the problem? Is there anything special about channel 1?

read more...
    0 320
    • Sverker
      RexBeckett

@Sverker 

Hi Sverker, channel 1 on the XR18 works the same as channel 2. Here are some things to check:

Is channel 1 assigned to a Mute Group that is muted?

Is channel 1 assigned to a DCA that is down or muted?

Is channel 1 routed to the Main mix? (Select the channel, open the Main tab and check the LR button is on).

Is the Gate for channel 1 enabled with a high Threshold setting?

Is there an inserted FX in channel 1?

Is channel 2's Solo button on?

If you can't find the problem, attach your saved scene file to a post (See Choose File below).

• August 6, 2019
    • Sverker
      Sverker

#3 did it, I had unchecked LR in the Main output. Thanks a lot!

There are so many things you can do with this, and so easy to get lost...

• August 7, 2019
    • Sverker
      RexBeckett

@Sverker wrote:

#3 did it, I had unchecked LR in the Main output. Thanks a lot!

There are so many things you can do with this, and so easy to get lost...

@Sverker 

I'm happy to hear you got it working. Please mark the solution to help others who may search for the same problem.

Yes it is a complex beast but you'll grow to love the flexibility. 

• August 7, 2019
  • chmod755
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-08-06

Hi

Does anyone know where I can get replacement rack ears for the XR18? I submitted two support emails to Behringer and they're not answering.

0 279
  • WadeGibbs
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-08-05

Hello,  new member first post.  I am currently the bass player and sound man (nobody else wants to do it) for a 5 piece bluegrass band. Very limited mixing/sound experience, currently use a Xenyx 1002. I have spent the last few weeks viewing Youtube videos and browsing the archive pages. Received my XR16 today and was able to:

1) Connect PC using internal WiFi and update the firmware

2) Connect PC using XR16 as DHCP server

3) Connect PC and XR using an external dual band router

4} Attached a 58 to input one and got output through the headphones and added some FX

Now for the question.                                                                                                                                              When I connect using a Ethernet connection the yellow light on the XR16 port flashes continuously and the green light never eluminates. Is this correct or do I have something configured incorrect.  Thanks in advance.

Wade

read more...
    0 208
    • WadeGibbs
      Paul_Vannatto

Hi Wade,

Welcome to the forum. I wouldn't worry too much about the green light. If you have a solid connection, that is what matters. I would strongly suggest you always use a dual band external router instead of relying on the internal one. 

My question is how are you fitting a 5 piece bluegrass group into the limitations of an XR16? I'll be doing sound for an award winning 6 piece bluegrass group (Winterline) on Thursday, but will be using my X32. This is because all instruments have to be mic'd (no plugging in allowed) and I finally convinced them to try stereo IEMs (which they fell in love with). This requires 11 inputs plus 12 mixbuses (6 stereo IEMs) and 15 physical outputs (including FOH). 

• August 5, 2019
    • WadeGibbs
      WadeGibbs

Paul, thanks for the response. My plan is to always use the external router. 

The bands I play for are local for fun, nothing approaching even semi-pro. One group uses a single Ear Trumpet (Louise) used by rhythm guitar, mandolin and banjo all three share vocals and a single instrument mic for the fiddle and I use a Audio Technica Pro 35 for my bass and we don't have monitors. The other band uses a condenser mic shared by 2 rhythm players who share vocals, 2 58's for dobro and banjo and my Pro 35 for the bass again no monitors. The guys I work with want to get away from multiple mics and use the single mic with people moving in and out for breaks. We have the typical issues with vocal mic technique, not being consistent when stepping to the mic for a break, trying to tame a banjo that is twice as loud as the mando and guitar. As stated in my original post I am a noob at mixing and sound and we don't have dedicated sound person to ride the faders so I will be trying to figure a mix that sounds decent through the whole set.  It is a treat when we get a show/venue that provides sound and a sound man.

I am open to any suggestions for mixing a band that wants to do the single mic thing.

Thanks

Wade

• August 5, 2019
    • WadeGibbs
      Paul_Vannatto

@WadeGibbs wrote:

Paul, thanks for the response. My plan is to always use the external router. 

Excellent. You won't regret it.

The bands I play for are local for fun, nothing approaching even semi-pro. One group uses a single Ear Trumpet (Louise) used by rhythm guitar, mandolin and banjo all three share vocals and a single instrument mic for the fiddle and I use a Audio Technica Pro 35 for my bass and we don't have monitors.

Is it a stand up bass? If so and you are encountering harmonics around 110 hz, turn the mic to face the strings (sideways) instead of aiming at the instrument. I discovered this by accident. 

The other band uses a condenser mic shared by 2 rhythm players who share vocals, 2 58's for dobro and banjo and my Pro 35 for the bass again no monitors. The guys I work with want to get away from multiple mics and use the single mic with people moving in and out for breaks.

The first time I did sound for Winterline was at an outdoor jamboree. They were passing through to open for a headliner at a nearby city and decided to join the fun. And we used the single large condenser mic technique. It was a lot of fun and entertaining. But I had to first EQ the mic for feedback and constantly ride the fader during the performance. 

We have the typical issues with vocal mic technique, not being consistent when stepping to the mic for a break, trying to tame a banjo that is twice as loud as the mando and guitar.

Mandolins have a much lower volume output than banjo's etc. That is the main reason why Winterline went to individual mics for each of the instruments and vocals - for consistency. Once everyone is dialed in and the scene saved, soundchecks are relatively quick and the performance goes much more smoothly.

As stated in my original post I am a noob at mixing and sound and we don't have dedicated sound person to ride the faders so I will be trying to figure a mix that sounds decent through the whole set.  It is a treat when we get a show/venue that provides sound and a sound man.

Bluegrass is one of the more difficult genre's to mix IMO, and I doubt you will get the consistency you desire with a single mic setup. One option is to use 2 mics - one at mouth level and another at instrument (waist) level. Dobro's are a bit of an issue since they are played flat and needs the mic to point down from above (similar to how a fiddle should be mic'd).

• August 6, 2019
  • fterougas
    Contributor - Level 1
    2019-08-05

Hi to everyone.

Before one week I'm an owner and big fan of a Behringer X-Touch.

I'm working with Logic Pro X and everything is more than perfect ... exept the issue that I have in the video.

Every time I touch (just touch, not moving) the fader, it steps down the volume by -0,1dB.

Does anyone know why?

The firmware is 1.15

Thank you in advance for your support.

read more...
    0 170
    • fterougas
      Kinghuru

It's funny that my problem, since updating the firmware is that my jog wheel is activated when I increase or decrease the volume slidder... this does not occur when I change the volume from the volume mixer inside the DAW, only when I change the volume on the hardware mixer itself...

• October 4, 2019
Go to page