Brand

Behringer

294,759 members
177,888 posts
  • nsimcox
    Contributor - Level 1
    2020-02-01

Hello,

I am trying to record vocal and guitar using the UM2 with Audacity software on Windows 10.

The vocal is getting recorded through the first XLR input but the guitar, which is plugged in to the second

instrument input is not getting recorded.  When I test the recording levels, the vocal is coming through but the guitar is not.  Please help. Thanks!

read more...
    0 119
    • nsimcox
      masrobby

I have same trouble with you. I'm getting frustated to setting it on my laptop 

• May 5, 2020
    • nsimcox
      Klaas1954 Me too. Help please.
      • August 23, 2020
  • MarkSwanson
    Contributor - Level 3
    2020-02-01

Hi and thank you in advance. I use the XR18 regularly, but have never understood how to properly route the stereo effects. For example, I am using the Stereo guitar amp sim on one channel, and running an electric guitar directly in. I have it set as an insert. I can't get the amp sim to accept that channel on both the A and the B sides of the effect. Is this normal? Why have a "stereo" amp sim if it can't be used as stereo? Is it normal that any one input will only work on either A or B and not on both? Would there be any advantage to using the Amp Sim in a different way, such as on a bus instead of as an insert? 

read more...
    0 333
    • MarkSwanson
      RexBeckett

@MarkSwanson 

Some FX processors, like the Guitar Amp, have Dual and Stereo versions. With the Dual version, each half can be inserted into a separate channel or bus. The Stereo type can be inserted into a linked pair of channels or buses.

One way to get a stereo effect on a guitar is to link two channels but use the same preamp input for both. Now you can insert the Stereo Guitar Amp and it will generate a stereo output from, effectively, a mono input.

Another approach is to use the Stereo Guitar Amp in send/return mode. Send the guitar channel to the FX Send bus (post-fader signal tap) but remove the direct feed from the channel to the Main LR mix. This is done on the channel's Main tab by clicking the LR button so it is off (grey).

• February 1, 2020
    • MarkSwanson
      MarkSwanson

Thanks so much. That makes sense, and I had considered both of those soluions but I thought there might be an easier way around it. I'll probably try them both. 
      I am on an Android tablet. When in the Effects window, I see the "Insert" button, and then the two spaces to the right of it that evidently are to assign the "A" and the "B" parts of the effect... then in yellow, in-between, there are these "ON" buttons that confuse me. They don't seem to do anything, either grayed out or lit, what are they for? They don't seem to turn the effect on or off. 

• February 1, 2020
    • MarkSwanson
      RexBeckett

@MarkSwanson wrote:

Thanks so much. That makes sense, and I had considered both of those soluions but I thought there might be an easier way around it. I'll probably try them both. 
      I am on an Android tablet. When in the Effects window, I see the "Insert" button, and then the two spaces to the right of it that evidently are to assign the "A" and the "B" parts of the effect... then in yellow, in-between, there are these "ON" buttons that confuse me. They don't seem to do anything, either grayed out or lit, what are they for? They don't seem to turn the effect on or off. 

@MarkSwanson 

Assuming that you are using the standard X-Air Android app: The yellow On buttons are enables for each side of an inserted FX processor. They allow you to turn each side on or off independently. The On buttons are mirrored on the selected channel's Config tab but are labelled Insert. They only appear there in Extended view (S/E button).

To work as an inserted effect, the red Insert button must be on, a channel or bus must be selected in the pull-down box and the yellow On button must be on. When inserting into stereo linked channel or buses, the two On buttons are linked.

When using the FX slot in send/return mode, make sure that the red Insert button is off. The other fields are ignored in this mode.

• February 1, 2020
    • MarkSwanson
      MarkSwanson

Thanks again... I am ready to give this a shot. Back to my original question- I have set things up as an insert, with two channels linked and sent to each side of the stereo amp effect. The channels are hard-panned of course. I realized that unless I use a special Y-jack guitar cable to plug into both channels that I would just be getting signal to one side, correct? 

