Behringer

Brand

Behringer

290,117 members
172,712 posts
  • sounddesigner
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-05-31

So I am using an X32 Compact with an SD8 stage box and trying to send outputs 1-8 to separate MixBuses (separate from what MixBuses 1-8, which are assigned to the outputs of the X32.)

I have them connected via AES50a. Getting the inputs setup was very straight forward, and already patched by default. I have my X32 XLR inputs as channels 1-16, and the SD8 is 17-24. I was even able to assign some of the faders in the first bank to A01, A02, etc. Very simple and intuitive.

However, I'm having difficulty assigning the SD8's outputs to separate MixBuses. Assigning different outputs for MixBuses doesn't appear to be as straight forward. For instance, I thought it would be as easy as just selecting MixBus 9 and assigning it to SD8 output 1.

By default, it appears the SD8 is assigned to mirror the XLR outputs of the X32 Compact (1-8). I need to keep those separate. When I send to MixBus 1, it sends to both the XLR output of the X32 and Output 1 of the SD8.

Via the AES50a tab, I tried assigning AES50a (Outputs 1-8) to Out 9-16. I've tried flipping the switch on the SD8 between the different modes; 1-8 and 9-16, but nothing appears to work. 

The "Out 1-16" tab is straight forward, you choose an Analog Output and you choose a category/output signal (here I would choose MixBus). However, it only gives Analog Output as an option (no AES50 in the list)... 9-16 on that page has an asterisk next to each channel and they are all assigned to the MixBuses accordingly. Output 9 to Mixbus 9, etc.

Is there a way for me to assign, for instance, Output 1 of the SD8 to MixBus 9 and so on? And have Outputs 1-8 of the board remain separate on MixBuses 1-8? Am I overlooking something obvious?

Thanks in advance

read more...
    0 728
    • sounddesigner
      DaveMorrison

@sounddesigner 

Output 1-16 is not an analog output. It's an intermediate stage. After your outputs are staged on Output 1-16, then you can assign those to the XLR out (Mixer) and/or AES50 (stagebox).

• May 31, 2019
    • sounddesigner
      sounddesigner

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the quick response. So is it a misnomer in the X32? Or does that subheading change when something else is done? It says "Analog Outputs" in the left column/list for me and AES50 is not a choice there. How do I get that to change?

• May 31, 2019
    • sounddesigner
      Paul_Vannatto

@sounddesigner wrote:

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the quick response. So is it a misnomer in the X32? Or does that subheading change when something else is done? It says "Analog Outputs" in the left column/list for me and AES50 is not a choice there. How do I get that to change?

What Dave meant to say was that Outputs 1-16 screen was not directly connected to physical analog outputs (it use to be). Rather it is one of the staging areas where individual signals can be assigned to virtual outputs in order to make up banks of 8. These banks can then be assigned to the screens that are directly attached to physical outputs, such as the Card Out, AES50 (A and B) and XLR Out (banks of 4). The latter (XLR Out) is directly connected to the XLR-M jacks on the back of the console.

• May 31, 2019
    • sounddesigner
      sounddesigner

Hi Paul,

Thank you. And I aologize for my confusion.

So I see on the 'Out 1-16' tab, Output 9-16 have asterisks next to them, saying, "the outputs are currently not connected to any physical output connector on this device. Please check the 'xlr out' routing tab."

However, when I go to the 'xlr out' tab, I only see two lists, Outputs 1-4 and Outputs 5-8. So it's just showing the xlr connections on the back of the board. 9-16 is not on that tab.

Am I misunderstanding all of this? And is it that I can't assign 9-16 as separate outputs? And I have to repurpose a patch of 4 of my outputs from the board? As in, I can only have 8 total (combination of board and SD8)?

• June 1, 2019
    • sounddesigner
      DaveMorrison

@sounddesigner The asterisks are reminders that the board doesn't have physical outputs. Go ahead an assign what ever you want on 9-16. Then Go to the AES50 A/B tab. Go to the OUT 9-16 heading (source) and set it for AES A 1-8 (output). I presume this is where you want it. This will put that block of signal on the AES50-A port on channel 1-8. 

