• ursus
    Contributor - Level 2
    2009-12-25
    Yesterday I ordered the RH amp. I tried the Classic amp in a store, I think it is the same amp as the RH 450.

Have you guys some suggestions on settings that will fit my Berg AE410. Do you think I have to alter the standard amp settings to have a "wider" sound. I have been playing with a EBS TD 650 for a while, basses are Sandberg Umbo, Fodera Emperor and Wal MKII all 5-stringers.
    Thanks
    Ursus
    read more...
    0 3,076
    • ursus
      Musicman20 Hey there

I would check Talkbass, unless you already have! I know Klung (think thats his name) has an AE410 and uses it with this amp.

IMO, you got the best amp of the new TC range. The Classic has the same tone, and some features, but does not have all the other amazing extra features that makes the RH450 sooo good. You also can tweak your sound a LOT more with the RH450.

I tested a passive Lakland JO5 through the store amp with the RS210 and RS212. It sounded FANTASTIC....

I myself use a Berg HS410, and Im thinking of possibly, possibly selling to get the 2x10 and 2x12 RS cabs. I'd like to keep it and buy the cabs as well though....but who knows.
      • December 28, 2009
  • Laird_Williams
    Contributor - Level 2
    2009-12-23
    I am working on really learning the ins and outs of the volume and expression pedals on the G so I can fill in the 4th chapter of the white paper. In working on things, I have managed to get things working pretty well with my rig. I am using and FV-500H and an FV-500L.

I tried a couple of things and got very different results. Here is the deal thus far.

Volume Pedal Config #1
    Wiring: FV-500H Out --> TS-TS Cable --> G-System Vol Jack
    GFX Vol Type: Vol
    Calibration range: Bass-ackwards

Calibration did not work at all. In fact, it calibrated "backwards" - with the MAX at 0 and the min at something like 12. STRANGE-ola. Clearly did not work. Tried with a couple of different cables to be sure it was not cable-related.

Volume Pedal Config #2
    Wiring: FV-500H Expr--> TRS-TRS Cable --> G-System Vol Jack
    GFX Vol Type: Expr (Since I am using the linear pot on the FV)
    Calibration range: 0-50

Not bad - but a lot of the pedal motion is wasted. Useable though.

Volume Pedal Config #3
    Wiring: FV-500H In --> Y-Cable Ring
    FV-500H Out --> Y-Cable Tip
    Y-Cable TRS --> G-System Vol Jack
    GFX Vol Type: Vol
    Calibration range: 0-99

Used a 1/4" Insert cable (TRS-to-dual TS Y-cable). Works great. Motion is smooth and most of the pedal range is useful. Volume swells and diminuendos are quite smooth sounding. I am really happy with this one. IMO, this is THE way to use this pedal for volume - period.

Expr Pedal Config #1
    Wiring: FV-500L Expr--> TRS-TRS Cable --> G-System Expr Jack
    GFX Expr Type: Expr
    Calibration range: 0-50

This seems to work fine - but the wah felt a little odd to me...but check this out...

Expression Pedal Config #2
    Wiring: FV-500L In --> Y-Cable Ring
    FV-500L Out --> Y-Cable Tip
    Y-Cable TRS --> G-System ExprJack
    GFX Expr Type: Vol (Since I am using the Logarithmic pot on the pedal)
    Calibration range: 0-68

Wider detection range - and actually much better feel on the pedal. I may be weird, but I think I like this one better.

Expression Pedal Config #3
    Wiring: FV-500H In --> Y-Cable Ring
    FV-500H Out --> Y-Cable Tip
    Y-Cable TRS --> G-System ExprJack
    GFX Expr Type: Vol (Since I am using the Logarithmic pot on the pedal)
    Calibration range: 0-98

I tried the FV-500H for expression duties, and it worked great with the Y cable.

I need to play with controlling some of the other expression parameters besides the wah before I make any recommendations - but using a Y-cable with the FV-500H appears to work best for BOTH pedals - although things work pretty well with the FV-500L as well.