So if I go into the channel "config" page and set the inputs of both channels to the same channel input, then I would be all set- is that right? 

• February 1, 2020
    • MarkSwanson
      RexBeckett

@MarkSwanson wrote:

Thanks again... I am ready to give this a shot. Back to my original question- I have set things up as an insert, with two channels linked and sent to each side of the stereo amp effect. The channels are hard-panned of course. I realized that unless I use a special Y-jack guitar cable to plug into both channels that I would just be getting signal to one side, correct? 

So if I go into the channel "config" page and set the inputs of both channels to the same channel input, then I would be all set- is that right? 

@MarkSwanson 

You've got it. It's that easy. 

If you are feeding direct from a guitar, you should use the High-impedance inputs - 1 or 2.

• February 1, 2020
  • yoMuzicMan
    Contributor - Level 1
    2020-02-01

Just got a new XR18 and was surprised at how bad the built in wifi is.  I only plan to use this at home for band rehearsal.  I configured it to be a client on my home wifi network.  My wifi network uses (3) Google wifi devices on the 1st and 2nd floor of the home.  The XR18 is in the basement directly below one of the wifi devices (less than 10 feet away).

With the XR18's built in antenna pointed at the ceiling towards one of the Google wifi devices directly above it, the XR18 couldn't connect to the network.  Adjusting the antenna so it was horizontal, it could connect.  After researching wifi antenna placement, this makes sense as to why it works better.  Now I could connect to the XR18 remotely.  However I would often encounter disconnect messages from the XR18 app.  When pinging the IP address of the XR18, I can see many timeouts.  Finally, I purchased an upgraded antenna for $8.  With it installed and oriented the same way as before, I have a solid connection to the wifi network with 0 timeouts after several thousand attempts.

Additionally, I used a wifi analyzer on my phone to compare signal strength of the antennas just to add confirmation the new attenna is different.  I momentarily configured the XR18 as an access point so I could see it in the analyzer.  Standing 20 feet in front of the XR18 with no antenna, the signal measured -80,  with the stock antenna -50, with the upgraded antenna -40.

In my situation, an upgraded antenna made enough of a difference to have a better experience using the XR18's built in wifi.  Obviously, a dedicated router or hardwired ethernet connection are the best.  But the purpose of this post is to share my findings using an upgraded antenna.

Here is the antenna that I'm using:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NVG5YZG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hope this helps others.

read more...
    1 180
  • JohnShepherd
    Contributor - Level 3
    2020-02-01

This is long winded. I can't find 1 video that perfectly shows every step of the routing process to do this on youtube. Not even Drew Brashler. They all skip something (Like the Outs or XLR sections!) Behringer vids are the worst ever imho. So...

I have a X32 Compact, and 2 S16's. Connected Cat5 from mixer AES50A to #1 S16 AES50A, then from AES50B on #1 to AES50B on #2, set 1-8 on #1, 9-16 on #2. Looking at routing, only 1 S16 shows as connected, yet with a mic plugged into In1 on #2 S16, I have input. 

AES50 inputs are all A - 1-8,9-16,17-24,25-32. 

Outputs are 1-8,9-16. But I cannot get any signal back to the speakers. I have the 16s separated for larger stage hookups. So, I want to use Out # 8 for my L Main out, Out # 16 for my R Main out. 

XLR outputs are broken up into groups of 4 - why when everything else is groups of 8? I have Output 8 assigned to L Main Out, and Out 16 to R Main Out - no signal on the Main output levels of the mixer. 

I would love a spelled out completely document for this. Or, Is there any place that I can download a scene that has all this preconfiguerd for my setup I can load so I might understand how this is to be done? Thanks for understanding my frustration. My pc recording studio setup is waaaay more complex, yet I cannot route signal to the outs. Yikes. 

read more...
    0 189
    • JohnShepherd
      RexBeckett

@JohnShepherd 

The first issue is that you need to connect the AES50-A port of S16 #2 to AES50-B of S16 #1. This is why the second S16 is not showing and it would prevent the outputs working. On the S16, the AES50-B port is only used to connect downstream stageboxes. It cannot receive sync or outputs.

