Solutions

224,037 members
98,296 posts
  • ash457
    Contributor - Level 2
    2009-08-27
    Hey guys, having some problems with the whammy section. I've set it all up with an expression pedal and it's all calibrated correctly however is there a way of just shifting the pitch itself without super imposing it on top of the dry signal because theres no way of choosing the wet and dry signal with the whammy function on the g system.

Thanks
    read more...
    0 13,333
    • ash457
      bucketbot You need to set the mix level to 100%.

Then you will only here the altered pitch & not the dry signal.
      • August 27, 2009
    • ash457
      ash457 Thanks for the quick reply there, there doesnt appear to a be a mix function.

Under Whammy we've got:

Pitch

Dir – Direction

Range

OutLev – Out Level

Enable

No Mix, thats the problem
      • August 27, 2009
    • ash457
      bucketbot Just checked the manual & your right!!

However Mine seemed to work OK when I tried it earlier.
      • August 27, 2009
    • ash457
      ash457 Well it states here the whammy effect allows you to control the pitch of an "added" voice with an external expression pedal. However I was hoping it was changed and not added.

Yeh I'm using the 4 cable set up and everythings in a serial loop. Think it just might not be a feature of the G system to just change the pitch rather than have it added on top unless yours definitely does not do that and does what I'm after?
      • August 27, 2009
    • ash457
      elvis If you are doing a wet/dry setup with 2 amps, you would have to turn off the dry for this patch. If you are doing a more standard setup, there is a factory preset that has whammy with no dry signal - check those settings. I think there may be separate volumes for each voice or something. Anyway, I have it working with only one voice.
      • August 28, 2009
  • therthace
    Contributor - Level 2
    2009-08-24
    I just make a midi split cable (y-cable) for my nova drive. Thanks dave

I'm trying to make some presets and I found weird thing.
    I don't know why but nova drive is making beeping sound regularly. Also, it makes sound when I change its parameter.

I checked my cable and there was no problem.
    If anyone knows how to fix it please let me know
    read more...
    0 11,413
    • therthace
      soundtrack2life Make sure that on the end that connects into the G System that pin 2 and the shielding is not connected. So you only have wires going to pins 4 & 5. That should do it. . .
      • August 24, 2009
    • therthace
      therthace

soundtrack2life wrote:

Make sure that on the end that connects into the G System that pin 2 and the shielding is not connected. So you only have wires going to pins 4 & 5. That should do it. . .

yeah I followed the diagram.
      • August 24, 2009
    • therthace
      keychange Mine only has 2 wires going to each y end and 4 going to the NDR end and it works without the beeps. It might be a grounding thing, I think there was a post from Laird that touched on a clicking sound along the same lines.
      • August 24, 2009
    • therthace
      therthace

keychange wrote:

Mine only has 2 wires going to each y end and 4 going to the NDR end and it works without the beeps. It might be a grounding thing, I think there was a post from Laird that touched on a clicking sound along the same lines.

hm... I thought there were three lines for each line 2 for covered wires and 1 for naked wire. 2 wires are connected with 4,5 pin and naked wire goes to pin number 2.
      • August 24, 2009
    • therthace
      keychange I wasn't sure which pin was supposed to be ground so I did the quick version to test with and it worked fine so I didn't bother trying to figure it out
      • August 24, 2009
  • mamunoz
    Contributor - Level 1
    2009-08-22
    Hello, I am new in this group and I have a question about the TC 2290. Does anybody know if is possible to control the fx loops using MIDI messages? I have been reading the manual but it does not says anything about wich midi numbers (0-127) can control any of the FX loops in the 2290's rear panel.

Thank you for any comment about this.
    read more...
    0 1,095
    • mamunoz
      scottbmckin Hi,

I think I have it worked out but it a little complicated. This is what you need:

Axess CFX4 or similar midi controller that can take a midi cc change and convert it to a momentary switch output (1/4" mono jack).

You need to build a TC 0050 controller which is basically a resistive circuit that the TC 2290 can recognize through the Assign input of the TC 2290.

You connect as follows:

Midi out of G System to the midi in of the CFX4. The midi out of the CFX4 into the midi in of the TC 2290. Set 4 CC's on the G System to control the momentary relays of the CFX4. You will also control PC's with the G System. Note you can assign 4 switches on the G System to control the CFX4 relays.

Connect the CFX4 to the TC 0050 then connect the output of the TC 0050 to the Assign input of the TC 2290.

The trick is that you will have to build a TC 0050 but you will use the switches of the CFX4 instead of standard foot switches. You can use either mono or stereo jacks for the TC 0050 depending on the leads you use. I can email a diagram if you need it.