I DO think that TELLING the G-System what kind of pedal is connected to the jack is REALLY important. You can use a volume pedal for expression, and you can use an expression pedal for volume...but you HAVE to tell the G that you are doing this. It probably makes some kind of internal adjustment for the logarithmic pot in the volume pedal. Smart.
    read more...
    0 63,308
    • Laird_Williams
      victim5150 +1
      • December 23, 2009
    • Laird_Williams
      Tom-Andrew Thanks Laird!

I've been waiting for someone to post something like this since there has been so much talk about this through the years but with no real answers regarding TRS-TS/TS Y-cables, TS-TS, TRS-TRS and so on...

What about latency? I have an old EB pedal that introduces some bad latency and now I'm looking at alternatives and those Boss FV-500 pedals are at the top of my list right now.

Also, you are plugged straight into the GFX brain, right?

Have you tried plugging into the foot controller instead? I feel some notes about that would be helpful too.

One last thing... Insert cables; I was under the impression that on a TRS-TS/TS Y-cable the Tip is Send and hence the Ring is Return? Wouldn't it make more sense to plug Tip to In, Ring to Out if that's the case?

However, I've tried both ways around with my EB and G and it didn't really make any difference...

Thanks for your efforts!!
      • December 23, 2009
    • Laird_Williams
      bucketbot As an aside I discovered a way today of using one single FV500 for both volume & expression control.

I currently have my FV500 conmected to the EXP jack on the G with a TRS cable & it seems to work just fine for expression control.

Today I was experimenting with a 3 way true bypass looper which I now have in loop 1 with that loop set to be always on in my patches.

I have this set up with my Whammy & Boss SD-1 in 2 of the loopers loops which allows me to free up 2 switches on the G for switching other things and still allows me to switch in & out (true bypass) those 2 pedals using the looper switches when I wish.

As I had one loop in the looper pedal free I decided to try and also connect the input & ouptput of the FV500 into the spare loop on the looper pedal.

It works a treat as the FV500 seems to function both as a Volume pedal & expression pedal at the same time.

So if I need a volume pedal I just hit that button on my looper pedal and that brings the volume aspect of the pedal into the circuit.

As you are not likely to want to use both Volume & expression control at the same time I see no conflicts.

However if you engage a patch which has a parameter controlled by one of the modifiers controlled by the expression pedal it does vary both that parameter & also the volume at the same time!

Works for me!!

• December 26, 2009
    • Laird_Williams
      Tom-Andrew Actually, you could connect the Y-cable to the input/output on an FV-500 for volume control and a TRS cable to the expr jack for expression control using the same pedal...

If you have a stereo pedal, you could use two Y-cables.
      • December 26, 2009
    • Laird_Williams
      bucketbot

Tom-Andrew wrote:

Actually, you could connect the Y-cable to the input/output on an FV-500 for volume control and a TRS cable to the expr jack for expression control using the same pedal...

If you have a stereo pedal, you could use two Y-cables.

True but if you are connecting the Y cable to the Vol Jack on the G system, which I assume is what you mean? would you then not be using the G system to control the volume rather than controlling the line level of the signal directly with the pedal.

Would this not mean that the volume pedal would be active all the time?

My method allows you to turn the Volume pedal on & off independantly of the G System.
      • December 26, 2009
  • JayGarrett
    Contributor - Level 2
    2009-12-17
    Hey all!

I've finally taken delivery of my rig.

As you may have read in the Combo - to buy or not to buy thread I ended up opting for the seperates.

And thanks to the advice of BASSically I bought a cheap (£8.99) folding luggage trolley that the RS210 fits onto nicely

The RH450 came almost a week later than the rest of the gear as there was a delay at TC Electronic - guessing that these amps are getting more popular by the day

I have the case for the cab to protect it thankfully - I had a flightcased amp on top of it for one gig and it left some marks - but there's soon to be a new cab coating apparently.

I'm still playing with settings but I'm certain I'm going to enjoy gigging this little rig and, as I've also bought the amp/pedal carry bag, getting this set-up to the shows shouldn't be a problem.

