Products

285,163 members
167,086 posts
  • Krauser
    Contributor - Level 1
    2020-02-26

Is there an option to make the Brainwaves only pitch shift notes below a certain range, preferably only the lowest note played, and leave the rest alone? I'd like to emulate the "Range" parameter from the Boss OC-3, while not having to use a Boss OC-3.

That would be very useful for doing walking bass lines alongside chord-melody.

read more...
    0 93
    • Krauser
      TC-Mike

No, Brainwaves always pitch shifts the complet signal at its input. you cannot exclude certain frequencies from the FX input/output

best regards,

Mike

• March 1, 2020
  • Clem
    Contributor - Level 1
    2020-02-26

Hi there! 

...still a noise leaking from mix knob (even turned full left) unless you put a free cable into ext audio....

That s not an acceptable solution, as we lose the use of noise....

Is there something to wait? Should we all return the unit in warranty, at our cost?

An answer, for once?

Thanks

read more...
    1 91
  • bossofsound
    Contributor - Level 1
    2020-02-26
    How to become an authorized agent of the company turbosound in Egypt? What are the conditions for establishing an accredited maintenance center in Egypt?
    0 75
  • S-Audio
    Contributor - Level 2
    2020-02-26
    0 121
    • S-Audio
      GaryHiggins

@S-Audio see pic below, In the card out menu its sending the auxin 1-6/T to card 1-8, but if it's desired for another bank of DAW or X-Live ch's, just use that different bank instead OR setup a "user bank" and pick the aux's and another 2 ch, rather than Talkback, that fits your input DAW or X=Live setup the best.

Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 3.07.45 PM.png

• February 26, 2020
    • S-Audio
      S-Audio

Thanks I'll give that a try. I never even thought to use the software for the M32r. I was trying to figure it out with the screen on the console.......

• February 26, 2020
  • CarloH
    Contributor - Level 1
    2020-02-26

Quick history. I used a 24 channel D&R Orion (discontinued) for recording into my adat HD24 for many years and could not have been happier with the sound and mixes I was getting from that combo. The D&R is a totally analog console, so I never had issues with latency. Well, life changed and I needed to part with my console because of the space it occupied in my control room; especially with the giant 5’ dual rack full of outboard gear and other stuff. I sold the D&R and all but a couple of pieces of gear, but I still wanted a way to record and mix. I ended up getting an x32 rack used, adding the X-adat expansion card, and keeping my adat HD24 because I like how it sounds, I know it so well, and I don’t have to set up and learn a DAW system. I love the features and seemingly endless flexibility of the X32, but I have been having difficulty achieving mixes as cohesive as with my former setup. It is difficult to describe precisely, but the overall sound of a mix is a substantial step down from what I was able to achieve before. My belief is that this should not be the case, and after a lot of thought I think it all has to do with console latency. So I did an experiment to gain a better understanding of the various inherent latency figures/issues of the X32. With regard to studio mixing, I have made a simple discovery that may help you if you are using a similar (adat/X32) rig.
    Let’s get right into it.
    Lesson 1: identical signals of opposite polarity yields 100% phase cancellation. I think most people know this, but for illustration, make a copy of a kick drum track. (I use a Lawson L47fet about 22” in front of the bass drum on level with and pointing straight at the center. It gets the bass drum fundamental as well as some pleasant ride cymbal underside tone). In the X32, place these tracks next to each other and pan them both center. Muting all other channels, flip the polarity of one of the tracks and notice the complete absence of signal. This, of course, is because these identical signals are now 180 degrees out of phase, or completely out of phase.
    Lesson 2: extremely small changes in phase (timing) can and does induce significant changes in sound. Once again, I think a lot of people know this, but for illustration, use the “Track Slip” function on the adat (or however you do it in a DAW) to either delay or advance one of those identical tracks by 1/10 of a millisecond. Make a particularly strong mental note of the result. If you can’t hear the rather drastic change in the sound, you should have your hearing checked. Yes, in studio mixing you can indeed clearly hear phase discrepancies resulting from a phase/timing change as little as 1/10 of a millisecond. I’m sure live mixing (which I know very little about) is different relative to what can be perceived, but there’s no mistake in what I’ve described above.
    Lesson 3: the ability to advance a track in the adat HD24 or a DAW can help overcome (to a large degree but *not completely*) effect induced latency. I think a lot of people do not know this, or they, like me, have struggled getting a handle on how to compensate for the latency issue. So here’s what I figured out using the principles in lessons 1 & 2 above. Return your track slip back to zero. Now apply “Wave Designer” in tyher X32 with all settings at zero to one of the tracks. Turn the effect on and let both tracks play back at the same level while toggling between effect on and effect off. Note the marked latency induced phase wonkiness whenever the effect is applied. Leave the effect applied to one track while continuing to monitor both tracks. Now reverse the polarity of the track that has the effect applied, then begin advancing that track using Track Slip (or your DAW method) *by increments of 1/10 of a millisecond* until the signal gets as low or weak as possible. Notice that each increment changes the sound very perceptibly, but notice in particular that the low frequency keeps dropping off as you advance the track. You will eventually reach an increment which results in not only the greatest loss of low frequency content but also the greatest loss of signal strength/volume. Mine was 1.4 ms. When I advance it further to 1.5 ms, the low frequencies and volume both begin to return. So, if you use that effect on a track, advance it in the adat by 1.4 ms. That’s the best you can do. Ideally, we would like for the signal to go completely away using that method, right? Well, it won’t because you would need an even finer adjustment of time as in 1/100 ms or even 1/1000 ms or beyond). This may be achievable in a DAW, but the adat has the 1/10 ms limit. Anyway, once you’ve got that signal as low as possible, then flip the polarity back off. Mute the dry track. The sound should be much better in context because it is more phase coherent. Not perfect, but better.
    Hope this helps someone, and it would be nice to know if one of you DAW experts finds a more exact (maybe even THE exact) track advance figure.
    A final word: I haven’t tried it yet, but I think one could use this same technique find out about any latency when you insert an analog device through the aux jacks.
    C. Hoskins