Thanks
      • August 24, 2009
  • jansenh
    Contributor - Level 1
    2009-08-19
    So, the RH450 will handle a 4 ohm load. At the same time, it can handle 3 RS210/RS212 cabinets, each being 8 ohms. 3 of there cabinets is less than 4 ohms...?

Will it be safe to use 1 RS210 cabinet with an Ampeg STV410HLF (4 ohms) powered by a RH450?

Cheers, Henning - Norway
    read more...
    0 2,578
  • scottbmckin
    Contributor - Level 2
    2009-08-07
    Hi,

Does anyone know if you can control the TC 2290 with the G System Relays.

There is a pedal called the TC 0050 which is a switcher pedal for the TC 2290. This switcher can be used to switch on the delay and switch loops on and off in the TC 2290.

The TC 0050 schematic can be found on the link below:

http://www.vollton.de/d_handbuch/signalb_tc_1280.pdf

Looking at this schematic could the relays of the G System be used as momentary switches. If they could then a converter box could be created housing the resistors and jacks.2 No TRS on one side (from G System) and 1 No TS on the other (goes to TC 2290).

Basically you would have as follows

G System SW1 (TRS-TRS Cable)
    -> [Conveter box] TS-TS (Cable) -> TC 2290
    G System SW2 (TRS-TRS Cable)

The Tip and Ring would be used for SW1 Relay A/SW1 Relay B and the same for SW2

The set up is similar to amp switching but with a resistive circuit in the middle.

Any thoughts or help on this would be appreciated.
    read more...
    0 949
    • scottbmckin
      Rob In my understanding the TC2290 has midi, so you could use midi out of the G to midi in of the TC2290.

Cheers,

Rob
      • August 7, 2009
  • Agent00Soul
    Contributor - Level 2
    2009-08-03
    Hi everybody -

I just bought an RH450 today. I was wondering if any readers or admins had any favorite settings they would recommend? For example, what do you like to dial in, and presumably save to memory, for rock, funk, jazz etc.

I'll post some of mine once I get some time in with the amp.

Cheerio,
    00Soul
    read more...
    0 7,459
    • Agent00Soul
      BASSically Hi there.

I think that's a good question.

If I can get some time I will take a pic of the settings I have been using. Along with the P eq's

Can you post pictures on here?

BASSically Speaking
      • August 15, 2009
    • Agent00Soul
      jansenh Hi!

A basic rock n' roll Ampeg SVT'ish (at least to my ears) can be tuned in by dialing in the following as a starting point:

- 10 o'clock SpectraComp

- 9 o'clock TubeTone

Then add some boost on the frequencies you desire, which for my Fender J played with a pick is boosting a few clicks Lows and a few clicks HiLows. This depends on the cabinets you are using, the room, your playing style, the music you are adding bass to and your sonic space.

Cheers, Henning - Norway

http://www.myspace.com/bluesbassmann
      • October 19, 2009
  • mcnach
    Contributor - Level 2
    2009-08-02
    I have an RH450 and a single RS210. Pretty much loud enough and sweet sounding and covers my requirements whilts remaining very portable.

I have a gig coming up in a small sized club where I may have to rely on my own amplification. A friend of mine has a 1x15" Ashdown cab he doesn't need, rated at 300W and 8ohm. I thought it could be a reasonable partner for the RS210 cab, allowing me to have more power and handled by an extra large speaker.

The only reason I'm a bit concerned is regarding the impedance of the RS210. If it were teh usual 8ohm, I'd go ahead and try it. But with the RH450 being able to deal with three RS cabinets... I'm a little confused, and afraid of causing damage.

So, TCE gurus... am I ok to use the extra 1x15" 8ohm cab in addition to a single RS210?
    read more...
    0 10,912
    • mcnach
      BASSically The RH 450 will run your RS210 and the Single 15. Load will be 4ohms.

But you will be flattened by the great bottom end the 15 will give you and probably continue using it.

Try it you'll like it..

Cheers

BASSically
      • August 15, 2009
    • mcnach
      mcnach Thanks for that. Right after I posted it I noticed the clear "8ohm" indication on the back of the RS210 cab, I was just a bit confused about the ability to run 3 of these with the RH450 head...

Anyway, I have the 1x15" cab, in fact I now own it. It's a small sized cab, 'though, so it's not as powerful on the bottom end as a regular 15" cab. It's an Ashdown ABM MINI 115. The cab is only a bit bigger than the fron ot teh speaker, measuring something like 48cm x 47cm x 34cm, and it's very light too.