Have TC will travel!!

J
    read more...
    0 8,034
    • JayGarrett
      JayGarrett This amp and cab is possibly the best investment I've made in a long time!
      • December 18, 2009
    • JayGarrett
      Musicman20 + 1, I am another basschat member! Great amp.

I think the TC stuff is selling really well. I asked for a new sealed amp, pedal and bag and it took a little wait but well worth it.

The store said its their current best selling line!
      • December 21, 2009
    • JayGarrett
      Musicman20 Oh, and I think TC have priced it all very well. The amp is a little more than most, but so well designed with so many features its well worth it. The bag is very well made, and a very good price, unlike other manufacturers I wont mention here.

The cabs are also great prices.
      • December 21, 2009
    • JayGarrett
  • alantyson
    Contributor - Level 1
    2009-12-08
    I have purchased a new helicon VoiceLive and am having problems getting the hamonies to sound right. Some of them work on midi but I cannot work out how to use the machine properly from the manual. I tried to return the machine back to factory presets and have now lost all sound out. I have turned the output volume right up with no results. I have tried the email address on the box (there is none in the manual) and get the message that they don'r exist. How do I get in touch with support for Voice Live. I would appreciate some contact to help solve these problems. Alan Tyson.
    read more...
    0 976
  • BigString
    Contributor - Level 1
    2009-12-06
    Anybody know how to change the amp's settings back to factory ??
    0 5,474
    • BigString
      idasys Hold in all 3 preset buttons when powering on.
      • March 20, 2010
    • BigString
      Revolver323 I had the same question. Is this info in the manual? It should be if it isn't.
      • July 19, 2010
    • BigString
      BASSically Always a good idea to know how to reset.
      • July 25, 2010
  • Musicman20
    Contributor - Level 2
    2009-12-03
    Hey guys

I have returned my GB Shuttle 9.0 for various reasons, and I am upgrading to the TC Elec RH450, the RC4 and the RH450 gig bag.

I have watched all the videos and I am very excited.

Does anyone have any tips they want to share with me?

What are peoples views of the RS cabinets so far?

Thanks
    read more...
    0 5,536
    • Musicman20
      JayGarrett Well I'm waiting for TC to get my RH450 to Bonners but I've already taken delivery of the RS210.

It sounds and looks great. The HF dial at the back does make a subtle difference to the sound.

I've tried it with a Peavy Pro500 and it gigged well in a post punk band and I had no problems monitoring myself with it.

I just can't wait for the RH450 so I can use it and the pedal with the cab

The other good thing about the RS210 is that it fits on a folding luggage trolley and as I get to my gigs using public transport I will be able to shove the amp and pedal in the TC carry bag, cover the cab and drag it around on the trolley. Genius!

Apparently there's a new cab coating on its way so if you dont like the current one hang on a bit

J
      • December 13, 2009
    • Musicman20
    • Musicman20
      Musicman20 I picked up my RH450 this weekend. I also had the pleasure of testing the shop floor RH450, Staccato and the RS210/RS212.

Firstly, I must admit, I did not know what to expect from these amps and cabs....apart from the fact I had heard good reviews, and watched the recordings TC has made. I had also had a very brief play on an RH450 + RS210 some time ago. This was not ideal, as the setting were way off and the preset volume had been turned right down.

On Sunday, I went to my normal store, Bass Merchant in Colchester. They did a very good deal on the bag, pedal and amp.

So, I figured I may as well test their shop floor versions as well.

I was completely unprepared for how huge and brilliant this amp sounds, (RH450). I actually had a huge smile on my face! I usually play 4 string, but I tested it with a Lakland JO5, and the B....wow....I have never heard a B cut like that. It was precise, fat, and immense. I also added a little tube tone....and then I was more impressed. The tone was nice and gritty. It was also incredibly loud.

I am very impressed with the amps sounds. I have yet to open mine and start fiddling, but even the boxes look cool! I am now considering adding thw RS210 and 212 to my cab collection, once they make the new finish.