If you still have problems with the routing, save your scene and attach the .scn file to your post. See Choose File button below.

Routing in the X32 system is quite complex because of the flexibility. The recent V4.xx firmware has added routing flexibility so can be even more confusing. It is probably easiest if we work with your scene so you can see how to do it. Some users have found that this diagram helps to understand the basics of routing. It is missing the recent V4.xx point-to-point routing but otherwise still applies.

• January 31, 2020
    • JohnShepherd
      JohnShepherd

Now that I reread what you said, I have that it's done already. Further, if I have mic signal from Input 1 of S16 #2 to the board, how is it working if only 1 S16 shows up? Very lost.

• January 31, 2020
    • JohnShepherd
      RexBeckett

@JohnShepherd wrote:

Now that I reread what you said, I have that it's done already. Further, if I have mic signal from Input 1 of S16 #2 to the board, how is it working if only 1 S16 shows up? Very lost.

@JohnShepherd 

If it is currently connected X32 AES50-A <--> AES50-A S16 #1 AES50-B <--> AES50-A S16 #2 then that is correct. The next question is what firmware version you are running on the X32? Firmware V4.00 and V4.01 had some problems with stagebox handling. If you haven't already, update to firmware V4.02.

he next phase is to get your scene so we can check the routing.

T

• January 31, 2020
  • JohnShepherd
    Contributor - Level 3
    2020-02-01

Possibility of winning the dumb question of the day - I'm in hopes for the ability to connect a qwerty keyboard to the Compact for purposes of typing in info in scene naming/saving. Is this possible? Thanks much, Shep

0 217
    • JohnShepherd
      RexBeckett

@JohnShepherd 

I'm afraid not, John. You could connect a laptop to the network port and run X32 Edit. Channel, bus and scene/snippet names are much easier to enter this way.

• January 31, 2020
    • JohnShepherd
      Paul_Vannatto

@JohnShepherd 

Another option is a Raspberry Pi running X32-Edit.

• February 1, 2020
    • JohnShepherd
      PatrickGMaillot well.... nope So many things that could still be done with X32 to enhance the console, and will probably never see light. Your best bet is a wireless keyboard (i.e. a keyboard connected to an ESP32 of some sort providing you with the capability to enter OSC commands [so you can provide text data] directly from that keyboard to an automatically WIFI connected console).
      • February 2, 2020
    • JohnShepherd
      Virtue67-

Hi,

The way I do it is to use my Table with the Mixing Station Pro app. It is easy and quick to name and re-name.

To do a setup from Table is easy and very quick.

• February 5, 2020
  • Showdoctor
    Contributor - Level 1
    2020-01-31

Hi all, recently added the XR12 to my gigging setup. Managed to save all the snapshots that I need to the onboard memory 1-64. Does anybody know how to backup that whole collection to a file on my PC, or do I have to save each scene individually to a file?

Read a few threads about "shows" & "scenes" on the android app but they might as well have been printed in Russian.

Pretty pleased with the setup, taken me a while to fire snapshot changes in via midi from Ableton Live but that's all part of the fun with new gear. Only drawbacks for me are 1. not able to play MP3 files on USB & 2. No midi thru from the midi out port, had to buy a splitter.

Any help would be appreciated.

Colin

read more...
    0 192
    • Showdoctor
      RexBeckett

@Showdoctor 

Hello Colin, welcome to the community.

There is not a way to backup all XAir Snapshots as a group. The only way is to load each Snapshot on the mixer and save it as a scene on the control device (PC or Tablet). Snapshots are great for fast configuration changes on XAir mixers but it does make sense to keep backups on a PC using X Air Edit. This makes it possible to transfer them to another XAir mixer if required.