read more...
    1 154
  • SegdirbMit
    Contributor - Level 3
    2020-02-26

Apologies if this has been covered before, i did search and couldn't find anything

Hope to use my XR 18 at an upcoming gig (to save space) but cannot find in the XAir app where the Library presets are.

I use these a lot on my X32 in X32 Edit

Am I missing something or are they not available with XAir/XR18 setup?

Thanks in advance, have a good evening (or morning) if Paul V is reading this

read more...
    0 314
    • SegdirbMit
      Paul_Vannatto

Hi Tim @SegdirbMit 

Sorry for the delay (had a funeral to attend and be pall bearer). The X-Air does not have a library like the X32. But you can load a channel preset (including ones from the X32) using the Load, Load Channel Preset and load it from your computer. 

• February 26, 2020
    • SegdirbMit
      SegdirbMit

Paul,

My optimism outweighed my ability

I have Xair open on my iPad and connected to the XR18

i select a specific channel, this offers a tab called 'Presets'

This offers the chance to create a new preset which I did

Then it says save or load. Which do i do and where do I load from? I don't want to lose everything I already set up in the app

Apologies for being a 'numpty' (english expression), could you maybe give me more detailed guidence?

Thanks, you are a star and deserve all the 'kudos' ponts going

BR

Tim

• February 26, 2020
    • SegdirbMit
      Paul_Vannatto

Hey Tim @SegdirbMit 

Unfortunately I can't help a lot with the iPad app (since I don't own any Apple products). But I would think that once you save a preset (which will save to the device - iPad in your case), you can then later load that preset when you need it. I do all of my preset saving/loading from my laptop (previously Win7, now using Linux Mint) and just use my android tablet (with Mixing Station Pro) for mixing.

Funny, I had to look up 'numpty' even though as Canadians we pride ourselves as being bilingual (British and American fluent). What you are asking is a very valid question.

• February 26, 2020
  • DeclanSlater
    Contributor - Level 3
    2020-02-26

A simple one first; select any channel, Hit the home button, under the input section, it displays the current input.  if you touch the displayed icon itself  for that channel - nothing happens.  if you touch where is says "INPUT" or touch the little set of icons under the home button, it takes you to the CHANNEL INPUT / TRIM & BALANCE / FILTER section.  How about they make it so the displayed icon on the HOME page, brings you to the CHANNEL INPUT / TRIM & BALANCE / FILTER section?  

Here's a tougher one; It sure is great to label inputs on the patch/routing section.  Thanks to my lovely wife, for "letting me" keep the Wing setup on the dining room table all of this month!  Anyway, I find the routing is sometimes rather clunky to navigate around.  It seems that there needs to be some additiional ways that are more intuitive to assign sources to channels.  The toughest way to do it, is if you have this "old school" workflow:

- I have a blank channel on the console, so I'll name it RALPH, easy enough.

- I need to patch a source to RALPH's channel, so (see point above) - ugh...

- I get into the INPUT section, tap the icon under the MAIN side of MAIN/ALT,  pick the SOURCE GROUP dropdown if needed, tap an input, and ugh - I want it stereo and to name the source "RALPH" and I can't - so, now I have to go hit the ROUTING button, then push STEREO and then the TO SRC button to copy the channel name to the source input(s). - not as easy.

Thanks for listening!

read more...
    1 186
    • DeclanSlater
      Paul_Vannatto

Hey Declan @DeclanSlater , for your "tougher one", your workflow is backwards. First go to the routing and start naming, colorizing, and set as mono, stereo or M/S, enable phantom, etc, using the official CoPilot app, as you physically plug in each inputs. Then go to the Wing console, select the desired channel and assign the input (click on the double arrow to transfer the name/color to channel strip). Staying on the same screen, select next channel and assign desired input (and transfer name/color). Repeat and rince (as Craig would say). 

