Behringer

Brand

Behringer

293,681 members
176,701 posts
  • KevinMaxwell
    Super Contributor - Level 2
    2019-10-14

Ableton for playback into the card inputs.

I have a musical coming up where I am told there will be playback of 4 tracks from a computer running Ableton. I don’t know if this is on a Mac or a PC. This playback will be under the control of the main keyboard player. I am also told there will be 3 keyboard players and your typical guitar bass and percussionists. We will need to give monitor mixes to the pit musicians. And since there will be a click track they will have to be on headphones or some sort of hardwired IEM. I will be using 2 Midas M32 mixers at FOH for all of the wireless mics and other mics and inputs for this show like I usually do. This place has an X32Compact that they pull out for their Black Box shows. They bought it on my recommendation. So I was thinking of using their X32Compact as the USB audio interface for the 4 Tracks from the playback computer. If I understand correctly Ableton should work fine for this and if it is a Mac it should be plug and play and if it is a PC I will need ASIO drivers. Is this correct? I also assume that I will have to set the routing to take use up a minimum of 8 inputs.

I would then plan on using the X32Compact as a stage box for the pit instruments to one of the M32 mixers. And also use the X32Compact for the Monitor mixer for the pit. And send back the mixed vocal mics to the X32Compact. I would do this thru the AES50 using shielded cat5 cabling.

I have a meeting this afternoon about this show so I will know more after that and it would be nice to know if there is any reason that my layout plan will or won’t work.

Is there anything I am missing or does anyone have any suggestions?

read more...
    0 161
    • KevinMaxwell
      KenMitchell

Hi Kevin ( @KevinMaxwell ), 

I don't see anything that looks off.  We did something similar a while back with an X32 Rack as the stage box and an X32 at FOH.  You are correct that you will have to use 8 inputs for the 4 playback channels.  I'd recommend assigning a monitor engineer for the pit musicians to keep them happy during each performance.  One thing to consider and that is to not have the vocals in the musicians' IEMs.  I'd still provide them back to the X32 Compact but leave it up to the musicians and their monitor engineer to decide.  Our musicians found the dialogue to be tiring after a while. 

Hope this helps, 

Ken

• October 14, 2019
  • Talos
    Regular Contributor - Level 1
    2019-10-14

Finally managed to get Synth Tool working and updated to 1.0.7 

but still getting bugs with the arp when latched, single notes can some times cause it to freeze and the only solution is to reboot, but the biggest bug is when playing chords, if say I play 3 notes it cycles through as it should, then I play another 3 notes it switches to them and cycles through all good and expected so far, but any further notes played just get added, so if I play another 3 notes I end up with a 6 note arp.

Also when latched and in random mode it sometimes plays notes I have not played usually high notes well outside the keyboards range. This is my second Odyssey the first was returned because of this behavior and when I received the second and it was the same I thought I'd wait till I could get the update to work so I could rule that out. 

Anyone else have this problem?  

read more...
    1 548
    • Talos
      spaceagedevice

Yes I am experiencing the same issue as you with the added notes on the arpeggiator. I am running into an issue of the arpeggiator not playing single notes and the only workaround is to record a one note sequence. I have sent a technical service ticket about the issue. Everything else on the Odyssey works just fine. Being that the digital aspects of the synth are the arp/sequencer/fx, I imagine only firmware will fix those issues and not a result of the analog part of the hardware. 

• October 16, 2019
    • Talos
      Talos

Well I;m on to my 3rd Odyssey same bug on all three its ridiculous, Behringer say their working on a patch but cannot say when 

• October 29, 2019
  • OttovanZanten
    Contributor - Level 1
    2019-10-14

My Neutron is behaving quite strangely. When I plug something in to the Att2 Out it changes the sound quite a bit. It's like it's changing the Pulse Width. If I then connect the same or a different patchcable to the Att1 In it changes even more. It's like it turns down the PW2 from 2 o clock to 8 o clock.

I can turn it by hand, but it seems like unintentional behavior and sometimes it changes my sound quite drastically and when you have a complicated patch it can be quite tricky to find out why your synth is suddenly making almost no sound even though you just routed something to the Attenuators that are turned all the way down. You would expect to change at all untill you start turning the Attenuators.

I added a video to demonstrate what's happening/ I would really appreciate it if somebody that owns a Neutron can try doing what I did here and let me know if this is how they all are of mine is somehow malfunctioning.

I just updated from Firmware 1.0 to 2.02 and it didn't change anything by the way.

read more...
    0 494
    • OttovanZanten
      AndyButler

Yes, that's normal for Neutron.

ATT2 Out is Normalled to both ATT1 In and Pulse Width in.