You can backup scenes using Android XAir apps. Shows are really just folders which may contain one or more scenes. Tablet apps store scenes in different formats to X Air Edit and other apps so they are not interchangeable. If you ever need help with configuration settings, it helps if you attach your scene saved by X Air Edit.

• January 31, 2020
  • Duvi1974
    Contributor - Level 1
    2020-01-31

My impression for a RD-78 gear. Nostalgia is the key word. This is concept art, to determine the visual style. Things that are missing or things that seem to be wrong or overkill on this design are up to the Behringer engineers ?

5EBE83D9-3158-4AD0-BF19-599BFBC6864A.jpeg
    read more...
    1 86
  • Duvi1974
    Contributor - Level 1
    2020-01-31

My impression for a RD-78 gear. Nostalgia is the key word. This is concept art, to determine the visual style. Things that are missing or things that seem to be wrong or overkill on this design are up to the Behringer engineers ?

5EBE83D9-3158-4AD0-BF19-599BFBC6864A.jpeg
    read more...
    0 131
  • BluMagoo
    Contributor - Level 1
    2020-01-31

Hi

I just got my X-Touch this morning, and I love it.
    (First Behringer product too.....I'll get that K2 soon as well =P )

I'm using FL Studio 20.
    The important parts of the X-Touch are pretty self explanatory, but the function buttons

on the second row below the screen ( F1 to F8 ) seem to serve no purpose in FL studio.
    However, F1 to F8 on my qwerty keyboard open up different windows in FL such as the mixer, playlist window, piano roll, channel rack etc....
    Is there a way to assign these function keys on the X-touch so that they open the same windows as those function keys on my PC keyboard ??
    Thanks

read more...
    0 151
    • BluMagoo
      DaveMorrison

Hi @BluMagoo 

Aside from the different operating modes, nothing on the X-Touch is assignable. It's a clone of a Mackie Control (plus a mode for Behringer/Midas digital mixer control). All your assignments will be made in FL. Look for information and tutorials about FL and Mackie Control. 

• January 31, 2020
  • dxcxbx
    Contributor - Level 2
    2020-01-30

I am using the UMC404 HD with my late 2011 Macbook Pro through Logic Pro X. When I try to play audio back it is sounds distroted after a few seconds will stop playing entirely. I adjusted the project settings to 192 hz and 24 bit but it didn't help at all. I also tried increasing the buffer rate as high as possible with no change as well. 

I tested the USB cable with my old interface (M-Audio Fastrack) and everything was working fine.

I am stuck and getting frustrated with this product. Please help!

read more...
    0 246
    • dxcxbx
      KenMitchell

Hi David ( @dxcxbx ), 

Welcome to the community.  That's 192 "K" hz not 192 Hz.  That's the wrong direction to test for a performance problem.  It sounds like your audio clips aren't at your project rate.   I'd recommend starting a new, simple project at either 44.1K or 48K, record something, and then try playing it back.  If that works, take a look at your audio clips and make sure they are all the same bitrate and they match the project bitrate. 

Hope this helps, 

Ken

• January 30, 2020
    • dxcxbx
      dxcxbx

Thank you for the suggestion,

I started a new project at both 44.1 and 48. I was still having the issue. The recorded audio is not the only probelm; I also lose the metronome and any other sound I listen to outside Logic with the interface as the assigned audio output.

• January 30, 2020
    • dxcxbx
      KenMitchell

Are you trying to play outside audio at the same time you have Logic open?  This can cause all sorts of problems since each app may be trying to set the bitrate of the interface to a different setting.  What OS version are you running?  Do you have any other KEXT shims installed, such as SoundFlower or Jack? 

Ken

• January 30, 2020
    • dxcxbx
      dxcxbx

I am not listening to any outside audio while Logic is open. I am running El Capitan and I'm not sure what a KEXT shim is so I don't believe I have any installed. 

• February 1, 2020
    • dxcxbx
      dxcxbx

can anyone help me with this?

• March 14, 2020
Go to page