• June 1, 2019
  • drmuey
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-05-31

I’ve read other posts/web sites about this but can not find an actual solution.

I am an amature hobbyist and I am using XAir XR18 in my home to control our sessions. I also want to record the sessions so I do USB to my macbook pro and Garageband.

We have the mix sounding ok w/ the left/right XLR outputs to powered speakers and some powered monitors via the aux busses.

My mac’s audio input and garageband’s audio inputs connect to XAir XR18 ok via USB.

The 1/4" instruments (hi-z (1 and 2) or preamped) come through well enough, still too weak to really use though.

All the microphones (XLR) are barely audible.

In garageband:

• I see the meter move for any track/input I am using (XLR mics are about half what the 1/4" ones are)
      • for grins I tried w/ or w/out phantom power on the track w/ no difference
    • When I record a given track its display is 99.9% a flat line w/ the occasional small blip
    • When I play back the recording:
      • 1/4" stuff is audible but not enough to be usable
      • Mics/XLR is barely audible
    • Each track’s “Record Level” is all the way down and the slider is disabled.
    • upping a track’s output volume and gain helps a little w/ the record level but that also makes it more likely we'll max out and clip/sound bad.

So, assuming default settings for everything except individual track sliders, and with all of that:

How do we get everything configured so that the output to the USB is stronger w/out maxing other levels out? 

Thanks!

read more...
    0 1,374
    • drmuey
      RexBeckett

@drmuey 

Hi Dan, welcome to the community.

A low recording level means that the pre-amp gains are too low. The mix can sound OK if channel faders and/or monitor speaker gains are raised to compensate.

The way to fix this is to set a good gain structure throughout the sound system. This starts with setting pre-amp gains so that the input meters peak at about -12dBFS (or slightly below). Set channel faders, initially, about -5dB to 0dB. Set the Main LR fader to 0dB and adjust monitor speaker gains for a good level. From this point you can adjust individual channel faders to get the best mix. Follow the same process with any monitor mixes. 

• May 31, 2019
    • drmuey
      ArunModi

Hi,

I have X18 and want to record my concerts thru USB connected to my Windows PC (Windows 10) for recording/ streaming live into Faceboook/Zoom etc. The problem is USB feed volume level. Is there any independent control in X18 that allows one to increase/decrease the volume of mix going thru USB without changing LR fader as higher the Fader on LR, the speakers start blasting. I have mappped my USB1 & 2 to LR respectivly and chosen the tap as 'Pre fader' in 'USB Send'.

• April 7, 2020
    • drmuey
      Paul_Vannatto

@ArunModi wrote:

changing LR fader as higher the Fader on LR, the speakers start blasting. 

Turn the input sensitivity on your speaker amps down and run the signals in the console hotter.

• April 7, 2020
    • drmuey
      ArunModi

Thanks for your suggestion. It is not so easy to change Speaker amps volume as they are at a good height and also because I dont stream and record every performance, however your suggestion is good.

As Behringer has not provided any control for volume for USB send, the better solution in my mind is:

in USB Send in 'I/O menu', map the channnels say 1 & 2 to LR and then chhose 'Pre-Fader' as their configuration.

Now, whenever USB recording is needed - you can increase the fader of all inputs to desired level and bring down LR fader to a level where:

a. people listening from speakers find it confortable, and

b. at the same time the input singnal to 'USB Send' is at a higher DB than before.

I have never tried 'Grouping', maybe I can group my input channels (track, microphones etc.) to a group so that any increase/decrease applies to entire group instead of changing fader for each channel individually.

• April 8, 2020
  • rasandler
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-05-31

Hello - i just got an X2442usb, mainly for live sound.  at one of the places we play frequently, i would like to put the mixer about 50 or 60 feet away from the stage so i am thinking about buying a good snake to keep things clean.  my concern is how to connect the monitors.  some snakes have xlr returns and some have trs returns.  the mixer has xlr outputs for the mains and also balanced trs outputs for the main mix that i could use for the monitors.  however, if i wanted to use a sub group or channel output for a monitor, those are unbalanced ts jacks so distance becomes a consideration. 

any suggestions on how best to handle this???

thanks! 