On its own the 115 cab is noticeably darker than the RS210 (I have the tweeter set at around 11 o'clock). I haven't used it side by side with a regular 115 but from memory I think I can notice it doesn't move as much air...

When I first tried both the 115 and the RS210 I smiled a lot

I love the sound of the RS210, and my settings were adjusted for that cab alone. Adding the extra one first of all sounded louder, and a with a deeper bottom end that somehow went beyond just changing the EQ, can't describe it better.

I have the 115 on the bottom, and the RS210 vertically on top, so the three speakers are in line. I think it's pretty nice, and really portable.

I haven't tried it live yet, for rehearsals I use the RH450 with existing cabs at the rehearsal space we hire, and the past couple of gigs it was the same situation. But at home it sounded realy nice (although obviously I couldn't try it at anything near the volume I'd use live).

Later this month I have a gig for which I need to bring my rig, so I'll see how it performs. And two weeks later I have a similar gig where we actually share stage with another band. They're friends of ours and their bass player is currently amp-less, so he'll be playing through mine too, which will give me a chance to hear it from the audience's perspective.
      • August 15, 2009
  • GreatRain
    Contributor - Level 1
    2009-07-29
    Firstly, I've done this and loved the result, though in the back of my mind I wonder...hmm...is their a possible gain/power issue to this approach? Could I damage the unit?

Here's the application: I play a Taylor T5 and an Acoustic 814. I like to put an A/B box first in line, then route to a distortion unit (tube screamer, that sort of thing), then into the Gnatural, then out to the PA/amp, whatever.

This lets me do a few things. First, I can keep both guitars plugged in and not have to switch cables on stage. Second, when playing acoustic...bypass the distortion and just use the Gnatural the way it was meant to be.

OR, I can select the T5 and run it clean....OR kick in the distortion unit and toughen it up to get blues leads, etc. to scream. An added benefit is that I LOVE the effects of the GNatural layered on the electric. My T5 also needs a little boost to be on par with the Acoustic...so I also use the Distortion unit as a basic gain boost without messing with the tone too much.

Anyway.....it's a win win and gives me all the options I need with a very small footprint on stage.

My only concern is that I've not heard of anyone else running this way....and while logically there shouldn't be any issues.......I though...hey....isn't this what forums are for?

Sharing is caring...and I hope this is helpful to others out there.

I'm planning on submitting a few other posts re: the GNatural. I've been using this exclusively on stage since I bought it ..and have dug deep through nearly all the features. Would love to share some of the cool things this rig is great at.

Minor Gripe: TC.....if you have time to design all these features.....it would be a great idea to pass the details on to the user. I personally love dinking around to find good stuff but this unit is MUCH more powerful and useful than anybody would guess from the supporting documentation you've put out. You'd sell more if you'd share more.

No hard feelings though.....this is an exceptional product!

Looking forward to input....
    read more...
    0 4,382
    • GreatRain
      HuskyDog Hi,

I am looking to use my G Natural for some electric work to save taking a separate effects board with me, but I need a light crunch sound. I am interested that you use a distortion pedal, It sound like it all works well. What make of pedal do you use?
      • February 19, 2012
  • Al_W
    Contributor - Level 2
    2009-07-15
    Hello all,
    I thought I saw a schmatic of the Rivera FS7 Footswitch and how make a cable from that. I have a Rivera Chubster 40 Amp and would like to control Channel switching from the G-System. I also thought I saw that I probably wont be able to control the boosts and stuff but Channel switching in itself would be cool. I emailed Rivera from thier website but have'nt heard from them.

Thanks for any input
    Al
    read more...
    0 7,349
    • Al_W
      Mike_Charles Hi,

I have a Rivera Venus 6 and the footswitch pinout for it is very much like your amp as I understand. PM me and I'll send you the pin out. You should be able to control all 4 functions with the relays on the G System.

Mike
      • July 15, 2009
    • Al_W
      Mike_Charles I've just found you can get the cable from Rivera if you want:

https://www.shopatron.com/product/part_number=FS7-4F/746.0.56.0.0.0.0
      • July 21, 2009
    • Al_W
      Al_W Thanks for the info Mike. I finally found some DIN Connectors tho (without having to purchase 100 or 200 of them that is), so I am going to try to Fabricate one first. Appreciate the schematic also. I can foward it to anyone who wants it also. I will also post my results once I have made it.