When you insert a cable, ATT2 is no longer connnected to ATT1 In and Pulse Width, but ATT1 In and Pulse Width In (both oscillators) are still connected together.

Technically (and this point can be safely ignored) the output from ATT2 was providing an effective ground and preventing ATT1 In and Pulse Width from interacting.

Anyway, connecting inputs together produces "unpredictable results", as you discovered.
      Also the pots for pulse width are providing what Behringer claim is a "useful" DC offset to the input of ATT1

Behringer advised me not to use ATT2 Out when needing reliable pulse width! They didn't supply a workaround.

The normalling of ATT2 OUT to ATT 1In is of course not only a cause of issues, it's also somewaht useless. You need to patch the connection anyway in order to cancel the normalisation to Pulse Width.

Your workaround is to patch some 0V voltage from the patchbay to the PW in socket. SLEW Out does the trick

• November 16, 2019
  • Virtue67-
    2019-10-14

I am still new to the Routing & scene scenario.

1. How do I save my X32 rooting so I can save it including to USB?

2. How do I save a Show?

0 472
    • Virtue67-
      GaryHiggins

@Virtue67- Everything, including all routing (that CAN be saved that is) is included in your saved scenes. Restrictions as to what gets installed or changed with that scene are done on the reloading of it using safes if desired-but all the info is saved to every scene. Default scene load installs all settings including the routing.

TO SAVE A SHOW TO USB DRIVE

Press the VIEW button in the SCENES section.
      Place the USB Drive into the USB RECORDER port located to the left of the LCD screen.
      Press UTILITY located to the right of the LCD screen, it will light up green.
      Click the 6th encoder [EXPORT SHOW "USB DRIVE"].
      Using the 4th & 5th encoder enter your desired show name.
      Click the 6th encoder [SAVE], the message "SAVING SHOW FILES & ALL SCENE FILES" will be displayed along with a progress bar, wait a few seconds.
      When this message disappears, the show has been saved to your USB drive.

TO LOAD A SHOW FROM USB DRIVE

Press the VIEW button in the SCENES section.
      Place the USB Drive into the USB RECORDER port located to the left of the LCD screen.
      Press UTILITY located to the right of the LCD screen, it will light up green.
      Click the 5th encoder [IMPORT SHOW "USB DRIVE].
      Rotate the 1st encoder to choose the show file from the USB drives contents.
      Click the 1st encoder to select the show file.
      Click the RIGHT PAGE arrow to confirm that you wish to load the show and overwrite all scenes.
      The message "LOADING SCENES" will appear along with a progress bar.
      Once the message disappears the entire show file will be uploaded.

• October 13, 2019
    • Virtue67-
      PatrickGMaillot >>>Everything, including all routing (that CAN be saved that is) is included in your saved scenes. Almost true, at least true at 99%. There are 3 sets of parameters that are not part of scenes or shows and can be saved if needed, especially if you want to fully duplicate a desk to another (not your case here). External utilities have been developed for this. -Patrick
      • October 14, 2019
    • Virtue67-
      PerHeldal

The short answer is; you can not. Not complete that is. Unfortunately there are some settings that do not get saved in scenes or shows. There are workarounds developed by third parities, but come on. How can anyone design a device like this without including a complete copy/backup solution in this time and age? For my use I have a X32-rack that sometimes is used as a stagebox and sometimes as a standalone mixer. Having to manually fix the signal routing manyally every time is **bleep**bersome. It should have been as easy as to load "stagebox", "mon-mix" or "foh-mix" scenes.

• October 18, 2019
    • Virtue67-
      PerHeldal

@PerHeldal wrote:

... every time is **bleep**bersome.

What? Couldn't resist  Every time I drop by this "forum" I'm stunned. Should we be scensoring syllables now?

• November 4, 2019
  • mkomon
    Contributor - Level 1
    2019-10-14

Has anybody seen the cheat sheets that were promised under Classic Beats RD-8 Episode1 video? ("The RD-8 Resources (cheat sheets etc) will be released to https://community.musictribe.com as soon as the RD-808 hits the stores.")

read more...
    5 1,204
  • Virtue67-
    2019-10-13

I had a dicussion with a friend of mine, about Midas Preamps in the X32, he said to me that is it the same as the Behringer analog mixer preamps, that is why he will keep his Allen & Heath QU24 mixer.

This got me thinking is it fact or does it have high-end preamps in the X32?

read more...
    0 233
    • Virtue67-
      GaryHiggins

They are not the same, the X32 preamps, though not Midas Pro preamps, were designed by Midas for the X32 desk. They MAY (I honestly do not know) possibly be used on some of the newer Behringer mixers, but that would only mean the newer analog Behringer mixers have improved preamps installed. I know a few products have had preamp upgrades, one in particular the ADA8200 has the newer Midas designed preamps where its sibling ADA8000 had the older preamps in.

