Brand

Behringer

285,165 members
167,088 posts
  • Senora_music
    Contributor - Level 2
    2020-01-19

Hi,

Since I have Odyssey, I've noticed a loud noise when I use headphones (obviously it doesn't come from the white or pink noise source that machine has). I made a record with ableton live and the noise remain. It's very unprefessional and annoying. Is my unit defect or is it normal in this kind of synthesizers?

Anyone has noticed the same?

Thanks

read more...
    0 92
    • Senora_music
      RonaldFigura You didn't use the headphone output for recording, did you? There are to other outputs more suited for recording/amplification.
      • June 13, 2020
  • NigelCarter
    Contributor - Level 2
    2020-01-19

I was quite disappointed in the fact that the only place I could take a look at the Wing console was at the TMP booth and their reps didn't know anything about the board! They essentially had to tell everyone that they didn't know much about the MIDAS or Behringer consoles that were displayed because their staff wasn't given much information. This was one of the few products I was really hoping to get my hands on and learn more about at this years NAMM Show! Hopefully, Behringer will rethink their position on NAMM for future shows as there seemed to be a lot of people interested in their products that couldn't get additional information!

read more...
    0 166
  • JensSillyBeats
    Contributor - Level 1
    2020-01-19

Hi 

I have set up my Helix to change the XR18 snapshots for new songs, but I would also like to send (on channel 4 and 5) to my strymond effects. But nothing happens when I try. Is that not possible or am I doing it wrong?

From Helix: midi out --> XR18 in and XR18 out --> Strymon Mobius in and out --> BigSky.

It works greath with changing the XR18 snapshots but nothing happens on my Strymons. When I run midi directly to Strymon it works perfect.

read more...
    0 108
    • JensSillyBeats
      Paul_Vannatto

@JensSillyBeats wrote:

I have set up my Helix to change the XR18 snapshots for new songs, but I would also like to send (on channel 4 and 5) to my strymond effects. But nothing happens when I try. Is that not possible or am I doing it wrong?

You are correct. It is not possible with the XR18. What you need is midi merge, which the XR18 is unable to do. Midi is setup to either control the console or transfer thru.

• January 19, 2020
  • iammandalore
    Contributor - Level 1
    2020-01-19

My church just got an x32 and we've spent a lot of time watching videos on setup etc. I'd swear I remember seeing a video that showed a way to isolate a specific band in the EQ to listen to in order to hear what it sounds like. Say I wanted to listen to just the 1k-2k range to see what is coming through a channel in that range. Or maybe pick a range about 1k wide and sweep through to find a problematic sound. Is there a way to do that or am I going crazy and remembering things that didn't happen?

read more...
    0 278
    • iammandalore
      Paul_Vannatto

@iammandalore wrote:

I'd swear I remember seeing a video that showed a way to isolate a specific band in the EQ to listen to in order to hear what it sounds like. 

Unfortunately the X32 does not have that feature. But the Wing does.

• January 19, 2020
    • iammandalore
      CraigFowler

The "boost+sweep" method of eq generally involves (optionally soloing a channel,) boosting the gain on an eq band to make it really obvious, sweeping around until you find the worst part of the sound (start at a lower frequency rather than a higher one so if there is anything nasty you get the fundamental rather than a harmonic,) then once you found the bad part of the sound you drop the gain on the eq band.  However when you do this you'll hear the boost + sweep process everywhere that channel is routed; FOH + monitors alike, so it's best to do this in sound check\rehersal, rather than during the actual set. You can repeat this on all 4 bands of the eq on every channel if you want, however the more eq you use the less natural the sound becomes.  Less is more.  Decent mic selection, mic placement, mic technique, gain structure and hpfs do a whole lot more to fix a sound than eq can. 

As Paul says, the Wing has a feature that allows you to do this and only hear it in headphones, not FOH+monitors, but the X32 doesn't.

However, on the X32 if you have a spare bus you could make it work by assigning a channel to the bus (ensuring the bus isn't routed anywhere,) soloing + eqing the bus in headphones, then copying the new eq curve from the bus back to the original channel.  However the bus peqs have 6 eq bands, whereas the channel peq only has 4.  If using the console's own copy+paste function (at least in Edit,) you have to use bands 1+2+4+6 on the bus eq: bands 3+5 of the bus eq don't get copied across to a channel eq.

Another option to listen to a particular frequency range of a particular channel is to get creative with the key filter solo of the compressor on a spare channel\bus, setting its source and frequency to the channel\frequency range you're actually interested in.  However I'm not sure if you'd need a separate control surface to actually adjust the eq though, because Edit isn't clear about whether you can select a channel, solo the key filter on its compressor, then select another channel and adjust its eq whilst still having the key filter in solo.

• January 19, 2020
  • Senora_music
    Contributor - Level 2
    2020-01-19

Hi,

I am triying configure Ableton live and Crave with the purpose thaty the velocity of the notes I am sending from ableton affects to crave's velocity.