• February 26, 2020
    • DeclanSlater
      DeclanSlater

Hey Paul,  Yep, it is backwards for sure, it is also unfortunately how I and many other folks end up thinking and end up doing things.  I'm not saying that I and perhaps other audio engineers cannot change our workflows, but change is hard for folks!  I think this little workflow "issue" could be improved with some simple additional methods to be able to work "bacckwards" smoother. The console would then be a bit more user friendly and have a little less steep of a learning curve.  I really just want the Wing to be a bit more intuitive for those audio engineers that have been doing things for a long time, are more set in thier ways, and have many years of experience with other consoles. 

As you well know, there is a disturbing video on youtube from a production company based in New York, where they purchased a Wing console, and they were, let's just say - "not very kind" about the workflow and other issues they had with it.  I must mention that they were a bit silly to make that video without first updating the console from the original firmware ( .018)!   Many of the issues they gripe about have now dissapeared, but some still do remain.

• February 26, 2020
    • DeclanSlater
      Paul_Vannatto

Hey Declan @DeclanSlater 

Yes I saw that video shortly after they released it. If you notice below in the comments, I mentioned that it wasn't very professional that they ranted about issues before updating the firmware. Oh well, even when the good Lord was here on earth, they had to gripe about something 

Regarding the workflow, the way I see it is that I could have dug my heels in when I transitioned from my analog setup to the new fangled X32 and did it the same way I've been doing for years before. Fortunately I realized that this needed a paradigm shift in my thinking and decided to learn how it was designed and change my workflow accordingly - and I and everyone around me benefited by that decision. That is the same approach I'm taking with the Wing.

I'm in no way trying to put down your great ideas as to how it could improve things and reduce the learning curve. But at some point it is far better to simply use a tool the way it was designed.

• February 26, 2020
    • DeclanSlater
      DeclanSlater

Spoiler

Spoiler

Yeah, I saw your comments on that YouTube video, and also made some of my own.  The O.P. of that video was very understanding about our concerns, and he hoped in the future to post video with a much more current FW on the console.  I also thought that they did have many valid and honest opinions on the workflow, and I hope that the design team at Behringer at least watches it (with a gain of salt) to get some ideas.

I get where your at on the whole, "do things the way they are designed to be done" - totally.

Since the console is so new, I really think that now is the best time for us all to help the designers out, that we could give them as much detailed feedback as possible on not only those things on the Wing that work really well for us, but also on those things that can trip us up, or slow us down.

• February 26, 2020
    • DeclanSlater
      DeclanSlater

I have no idea why my last reply was marked as a "spoiler".  Did not know that was even something possible to do...

• February 26, 2020
  • earcondition
    Regular Contributor - Level 1
    2020-02-26

Hi All, is there already a possibillity to connect a WING to a Dante Network ?

0 123
    • earcondition
      DeclanSlater

That new "internal" Dante card has not yet been released, guessing it'll be quite some time for that to be on the market.

It would be possible to use another X32 console with a Dante card right now though, and link it to the wing over AES50.  That's what I'm planning to do for a week long production that I have next month anyway.

• February 26, 2020
  • DeclanSlater
    Contributor - Level 3
    2020-02-26

Just a note that the RTA is always stuck on whatever channel is currently displayed on the console, in the Mixing Station app [ currently 1.03(12) ]

I submitted it David, he said it was a firmware limitation, and there was nothing he can do about it right now.

- This happens on both Android and IOS (Mixing Station) pro apps.

- I also checked out the RTA Autogain feature, and right now that only works on the console, and not Mixing Station.  The app has it's own seperate "RTA Offset" knob for the RTA.

btw; Mixing Station Pro works really great on the iPad! The custom layers & layouts load up across different platforms really well!  Hope you add copy/paste on the app sometime soon!  I find that with custom layers and layouts, your app is much easier to use than the console itself.  I attached a "16 channel" layer and layout file* for fun.  You can unzip the .msz file, copy it to your google drive, then load the file from google drive directly from the app.  I setup the custom layers in it to always keep the DCAs availible as much as possible for speed.

- ( * the mute buttons still need to be assigned in the layout.  

Nice Job David!

Thanks!

lifeline.msz.zip
    read more...
    2 159
    • DeclanSlater
      WillemKrabbe

Totally agree, tried to set it up so that we could adjust the room. RTA can't be set to the measure mic with Mixing Station while on the EQ of the MAIN on the Wing.

Hopefully they'll change the firmware.

• February 26, 2020
  • bearaby
    Contributor - Level 3
    2020-02-26

Please give me reasons to upgrade to VoiceLive Play (or other?) from a Perform V for hosting karaoke, which by nature has singers requesting many different songs, unknown to me in advance.

0 141
    • bearaby
      TCH-Rob

Hi @bearaby ,

The Perform V is nice because it's very fast and easy to edit, but the Voicelive Play has far more options and you can do deeper editing with it. Voicelive Play also allows you to store 500 presets, so if there are several songs you know are common you can recreate the vocal effects from them and store them in the pedal. It really comes down to whether you want flexibility or easy fast editing. Let me know if you have any questions about these pedals, I'm here to help!  

• February 28, 2020
Go to page