• October 13, 2019
  • VadimMaptih
    Contributor - Level 3
    2019-10-13

It will be extremely useful for live situations to find problematic frequencies that need to be cut without disturbing the audience and performers:

to have an eq sweep feature that's only heard in solo mode in headphones.

Put on headphones sweep for the bad frequency, than cut it with channel eq.

read more...
    0 171
    • VadimMaptih
      KevinMaxwell

@VadimMaptih wrote:

It will be extremely useful for live situations to find problematic frequencies that need to be cut without disturbing the audience and performers:

to have an eq sweep feature that's only heard in solo mode in headphones.

Put on headphones sweep for the bad frequency, than cut it with channel eq.

The challenge to doing what you want is that the input channel headphone Solo sends are usually pre all channel processing. And this is the way that all of the mixers that I can think of work. I don’t have a mixer handy to check this recommended trick out on, so I don’t know if there is a simpler way to do this.

So you need to get the signal post EQ. The one way to do what you want that comes to mind is to use a spare channel and a spare Mix Bus send setup for this. If you have a spare channel and Mix Bus send. Have this spare channel assigned to only feed the spare Mix Bus and make sure that this Mix Bus isn’t assigned to anything.   Then you just need to assign the channel you are trying to EQ also to this spare channel. So you have the input double assigned. Then you only solo this spare Mix Bus and you will hear a feed that is the same feed as the channel you want to EQ and you can play with the EQ on the spare double assigned channel and the changes you make will only be heard in the headphones (if you have set it up correctly). Then after you make the EQ changes you want you can do the same to the live channel or you could copy and paste the EQ from the spare channel to the live channel. This would need to be done with care as to be sure you are only pasting in the EQ.   

I was thinking you could skip the channel double assigning method and just assign the channel to a spare Mix Bus because you can setup a Mix Bus to have the solo be AFL (After Fader Level) and you could play with the EQ on the spare Mix Bus. This might work better for you but the Mix Bus EQ is a 6 band EQ and the channel is a 4 Band EQ so you probably can’t copy and paste it. And I don’t know if there are any other differences between the EQs. You could always try it. And after a while of doing this you might actually train your ear to be able to pick out the needed EQ changes without having to do this trick.

• October 13, 2019
  • AlanMu
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-10-13

I have an AudioTechnica System 10 wireless handheld mic that I use each week in a school cafeteria as a podium audio source for our church.  We're temporarily in there while our church is under construction.  Lately something has changed with it so that it rings easily, but doesn't amplify the audio very much.  I assume someone was messing with one of the physical gain adjustments during the week when we don't have control over access.  

I mix the microphones with a Behringer X-Air XR12.  There's a gain built in to the mic, also on the back of the mic receiver, also on the Behringer X-Air.  Then there are the XR12 mixer levels for the main output bus and the speaker output bus.  Then there is a level knob on the amplified loudspeakers that I use. 

I purchased a Shark FBQ100 to try to help with the feedback, and it's installed on the output of the mixer and sends output to the loudspeakers.  I'm not sure it does much, although I did run it through the auto-tune function.

What should be the strategy for all of those separate gains and levels to try to get the most out of the audio, but limit feedback?  I'm not an audio engineer, but know how to set things up and plug things in to each other. 8)

read more...
    0 183
    • AlanMu
      SethUldall

@AlanMu

Hi Alan.  Purely my opinion and others may differ.  There's a couple points

The fact that it's not amplifying the audio very much yet is also feeding back easily leads me to believe you may have a feedback loop in one of your FX busses.  Open each FX buss and verify that all of the FX channels are all the way down in each of the FX busses. The only place you should add FX is on the main or aux busses.

As far as the "gain structure" goes, having not used your wireless microphone system before, I'd start with the mic all the way up, receiver all the way up, and adjust for proper input signal in the XR12, roughly -20 dB on spiritted "test test" in the mic.  If there's any distortion, I'd try turning down the receiver output a little, then readjust input gain.  If that doesn't solve it, put it back and try the same with the output adjustment on the mic.

Things that traditionally contribute to feedback are reverb, compression/makeup gain, and excessive EQ anywhere in the signal chain.  Keeping the microphone as far away as is practical and behind the speakers helps minimize feedback too.

I hope some of this helps Alan.

• October 13, 2019
  • mixerking
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-10-13

No menu tabs showing on android 8.1 or 9.

0 148
    • mixerking
      mixerking

HI , had same problem with newer tv boxes , download Mixing Station Air , free , Google PLaystore , with additions around £5.

Same as xair  but laid out different , few minutes to work it out. Very good.

• October 13, 2019
  • mixerking
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-10-13
    0 145
Go to page