In Synth Tool I selected MIDI Velocity from Assing Value. I've been tryng through USB and MIDI port from audi interface but it doesn't work.

Must I do something with patchbay??

Thanks a lot

read more...
    0 162
    • Senora_music
      calli

Usually the velocity accents the noted played. (you can set the threshold in the synthtool.exe)

When you route the velocity to the ASSIGN patch you need to patch it to the port you want it to affect.

• January 21, 2020
  • carloscotton
    Contributor - Level 2
    2020-01-19

Hello, my name is Carlo and this is my first post here.

At the beginning of our live show the system did not responded properly (slow but was still running) and midi was responding improperly (I have a button that start the click but once pressed the click suddenly stopped... crazy) no sound from output. I solved the problem only powering off the mixer. Restarting my Mac running Mojave didn't solve the problem itself and the panic midi command too. I had to unplug the mixer.

I use XR18 (latest firmware) as audio interface connected to Mac Book Pro running mainstage (system is not overloaded). So 3 USB midi controllers + MacBook are connected via Hub USB to the mixer. In-hear monitor, air mic and stage piano are also connected in the audio channels. Everything is racked along with the router to wifi connection.
    When at home everything is ok of course. And we tried many times all together in studio. No problem. During the latest live I had this problem and was really bad. I was lucky because the first time happened before starting the show. We had to wait to restart everything ... panic ... but we did it.
    But the last time happened at the beginning and the  band started without me. I couldn't have power off the mixer avoiding the big  "Pooook". There is not a reset button. So I had to wait for the mixer man to close the live mixer channels. Stop the show... with 500 people dancing ... oh guys ... My colleagues where really disappointed and now our band is broken. I use Mainstage since 2014 and changed (before xr18 bought in 2018) many audio interface without having this problem. XR18 seemed to me the perfect setup. No more mixer and sound card with many cables around. The Mixer is racked with all the other gear. I thought this was the best solution and I was really happy because it worked ... since now.

I really appreciate if someone having the same issue could tell me what the hell of problem is this.
    People not using daw or mainstage please don't write me to  change my setup using hardware. I'm not interested. 

Thanks.

carlo

read more...
    0 188
    • carloscotton
      joegtech

Carlo,  I don't know if my recent unpleasant experience is related to yours but I'll share it.  

I was running a friend's XR-14 for a church service for a Christmas eve service.  The place was packed.  We had only been using the mixer for a few weeks. 

I was in the house with a touch screen capable Windows 10 PC.  He had a new android tablet on stage to help with monitors, etc.  

They were playing some Christmas carols before the service when we lost wireless connections to the mixer from both the PC and Android.  We were still using the internal access point, without any security : (   Security has since been enabled. 

Just prior to the loss of control I had muted the main because the director was giving verbal instructions to the group. so after loss of control we had no sound going through the mixer!

Also around the time of the loss of control I had attempted to connect my Android phone to the mixer.  I was going to walk the room with it.   However instead of starting the Behringer control app, I accidentally started up a third party control app on my phone.  It never connected to the mixer because I had not yet purchased the app.  So I doubt that could have been the problem. 

Rebooting the XR and control devices did not resolve the problem! 

I was able to regain control by connecting an ethernet crossover cable--that I retreived from my car-- from the PC to the XR.   Even then we still did not have access to the mixer via Wifi.   

I don't know what he did to resolve the problem after the event. I think he did a factory reset and reloaded his scenes.  He confirmed that he had the latest firmware.   The X Air app on the Android could not have been very old.   The X Air app on my PC could have been some months older since I purchased my XR some months earlier. 

My plan is to always have an old PC or Mac laptop and Ethernet crossover cable available so in a pinch I can control the XR via the cable.   I have my XR set to provide an IP network address to devices connected to the Ethernet port.  If/when I setup an external wireless access point/router,  I'll make sure both units are providing IP addresses with the same network address and not providing the same blocks of client/host addresses. 

Joe

• January 27, 2020
    • carloscotton
      carloscotton

Hi Joe,

Your problem is different. My XR18 is connected via ethernet to an external router providing IP adresses to hosts. With this configuration I didn't have any problem connecting via OSX or OS & Android using app Xair and Monitor.  The wireless connection of the XR  is not stable as the external router. Try this configuration. Hope this will help. @joegtech 

• January 27, 2020
  • argo_82
    Contributor - Level 1
    2020-01-18

Today I upgraded to Windows 10 1909. Upon restart, my UMC204HD failed to detect. In Device Manager, it now has "Unkown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed). I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling multiple versions of the driver (4.38 & 4.59) and no response. Would unplugging the device and plugging it back in solve this issue? The computer the UMC204HD is connected to is an audio server that is controlled by remote access so I cannot just unplug the device and plug back in, I would have to get someone to go on-site and try it. Is there anything else I can do remotely to fix the issue? I have tried a system restore point and uninstalling updates, however the UMC204HD is still not recognized.

read more...
    1 136
    • argo_82
      KenMitchell

Hi @argo_82 , 

Welcome to the community.  This is very strange in that the 1909 update is supposed to be using the exact same binaires as 1903.  All the 1909 updates does is flip a switch to turn on new features.  What is even stranger is the fact that a restore point didn't recover from it.  Unplugging and replugging "may" help if the interface is just locked up somehow but a more forceful clean re-install may be needed.  