-Richard

read more...
    0 127
    • rasandler
      RexBeckett

@rasandler 

Hi Richard,

It isn't ideal to run unbalanced audio over long cables although it can work fine at line-level. The biggest risk is getting ground-loop noise (hum/buzz). If this is a problem, you could use line-level audio transformers to balance and isolate the outputs. 

Something like Jensen GLX would be suitable.

• May 31, 2019
  • ShaunSteele
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-05-30

Hi guys. I bought an X32rack to back up my x32 console. I was told all I have to do if my console goes down is pull the thumb drive out of the console, stick it in the x32 rack and find the show fileand pull it up and see the scenes folder but when I click on the scene folder it goes to a screen that says 

USB drive path

/scenes

audio files

(..).     And this line is highlighted. When I click onthat it goes to the previous page that says scenes updates. Was I misinformed or am I missing something 

read more...
    0 90
  • McElviss
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-05-30

We're using a pair of B115Ds as our PA system for our three piece band that plays rock covers in bars. We only usually put one vocal mic and a guitar DI through it, but occasionally we mic up the bass drum (but we're looking to buy a sub for that).

My question is on where to set the level control. If I was using passive speakers with separate power amps, I'd have the power amps on full (ie 0dB) and then control the volume from the desk. With the B115Ds, does the same principle apply? Shoud I have the output set to Max and then control volume by limiting the signal from the desk? I guess the quustion is whereabouts on the dial is 0dB? What has confused me is the marking that says "Line" and then "Mic". Am I risking damage/distortion if I put a line level signal inand have the level set way into the "Mic" region of the control?Capture.JPG

read more...
    0 336
    • McElviss
      RexBeckett

@McElviss 

The best way is to first set a good gain structure on the mixer, set the output fader to 0dB and then raise the gain on the speaker to get the required volume level. Setting the speaker gain too high could result in distortion with line-level signals.

• May 30, 2019
    • McElviss
      RichardYClark

Certainly yes to Rex's reply. But as a rule of thumb I have found that with Behringer mixers and various powered speakers I have found the 12 o'clock position to usually be a good starting point.

P.S. Why are the latest posts not word wrapping properly all of a sudden? 

• May 30, 2019
  • kinetic
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-05-29

Is it just me or do others feel that this new Music Tribe forum is CRAP?  Compared to other ftraditional forums such as Steinberg, Fractal, Telecaster Forum etc etc this 'new look' forum is just rubbish to me.  In the traditional forums it was very easy to search and browse posts to do with a partuclar product or aspect of that product.  Maybe I'm just old school but this new forum just doesn;t work for me at all and I think products like the Behringer X32 NEED and DESERVE a dedicated. easy to use forum.  I hope someone wakes up and gives us a decent traditional forum SOON

read more...
    5 1,702
    • kinetic
      Paul_Vannatto

@kinetic wrote:

Is it just me or do others feel that this new Music Tribe forum is CRAP?  Compared to other ftraditional forums such as Steinberg, Fractal, Telecaster Forum etc etc this 'new look' forum is just rubbish to me.  In the traditional forums it was very easy to search and browse posts to do with a partuclar product or aspect of that product.  Maybe I'm just old school but this new forum just doesn;t work for me at all and I think products like the Behringer X32 NEED and DESERVE a dedicated. easy to use forum.  I hope someone wakes up and gives us a decent traditional forum SOON

I can assure you that it isn't just you...

• May 30, 2019
    • kinetic
      MarcoCervi

e too! I'm back here after long time, but this board is very difficult to browse now. Also, accessibility is very bad now (but this is my problem, I understand). For example, Paul, I must use search function to find your MX Terminal, to see if there is any update. In previous version it was very easy, just in Behringer section and it was there. Bad luck. Marco

• June 2, 2019
    • kinetic
      PerHeldal

You are not alone. It's as if MusicTribe dropped a bunch of aliens in their IT-department. Nobody with a little experience from the computer industry here on earth could slip up this badly. Worse is that it now has been going on for a year with no noticeable improvement. It's so bad that the CEO should have sacked them all and started over a long time ago.