Al
      • July 21, 2009
    • Al_W
      Nohr Hi! Did you get the G-system to switch channels, gain and Ninjaboost on your Chubster? I just bought one and I´m rather curious..
      • April 8, 2011
    • Al_W
      Jude Anybody have a wiring diagram for River Fandango FS-7 footswitch, or anywhere i can get a cable to do switching with G System relays (8 pin DIN to 1/4
      • October 24, 2012
  • Crispy
    Contributor - Level 2
    2009-07-14
    I've just bought the Blackstar Series One and want to use it with my G-System for channel switching.

The amp has MIDI channel switching capability but if possible I'd like to avoid the going down the MIDI route.

The footswitch connector is a 9 pin plug so what I need to know is can I manufacture a cable that goes 9 pin to TRS.
    Maybe something like this? http://www.flightstore.co.uk/prod/ICOPC478/

I'm not sure whether that would work as the amp has 4 channels and not sure how the relays would work with that. Maybe it'd have to be 9 pin to 2 TRS cables?

If this is something that's not possible I'd greatly appreciate any advice on how to use the MIDI facility to switch channels.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
    read more...
    0 12,783
    • Crispy
      Laird_Williams

Crispy wrote:

I've just bought the Blackstar Series One and want to use it with my G-System for channel switching.

The amp has MIDI channel switching capability but if possible I'd like to avoid the going down the MIDI route.

The footswitch connector is a 9 pin plug so what I need to know is can I manufacture a cable that goes 9 pin to TRS.

Maybe something like this? http://www.flightstore.co.uk/prod/ICOPC478/

I'm not sure whether that would work as the amp has 4 channels and not sure how the relays would work with that. Maybe it'd have to be 9 pin to 2 TRS cables?

If this is something that's not possible I'd greatly appreciate any advice on how to use the MIDI facility to switch channels.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

It is unlikely that you will be able to purchase a suitable cable unless the amp manufacturer makes one. If you get the pinout for the 9-pin connector from the manufacturer, I can help you work out how to make one.
      • July 13, 2009
    • Crispy
      xyphod Why don't you want to go down the Midi route?

If you have a G-system you have a basic midi controller anyway. Just one cable to go between the two.
      • July 14, 2009
    • Crispy
      Crispy Hi Laird and thanks for your offer of help.

I messaged Blackstar and they were very prompt in their reply.

Here's what they say.

The Series One footswitch interface has four pins (pins 6, 7, 8 & 9) corresponding to each of the four channels. To select a particular channel, it’s pin must be momentarily connected to a common pin (pin 5). I don’t know the TC system intimately enough to know whether it can provide that kind of function – four separate momentary switched outputs. I would recommend the MIDI route as a simple trouble free solution – one cable is all that is required, and programming the amp is a doddle. Another (more costly) alternative would be to use something like the G-LAB switching system with the Blackstar S1 adapter.

I have to confess I'm not really up on electronics but if that reply means I can get a cable made up to use the G-System channel switching relays I know someone who can make me the cable. I had similar issues with my Mesa F-100.

It does sound like Blackstar recommend MIDI though and tha manual has a whole section dedicated to MIDI channel switching with a list of which MIDI programs select which amp channel.

Here's what the manual says:

To set up MIDI channel switching, simply connect the MIDI controller's MIDI out socket to the MIDI in socket on the rear of the amplifier.

The controller should be set to transmit program change messages (this is usually the case). From new, a Series One amplifier is set to OMNI mode and responds to program change messages on all MIDI channels. Changing "patches" on the controller will change the selected channel on the amp. The default settings for each program change number are shown in the table below

1 Clean

2 Crunch

3 Overdrive

4 Overdrive 2

5 Clean

6 Crunch

7 Overdrive

8 Overdrive 2

I don't need to type all that table but this sequence repeats right up to 128.

If MIDI is the only solution what do I need to make this work? Will the G-System go direct into the amp or do need a MIDI controller?

I've never used MIDI before so excuse my lack of knowledge on the subject.

Thanks again in advance for any advice.
      • July 14, 2009
    • Crispy
      xyphod Connect the two together via a midi cable.

On the G (can't remember the menu options off hand) you can setup the numbers that should be sent to

i.e. on c0-1 -->send 1 (clean)

on c0-2 -->send 4 (overdrive 2)

Bobs your uncle
      • July 14, 2009
    • Crispy
      Crispy Hi

I was reluctant to go down the MIDI route as it's something I have little knowledge of. I thought I might have to buy an external MIDI controller.

It does sound quite simple though. So I can run the G-System straight into the back of the amp and the MIDI facility on the G-System will change the channels as long as I assign the correct MIDI program change to each preset?

Sounds simple if I'm understanding it right.

Any suggestions on good quality MIDI cables?
      • July 14, 2009
Go to page