Thanks TC...this amp is fantastic and I hope to get your cabs soon.

I had a quick test with the Staccato on the same settings, and it was so massive in the lows. If you like a tight fat fingerstyle the Staccato may be for you! But, the RH was for me.

PS - I was also very very shocked with how bloomin loud this amp is. At 4 ohms, with 2 cabs, the amp was shaking the shop at about 10 o'clock!

Cheers
      • December 21, 2009
    • Musicman20
      JayGarrett Dude - welcome to the world of TC!

I aint stopped grinning thanks to my RH450 and RS210

J
      • December 21, 2009
  • graaf
    Contributor - Level 2
    2009-12-02
    Hiya everybody,

i'm new here but it's a couple of months i'm reading this board.
    Reading all your posts allowed me to set up my G really smoothly.
    Basically, my set up is tube preamp (with FX loop), tube power amp, G, 2 2x12 cabs, Nova Drive, AnalogMan Fuzz, Radial Tonebone Classic.
    G is wired with the 4 cables system, using the preamp FX loop. Stompboxes on G loops.

Since i've always been a pre distortion eq fan, i'm scouting for an EQ to insert on G LOOP1. I'm cosidering the MXR-108 ten bands EQ, but i'm very intrigued by rack EQ systems as well.
    Rack EQ's usually have better S/N ratio than guitar stompboxes, more sliders to fine tune guitar tone shaping, and usually they're stereo (2 channels). Obviusly they are.. eh.. rack mounted?? :-p And..cheaper.. considering that basically it's like having two EQ pedals.
    So, having checked out both G loop's I/O impedences, EQ (Behringer fbq1502, or BDX analog EQ, for example) I/O impedences, it seems that electrically speaking the marriage might work fine.
    Then, i could get rid of one stompbox (Fuzz, or Tonebone), and have two different pre distortion (or 1 pre and 1 post distortion EQ, using one EQ channel after the stompboxes) EQ settings to select.

What do you guys think? Any suggestion? Anybody's using a similar setup?

Cheers!!
    read more...
    0 7,855
    • graaf
      elvis Many of the rack EQs I have looked at are lousy buffers ( input impedance, high output impedance). I'm relieved you are paying attention to that.

EQs are funny beasts. They have terrible phase artifacts. Each band in a graphic EQ is a narrow bandpass filter. Even when dialed for relatively small changes, the filters have a large effect on the phase of both the pass and reject frequencies. The bands also overlap, so you get all kinds of crazy filter effects.

While it seems convenient and powerful to have a 30-band filter in your rack, it is unlikely that it will help you tune your tone any better than a 5 or 7 band EQ, but it will put an overall haze on your tone due to the fact that you're running through 30 individual filters. The only use I can think of for such a narrow-band filter is as a last resort to help you kill off a particularly pesky feedback frequency.

I recommend using as few filters as possible to tweek your sound. A 3-band parametric EQ will probably give you much better control of your sound with fewer artifacts. A good parametric EQ will give you control of gain, frequency and Q (Q is "Quality", or width of the filter), just like the filter in the G system.

As a start, you ought to try using the filter in the G, rather than rack up another box. As an alternative, the Boss GE-7 is very popular. There is allegedly a noise mod available to make it quieter as well.

Also, be careful about the SNR numbers on the rack units. If they are measured at +4dB, but you use them at -20dB (Instrument level, which is what you have pre-distortion), then you need to subtract 24dB from what they advertise.
      • December 2, 2009
    • graaf
      graaf Thank you very much for your answer.

Rack EQ caught my attention just because they're rack and so they would fit nicely in my guitar rig, because they're "cheaper", and apparently with a better S/N ratio than pedals.

I tried to use the G filter, but it comes after distortion and after FX, isn't it?

What i'm looking for is something that allows me to smooth out that high freqs my stratocaster has. Furthermore, my tube preamp (italian Brunetti Centouno) has a very tricky EQ. The mids interatcs with treble, bass interacts with mids, so basically due to engineering design it's impossible to get rid of high freqs w/o losing guitar tone "body".