I just wonder what happended to the corporate culture in the company when Music Group became Music Tribe.  There was a downwards spiral all the way from when Music Group became visible as an organisation on top of their subsidiaries, but with Music Tribe they just fell off a cliff. It is as if they deliberately try to scare every one off; potential customers, old customers, the whole market. All MT websites are unbearably slow. It's impossible to get to the information without waiting for minutes. It looks like every page is passed through google translate, even english2english if you look at the URLs. And this forum doesn't work for support, it doesn't work for marketing, and I can't imaginge that it is of much use to the company internally either. Is there anybody there?

Music Tribe brands have now lost me as a customer. I'm just here every now and then to look for information related to gear I already have. I will never buy any gear from manufacturers that virtually has no support. Not online, and hardly any via their distributors or resellers either. 

• October 25, 2019
    • kinetic
      KellyPeterson

it is crap   It is harder than hell ot even find the forum.  

• October 28, 2019
    • kinetic
      NathanVandersli Nice to see this as I thought I was the problem The other problem is that when you setup a bookmark your browser won't find the place and it is extremely hard to get to where you need to be, There's also no easy way to get to the forums.
      • February 7, 2021
      • Music Tribe Forum?
        Paul_Vannatto Well Nathan, as they say "misery loves company". You are welcome to come back anytime (if you can find your way back - LOL)
        • February 7, 2021
  • celoranta
    Contributor - Level 3
    2019-05-29

Hello all,

Very sorry if this has been asked... I couldn't find a direct reference.

For those of you using x32 and p16s, how do you generally map the 40 channels of x32 audio down to the 16 available p16 channels?  (To be clear, I understand that mix buses and matrixes are used for this... I'm inquiring as to your fold-down philosophies.)

My band uses the following inputs as components in the personal IEM mixes:

1) Guy #1 Voice

2) Guy #2 Voice

3) Guy #3 Voice

4) Guy #2 Guitar

5) Misc (Guitar / Chapman Stick Hi)

6) Guy #3 Bass / Chapman Stick Lo

7) Guy #1 Electronic Drums L

8) Guy #1 Electronic Drums R

9) Guy #1 Synth L

10) Guy #1 Synth R

11) Guy #2 Synth L

12) Guy #2 Synth R

13) Guy #3 Synth L

14) Guy #3 Synth R

15) Synth Bass L (Separated Out for Ease of Mix)

16) Synth Bass R 

17) Loops/Tracks/Clicks L

18) Loops/Tracks/Clicks R

19) Ambience/Audience L (Post Fader Verb and Delay Return)

20) Ambience/Audience R (Post Fader Verb and Delay Return)

As you can see, I need to shave things down by four channels somehow.  It would be perfectly acceptable to send the stereo instruments to FOH but send mono versions of all foursynths to IEM... but must an entire matrix be used for each and every stereo instrument to be routed to mono IEM?  Is there a simpler way to save on channels being used without using up the matrices?

Any help is appreciated.

Chris

read more...
    0 125
    • celoranta
      Paul_Vannatto

Hi Chris @celoranta,

Welcome to the forum. I'll answer your last question first.

"Is there a simpler way to save on channels being used without using up the matrices?"

Buses mix channel signals (sends). Matrixes mixes bus signals (sends). What you have listed are channel signals, not buses. Therefore you can't send them to matrixes. If you are using P16's, you should have plenty of available buses to change stereo signals to mono outputs.

For example if you have mixbuses 9-12 available, you can send the 3 synth (L/R) to these mixbuses (eg. Guy #1 Synth L/R to mixbus 9, Guy #2 Synth L/R to mixbus 10, Guy #3 Synth L/R to mixbus 11) and maybe the Loops/Tracks/Clicks L/R to mixbus 12. Then simply assign these buses to 4 of the Ultranet outputs.

Another option: if you are using one (or more) S16 for stageboxes, you could have 2 separate Ultranet zones with different signal assignments. The Ultranet port on the back of the console is directly connected to the Routing, Ultranet screen (assignments). The Ultranet port on the back of the S16 gets its signals from the 5th and 6th AES50 banks, which could be assigned different than the default P16 1-8, 9-16 (on the respective Routing, AES50 screen).