Typcially, I'd recommend uninstalling the offending device in device manager and also selecting the option to delete all driver files associated with the device.  At this point, I unplug the device, reboot, and re-install the new drivers BEFORE plugging the device back in.  This will take some coordination since the system is remote. 

Hope this helps, 

Ken

• January 19, 2020
  • TRMCorp2
    Contributor - Level 2
    2020-01-18

I know there have been a few conversations about controlling an XR18 with an Xtouch Compact controller and haven't really seen a lot of success, but I have a theoretical question as I know very little about Midi. I was looking at the midi section of the XR18 manual and didn't see a midi setting to control the gain of an input. Is that not something you can do with midi controls? 

Thanks,

Justin

read more...
    0 109
    • TRMCorp2
      Paul_Vannatto

@TRMCorp2 wrote:

I was looking at the midi section of the XR18 manual and didn't see a midi setting to control the gain of an input. Is that not something you can do with midi controls? 

That is correct that you can't control the gain using midi CC or PC. But you could send the gain value using OSC via Sysex (see bottom of table). To generate these sysex strings, I have developed an app called SysexOscGen.

• January 18, 2020
  • BenjaminFarmer
    Contributor - Level 3
    2020-01-18

I am trying to take previously exported .SCN files and re-import them into the X32-Edit local scenes.  After hitting the Import button in the Show Control window and the (local) Scenes tab I get the expected system file picker window that pops up for me to select the .SCN file.  I select the file(s) and click the open button but nothing happens.  I was trying to bring them in from a usb with no success then copied them to the desktop and still nothing.

If I take that USB stick to the console and go through the Scenes->Utility->USB Drive/Import Scenes, it does load them into the console.

This seems to be an issue only with X32-Edit importing .SCN into the local scene storage.

read more...
    0 174
    • BenjaminFarmer
      Paul_Vannatto

@BenjaminFarmer wrote:

This seems to be an issue only with X32-Edit importing .SCN into the local scene storage.

I just tried it here and it works fine. Attach your scene file to your next post and I'll have a look at it.

• January 18, 2020
    • BenjaminFarmer
      BenjaminFarmer

Interesting, revisiting this now it is working.  Admittedly I did restart my PC between then and now but did not try it until now.

• January 18, 2020
  • TylerDarlington
    Contributor - Level 2
    2020-01-18

Hey there, 

If at all possible, it would be awesome if a feature could be implemented in the X32 and M32 allowing a user to change their channel strip input meters to RMS rather than Peak. Currenltly the consoles show Peak values and Peak is great for specific uses, but RMS is also amazing for setting your input gain. Setting your input gain to an RMS value allows for consistency. Robert Scovill demonstratres in these videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khBHcfyI5e8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2emrGuQS34Y

Tyler

read more...
    0 267
    • TylerDarlington
      TomBoisseau

I don't think I'd ever want that on the channel input meters.  I want to know the exact moment that the signal begins to clip!  RMS would not show that and would likely give a sense of false security, and perhaps a bit of "wonder" as to why the signal sounds distored but looks just fine on the meters.

Tom

• January 18, 2020
    • TylerDarlington
      TylerDarlington

Hey Tom,

Thank you for the response!

Though a singal is peaking doesnt mean that the channel is going the behave properly amongst all the thresholds of compressors and everything else in your signal chain. If you have no consistency, how do you have repeatable results? The compressors on the X32 have RMS dection or Peak, why not setting the input gain in the same way? They both have their advantages. 

For example, have you ever tried to dangle some keys in front of a condenser mic? Can you get any usable signal out of that condenser without seeing the channel clip om your input meter? You can't without seeing your meter hit the red. At some point you will have to embrace that signal clipping to get it to a level that is heard by the listener. 

Check out Spectra 1964 and why they use limiters as the first thing in their signal chain, after a micropone and even before a mic pre. Check it out:

https://podbay.fm/podcast/1039639115/e/1578643200

If you watch the previous Youtube videos, this method is prefered by the dude who has mixed for Tom Petty and Prince, and It does mircales for him. Plus, he implemeneted the feature on Avid consoles. Though I know that might be "The Band Wagon Fallacy" it works for me, extremely well. I'd rather have the feature and be able to use it, While people who don't want to use it, simply not use it. 

This console is awesome and jam packed with tools, this is a tool that would help me work better. 

• January 18, 2020
    • TylerDarlington
      KevinMaxwell

When someone asks for a feature to be added I always hope with a digital console that it would be another option added not replacing the way it works now. Don’t change the behavior for everyone but give us the option of choosing the way we want it to work. So in this case don’t change it to only RMS let us chose if we want it Peak or RMS.

• January 18, 2020
Go to page