I guess the preamp has been made thinking about humbuckers equipped guitars, to play metal (mid scooped) and modern rock.

It plays so good with my Les Paul tho.

Anyway, i think i might go with the MXR108 (10 bands EQ), or MXR109 (6 bands EQ). Accordingly to what you said, it seems the 109 should be better as far as signal phase is concerned.

I've tried the Boss GE7 and it works fine after distortion, not so good before as being noisy, all that noise is being amplified if put before distortion.

Thank you again.

Matt
      • December 2, 2009
    • graaf
      elvis Sorry, you're right - EQ is last. I had it in my mind that the filter section in front had the EQ in it.

For what you're looking for, again I recommend a parametric EQ.

You could very easily build a simple hi-cut filter with a 10k potentiometer and a 0.1uF capacitor that would let you very gently reduce the high frequencies a bit. Or use a really long guitar cable
      • December 3, 2009
    • graaf
      patrickt69 Your right elvis I just started using the G's EQ it has a dramtic effect on your sound I would be to confused to use a 30 band EQ LOL
      • December 3, 2009
    • graaf
      gearslob I have been using a vintage MXR 6 band in loop4 after a tube screamer and boss ds1.

These items before my 73 super lead give me enormous amounts of tonal variations for a 1 channel amp. For some reason (I am never going to complain about) there is no noise ad my gate is now off. I can mix the pre eq with either pedal and get Van Halen mids on thru metal distortions. I admit i do not touch my g eq at all, but instead have an old Scholz rockmodule 10 band at the end of everything before going off to my mesa pwr amp. This cuts and tailors the final tonal idea and neutralizes my delivery regardless of which guitar I use (Gibson or Fender). If you can't find an old mxr, just use the Boss and try it out. If not buy a tonebone dragster and roll off the highs to taste.
      • December 4, 2009
  • jtupnsmoke
    Contributor - Level 1
    2009-11-30
    I have searched all over and can't find anyone who has posted their experience with pedals. So what is a good pedal to use? And should i be looking for a low impedance or high? Also, where should it be in the chain? This is how I will be running it:
    Guitar>G-Natural>P.A. Should it be before or after the G-Natural? THanks
    read more...
    0 4,377
    • jtupnsmoke
      JimiC Roland EV-5. You have to calibrate it through the pedal menu. It plugs into the pedal jack at the rear panel of the G-Natural
      • March 24, 2012
  • CraneIsland
    Contributor - Level 1
    2009-11-27
    I´ve had the Nova System for some time and I really like it!

Sometimes I´m in need of the huge arena-reverb (Jeff Beck kind of sound). I have only found those reverbs in Space Designer (Logic plugin) and Lexicon + Eventide rackunits. Also my Cyber Twin has a very good arena-reverb. I´ve tried to mix delay + reverb to extend the reverb sound, but I´m not satisfied. When pushing the hall-reverb to much, the tone get´s a bad taste...

Would it be possible to add a new algoritm into the Nova System in order to get the huge reverb? Or is there any other ways of doing it?

...thx for helping out, or thx TC for updating the software, the way I want...
    read more...
    0 2,333
    • CraneIsland
      rubenreza I use a Huge Plate with a long decay, easy on the mix. I can send post my settings if still interested. Your post is three years old, do you probably found what you were looking for already.
      • August 1, 2012
    • CraneIsland
      yes2matt I tried this, based on your suggestion. Except I ran the mix up to 70-80%... oooh that's like a volume swell without spinning the pot! I like it! Thanks for the tip!
      • August 13, 2012
  • 440Hz
    Contributor - Level 2
    2009-11-25
    I just got my Nova Drive today and have it integrated into my G System.
    Fantastic tone!
    However, one issue I have is that the related switches for the OD and DS sides of the pedal actually switch the opposite effect. ie OD switch activates DS and vice versa. I have the unit in NORMAL mode.

Anyone having the same issue?
    read more...
    0 1,704
Go to page