• May 29, 2019
    • celoranta
      PaulTalley

Just a reply to Paul.  I didn't know the Ultranet busses could be assigned separately like that.  Is that a recent feature add?

• May 30, 2019
  • ChristopherDeme
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-05-29

I've been trying to get a hold of anyone in the service department to no avail. Anyone know how I can get a hold of anyone?

I've tried:

- Calling 702-800-8290

- Using the online form to submit a service request

- Posted here 

Any other options/ideas??

read more...
    0 254
    • ChristopherDeme
      PilotMan

YEP - Behringer appears to have followed in the footsteps of all the other manufacturers online that will not provide instantaneous support to professionals like myself.  I am extremely irritated. I traveled 2600 miles to take care of a client and update their systems. All of their show files have disappeared and the backups will not load into the X32.  AND OF COURSE - NO SUPPORT. 

• June 2, 2019
    • ChristopherDeme
      Paul_Vannatto

@PilotMan wrote:

YEP - Behringer appears to have followed in the footsteps of all the other manufacturers online that will not provide instantaneous support to professionals like myself.  I am extremely irritated. I traveled 2600 miles to take care of a client and update their systems. All of their show files have disappeared and the backups will not load into the X32.  AND OF COURSE - NO SUPPORT. 

You didn't give us a chance to provide support

• June 2, 2019
    • ChristopherDeme
      PilotMan

My appologies.  My issue is is that when you're in the field you don't have time to wait for an email. When we have issues we are billing $125 an hour to a client using Behringer's gear. We need answers immediately and quickly in order to look professional. I think that was my point but not to demean your guys ability by any means. 

• June 2, 2019
    • ChristopherDeme
      Paul_Vannatto

Hi Adam @PilotMan,

The thing is, without having a look at the scene file, it is difficult to know why it doesn't load and how to fix it. As I mentioned in the other thread, zip one of the scene files and attach it to your next post. I'll be glad to have a look at it. My guess is that the header line (first line in the file) is incorrect and I can provide a quick solution.

• June 2, 2019
    • ChristopherDeme
      PilotMan

I just created a new post and attached in the Zipped scene file.  But it didn't look like it uploaded because I can't see it associated with the post.  I attached it here.   Are you seeing i? 

Trey & Sara.scn.zip
      • June 2, 2019
  • J_K_Loftin
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-05-28

How to configure? I use Sonar and am switching over to Studio One 4.5. I have used the Xr 18 Air as a live mixer, and recorded live with it. But I am trying to record a 4 person vocal group with stereo backing tracks so they can adjust yheir monitor mix and I, as engineer, have my own separate mix. I have had a professional studio for 30 years, got my first digital mixer, a Yamaha O2R in 1996. I also had an O2R 96, a Behringer X-32, and have 2 XR18 Air mixers, and have experience with Allen & Heath And Soundcraft and Mackie and Presonus and Yamaha LS9 and M7CL, so I am aware. But the specifics of routing the XR 18 so my 4 person vocal group can mix their own monitors and I can hear my own separate mix is proving to be difficult. Can anyone help?

read more...
    0 162
    • J_K_Loftin
      DaveMorrison

@J_K_Loftin The XR18 doesn't have enough busses for 5 stereo mixes. It's has 6 busses and LR.  

For a mix on bus 1, select the BUS1 button in the lower left and raise the faders you want to send to output 1. Press the MAIN LR button to return to the main mix.

BTW, I love my O2R. Still use it all the time.

• May 28, 2019
  • ristst
    Contributor - Level 2
    2019-05-28
    0 136
    • ristst
      ristst

I somehow closed the topic before describing my issue.  I want to enable the pormamento but I can't figure out how.  I also want to adjust the range of the pitch wheel, but I can't find any information on how that's done either.

Can someone point me to documentation or a tutorial that shows how to do these things?

• May 27, 2019
    • ristst
      ristst

Sorry...PORTAMENTO.  Please excuse my spelling error.

• May 27, 2019
Go to page